Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The Unofficial Guide to Game Creation - Updated Recently!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> The Unofficial Guide to Game Creation - Updated Recently!
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/16/2007 15:32:52   
EragonZZZZ

About: The Unofficial Guide to Game Creation

As you might have gathered from the title, this guide covers the steps you need to take to produce any sort of online, console, or PC game.
While it doesn't go into detail about every single step, many of the beginner questions such as, "How do I start?" or "How do I hire a team?" are covered.
Note that this guide is exceptionally basic, so if you have ever played any type of game you may feel I am insulting your intelligence with certain things. Just take from this guide what you can. Also, it is geared toward game creation WITHOUT helping tools (like Game Maker/RPG Maker) but I feel everyone can benefit from this.

Each step has a list of programs/things required for each step.

1 - What Every Game Needs

Required: You

Before you begin, as I'm sure you're very eager to, sit back and think: "Am I prepared to do this?" Creating a game can be a daunting task, especially for a newcomer to the world of online game production. Depending on what kind of game you are making, there are various technical requirements, but most games share three very basic things:

• Graphics - These give the player something to look at as they play. Good graphics can make a game interesting, intriguing, and much more fun. (exception: text-based games)
  • Story - Almost every game has something behind it, a reason that what happens in the game...happens. This can add a whole new dimension to gameplay and get the player involved. (exception: simple games like Pong)
  • Engine - No, not a 'vroom vroom' engine. The engine is the code, the programming, that drives the game and makes things happen. Sometimes this is the simplest part of the game, but often it is quite complex. You will not find any game on the market that doesn't require an engine or some sort of code. RPG makers themselves are the engine, with pre-made commands that tell the engine what to do and ways for you to modify the engine. You may not get these last few sentences; just know that your game needs programming.

If you are making the game on your own, you will need to fill in for most, if not all, aspects of these three categories. If you ARE working on your own, you may want to simplify your game (especially if it is the first one you have ever created. Let's quickly dissect one of the first and simplest games out there, Pong. If you don't know what Pong is, click here. Play for a bit, then read on.

As you can see, Pong is *very* simple. It has no storyline, so the creator didn't even need to worry about that section. All Pong has is basic graphics, and some code (the engine) that makes it run. Pong needs:

• Two squares, one for each player. These are programmed to move back and forth, one via mouse control and one with the computer's help.
  • The ball, which bounces from player to player and off walls. Also programmed to do so.
  • Some Pong games have score, which is tallied up..using more programming.

Now that you know what a game requires, if you still want to create one, read on!

2 - Brainstorming

Required: Pencil and paper, or some other way of writing down ideas

First, think of the basic category you want your game to fall into - shooter, RPG, text based, etc.
Then, using that as your guide...let your imagination run wild! Anything you think of that you like, write it down! Have a crazy idea for a dungeon? Or a super weapon you've always wanted to be able to blast away tanks with? Sure, why not? This is brainstorming - we can be realistic later.

After your mind has calmed down a bit, start getting rid of the REALLY impossible things, like creating the next Halo with Flash, or a Multiplayer option with an arena based inside a fully animated active volcano. Get a list of things you want in your game, and start thinking about what you'd need to do to get it in game. Yes, this includes programming. If you don't know any language/RPG Maker, still figure out basically what you would need to make this happen. Also, choose the tool you will use to make the game, like Flash or whatever, and learn how to use it. This phase may cost money if you want anything more than trial versions, unfortunately. But trials work just fine in most cases. Also figure out what you will use for the game art. Paint is *iffy* but works, and there are many free graphics options available.

Then move on to the next phase...getting yourself a team (although you may not want one, this is advised).

3 - Dev. Team! Assemble!

Required: Internet access, other, willing game designers

So...the prospect of creating a game seems too large for you to handle on your own. That's understandable. As you can imagine, breaking down the work helps a lot.
Assembling a team is rather simple. Simply make sure you have a good idea of what you want out of your game (a game plan, pun intended) and ask if people are interested.
You can do this on many different development forums; the Q & A forum here works as a start. See if any of your friends are interested; maybe you have a family member who is absolutely amazing at art. Personally, I know my mother is excellent with drawing, so I could technically use her as a resource if I wanted to.

However, you have to remember that just because you are the project lead doesn't mean your team does the work for you. All members of the team should contribute equally; actually, you as the creator of the project should contribute the most. Also, avoid signing on people for random or 'nothing' tasks, like "story conceptual" or "demo engine creation". While large games have these, yours probably doesn't need it. More people = more time spent keeping track of who needs to do what for when. Mind-blowing.

To summarize, when creating a team, remember:

• Ask people you know well and/or can contact easily
  • Do your share of the work
  • Assign people to useful positions so the game moves forward

Also, due to certain factors and my desire to make this guide USEFUL, the steps that follow will pretend that you are the artist, the coder, or storywriter, or whatever. This just means that for those of you who DON'T assemble teams or join them will have something to go by.

4 - Get Art Smart I: Conceptualize

Required: An art program (MS Paint will do) OR pencil/paper and a scanner

Ah, an actual step to physically create something you can use for creating a game. I'm still not using tutorial format, because this is your game, and you need to do things your own way. Messing up is how you learn. And you really can't mess up concept art.

Concept art is something that brings previous ideas you had in step 2 to life! You've probably seen many examples of concept art, and if you haven't, just read the DF design notes. Plenty of art (although some is finalized) pops up there. Ah, here's some concept art for a movie that used CGI. That's rather similar, wouldn't you say? Movie Concept Art

Now, the way I usually create concept art is I sit down at a desk and just start doodling. For those of you who want more specific instructions, here's my first tutorial-esque writings:

EragonZZZZ's Guide to Doodling (for concept art)

1. Draw a random shape. Any sort of line or squiggle will do.
2. Now, visualize. Think...can that shape be a body? An eye? A claw?
3. Extend on your visualization...make it a reality. Take the claw, add two more. Then a hand. Then an arm. And so on.
4. If you don't like something, just erase it and redraw. Experimentation is the best way to create new ideas.
5. Flesh out your creation. By now you should have some idea of what your doodle is turning into; if my doodle was a lizard, I'd start adding details like scales, possibly making the body more reptilian.

Penndragon's Detailed Guide to Sketching Concept Art

1. Brainstorm what you would like to draw, but think about the whole drawing and not just the small details or you can severely ruin the quality of your drawing.
2. Now is time for drawing. Pick up your recently sharpened pencil, sit up straight with your elbow suspended and free of movement, make certain a good eraser is within your reach, and have your medium (i.e. paper) on a flat, sturdy surface. Lightly, sketch out a stick-figure that will eventually become your drawing (this would include inanimate objects too).
3. Lightly, draw basic three-dimensional shapes on your stick-figure to give the major parts of it mass: spheres, cylinders, and cubes are good shapes to use. You should begin to see the basic outline of your final drawing.
4. Start connecting the shapes together. Begin curving sharp corners that need to be curved. Remember to apply more pressure on the pencil, but not too much. Also, you may want to start erasing unnecessary lines.
5. Start adding major details. This would include hands, muscle definition, etc.
6. Begin adding small details. This would include eyes, finger nails, etc.
7. Tilt your pencil and use the broad side of the graphite end to shade your drawing at various pressures to simulate depth, shadows, and highlights. You may want to practice shading on a sphere before applying it to your drawing.
8. Add any finishing touches. This could include erasing more unnecessary marks, darkening lines, coloring, etc.
9. Congratulations! You have just finished your drawing! Remember that this is just the beginning of your journey: you still have experiment and practice often to increase your drawing skill. Later on, you'll be able to do all of this in less steps and end up with better results

• Once you're done, SAVE THE DOODLE. It doesn't matter if you think its icky, or stupid looking. Trust me, things happen when you translate it onto the computer and shade it. Gone are those nasty erase marks; gone are those random lines you couldn't quite erase.
    I have a whole wall of things to flashitize, some of it from months ago. And most of them done in math class. (this is not encouraging you to ignore teachers..but some DO help your mind wander)
  • Another thing to note is that your concept art will most likely look nothing like that of J, the Hollow, Ghost, or any of those artists. If it does, kudos to you! But if it doesn't, don't be discouraged. Many of them have years of experience that you probably don't have - but very well could gain! Practice helps art. Sounds corny, but it does. I'll be posting one of my original Flash pieces vs my most recent so you can see an example. And before you get all "No wai!" with me, note that I've taken a RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) course in basic drawing: They encouraged building your own style, not getting discouraged, and most of all...practicing.

Check this link out:
Drawspace
They've got tutorials covering perspective, shading, line art...all from novice to advanced. If you want to draw, and you don't mind learning via the web, you WILL love this site. I've read multiple tutorials and they are all clear, precise and often quite helpful.

4 - Get Art Smart II: Finalize

This section will cover creating art for in-game, whether it's sprites, stationary art, backgrounds, or anything else.
Tall order. So wait patiently. :D

Enjoy, and hope my guide helps you along.

-EragonZZZZ

< Message edited by EragonZZZZ -- 8/31/2007 17:34:14 >
AQ  Post #: 1
8/16/2007 15:53:09   
  toidiedud

Yeah but how do you make a game?Didnt even say that...

AQ DF  Post #: 2
8/16/2007 16:26:09   
Krieg

Creating a good game takes time and patience. You can't just read a guide and know everything about creating a game. ^^

Anyway, nice guide you're starting, Eragon. Although you said it's "exceptionally basic", I aim to help you make it more detailed. ;)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
8/16/2007 16:38:05   
EragonZZZZ

Thanks Penndragon ^_^
if you have any Game Maker/RMXP or whatever/RPG Maker knowledge, that would help. Very much so.

And @toidiedude, this guide tells you how to make a game. You don't just jump in and start.
If I wanted people to immediately rush in without thinking or planning, I wouldn't have made this guide.
I'm trying to help you with this guide, not hinder you.
AQ  Post #: 4
8/16/2007 16:40:50   
  toidiedud

No I want to know how to make a game..I already have the ideas but I dont know how and I dont want to buy anything...any ideas?
AQ DF  Post #: 5
8/17/2007 7:17:39   
Arzock

Yes, Like todiedud said It dosnt actually tell you how to make a game it tells you what you need to make a game for instance what programs should you use How do you create the graphics etc.
AQ DF  Post #: 6
8/17/2007 9:44:43   
Ace Frost

To all of you whiners: read
It's not done yet.
Have patience.
Great things require time to develop.
AQ DF  Post #: 7
8/17/2007 9:50:31   
steelsoldier

Looking good
AQ  Post #: 8
8/17/2007 20:42:46   
independence quiad!!

toidiedud and Arzock: Creating a game require knowledge in a program like Flash or RMXP, Therefore if you didnt have knowledge in these area's making a game would be very very hard. you may wanna do some reseach into which program you use. and then once you do that you should read up and learn there languages. because a tutorial like this couldn't teach you a language to which program you think of using.
Me out
AQ DF  Post #: 9
8/17/2007 20:42:50   
Krieg

quote:

ORIGINAL: toidiedud

No I want to know how to make a game..I already have the ideas but I dont know how and I dont want to buy anything...any ideas?

Well, I don't know much about the existing softwares out there, but here's what I recommend for free "quicker" solutions:

For 2D Games: Download Game Maker Lite and learn how to use it. I think its very limited when working with 3D (forgot the restrictions).
For 3D Games: Download MS XNA Game Studio, learn how to program C#, and learn how to model 3D.

Otherwise, you could always learn a programming language and try to go from there. If Eragon lets me, I'll try making a C++.NET supplement to the tutorial.

Eragon: I'm a little busy this weekend, but I should be able to start helping you soon. Don't want you to think I'm all talk and no show. ;)

< Message edited by Penndragon -- 8/17/2007 20:43:49 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 10
8/20/2007 14:55:37   
EragonZZZZ

Wow, long absences = no fun.
Yeah, I was in Maine, so an update should come today, I'm typing it as we speak.
Just gotta pick up my train of thought.

and Penndragon, thats great, I'll add those.
Actually, XNA Game Studio is more of a library of methods, functions, and objects that make creating a game easier. So its not as easy as Game Maker.
But still good.

Go ahead and make the C++ tutorial, I don't use it much so a refresher is going to be much appreciated.
AQ  Post #: 11
8/24/2007 21:52:41   
EragonZZZZ

*Bumped*
With a ton of new info.

The Drawing section is now complete, as far as concept art is concerned. Gives some helpful tips and the OFFICIAL most amazing link.
As online drawing sources go, it is the best.
I'd put it here, but I want you to read it >:D

Oh, and people?

Comments are nice :]
AQ  Post #: 12
8/24/2007 22:09:27   
Krieg

Nice. ^_^

Sorry that I haven't been able to help lately. This time, I promise you I'll get something in within the next week. Otherwise, you could just put me on your ignore list.

Anyway, I disagree with your drawing strategy. Doodling is good for coming up with ideas, but you should also consider those who already have an idea in their mind of what they want to do. I believe that when creating concept art with an idea already in mind, the person should first begin with a stick-figure type pose and start fleshing the details out from there. It's a more traditionalized approach, but it works. I can make my first addition to this tutorial a supplement to the doodling method if you'd be willing to add it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
8/24/2007 22:24:18   
EragonZZZZ

Yay!

You now have a section. Copypasta and fill in the blanks, then repost :D
AQ  Post #: 14
8/24/2007 23:05:15   
Krieg

You're really trying to get me to do something, aren't you. <_<

I'll get it done... -_-
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 15
8/31/2007 16:44:57   
Krieg

Last day of the week. I guess I'm cutting it a bit close.

Anyway, it's not completed yet, but this is what I have so far:

Penndragon's Detailed Guide to Sketching Concept Art

1. Brainstorm what you would like to draw, but think about the whole drawing and not just the small details or you can severely ruin the quality of your drawing.
2. Now is time for drawing. Pick up your recently sharpened pencil, sit up straight with your elbow suspended and free of movement, make certain a good eraser is within your reach, and have your medium (i.e. paper) on a flat, sturdy surface. Lightly, sketch out a stick-figure that will eventually become your drawing (this would include inanimate objects too).
3. Lightly, draw basic three-dimensional shapes on your stick-figure to give the major parts of it mass: spheres, cylinders, and cubes are good shapes to use. You should begin to see the basic outline of your final drawing.
4. Start connecting the shapes together. Begin curving sharp corners that need to be curved. Remember to apply more pressure on the pencil, but not too much. Also, you may want to start erasing unnecessary lines.
5. Start adding major details. This would include hands, muscle definition, etc.
6. Begin adding small details. This would include eyes, finger nails, etc.
7. Tilt your pencil and use the broad side of the graphite end to shade your drawing at various pressures to simulate depth, shadows, and highlights. You may want to practice shading on a sphere before applying it to your drawing.
8. Add any finishing touches. This could include erasing more unnecessary marks, darkening lines, coloring, etc.
9. Congratulations! You have just finished your drawing! Remember that this is just the beginning of your journey: you still have experiment and practice often to increase your drawing skill. Later on, you'll be able to do all of this in less steps and end up with better results.

I'll try to add in my own examples later on and revise it a bit, but this should help get people started.

< Message edited by Penndragon -- 8/31/2007 16:45:38 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> The Unofficial Guide to Game Creation - Updated Recently!
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition