Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: MQ's Low Popularity

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: MQ's Low Popularity
Page 2 of 21«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/19/2010 12:06:33   
Diark

So there are two important things to make MQ more popular:

1.Improve the gameplay and graphics

2.Advertise the new improvements.

Both need time to finish and so even IF they did improve the gameplay and graphics the staff will have to remove the Image of MQ being too complicated and hard.Another problem is that players don't level up or gain credit "Over Time".Lets see how it goes with a level 40 character.My reward is 2800 credits and i need about an average of 55000 credits to buy a weapon.I would need to farm an approx of 18 battles.A normal player would likely be bored to death by that type of farming.

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 26
5/19/2010 12:11:17   
  Korin

In response to the 6 months of releases being finished in one day, many game developers spend years on a game that can easily be finished in one day. It's just not uncommon without doing things to force the player to slow down. An example of this would be Sonic Unleashed. If the player only had to play as Sonic, you'd finish the game in a little over 2 hours. If you add the werehog, suddenly it adds several hours to the gameplay because it's a slower gametype. While it does prolong gameplay, it's also negatively received. Walking that line is very difficult and the same goes for MQ. We could make you repeat 1 fight 20 times and it'll slow you down for a little bit but it'll be monotonous.

Another thing to take into account is all the holidays. I have a very love-hate relationship with the holidays. In one way, I love making holiday content. On the other side, I hate that it takes up so much time that we have to stop our storyline releases to do it. This makes the end of the year and the beginning of the year especially painful since there's so many holidays jammed together. Plus there was the 4 weeks of Frostval which completely stopped the Necryptos planet.

Which reminds me. I need to do a post-mortem on that. Maybe I'll start organizing that today.
MQ  Post #: 27
5/19/2010 12:15:39   
EinhanderX01

The Exp-to-Credit ratio has been skewed towards Credits over Exp, so that 1 level up should equal enough credits to buy a new mech or two and a few weapons.

Back in the early days of MQ, it was balanced, but it saw more people leveling up faster than they were getting Credits to purchase equipment, even when the pricing was altered. Pricing might need altering again, or the Credit rate increased to offset the higher pricing, but that's a tangentially related issue.

IIRC, blues did state that the Exp rate curve gets better so that leveling at higher levels (probably 60 or later) is faster than leveling at the lower levels. This was to be a reversal of AQ's system, where the leveling was fast at the lower levels, but incredibly slow at the high levels.

Granted, there's the possibility of having a leveling up system similar to AQW's, where it's easy to reach a certain level (let's say 30), but then back to normal (as in the current system) or harder (takes even longer) to reach the latest level (still 40).
Post #: 28
5/19/2010 12:19:01   
flame80010

one thing i would like to see is lvl's 1-25 completely revamped lvl 13-19 in particular

because really thats were you get the most attention in the game, but its the least done up
it had the most dull specials and really is just slow and imbalanced

Revamp teh early levels should get people more interetested :3

TBH my first time playing this game, it got to lvl 13 and quit because it was just SOOOOO dull having like no real specials

but then later on as my mechs got better it became more fun
then wehn i became an SC, it just satrted becomming to easy o.o

< Message edited by flame80010 -- 5/19/2010 12:35:38 >
MQ  Post #: 29
5/19/2010 12:22:33   
Diark

Yes the mid-levels really need a revamp.That is also the time when a normal MQ player would play the Westion and AvP storylines.REALLY Boring since you will have to face hard enemies with weak mechs(Mostly from finishing jobs in soluna and not counting SCMM's).

< Message edited by Diark -- 5/19/2010 12:23:11 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 30
5/19/2010 12:29:43   
Draciane

Korin, from what I read from your DN, you seem to know how a game should work. I salute you from blocking access to Yokai before previous quests are completed, you put more sense into MQ, even in your insanity. But, since you took over the game, you should continue this trend and bring down some of the things that are binding MQ. The whole storyline with Vampire was pure Genius, and it is how the quest structure should works in my head. No repitition, only one big giant saga. Then I go back to the main storyline, and you fall in your "werehog" trap, with tons of "ranked" quest, maps with non-stop battle, etc... Even when I got to Yokai, first quest we get there, a 20 Ranks one with unlockable shop. I know this is just the beginning, but I just hope that MQ indeed don't fall into this trap.

And I know what you want to say about your analogy with big game development, taking many years to give us a 1 day game...BUT you also give me Sonic, who is a fast paced game by nature as an exemple. Quite frankly, if I finish a RPG in 1 day, I think I would return the game right away, as normally, this should offer me more than that. But like I said, I know you're short-handed, I think you should have more staff to work on this game that I like. Like I said, this was my observation. If I didnt liked the game, you would not have seen me bought DragonGuard or the ArtBook for it. But you're not battling against people who can understand the situation. Who you want to win over are people who don't understand all the complication. For that, you need to give them a gameplay they want. And right now, I don't think you have the casual crowd on MQ, and this is what you need to make the game alive again. I know you would need more staff to give us more stuff to do every week (not just new weapons and/or mecha)...but at least, something should be done about the tedious grinding. Like I said, the comment that MQ is just about "grind, grind, grind" is real. The hardcore will whine of course, but at least, you take the chance to make the casual come back to your game.

ANyway, if you'll excuse me it's my lunch break, and it'S time for 1 hour of non-stop farming to maybe gain a fraction of what I need for my LV38.

PS:It's great to take time for holiday event, but for people like me who stops from time to time, it just means that we come back in an empty game, because all the events that the staff put focus on cannot be played anymore...and if I'm absent next year too (because since the past few years, it seems I'm always in a break of gaming during holidays), then it would mean I'll never see this actual content, thus making me think that not much was done (remember to think about people who don't come on the forum or read the DN), and then I could leave the game because of my vision of this slow-paced release.

I was always against rare events (I can accept rare items, but complete events with storyline...no) in a SINGLE-PLAYER game which should be enjoyed at our own pace, when we want, not when other want it. But that's only my humble opinion, but since I was not there during that time, to me, all I see is a game with not as much content as it should have during this 6 months of absence.

< Message edited by Draciane -- 5/19/2010 12:41:21 >

Draciane's Accomplishments in DragonFable
- My Phantasy Star Collection
DF  Post #: 31
5/19/2010 12:57:57   
Glais

quote:

The whole storyline with Vampire was pure Genius, and it is how the quest structure should works in my head. No repitition, only one big giant saga.

Yep, and most importantly it had TOUGH ENEMIES, I'm still trying to beat Piotr(without a V-Hunter because where would the challenge be then?).

Anyhow, I really blame two things:
One:AQWorlds, but it seems all of the games went down when it was released.

Two(more important):The game is easier at higher levels and harder at lower levels. Thus making beginning players find it too tough and they may get bored.
Around the time of the Kingadent fight, everyone whined about how low the EXP rate was(granted, whining is a bad idea) and then...it was lowered.....so basically any new players would have had an even harder time than the old.

Also, alot of people don't seem to like the Robot genre...MQ obviously can't do anything about that....

On a side note, there's alot of rare mecha....
DF MQ  Post #: 32
5/19/2010 13:05:21   
Master Champ

I also found this game to be very unique experience from all the other AE games. The only think I find similar between DF and MQ is the art and walkaround. I think that this game is the lower in popularity because it is a Sci-Fi mech game, and I also have found that the story is rather... hard to follow. But the game is actually very nice and holds the AE charm. Those who say it is DF with mechs are sorely wrong. It is truly an unique game among AE. While it was never my favorite I do agree that people should actually take the time to play it before the decide they don't like it.

(This is coming from a committed DF player)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 33
5/19/2010 13:21:22   
  Peachii
Clairvoyant!

MQ is opposite of AQ. AQ's exp seems high, but relatively hard to level up due to the high exp needed, while MQ relates on credits, which allow players to purchase mechas and equipments easily.

That is what I most love MQ, where u get to obtain all the mechs and equipments u needed easily for u to farm on a serious fight.

Also, I found MQ nice as it has a strategic storyline, as Draciane mentioned earlier. It allows you to do quests in a much orderly way, such that you're able to play the storyline step by step, instead of not knowing where to go next.

I don't know what seems to cause MQ with low popularity...but MQ is still a fun game, and I like the overall development of the game, the team is working hard for sure. =)

But IMO, thre's something seems annoying...the monthly mecha, which I don't really quite like it. The game's header is "Mechquest", so quests should be added...anyway, I'm thinking too much, apologize for out of topic, back to topic then. =X

-Peach

< Message edited by Peachii -- 5/19/2010 13:39:04 >
DF AQW  Post #: 34
5/19/2010 13:46:43   
EinhanderX01

Halloween and Frostvale are the two major holidays with a mini-storyline of their own; though Frostvale's earliest NPC, Kringle, is tied into the main storyline, and we might have another tie-in in the future in the form of the Dark Gift being captured by Zorbak.

@ Korin: Don't forget Post Mortem notes for Gark/Lagos!
Post #: 35
5/19/2010 13:52:03   
steel blade

First of all, I would like to make 1 review I made after 2 pages reading:
quote:

To start with the Staff could improve the battle menu to be some more......attractive.Maybe some thing similiar to this?(Im not very good at drawing with paint).

I completely liked this idea. It would make the battle gameplay much attractive. It's like your inside in your mecha already.
Now my turn to talk/chit chat/babble/declaring/whatzitucallit-thingymahoojies:
It's been MONTHS I havent played MQ because of the difficulty and the boredom of always-quest but I realized sumthing just the same as I realized to DF since I took a break, too, playing DF: The more sagas you finish, much more interesting to play. Also, it helps ya level up easily! So, let's say we'll make it interesting by....oh, I dunno...maybe one of this:
  • Another city in Planet Loreon
  • Another city in Planet Zargon *cough*transformerspoofsaga*cough*
  • Make a minigame of which you control your starship, like roaming around the galaxy
  • More cars please :D
  • Starship models, custom starships

Aaand yeah...that could go to the Suggestion Forums...
  • DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 36
    5/19/2010 14:08:27   
      Korin

I do like the idea of updating the look of the battle menu. I'll play with that idea.
    MQ  Post #: 37
    5/19/2010 14:27:20   
    lepnhoj

Out of AQ, DF, MQ, and AQW, Mech Quest is currently my least favorite. Keep in mind I play MQ with 3 different characters on my account with every release.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 38
    5/19/2010 14:38:39   
    steel blade

@Korin: WOOT! Wait a lightyear...you didn't see that idea a page ago? That's why I quoted it bcuz I liked it.
    EDIT: So....you will do that suggestion, Korin???

Also this came up to my mind...another thing that can make fights interesting: Battle Themes (FTW!) (Not town themes...battle themes! Like from FF! )
  • Mecha Battle Theme
  • Mecha Boss Battle Theme
  • Energy Blade Battle Theme

< Message edited by steel blade -- 5/19/2010 16:03:49 >
  • DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 39
    5/19/2010 15:22:57   
    Krillin

First of all MQ is my favourite AE game

I'll say it again, people who pay for upgrades are underwhelmed because lack of SC features

wow we can save a uniform.......... Great Starcaptain Bonus

quote:

All I can really say is trust me that we're fully aware of the issue. The problem is finding time to make an SC only quest as well as a NSC quest all within a week.

We're always hoping for opportunities though with the original Universo and everything.

Take solace in the fact that it's heavily on our minds and we're not looking to leave everything as it is now. There will be SC quests coming up. It's just a matter of how and what.

this is from Korin and it was sent to me the 5th March also Blues said around that time we would have a new SC extreme challenge

alas we haven't been given these and it is probably not only me that feels underwhelmed

Another issue in my mind is Humour, lets face the facts the other games are punnier than MQ and whilst recently the roll over text has returned it didn't make me laugh. soluna seemed alot funnier, as although irrelevant to the soluna quests/ theme they were randomly funny

P.s to increase on the visual aesthetics we should have more cutscenes *coughs* like my Duckmarine suggestion . How is it coming along Korin?

< Message edited by Krillin -- 5/19/2010 15:30:17 >
    AQ MQ  Post #: 40
    5/19/2010 16:31:04   
    drmonkey22

I like Mechquest the only reason I like dragonfable better is because swords and magic outrank aliens and mecha in my book(aliens and mecha are still cool just not as much) also mechquest has a lot of grinding required. In my opinion the games are Adventure Quest then AQ Worlds Dragonfable is third but its only barely below AQ Worlds then Mechquest then epicduel if you count it
    Post #: 41
    5/19/2010 16:53:57   
    Griffin the awesome

I honestly love MQ above all other games, because it's weapons are so awesome. Our giant mechas make swords and magic look like toothpicks and lighters. Anyway, I don't really care that not many people play MQ, it's there loss.

MQ  Post #: 42
    5/19/2010 18:37:55   
    forumlogin

@Korin
    I'm going to hold you to those words. ;)

@Krillin
    You haven't explored your SCness enough. :P
    You get 20 mecha, which, for me, is already mouth-watering.
    If in MR, you get the smokescreen, which would make the AMR OP if it weren't for the defaults. While RH and WB don't get nearly as much, RH at least becomes quite effective, putting their massive energy to good use.
    You get some crazy-powerful weps. If I could get the E1 arm, I would, that thing is so powerful.
    You get the SCMM, which personify game-breakers.
    You get Fire and Ice, which I would use if I were SC. ;_;
    There are also several SC-exclusive missions, including the very fun Galactimecha battle.

Admittedly, there's a lot that SCs could get, such as the long-overdue pilot and navigator spot on the starship, busing NSCs to planets, and other stuff like that, but otherwise, you get quite a bit. :P
    DF MQ  Post #: 43
    5/19/2010 20:32:40   
    Drakyloid
    LoidTastic!

Concerning the seasonal/rare events:

A solution to this could be to place a time machine-type thing (see DF, Time Travel Faerie Statue) to "rewind time" and complete the seasonal events for some rewards.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 44
    5/19/2010 21:22:23   
    CleverUserName

I'm just going to go out and say it right now, I prefer MQ over the other games *Forumites gasp*.... In some areas, that is.*Forumites calm down*
    The first thing that comes to mind with MQ's relatively low popularity is this: AE has a LOT of good games, the most popular being, of course, AQW and DF. This is because, 1: AQW is an MMO. It is really hard to make a bad MMO. "Killing monsters while chattin' with ma buddiez? 4W3S0M3!!!!(awesome), and 2: DF has quests that progress in a very linear fashion. This, along with the inherent humor and simplistic battle system, makes a very fun game. In fact, if it weren't for these games, I believe MQ would have a larger fanbase. Plus, AQW has more advertisements online. I saw one on Newgrounds, the other day. Do you know how many people visit Newgrounds a day? A LOT.

So, while I don't mean to insult DF(my character ID on there is actually #854), nor AQW, they are simpler, get more advertising, and are funnier. And people like simple and funny things.

< Message edited by CleverUserName -- 5/19/2010 21:23:47 >
    DF MQ  Post #: 45
    5/19/2010 21:34:52   
    Avantir

I used to play only DF and AQW, because I had quit MQ near it's Gmma release. Mainly because the mechas were so freakishly overpriced I couldn't get a new mecha at level 10. I tried to start again a few times but I was just too far behind and DF and AQW and Nitrome took up most of my free time on the computer, so I couldn't continue. Then AQW got the PTR, making it suck, so I quit. At the same time, I got Skullcrusher. This promoted me to play more. I decided to make the Dragonoid Saga guide, and found myself rushing to complete Westion. Then I went the full way, and beat Planet Zargon. Now I just need to do Knife and Spork Challenge 10, the Mysterious Emporium, The two Zargon side quests, from Queen Akana on on Necryptos and Mogloween.

You want us to sneak into the Cap and rescue him?

Yes.

Oh. You aren't joking. You're crazy!
    AQ MQ Epic  Post #: 46
    5/20/2010 1:44:02   
    Guardian Mode

I have to say Mechquest is my favorite AE game. The others are cool but i prefer sci-fi to fantasy.
    @Korin
    Out of curiosity Korin, can't you just scale down the holiday releases? I for one would much prerefer more permanent story than rare events. I think the game can use more permanent content; emphasis on story content.
    DF MQ AQW  Post #: 47
    5/20/2010 7:19:15   
    flame80010

quote:

I do like the idea of updating the look of the battle menu. I'll play with that idea.

If your going to i would suggest actualy updating the sound system (and things like battle effects and damage types looking different)

you guys have gameplay down, you need to work on the cosmetics!

Adding songs by Evil jim to Battles, then making the optin to turn sounds or music off would be awsome :3 (though this could be laggy D:)
    also just improving overall sounds (like slasing weapons making a Metal against metal sound or somthing like that instead of an explosion) im sure would not go to waste (since currently battle sound in this game is basicly 5 diffeent sounds in constant loops)

and as i said before... more stuff for 13-19 (possibly an entire planet devoted to it?) and complete rescaling/rebalance of 1-25 would be ALOT but would definantly make the game more fun
    MQ  Post #: 48
    5/20/2010 8:51:50   
    Diark

Hey guys i just got a great idea for an interface.You guys do remember the communication button on the moon right?.We can use that!.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 49
    5/20/2010 10:03:05   
    steel blade

@above: Excellent idea! Just wish that new combat skill menu will be changed as well! *crosses fingers*
    DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 50
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: MQ's Low Popularity
    Page 2 of 21«<12345>»
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition