Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 27 of 30«<2526272829>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/29/2010 19:47:48   
EinhanderX01

Any further off-topic discussion, arguments, or bragging about how far you've beaten a boss down will get a warning.

Same goes for responses to off-topic comments. ~Ein

Weapons R&D
Robotics R&D
Game R&D

Follow the rules, and I am harmless.
Violate them, and I am merciless.
Post #: 651
11/29/2010 19:49:42   
zeke50100
Constructive

@trasn205: Creating such a rating of power level is much, much more difficult in MQ. AQ has base stats for every piece of weapon and armor, and most specials do nothing more than additional damage. Everything in MQ comes with strings attached; it's not just damage and BTH. Things done in AQ that our outside the "normal" bounds are few in number, so a case-by-case evaluation of those things is plausible. It just doesn't work in MQ, though, since case-by-case for every item is essentially just guess-timating.

~Zeke~
MQ  Post #: 652
11/29/2010 20:01:30   
forumlogin

@stealth
Just a note, at the time of the Warbear's release, there were no weapons that boosted damage higher than 100%. ;)
300% damage on all weps was, indeed, very OP. In addition, the pirate's nerfing usually wasn't actually enough to get past the 300% damage, especially with the AI often skipping over those weps entirely.
As for the Aegis, at the time there were no non-rare weps that nerfed all the way down to -75 bonus and -60 boost, and hardly any real healing weps (especially when it came to non-rares). So, again, it was quite powerful (though partially kept in check by the higher EP cost).

@MQL
The StP never was, and likely never will be OP. :P
Even now, it's not much more than balanced, especially for NSCs.
The boost nerf is nice, but doesn't help against specials (which creates the majority of damage nowadays). For example, a Trog can easily fight past the boost nerf because DoTs aren't affected by boost.

@zeke
Balance is an unfortunately murky thing in MQ. :P
However, I think standards can be set by existing MQ equipment, no? Something to compare with.
DF MQ  Post #: 653
11/29/2010 20:05:11   
stealthwings
Helpful

Yes. But, they were just examples. There are more things like them. What mecha are considered OP right now?
DF MQ  Post #: 654
11/29/2010 20:10:41   
forumlogin

@stealth
Current mecha? Or are old mechs included? :P
Currently, there isn't really any overspecialization, so there aren't any OP mecha currently existing.

Also, whenever making balance comparisons, does it have to be compared to Necryptos? >_>
Just wondering, since Necryptos is, after all, an extremely challenging planet--being able to beat Necryptos should be considered extra evidence of OPness, not the only way something can be OP.
DF MQ  Post #: 655
11/29/2010 20:16:56   
stealthwings
Helpful

Old mecha included, as long as they are still considered OP.

And a build must be able to beat up to piotr to be OP.* Mecha, do not. However, if you are bragging about how OP a mecha is, and saying it is the most OP mecha ever created, and about how you PWNZ0RZ EVERYTHIGN WITH IT! and how it is "one of the most OP mechas EVER", then be prepared to beat necryptos.

*Unless one of those enemies has the builds one weakness, and you can prove that A) The build can kill anything without that one thing, and B) That that is the ONLY thing which it is weak to, and C) That not many enemies/mecha/weapons have that one thing.

< Message edited by stealthwings -- 11/29/2010 20:20:09 >
DF MQ  Post #: 656
11/29/2010 20:21:14   
forumlogin

@stealth
I'm preeeeeetty sure you saw the Eagle in action.
It is restricted in that its extreme power is limited to SCs, but it has indeed beaten Necryptos, even all defaults.

True the second part. XD
Took me a while to understand but then I applied context.
DF MQ  Post #: 657
11/29/2010 20:28:20   
EinhanderX01

It's more restricted by virtue of the fact that it's a Permanent, 1-Time Rare, which, like all SCMMs of the past, will not return; and if they do, it will be in a balanced, game-friendly form.
Post #: 658
11/29/2010 20:32:12   
forumlogin

@Ein
That's why I asked whether old mecha still applied first. :P

There are no recent mecha, IIRC, that were too powerful (though many seemed a little too weak).

BTW, I'm surprised none of you commented on the part where PD asserts that SC Monthlies aren't supposed to be OP. :P
I was expecting to get online today and have to respond to dozens of posts about that point.
DF MQ  Post #: 659
11/29/2010 20:36:57   
stealthwings
Helpful

I have never actually seen the eagle in action, only heard of what it has done.

Wasn't myracyrina buffed so that it couldn't beat her?

And I do not expect SCMM to be OP. I simply expect them to not be clones of each other. I was happy with the AC. A non-warbear clone, non-OP mecha.
DF MQ  Post #: 660
11/29/2010 20:37:26   
EinhanderX01

I'm biding my time...

And besides, it's a moot discussion, what with the current SCMMs having been relatively straightforward, bland, and useless due to Zero focus and Zero specialization (Skysplitter being the most offending to the Series). Sure they're still neat-looking, but otherwise, that's all they have going for them at this time.
Post #: 661
11/29/2010 20:39:59   
forumlogin

@stealthwings
Correct. At the time of release, Miracyna wasn't quite as powerful, according to speedy.
He did put up shots of beating all the other vamp lords with all defaults, though.

And, partially to Einhander too, true. XD
DF MQ  Post #: 662
11/29/2010 20:57:35   
stealthwings
Helpful

Exactly. Now, can it beat her?

Also, how reliable is the reflection, and does it need to hit? If it is guaranteed and not needing to hit, it is OP. If it isn't/needs to hit, it relies on the RNG/has a weakness, and is not OP.

Also, it won't reflect a killing blow, so lots of damage (myracyrina without shard) will kill it.
DF MQ  Post #: 663
11/29/2010 21:00:26   
forumlogin

@stealth
I kind of did just say a few posts earlier that being able to beat any part of Necryptos should be proof of extra OPness, not the only way something can be OP. :/
It does need to hit, but that's often not a problem--it does last for 5 turns. In addition, both hits have a chance of activating the special.

As for Miracyna, you do know that the Clown's the only non-VH that can beat it. XD
DF MQ  Post #: 664
11/29/2010 21:08:55   
stealthwings
Helpful

Yeah. But piotr and Akana do good damage as well, you can't just slaughter them easily, you actually have to think. I was lead to believe it walked all over everyone from just using the shoulder and pressing random buttons. And needing to hit makes it not OP. There are a lot of bonus nerfing/defense buffing enemies. It is quite a popular special for enemies. If you ever fight PvP, that will slaughter it, lots of zorbos. (Also, extreme is the standard difficulty in PvP, making it not a guaranteed win if it hits)

< Message edited by stealthwings -- 11/29/2010 21:10:11 >
DF MQ  Post #: 665
11/29/2010 21:26:16   
forumlogin

@stealth
The shoulders are best used on the first turn, and they usually are used on the first turn.
BtH nerfs won't help against them.

And again, being able to beat Necryptos with all defaults is indeed a sign of extreme power.
But that's getting off-topic now. >_>
DF MQ  Post #: 666
11/29/2010 21:32:48   
stealthwings
Helpful

Are they guaranteed? If it doesn't activate, and then your opponent nerfs you, you can't get it active, and you lose. Or if your opponent goes first and nerfs you.
DF MQ  Post #: 667
11/29/2010 21:34:33   
forumlogin

Zorbo still takes a turn to activate. :P

In any case, no, but it takes much less than 100 times to get it to activate--you'll likely need no more than 2 battles to activate it and get the ball rolling.
And, again,
quote:

being able to beat Necryptos with all defaults is indeed a sign of extreme power.
DF MQ  Post #: 668
11/29/2010 21:40:14   
Shards Superior

Remember: Ticklish Zorbo was available, what, 3 days?

I'm an addled-headed forumite. Can anyone define "overpowered" in clear, definitive terms?

Like this?:
quote:

And again, being able to beat Necryptos with all defaults is indeed a sign of extreme power.

And, remember, with slight luck and one special mod, so can V-Hunter.
No
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 669
11/29/2010 21:40:48   
forumlogin

@Shards
I left out the V-Hunter disclaimer because I'd already typed that 500 times or something. XD
DF MQ  Post #: 670
11/29/2010 21:50:44   
stealthwings
Helpful

But you will have to use it more than once. It is extreme mode. And then there is also the subzero gaze, the seppy, the shieldbash, and lots of others. None as well-used as the zorbo though.

And it can't beat all of necryptos, not since myracyrina got buffed.
DF MQ  Post #: 671
11/29/2010 22:01:06   
Shards Superior

@Forumlogin: Ah. Got it.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 672
11/29/2010 22:04:55   
icemaster 77

By the way, MQ should have dodge and hit speicals for weapons after they balanced the non rare to rare ratio.

And what is hit anyways, the know that bonus is the accuracy of the mech, but what is hit???
MQ AQW  Post #: 673
11/29/2010 22:39:27   
stealthwings
Helpful

We don't need them. They will come eventually.
DF MQ  Post #: 674
11/30/2010 19:45:05   
trans205

Really late reply:

quote:

@trasn205: Creating such a rating of power level is much, much more difficult in MQ. AQ has base stats for every piece of weapon and armor, and most specials do nothing more than additional damage. Everything in MQ comes with strings attached; it's not just damage and BTH. Things done in AQ that our outside the "normal" bounds are few in number, so a case-by-case evaluation of those things is plausible. It just doesn't work in MQ, though, since case-by-case for every item is essentially just guess-timating.

Believe me, the AQ formula is much (emphasis) more complex than the damage and BTH that you think. Examples: status conditions, item compression penalties, elemental boosts and penalties, the element wheel, resistance balances, standard SP costs...etc.

The point is, all that can't be much more "easier" to deal with than MQ's stats. It's basically a +- of stuff like hit chance, damage %, regen, crit...just assign a "point" to whichever stat is more important. For example, a negative hit chance on the enemy is worth two points, while a negative defense is worth one point. Even the people in Dragonfable's equipment comparison made it to work.

Even if the MQ stat system is like quantum physics, guess-timating is a better choice than all that chaos.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 675
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 27 of 30«<2526272829>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition