Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=AQ= Glacial Short Staff

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> [AQ Comparison and Strategy] >> [Equipment Comparison] >> Equipment Comparison >> =AQ= Glacial Short Staff
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/8/2008 7:49:20   
Aquadorian
Watcher of the Deep

Glacial Short Staff

Here is the Encyclopedia entry, thanks to Reyn Roadstorm: -

Glacial Short Staff

This is the thread in which to discuss comparisons between the new items and others. Unlike guide-like threads created via Comparison Posting you are not required to lay out comparisons in a formal manner in here. But remember - because you'll have read the forum rules of course - do not ask questions here like "what's best for me" / "which is the better weapon" - this is not a Question & Answer forum. Nor is it a general game discussion forum. Only post if you have something useful and relevant to add / discuss.

Threads created via the Comparison Posting forum (which then get moved to this Equipment Comparison forum once approved) normally remain on a permanent basis, whereas this =AQ= one is likely to be allowed to expire.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
2/8/2008 7:53:48   
Elaith

The GSS may see a change to a 7.5% boost to water damage pending discussion twixt the KoO.
AQ DF  Post #: 2
2/8/2008 7:55:17   
UZ

Interestin' weapon. This is what I got with 200 INT/DEX, 63 MOB Defences for the Diamond Dust:

DD --> 263.70
I9 --> 206.20

I did not take the 10% boost to it.

I think this is a new mages' must-have weapon!
Post #: 3
2/8/2008 8:14:41   
Gus.

With a 63 Adjusted Defense I seem to be getting different results: (200 Dex|Int).

231,646 Diamond Dust
212,020 Evil Shadow
210,832 Ice Nine

63 Adjusted ~ Lv.130 Pure Mage (200 Dex|Int|Luk):

258,899 Diamond Dust
234,000 Ice Nine
236,673 Evil Shadow

45 Adjusted ~ Lv.130 Balanced Hybrid or Pure Mage (Same results with 200 Dex|Int, with or without the 200 Luk):

275,250 Diamond Dust
249,000 Evil Shadow
234,000 Ice Nine

Sure, it's a nice difference, but when you consider the efficiency, Ice Nine is a lot better. Personally, it seems a nice weapon for Mages, but overall, I'd say it's better stored. Lightning Rod's Spell bonus applies to all elements (Vs. Water/Ice for this one) and is much more efficient. When you're using a weapon slot, I don't think something that quickly consumes your Mana is good. Also, I don't see two weapons of the type in the same persons inventory.

Pos-Sweep I9 according to Silaren's Numbers: (9 * 9-27 with 27 BtH and 117% Stat Bonus with a 342 MP Cost).

45 or 63 (Same values) Adjusted Defense ~ Lv.130 Pure Mage

293,625 Ice Nine Pos-Sweep
234,000 Ice Nine

Mana Efficiency:

1.300 Ice Nine
0.858 Ice Nine Pos-Sweep

63 Adjusted ~Lv.130 Balanced Hybrid

264,553 Ice Nine Pos-Sweep
210,832 Ice Nine

Mana Efficiency:

1.171 Ice Nine
0.773 Ice Nine Pos-Sweep

Pos-Sweep Ice Nine seems quite strong :P

< Message edited by gustavo_l_f -- 2/8/2008 8:20:23 >
Post #: 4
2/8/2008 8:45:14   
shoopi

Very interesting weapon, matches the post-sweep mage genre aswell. If you cast I9 with this staff it's still much more mana efficiant than DD though. But this staff has the potential to give another spell slot (at the cost of Nemesis mace )
AQ  Post #: 5
2/8/2008 9:04:56   
twilightsoul

Here is a pedia entry
DF MQ  Post #: 6
2/8/2008 9:14:07   
UZ

quote:

^^ Those numbers are from Occasus' post in the GGD thread, right?

Actually, nope. But I did the same mistake as he did, and so we got the same numbahs ^^
Post #: 7
2/8/2008 9:20:38   
Occasus

Huh, we must truly "think" alike as I always calculate by pen and parer >.> lol

Even so, the weapon is great for it's spell boost(s). Even if you won't be using the DD spell.

Ofcourse, just like LR, another ice weapon to swap between store and main is strongly advised... hehe

--~ Ax
AQ  Post #: 8
2/8/2008 9:34:21   
The Terminator

Bah. 200INT,

Regardless of MOB, calculations are:

PSI9: 293.125
I9: 234
DD: 275.25

* note: the weapon that the caster is holding is longsword. *

DPT:

PSI9: 0.8570906
I9: 1.3
DD: 0.9723214
DD(Non Guardian): 0.9075

Seems that DD beates Ice Nine Post sweep. Pretty cool I guess.

< Message edited by The Terminator -- 2/8/2008 9:38:54 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
2/8/2008 10:05:49   
shoopi

PSI9 will have 27 BtH as opposed to DD 21% which you didn't take into account. Also PSI9 will do more damage in a single cast, so you can't really say that DD will be better
AQ  Post #: 10
2/8/2008 11:14:13   
The Terminator

Can anyone please tell me how to convert the MOB into the damage average formula :p? (sorry if I broke the rules, lol)

@shoopi: maybe your right. At higher MOB DD will start missing more (bear in mind it only does 6 hits. One hit missed is 1:6 ratio of damage lost. I9 provides more accuracy and less ratio (1:9) of damage lossen if you miss.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
2/8/2008 14:12:46   
DoddiP123

hmm, LR gives 5% bonsu to all spells, and 10% to energy
GSS give 10% to ice and 5% to water(might be raised to 7,5%) and 0 to all others. I think that a pure mage should get this
AQ  Post #: 12
2/8/2008 14:40:06   
Knightstar2001
Helpful

All the Spell boosting Weapons have been changed. here is the Quote from Kalaynr

quote:

Original-Kalaynr
For the record the following changes have been made:

The spellboosting weapons now boost stat damage as well.

Lighting Rod: 10% Bonus to Energy Spells, 5% Bonus to Other Spells (Previously 10% Bonus to all spells but didn't effect stat damage)
Glacial Short Staff: 10% Bonus to Ice Spells, 5% Bonus to Water Spells (I'm thinking about adjusting it to 7.5% Bonus to Water Spells).
Sila's Staff: 5% Bonus to All Spells (Thinking about giving it a 6.25% Bonus to All Spells). (Previously 10% Bonus to all spells but didn't effect stat damage)
Blackbones: 5% Bonus to Darkness Spells (Thinking about possibly giving it a 10% Bonus to Darkness Spells) (Previously 5% Bonus to Darkness spells and didn't effect stat damage)

I wonder how this will affect peoples tactics and inventory choices. This also means that spells used with theses weapons get a stat bonus with the lowered spell boost which means that their damages have to be reconfigured to show the new damages. Battle On!!

-K
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 13
2/8/2008 16:18:32   
Sereph

The comparisons between Ice Nine and Diamond Dust have been pretty well gone through so I will go ahead and trust all you awesome number crunchers… :)

As far as the Glacial Short Staff having a freezing attack as the second option I believe either the Shinobi Shozoku or Wizard Robes freezing attacks beat it hands down...

Shinobi ShozokuSui-Ka Cast costs 80 mp’s and as long as the monster’s ice resistance is 100 or over it almost always works.

Wizard RobesFrostbite costs 130 mp’s and almost always freezes monsters with 100% to ice. If magic defense is 20 or below it freezes for 2 turns, otherwise freezing them for 1 turn. The 2 turn freeze only works once per battle.

Glacial Short Staff20% chance of freezing if the hit connects. You have better odds of freezing something with one of the ice katanas…

So now we are left with the obvious. The Glacial Short Staff adds a 10% boost to ice and a ??% boost to water “water boost should be clarified before too long”… If you compare the Lightning rod to the Glacial Short Staff we should come to the conclusion that since the Lightning Rod not only adds a 10% boost to energy and a 5% boost “to all other elements” that the Lightning Rod is the hands down winner. I’m not seeing the advantage to paying 240k in gold to get a 5% boost to one element and getting a spell that is comparable to one that already exists. Am I missing something or just too dense to get why the Glacial Short Staff would be worth having???

< Message edited by Sereph -- 2/8/2008 16:20:32 >
AQ MQ  Post #: 14
2/8/2008 17:19:29   
Sereph

@ Full_Silver

I bought Magic Ice Katana yesterday and sold nightmare mace once I got it, getting rid of MIK the day after I bought it makes me sick to think of... Besides, GSS still only adds bonuses to ice and water; I will gladly accept the trade off of 5% less damage for ice and keeping LR because it covers all the elements with a bonus... And as long as we are taking the sweep into consideration by the time ice nine gets swept I will probably have enough gold to throw away on GSS just to keep in storage if nothing else… ~shrugs~ I just don’t see it being worth it at the moment…
AQ MQ  Post #: 15
2/8/2008 22:37:16   
ayashi

Like seraph said, as soo long as LR gives a 5% boost to all elements and a top-of-the-line single element spell, there is no reason to get GSS.
(which makes me think,consdering the price/lvl, that LR will be nerfed by the sweep to make it only boost energy spells).
Trading a weaponslot for it is a poor tactical choise considering the global increase of spells MPcost, meaning mages will have to relly on weapons to kill of the mosnters, as opposed to nowdays mana-dump.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 16
2/9/2008 5:53:34   
ayashi

That would be nice, as soo long as spells MP cost are in par to MP regeneration abilities. If we have to spend 1 to two turns to regen enought MP to fire off a spell it ends up as spells dealing half to a third of their damage per turn. And with only enough MP for about 5-6 spells before running out of MP, those spells would have to be really hard hitting (try double actual the damage)!
Since this is not the case, 100%special magic weapons are a very cripping tactical use of a weapon-slot. A mage can bear one, maybe two such weapons (with inteligent use of temp weapons) but not more.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 17
2/9/2008 11:14:09   
Sugar

I think this is simply one of the most fantastic pieces of equipment ever. I love it. I am completely rethinking my storage and strategy now. After having re-equipped with this and repurchased the highest level black bones I am truly psyched and enjoying this game with my main character again. It is, in fact, a much more powerful character now than ever before. If this is balance......well....whatever...........

quote:

ORIGINAL: ayashi
A mage can bear one, maybe two such weapons (with inteligent use of temp weapons) but not more.

So wrong in every way.

< Message edited by Sugar -- 2/9/2008 11:15:07 >
AQ  Post #: 18
2/9/2008 12:13:01   
TiamatRoar

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that you can probably get by with a good water weapon if you use this for your ice-weapon and run out of MP. Most monsters weak vs ice are at least somewhat weak vs water and will probably be almost dead by the time your mana is gone, anyways.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
2/9/2008 13:31:19   
Everest
Moving Mountains

I'm not so sure about this staff...
I've always been a fan of the lightning rod, because there just isn't a super strong energy weapon out there. But to get rid of nemesis mace? That's easily one of the strongest weapons a mage can have, especially when it's triggered. Or the magic ice katana, which is also an extremely useful weapon.
To throw either of these away for a spell staff, when we already have a couple choices for good, solid ice spells, one of which is far more mana efficient at the moment, seems like a bad choice to me, although I suppose the argument for water weapons being used when a mage runs out of mana makes some sense.
Post #: 20
2/14/2008 1:28:07   
greatanthony

I only bought LR cuz we adventurers don't hv an uber energy spell.
But I wouldn't want to get this staff cause I'm low on money & MP, I think I'll be happy with I9+nemesis mace. (once I hit 90)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 21
2/14/2008 8:32:15   
Sugar

quote:

ORIGINAL: EverestAllure

I'm not so sure about this staff...
I've always been a fan of the lightning rod, because there just isn't a super strong energy weapon out there. But to get rid of nemesis mace? That's easily one of the strongest weapons a mage can have, especially when it's triggered. Or the magic ice katana, which is also an extremely useful weapon.
To throw either of these away for a spell staff, when we already have a couple choices for good, solid ice spells, one of which is far more mana efficient at the moment, seems like a bad choice to me, although I suppose the argument for water weapons being used when a mage runs out of mana makes some sense.

Alternatively, many energy monsters are weak to ice as well. You could just put poise away.
AQ  Post #: 22
2/24/2008 12:15:07   
ilko67

I wonder if diamond dust works with empower ???
Post #: 23
2/24/2008 14:50:10   
ayashi

It does.
420-450MP for a 354.75DPT (at anything under 50MOB)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
2/24/2008 15:44:24   
David Bi 200000

I just bought the weapon. It costs 240k, and its skills aren't as good as I had predicted. The latter two skills costs more than 100mp, when all it's worth is probably around50 mp.

P.S. the worst weapon I've bought yet!

~Please say why. Otherwise it's just spam~Aqua

< Message edited by David Bi 200000 -- 2/24/2008 16:21:38 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> [AQ Comparison and Strategy] >> [Equipment Comparison] >> Equipment Comparison >> =AQ= Glacial Short Staff
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2014 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition