Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=AQ= "The Looming Shadows!" Contest Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official AE Announcements and Contests!] >> Official Contests >> =AQ= "The Looming Shadows!" Contest Discussion
Page 1 of 1112345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/6/2011 20:03:50   
  Lord Barrius
Thinking Happy Thoughts

Check out the contest Design Notes post here!

Post your contest entry here!

Please keep discussion all about the contest. You're welcome to discuss each other's entries and whatnot, just keep the focus on the contest itself. You're welcome to discuss the future release in the AQGD if you'd like and speculate there, but this thread must focus entirely on the contest.

Locked =Mae

< Message edited by Maegwyn -- 1/24/2012 20:10:48 >
Post #: 1
11/6/2011 21:10:51   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Hoho. Thank you, Lord Barrius, for giving the AQ playerbase another chance to get suggested content in-game!

EDIT: One question. For the monster: How srs do you want it? As in, are you looking for "Legendary Eldritch ShadowMonster of the Ante-First Age" or "Shadow Pwnzy"?

< Message edited by ArchMagus Orodalf -- 11/6/2011 21:17:41 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
11/6/2011 21:52:47   
  Lord Barrius
Thinking Happy Thoughts

No preference. I'd be fine with either.
Post #: 3
11/6/2011 21:53:26   
ArchMagus Orodalf

All right. Thanks!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
11/6/2011 21:56:58   
Aura Knight

Here is my entry for a monster. Seems too overpowered, but I'm sure the staff can fix that.

This monster is a cloaked figure that is floating in midair with a long black robe which pulsates with shadows. There are creatures of shadow at its feet and shadow bats are encircling its hood. The hood itself is pure black and all that can be seen are two snakelike eyes which are colored red. The monster is in a cross-legged position similar to that of kindred armor. The monster attacks with creatures of shadow and can summon any shadow creature it wants. He is immune to all light and darkness attacks. The color scheme of his cloak is the same as that of the mysterious stranger's cloak in dragonfable. Only his cloak has a darker shade of those colors. He has many different attacks and each one has a special power. One of his attacks is using two shadow wolves to attack. He extends his arm and two shadow wolves pounce at you. The attack animations of those wolves are the same as the shadow wolf monster. This attack deals darkness damage. His second attacks is a shadow dragon's claw scratching you and causing you to be stunned. Chance of stunning is 30%. His third attack is a dragon which appears from his chest as his cloak opens up. This attack deals you massive darkness damage and can leave you experiencing fear. It can give you a 25% chance to not act. The fear lasts for 5 turns. The dragon that appears has the same appearance as that of Nith the Shadowdragon. The attack is the same as the breath attack of Nith. The cloaked figure has three darkness orbs floating around him. One is over his head and the other two are at his sides. He also has a shield which materializes whenever he blocks an attack. The shield is an ironthorn that is engulfed by shadows. As soon as it appears, his next attack gains more power at the cost of his bth being lowered. The shield does the same thing for the monster as it would do for players. But the effect only lasts for one turn after a blocked attack. The cloaked figure has a staff which is floating next to him. The staff is a long spine surrounded with shadows. On top of this spine rests a dragon's skull which also happens to be engulfed in shadows. When he attacks with the weapon, it lowers your bth. The weapon, like all his attacks deal darkness damage. When he is defeated, he transforms into one of three creatures. The first is a shadow version of gravis. The second is a shadow version of stragath's head, and the third is a shadow version of ZARDIS. But before he transforms, you have a chance to avoid that. After defeating the cloaked figure, a roll screen is shown. You must roll a 70 or higher in intellect to avoid the second battle. If you roll less than 70, you can try to defy it using SP. If you fail, you will have to fight one of those creatures. The attack strengths of those creatures are altered according to your level. The lower level players fight easier versions than the high level players. All three monsters in the second battle happen to have the same effects as their original counterparts. One thing I forgot to add is that the shadow creatures can all reflect PWD and void or harm damage is cut in half when used against them. Plus, the cloaked figure has a regenerative ability which grants him 20 hp and 10 mp per turn. His attacks cost MP and he can also drain you MP on each of his attacks. He can steal 50 MP from you per attack. His stats are that of a tank beast mage. Focusing on Intellect, Endurance, and Charisma.

What do you think?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 5
11/6/2011 22:47:54   
Aves

I'm really happy that you made this contest! I love to see contest rewards as actual in-game content (rather than game currency alone), and have been waiting a long time for something like this :D

< Message edited by Aves -- 11/7/2011 9:56:32 >
AQ  Post #: 6
11/6/2011 22:50:31   
ArchMagus Orodalf

>> I hope my Item entry is clear in its intent/meaning...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
11/7/2011 0:08:11   
.Discipline

^^ Awesome entry Orodalf, I love the idea of the alternating elements but the only problem with that being creatures weak to light are generally strong to darkness and vice versa, so I can't see many situations in which it would be extremely useful. That being said, with that kind of power in a magical weapon it would be great to 'Mage SMASH!' those pesky '100% to all' monsters.

My idea for an addition would be a trigger on Darkshifters which causes the blade to strike with void damage, but obviously, take it or leave it. That would give it a good use and link it in as a Shadow War reward.

Any opinions on my monster entry? I'm mulling over a piece of equipment right now.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
11/7/2011 0:24:32   
Aura Knight

@Discipline: I really like your entry. Very organized and a great concept. great artwork as well. I probably should have made my entry more organized, but whatever.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 9
11/7/2011 1:03:11   
ND Mallet

Gotta Go Fast (OSGD/ED Balance)

Glad I made my entry before reading anyone else's. I don't think I would've entered if I saw .Discipline's entry before hand. I can say mine is a creative with an interesting concept at least. Not so sure if the team can code changing stats in a monster though. I know they can change forms of a monster after so much health(Deery) and have different types of attacks depending on health(Vamp Handmaiden and the Draco counterpart) but not so sure if they can entirely change the build of a monster because health dips past a certain amount. It might be problematic with the last form since it can regenerate health and therefore run the risk of switching back to the 2nd form if it goes back behind the 2/3 mark.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
11/7/2011 3:56:25   
Mordred

Posted a Shadow Wyrm monster that has some neat effects I should hope. I guess the idea isn't wildly original, but the only other idea I had was a Shadow Doppelganger that I couldn't really figure out any good effects for. :(

I'll try my hand at a reward concept later.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 11
11/7/2011 6:19:01   
Orthodox

I just posted my idea and its my first idea in a contest so whatever happens i'm still glad to have contributed in any way possible... so can anyone share any insights about my idea? XD
AQ DF  Post #: 12
11/7/2011 6:48:14   
Aura Knight

@orthodox: Seems like a pretty legit monster idea. One thing you might want to do is draw a pic of the monster for visual reference. or maybe describe its physical appearance in detail so that the artists can draw it well.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to edit our posts in the contest entry thread?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 13
11/7/2011 7:03:26   
Orthodox

@Demonic Sage 23: Thanks! But I can't draw right now... not that talented. hehehe.. i edited mine a bit so i think it's safe to edit one's work.
AQ DF  Post #: 14
11/7/2011 7:48:19   
xehanort

Well, i made a poorly concealed parody monster, which just happens to be capable of inflicting a world of pain on anyone who fights it.

...Comments?
AQ DF  Post #: 15
11/7/2011 8:30:27   
Karmakas

So who are the judges? (I understand if I don't get a reply, I guess the information can be abused)
AQ  Post #: 16
11/7/2011 9:35:54   
.Discipline

quote:

poorly concealed

Hahaha. Surely that is the exact opposite of your monster, Xehanort. As for the name, I'd suggest something like Shadow Champion Chameleon (I know that's hardly original, but the name you have isn't such a good fit)

I'm going to get to work on an item suggestion later today. I really have no clue what to go for... maybe an awesome effect shield. We'll see.

Oh, to the post above, I'm guessing the Head Judge is Lord Barrius, as he's organized it and it's his release. Anyone else judging with him is likely going to a member of AQ game staff and probably won't be publicly revealed.

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 11/7/2011 9:45:42 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 17
11/7/2011 10:56:32   
Aura Knight

Can anyone give me feedback on my monster suggestion? It would be most helpful and appreciated.

@Kramakas: Well, one of the judges will probably be LB since he is the one who created the contest.

< Message edited by Demonic Sage 23 -- 11/7/2011 11:05:23 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 18
11/7/2011 11:53:07   
Issa

Just posted my Shadowcursed Blade. :D It's a pretty unique idea, although I'm not sure if its very balanced.. My monster will probably be a Hybrid capable of some nasty tricks. Thoughts on the weapon?

Demonic Sage: It's a nice idea, I quite like it. :) I would be able to offer more detailed info if it was better laid out-I like the general summoning concept, but it was pretty hard to get any detailed info with a quick read.

< Message edited by Issa -- 11/7/2011 11:59:33 >
DF  Post #: 19
11/7/2011 12:09:09   
Cookielord12

posted Kratar the shadowmancer (not great with names). i like my idea. took a while to think of everything though.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 20
11/7/2011 13:28:33   
.Discipline

Hmmmmm, seems to be a lot of Shadow Wizard suggestions now...
Hopefully that doesn't hinder Dalarai, some of them are quite cool.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
11/7/2011 13:34:16   
Nex del Vida

Ehah. Sorry, .D--couldn't resist.

Just posted my first suggestion. I'll work on others later.
AQ  Post #: 22
11/7/2011 13:51:45   
afterlifex

X of the AQ Q&A/EC/BS

Nex del Vida

quote:

ATTACK 2: Sundrain
This is a spell, so it costs and damages accordingly. Light Magic damage, regenerates 50% damage dealt to HP.

ATTACK 3: Moondrain
This is a spell, so it costs and damages accordingly. Darkness Magic damage, regenerates 50% damage dealt to MP.

Does that mean he damages the opponents MP(& regains MP) or that it damages HP & restores his MP? (same can be said for the other).

If he damages the opponents MP that means that 50% of the time we would be doing nothing when you have 0MP?

< Message edited by afterlifex -- 11/7/2011 13:52:55 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 23
11/7/2011 13:52:29   
Nex del Vida

Ah--that's unclear, good call. He's supposed to always damage HP, and then heal HP on Sundrain and MP on Moondrain.

< Message edited by Nex del Vida -- 11/7/2011 13:53:19 >
AQ  Post #: 24
11/7/2011 13:53:47   
Aura Knight

Updated version of my suggestion. It is more organized now. I would have drawn the monster, but I simply am not able to make it as impressive as I have described.

quote:

Appearance: A floating hooded figure with a dark gray cloak that is engulfed by shadows. The hood of the cloak shows only two red eyes that are sinister and snakelike in appearance. There is no face structure that can be seen as the head itself is made of pure shadow that pulsates. The shadows within the hood cause bats made of shadows to encircle the head of the hooded figure. The cloak itself is a darker version of shadow cloak and is much smaller and wider in proportion. The figure wearing the cloak is floating in midair and is surrounded by three darkness orbs that float. One is floating atop his head. The other two are at each of his shoulders. The orbs look like regular darkness orbs, but they have a dark aura around them. This aura is shadows. At At his feet are two shadow wolves with red eyes which he often uses in an attack. He holds a staff made of bone and a dragon's skull. The handle of the staff is made up of a spine and the skull which lies atop of made of a dragon's skull. The handle is only shown in the center. From the handle to the skull is a pulsating shadow that takes the form of a staff's handle. It extends from the handle to the base of the skull and is pulsating. The pulsating animation of this staff's shadow is the same as that of the exodus weapons. The skull has an animation which is seen often. The mouth opens up and a small flame is seen. The flame is colored black and blue. The same colors as most of Dage The Evil's legion items from AQW. The monster also has a shield which only appears after it dodges an attack or if you miss. The shield itself is an ironthorn with shadows encircling it. Also, the monster has a scroll necklace that is opened on its neck. On the scroll is written the kanji for shadowin blood red ink. The ink is red to symbolize the blood the creature caused others to spill.

Attacks:

1. Uses the two wolves at its feet to attack you.
Animation: extends arm and the two wolves pounce at you dealing massive darkness damage.
-Because the damage is so high (similar to that of Mayhem), the bth of the attack is low. When the attack hits you, it can cause you to become dazed which gives you a status effect of not being able to act for three turns. There is a 25% not to act for those three turns.

2. Shadow dragon's claw scratches you dealing darkness damage.
Animation: Cloaked figure turns pitch black and raises both arms. A claw swipes down from above and scratches at you.
-This causes you to get a DoT of darkness damage which lasts for 5 turns. it also lowers your magic defenses by 6 for those 5 turns. Intellect is also lowered by 10% of your original. For example, if you had 150 intellect, you would lose 10% of that which is 15, so after that attack, your intellect would be 135. The lowered intellect lasts until the battle ends. This effect can be stacked as many times as the monster uses that attack. However, your intellect cannot become negative. It stops decreasing at zero.

3. Shadow Dragon's Breath of Fear.
-Animation: Cloak opens up as the hooded figure leans back. From the cloak emerges a shadow dragon. The dragon opens its mouth and does a breath attack of darkness damage. It hits you six times with darkness. The appearance of the dragon is the same as that of Nith the Shadowdragon. As is the breath attack.

4. Uses staff to attack.
-Animation: Floats up to you and swings the staff in a downward motion. Attack deals darkness damage.
Whenever he uses this attack, the monster gains 50 MP while draining 50 of your own.

Extras

-The shield it has only lasts for one turn and the turn after which it appears, the monster's attack is multiplied by 150%. The downside is that his bth is lowered by 10. Similar effect as an ironthorn shield would have for a player.
-Monster has a regenerative ability. Heals 20 HP per turn.
-After defeated, a roll screen appears. The player must be able to roll a 65 or higher in the intellect category to pass. If the roll is failed, it can be passes given that the player has sufficient SP. IF the roll is failed, a new battle will begin. There is a possibility of three battles. One is against a shadow version of gravis. Deals darkness damage and occasionally light on its breath attack. The other possible battle is against a shadow version of stragath's head. It too deals darkness damage. The third possible battle, and perhaps the toughest, is against a shadow version of Z.A.R.D.I.S. It attacks with a mixture of light and darkness. These monsters are scaled by player level.

--The battle counts as two seperate battles which give the player XP and Gold for both battles.
--After the battles are won, a screen with a black chest appears. When opened, the chest gives the player 5000 gold and 2500 xp.

*There will also be an option for a challenge battle in which the player must fight all three battles from the second part of the fight. When victorious, the player will then proceed to a similar chest as the one mentioned before, but this one will have 10,000 gold and 3000 xp.

Monster's Defense Modifiers

Melee:60
Range:55
Magic:70

Fire:90%
Water:70%
Wind:50%
Ice:50%
Earth:120%
Energy:90%
Light:20%
Darkness:20%

Stats:

STR:0
DEX:0
INT:200
END:200
CHAR:200
LUK:50

XP: (Player level*2+2750)
Gold: (Player level*2+2000)

Possible monster description: This hooded figure is the embodiment of fear itself. It's eyes give a sudden chill down your spine and you feel strange. Demonic Sage 23 was the first to encounter this creature and he has never been the same since then. If you value your sanity, flee the battle while you still can.

I am quite happy with the result. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Thanks to whoever gives me feedback.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Official AE Announcements and Contests!] >> Official Contests >> =AQ= "The Looming Shadows!" Contest Discussion
Page 1 of 1112345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2014 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition