Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The Art of Constructive Criticism ~ Remake!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> The Art of Constructive Criticism ~ Remake!
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/28/2008 18:54:23   
Cool Dragonz

The Art Of CnC | CC
C
omments and Criticism | Constructive Criticism
Remake!

Hey all.

This is a remake of the three year old, too out-date guide. I updated this because it was a too small guide containing not so much :D.

The beginning ~ How do I exactly begin?

Well, firstly, the most important thing is, relax. You cannot give proper CnC with stress. Relax and concentrate yourself deeply into the tag. I will take for example, a really random chosen one.

Made by Lady Alora ~ Thanks hun! :D

Now, secondly, find an organized selection to work with. I do Background, Render, Text and Overall, but you can do Colourmatching, Blending, and Depth too, for example.

Set up your position.
Background:
Render:
Text:
Overall:

And now? How do I put this CC in text?

Bad CnC!
Thanks to Sneevil_of_Evil ~ Suggested to add

• I (dis)like the … . And then without continuing, just passing on the next subject. If you want to give proper CC, read this good and keep in mind that this isn't CC, it's just a compliment/item without understatement.
  • Everything without an understatement of why it should be better that way.
  • Everything you think that has to be done. Think in the artist's perspective!
  • Everything which is not true.
  • Every item that isn't allowed the Universal Rules. Like swearing words, spamming, etc.

Now, let’s make a start. After relaxed and calmed down, you begin on your first part. I would recommend you to put the image above your CC, so people will be able to notice about which image you are talking about.
    Background: We don't see any much of it, because the render has fit in it really good. This has some pros and cons. Like that the beauty of the background cannot be displaced, but that it's very cool on overall look, because the render is finally the most important thing in the image.

This is just a begin. Work this good out, try to set yourself in the tag as if you have the mission to search that tag to imperfections.

I have noticed a little black, flowing around the background. This could be cool, if there was a deep hole or something similar behind the render. As I may guess, this isn't true. It's more a fantasy background than a hole, because it should have the flow from light to dark, by nearing the hole. It doesn’t have that, which adds a negative point to the tag.

You now have found a weakness. Try to make this as clear as possible and try to let the artist know what you are talking about. Try to convince the artist that your CC is true, and they should have done it better.

Furthermore, the background is awesome! I really like the C4D used, to make the people see a kind of a speed in it. An exiting feeling. Although, I don't get the white spot at the right lower place of the tag. You should have filled this in, because it adds more emptiness in your tag, which you don't want ;). There is also a yellow spot, directly next to it. Blur that, because it's being noticed as a shape, which is really destroying the beauty.

It's important that you don’t give orders. You let them decide, so choose your words properly. Now, we have finished the background.

Doing exact the same for the render and the text.

Now, we try to do exactly the same as for the render and the text. Since there is no text, the artist doesn't really receive a minus point, but a text adds some specialness to the tag, so if the text was good, the artist could have received some plus points.

Render: The yellow flames/vinyls really fit with the render. Red and yellow could work together to make a cool outcome, which you have proved here. The red is the beautiful clothing of the render; the yellow is the effect that comes off that item. I don't know if it’s magic or slashing with a sword, so you should have made that more clearly. Also, around that effect, the place is too dizzy and blurred, you should have made there sharper looks. Not too sharp, just a little bit.

Remember to act nicely. Always. If you don't like anything of a tag, don't shout it and use rule-breaking swearing words. We are still calmed down and relaxed. Act smoothly and try to make it as clearly as possible for the artist.

I like that yellow, because it just goes wild, like life does. You cannot control that yellow vinyls when you do magic. The effect could have used a tiny bit more contrast, so you should have rendered it and heightened up the contrast a tiny bit. I would totally erase that cape (?) on the left. It destroys the nice flow, the excited feeling the tag let's you feel. Erase it and the background should fit nicely there.

If you don't know exactly what the spot is where you want to refer to, put a " (?) " to make it clear you don't understand it. Try to locate the spot and make it as well understandable as possible to the artist. Because he/she is your target. You are not doing this for anyone else, so aim your concentration fully on that artist.

The ending.

Try to not make it too large. Large is ok, but too large might make the artist bored of reading it. Try to do it normal, not short. Like 500 words should be enough. Try to put an end to the CC.

The rest of the tag is alright. I don't have any addition anymore, I think.

A nice ending phrase :D.

Overall: It is a cool tag! A nice tag, made by your hands! I would "repair" those spots as good as possible.

The overall is just a short of the whole thing you have written before. Just conclude some things.

If you are a rater/want to become one, this is very good for you too. By doing CC, you understand what is wrong with the tag and what could be better.
    So, try to conclude out of the text you have written what you should have given. This is just a feeling for me, if I notice these plusses and minuses, I just get the feeling of the rating.

I am not a rater, but if I would be able to rate this, I'd give: ~High-Novice – Low-Mod.

I hope this guide helped you into the artistic world of CC, hope to see you trying to do this too!

~CD

< Message edited by Cool Dragonz -- 3/29/2008 6:54:01 >
  • AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
    3/28/2008 18:56:09   
    Lady Alora

hun, this should probably be in the Q&A
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
    3/28/2008 18:59:20   
    Cool Dragonz

Hun, http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=1046915 is in The Gallery too and this is a remake of that.. :D
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
    3/28/2008 19:08:28   
    biG frend

Great, one problem this only covers tags this is kind of worse some respects.
    You should of made the tut a lot more general.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
    3/28/2008 19:09:25   
    Cool Dragonz

I tried to do my best :D. It's at least better than the sticky, IMO, and it should help the people to get approved as well :D.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
    3/28/2008 19:14:26   
    Bone_funny

make some bad CnC examples?

ill let you use this tag(it might be easier if the tag stinks)

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
    3/28/2008 19:16:41   
    Cool Dragonz

As I said. Phrases like "I like the..." etc. are bad, but I'll point them out, thanks for the sugg SoE :D. Remember that bad CnC examples aren't only against bad images.

< Message edited by Cool Dragonz -- 3/28/2008 19:17:29 >
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 7
    3/28/2008 19:19:33   
    .Passion//

Need to go farther in depth wit h this hun.
    Post #: 8
    3/28/2008 19:22:36   
    Cool Dragonz

This is just a basic CC guide my group with huns. It is an update on what now is called that sticky. I have gone a bit deeply on it, but I don't plan to work it out to a perfect guide which makes from a new member a professional CC'er.. :D
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
    3/28/2008 19:35:46   
    Saerokeon

Lower the size, it's bugging me. Otherwise, it's a great re-make of Rose BlueStar's old thread.
    Post #: 10
    3/28/2008 19:37:33   
    Cool Dragonz

Which size?
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
    3/28/2008 19:39:27   
    Saerokeon

Standard. If it's bigger than that for no apparent reason, it looks bad. I learned that in second grade when I had to make a one-page story, and wrote a sentence in an enormous font.
    Post #: 12
    3/28/2008 19:42:02   
    Cool Dragonz

Lawl, xD. Didn't notice that it was size 3! :P
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
    3/28/2008 20:53:27   
    Grafh
    Jade Rose

FAQed and moved to the Gallery Q&A. And you forgot to PM me, Nicky did that.

The old guide is in the Gallery area because I feel that it should be remain there, if you want to post any other helpful threads, they belong in the Q&A area (the reason why we have it).

Rose's thread is still accurate, until at some later date I decide to remake it.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
    3/29/2008 6:51:09   
    Cool Dragonz

Yeah, I spoke on MSN with Nickeh, that's why I said that, actually meant that she PMed you. Thanks Grafh ^.^ . You might want to add a link in your post in the Approval Requests thread?
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 15
    4/13/2008 15:34:38   
    Cool Dragonz

Bump, I got a strange feeling that not everyone still knows these techniques :D.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 16
    4/13/2008 19:14:48   
    lguan

quote:

I (dis)like the … . And then without continuing, just passing on the next subject. If you want to give proper CC, read this good and keep in mind that this isn't CC, it's just a compliment/item without understatement.

Saying that you dislike something is giving criticism. I'm not saying that "i hate that tag" is encouraged, but things like "I don't like the colors in this tag" are fairly reasonable, as they help the artist and offer them advice. It is not necessary to say why you don't like everything they don't like.

quote:

Everything you think that has to be done. Think in the artist's perspective!

Well, everything that YOU would think, would obviously come from YOU. And since everyone here is an ARTIST. YOU must be an ARTIST. And therefore, whatever one thinks must come from the artist's perspective :). Ya?

The original contstructive criticism thread may be old, but it's still very helpful. It's not outdated in the least bit whatsoever. Ironically, that "small" guide offers a lot of help to artists in the Gallery. It offers advice on how to give proper criticism but without examples or an outline. I like the idea your giving, but this is basically saying that you expect people in the Gallery to give C&C based exactly or very similarly, which would be BACKGROUND: da da da da, DEPTH: da da da da, COLORS: da da da da. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what all that you've done here, but I'm just pointing some things out :).

< Message edited by lguan -- 4/13/2008 19:15:03 >
    AQ  Post #: 17
    4/14/2008 10:07:04   
    Cool Dragonz

I know you just want to help lguan :D. Therefore, I really thank you :D.

But MonkeyKing: I mean, if you dislike the colors, at least set in it which colours you would suggest. Would yellow fit better? Or do you like red more fitting in that tag?

Lol, yes, I know exactly what you mean. I put it a bit in a wrong phrase. I meant with the artist, the person who makes that tag :D.

Yes, holding a format-ish item is recommended, since you can simply give the fullest information with that. I don't say it has to, I suggest it :D.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 18
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> The Art of Constructive Criticism ~ Remake!
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition