Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(ED) Hazard

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> EpicDuel >> (ED) Hazard
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/18/2012 11:25:18   
drinde

Discussion

Chapter One: Lab Rat

Where am I?

A shout… footsteps… alarms sounding…

Who am I?

Bladed feet… sharp claws… serrated fangs….

What am I?

Mirion glared out of the containment chamber, flexing his claws. A scuttling sound caused him to turn his head, looking around for the source of the noise. He slowly took in the sharp legs, huge orb of an eye and irregularly-shaped body of the creature. What was the creature’s name...? Xraal.

“Greetings,Hazard. I trust you are comfortable?” A sibilant sound emerged from the creature, which Mirion took to be laughter. “You should be able to reason relatively well, since the… experiment… was a success.”

“Whar… Wherg… Wha…” Mirion fumbled as he tried to speak. “W-Where am I? What did you do to me?”

A gleam appeared in Xraal’s eye as he scuttled forward.

In a silky yet menacing voice, Xraal spoke. “You are in no position to demand answers, as you can see.”

Lifting a claw, he jabbed downward at a panel on the floor. Mirion screamed in pain as electricity arced all over his body, sending his nervous system into shock. He fell forward, driven to his knees by sudden fatigue. Flinching involuntarily, Mirion raised his head to meet the creature’s gaze.

Mirion struggled to his feet with difficulty. Mind still fogged with pain, he barely registered the fact that Xraal had left the room. After the creature left, Mirion began to glance at his surroundings. He was in some kind of laboratory, with a long, rectangular panel of glass serving as a window. On his left were more containment chambers, containing other unfortunate creatures that Xraal had collected. The entire right wall was covered by a vivarium. A flash of movement inside it caught his eye.

It looked to be a small rectangular unit filled with various plants and insectoids mostly found native on Delta V, some of which he had never seen before. Mirion could make out centipedes as large as small snakes, beetles with horns that looked like antlers, and all manners of other insectoids crawling inside it. Caught up in watching the insects, he did not detect the hissing sound of gas escaping into the containment unit. Soon, he was unconscious.

Mirion leaned against the wall, exhausted. Xraal had conducted various tests to gauge his ability to perform both physical and intellectual tasks, and the strenuous exercises had drained him.

Flash! Flash! Flash! The lights on the ceiling began to switch on one by one, indicating an arrival to the laboratory. Mirion glanced out, expecting Xraal to scuttle in to perform yet more ghastly experiments on his creatures. He remembered the horrific incident in which Xraal had tried to forcibly change the physiology of another Hazard through surgery. Mirion shuddered at the memory. The tortured shrieks of the Hazard had filled the chamber as Xraal conducted the operation, as sedation was deemed unnecessary. Mirion dreaded the day in which Xraal decided to try the experiment once again.

Sssst. The laboratory doors slid open. Rain whipped through the door as a cloaked figure strode in. There was a malevolent air around the man, who cut an intimidating figure. Xraal entered shortly after, looking drenched. The man ignored Xraal as the creature went about, flicking switches and jabbing at control panels. With a whoosh, heat rushed into the room, drying them instantly.

"Bring in the Hazard," the man commanded.

"You heard the Overlord! Bring it in!" cried Xraal, nervously shifting his balance between his legs.

A Hazard aboard a levitating cage entered the Lab, flanked by a couple of Bio-Guards. They bowed before leaving, no doubt returning to their quarters for a night of debauchery. Mirion looked at the Hazard without much interest, thinking it was another one that Xraal had captured, but was shocked at what he saw. This was no ordinary Hazard. The creature had a mechanized torso and limbs, with dark crimson shading the cords that made up its muscular structure. It seemed to be lit from within, eyes and claws glowing with a strange light. Jolts of electricity arced over its body, yet the cyborg displayed no sign of discomfort.

"This is the most recent prototype of the Electro-Hazard. It has finally been perfected by my scientists in Fortune City," said Baelius.

“We live to obey. We live to serve. Long live the Legion!” the cyborg rasped.

"And they are completely loyal to our cause, which is more than you can say about your creatures," sneered the Overlord. "I want these abominations terminated within the month. They are a waste of our resources."

"But... but..." Stuttered Xraal. "T-These experiments a-"

"Silence!" The Overlord cut him off angrily. "You dare question me? You would do well to remember the fate of Ulysess, scientist."

"I... It shall be done, master," Xraal answered with an edge of fear. He knew that Baelius would not hesitate to him thrown to the mercies of his Imperial Torturers.

"See that it is," Baelius snarled. Throwing back his cloak, Baelius strode out into the dark, where his transport waited.

Xraal sank to the floor wearily. "My experiments… All these years… Wasted…"

After observing the incident, Mirion knew he would have to escape soon. He knew Xraal would not dare to retain any of his creatures after what the Overlord had said. They would be terminated. All of them.

< Message edited by drinde -- 12/1/2012 2:33:53 >
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 1
3/8/2012 10:35:40   
drinde

Chapter Two: Security Breach

The laboratory was dimly lit. It had been three weeks since the Overlord's visit, and the power supply was already down. Xraal had to bring in a portable generator to provide the energy for his laboratory to function properly. He had not left the lab for more than a couple of hours at a time, frantically gathering all his notes and vials, saving as much data as he could. Even though he considered his experiments his life, Xraal would not dare to disobey Baelius, lest he was surrendered to the mercies to the Imperial Inquisitors, who acted as Baelius's personal torturers.

Mirion knew he had to act soon. It wouldn't be long before he was going to be dragged off to the Bio-Fume chamber.

Footsteps sounded down the corridor. Time for his plan to begin.

The Bio-Guards were deep in conversation as they made their patrol rounds. One was chattering on about a game show he had seen last night while the other was droning on and on about the proper way of preparing a roast chicken, both ignoring each other.

"And always brush some honey on the t- Hey, look!" One of the guards stopped and nudged his companion. "Isn’t that the Hazard?"

“Is it dead?"

“How the heck should I know?”

"C'mon, man. Let's go check."

The guard strode over to his containment unit and reach out to press the panel that controlled the door.

Yes, you fool. Just a little bit more....

Click.

Zzzzzzt... The lights began to blow out one by one.

What? That wasn't supposed to happen...

Mirion got up to his feet in surprise. A single glance at the guards showed that they were every bit as confused as he was.

Kerr-rack! A cracking noise made all three of them turn at the window. Dark figures could be seen out there. They were too large to be human. Were those... Hazards?

As Mirion mused over this startling development, one of the figures broke through the glass. Its arm was spiked with protruding knobs of bone, and it had clawed hands. The intruders were Hazards!

They climbed through the shattered remains of the window. A Hazard, smaller than the rest, began to speak to his followers. By the way they glanced at him, Mirion assumed he was their leader.

"Salvage any items you can, and destroy the rest. They will no longer harm our home." He rasped.

Mirion was startled. They could... talk?! But they were free! If Xraal had never experimented on them, how could they be sentient?

"What about his... experiments?"

"Kill them," said the leader without hesitation. "Their suffering ends now."

< Message edited by drinde -- 12/1/2012 2:35:24 >
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 2
4/26/2012 23:07:48   
drinde

Chapter Three: Breakout

Mirion froze as he heard the leader's words.

Great. Now more people want to kill me.

The Hazards moved quickly, opening each containment unit and slaying the creature imprisoned there with deadly precision. Inevitably, they drew closer and closer to Mirion's own.

Well, I'm certainly not going down without a fight.

Mirion tensed as the Hazards reached him. He flexed his claws, preparing to inflict as much damage to his would-be killer as possible.

With a few blows, the containment chamber's door broke apart. Mirion leaped forward, only to be dragged and slammed into the wall by two Hazards at each side. The Hazard who had broke the cage approached.

As the Hazard drew back his arm for the killing blow, a feeling of helplessness and frustration bubbled within Mirion.

"NO!"

He closed his eyes, waiting.

To his surprise, the slash never came. Mirion, still partially dazed, opened his eyes and looked at the Hazard in front of him. The Hazard had frozen in place, staring at Mirion in shock. His followers seemed to be likewise afflicted.

At last, the Hazard spoke.

"Y-you..." He swallowed hard, and tried again. "Did you just speak? D-do you... understand me?"

Mirion said nothing.

The Hazards holding him back shook him roughly. "Answer him!"

"...Yes."

< Message edited by drinde -- 12/1/2012 2:44:01 >
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> EpicDuel >> (ED) Hazard
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition