Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: AQ Quest Writing contest discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official AE Announcements and Contests!] >> Official Contests >> RE: AQ Quest Writing contest discussion
Page 4 of 13«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/26/2011 21:47:42   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Good idea. Theoretically, that's what this contest could bring alive again (with better necromancy)-- old content.

Question: Since when do Water Elves live in Lolosia? :P
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 76
1/26/2011 21:56:49   
Razen

Archmagus: I thought almost all of the water elves were dead, or the entire race was dead excluding Aquella? Also, they never lived in Lolosia to all of my knowledge.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 77
1/26/2011 22:07:12   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Exactly.

Since when is the entire race dead? They still live, under the ocean.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 78
1/26/2011 22:13:05   
Shirefolk

I went on a general assumption with the water elves, as I assumed that there must be more elves alive than just Aquella, and Lolosia is the largest costal city on Battleonia

@DeadlyPoisoN: I was trying to say that the local Guardians had no clues as to who the murderer was :P

Good plot and pace and etc. though?
AQ  Post #: 79
1/26/2011 23:32:09   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

In an effort to try and help out all of you writers, I have put my thoughts about how I approach quest writing and the format that I use. Hopefully this will be helpful. Here is where my thoughts are located.

Lord Barrius will be posting his own thoughts in a little bit.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 80
1/26/2011 23:48:36   
Chaos Mage Kaxaraim

Oh my... I knew that I should have waited next morning before posting. I learned my lesson not to post stories and such late in the morning of 3 am D: Tsk, tsk, tsk. I had to correct a lot of typos and edit some things. Ok maybe I may have missed something still but at least now it looks a little better. So yeah, I edited my entry. I think it's better now.

Oh man... there's still plenty of time for people to enter their ideas. I wonder what other sorts of adventures will flow in...

~ Ravenn
AQ DF  Post #: 81
1/27/2011 0:29:42   
Lord Barrius

I've offered some technical help here, to complement Eukara's writing advice. Now you have help in both of those aspects. I wish you all good luck!
Post #: 82
1/27/2011 0:46:12   
Deadly PoisoN
Banned!

I read both advise columns,from voxie and mr.kitty.I can honestly say that i stand 0 chance,but it was fun at least.My quest didn't evolve gameplay in aq since i never thought i actually could.If i tried something,it would probably be an uncodable feature.
AQ Epic  Post #: 83
1/27/2011 1:06:59   
jsrjohnny

Ah, don't be a pessimist. It was fun at least, right? Just gotta find your talent. Heck, they might even pick you as the winner! And you're allowed to change your story (I THINK! ASK A MOD!) so you can re-write it according to their guidelines! Don't give up. I've read some GREAT entries, makes me fear for my chances of winning. XD I look forward to tomorrow, when I can see what other things people will add.

All that aside, will our quests be used verbatim, or will you guys take the idea, give us Zs and credit, and flesh it out a little (if it needs it and it has merit)?

< Message edited by jsrjohnny -- 1/27/2011 1:08:51 >
Post #: 84
1/27/2011 1:55:47   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

@Deadly PoisoN
You are welcome to edit if you want to. Heck, you can delete it and start all over again if you want.

@jsrjohnny
The only thing that may be done is editing for typos, maybe some sentence structure or clarifying an idea. If anything major needs to be done, trust me when I say this. The writer will be notified and consulted. But, we will want to keep it as authentic and original as possible.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 85
1/27/2011 2:28:16   
HailFire

If the quest you feel needs editing but you wanted to use it, would you be allowed to add and make changes with consultation of the writer?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 86
1/27/2011 2:52:33   
jsrjohnny

^ Yeah, that's what Eukara just said. Plus it's their game anyway lol. ;)

quote:

The writer will be notified and consulted. But, we will want to keep it as authentic and original as possible.
Post #: 87
1/27/2011 4:34:09   
Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ Pedia / OOC / L&L

I don't know, I think the artists can create my quest without creating any new monsters. Unless you are planning to update her appearance. Zorbak's Secret Hideout seems valid too.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 88
1/27/2011 6:50:49   
Serpeants

Well looks like I'm going to edit again for the Scene Opening.

More coming out to my edit soon.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 89
1/27/2011 7:20:40   
ArchMagus Orodalf

@ElBhe & Euky: So I read your Quest-Writing Suggestions, I just have a question: Is my entry too copyright material-ish, or can it (theoretically) be used?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 90
1/27/2011 16:16:25   
Khimera

Since I'll likely be busy for the next month, I've submitted an older quest of mine, tweaked a little bit. Good luck to everybody who enters.
Post #: 91
1/27/2011 16:56:12   
Chaos Mage Kaxaraim

I edited again to add in the section for art requirements... doing this made me realize how much work it takes just to create a weekly release based on story, artwork, and coding things... My story suddenly seemed more extra work than I thought D: Ah ohh well... good luck to everyone and whoever wins really deserved it. I had fun for sure and now the only thing that I can do is wait (and read the other entries I guess).

~ Ravenn
AQ DF  Post #: 92
1/27/2011 17:02:47   
ArchMagus Orodalf

I added Conceptual and Artwork Notes along with a few other edits, but I'd still like my question answered...

EDITED AGAIN: I re-read my quest and found a horrible break in flow and the fact that I left Warlic hanging in the forest. Edited again... but now I fear that the quest is too long. >>

Also, I find it odd that people are submitting AQW quests...

EDITED AGAIN: WOW I spelled "Lagiss" incorrectly throughout the whole quest.

< Message edited by ArchMagus Orodalf -- 1/27/2011 18:16:45 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 93
1/27/2011 19:48:12   
Lord Barrius

We both offered our advice to help you, and also to help you realize just how much goes into our writing. It's a lot of work to create a good quest! Writing, art, coding. There's so much that goes into every weekly release, and perhaps that's a bit more clear when you look at just how tough the art of quest writing really is.

But don't let that discourage you. You have plenty of time to put your scripts together. Read it, reread it, pick and tear it apart and build it back up. The more you critique yourself and your work, the better your script is likely to be.

Archmagus: I think at the moment it's best for us not to comment on any individual entry, otherwise we'll have everyone asking about their own entries, and I don't think everyone's had time to read everyone's entries yet!

My own general rule of thumb when writing a quest is this, though: if something feels "questionable" enough that it might be considered copyrighted material, avoid using it. With something like copyrights, it's best to leave as wide of a berth as possible between what can be sued for and what we're putting into our game.
Post #: 94
1/27/2011 19:53:13   
ArchMagus Orodalf

But, ElBhe, I don't know where to draw the line between "parody" and "copyright infringement." Because there are things in-game that are ridiculously similar to copyrighted material-- DrakelCube P, for instance, is very obviously DragonBall Z with very similar character names (I mean, Gokar? :P). Another example is Kathool Atchoo, which is an allusion to the same material that my quest alludes to, but in a very obvious, mind-controlling/shattering way.

My own quest is less so-- it only makes two similar names plus a hint using dreams-- but I still feel a question...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 95
1/27/2011 19:57:13   
Khimera

Archmagus, I believe Lovecraft's work is public domain anyway. Not 100% sure though
Post #: 96
1/27/2011 19:57:53   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Oh. How long ago was that written...? I wonder. Perhaps I should've just outright asked ElBhe if it was. :P

EDIT: Okay, 1926. >>

< Message edited by ArchMagus Orodalf -- 1/27/2011 19:59:09 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 97
1/27/2011 20:53:29   
Razen

I think I will need to draw out the base idea for an Ickakein and their staves, so that the team does't deviate from what I had envisioned of them, despite my chances of winning, which is what 1/29 so far?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 98
1/27/2011 22:25:42   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Heh, in my spare time, I made Hez'ra! So ugly. :P http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3016/64171729.png
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 99
1/27/2011 22:30:59   
Chaos Mage Kaxaraim

@ ArchMagus Orodalf:

Ehhh she's not that ugly. Lol. But seriously. At least you have something as a reference D:

I could work on mine but it's probably gonna be slightly blurry due to the bad imaging of my camera...

Oh well. If I don't feel too lazy... haha. Anyway, good job though on making a reference picture.

~ Ravenn
AQ DF  Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Official AE Announcements and Contests!] >> Official Contests >> RE: AQ Quest Writing contest discussion
Page 4 of 13«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition