Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: The Official Quotes Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: The Official Quotes Thread
Page 3 of 10«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/16/2011 1:49:39   
nield
Creative!

quote:

Bravery is not the lack of fear. It is taking action, even though you are afraid
~Don't know where this came from originally.
quote:

Yours is the gift.
~Unknown
quote:

To know the darkness is to love the light,
to welcome dawn and fear the coming night.
~The Book of Counted Sorrows
quote:

Hope is the destination that we seek.
Love is the road that leads to hope.
Courage is the motor that drives us.
We travel out of darkness into faith.
quote:

In the real world
as in dreams
nothing is quite
what it seems.
quote:

Whiskers of the cat,
webbed toes on my swimming dog:
God is in the details.
~The Book of Counted Sorrows.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 51
4/18/2011 19:39:16   
liamliam1234liam

Yes. Finally, I can make a new post. I am little annoyed I forgot several quotations, but c'est la vie.

Before I start, I want to reply to one of the posts on the last page.
quote:

whoever said a pen was stronger than a sword never encountered automatic weapons

Or maybe he has.

Anyway, onto the quotations:

quote:

Conservatives say if you do not give the rich more money they will lose their incentive to invest; as for the poor, they tell us they have lost all incentive because we have given them too much money.
George Carlin

quote:

You are not entitled to your opinion; you are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
Harlan Ellison

quote:

People who practise freedom of expression are terrorising our grammatical way of life.
Bauvard

quote:

Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason.
Richard Trench

^This quotation is my all-time favourite; it speaks to me on multiple levels.

quote:

Genius is rarity, not mastery.
L'Orange

quote:

All we ever see of stars are their old photographs.
Jon Osterman

The above quotation is not a profound observation by any means; however, it is so wonderfully poetic I cannot bear to remove it.

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 11/1/2017 1:55:22 >
DF  Post #: 52
4/18/2011 22:21:58   
Brownie

Quotes pop up everywhere now, it seems.

"C'est La Vie."
- French Saying.

"You see what you see, whereas I paint what I see and I only see what's really there, see?"
-The Picture Imp from Terry Pratchett's Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

"I was Just looking. With fire...And lightning...And reanimated chipmunks! And Racoons. On fire..."
-Richard from Looking for Group.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 53
4/19/2011 1:08:26   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

Well, I figured I'd post another batch of anime related quotes that I've gathered on my own (i.e. not from a chart, but just while watching saying "That's a good quote" and writing it down). These are more on the lighter side than my previous quotes. I even had the courtesy of saying in what anime these quotes are said.

quote:

“I always believe myself to be acting within reasonable boundaries of sanity.”

~Itsuki Koizumi, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
quote:

“This world is full of things that defy all common sense”

~Kyousuke Kosuka, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute
quote:

“For us, women exist on the opposite shore. There’s a river wider and deeper than the ocean between men and women.”

~Ryoji Kaji, Neon Genesis Evangelion
quote:

“Things between man and woman are difficult to understand, because they’re not logical.”

~Ritsuko Akagi, Neon Genesis Evangelion
quote:

“No rice, no life.”

~Yui Hirasawa, K-on
quote:

“Call me what you will, but I’m taking your cake.”

~L, Death Note
AQ AQW  Post #: 54
4/19/2011 3:10:35   
Stray Cat
The kitty
without a name

Anime quotes it is, Exy! I've got a few quotes, some of them a bit pessimistic, but I think they're pretty relevant to life.

quote:

"...Are meals fun? ...Do you enjoy eating with others? ...Does it make you happy to have food cooked for you?
~Rei Ayanami, Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance
quote:

"Without a flame to burn it, the wood will never release its true scent."
~The Medicine Seller, Mononoke
quote:

"You really do need money, don't you? Money, am I right? Why not just work a little harder? Do it right, and you can have anything you want."
~Masakaki, [C]: Control: The Money and Soul of Possibility
quote:

"...And on their deathbeds, they will finally realise. The life they lived was the real thing. People don't live provisional lives, nor do they die provisional deaths."
~Tonegawa, Kaiji
quote:

Is showing goodwill towards others really that scary? Are you afraid of messing up and being unable to fix it? No matter how painful, there's no choice but to repay them by as much as possible.
~Aiho Yomikawa, A Certain Magical Index II
quote:

"...The world isn't as bad as you think"
~Celty Sturluson, Durarara!!

< Message edited by Stray Cat -- 4/19/2011 3:11:14 >
Post #: 55
4/19/2011 9:04:30   
No Brainer
Banned

I have one favorite quote...

quote:

Technically...

~Jack Sparrow

That's my favorite.

< Message edited by ChronoBow -- 4/19/2011 9:05:32 >
Post #: 56
4/20/2011 20:29:53   
liamliam1234liam

quote:

Language forces us to perceive the world as man presents it to us.
Julia Penelope

quote:

All human knowledge takes the form of interpretation.
Walter Benjamin

quote:

Memory can change the shape of a room, it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They are just an interpretation, they are not a record, and they are irrelevant if you have the facts.
Leonard Shelby

quote:

Reality is a story the mind tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic firings. A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence. And our minds can lie. Never doubt it.
Doug Rattmann

quote:

What if the worst is true? What if there is no God, and you only go around once, and that is it? Well, you know, do you not want to be part of the experience? What the hell, it is not all a drag. And I am thinking to myself, jeez, I should stop ruining my life searching for answers I am never going to get and just enjoy it while it lasts.
Woody Allen

quote:

We all experience many freakish and unexpected events; you have to be open to suffering a little. The philosopher Schopenhauer talked about how out of the randomness, there is an apparent intention in the fate of an individual that can be glimpsed later on. When you are an old guy, you can look back, and maybe this rambling life has some through-line. Others can see it better sometimes, but when you glimpse it yourself, you see it more clearly than anyone.
Viggo Mortensen

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 2/20/2019 16:26:50 >
DF  Post #: 57
4/21/2011 15:08:12   
BladeSlayer

quote:

If god did exist, it would not be necessary to invent him.

-Voltaire
DF  Post #: 58
4/24/2011 21:47:13   
Wildroses
A beautiful Rose,
always and forever

quote:

Is there any way to reduce this New Age, tree-hugging, hippy crap?

-What James Cameron claims a Fox Executive said when Avatar was first pitched.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 59
4/24/2011 22:47:52   
Sir Nicholas

Blade - that's actually incorrect. Voltaire said, "If God were not real, men would find it necessary to invent Him."

quote:

"I come from a long line of big-eaters. When I was 9 years old - I entered into a Watermelon eating contest, and beat everyone who entered - adults included, and still had room for more! Just yesterday, I devoured 3 slices of ham, 4 chunks of lamb-meat, 2 sweet rolls, and a meager handful of rice, sliced potatoes and had a piece of Apple pie for desert!"
Me - on my eating habits. (True story. Today, my family gathered for an Easter dinner and we consumed a feast)

Man's gotta' eat. Justified because I'm an extremely fit, young man who exercises daily.

quote:

"Being correct does not excuse a violation of form."
Dr. Donald Mallard, NCIS.

quote:

Alexander (Dog): *Panting happily, having just glomped Edward Elric a second time*
Ed: You've bested me twice Dog, but playtime is over! (Turns huge with his eyes pupiless and angry) I WILL NOT LOSE THIS TIME, I EDWARD ELRIC WILL USE MY CONSIDERABLE POWERS TO VANQUISH YOU!!! You mangy mutt!!!
FullMetal Alchemist, Brotherhood.

quote:

"GOOOD MORNNINGGG ICHIGOOOO!!!!"
Isshin Kurosaki, Bleach.

quote:

"Attention. As you're all no doubt aware, I am in complete control of the Principal Office. You're probably looking forward to one of my erudite speeches about me, the new Viral Dawn, Megaframe, etc. etc. - but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you. There is no grand scheme here. This is about revenge. Viruses are predatory by design - and it is time for me to follow my function. Prepare yourselves...for the hunt!"
Megabyte, Reboot.

< Message edited by Sir Nicholas -- 4/25/2011 3:34:10 >
AQ  Post #: 60
4/25/2011 2:48:49   
BladeSlayer

quote:

Blade - that's actually incorrect. Voltaire said, "If God were not real, men would find it necessary to invent Him."

Ah, I probably mistranslated it. In my defense, my french is about as good as Google Translate's. Still a great quote though.
DF  Post #: 61
4/25/2011 22:17:27   
idkaname

Note:I don't know where most of these come from.

quote:

Fortune favors the Bold

quote:

Greatness from Humble beginnings-Sir Francis Drake

quote:

Teamwork is essential,it allows you to blame someone else.

quote:

No,I don't sit in my living room watching TV all day,I also have a TV in my bedroom.-various

Please refrain from using inappropriate language, even when self-censored. For more information see:
=AE= Comprehensive Forum Rules > Posting Behavior. ~Stray

< Message edited by Stray Cat -- 4/25/2011 22:41:40 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 62
4/25/2011 23:23:21   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

Well, since Puella Magi Madoka Magica just ended I may as well post all the quotes I collected from that series. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I found them interesting enough to share.

Spoiler tags are for quotes that come from the final episode. Out of context I don't think they spoil anything.

quote:

Unfortunately, it doesn’t always end happily if you do the right thing. Actually, the more everyone tries to do what they think is right, the less happiness there is.

~Junko Kaname
quote:

With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. Those who don't understand this are not fit to be magical girls.

~Homura Akemi
quote:

No one believes in the future. No one can accept the future.

~Homura Akemi
quote:

If someone tells me it is wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time. I could tell them that countless times!

spoiler:

~Madoka Kaname

quote:

Don’t forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. – As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

spoiler:

Eyecatch at the end of episode 12

quote:

You won’t curse anyone! You won’t torment anyone! I’ll take all the misfortune! So please, believe in yourselves to the very end!

spoiler:

~Madoka Kaname

AQ AQW  Post #: 63
4/26/2011 4:04:36   
Corvus Corax
♥ Senpai ♥

I heard this one tacked on to the end of the silliest episode of Criminal Minds I've ever seen. I don't know anything about the person who said it, but it rung true with me.

quote:

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.

~Albert Pike
AQ AQW  Post #: 64
4/26/2011 9:26:54   
  toidiedud

quote:

"I don't have anything to do.
"Why don't you go clean your room?"
"I was bragging."

Calvin and Hobbes
AQ DF  Post #: 65
4/27/2011 6:52:46   
nield
Creative!

quote:

What's in a name?
This should require no explanation as to where it came from.
quote:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
I don't know who said it, but it's an awesome quote.
quote:

Come, shade, unto me. Then oppose your birthright and point me the way forth.
This one is another of mine.
quote:

Bring forth the plague and strike dead our enemies in a scourge. Too bad this is impossible. For now we'll have to make do with swords and bows.
No idea. But I found it hilarious.
quote:

We few, we happy few. We Band of Brothers.
The St. Crispin's day speech from the play Henry V by Shakespeare.
quote:

In the end we all have one master, one whom we cannot disobey, one who will always eventually triumph over us. I don't think I even have to name him.
Another random quote by myself.

< Message edited by nield -- 4/29/2011 12:07:32 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 66
4/28/2011 7:41:19   
Tribal_bob

quote:

Even though a smile may be fake, it still shows something.

~Me
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 67
5/1/2011 1:21:45   
Trash Talker
Banned

quote:

It's not the feeling of your love, it's the feeling of what is actually inside you that makes you special to you and to others. Like your heart, for instance.

Done by my mother when she was doing school training. She had to write this for a story, very beautiful indeed :)
Post #: 68
5/5/2011 20:30:28   
04intel

Um i'v got some so i'm just going to quote some funny/awsome thing i heard somewhere...

quote:

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners they're pretty bad. I grieve over them in the long winter evenings"

- Phillip Marlowe
No clue how he is but thats awsome in my opinon.

quote:

"Our Hearts cry for vengeance, Our souls thirst for blood."

- Comment on a killzone intro vidow on youtube
Thats just badass all i need to say.

quote:

"I want to know gods thoughs... the rest are details."

- Albert Einstein

quote:

"I haven't falied, i've found 10,000 ways that dont work."

- Thomas Edison

quote:

"After a thousand battles, one only sees death."

- Dawn of War

Thats all the new quotes i'v come across i'll add more as i come across them.

< Message edited by 04intel -- 2/12/2012 10:48:25 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 69
5/5/2011 21:16:12   
Reaper Sigma

Some quotes from Terry Goodkind:

quote:

Life is the future, not the past

quote:

People will believe anything, even a lie, because they want to believe it, or they are afraid it is true.

quote:

People are stupid.
Post #: 70
5/6/2011 3:00:31   
Wildroses
A beautiful Rose,
always and forever

Some quotes from Ashleigh Brilliant:

quote:

If I had better tools, I could more effectively demonstrate my total incompetence.

Basically my relationship with computers and technology.

quote:

Surely I deserve some recognition for all the bad things I haven't done!

quote:

I have abandoned my search for the truth and am now looking for a good fantasy.

quote:

By just doing a little everyday, I can gradually let the task completely overwhelm me.

My group members and I learnt the truth of this the hard way on our project.

quote:

What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

Well don't we all?

< Message edited by Wildroses -- 5/6/2011 3:01:01 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 71
5/7/2011 15:14:21   
rjgwapo

quote:

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift,
That's why it's called 'present'

I've heard something similar in Kung Fu Panda.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 72
5/7/2011 18:04:49   
CommanderHawke

quote:

' Amelia: Are you okay? The Doctor: Just had a fall, all the way down there right to the library. Hell of a climb back up. Amelia: You're soaking wet. The Doctor: I was in the swimming pool. Amelia: You said you were in the library. The Doctor: So was the swimming pool
The Eleventh Hour...

quote:

The Doctor: Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
Angel Bob: And what would that be, sir?
The Doctor: Me.
Best Doctor Who Quote. Ever.

quote:

AND ONE WHACKING GREAT KICK UP THE BACKSIDE FOR THE SILENCE! 'The Doctor, Day of the moon'
Funniest Doctor who quote .Ever.

quote:

'All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?'
Eleventh Doctor, Most Phlisoliphocial Quote ive heard in doctor who.

*Yes Eleven has the Best quotes :D

< Message edited by Jacob5 -- 5/7/2011 18:06:12 >
DF AQW  Post #: 73
5/8/2011 19:04:26   
liamliam1234liam

This has been bothering for a while:
quote:

quote:

If god did exist, it would not be necessary to invent him.

Nope. The proper quotation is, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
Nicholas, for future reference, make sure your corrections are actually accurate, especially if they do not even reflect the intended meaning ("it would be necessary" and "men would find it necessary" convey two radically different concepts). If a simple Google search can prove you wrong, you might want to rethink the use of your pedantry.

Anyway, time for some actual quotations.

quote:

And because, in all the Galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere. They became farmers in the fields of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped.
Sir Arthur Charles Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey)

quote:

We are all machines; it is merely a matter of degree. Whether we are based on carbon or on silicon makes no fundamental difference.
Doctor Sivasubramanian Chandrasegarampillai

quote:

Everyone has their own point of view; mine just happens to look over the gorgeous landscape of me being right.
quote:

If this is going to be a Christian nation that does not help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we have to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just do not want to do it.
Stephen Colbert

quote:

There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people.
quote:

People wonder why the novel is the most popular form of literature; people wonder why it is read more than books of science or books of metaphysics. The reason is very simple: it is merely that the novel is more true than they are.
Gilbert Keith Chesterton

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 6/19/2019 0:46:07 >
DF  Post #: 74
5/10/2011 11:56:34   
Kidatrea

"Come at once if convenient — if inconvenient come all the same."
-Sherlock Holmes

"Imbeciles... You would knowingly shackle your heart with a chain of memories born of lies? You would be one who has a heart yet cast aside your heart's freedom? You turn from the truth because your heart is weak!"
-Marluxia

"I can't... just look inside. But I figure...if there is something in there—inside us—then we'd feel it, wouldn't we?"
-Roxas

"The first thing they're going to ask us when we get back to school is 'what did we do over summer?'. I mean, no school for three months? Our lives should be a roller coaster!"
-Phineas Flynn

DF MQ  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: The Official Quotes Thread
Page 3 of 10«<12345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition