Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Using The Pentool/Pathtool - A big guide [GIMP]

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> Using The Pentool/Pathtool - A big guide [GIMP]
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/17/2007 8:42:58   
LightningIsMyName

Edit (August 2010): This tutorial is very outdated... A newer version can be seen here: http://lightningismyname.blogspot.com/2008/06/gimp-path-tool-aka-pentool-tutorial_15.html

Before we start, we need to define several stuff:
  • PathTool (aka PenTool) - A tool use to create paths. Picture
  • Point (aka Anchor) - self explanatory :D
  • Line (aka Segment) - a connection between 2 points (not more and not less then 2)
  • Control (aka Handle) - a special kind of point that controls the curve of a Line. From each point you have 2 controls - one for the line that ends at the point and one for the line that starts at the point.
  • Stroke - one or more Points (Anchors) which are conected to each other. A closed stroke is a stroke where the first and last points are connected, and an Open Stroke is a stroke where the first and last points are not connected.
  • Path - a path is a collection of one or more strokes

Stroke 1: This shows a classical curved stroke
    Stroke 2: This is a Polygonal stroke
    Stroke 3: This is a Curved stroke - note that this is an Open stroke

PathTool Tutorial - Basics

Here is a basic demonstartion of using the Pentool/PathTool:

Now we need to explain 2 more things:
    An Active Point is the last point (anchor) that you clicked on. A point can also become active if you drag a line that it's connected to (see explanations in the illustration below)
    A control (handle) becomes visible only if the point it's part of is active.

in order to curve the line, while in "design" mode click on a line and drag it, notice that handles will come out of the dots - these are used to control the curve of the line. if you click on the handle and drag it you will be able to control the curve of the line more accurately.
    by controling the handles you can have up to 2 curves per line so if you want more you will need more dots.
    in the animation above I clicked on the line and dragged. I did it once next to each dot. that way i can control each one of the 2 possible curves.

Now let's try to be more practical: let's create something!

What happened?! why didn't the new point Connect to the old one?

The answer is simple: GIMP connects the new dot only when you selected one of the dots at the ends of a path, when a dot is selected it will look empty and a frame will appear in the place you should have a full dot.

In order to reconect this dot Ctrl+Click on one of the dots at the end to connect it. most of the times you won't need to do this since the dot will be connected automatically but it may happen if you have more then one dot selected or a dot which is no at the ends as your current selection.

we will now delete the newly created dot (by clicking the backspace or delete buttons on our keyboards) and connect our second dot to the first one.

PathTool Tutorial - Detailed Explanation

Note: Cursor pictures are updated for GIMP 2.4

Shortcut Keys:
    Design - Deafult
    Edit - Ctrl
    Move (Stroke) - Alt

Anchor Actions:
  • Deleting - Holding Shift on Edit (Ctrl) mode and clicking on it
  • Moving - Clicking on it and dragging in Design mode.
  • Adding at end - Design mode, active point should be open at one side
  • Adding at the middle of segment - Clicking on a segment in Edit (Ctrl) mode

Line (Segment) Actions:
  • Moving - Clicking on it in and dragging in Design mode
  • Connecting - Clicking on a point in Edit (Ctrl) mode while both active point
  • and the point you are clicking on are unconnected at 1 or 2 sides

Control Actions:
  • Moving (When Visible) - Clicking on it in and dragging in Design mode
  • Moving (When Invisible) - Clicking on it's Point (Anchor) and dragging in Edit
    (Ctrl) mode

Stroke Actions:
  • New - Clicking anywhere in design mode when the active point is connected on
    both sides or when there is more then one active point
    Clicking Shift while in Design mode and then clicking anywhere you want
  • Move - Clicking on a stroke and then dragging while in Move (Alt) mode.

Note: The "Move Stroke" cursor is also used when using the move tool on
    "Path". Don't get confused - when moving with the move tool the entire path
    wil be moved - not just the specific stroke

PathTool Tutorial - Selections and Stroking

Selection - a selection from a path is basically the area inside the path. When the path is Open, it's treated like there is a straight line from the starting point to the end point.

When we have an area covered by 2 paths (or any other even number) it won't be selected. Imagine a ring in real life, the edges of the ring are 2 circles when one is inside another and the area covered by both rings is the hole.
    When we have an area covered by 1, 3 (or any other odd number) it will be selected. When we have an area covered only by one path it will be selected since this is how we defined the selection. When an area is covered by 2 (or any other even number) paths it will be a hole so when we have 3 (or any other odd number) it will be full again since we have 1 path inside a hole (the 2 paths cancel each other so we we have nothing in this area except for the one path and then this is the selection)

Stroking - stroking a path (to stroke a path) means to draw along it's lines.. In order to do this simply Click the path you want to stroke inside the paths dialog (Image window->Dialogs->Paths) and then go to the Image window->Edit->Stroke Path...
    In the dialog that will pop you can select how to stroke the path, which tool to use it and you can set many other options - try playing with it.

Many thanks to the people who bumped this lately and showed interest in this - I saw this tutorial was important to people and that made me finally finish it.

< Message edited by LightningIsMyName -- 8/9/2010 19:58:23 >
  • AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
    1/7/2008 11:34:21   
    ShadowBlitz

excellent for beginners
    y didnt i make that
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
    1/7/2008 11:47:46   
    zenron the great

w00t shadow blitz is using my avvy

I swear I've seen this before...only wit alot more comments...anyway good job LIMN as always
    DF  Post #: 3
    1/8/2008 21:49:23   
    Pie Munchies

That is a wonderful tutorial. I learned how to use the pathtool on my own, but this would have made it a helluva lot easier. :D

That last one kind of makes me want to make vector brushes now. xP
    AQ  Post #: 4
    4/12/2008 17:04:47   
    4jj11
    Banned

this deserves to get bumped just because it helped me alo when I was just starting gimp:D
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
    4/12/2008 17:14:09   
    master

The use of animation was a good idea.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
    4/12/2008 21:41:51   
    Sonicbeam

Animation was a good idea but some pictures would be helpful as well.
    DF MQ  Post #: 7
    4/13/2008 11:27:44   
    LightningIsMyName

Bump - finally finished.
    Many thanks to the people who bumped this lately and showed interest in this - I saw this tutorial was important to people and that made me finally finish it.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
    4/13/2008 12:06:53   
    Cool Dragonz

Man, you're creative with that. Thanks for the cleaning out, although it is my big speciality :D
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
    4/13/2008 13:08:01   
    Mo

Wow...this is really a great introduction to the pathtool
    AQ MQ  Post #: 10
    4/13/2008 13:43:34   
    master

Holy- I didnt even think of some of that stuff.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
    4/15/2008 14:25:14   
    LightningIsMyName

Thanks - glad it helped some people =)
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> Using The Pentool/Pathtool - A big guide [GIMP]
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition