Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: (DF) Mordred's Vengeance: A Tale of Grief, Despair, Anger, Heroism, and the Heart

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> RE: (DF) Mordred's Vengeance: A Tale of Grief, Despair, Anger, Heroism, and the Heart
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/10/2012 18:27:48   
Mordred

Mordred Tumultu was once more lounging on his throne in Illaniâr, with some of his most loyal servants by his side. To his left was Galbradi in his full garb, and his fellow Judge Magister, Alister. As the Eludinari Empire grew in size, Mordred found himself relying on the Judges more and more for covert missions, so he decided to split it into two different bureaus. One with Galbradi at the head that served as a secret special force that was known to a very limited number of people in the universe, while the other bureau with Alister at the head, where Judges would serve as the elite soldiers of the capitol and Imperial Guard, while also commanding the army as a whole.

Alister himself was a human who had shown great promise as a Judge, and was a brilliant tactician. As Magister, his armor was personalized, much like Galbradi’s. It was of a lighter stock, but still incredibly durable, and styled after that of Roman gladiators or Papal guards. It, too, was fashioned of the black metal with golden runic tracings engraved upon it. The Magister’s helmet was similarly styled after ceremonial gladiator helmets, with many holes for him to gaze through the heavy visor. On his shoulders was a dark grey cloak identical to Galbradi’s, and a massive bladed mace hung on his belt.

To the Emperor’s right was a thin man clad in dapper black clothing, standing at attention. His face was pale and narrow, and half-moon spectacles were positioned on his jutting nose. His black hair was cut short and swept back, giving a formal look to his face. He was, at most in his late twenties or early thirties. His garb was in the likeness of a butler; a white shirt with a black vest over that, and a black tuxedo with coat-tails hanging to his knees. Both his black slacks and vest had white vertical lines running through their fabric. His feet were clad like hardened shiny insects, peeking out their pointy heads from underneath the cuffs of his pants. Overall, he had a very stiff, formal look to him.

“Jeeves,” the ruler began wearily, motioning to the man at his right. “I told thee that as my personal butler, thou wouldst bear witness to some of the greatest events of this universe…”

“Of course, sir,” the butler responded curtly, inclining his head. “I shan’t breathe a word of this to anyone.”

The Lord nodded with gratitude. “It is best if the specific details of the conversation at present art kept between thou and me.” He then turned to Galbradi. “All the preparations hath been made for my speech to the public, Galbradi?”

“Yes, m’lord,” Galbradi said dutifully as he bowed. “The announcement has been made, and the holoscreens are all prepared for broadcast upon your word.”

“Excellent,” the Eludinari mused. He pulled himself upright in his throne with great purpose, and clapped his armored hands together twice. A small device flew through the air from the stairs at the edge of the circular tower. A few feet in front of the throne, it stopped in midair, and began to split into four segments. Each segment floated away from each other, forming a rectangle traced out by thin beams of blue energy. Once in place, the area within those lines lit up with light as the holoscreen was fully set up. The screen turned black with the red runic insignia of the Eludinari Empire in the middle.

“Establish a communication link with the Pegasus Nebula,” the Emperor ordered clearly. The screen responded with a small bar below the insignia, which filled steadily. When the bar was filled completely, a woman’s voice called out from the holoscreen; “Small fortress detected on asteroid Zeta-0048734. Would you like to establish the link here?”

“Yes,” Mordred replied curtly. At that, the screen changed, showing a darkly lit room with a shining table in the center. Around the table were four beings, conversing with their selves. One of them, a Defiler, stiffened up immediately.

“Communications link detected,” the robot cried out coldly. “Congregation compromised.” The other members of the room snapped up their heads to look on at the screen of the room, beholding a smirking Mordred and silent Jeeves, Galbradi, and Alister.

“Who are you?” the pale-skinned woman scantily clad in black garb and a mask upon her face questioned.

“Greetings, Autarchs,” the Emperor said coldly.

“Nobody outside this room knows of that!” the bony woman of the Virin’s host cried out. “Our very existence is but a rumor within the Network!”

“Duly noted,” Tumultu replied. “But I care not for such things.”

“Answer the question…” the black-clad woman hissed.

“I was getting to that…” the Eludinari chided. “Some of thy number are but a tad confused by this situation, Dark Madder. I am Mordred Tumultu.”

The Defiler’s inner mechanics whirred and buzzed as it went through a database search within its archives of data. “Subject; Mordred Tumultu,” it called out mechanically. “Prominent Lorian elf intent on creating a perfect world. Destroyed DragonLord Order before banishment through Limbo. Present whereabouts unknown.”

“An elf?!” the crab-like woman encased in a blue carapace scoffed.

“Not quite, Naaseria,” the pale man retorted.

“Who are you to contact us?” Madder questioned.

“Thou didst clearly ignore Z29K’s report…” Mordred noted. “Now, if I mayst attend to business-and no interruptions this time, Jarik, please. Now, as I was saying… Ah, yes. It hath come to my understanding that thou four art prominent members of the organization known as the Network.”

“You have heard correctly,” the Defiler affirmed.

“Excellent. Now, as the Autarchs, thou art also some of the more dangerous members, if not the highest ranking. As such, I issue an ultimatum; thou shalt go forth to thy superiors, and begin to dismantle the Network.”

“That will never happen…” Jarik Z’kaa, the Virin, seethed.

“As I suspected,” Mordred noted. “If thou shalt not heed my words, then I shalt have no choice but to dismantle thy Network myself, through the instruments of war.”

All four occupants of the room began to laugh. “You, wage war on the Network?” Naaseria managed to question incredulously between bouts of laughter.

“No one could ever hope to defeat the Network!” Z’kaa exclaimed as she regained her composure.

“Thou canst not believe me?” Mordred interposed.

“No one could ever take such a threat seriously,” Z29K said in its robotic voice.

“Very well, then,” Mordred said nonchalantly. “I suspected as much.” He then nodded at Alister, who immediately pulled a small device from his belt and began to speak into it.

“Hey, what’s your crony doing?” Madder interrogated with mock seriousness as she pointed at Alexander.

“Ordering the assault on core Network planets, including thy own four worlds,” Tumultu replied with as much brevity as one discussing their local sports team. At this, the four Autarchs stiffened up and stopped laughing. “Oh, now I see that I have thy attention.”

“Y-you’re bluffing,” Jarik said nervously.

“Am I?” Mordred questioned, leaning forward as he raised an eyebrow. “Even now, our armadas are hammering thy homeplanets, as well as that of other Network leaders. We shalt later withdraw for a short time, so as to watch the politics unfold.”

“Politics?” Z29K questioned.

“Indeed. Network leaders, if they’re still alive, shalt receive a video of this very conversation. Then, thy identities shalt be known, and the Autarchs shalt find their selves in a moste… unpleasant position. Even if not, thou shalt inevitably be questioned as to why thou didst fail to defend the Network when they needed it. Thou hath made the decision to enter open war with me, and shalt pay the price at the hands of thy fellows.”

The Autarchs were silent as they went over all possible outcomes in their minds. They were ruined. Eventually, Dark Madder found words to speak. “What kind of monster are you?”

At this, Mordred rose up from his throne, and unfurled his two raven wings from under his cloak. This alone served as his answer.

“Damned Defiler,” Naaseria cursed. “I thought you said he was an elf, yet he’s clearly a brilhado!”

“The records never lie,” Z29K replied in a harsh metallic tone.

Tumultu put on an exasperated look at this response. “Thou art some of the moste prominent Network members, and yet thou canst not see beyond thy eyes?” At this, four more raven wings emerged from under his cloak, giving the Emperor an almost seraphic look to him.

“I-impossible…” the Virin’s host breathed.

“Ah, so thou doth indeed see me for what I truly am,” the Lord noted.

“What?” Madder questioned. “All I see is a brilhado with six wings.”

“Incorrect,” the Defiler interposed. “You know the stories as well as any of us, Madder… The Eludinari…”

Beneath her mask, Madder’s face contorted with mixed feelings of awe and confusion.

“Subject; Eludinari,” the Defiler read out, briefing in what it knew. “Earliest race of beings of this universe. Situation; extinct.”

“Clearly, the reports are wrong,” Mordred said bluntly as he took his seat, his wings withdrawing back under his cloak. “Thou hath seen a fully realized Eludinari before thee.”

Madder, in a fit of rage, lashed out with her staff, destroying the screen with a blast on Uniforce magic. The screen on Illaniâr was filled with static. “Terminate link,” Tumultu commanded, a smirk on his face. “Oh, how they didst squirm… Jeeves?”

“Yes, sir?” the butler asked, turning to his master.

“Alert the people of my arrival.”

“Yes, sir,” Jeeves replied obediently, bowing on his way down the stairs.

Now, we shalt wait for the word to have spread… the Emperor thought to himself. They waited a full fifteen or twenty minutes before Tumultu thought he had given the people enough advance. Without saying a word, he rose from his throne and began to stride over to the stairs. Galbradi and Alister followed silently in his wake. They slowly made their way through the gilded halls of the Imperial palace. It was a place of grandeur, crafted out of a metal of pure white and embellished with gold.

On their way down, the path came out in the form of a ramp hanging outside the palace walls. Now under the clouds, they could see a glorious, thriving metropolis below them. Buildings rose like monoliths in an organized pattern, and the people were lined out on banisters and railings of their layered city, waiting for their beloved Emperor to give his speech. Swarms of hovercraft flew through the spaces between buildings at breakneck speeds, much like how blood flows through the veins of a body.

The three continued without pause, traveling down the palace. They eventually found their selves emerging onto the banister of one of the smaller spires of the massive palace, jutting out from all the others and connected by only one narrow passageway. As soon as Mordred stepped out from the shadows cast by the tower above, holoscreens all over the planet-wide city lit up with a blown up image of his pale face. The people all over burst out with cheers and applause, and instruments from all over the universe blared out in rejoice. Alister was by his side, and Jeeves, who had arrived there first, nodded to his master. Galbradi, however, remained in the shadows.

The Emperor cast his gaze over his followers, beholding members of a great variety of races from all over the universe. He then cast his gaze downwards at the green abyss below. The entire palace hovered above a massive crater which was a gaping hole to the core of the planet. At the core was a mass of pure Void energy, serving as the purest of mana cores ever created by the Engine of Creation. Tendrils of magic rose from the glowing mass, shifting idly as if in a breeze.

“People of Illaniâr!” Tumultu called out, his voice booming enough to be heard from miles away. This was enhanced by the holoscreens projecting his voice, especially for those unable to hear him. Underneath his all encompassing mantle, which fully hid his body from below his pauldrons, his hands clenched into fists. “Today is a glorious day for the Eludinari Empire, and for those who art enslaved by the forces of Chaos!” This was met by more appraise and cheering from the masses. “Today, we hath declared war on the Network! For those who don’t know, the Network is a vast, intergalactic organization that is comprised of some of the universe’s vilest, cruelest, and heartless beings of the universe! They hath enslaved entire planets under threat of Uncreation by their ‘master,’ The’Galin, and commit crimes against all sentient life! Sowing chaos and destruction, they travel from planet to planet, fulfilling their moste base desires of greed and malice! They claim to serve The’Galin, but truly, they doth only serve their own desires of wickedness and immorality! Murder, rape, lying, and torture are their greatest tools, and they doth use them freely on a daily basis! This is why we wage war on them, just as we stand before the gods! They art a menace to all we hold dear; peace, prosperity, and above all, Order! They themselves embody chaos as they cut each other’s throats and manipulate their superiors! Even as I speak now, our armadas art embroiled in conflict over key Network worlds in an effort to strike an early decisive blow! But this shalt not be easy… As a vast organization that spans across the universe, they rival even our Empire in power. But we shalt win in the end!”

As he said this line, the holoscreens changed from his face to differing scenes of space combat. Massive behemoths of space carriers and cruisers with varying swarms of fighters were engaged with multiple Network fleets, ranging from pod-like Exo ships to mechanical Defiler ships. The on-looking crowd cheered when Network ships exploded into colorful displays of debris, and would boo or fall silent when larger Imperial ships were likewise downed.

“I assure thee, I shalt do all that I can to end this quickly, but remember, this is not my sole effort,” Mordred continued. “Thou hath willingly chosen to take on a new lifestyle of order, and shalt likewise willingly aide us in this fight as thou canst. Those who art willing to fight, I implore thee to do so! But even if thou lack combat abilities, thou canst help in other ways, from as little as showing support for our forces! Live each day as I hath called thee to do so is more than enough to show thy support!”

The crowd burst with an uproar of support, almost shaking the very planet with their enthusiasm. With that, Mordred took his leave, but not without noticing his younger phantom self nod approvingly from atop a nearby spire.

< Message edited by Mordred -- 4/17/2012 23:35:57 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 26
5/16/2012 23:26:00   
Mordred

Taran awoke with a start to the sound of arguing and angry hissing. He picked himself up from the ground to find himself surrounded by the snake-like Malagath, each of them shouting at one another and waving their arms emphatically. Before he could discern what was going, he felt a hand grasp his shoulder. Startled, he whirled around to see Luxord’s grim face. “Oh, it’s you, Luxord,” the teen breathed a sigh of relief. “I thought it was someone picking a fight. These guys look riled up enough to start one.”

“Religion has a habit of stirring anger,” Luxord noted.

“They’re all arguing over religion?” the boy questioned, straining his voice to be heard as the orc led him through the crowd.

“’Rumors’ might have been an understatement for the situation here,” the samurai replied dryly.

“Where’s Arianna?” Taran questioned, suddenly realizing she was not with them.

“Relax, Taran. She is with the High Priest of Ilgathar, trying to calm the crowds.”

“Is that what we try to do?"

“Aye. We will not force them to accept him as a noble god, but we will try our best to keep them sated. An angered mob easily sides with the Empire.”

As they forced their way through the crowd, the boy could hear bits and pieces of what was being said. Cries of “Ilgathar hassss betrayed usssss!” and “You are blinded by your love for him!” were common outcries against the Dream God and his supporters.

Eventually, they forced their way to the outskirts of a mob that surrounded a raised platform. On this platform was a Malagath garbed in red robes, with a tall, fez-like hat atop his snake-like head. At his side was Arianna. The two were trying in vain to calm the crowds and convince them to go in peace.

“Pleasssse, my good people!” he cried out, struggling to be heard over the crowd. “Thissss technology is a gift from our mighty lord Ilgathar! One doessss not look critically at a gift! Jusssst look at what he hassss done for-for you, and me, and-and, your hatchlingssss! Yesssss, the hatchlingssss! Think of them! Will you raise them to question their giftssss? To question why our prossssperity comessss from a greater being? Godssss work in myssssterioussss wayssss; no one can claim to know their ulterior motivessss!”

“How can you, Old One, talk of prossssperity?” one of the rioters protested. “What isss prossssperity if it issss not real? Ilgathar hasss cheated ussss out of reality!”

At this, Luxord politely tapped on the protestor’s shoulder, drawing her attention to him. “Our conceptions of reality may not be true. How are we to know that our dreams are not reality? How do we know we aren’t just here for another’s amusement? You cannot claim this to be an illusion of a reality if you do not first confirm the true reality.”

“Who are you to talk to me about such thingssss?” the reptile hissed sharply. “You are an outssssider; a guest. You have no businesssssss meddling in our affairsssss!”

“That’s not a very nice way to treat a guest,” Taran noted. The Malagath blinked sharply in surprise and looked down shamefully as she mulled over his words. The orc simply nodded with approval before moving on to the stairs up the platform, leading the boy’s way.

“Ah, how good it isss to ssssee you again, Luxord,” the robed snake-being said in a relieved tone as they approached him. “And who might thissss be?”

“Our new recruit,” the samurai replied curtly as he looked over the angry faces below. “How can we help, High Priest Zalthor?”

“Oh, I don’t know!” the High Priest cried out, wringing his wrists as he did so. “My fellow priesssstssss are sssspread thin, and the Fesssssstival of Ilgathar issss in a fortnight!”

“Er, wha-?” Taran began.

“The Fessssstival isssss a celebration of Ilgathar’ssss gift of thissss wonderful technology that hassss brought ussss such tranquility!” the High Priest said with some shock. Mid-way through his sentence, he turned back to the crowd, as if berating them as well, his arms spread wide.

“Er, I mean the fortnight…” Taran mumbled sheepishly as he rubbed his neck and shifted his feet.

“E-excusssse me?” Zalthor inquired, raising a spiny eyebrow. “You-you mean to ssssay youdon’t know that a fortnight is fourteen dayssss?” When Taran nodded, the Malagath’s tail began to twitch with irritation.

“You bring thisss hatchling into sssssuch mattersss?” the priest shouted at Luxord. “He hassss no experience!”

“It was not my decision, nor Enduras’,” the orc noted, folding his arms.

“Where issss that elf, anywayssss?”

“Human,” Luxord corrected.

“You can’t trick me, Luxord; he wassss clearly of the same kin assss Arianna, even I could ssssee that with my failing vissssion.”

The samurai only grunted disapprovingly. When a rock thrown from the crowd struck his helmet at this time, he whirled about sharply, glaring defiantly below him. The crowd instantly quieted down. “Please, at least remain civil!” he called out with a steely voice. “There’s no need to degenerate to violence!” He then turned back to the High Priest, answering with: “Enduras was struck down. There was nothing anybody could do.”

The red-clad Malagath threw his hands up into the air in surrender and turned back to the rowdy crowd, attempting to curb their anger once more. Satisfied, the orc unfolded his arms and placed a hand upon Taran’s shoulder, leading him towards Arianna. “Don’t worry,” he said kindly. “Time tempers all manners of things, especially people.”

As they approached, Arianna took notice of them. “What took you so long?” she questioned in a relieved tone.

“Zalthor kept us up,” Luxord replied dryly. “He doesn’t seem thrilled by our prospects, especially with the Festival so close.”

“Pretty excitable for a guy so old…” the elf muttered under her breath.

“Old?” Taran questioned. “He doesn’t look old to me.”

“Malagath are long-lived, Taran,” the woman pointed out. “They often live well into their three-hundreds, and without a sign of age that you can recognize.”

“Okay, but what’s so important about this festival?”

“Think of it this way,” Luxord began. “It’s their most important celebration of a deity a good deal of people have come to resent. If we don’t ease tensions, imagine the problems that could arise on the day if worshippers had to confront nay-sayers. Tensions are high, and violence seems likely to break out. Should it come to that, the Empire’s likely to provide aid against Ilgathar, and it’d be a matter of hours before the majority of the population turned.”

It slowly dawned of Taran the severity of the issue. “So, if we can’t calm them down in two weeks, we lose?”

“Yeah, we’ll lose the Malagath as allies,” Arianna said dismally. “Mordred’s stacking the pieces for war; when he confronts the gods, nothing will be the same, and no one will be safe.”

“So, what can we-what can I do?” the young man questioned.

“Over there some ways away,” Luxord began, pointing over the horizon, “you’ll find a crowd like this around another platform. One of Zalthor’s priests will surely need your help in controlling the people.”

With a nod, Taran set off, making his way through the crowd in the direction the orc had pointed at. The crowd was difficult to push through, and several hissed at him angrily as he forced his way. He eventually broke free, and his journey for the next half hour was serene with next to no one in his path. The grass below his feet radiated with a soft warmth, and the sky above was a beauty to behold. As he took in this wonderful dream of a virtual reality, he noticed several Malagath curled up and dozing off in the high grass, oblivious to the turmoil of their society on the verge of civil war. Unfortunately, the idyllic trip did not last. Eventually, Taran came to see a mass similar to the last on the horizon, raised voices growing louder as he drew nearer.

With an effort, he climbed up onto the raised platform, and joined the young, red-clad priest of Ilgathar in his efforts to alleviate the public’s anger. Immediately, he found himself thrust into unknown waters. The whole worship derives power concept was completely new to him, and he didn’t quite see the problem of it. Unwise in the affairs of the Malagath, he had fairly little understanding of their situation to convince them to calm down, and was totally inexperienced in the art of debating. He was hammered from all sides by shouting and hissing, vilified to no end. By the time the sun eventually set, they had managed only to convince a minority of the enraged crowd that they were perhaps too violent in expressing their opinion. However, there was one particularly noteworthy event that happened that day…

“What’s the problem with this being a huge dream?” Taran questioned a particularly nasty Malagath. “You’re happy, aren’t you?”

At this, the reptilian-man swelled up in anger. “You lisssssten to me, foreigner! How can you ever be happy, knowing you were cheated out of a reality! Maybe not a particularly great or peacccccceful reality, but a true reality nonethelesssssss! We are mere cattle, while Ilgathar feedsssss off of our worssssship of him and even our perpetual ssssstate of dreamssss! That is tyr-“

The volatile crowd was silenced as a loud, blaring alarm sounded off, pounding them from seemingly everywhere at once. “WARNING; CCCCCENTRAL DREAM MATRIXXXX DESSSSTABILIZZZZING; COLLAPSSSSE IMMINENT. ESSSSTIMATED NEED FOR REPLACEMENT; FIFTEEN DAYSSSSSS.” It was then that panic broke out, and Taran felt himself pulled up, as if something was picking him up and carrying him away…

Taran awoke to find Luxord and Arianna looming over his opened pod. “Wh-what just happened?” he asked groggily.

“We pulled you out,” Arianna said with a worried expression as she helped him out of the pod. “We didn’t want to leave you in that mass panic.”

“Panic?”

“Didn’t you hear the warning?” Luxord questioned, tilting his head.

“Yeah, but what does it mean?” the teen said in a confused voice.

Nhar’whal, the clumsy Malagath, slithered by to attempt to supply his answer. “You know how dream matrixxxxx worksssss, no? It all one biiiiig dream!” As he spat out the word big with his wood-like tongue, he made a wide gesture with his long scaly arms. “We put people in dream. All one dream. But if dream die…”

“Die?” the teen questioned, confused as to what this actually meant.

“Oh, yessss…” the employee replied, his eyes glazing over. “Dreamssss can die. Ssssad thing… They jusssssst wither away, assss if never there… But that not what I mean. I mean dreamer is dying.”

“What he means to say,” Luxord interjected, “is that they have one person in the machine, dreaming. They’re normally very weak-willed, so that the company can essentially build the dream in their head. Then, everyone else is put into that dream. However, that dreamer is dying now. This will be the second time in the company’s history that’s happened.”

“Because they’re such a long-lived race, y’see!” Arianna pointed out. “The first time was a nightmare. It came out of nowhere, according to the records, and if not for President Nhar’jusk, everyone’s minds would have been lost as data.”

“That sounds… terrible…” Taran managed to say.

“It almost was,” the samurai noted dryly. “Come. Nhar’whal will show us our living quarters.” And so, the company worker-drone led them through the identical hallways. Looking confused at some points, he brought them to three wrong rooms before coming to a door with hulking, chrome robots standing at attention by the walls, prepared for any and all intruders. The Malagath stopped outside, bowing has he swept his hands to beckon the mammals through. The door slid open with an audible hiss, showing a room with a table laden with exotic foods in its center.

The table was covered from its head with all kinds of strange vegetation, hunks of odd-colored, steaming flesh, and strange shelled creatures that seemed to throb, even in cooked death. Sitting at the head of the table was a man clad in black robes, a hood pulled over his head and concealing his face in shadows.

“Ah, welcome to our humble abode,” the man said in an eloquent voice with a heavy Italian accent. “Courtesy of the Nhar’jusk Corporation. You’re free to train, meditate, rest, eat, whatever it is that you can do in your spare time.”

“Er, could you pull your hood down or something?” Taran asked tentatively as he followed his companions into his new home. “I’ve had bad experiences with guys in hoods.”

“But of course,” the man replied as he pulled down his hood, revealing an aged face with grey-streaked, slicked back hair and a short-trimmed beard. “I am Salvar. Pleased to meet you, Taran.”

“Er, likewise,” Taran said as he took a seat to Salvar’s left, while Luxord sat to his right with Arianna next to him. “So, is this food… good?”

The black-clad man burst out with a hearty laughter at this. “Yes, Taran, the food is quite delicious!”

At this, Taran hesitantly began to eat the strange foods, to find that they were quite good. They ate together in silence for the longest time, before the teen finally summoned up the courage to question Salvar. “So, Salvar…” the boy began, “what’s with the coat? Enduras wore the same one.”

Salvar dropped his fork at the mention of Enduras, letting it clatter against his plate. He slowly chewed his food, the sounds of munching filling the air that was heavy with anticipation. Chew, chew, chew, swallow. Finally, he spoke. “These coats were specially crafted by Mordred himself to shield his agents from all eyes, even his own. When I defected, I managed to find a coat for Enduras. Together, we have tried to stop the Empire for the past decade and a half.”

“I… didn’t know him very well. Can you tell me what you knew?”

Salvar let out a heavy sigh. “Ach, where to begin with that man?” he began, brevity in his voice. “He was a good man; better than most. When I first met him, some twenty Terran years ago, he was still a young man, with quite a history. Considered a hero by many on his homeworld of Lore. But he was also naïve, and failed to see the Eludinari Empire, then the ShadowScythe, as the threat it truly was. Partly from arrogance, partly from how Tumultu wished to be perceived, and all to his own woe.

“Since the events that transpired fifteen years ago, I had guided Enduras, trying to ‘re-educate’ him about how the universe truly works. Away from the lies and misconceptions spread by the ignorant. It was… only when I had just begun teaching him in shadier methods of victory that your homeworld became of concern. We did what we could, but the damage was done. When the anarchy first broke out, Enduras saved you from the pillaging, only days before the Empire destroyed the planet out of anger.

“We had you put here, and would drop in upon occasion when we weren’t too busy. Meanwhile, we continued our efforts, with limited success. I am… proud of how far Enduras had come. He eventually let go of the old ways he had once held so dear; the fear and distrust of all that is dark. There was only one ‘problem’ with that man; he was always helping people. Oh, he hated having to stand by and watch as people were taken advantage of. He eventually learned that in the long-run, blowing our cover would do more harm than good, but he never could fully repress his desire to help others.

“He was a changed man by the end of his life. Once naïve, he was learned in the ways of evil. Once ever-cheerful, he grew ever more silent and sombre. It… hurt to watch, in some respects. But he had a true cause to champion for by the end. Before, he had a notion of what was good; helping others. By the end, he had a strong conviction of what was good, and how he could achieve it. He devoted his life to stopping the Empire before it could usurp the greater powers, and was devoured by his cause, for better or for worse.”

The room was again silent when Salvar was done with his tale. The profound quite hung heavily, like a soupy fog. Finally, Luxord broke the silence as he turned to Salvar. “What say you to another duel?” the samurai inquired, grasping the hilt of his nodachi and drawing it out a few inches from its sheath.

“Very well,” the black-clad man replied as he rose from his seat. The two strode off to a wide, open area within the chamber, free of obstacles. Salvar turned sharply towards the left, while the orc turned right. When they stood a good distance apart they turned to face each other. As Luxord whirled around, he drew forth his nodachi, a simple, five-foot long blade with a slight curve. He held it in both of his hands with the blade pointing down towards the ground diagonally, the edge facing the tanned man in a defensive stance. In Salvar’s gloved hand materialized a long, thin rapier of strange fashion; it had a swept hilt of gold, and a blade of faintly reddened metal. This he held in his left hand lightly, ready to either go on the offensive or take a defensive stance.

The two circled each other slowly; Salvar’s movements smooth like those of a cat, while Luxord’s were slow and methodical, analyzing every move made. Finally, the black-robed man leapt out, thrusting his rapier at his foe’s torso. The nodachi shifted in the orc’s armored hands, easily deflecting the thrust and gracefully flowing into his next move as he brought the long blade down on his opponent. But the robed man was too agile, and easily sidestepped the blow as he sent for a burst of blue and black flames right at Luxord’s chest, striking a solid blow.

The hulking orc staggered for a bit, but he quickly regained his stance, his armor leaving no signs of scorching or damage. With a quick swipe, the samurai slashed the air in front of him, faster than Taran had thought possible for his large frame. The samurai had used some magic behind his blow, for a gust of wind cut through the air along the blade’s path, knocking Salvar back with a solid wave of Wind magic. In the same move, he raised his right foot and slammed it down with force. The metal flooring in front of him parted and tore as a chunk of earth ripped through its hull, levitating for a moment at knee-level. With a controlled kick, the orc sent this chunk right at his foe’s stomach.

Salvar was quick, though, and with a clean slice, the edge of his rapier cut through the earth, leaving him unscathed by the projectile. He then quickly moved on the offensive, harrying the orc with a flurry of blows that drew sparks against the blade of his nodachi. They dueled in close quarters as such, neither gaining or yielding any ground against the other. After some minutes, the nodachi’s single edge was pressed against Salvar’s neck, and the tip of the red rapier between Luxord’s eyes.

“Another draw,” Luxord said as a grin broke across his face. At the same time, he pulled away his nodachi and began to sheathe it. Salvar followed suit with his rapier.

“As good a match as ever,” the tanned man said as he chuckled. “I did not expect you to use your Earth magic, though.”

It was at that point that Taran yawned loudly, attracting three sets of eyes instantly. “Sorry,” he said sheepishly. “I’m just kinda tired after today’s events.”

“Well, yer room’s right over there!” Arianna said cheerfully as she sat up, pointing to a door in the righthand corner of the chamber. She then stretched her arms over her head as she yawned, cracking her knuckles in the process. “I think I’ll head to my room for the night as well, guys.”

As Taran began to drag himself towards his own room, he felt a gloved hand on his shoulder. He looked back to see Salvar. “Taran,” he began, an almost fatherly tone in his voice. “In your room, you’ll find a gift from Enduras. It’s a saber; it’s heavier than the fencing sabers you’re used to, and more for cutting than thrusting, but it should fit your style.”

“Thanks,” the boy said groggily. “Thanks for telling me.”

“… He cared about you.”

With that, Taran retreated to his bedroom. Inside was a dresser and a simple, unadorned bed. An actual bed! the teen thought to himself. It feels like ages since I’ve seen a normal bed! As he plopped himself down into its soft embrace, he saw the saber Salvar had mentioned sitting in a display case on the dresser, glittering and shining.

Seconds after settling himself in bed, the lights of the chamber shut off, as if they knew he was about to sleep. But it was not a good night for rest. Taran was wide-awake for hours, tossing in turning as the situation finally, truly hit him. All that I ever knew… was false… An illusion to keep me safe… My parents… Who were my parents? A-and my friends? Do… do I have no one now? His mind was tormented by such thoughts and doubts, and it wasn’t until his tear-ducts had well dried up that he finally fell into the peace of slumber; true, real slumber for the first time…

“So alone…” Mordred murmured to himself on his throne, his armored fingers tracing the patterns on his breastplate idly.

“What was that, sir?” Jeeves inquired, a tray with all the makings of tea-time in his gloved hand.

“The boy…” Tumultu replied, his voice cold. “He truly is… alone… Even under my watchful gaze…”

“Tea, sir?” Jeeves said, lowering the tray for his master to see.

“What?”

“Tea, sir. Would you care for a cup?”

“No, but thank thee, Jeeves.”

The butler ceremoniously bowed and turned on his heel to make his leave back down the stairs of the spire. In mid-stride, though, he stopped. “Sir?” he questioned, hesitation in his voice.

“Yes, Jeeves?”

“You had… mentioned something the other day, to the Autarchs. That you were an… Eludinari.”

“Indeed; so I didst.”

“Well, it may not be my place to ask sir, but… pray tell, what is that?”

The Emperor gazed upon Jeeves with an expression that was a mix of sorrow and joy. “Thou hath not heard of the stories?”

“No, sir. I’m well acquainted with many of the races of this universe, but never have I heard of such a race.”

“I… I can’t claim to know much about them myself, Jeeves… Stories and legends all over the universe claim them to be the first race of this universe. Whether that is true, I can’t confirm for thee. However, I do know that they were among the moste powerful; a race of godly beings, even. But with said power came arrogance, and curiosity. They sought to learn the secrets of the universe… In doing so, almost all of them passed from this plane of existence and this universe to attain said knowledge. Immortality and power meant naught to them without such knowledge. So they left this universe, slowly dying out until all but one had left. I am the very last of my race; cursed to roam this universe without my brethren at mine side.”

“That… sounds like a terrible existence, sir… Have you no one to love?”

The Eludinari remained despondent and passive at this; he merely clasped his hands together and placed his brow upon his knuckles in deep thought.

“I apologize, sir,” Jeeves said as he continued on his journey. “I didn’t mean to go so far.”

Hours passed with Mordred hunched over in his throne like that, totally motionless, before he finally whispered to himself: “No one…

< Message edited by Mordred -- 5/17/2012 9:20:02 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 27
6/23/2012 21:30:39   
Mordred

Taran awoke with a start in a cold sweat as he heard the low hiss of his doorway opening. Turning sharply, he saw Salvar stride into the room. “Sveglia, dormiglione,” the aged man said suavely.

“E-excuse me?” the boy questioned, rubbing his eyes in a vain attempt to ease the throbbing pain in his head.

“Wake up, sleepyhead,” the man chuckled. “We have a long day ahead of us.”

“What will we be doing?”

“The same as we did yesterday.”

At this, Taran groaned. “Ugh, but those people refuse to listen.”

“Nevertheless, we must try. Now come, eat your breakfast.”

“Yes, mother…”

“Malandrina (Smartass)…”

Taran rose from his comfortable bed and followed Salvar into the other room, where Luxord and Arianna were already eating what seemed to be breakfast.

“Good morning!” Arianna said cheerfully as she downed a strange blue liquid in a glass. Her companion merely nodded to the boy in acknowledgment before returning to his meal.

“Morning…” Taran said weakly as he took a seat. “So, after breakfast, is there anywhere I can go to wash up and get changed?

“There’s a set of clothes and a shower in your quarters,” the orc replied as he set down an empty glass. When you’re ready, we return to work.

The rest of their meal was eaten in silence, and Taran quickly took a shower and got changed in his own room once he had had his fill of food. This food isn’t so bad, he had thought to himself as he chewed on the yolk of the egg of an unknown creature. As soon as he was ready, the four made their way back to pods to reenter the mainframe, and try to prevent the subversion of the Malagath people.

Unfortunately, their excursion transpired much the same as their previous had, with very little progress actually made. Even cheerful Arianna was left moping by the end of the exhausting day; one could only take so much hissing and insulting language. They continued their efforts daily, knowing that the ever-looming Festival could signal the start of a civil war. Always, the day was just as fruitless and uneventful as the previous, until Taran’s ninth day on the stage…

“Please, if you’d just listen!” the teen cried out with exasperation over the sea of scaly heads below. On the other end of the platform, Luxord was having just as much difficulties. “I know that you may be angry, but you can’t lose your cool like this! You need to at least be willing to listen!”

“Oh, I’ve lissssstened, all right…” a large, muscled Malagath hissed. “And I think we’ve all heard enough of your prattling, hatchling…” Fast as a whip, the snake-like creature darted at Taran, wrapping his powerful tail around the teen’s body with a vice-like grip. Gasping for air and barely able to breathe, the boy collapsed back, with the muscled torso of his assailant looming overhead. “It’ssss time that I eliminate the pessssst…” he hissed with venom in his rasping voice as his tail contracted around his victim’s body.

As his vision began to darken, Taran could hear the ribs in his chest cracking with intense pain as his attacker squeezed ever tighter around his body. Then, just before he would blackout, the tail went limp and began to flail around, releasing its hold on him and allowing precious air to fill his lungs once more. The boy looked up to see Luxord grasping the writhing Malagath by the neck, choking the life out of him just as he had done to Taran. The look upon the orc’s face was truly frightening; rather than one of anger and frustration, he was entirely passive and serene, which showed his possible brutality far more than any gnashed teeth and burning eyes ever could.

Now free, the boy began to cough and wheeze, attracting a quick glance from the samurai. Seeing that Taran was alright, he threw his prey back into the crowd with disgust in his face. The frightened mass of Malagath parted from their companion with aghast expressions, allowing him to hit the ground with a solid thud.

“This is how you would silence those who disagree with you?” Luxord cried out with a tone of disappointment. “With violence rather than words? You should be ashamed of yourself for stooping so low.” Turning, the armor-clad man gripped Taran’s arm and heaved him up with ease, saying “Are you okay? No blood or broken bones?”

“I’m… I’m not sure…” the teen replied weakly between coughs. “I don’t think I’m bleeding. Not sure about bones. My chest… It hurts…”

“Get us out of here,’ the orc said to no one. Seconds later, they were lifted out of the dream, and returned to their bodies. Taran was out first, a throbbing pain still in his chest. Upon attempting to climb out from his pod, he collapsed to the floor, just as Luxord opened his pod. As soon as he was on his feet, he gripped Taran’s limp body gingerly, and carried him back to their living quarters.

The next thing Taran knew, he was lying in bed, with Arianna and Salvar by his side.

“W-what happened?” he said weakly as he tried to sit up. A stab of pain pierced his chest, sending him back down upon his pillow.

“You tell us,” Salvar replied. “Luxord has refused to speak.”

It was at that moment that Luxord burst in, a steaming cup of tea in his coarse hands. “Drink this,” he said as he held it to Taran’s lips. “It’s an herbal medicine, to ease the aches of the body and the mind.”

It had a pleasing, soothing aroma, and the teen couldn’t help but take the cup in his hands and sip the liquid. “Thank you,” he said with a bit more strength. The orc nodded curtly in response as he turned to go.

“Hold on there, Luxord,” Salvar said. “Tell us what happened. Sputa fuori (Spit it out).”

“If you wish to listen…” the samurai replied as he turned to face Arianna and the black-clad man. “But you won’t like what you hear. Taran was attacked by one of the rioters.”

Immediately, Arianna clenched her teeth as she held back a string of curses. Salvar turned to Taran, saying: “You must take your sciabola (sabre) with you into the dream pods from now on. It will serve as a warning.”

Taran nodded his head and continued to sip his tea. “Ugh… If that wasn’t my actual body in there, why do I hurt all over?”

“It’s a trick of the nerves,” Arianna explained. “Your mind still thinks you were hurt, while your body is perfectly fine. It’ll pass over time.”

Again, the boy nodded. “This has been so… exhausting… The Festival’s in a few days, and if anything, they’re getting more violent, not less…” It was then that an idea dawned on him. Maybe it was the tea, maybe it was an insight, but it was something new, if not completely honest. “Wait, that’s all a big dream, right?”

“Yes, you seem to have trouble grasping that,” Salvar said, a quizzical expression on his ragged face.

“So, that means we can create things that don’t actually exist, right?”

“… In theory, that is possible…” Luxord mused. “But what are you getting at?”

“Well, if people think Ilgathar’s using them, and the Festival has strong ties with his ‘gift’, why not have ‘Ilgathar’ come and explain things to them?”

“Are you suggesting that we deceive others?” Luxord saic incredulously, a hint of rage in his voice.

“Easy, Luxord. If it pacifies the people without shedding blood… “ Salvar began, before trailing off. He then motioned to the boy, waving his hand in the air as a sign to continue.

“I was thinking… An image of Ilgathar would come down during the Festival, and explain that it was a gift, to spread peace to his worshippers, and nothing more. No scheming, no power plant of dreams for him.”

“Hmmmm…” the black-clad man mused, tracing his beard with his fingers. “It just may work. For a while, anyways.”

“We’ll need to talk with Nhar’jusk, first, though,” Arianna said with vigor in her voice.

“Aw, you can’t like this either, can you?” the orc questioned, almost pleadingly. A tremulous glint in Arianna’s eyes was the only answer he got. “Fine. I won’t stop you, but I do not consent to this deception in any shape or form.” With that, the samurai took his leave in a huff, a gust of wind following in his wake, apparently a sign of his displeasure.

“Don’t mind him,” the elf said to Taran in a shaken voice. “He’ll come around eventually.”

“Why doesn’t he like the plan?” the teen questioned.

“It’s an honor thing,” Salvar explained as he rose from the bed. “Samurai hold their honor in very high regard, and orcs are famously stubborn. They usually call it resilience. ‘Course, they’re also usually right to call it that. For ‘savage mongrels’, as many think of them, they’ve better morals than most humans, and some of the more high-minded elves.”

“Oh, that was a cheap shot!” Arianna quipped in mock anger.

“He badmouthed his own species, too,” Taran pointed out jokingly.

A dark cloud passed over the man’s face as h turned away from his friends, unwilling to let them see him brooding so. In but a whisper, he said: “If you can even call me human now…” He quickly regained his amiable attitude, and turned back to his companions, who had noticed nothing. “So; the President of Nhar’jusk Corporations; we’ll go see him in the morning. Sound like a plan?”

The following morning, the three of them were standing outside a great door of metal, covered with heavy metal bars that locked it shut. Painted on the door was the great visage of a snake, mouth gaping wide and fangs bared.

“Soooo… This is where the President is?” Taran questioned. “Is he the second, or the third?”

This was answered with a quizzical glance from the elf, who replied: “President Nhar’jusk has always been the President of the company.”

Before Taran could respond, the bars of the door retracted with a low hiss and the great metal parted. A heavy mist began to crawl out from the dark chambers beyond; a lingering, foul odor of a mist. From inside the darkness, little mechanical sounds could be heard, from little beeps and whirs to the sound of heavy clangs of metal and the loud hiss of some escaping gas.

Salvar took the first steps, disappearing into the alien mist. Arianna was on his heels, with an anxious Taran in tow. As they passed within, the doors sealed behind them, and an audible click could be heard, as if it had locked. Within the chamber itself were these strange instruments, covered in blinking lights and buttons. One wall was curved out within the chamber, and what appeared to be an aquarium filled with a strange orange fluid took up most of said wall’s surface. Lying at the bottom of the rounded wall, where it met the ground towards its center was what appeared to be a large grate, with vertical bars framing a greenish glow. Taran was too afraid to look within the aquarium, fearful of what strange creatures he would see within. On the other walls, which had screens displaying various areas within the dream matrix, were strange, metallic cylinders that pumped up and down, letting out a burst of the strange green mist each time.

“So, where is the President?” the boy questioned in a whisper. He was on edge, his body tensed and prepared for something to jump out of the mist and attack. This foreign place called out against every fiber of his being.

“I am here, hatchling,” a strange, mechanical voice replied from behind. As it did, a soft green glow illuminated the room with each word, as if the voice was hooked up to some source of light. Turning around, the teen saw that the grate of the aquarium had glowed with the voice, as if something within had answered him. Taking a real look within the orange murk, the boy saw a brain floating within the large container, hooked up to several wires and electrodes that held it in place.

“W-what is that?” the child cried out as he fell back, pointing at the floating brain.

“Calm yourself,” the being within said soothingly, the grate lighting up the chamber with each syllable. “Is he always like this, Salvar?”

“Not always,” the Italian replied. “He’s new at this.”

“I deemed as such,” the President said with satisfaction. “Why do you stand before me?”

“President Nhar’jusk,” Arianna began cordially. “We come before you with a plan that may just keep your clients in check.”

Nhar’jusk was silent for a moment before responding. “If this is another of your ‘jokes’, Arianna, -”

“No, no, it’s nothing like that!” Salvar exclaimed quickly and dismissively. “We really do have a plan.”

“Then elaborate.”

“The Festival is in just a few days, right?”

“5 days, 35 rahvorak, and 67 klicks to be precise,” the President said with smugness in his artificial voice.

“Yes, well… Taran, the boy here, has a plan…” Salvar began. He then went into the plan’s details, seemingly creating nuances that the original outline of the plan had not called for. Details such as when “Ilgathar” would appear, exactly what he would do and say, how the priests would react, and what would happen after the Festival. When the black-clad man was finished, the bodiless President seemed cowed into silence for the longest of times.

“It would seem…” he finally began, his mechanical speech stiff and halting, “that this plan… could very well work. We’ll set to work on creating the false images necessary.” A metal appendage lowered down from the ceiling, a large bluish orb attached to its end. The orb made its way to Taran’s face, as if sizing him up. “So… this is the ‘Taran’ that originally devised this plan?”

The teen remained silent and stiff, unsure of what to do. Salvar motioned for him to speak, waving his hand in the air as the orb clicked and whirred with mechanical movements. “Y-yes, sir,” Taran finally managed to stammer.

“Good work, hatchling…” the metal appendage retracted back into the ceiling above, and the doors opened back out to the labyrinthine corridors. “Leave me, all of you. You are distractions from my work.”

With that, they emerged into the clear air, leaving the disembodied Malagath to his plans and works. After walking for some time in silence, Taran finally spoke up. “How can he still be alive?”

“Suspended animation,” Arianna answered. “His body died, but his mind lives, with the help of certain chemicals and technology. He can live… indefinitely. He’s almost nine-hundred years old.”

“That’s… pretty old,” the boy breathed. “So, now what?”

“We prepare for the Festival,” Salvar said nonchalantly. “Tell the priests what will happen, and how they will help keep the people calm when Ilgathar turns up. Then, we leave, once the population is no longer likely to turn to Tumultu.”

“It sounds too… simple…” Taran mused. “I didn’t think it could be so easy…”

“Never say things like that,” Arianna said tersely. “You’ll just jinx it.”

“Are you sure you won’t come with us?” Taran asked pleadingly of Luxord.

“No,” the gruff samurai said, for the third time in as many hours. “I don’t want to be part of any deceitful schemes.”

“But you’ll miss the Festival!”

“So be it. I’ll be able to know who they use to recreate the matrix before any of you, then.” Saying this, the orc turned his attention back to his steaming tea, and would not respond further to any of his companions.

“We’ll just go without him,” Salvar said dismissively. “Sempre un mulo testardo, che l'uomo(Always a stubborn mule, that man).”

With that, they were off to the dream pods. “Remember Taran, you can’t attract attention to yourself. Just keep your head low, and you’ll do fine,” Arianna assured him as they entered their respective pods. From the corner of his eye, just as the pod sealed, Taran thought he could see Luxord standing in the corner, a disappointed look on his face.

When he awoke, Taran found himself seated within a great arena or coliseum of some sort. All around in the other seats were the reptilian Malagath. Some were cheering and raving and reveling in the grand moment, while just as many sat there languidly, disgusted expressions on their scaly faces. There were easily thousands of the people crammed into this area. The coliseum itself was decorated lavishly, with confetti materializing as it fell from the sky, flags and banners depicting some bird-like creature hanging from every wall and archway, and glittering jewels embedded in the stone, shining in the grand fires at the center of the arena. And there were thousands more arenas just like that one scattered within the matrix, all preparing to celebrate in Ilgathar’s glory… Or at least, about half the people within them…

“Children of Ilgathar!” a priest at the center of the arena called out, his voice amplified as he raised his hands before one of the fires. “Today, we cccccelebrate in gratitude for the giftssssss our mighty god hassssss given ussss! Thissss technology that bringssss peacccce and prosssperity to our world! Join me in welcoming the Bolini ssssisssstersss, who will perform the traditional Dancccce of the Mighty Sssskybird!”

The night was filled with singing and dancing and stories, and even a lengthy recreation of how Ilgathar supposedly gave Nhar’jusk the necessary technology and knowledge to create the dream matrix. But, it eventually had to come to an end.

“Now, before we leave to welcome a new dream matrixxxx…” the priest began as he motioned towards a servant bearing a large book. Before the servant could bring the book to the priest’s outstretched hands, though, a loud screech of some kind reverberated through the air. Confusion spread within the seats as strange bluish birds began to fill the air. The creatures circled overhead, coming together into a single mass. There was a blinding emerald light within the mass of birds, and everyone turned their heads or covered their eyes in pain. When they looked again, a single, massive creature floated overhead.

Hovering in place was a strange, bird-like creature of a colossal size. It could have easily used the arena as a nest of sorts. The creature had four long legs of an orangey, leathery skin, each tipped with five talons; four in front, one in the back. Hanging below the feet was a tail of deep, royal blue feathers that stood straight out from the body, like the tail feathers of a pheasant. It alone could have easily accounted for half the creature’s length. The feathers of its underbelly were a strange, iridescent viridian, speckled with blue dots. However, rather than giving way to the average tapering body of a bird, the creature seemed to have the torso of a man above its legs, just as thickly feathered as the rest of the body. Crossed over its torso were two arms, each bearing a small staff of some indiscernible meaning. Two other arms emerged from heavily feathered shoulders, waving in the air idly, as if they sustained its levitation through invisible means. Also emerging from the shoulders were four sets of great wings, outstretched to their fullest. The feathers of the wings seemed to shine like fire; a blaze upon each and every one. Atop the humanoid torso was a falcon-like head, only running along its sides was a cobra-like hood, and a mighty crest of feathers sat upon its brow like a crown. The creature opened its hook-like green beak, uttering the same shriek the audience had heard before.

All at once the Malagath spectators rose up, each in their own clamor. Cries of “Ilgathar!” were heard from all over, and those who had once seemed to resent the ceremonies now seemed infinitely shocked and awed by what stood before them. “It issss the great god Ilgathar himsssself!” the priest below called out from below. “Bow before him!”

As one, everyone in the arena prostrated their selves before the god of Sleep and Dreams, Taran included. The god turned its great head to survey the area, before its voice was heard in the minds of all below. My people… My children… Today is a glorious day for you. You, who have come together to celebrate the day of first triumph, when I gave you the means to create a perfect world. At this, almost half the people within cast their gaze upwards, anger burning in their eyes and words ready to burst from their mouths. However, many of you here would have raised hands against your brothers and sisters, shedding Malagath blood when it ought not be shed ever again. Those who had once gazed up in hate now bore a look of shame in their eyes. Oh, yes, I knew of your dark intentions, the creature above said with a hint of disappointment in its alien voice.

You, who are my children, would cast down my gift, decrying it as an evil and hateful thing. This technology that has created the perfect world you could never have. Who could have sown such seeds in my kind people? Who would make you think that I, Ilgathar, would wish harm upon my subjects? There is no malice in my will. I wished only for your happiness. Yours. And now, it has gotten to the point where so many, so frighteningly many, would twist that happiness into unrest. That I abuse this gift for my own means. It disappoints me. Who of you now could willingly raise a hand against your fellow Malagath? Who would deal so dishonorable a blow?

This is what I say to you now. Be calm. Know that I watch you with love in my heart, and joy that you can revel in harmony with this world created for you. When I leave you this night, the dreamer will be replaced; the world made anew for you. Make this a night where likewise, a new prosperity is made. There is no cause for unhappiness and dissatisfaction. Only bliss and peace. I leave you now, hoping that rather than a day of violence and hate, you make this a reaffirment of the peace and love you have enjoyed for these long years… Know that in the next version of this world, it will be my doing, and show you my true feelings for you…
Even as it spoke, the image of Ilgathar faded before their eyes, until it vanished into nothingness. In its wake, the arena, and seemingly the entire world, was silent. Finally, the priest below rose from his prone form on the ground, and began to clap. Slowly, others joined him, until the entire arena clapped with him, exultations of the mighty god filling the air. Barely audible over the clapping, Nhar’jusk’s mechanical voice said “All dream pods deactivating now. Please excuse the slight inconvenience as we replace the dream. Thank you for your cooperation.” And then, the world was silent and empty, for it no longer was…

Luxord was there when he saw who the hulking robots of Nhar’jusk’s making were dragging along to be made into the new mindless host of the perfect world. They always struggled against the metal arms that bore their unwilling bodies to the chair where they would spend the rest of their long lives.

Dragged against his will was poor Nhar’whal, his single horn trying to pierce the metal carapaces of the droids that gripped his arms tightly to no avail. As they passed Luxord, the Malagath wildly called out to the orc in whimpers of fear. The samurai gripped the handle of his weapon tightly as he stared into those yellow, pleading eyes. It did not stop the shaking of his hand, though, nor could it hold back the well of tears in his sad, proud eyes. The prisoner passed the kind, green-skinned man, who could do nothing.

As the ingoing dreamer was dragged around the corner, two Malagath bore a stretcher carrying a humanoid form covered under a white fabric. As it passed by, the orc removed his helmet, showing a shaved head, and held it to his chest in respect of the passerby.

A short time after the deceased had passed by, the doors all around began to open as bleary-eyes Malagath emerged, in reality for the first time in years. As the shuffled by in a daze, snippets of conversations, most along the same lines, could be heard.

“Can you believe I had wanted to help in the planned attack after the Fessssstival?”

“It ssssseemssss like ssssuch a ridiculoussss idea at thisssss point. We were ssssso wrong about him.”

“I heard that he had been in all the arenasssss at onccccce!”

“Truly the work of a god.”

“I can sssssee a bright future ahead of ussssss.”

It wasn’t long before Nhar’jusk’s voice was heard again. “Please return to your dream pods; you will be put back in automatically when we’re ready.”

Nhar’whal had been tied down to a chair by his arms and tail upon being dragged into the hemispherical chamber. Hanging above the chair was an ominous helmet hooked up to wires. It would descend upon his restrained form, molding his malleable mind to create an idyllic dream world for the Malagath. The room was wholly without surveillance of any kind. The Malagath strained in vain all the while, even as the helmet descended upon him. In fear, he shut his yellow eyes with their round pupils, waiting for it to begin. Just as the lights began to glow upon the instrument, he opened his eyes once more. But now they were red, and had vertical-slits for pupils. Even as the creature began to drift into sleep, true sleep, its form began to shift into that of an entirely different life-form…
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 28
10/23/2012 22:25:19   
Mordred

Out of the strange waters, at a distance from the first island, rose an ancient, low-lying wall of stone that enclosed a pit that was more of a simple hole in the ground than an actual pit. Surrounding the wall were a few trees, growing so close to each other as to almost choke one another, that slowly faded as the eye wandered farther from the pit, as if it was a small patch of an old forest. Standing atop the wall was a man clad in dark purple hooded robes, embroidered with navy blue trimmings and markings.

”Hmmmm, which one to pick…” a man’s voice was heard, all around and yet coming from nowhere at the same time. It was a cruel and hard voice, with gravely undertones of old age and sadistic, murderous intent. “Ah, I choose thee, blond child.”

Suddenly, Taran’s vision changed. Around him were the stones of the old walls, trapping him. He found that he could not turn his head or shift his eyes, as if he were looking through a camera, or the eyes of another. Lying on the ground before him was a terror-stricken child, appearing to be no older than eight or nine, with a soft brown shock of hair, skin the color of honey, and ears that tapered to a point. The expression in the girl’s emerald eyes was that of raw fear, unadulterated and enhanced by her innocence of youth.

As the teen gazed through foreign eyes with pity, the view was lowered to the hands of a comparatively pale-skinned child, carrying a rusted knife with a serrated edge clumsily between its fingers. Then, the child looked up to the robed man leering from above. His face was carved with lines of age, and his jaw hidden by a bushy grey beard that fell to the man’s waist. In his black eyes was a glint that was a mix of glee and hatred, with his face contorted in an expression of mirth and contempt all at once. “Yes, elf-boy,” the man seethed between his startlingly white teeth. “Obey my commands.”

The boy’s vision then turned once more upon that of the girl, and began to draw closer. As light footsteps could be heard in Taran’s ears, a voice within his head began to cry out fearfully; the thoughts of the boy bearing the knife, as if they were the human’s own thoughts.

Please, no! Don’t make me do this!

”Thou shalt obey! Thy body is mine to control, and thy mind a helpless onlooker!” As the man vocally replied to the boy’s thoughts, he raised the blade within his victim’s hand, drawing nearer to the terrified girl. ”Thou shouldst run from thy friend, girl…”

At this, the girl bolted up and ran as fast as her short legs could bear her, the boy’s possessed body taking chase amid the child’s inner protests and the man’s harsh cackle. Soon, though, the girl tripped over a fallen stone, and raised her arms in vain as the boy descended upon her… Just as the blade bit inter her flesh, Taran’s vision snapped back into that of his own, and he was within his own body once more, on all fours and gasping for air. Around him, several others were in similar states of shock and revulsion, only intensified by the fact that they could still hear the event occurring within the pit… The wails went on for several minutes, shocking all to their cores. When they had finally died down, the man began to speak once more.

”And now to deal with thee…” the old wizard said threateningly as he passed down a bucket of water into the pit. ”Clean thyself off with tha’.” The boy, now fully in control of his own body, began to sob within the pit, horrified by what he was forced to do. Before the robed torturer could make good on his words though, another man’s voice was heard.

“Mordred! Elemina!” a worried voice called out, as if searching for the children.

”Damned elf… Looks like thou live today, boy. Hand over the bucket; thou art clean enough.” Taking back the bucket, the man turned tails and fled, literally fading out of view. Moments later, another man appeared, the same man who was yet bearing a swaddled babe in his arms by the grave marker. From afar, Taran could not see the expression of horror upon the man’s face, but his body language told all. Unlike the island, the forest scene faded into nothingness before their eyes.

“’Ey, mon, issit yer first time?” an eerily cheery voice with a Jamaican accent asked Taran from his left. The young adult craned his neck to see a large crab swaying upon its legs, its claws raised up in the air. “Ohhhh, I know tha’ look, mon. Jus’ sit back an’ enjoyyyy de show!”

”I said no more of such talk,” the worried man’s voice from before said harshly from all around. ”Thou didst not kill your cousin. Thou art not responsible, my son. He skinned her alive…”

”B-but father-“ the boy began, only to be cut off.

”No more, child. My word is final. One as young as thee art incapable of such an act. Now, off to bed.” This was followed by the sound of light footsteps ascending a flight of wooden stairs, and a sigh from the father mired in denial.

”Brother, doth thou not think thou art hard on the boy?” another man’s voice said quietly. ”What if he speaks well and true?”

”No, brother, it is a lie! This twisted murderer hath wracked my son with guilt, making him believe he is responsible for thy daughter’s untimely demise. He’s responsible for one death already, and I w-“

”Thou doth go too far, brother! I’m the one who has lost a child this day! For you to continue to think that he was responsible for the death of his mother is wholly unjust! He was born, and she died bringing him into this world! He is not to blame! Yet thou doth continue to loathe him for it! Hatred won’t bring her back, Mortimer! Thou shouldst be relieved that Mordred lives. Instead, thou doth curse and spurn him!”

”It would hath been far better if Elemina didst live, and Mordred perished…”

”Mother would be ashamed of thee…” the man’s brother seethed. ”Thou doth insult me when thou lament thy imaginary woes, instead of consoling thy grief-stricken brother! My wife shalt surely die of a broken heart, and all thou canst do is wail at how it was thy own child who lives! A parent should never have to bury their own child, much less in such a disfigured state. I could never wish the same misfortune upon anyone, not even the most brutal of the human kings. Thou art a cruel, twisted man indeed, Mortimer, if thou wouldst think in such a manner.”

“Go. Console thy wife, brother. We have nothing left to say.”
With that, the sound of heavy, angry footsteps could be heard, followed by the slam of a solid door. Then, all was still.

“What-what just happened?” Taran asked with a bemused expression on his face.

“Yer lookin’ inte de past!” the crab replied gaily, snapping his mismatched claws as he did. “Now fer de timeskip…”

Spires continued to rise out of the surface of the water, until a castle bearing black standards emblazoned with a golden dragon head with a crown stood out for all to see, with a massive army of armored men facing away from it by the gates, as if ready to charge. A solid line of cavalry stood at the head of the army, roughly two hundred mounts wide and three mounts thick. A small army, but at that point of history, armies were on the smaller size, given the size of the warring states they fought for.

As the observers absorbed the sight before them, an opposing army began to materialize, slowly shifting from ephemeral to solid forms. The opposing army easily outnumbered the defenders three to one, and had superior equipment and arms on hand. At the head of the attackers was a mounted man with a crown of bones grafted into the crest of his helmet, signaling him as the ruler.

”Is this all the great Slugwrath can muster?” the king taunted, evoking chuckles and guffaws from his soldiers. ”Pitiful!”

In response, one of the defenders broke rank. His livery was slightly better than that of his kin, and shield bore the castle’s crest while that of his army did not. ”Oh, Thardagul, thou fool,” the man called out with a smug tone and a smirk on his grimy face. “Didst thou really think I hadst abandoned mine kingdom, sealed away within my fortified walls while thou pillaged my people, with nothing prepared to strike thee down in all thy arrogance?”

This said, the leader of the defenders hung his shield upon his horse’s side and his axe at his hip and drew forth the bow upon his back. Raising it up into the sky, he knocked an arrow with a green head, pointed almost directly up. With a thwang, he released the projectile into the air, and in a flash of green light, its magics came forth, leaving a trail of light as it soared upwards and arced town into the ground before Thardagul’s steed.

As the opposing king looked on with a bemused expression, several terrible roars echoed in the heavy air from behind the Slugwrath palace. Like a rising stormcloud, great winged lizards burst out of hiding, each one with a regal warrior sitting upon their backs. Numbering about a thousand, the dragon riders descended upon their terrified foes with clashing metal and fire delivered upon wings of death. At their head was a great white dragon with horns and claws of gold and angelic wings, with a rider garbed in armor of platinum and trimmings of gold fashioned into wings.

Even as he led his brethren into one-sided combat, more ephemeral forms began to materialize on top of this scene, ignoring the presence of the ongoing battle as they conducted their own. New battles and wars were growing and overlapping upon the first, each independent and happening through another. The number of imaginary combatants swelled, overcoming the observing Malagath dreamers and passing through their frightened forms as they did that of fighters of other battles. Always though, the man in platinum armor was at the center of each conflict, cutting down his foes mercilessly at different times and places.

Taran looked around in the chaos, watching several battles unfold on top of one another around him. A swordsman rushed through his body without heed, only to be crushed underneath the foot of a savage tree-like creature. A massive humanoid, standing a full six feet higher than the average man, brought her fist upon the nose of a lanky dragon with such force as to rend its tapered head apart. As the teen lost sight of the Malagath in the mayhem, he noticed that the crab beside him was not only at his side, but seemingly everywhere at once, in several different forms. One was larger than even a dragon, another was flashing in different colors like the lights of a danceclub. Another still was seemingly cooked and served on a platter, yet still danced amid the confusion, as if the sounds of several wars before him were but music for his entertainment.

“W-what is this?” Taran bemoaned as he drew his head down in anguish, about to clasp it in his hands. However, gazing upon his hands, he saw that they were not his own, but those of twisted gauntlets of ebony, fashioned into intimidating, spiked forms. Dripping from the metal was blood, pouring like crimson waterfalls from between his seemingly armored fingers.

A hand grasped Taran’s shoulder, striking him with fear, for the visions before him harmlessly passed through what was not part of their own happenings. The teen whirled around to see Salvar, his face contorted into pain.

“Where are we?” the boy demanded angrily, trying to shake the image of his deformed hands from his memory.

“I don’t know how,” the black-clad man seethed, “but we’re in his subconscious.”

“Whose?”

“That of Mordred himself,” the Italian admitted dryly, hate dripping from his tongue. “This is utter insanity. Our own consciousnesses are beginning to blend with his; the safety measures of the system have failed.”

“How could this have happened?”

“I already told you I don’t know,” the old man snapped angrily. “That isn’t what matters; if this doesn’t end soon, we may be unable to leave, like Moebius.”

“Who?” Taran questioned, unfamiliar with the name. In answer, Salvar merely began to guide Taran through the ongoing melee around them, until they arrived before the form of a man in a coat identical to Salvar’s, huddled into fetal position.

“This is Moebius…” Salvar said, a pang of regret in his voice.

“Who is he?” Taran began. ”What is he? Is he another part of his subconscious?”

“Yes and no,” the man replied cryptically. “You can touch him because he’s not from here, like we aren’t, but he’s trapped here. Lost in Tumultu’s inner mind.”

“How?”

“He found out that we had been lied to… That our souls would not be restored, and we’d remain Forsaken… He tried to stop Tumultu’s vision of a utopian tyranny, intending to change his beliefs. He entered his mind, trying to change Tumultu’s past memories. He underestimated Tumultu’s will, and was ultimately consumed by this bedlam.”

Moebius himself was whispering all the while under his breath while Salvar spoke, until he suddenly burst up, grasping Taran by the shoulders and shaking him violently. “The other!” he rasped, his voice a haunting, imploring shadow of a man’s voice, emanating from the shadows under his heavy hood. “Find the other half!”

“What?” Taran cried out half in fear and half from curiosity, struggling to break free.

“The other half! Restore the whole!” Then, the life faded from the man’s broken form as he released Taran, returning to his fetal position and fearful mutterings of black doom.

“This is what this constant maelstrom of the inner workings of a twisted monster has done to him,” Salvar said with remorse. “It’s a shame. Moebius was such a brilliant man even in the shadow of life we all shared…”

At this point, the darkened waters they hovered over were writhing, choppy waves nearly licking their soles. As the sea of Mordred’s subconscious built up its fury, the ephemeral memories began to ascend into the now howling winds above, eventually rising above the storm clouds that now swirled ominously. Now, Taran could again see the Malagath, most of who had collapsed to the unseen ground from the fright of what had assailed them. Theirs was a pampered lifestyle, and to be confronted with such madness, such bloody conflict… Their senses had broken down under the assault, leaving their minds reeling from hitherto unknown concepts.

However, now standing at the center, by the grave with the blurred name, was the Eludinari himself, gazing all around him, resting his gaze upon the forms of the dancing crabs all around him. “I hadst made it expressly clear, Old One, that my mind is mine own domain,” he said coldly, his red eyes glowing ominously.

At this, the thousands of crabs all converged on one point in front of the malevolent Tumultu, forming a massive, nightmarish creature, composed into shapes that defied the senses out of various crab parts; claws that were both rounded and flat at once, eyes that blinked stupidly yet seemed triangular, legs that twitched in odd patters. A monstrosity of non-Euclidian geometry, deformed in nature and intent.

“I AM CRABASTIAN,” the creature boomed, the source of its voice unclear. “ALL SENTIENT LIFE HARBORS MY DOMAIN, FER MY DOMAIN IS O’ DE DARK RECESSES O’ DE MIND. EVEN YO’ KIND KEN DO NO-THING TO KEEP ME OUT, MON.”

“So thou mayst think, eldritch creature,” Mordred replied. “But it mayst shock thee to find my mind of hardier mettle than thou first suspected.” He snapped his metal-clad fingers, the sound echoing loudly over the shrieking gales of the worsening storm. Immediately, the creature fell into the murky waters, as if the ground had collapsed from underneath its burden, and it began to flail its misshapen appendages uselessly.

“’EY, MON, WHADDYA THINK YER DOIN’?!” the creature’s voice boomed, a panicked tone in its cadence.

“If thou doth revel within my subconscious, unseen and unnoticed by me, then why should it bother thee to forever join it?” the Eludinari said casually. His voice took on a cruel tone as he continued with “Oh, it mayst strip thee of thy transcendent nature, trapping thee to my mind, and mine alone, but would it not be worth the show? Wouldst thou not wish to give up all thy material ties to revel in my torments?”

The creature did not reply as a whirlpool formed, beginning to suck its bloated, slim form into the depths. Instead, it became a spectre, fading into nothingness as it abandoned the display it so enjoyed. Becoming trapped in one subconscious would rob Crabastian of his ability to view the minds of other beings, and would leave him at the mercy of the twisted Eludinari.

The whirlpool continued to churn, though, until its bottom reached the bed of the waters, revealing a broken man hunched over and wrapped in chains. His tousled hair was a faded silver, and pooled all around him in its great length, obscuring much of his tattered golden cape. His armor was of platinum, covered in scratches and pockmarks and dents, and the golden trim and wings had lost their lustre. The chains that bound him were a great and heavy weight, binding the man in place, and leaving no room for adjustment.

Gazing down upon the man, Tumultu leapt down to confront him, paying no heed to the raging waters. Taran, Salvar, and Arianna rushed over to see what was about to transpire, making sure to stay aay from the edges, lest they fall in as Crabastian had. Below, the two men were speaking, the bound man raising his head as much as he could, despite the evident strain it put upon his weakened form.

“Who art thou, chained up like so within my mind?” the Emperor demanded, already knowing who stood before him.

In response, the broken man merely laughed, starting from a low chuckle and building up to a mad cackle that could be heard over the rushing water that surrounded him. It was a chilling laugh, the kind that soaks through the flesh of men and cuts deeply into the soul. “Thou doth know who I am already; I see the terror within what remains of thy soul, and the disgust upon thy countenance. There is no mistaking me for another, for we art one and the same, thou and me.” He shifted in his chains, rising a surprising degree for the weight of his burden, for he rose far higher than his bonds should have allowed. “As for thy mind… Whatever gave thee such a notion?”

“Thou speak in twisted words and half-truths. Out with it, dog, speak of thy state. This is mine own domain, within the recesses of my mind. This can be no other.”

Again, Tumultu’s words only elicited a laugh from the vision before him. “Thou speak as if thou art an ignorant child on this matter. Thou doth know all too well that thou art a being lost between the dichotomy of the universe; not full in spirit, yet not Forsaken, either. A cruel twist of Fate, to have thy soul split in half…”

“There is no fate; fate is an illusion of the weak, and a tool of oppression, meant to keep the powerless where they ‘belong’ and the powerful upon their lofty thrones, perpetuating a system of injustice with Chaos upon their backs. Nothing is prescribed by fate; it is Chaos alone who drives the workings of our lives, and his hand mayst be stayed by my machinations.”

“Thou doth speak like an intimate friend scorned; how canst thou know the workings of an imperceptible force, that only one other hath before claimed to know of? The chains that bind me here art crafted of our own doing, yet my prison hath not been fashioned out of thy mind. I am thee, yet not thee, all at once. My prison is purely physical, and even now wanes in its strength. See, now, how I extend my reach beyond what it once was! How the chains that bind me grow weaker as their links fade! Lo, the time is near when what was once lost shalt be found anew; look into thy heart, and know it to be true! I have visited thee more than once in the past few years, weighing upon thy heart and soul like a forgotten weight remembered anew in bits and pieces! What was whole was sundered, and shalt be forged anew!”

“Lies!” Tumultu barked back, looming over his former self. “Thou art lost to me; it has been so since time immemorial. My heart is mine own, as whole as it shalt ever be. Thou wert lost, yea, and shalt remain so. That which hath split me cannot be overcome, for the barriers of time and nature art far too great for any force to surpass.”

The bound Mordred grinned savagely, the mark of madness weighing heavily upon his brow as his teeth glinted from under icy-blue eyes that shone brightly in stark contrast with the murky waters. As much as I love this conversation,” he mused, “our time is fleeting; the connection weak. Goodbye, ‘Emperor’…”

The whirlpool suddenly collapsed upon itself, crashing around the two violently, the currents dragging Tumultu back up to the surface. He did not fight back against the waves of his subconscious, instead letting his thoughts linger upon the half-remembered tomb-stone with the unknown name. It was that of his mother. Mother. Such a strange concept. Only a father had been known to him in life, and what a cruel life he had. No one had any recollections of her. What she was like, what she wore, what she believed in, what she smelled of. None of the things a child learns of their mother, just as a mother learns of her child. The feel of her arms, her caresses, her aura. Not even a name. Father had always held his memories of her closely, almost making an unseen idol or deity of her. Because father had never loved him. Certainly not as mother would. Mother…

“SYSTEM FAILURE! SYSTEM FAILURE! THE MATRIX HAS BEEN BREACHED! PLEASE EXCUSE NHAR’JUSK FOR THE INCONVENIENCES; WE WILL ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THE TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! PLEASE AMUSE YOURSELVES WITH THE FULL ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM INCLUDED IN YOUR CHAMBERS!”

This is what Tumultu opened his eyes to, an electronic message blaring around him as he groggily felt the bindings around his arms, legs, and head. Hr was dimly aware of the opening wall panels that let in a rush of mechanical drones; hulking, featureless things, crafted out of a pristine chrome-like metal in seemingly one single piece, forming roughly humanoid forms with broad shoulders and a single stilt to balance upon. Their single horizontal slits of an eye were all trained upon him, their arms raised threateningly like built-in cannons. Similarly, heavy multi-barreled cannons hung down from the ceiling, red laser sights trained upon his head.

Without warning, the bindings that held him in place were released as the drones surrounded the chair, numbering at least a hundred. As the Eludinari drew his form up from his position and alighted upon the ground with an uncharacteristic lack of grace, one of the drones addressed him in a mechanical monotone.”The intrudar will come into cust-o-dy.”

Still half-dazed, the Emperor replied “No.”

“The intrudar will come into cust-o-dy, or they will be TAR-MIN-ATE-ED.”

“Thou seem to fail to grasp my meaning,” the pale-faced man replied chillingly, his voice taking on a grim tone. “And really, if thou art going to threaten me, thou shouldst at least be proper about it.”

“Par-don?”

“Thou didst mean to say, ‘The intruder will come into custody, or he or she will be terminated’.”

This was met with silence at first, until the outstretched cannon of the drone’s arm began to hum, the opening of the barrel building up a steady, thrumming glow. “TAR-MI-NATE!”

Tumultu, in a sudden moment of alacrity traditional for him, easily sidestepped the green projectile. It missed its intended mark, instead hitting another drone squarely in the caricature of a torso it possessed. Instantly, the metalwork being was reduced to little more than a cloud of vapor. With short delay, the rest of the drones began firing at the blur that was their target, missing by huge margins. The cannons rained a salvo down from above, but were likewise unable to hit their target, instead striking down drones more oft than naught.

As the slender, armor-clad man weaved between his foes, a single Bereaver flashed from his hand, striking down indiscriminately. He tired of this game, though, thinking it a waste of his weapon to use on such poor opponents. He leapt up into the air, above the his foes, perching atop one of the cannons with his cloak drawn close around him, like a bird of prey, prepared to swoop down upon a moment’s notice. He thrust one of his talon-like hands into the weapon, easily breaking through its flimsy carapace and grasping the mechanics below. With a surge of Energy flowing down his arm, Tumultu sent the cannon into overdrive, its several chambers firing at a breakneck pace. Using the wires he clutched as a makeshift rein, he guided the instrument of destruction, mowing down his foes with a sense of poetic justice. In short time, nothing remained within the chamber, aside from the cannon he himself had used. With little effort, he ripped out most of the device’s inner workings, rendering it harmless.

The pleasantries complete, Mordred dropped to the ground, his descent slowing until he alighted softly upon the ground. Turning to the heavy seal of the chamber’s doors, he saw they were locked, and drew his hand back, charging Cold energies in his grip. With a thrust of his palm, the metal was shorn through by shards of Ice, which shattered harmlessly when the caster drew his open hand into a fist. The Eludinari stepped out from his poor would-be-prison, dark intent in his eyes. As he strode purposefully through the corridors, dark portals opened upon the unadorned walls, unleashing a flood of Imperial Judges who followed upon their master’s light footsteps and billowing cloak. By his sides were Galbradi and Alister, ready to hand down judgement. They made their way towards Nhar’Jusk, striking down any obstacles in their path…

“Quickly!” Salvar said with a frantic tone. “We must head to Nhar’Jusk, before it’s too late!” He set off at an amazing pace, his feet almost flying, with Arianna close behind and Taran leading the tail. Far ahead of any of them was Luxord, who had begun his mad dash before the system failure had been announced.

The trio arrived before the seal to Nhar’Jusk’s command chamber to see Luxord striking down two men in heavy, ornate armor of obsidian color, his savagery hitherto unseen. The three aided him, and with short delay incapacitated one Judge and dealing a mortal wound to the other. It was Arianna who had dealt the lethal blow, surprisingly, with her bare hands no lest. With a savage punch, she had crumpled the woman’s breastplate in, the metal serving as a killer rather than a savior.

However, for all their haste, they were far too late. When the door finally parted, they beheld a swarm of Judges in formation around Tumultu and two other regal looking men, wading in a puddle of the liquid from the disembodied Nhar’Jusk’s tank, signaling his demise.

Tumultu himself had altered his appearance. Gone were the imposing horns that had once adorned his pauldrons and gauntlets and various other pieces of armor. Instead, the pauldrons rose even higher above his brow, framing his pale face against the stark obsidian of the metalwork and ornate inlays of gold and jewels that glittered even in the mechanical lights of his surroundings. Behind his head, attached to the back of his armor, was a grand arch of gold, decorated with several small faces in various expressions of emotions, lending a halo-like quality to his presence. Hanging from his hips over his armor was a robe-like garment, of similar material of that of his cloak. Several independent strips of cloth hung down to his ankles, their tips adorned with gold and jewels. And hanging out midway down from his pauldrons were large sleeves fitted over his protective armor or the same solid grey cloth, from which the same imposing, spiked fists of claw-like fingers emerged. All in all, the changes to his armor lent a more regal quality to the man, at once seeming imposing in a different way, but also more welcoming.

“Hath thou come to save poor Nhar’Jusk?” the Emperor said tauntingly, pointing a finger savagely at the fallen brain of the truly dead president. “I’m afraid thou didst tarry far too long.”

Enraged, Taran strode forth, saber in hand threateningly. Immediately, Galbradi leapt into action, his spear-like weapon coming down in its single form upon the boy’s head. “Taran!” Luxord cried out, bringing the flat of his blade up to parry the Magister’s blow. He could not have saved the human in time, though, if the elf had not faltered at the sound of the name. At once, he mis-stepped in mid-stride, unwilling to deal the fatal blow.

When Luxord now opposed the demonic guise of the Judge’s helmet, he again took full control of himself, engaging the samurai in combat for a short while. He would have shortly outmatched his opponent, if it had not been cut short.

“Enough, Galbradi,” Mordred commanded, raising an open palm. “Today is not a day for shedding blood.”

With reluctance, the elf backed down, retreating to his master’s side, weapon still drawn. A while, he gazed upon Taran. The boy could not help but feel animousity from those black eyes, as if some unearthly creature was viewing him with hatred. But rather, it was tenderness that Galbradi looked down with.

Taran? How could it be so? Enduras had been tasked with keeping him safe. How could he be here, in the middle of the conflict? Enduras was a man of honor, no? But my, how the boy has grown. Far paler than his people, to be sure, but look at those muscles. He’s not unfamiliar with the handle of a blade. But how is it he would have met his demise at the end of mine own? Could Enduras have-yes, that’s the only explanation. Enduras defied me, plunged an innocent into a conflict that was not his. Such a thing was monstrous. Monstrous! And Tumultu! How will he react? Surely he knows, surely he knows that I saved one… My daughter… My gods, what will he do to her for my disobedience?! No… No… If he knew, he would have acted… He is yet in the dark. She is safe. But Taran… Taran is the opposite of safe. And it’s Enduras’ fault… He must pay… He will pay, at the end of my sword, no less. Such is my task; to bring judgement down upon the wicked.

“On to business,” Tumultu said almost cheerily. Two Judges broke ranks and began tapping their fingers on various buttons upon dashboards in the wall, with some unknown purpose in mind. After some time of this, the eye-stalk-like camera that hung from the ceiling leered at Tumultu’s face, which appeared on the large screen of the room, and on all of the Nhar’Jusk company screens, doubtlessly cutting whatever entertainment they had short.

“Malagath people,” he began, addressing his viewers as a whole. “I interrupt thee to inform that thou shalt not be returning to thy dream pods again. Not for a long while, anyways. Thou didst see what horrors Ilgathar rained upon thee, thinking a new era of prosperity was upon thee. It was an illusion, a trick of the Nhar’Jusk Company. Their guile would have thee trapped in a hellish world of torture with no escape, believing in a lie so that they may reap the weaning harvests of thy beautiful, but dying world. Where they promised peace, they gave the madness. Where Ilgathar promised benevolence, he rained visions of horror upon thee. Now I have come to liberate thee from thy induced slumber. For too long hath thou been a farm for Ilgathar, letting him grow fat and drunk on thy dreams until he no longer needed thee, and sent thee into nightmare.

“Not even his greatest priests and messengers were let in on the truth; nay, only Nhar’Jusk was in one it, conspiring with Ilgathar so as to keep reality for himself. He hath met his timely end, as this world does. Now I, Lord Tumultu of the Eludinari Empire, extend an invitation in the midst of thy liberation. Come, join myself and my Judges in our return to Illaniar, where thou mayst enjoy a true utopia, one in reality, one that thou canst see and hear and touch without the burden of dreams, without the selfish intents of a company driven by profit. Thou art free to decline, of course. None shalt force thee to come with us to a brave new world.

“Now, thou doth face a choice. Shalt thou go with thy liberators, to live with dignity in a true reality, or stay behind to salvage what little thou canst from thy broken world? Resources run thin; services can sustain only so many people who remain. I implore thee; join us, to a world where all that thou couldst need or want shalt be provided for thee. A place where thou shalt be equals with all, from the newborn babe to even thy rulers. I leave it up… to thee.”

The Judges tapped a few more times on the keys, and the eyestalk retracted back up into the ceiling, never to be seen. Without so much as a second glance, the Emperor whirled around and left his opponents amid the ruins of their utterly shattered plans, his ensemble at his heels.

“How could things have gone so wrong?” Taran questioned, anger building up inside him. He half wanted to rush out and attempt to assault Tumultu again, in spite of his near-death experience.

“He let us think we had outsmarted him,” Salvar said angrily, slamming a gloved fist against the wall. “He let us make the people think Ilgathar was on their side, then took our lie and twisted it to his own purpose.”

“I warned you about using deception to win their hearts,” Luxord said matter-of-factly. “I suppose it was inevitable.”

“Gee, that’s reassuring Luxord,” the teen commented dryly.

“Do not give into despair, Taran,” the samurai berated, with mild irritation in his voice. “That is exactly what he wants for us to do. Those who despair cannot surmount that which instills it.”

“He’s right, y’know,” Arianna said tersely. “I don’t like losing these people to the Eludinari block-heads, but there’s nothing we can do now, so no use moping about it.”

“We have much more to do as it is,” Salvar said, opening a portal in the wall, again a familiar mass of swirling Darkness. “We cannot do any more for them.”

“Where to, then?” Arianna questioned, her curiosity piqued.

“Taiurula,” Salvar replied. “We already have an agent there to help us. With luck, we should be able to keep them from joining the Empire.” This said, the group stepped within the gateway, traveling between worlds…

“I sssssaw you in that nightmare,” the Malagath shrieked accusingly, pointing a finger at Tumultu as he was about to retreat through one of his own numerous portals that dotted the labyrinthine corridors. “You will never convincccccce me to leave my friendsssss, my home, or Ilgathar!”

“Why you filthy, scaly-“ a Judge began as he strode threateningly towards the dissenting snake-woman, spear raised above his head. As he brought his weapon down upon her head, though, it was not upon scales the metal came down upon, but instead clattered against the metal breastplate of his Emperor, harmlessly glancing off. “M-my Lord!”

“We hath come as liberators, not conquerors,” Mordred said chillingly, grabbing the shaft of the spear in his hand and snapping it in two. “Thou art unfit for duty if thou canst not greet the victims with open arms and open heart.” As he said this, he unleashed a mental strike upon his disobedient soldier, sending his armored form into a slump on the ground, unconscious.

“He shalt awake with a severe migraine,” the Emperor said, leaning towards Alister. “See to it that he is sent to the front lines.”

“It shall be done, my lord,” the Magister said dutifully. With little effort, he hauled up the man’s fallen form and slung him over his shoulder, bearing him back to Illaniar for demotion. The crisis thus averted, the Emperor returned to his throne, to assume his usual duties once more…

“Tea, m’Lord?” Jeeves said as usual, beginning to offer a cup of steaming tea for his Emperor. He had been at this task for a few weeks non-stop, with the answer always being a polite “No, thank thee, Jeeves.” So used to this response was he that he already began to bear the platter with a complete set for tea time away.

“Now that I think of it…” the Eludinari mused, his voice wavering. “I think I shalt accept thy offer.”

So stunned was the servant that at first he thought he had misheard. But being a well-trained butler, he did not inquire as to whether he heard correctly, merely handing his lord the cup. Together they were, above the clouds of Illaniar, one standing with a tray for tea, the other sitting upon a throne, occasionally sipping from his cup and sighing as if all were right in his universe…

< Message edited by Mordred -- 10/23/2012 22:26:30 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 29
2/2/2013 19:04:04   
Mordred

Below the city of Faralden on the world of Taiurula was a massive, web-like network of corridors and tunnels lined with pipes spanning miles and miles each, transporting steam to critical junction areas all over the bustling capital of the superpower that was the capital city of a rising country. While there was a great deal of workers living within the darkness to maintain this system, what these tunnels were primarily used for was covert military surveillance.

Within hidden bunkers were stationed men and woman who constantly toiled in their steam-filled environment, tracking any unnatural disturbances. A recent technology, there were still many kinks, not the least of which was the difficulty of correctly seeing the readings through both the steam and the lenses of the heavy metal masks military personnel wore at all times. Each peered with their now near-superhuman eyes at a small screen built into a panel covered with dials and knobs showing an image of the city above in a green grid. Small, eye-like drones crafted into spherical hunks of brass flew around on propellers upon their tops, scanning the city in perpetual cycles. If an anomalous burst of energy through supernatural means were to be detected, it would show up on each screen within the chambers below. As it was unrefined, the technology could not exactly pinpoint the location of the disturbance, merely its general location.

It was midway through their summer season when this detection center picked up a massive anomaly for a few seconds within the city’s Business Center district, registering on their scales far above even the “normal” spikes in supernatural energy. Men and women at their stations began shouting as they leapt up from their chairs within the undercity, alerting their superior officers up topside and gearing up to search the entire district…

Taran stepped out from amid the darkness a tad disoriented. The passageway had been most curious, most curious indeed. As soon as he stepped within the “doorway”, everything was different. The air around him felt heavy with age, a musty tang within it that bespoke being locked away for a considerable amount of time. In the traditional sense, it wasn’t even air; the passageways were bridges branching between worlds and times, breaking down those who entered into a less material form and rearranging them upon return to a more material state. The mechanics aren’t quite understood even by contemporary magi and priests, for it’s a form of travel that has its roots based in the nether-regions of Limbo. When the ShadowScythe, soon rechristened the Eludinari Empire, managed to open a gateway into Limbo, they also opened up a vast array of tunnels and bridges that connected worlds through space and time, allowing a form of travel that transpired in neither. This network, however, is not without its dangers; Void energy permeates everything within; tarry too long, and one is wont to find their material form is not what it once was before entering. Not only that, but while one could possibly travel through time as they bridged worlds, the mechanics are difficult beyond most knowledge, even that of some of Lore’s most skilled chronomancers. Exasperating such travel were special barriers put in place by a certain sovereign ruler, a would-be god, denying passage through time even for himself. Understanding the dangers and temptations of chronomancy, he sought to bar its access in such a manner as he could, so that not even all the magi of Lore could overcome his barriers. But I digress… It has been quite a while since I’ve indulged myself in these digressions, has it not? I do miss them so, for each adds that much more to me to this retelling of the events that transpired some decades ago.

I apologize. You are, of course, merely looking for words to place within the annals of history, not my personal ramblings… and regrets. Now, where was I… Ah, yes, Taran travelling along one of these passageways. The boy could see such wondrous sights beyond the murky borders of the narrow passage; stars coming together and blazing to life, others expanding and dying as they consumed and spent what resources they had, galaxies coming together from clouds of dust and eventually swallowing themselves from within, and even his own homeworld, though he knew it not, bursting into trillions of little fragments of blazing earth, never to be seen again…

The teen was soon again surrounded by light, though, removed from a higher state of…awareness, one could say. When he had been there, within the grasp of the cosmos himself, he had found himself… smaller, in size. That unfolding before him were countless cycles of birth, death, and rebirth. Such is the nature of the grand Engine of Creation; not just the tool wielded by the Lords to Create new worlds but also the overarching cycle of majesty of it all, from start to finish, from Chaos, to Creation, to Uncreation, to Creation…

All around Taran were buildings, most crafted out of finely cut stone, that were pleasing to the eye; architecturally perfect yet practical, both beautiful in construction yet not opulent in taste. Spires and gargoyles leering from ledges seemed to be a common theme, sculpted out of smooth stone that at once seemed to glimmer in the light of the two suns above and appear tarnished, bellying a deal of age and weather. The streets were wide and straight, like a plotted grid. The largest of the streets were paved with stone, but the narrower streets were worn dirt between the stones of bordering buildings, yet kept clean and clear. Dividing the closely packed private firms and residences were crisscrossing alleyways that were considerably less ordered than the streets themselves were. It was mostly in these alleys people waded their way through the city in this district, for many stands were set up in the streets and roads, with men and women of all sorts selling wares of great diversity to all who would dare pass by. It was in the middle of this seemingly informal marketplace that they now found themselves in, surrounded by traders and salesmen and skilled laborers, all moving about their daily lives, driving the city forward.

It started slowly at first, when the newcomers were noticed. Women began to gawk at the four alien beings who had suddenly intruded upon their sacred rituals, a few even dropping the items being handed to them, or the strange coins and papers they were handing over. Then, the shopkeepers and stand attends followed their customers’ gazes, and the men began to notice their wives’ sudden silence. Then came the gossiping, the word of mouth as the first onlookers began to demand that their neighbors also look at this strange sight, until quite a crowd had stopped in its duties, and low whispers filled the air to the point that all communication seemed blurred into one voice.

Of course, even if they could distinguish one person’s words from that of another, they couldn’t understand it. It was an entirely different language foreign to all of them. Instead of trying to make out words, Taran decided it would be best to take in the fashion of these people. The men all had the same general look about them; fine linen shirts, usually white or crème colored, worn with almost impeccable ties. Those apparently of the lower class wore no coats, despite the slight chill in the air, while those of moderate means were able to wear coarse jackets that ended at the waist. Those of greater wealth could afford full coats, coat-tails and all. Both of the latter groups also wore waist-coats underneath their jackets or coats. A few men, seemingly part of a police force of some kind, all wore the same greatcoats that came down to their ankles, badges pinned onto a breast-pocket for all to see. Likewise, hats were also used to show their financial status; the poorest bore no hats at all, those just above them worse small, flopping caps with a narrow visor just over the eyes, and the richer wearing bowler hats or even top-hats, sometimes accompanied by crests of some kind upon the ribbon. Their pants were more or less uniform; finely pressed trousers that came down just above the ankles for most. Those without hats and coats wore heavier boots made for working, whereas all the other men wore shoes, except the police-like men, who wore brown leather boots reaching half-way up the calf.

The women, meanwhile, all seemed to stick strictly to dresses of varying sorts and in all manner of colors and patterns. The poorest wore the plainest dresses, which did not flare out at the hips or bear flamboyant patters or colors, but also seemed the more comfortable. Those above them could afford more styled dresses, which came out at the hips with several layers, and matching hats of varying sizes and makes. A rare few wore the most distinctive dresses, with frills upon the shoulders and broad, tall hats placed atop large mounds of tied up hair, constantly adjusted by hands in dainty gloves.

It was only after some time of gazing around that Taran noticed something… off about these people. Seemingly human, some of them had strange metallic markings upon their necks or faces; likes of various colors that reflected odd lights and seemed to have a slight pulse or ebb and flow of energy coursing through them. Some others could be glinted upon the occasional wrist or hand, showing that the location of these markings was arbitrary. Most people here must have them in some shape or form; and indeed, the vast majority of them did.

Suddenly, a blaring siren drowned out the hum of whispers with high, droning notes that reverberated off of the high buildings around them. Wagging tongues lay still as the citizens realized what the alarm signaled, and began to panic. Cries were let loose as a steady beat thuded somewhere nearby, growing louder as if it was approaching the mob that was growing increasingly frantic in its struggles to comprehend these strange events.

It was Luxord who first saw the lights approaching from over the rooftops. “Look to the skies!” he cried out, pointing at the closest orb of light.

Taran turned his gaze upward to see that the orb was now peering down at their group, shining a brilliantly blinding light despite the fact that they were clearly visible to whatever it was that now bathed them in such an unceremonious manner. As his eyes slowly adjusted to the light, with some aid from his hands to shield them from the harsh rays, he could make out the silhouette of some towering monstrosity; a dome-like mass with an assortment of angled rods bristling over its surface like a coat of dangerous spines, perched precariously on top of two long, spindly legs of some sort. The thing was made for easily stepping over the three-story buildings that made up the majority of the city, standing at least a full five stories tall.

With a languid gait the imposing menace touched down onto the street’s pavement, sending businessmen and merchants scrambling for cover, heedless of their dropped items. Its second foot crunched down on top of a vendor’s stand, provoking cries of outrage from the owner, who was cowed by a loud, booming voice emitted almost instantly from the dome atop the two mobile towers. It was clearly the same language Taran had not understood before, only harsher, with a metallic ring to it.

More of the ungainly things followed after the first, quickly surrounding the party of four so that their lights covered every inch about them, reducing their shadows to nothing. Again, the same voice said something to them, sounding even harsher than before. After a time of silence, the domed-thing again spoke, its voice now booming ominously. At the same time, Arianna noticed strange figured begin to line up atop the rooftops of the nearby structures, lowering what looked like sniper-rifles and aiming directly at them.

“Guys, I think they’re going to kill us…” the elf whispered under her breath as she raised her hands. “Do something, Salvar!”

Upon seeing the woman raise her hands above her head, the spectators cried out with what was evidently horror, their mouths contorted into almost perfect “O” shapes. With sharp clicks, strange devices emerged from the underbellies of the several domed stilt-walkers surrounding them, nestled right in between the two legs and lowered at them. The apparent leader barked an unmistakable command, and Taran instinctively cringed as he realized they were firing.

Time seemed to move in slow-motion as a puff of smoke burst from the ground beside Taran with a spray of confetti and the sound of a kazoo or other nonsensical instrument. At the same time, a tinted barrier of green light rose around the four outworlders, enclosing them and the cloud in its protective embrace. Several rounds of fire bounced harmlessly off of the barrier milliseconds later. They were bolts of various colors of light, likely of a similar nature as the barrier that had saved them in the nick of time. The attackers continued their salvo, oblivious to the lack of holes in their targets.

“Now, now, Salvar, I had specifically warned you against popping in like this. You took no precautions; anybody within the closest five systemscould’ve detected that!”

“We had to make a quick exit; what would you have had me do, wait for the Empire’s swords to come down on our heads while I placed the safe-guards?”

“… Then the Malagath are lost?”

“Regrettably.”

When the smoke cleared, Taran saw two men standing in its place. The first, who was conversing with Salvar, was a strange fellow. Standing just short of the Italian, he was clad in almost all red garb; bright crimson boots with a dazzling white trim lining their cuffs, white leggings that puffed out a little and had vertical blue lines from top to bottom, a red, light coat that came down to the waist at the front and to his knees at the back with a dazzling gold trim at the edges and a popped collar that reached his ears. At his neck was a layered cravat made of silk that trailed halfway down his slender torso. At his hip was a broadsword with a simple enough blade, but a fine hilt with swirling pieces of gold reaching out in various shapes and curls. Upon his other hip hung a small, heavy tome decorated with swirling runes and gold filigree. Wrapped around his not-so-broad shoulders was a double layered cloak; the first reaching just below the shoulders, and the second layer underneath trailing upon the ground. Both were crafted of the same bright red, and also trimmed with gold. Atop the man’s trailing mane of long silver hair was a red, broad-brimmed fedora, with a long white feather held neatly by a gold strap at the base.

The second man was of similar dress to the other people of this world, with a top hat, full coat and form-fitting shoes of black and white showing him to be of a decent sum of wealth. In his hand he held a simple walking stick, which he used intermittently to keep his balance, for his gait was awkward and unrefined, as if he had never quite learned how to walk. His upper body would sway behind where his legs took him, as if delayed, and his legs at time seemed at odds with their placement, sometimes taking a step right with his left or a step left with his right. He was ever fidgeting, nervously grasping at his neck with the hand that was not currently holding his walking stick (which changed hands almost every other moment). He was a gangly, awkward wraith of a man, everything too thin and long to be in proper proportion. He was clearly young, for his face was clean-shaven and held no lines of age or strife, but instead full of youth and inexperience. Unlike the other men within the crowd, his hair was messy and unkempt, falling out from under his top hat with wild abandon and trailing down until it obscured part of his collar. Upon his crooked nose were elliptical spectacles, which he ever seemed to be pushing back up with a finger only to have it slide back down imperceptibly a few seconds later, as if it would never stay in proper place. But what stood out most were the eyes of this man, a piercing blue pair that ever turned ‘round in their sockets, taking in anything and everything in sight, analyzing some things, and quickly dismissing others. Often did they hang long upon the four strangers, yet always managed to pull away.

Again, the dome-head called out in its native tongue, which garnered a response from the man in red in kind. “What did you two say?” Arianna questioned, voicing what they all wanted to say.

“Wha-?” the man began with uncertainty, as if the question itself surprised him. “He wanted to know why I had saved you guys, and I told him that it’s because you’re with us.” His green eyes widened as it dawned on him why the elf had asked in the first place. “Oh, that’s right, you guys don’t understand their language!” Then, muttering to himself, he added, “Silly old fool that I am. Of course you wouldn’t.” With that, the man flicked his wrists. “There, now I’ve inscribed my masterful knowledge of Taiurulian into your heads. For simplicity’s sake, I’ve also altered how you’ll see their mouths so that it’s in-synch with what you’re hearing. Took me ages to figure out why I had trouble keeping myself from laughing whenever I was talked to.”

“Wait, how does that work, Red Mage?” Luxord asked as he rubbed his green chin in thought. “The language was just as foreign to you as it was to us.”

“The answer’s simple, really,” the man replied matter-of-factly. “Animal husbandry!”

Taran gazed upon the bizarre man dumbly for a while before saying incredulously, “What?”

“Animal husbandry,” the man supplied, “is the magical art of communing with all animals of any kind. I’ve maxed out my animal husbandry, so I can commune perfectly with any creature! It was simple really; the animals here understood the language. They just couldn’t speak it. I can, however, because people talk. Obviously.”

“That… doesn’t make any sense at all. There’s no logic behind that reasoning at all,” Salvar said flatly.

“As good sir Marrin had put it,” the second man interjected, raising his walking stick, “’It’s so illogical that reality itself conforms to make it work as it shouldn’t.’”

“Ahem,” another man coughed to gain the attention of the six. His voice was slightly muffled, and when they looked over, they realized why. He was an imposing man, clad in heavy military dress covered with a black leather greatcoat. His entire right arm was a confused mass of brass clockwork, with whirring cogs at all the joints and tubes running from the shoulder to the man’s fingers, made to project energy like a firearm the size of his hand. His head, framed by the massively oversized, raised collar of his coat, was encased in the same brass metal as his arm, as if it were a gasmask. The eyeholes were bulging, gaping portals of solid blue glass that protruded as perfect circles from the metal. Where the nose and mouth should have been was a breathing apparatus of sorts, an egg-shaped hill with a tube on each side running down along his neck to somewhere below his dark-brown uniform. “Red Mage, what is the need for this barrier? Why do you protect these interlopers?”

“Because you’ve gone and pointed guns at them,” the Red Mage replied. “I’d be some protector if I let my associates get shot up because you people are paranoid.”

At hearing the dry comment about the guns, the metal-man raised a gloved hand. Immediately, the stilt-walkers retracted their weapons, and the rooftop gunners lowered their arms. “Need I remind you, Marrin, that it was you who warned us to keep an eye out for such energy signatures?”

As Marrin replied, the barrier around them lowered, and the tension fell that much more. “Yes, I did say that, didn’t I?”, he said with a hint of humor in his almost trill-like voice. “However, I also made it abundantly clear that you’d know when our quarry had shown up, and that he wouldn’t be so easily dissuaded. Guns pose as much a threat to him as fresh air does to you or me.”

“Air can be poisoned, outsider,” the commander said, his voice dropping in hospitality as he spoke. “Air can be made into the most lethal of weapons. The same could be said for anything, with the right tools. Now, will you allow us to take these four into custody?”

“I’m afraid that won’t be necessary,” a newcomer butted in, emerging from the frightened crowd. He was dressed as the police-force, with a strange badge pinned on his chest which Taran could now read as saying “Office of Order and Commonplace Affairs: CHIEF”. “As Representative Worthington,” at saying this name, the chief tipped his hat towards the man who had accompanied Marrin, “had made abundantly clear in Parliament’s recently passed ‘Law and Order Act’, matters of common criminality fall under the jurisdiction of the Office, not the military.”

“These are not common criminals, I can assure you of that, Chief Hutchinson”, the commander replied, irritated. “Their grievous crimes mu-“

“What crimes have they committed, sir?” Hutchinson countered with a bitter tone as he drew closer to the ‘criminals’. “I can tell you what, because here I was, buying bread to put on the table when it happened. They’ve merely disturbed the peace. Hardly a matter of national security. As such, it falls upon me to take them into custody for their ‘grievous crimes’.”

“You’d best be moving along, Corporal,” Worthington said, beaming as he leaned on his walking stick. “The law’s on his side for this one. I’d know; I authored it.”

Furious, the corporal conceded defeat in that he turned angrily on his heels and marched back towards the nearest stilt-walker. Shortly after, the lights that had still been trained on them were shut off, and the squad sent to apprehend the group returned whence they came. Without the lights, Taran could now see the towering things clearly. They were lumbering mechanical beasts, one and all, crafted from a dull opaque metal. Gears and knobs could e seen in various places, and a system of multiple pistons were used to let the legs bend. With every motion, steam burst out from some pipe, so that there was an almost constant cloud around the massive heads of the beast. A single red eye glared out from under this cloud, shining through like some angry god within a storm cloud.

“Much obliged, Edmund,” Worthington said, turning to the chief. “Deeply sorry to have intruded upon your off-duty day.”

“Think nothing of it, sir,” the man replied jocundly, a broad smile beaming from under his thick moustache. “I’m always on-duty. Good thing for this lot. I’ll take care of the paperwork, sir. I assume you’ll be paying for their bills?”

“Yes, yes. I’ll send them off on the morrow. Good day to you, Edmund, and I wish the family well.”

“And you as well, sir.” Bowing, the chief delved back into the crowd, and began ordering them to return to their usual affairs.

“We’re off, then?” Salvar asked, raising an eyebrow towards Marrin.

“Yes, and our most gracious host, Aidan Worthington, has offered his humble abode for our stay,” the mage offered, bowing and flourishing his broad-brimmed hat towards the representative.

“I think we shall walk, there, Marrin”, the suit-clad man replied as he began to set off. At this, the mage looked discouraged, and began to slouch. “Along the way, I’ll show you what better sights our ‘fair’ city has to offer, and tell you about us and myself. Shall we?” And with that, the party of six set off, making their way through a crowd that was yet massing around them…

< Message edited by Mordred -- 2/2/2013 20:45:02 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 30
4/5/2013 8:54:05   
Mordred

“Sir,” Jeeves began as he ascended the staircase that coiled around the spire to its apex. “There is a man here to see you.”

“Who is it?” the Emperor asked nonchalantly as he gazed up at the moon from the edge of the tower, his sabatons hanging over the gulf below of clouds.

“He says he is a doctor, and that you’ve been expecting him,” Jeeves answered. “He didn’t give a name.”

“Let him in,” the pale faced man replied as he drew towards his throne. “And don’t bother with guards, mind thee. He’s not fond of weapons.”

The servant obliged, bowing as he went to receive the guest. He returned moments later, a second man following upon his heels. He appeared to be an orc, standing at least a full head above Jeeves, with dark green skin and what appeared to be tribal tattoos under his eyes. Though his face was relatively young, those eyes belied a great wisdom and ancient knowing; they peered out through thick-rimmed glasses, leering out at the world with a mix of awe and repulsion, seeing beyond the mere physical being and breaking apart the universe into how it fit into its little part of Reality. Above these eyes hung the brim of a wide-brimmed fedora tipped ever so slightly forward upon his bald head, obscuring his brow. He was clad in a tailored suit, wearing slacks altogether too long for his legs and bunching over his ankles and polished white shoes, a black dress-shirt with the collar popped poking out from under a blue light long-coat with parted coat-tails. Wrapped around his neck was an ascot colored bright orange, serving as bright plumage for the orc. In his hand was a cane of ivory, covered from end to end with more tribal symbols in black ink.

“Y’know, I’m really glad you left the laggards with the spears down there,” the fashion-bereft orc said amiably as he almost stumbled his way towards the throne. “And you clearly have this whole shtick down.”

“Beg pardon?” the Eludinari questioned, raising an eyebrow with a bemused expression.

“Look at you, all decked out in shining metal, halo-esque ring of gold behind your head, long flowing cape that becomes a pool of fabric around your feet whenever you sit. You’ve clearly got the ‘ruler of this world’ look down to the finest detail. How functional is all that armor, anyways? I’d imagine you can’t very well stand up for a few minutes at a time.”

At this, the ruler let his thin lips curve into a faint smile as he chuckled. “Charming, Doctor. When is what they’ve been calling thee, no?”

“Doctor When’s the name; you’ve got it,” the orc affirmed, cocking his head to the side. “And you would be the auspicious Tumultu, no?”

“No need for formalities, then. Introductions are needless when we know one another.”

“Oh, but do we? You don’t even know my name.”

“I’ve no interest in it.”

“Then you’d be the first.”

“Tell me, Doctor, why hath thou come here?”

“Just sight-seeing. Heard ‘bout this wonderful jewel among the stars, blazing at the very edge of the universe like a bright little fire amidst extinguished candles.” Here, the orc took a seat upon the right arm-rest of Mordred’s throne and lowered his face down to gaze at the Emperor’s. With his glasses lowered to the end of his nose, he said “And the stories I’ve heard about you. Why, if I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re feats are almost, oh, god-like.”

“Thou often claim to know better than most.”

“Everyone, really, but that’s beside the point. You’re the one I want to focus on.” Saying this, the Doctor leapt up, casting a hand up into the clear sky. “Take a look at that, for example. It looks like an empty sky, but those able to tap into their latent physic energies could tell that you’ve been holding an illusion up there for quite some time now. Is it really worth it to try to hide that black hole? Any of the people who’d care to see it can see through it anyways. Why hide such a gorgeous sight from the masses.”

“A black hole orbiting a planet is hardly understood by even the likes of your kind, When,” the Eludinari noted demurely, steepling his armored fingers as he spoke. “In fact, even before their great fall, I imagine they’d claim such a thing impossible, let alone now, when they’ve been reduced to so little.”

“Hah, tough talk coming from a man claiming to be of a race that’s never existed.”

“The stories of thee portrayed thee as much more open-minded, TimeOrc. But I digress. I’ve disguised this black hole as a moon because it would only cause unrest for them to know the truth.”

“Well, I’d hope so,” When said cheerily, twirling his cane in his hand. “It is a black hole, after all. They’re all in danger here.”

“I can assure thee, no harm shall come to my people through any actions of mine own.”

“How can you say that with a big, all-absorbing point of near-infinite density literally circling around your precious planet like a shark?”

“A shark? An amusing thought, if I hadn’t place it there.”

“Who in their right mind would say ‘Hmmm, let’s take a great big, sucky… thing, and put it right next to these people I claim to love and have it spin around them like a toy they can’t play with’? Don’t you realize that even if you could keep the planet from breaking apart and collapsing into a single point of infinite density, where all the laws of Reality, including time, break down into nothingness, you have to deal with the constant energy and radiation coming off of the event horizon like a great big beacon of… death?”

“Wouldst we be talking about it here if I hadst not?”

“… Fair enough point, I suppose. Stupid question. But how? No-one could possibly tell all of the laws of nature to go play somewhere else while they take the reins. You can’t just make a black hole orbit anything and expect it to work.”

“Yet it very clearly does, Doctor When. I couldst go into how I’ve realigned the matrix core of the black hole and bathed the planet with counter-active energies to repel the hole’s own field and send it out into the center of the universe, hiding this entire world within the blanket of a protective black hole and thus hide the fact that I took the Engine of Creation to the very edge of the universe and created a whole new planet outside the reach of Lorithia, The’Galin, and the Elemental Lords, but I imagine thy visit doesn’t quite grant thee the luxury of time for that. Nor do I have the time to explain it. All beside the point that thou don’t question why thine own means of travel is similarly able to negate the adverse effects of a black hole and thus fly out from its field.”

“I’d absolutely love to have the conversation,” the Doctor said, impressed. “But I’m afraid you’re right. Oooh, that felt weird, saying you’re right… Of course, then there’s you, similarly impossible.”

“Really? Pray tell.”

“I… see things beyond what they simply are. I can see how an object, or person, or event, fits into the timeline of reality. Ignoring the fact that you didn’t quite have a linear life, through no choice of your own, meaning I can do nothing to interfere, I look at you, and it’s like… like I can see a bunch of different people thrown together into one.”

Mordred stiffened at this, his back going rigid as he almost bored holes into Doctor When’s face with a penetrating glare. “What do you mean, Doctor?” he began, a hint of outrage in his voice. “Doth thou mean to imply that I am not wholly myself?”

“No; quite the contrary. You’re very clearly your own man. It’s just that… I see more underneath that. Shadows of a time long past. And that worries me. Well, less that and more all these weapons you’ve got stocked up here.”

“Ah. So then we get to thy true aims in visiting me. Is this a warning? Foreboding words from the legendary Doctor, veteran of so many battles, so many wars, so much destruction?”

“Perhaps. I just want to say that what you’re doing here is brilliant, amazing, fantastic, genius even. That’s saying something, considering, well, I’m here. In all my travelling, never have I seen a single person unite people so far apart in both cultures and space so well. Really, that’s brilliant. I’d almost say you have a hypnotic effect on them, to get so many here. Including the recent addition of the Malagath people.”

At this, the Emperor smiled once more, and eased back into a casual slouch. “Yet thou know that’s not the case. I hath always been one to embrace the fact that they’ve come of their own free will. No coercion, no direct manipulation. All free will. To prove that this cause is right and just, Doctor.”

“Yeah, about that cause, though,” the Doctor said hesitantly. “I’m not sure that’s all well and good.”

“What concerns have thee of mine?”

“Oh, just the fact that you’re building up for a god-war the likes of which never seen in this universe.”

“Thou lack the bearing of a god to me, When.”

“Yeah, but, y’know me. You also know about a certain…” Here, When seemed to struggle with the name. With a start, though, and a finger pointed upwards, “Tholeon Webb? Yes, that’s the one!”

“Mmmmm… Yes, quite the troublesome shadow indeed. But another universe, one that never existed. Of course, only those directly involved knew of it; as far as the rest of Reality is concerned, it never happened.”

“Oh, but you and I were both there, in some form or another. I was a mistake, of course, just falling through a small gap. But I saw there the catastrophic atrocities of that god war, and vow to never let it happen again.”

“A noble sentiment, Doctor. One I wholeheartedly approve of and support.”

“Excuse me?”

“When, thou doth know of my exile through Limbo, sending me through the vast expanse of Time and Space and landing so far away, and so far back. It was… a distasteful experience, to say the least to thee. Chronomancy is a powerful magic, ripe for abuse in the wrong hands. I don’t even trust myself with its power; as expansive as my knowledge and reach is, I cannot dare guess what such tampering with the progression of events wouldst have. Nor canst I allow for such discrepancies from those who wouldst call me an enemy. Tholeon Webb was vile and rank in manner and nature, unraveling critical events of a timeline that shouldst hath been better safeguarded. Chronomancy brings with it a chaos and discord I shalt not abide for. Thus, I hath protected my interests, keeping the likes of Webb from meddling in my affairs, much to their chagrin. Fortunately, I need not incite open war through such cutthroat means, and thus, thou hath no qualm with me.”

“While I may be the Keeper of Time, my duties go beyond that, Tumultu,” the TimeOrc said gravely, rubbing his green chin as he spoke. “Even if you don’t utilize chronomancy or timetravel or other Reality-warping means, I can’t let you start such an event.”

“But it wouldst not be me to call forth the drums of war. Surely, thou must see I am as much a servant of Reality as thou art. If anything, I am bound by far heavier chains than though ever wert. I hath given up all personal pleasures to take on this role, When.”

“Doesn’t look like it with all this around,” When grumbled in kind.

“Thou didst lose thine own family, for which I give thee my sympathies, worthless as they are to thee. I, however, hath never known family; all I ever hadst claim to in life was a father who disowned me, and a draconic companion taken from me all too soon. Never a lover, never a child entering my life. It pains thee to hear a child laugh because it brings up memories of thine own; it pains me all the greater for never having such memories. I find myself drawn towards an open library more than anywhere else, furthering my knowledge or that of others through shared experiences. Yet I find myself bound to thrones and warchambers, caught amidst battles and wars, only to watch friend and foe alike fall and crumble into dust. I hadst grown weary of this role long ago, yet bear it still I must. To end suffering, I must become suffering. To bring about the end of Chaos, I must become chaos incarnate, appearing ever to be its greatest tool. Seeking peace, I must fight in a seemingly endless cycle of ruin and disorder. This is the burden of the last Eludinari.”

At the mention of Chaos, though, Doctor When could hardly repress a chuckle. “I’m sorry, but did you mention Chaos? I’m afraid my time here was ill-spent, then. To be so concerned over a purple parasite… It’s great, really. I might be able to take a day off or two, just to watch you muddle about with such a trivial matter.”

“I talk not of that ‘scourge’,” Mordred countered, rising from his throne. Even though Doctor When was taller than Tumultu, the Eludinari began to tower over the TimeOrc, the air growing dark and heavy. “A pathetic excuse of a parasite masquerading as chaotic destruction is so below my concerns that even a rat infestation shouldst be of greater concern to me. That ‘chaos’ is but a disease to be studied and cured by wise enough alchemists. Though the knowledge was lost, my father’s people hadst rid their homes of that purple infection before my time. It’s reintroduction to Lore is but a discredit to their alchemists, who art so incompetent as to consider it as being of great merit and worry. To mix my name with such vermin is to place a taint upon my quest, and discredits all that I do. The only harm that disease can bring is to one’s reputation. The Chaos I stare down daily is a far greater foe, beyond thyself, and even our Reality. What Mother is to Webb, Chaos is to thee, When.”

“Fancy words, but words nonetheless,” the Doctor commented dryly, leaning on his cane. “Do you have anything to back up this claim?”

At this, the Eludinari hunched forward, his lips drawn into a terse silence. Unable to look at the TimeOrc, he replied after some time, “I have naught to sway thee. Only the words of a man claimed mad, and… notions, visions in mine head. Memories half-remembered, as if looking back with but a single shard of a broken mirror. Ephemeral shadows and whispers, unseen by all save myself…”

“I really can’t let you go one like this, Tumultu,” When said after absorbing these words, his heart heavy and voice heavier still. “I feel for you; really, I do. You’re doing something great here; you’ve always been putting others ahead of yourself. But not like this. Not if it means a god war, and certainly not if it ultimately means the end of free-will in the universe. The people need to decide right and wrong for themselves.”

“And why is that, Doctor?” the man countered cynically, each word thrust like a weapon. “What wrong is there in someone deciding what is right and wrong for them? To eliminate all concept of wrong from their consciousness, leaving only the possibility to make the right choices. It wouldst not even be total control on my part; far too tedious. It would only restrict them to the right answers? Thou canst not try to claim no one canst decide for others; thou foist thy own morals upon others, to maintain the Balance. Thou and I art ever working towards the same goals; we fight to bring the peace; we serve as judges o’er the damned, the oppressed, the masses, to bring them towards their greatest possible beings. I have no quarrels with thee; thou art one of the few I feel canst truly understand my nature! We need not oppose one another!” By the end of his speech, the Emperor had risen from his throne and approached When, holding out his arms beseechingly.

“I’m sorry,” When replied as he gazed into the red, cat-like eyes of the Eludinari. “I’m so, so sorry. But I can’t let you do that. If you won’t end it here, I’ll have to for you. As much good as you claim to bring, you call upon far more wickedness.” Those yellow eyes that had watched the tapestry of time weave itself together in its traditional disjointed manner stared deep into the thin pupils bordered by red irises, searching, pleading for some sign, some show of repentance.

Instead, the unblinking eyes of crimson glazed over with likeness to a wall of glass, deflecting the harrowing, plaintive stare of When, devoid of emotion. The Emperor turned from the Time Orc, instead turning his gaze upon the illusory moon above, folding his arms behind his back underneath the heavy grey cloak that trailed down to the floor.

“If you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you,” When noted with no malice as he spun on his heel and made his leave, twirling his white cane between his thick, green fingers.

“”I hath gazed for some many long years into the abyss,” Tumultu began, making the timetraveler stop in his tracks and prick a pointed ear. “And it dare not raise its eyes to gaze upon my form.” This said, the TimeOrc retreated down the spiraling staircase, heading for his vehicle.

< Message edited by Mordred -- 4/5/2013 9:04:53 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 31
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> RE: (DF) Mordred's Vengeance: A Tale of Grief, Despair, Anger, Heroism, and the Heart
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition