Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=MQ= Preservation of dedicated players.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> =MQ= Preservation of dedicated players.
Page 1 of 512345>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/16/2011 10:30:38   
TostiTostelli

Hey all.
Just something i've been thinking about.
Personally I've become bored with MQ, and I do suspect allot of players with me.
Reaching the max lvl, is waaaaaay behind me, and I've simply ran out of things to do long ago.
I am concerned, that people will quit, including myself.
Why? Because there's not much else to do then to think up another pvp build, and bragg about how good it is.

Now, the past few releases, for example the Gameshow Planet, have been entertaining me greatly.
Certainly a step in the good direction!
Now think about it. How long did that release take to produce? Way to long, to be a viable weekly release.

There have been posts about a major overhaul, and correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought it is being planned?
A major revamp of MQ would most certainly entertain, and keep ''old'' players.

I do think this is well worth putting effort into, because the ''longer playing people'', do invest in MQ, in a number of ways.

Post your ideas for the overhaul, and discuss

PS. Yes I know that MQ is horribly understaffed.

Mae likes, so made official. :)

< Message edited by Gibby -- 6/16/2011 21:58:06 >

Bishop, strong like Bull!!!
AQ MQ  Post #: 1
6/16/2011 11:22:07   
Zanzibaarus

I'm just bringing this certain discussion over into this one:

Returning the old SCMMs can be a small start, sure they'll have to balance most (if not all) of them, but that takes less work than designing, coding and animating a completely new one.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
6/16/2011 13:40:18   
CHAIML

I've been here from the beginning and I haven't been fully satisfied recently until the Gameshow planet release. However, as you mentioned, it took way too long to release it. But, it was worth the wait. I also invest regularly in the form of purchases of NGs.
AQ MQ  Post #: 3
6/16/2011 14:10:31   
BumFoolingGuy

How about a B-A-M/Continuation weaponry player Effect update list? That which automatically puts in new effects on old weapons from new weapons in a way, and etc?

NO chances of balancing it out, A pure discussion of what effects seems perfectly fine to get those old weapon updated later on?

So if a example is allow:Pirate's Anchor(stand alone version) has one effect, that's critical damage right? So what else seems to fit in as special effects

< Message edited by BumFoolingGuy -- 6/16/2011 14:18:09 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
6/16/2011 14:53:28   
stealthwings
Helpful

I used to be a dedicated player, but I no longer am.

I would say more challenges. That was what I kept playing for.
DF MQ  Post #: 5
6/16/2011 15:08:11   
Zanzibaarus

I would probably enjoy the return of the Lagos War Reward Mechas, though they're no longer accessible and therefore perma-rare. I bought Mechas from both sides when the made a typo in the prices, they were 20-50k credits when they were supposed to be 200k credits or something. XD
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
6/16/2011 16:28:16   
NaturallyMaria
Ebil Empress

Anyone ever watch a TV show that has a great run, but doesn't have an ending? I just finished the whole series Las Vegas, only to find out that the last episode is a cliffhanger. ARE YOU KIDDING? I GOT ALL INTO THE SHOW, THEN THIS HAPPENS? UGH!!! I'd gladly pay ten bucks for just one more episode! Which of course, that brings me to some thoughts on Mechquest...

Long post incoming... which should surprise no one.

It seems like this exact same topic comes up at least once a month. Every time, people seem to want the same things: more quests, more permanent content, more storyline advancement, etc. Every time, it boils down to the same thing: more content, and more staff to produce that content. But the question always remains- why put more staff onto a project that doesn't draw revenue?

Rather than looking at MQ as an endless game akin to an MMO, I think it makes more sense to look at it as a single-player RPG that delivers a finite amount of enjoyment for the money you put into it. Think of it this way- for a typical console RPG, you pay $50 for about 20 hours of main-game content, and maybe 5-10 hours of post-game bonus content if you're lucky. With MQ, it costs $20 to get about 20 hours of main-game content, and a slow-but-never-ending stream of post-game bonus content. From a business standpoint, Artix has already provided me with a fair quantity of product for my money, so their business with me is done. Anything beyond that isn't earning them profit, and their resources could be better spent on other customers.

So rather than asking what kind of free content the MQ staff can keep providing for us, I think the better question is what kind of new content we would be willing to buy. New mechs alone aren't enough; I already have a Primo Jameson collecting dust in my hangar, because there's no content that really warrants using it. New weapons aren't much better either, since we've already beaten all the bosses.

One potential selling point I see is to promise actual story progress. The endless soap opera format might work for an MMO, since story isn't key to enjoying those games. For a finite RPG like MQ though (and for tv shows, grumble grumble), people want to see actual ENDINGS. It's hard to grow attached to the MQ story because you never know what to expect or when to expect it. Most people won't follow a story blindly for a year without knowing what came before or when to expect the next part. However, if I knew that a particular story arc was going to contain exactly 5 installments spaced 3 months apart, you can bet that I'd be a regular player for at least the one year it takes to finish that one story.

For example, someone who joined this year would know that we had to rescue Xaria, but they'd have no idea how she was captured or why she's important, and probably won't stick around to see if/when she gets cured. But if she was captured in January, confirmed alive and almost rescued in April, led the war against Lagos in July, actually rescued in October, and cured the following January, you can bet I'd be hooked to MQ for that entire year, regardless of my level. I'd also probably be more willing to buy the related NG rares in the process, since I actually care about the story. And of course, the concurrent storyline that starts in June would keep me playing after the Xaria story reached its ending.

The other big selling point I see is high-level bonus missions. As of now, the staff is already creating the SC Extreme challenge series for long-time players. I'd guess that after Necryptos-X A-D are finished, by then we'll have enough wormhole missions to start a new section of Wormhole-X challenges. All that is fantastic, but I don't think it's enough to motivate people to buy new NG mechs. I know this might not be a popular decision, but I think it might be worth trying to push a pay-per-mission model, akin to DLC packs in modern games. A small cost, like 1000 NG, for a dungeon of overpowered enemies and a credit shop with a good reward (ie those SCMM re-releases people have been clamoring for). That way we're not only paying a fair price for new content, we also have incentive to actually buy top-level weapons and mechs.

And erm, now I'm headed out to do some shopping for the day. I'll probably edit this later. >_>
MQ  Post #: 7
6/16/2011 18:07:38   
Maegwyn

There is a lot of interesting material already in this thread.
Post #: 8
6/17/2011 1:13:37   
Zanzibaarus

Interesting...

I happen to say that one word a lot, kind of like with Mysterious Jackson and the word "Mysterious!".
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
6/17/2011 1:40:35   
Mechbuster1

@NaturallyMaria
Do you work for AE now? I don't watch pay per view and I would not pay per mission. That would kill the game unless it was a side mission and did not interfere with the story line. The Traveler almost fits this model now. His only purpose is to sell items and encourage upgrade to sc with and all sc quest arc. Regular instead of sporadic content has always been a good idea called for by most players.
DF MQ  Post #: 10
6/17/2011 2:05:42   
NaturallyMaria
Ebil Empress

@Mechbuster1
Well yeah, paying for individual storyline missions would kill the spirit of the game. That's why I'm only suggesting the idea for bonus missions, made specifically for level 40+ Star Captains with nothing else to do in the game. If I had to guess, I'd think that they're the biggest untapped resource in MQ's playerbase. Well, that and the general lack of ads.

The Traveler and SCMMs do a good enough job of convincing NSCs to upgrade, I suppose, but there's not much incentive for Star Captains to buy anything beyond that. SC mechs/weapons are already good enough to beat all the challenges out there, so why buy NG versions? The way I see it, if we want more exclusive high-level content, the developers need some incentive to give us more. You know, besides generosity and general awesomeness.
MQ  Post #: 11
6/17/2011 2:22:52   
iPink

I basically quit because of a combination of both this and NG-item prices. I agree that the Gameshow Planet was an amazing step forward. And I agree that it took far too long to appear. As far as I know, it was the only permanent content in months.

Moving on: Give MQ monthly releases. Weekly releases are clearly too difficult to handle, and they don't mean anything anyways. A monthly release system like Warpforce has entertained would allow the team time to release both the main release for the month (as that is the current model) as well as the side things all in one release. MQ simply can't hold on to the weekly release schedule anymore. This is the next logical step.

The step after that is more of an enigma. Without the knowledge of what this major revamp will entail, I can't say what I think of it or what it could possibly do. Knowing nothing about the overhaul, I think that a re-branding of MQ and a new presentation as a new game could quite possibly help out. Giving it the current HeroSmash treatment could not hurt: advertise MQ in a new fashion on the main page of all the other AE games, with some new art and maybe a new name (I'm rather fond of NovaQuest), and you'll gain a variety of new players that had previously not been aware of the game. Engage in a new event type of thing (you could utilize the Upholder system from AQW for one month after the re-branding), and there's a huge market right there. Just the other day in AQW, another player asked me what Dragonfable was. Players of the other AE games often don't even know that there's more than just their own game; there's no lack of players without any awareness of MQ. As a campaign, it would also have to cater to the old players who had quit. A presentation as a new game to some players and simply an improved game to others might be difficult, but there's no shortage of creativity at AE. I see this as one of the only ways to truly restore a shrinking player base. I want MQ to be successful again.

On the topic of pay-per-mission: This might work at some level, but when MQ advertises itself as a free game, it could only extend to superfluous extra missions. I agree with Mechbuster: implemented on main storyline features, it would be the final blow to kill MQ. And we don't want to kill it; we want to resurrect it. ;_;

< Message edited by iPink -- 6/17/2011 10:07:51 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
6/17/2011 2:35:12   
Gibby

I'm going to post a gentle warning here that no one here is going to disrespect or make wisecracks about another person's opinion. Just because YOU wouldn't spend money on something, doesn't give you any leeway to retort someone else's desire to do so. This thread has the potential to do some good for the game. Let's not undermine that by being rude to each other.
~Gibby

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 13
6/17/2011 3:04:34   
iPink

I don't think that anyone has been rude. It's been a rather polite, if incomplete, discussion to this point. I've seen no disrespect. But I guess the warning is to keep it that way. :)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
6/17/2011 6:04:18   
TostiTostelli

quote:

Rather than looking at MQ as an endless game akin to an MMO, I think it makes more sense to look at it as a single-player RPG that delivers a finite amount of enjoyment for the money you put into it.

Totally agree with that, but the point is, IMO, and several others, MQ just doesnt satisfy that solo gaming expierence any more.

I do want to stress, that this thread is about keeping those people with either maxed characters or founders or SC that have at least finished every quest there is to do. In short, people that know every nook and cranny of MQ.

I really like some of the posts here, suggesting to bring back old content, should be a light load on the staff, but still something ''new'' to release.
AQ MQ  Post #: 15
6/17/2011 10:58:43   
99th Dracopyre

A Battlefield Area.

It's like a permanent War area against the Shs. It does not have any connection to the storyline, it's just a war area, where you gotta defend against the Shs. When left behind, it will have some consequences on Soluna(Or the invaded planet), like MAJOR increase in Weapon/Mech prices (Due to the lack of resources). It has GREAT rewards (But these rewards should be hard to get, like Miltonius' items in AQW), and it should be updated atleast once a month(Add a new quest, add some content or something).

This is no basic Battlefields, it should sponsor "actual" war-tactics (Such as Aerial-raids, Frontline Battler, Starship Shoot 'em up, etc.) And if the Staff has time, they could release (at random and limited times) a "boss" monster that drops "Rare Material" that are required to gain those "Great Rewards" that I mentioned earlier.

Lets face it, MQ is really passive on 6 out of 7 days of the week. This idea could give us a feeling that we are still actually at WAR with the Shs.

It could seem like a chore at some point, but there will be a consequence if we fail to defend Soluna.

~D99
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
6/17/2011 11:04:39   
THIS_IS_SPARTA

quote:

It has GREAT rewards (But these rewards should be hard to get, like Miltonius' items in AQW),

MQ isn't AQW, I don't think there are many people here that would be willing to grind for months for a mecha..

quote:

Moving on: Give MQ monthly releases. Weekly releases are clearly too difficult to handle, and they don't mean anything anyways.

AM I the only one that find this kind of sad? I mean, MQ is an AE game, and it SHOULD be releasing decent weekly releases like EVERY other AE game except WarpForce.. But it isn't. I agree with you tough, the releases should be made monthly or maybe every 2 weeks.
AQ MQ AQW  Post #: 17
6/17/2011 11:51:11   
Zanzibaarus

I would agree with two weeks, since a month is really long (to me). As long as there is a decent release for each of those two weeks I would stay.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
6/17/2011 13:19:41   
TostiTostelli

quote:

A Battlefield Area.

Explained well!
I believe this is a epic idea!
AQ MQ  Post #: 19
6/17/2011 16:16:58   
megakyle777

I know there is one reason I no longer invest money into MQ. No cards in the UK prices of NG Mecha and Items are too high.
DF  Post #: 20
6/17/2011 17:04:30   
Thiefboy109
Legendary AK!!!

The Battlefield is something I want to see.
First of all, it would fill the gap between daily releases, and give me something to do when not credit grinding.
It should really provide some of those powerful items that new players would need to do harder things such as the Necryptos X, where if you don't have any rares you can't finish it.
It would work where you could fight for valor badges, which you could trade for weapons and mechs.
Rarely, you would find a boss monster that would give you special items you could trade for items, and also could have a really LOW chance of dropping a very powerful item.

Also like Naturally Maria's idea about paying for overpowered stuff. Maybe a new release like that once a month?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
6/17/2011 17:08:13   
Zanzibaarus

I guess the Battlefield would be a good idea, as long as we don't do anything similar to AQW and Miltonius.

To me, AQW was a step in the wrong direction. I was okay with all of the single-player games such as MQ/DF/AQ. AQW just wasn't right since now that people can interact with each other, most of the interaction isn't what you would call good.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
6/17/2011 20:05:08   
Dicer

One thing that seems to have helped the other games (from my experiences with other players) is cross-game content. It's a big way to promote the less well-known games, too.

Bonus content (like Maria suggested) is good, and the first thing that comes to mind for me is the Dragonguard. But, once again, cross-game content helps promotion.

The only other thing I can say is: revamp the war system. It worked for DragonFable, and AQWorlds saw some benefit from it as well. DragonFable has done it best, though, and in any of the AE games the number of players shoots up when there's a war going on. Revamp the system, add merge rewards, etc., and you'll automatically have more players... well, playing.

I made a suggestion thread for it about a week and a half ago, located here.
I'd appreciate critiques of it as well, or other ideas of the sort, since I think it's the best all-around solution for MQ. You can do so many things with the wars that it's insane, but most of those options are untapped in MQ as of yet.
~Dicer

P.S.- If you read my War suggestions, it's a great system to work with the Battlefield idea. The Battlefield idea is good, it just needs structure.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 23
6/17/2011 23:34:04   
Mechbuster1

I like the battlefield idea. Also the level cap can be raised to 50, time marches on.
DF MQ  Post #: 24
6/18/2011 0:22:20   
Zanzibaarus

Eventually we'll have to get to the 100 level cap, then mechs that scale to that such as Seppy Ultimate and Skullcrusher Ultimate will be unstoppable! >:)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> =MQ= Preservation of dedicated players.
Page 1 of 512345>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition