Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Oversoul= Design Notes March 1st, 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [Oversoul] >> Oversoul General Discussion >> =Oversoul= Design Notes March 1st, 2012
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/1/2012 6:32:41   
  Nulgath
Oversoul

quote:

Battle Cards and Elements

Posted on March 01, 2012 by Nulgath

You got to know when to hold them, know when to CRUSH them, know when to walk away, know when to run! This week we talk battle strategies. Oversoul will be a very tactically heavy game mixed with a sprinkle of chance and opportunity. Oversoul's battle system will be base on battle cards. You are dealt your cards and must decide to how to play them to best defeat your enemies.

Card Mechanics:
Power Cost: Each turn you must decide to power up, draw a new card or attack. Or do one if each if you're able.

Element: This is the element you must power up in order to use this card. In the case above, Neutral.

Card Type Icon: This icon will determine what type of card you are you using. This is an attack card indicated by the crossed swords

Damage or Defense Points: This number displays the amount of damage or defending you will do.

Card Types:
You'll basically have 4 types of cards mixed in your deck. Attacks, defends, unblockable and the all important special cards which will modify all your abilities in different ways. These cards will also be modified by your level and special relics. Below are just a sample of what some special cards can do:

Elements:
This brings us to Elements. As of now there are 9: Neutral, Fire, Ice, Earth, Water, Lightning, Light, Shadow and lastly, Chaos.

Counter Elements:
As you can see in the chart above, certain Elements will have a significant advantage over another. (This chart may be subject to change once battle tests are done.) Some of this will also be offset with special cards and relics.

Some characters may have the ability to possess multiple elements like say a Master Wizard. This may be an advantage but it's also a risk as each element must be powered up separately. So if you are powering up fire to attack an ice beast but you keep drawing an earth or water card, you maybe in trouble. On the other hand, you can counter multiple types of enemies.

I'm building the type of game I want to play and I look forward to crushing you all in battle! You can be sure I will be playing an undercover character as well as myself!

Stay tuned next week for more updates on Oversoul!

-Nulgath

< Message edited by Nulgath -- 3/1/2012 15:41:45 >
Post #: 1
3/1/2012 6:41:56   
Slayernator

I love a game that requires some strategy and thinking!!

< Message edited by Scakk -- 3/1/2012 6:43:29 >

My Herosmash Character
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/1/2012 6:46:53   
megakyle777

Chaos looks like it could be interesting, though I just now realise we have little to no Chaos based Foes as far as I know. What monsters use Chaos, since the others would pretty much be self explanitory?

Also, it appears to hacve no downsides aside from the Randomness of it's cards. I mean, the fact you many only do One Dmage is probably a weakness enough, but it has no elemental weakness or anything. If you can increase LUCK enough using a relic or two it may be OP.

< Message edited by megakyle777 -- 3/1/2012 6:50:11 >
DF  Post #: 3
3/1/2012 7:04:41   
  Nulgath
Oversoul

quote:

Chaos looks like it could be interesting, though I just now realise we have little to no Chaos based Foes as far as I know. What monsters use Chaos, since the others would pretty much be self explanitory?

Also, it appears to hacve no downsides aside from the Randomness of it's cards. I mean, the fact you many only do One Dmage is probably a weakness enough, but it has no elemental weakness or anything. If you can increase LUCK enough using a relic or two it may be OP.

Ahhh... and that's why it's good to have fresh eyes to see things missed. I forgot to add it's counter.

- Nulgath
Post #: 4
3/1/2012 7:12:39   
megakyle777

Cool. Much better.
DF  Post #: 5
3/1/2012 8:39:25   
  ND Mallet

Gotta Go Fast (OSGD/ED Balance)

May I suggest cards for my Moose suggestion? If so, the Cybernetic Moose needs Antler Rockets! Regular moose and cybernetic forms need a melee based card called Moose Mash(signature move of every moose where they run up and bash you with their hoove. Some are capable of making big boom when they do it. Trust me, I'm a moose so I would know).

This looks quite nice for a PvP game. Can't say I've seen anything else like it. I've seen PvP and cardbased games but not both at the same time.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
3/1/2012 9:00:51   
megakyle777

I want to suggest cards for my Nekomancer Suggestion now. How about Summon Cat, Summon Lion, and Summon... whatever the hell that thing in the other preview was. Oh, and SUmmon Nekomancer, who can Summon nekomancer, who can...you get the idea.
DF  Post #: 7
3/1/2012 9:08:35   
Secret1337

So good/light have advantage against evil/shadow. But weak against chaos. So chaos is "friend" with evil?

And I will KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN!!!

< Message edited by Secret1337 -- 3/1/2012 9:09:10 >
Post #: 8
3/1/2012 9:35:29   
Tristar Nexus
Constructive!

Blasphemy
Lightning knows no weakness!

meh.

While clear elemental relations are helpful it would be nice if there were some more intricate relations. While having that closed circle of chaos, neutral, light and darkess is fine, it would be nice to have a weaker cross over with the standard elements. It is possible lore wise: Cold slows chaos, darkness darkens earth, light banishes fire yuda yuda yuda. Hopefully more elemental madness will be worked into special cards. Which brings me to a thread topic I should probably go suggest...
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
3/1/2012 10:02:43   
megakyle777

And what would that Topic be?

Also, Lightning does have a weakness. Earth can kinda absorb it.
DF  Post #: 10
3/1/2012 10:06:22   
Tristar Nexus
Constructive!

@Megakyle777: Then your lightning bolt wasn't big enough -_-

Put topic suggestion up. Hopefully moderators will see value in it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
3/1/2012 10:11:44   
megakyle777

I like the idea. The real question is will Nulgath?

Also, if it is done, might be worth posting a link in the YuGiOh Thread and other such places for those interested in Oversoul. Considering the amout of effects in that game it may be helpfull putting together stratergies for certain characters. That is if you think you can get away with it.
DF  Post #: 12
3/1/2012 11:14:11   
spellmaster

Will you have higher HP as you level up or will always stay the same? Also do the cards attack other cards or do they attack the car holder?
Post #: 13
3/1/2012 11:19:26   
Arthur

Do these cards have a cooldown time before being reused or cant they be used again once used?

I have a suggestion for the Templar class, how about Templar Surge? a card that temprarily powers the Knights hitpoints up and increases the effectiveness of his elements.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 14
3/1/2012 14:21:01   
Cookielord12

Wow awesome strategic potential. I'm probably going to be some kind of tank
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 15
3/2/2012 22:50:15   
monkeyman4241995

quote:

As of now there are 9: Neutral, Fire, Ice, Earth, Water, Lightning, Light, Shadow and lastly, Chaos.

Um... is there a reason that Wind was abandoned in favor of Chaos and Neutral? Or was it just overlooked?

Also... when I read this then scrolled down to the Leveling Up and Alignment posts, it made me realize why the AQ3D Pre-Registration seemed anticlimactic to me... I'm looking forward to Oversoul much more. Can't wait until testing/release of the game comes! :)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
3/3/2012 9:58:56   
Voidrix

If I'm not wrong,lighting is replacing wind.
MQ  Post #: 17
3/3/2012 11:50:37   
mturf
SMASHING Comics!!

it appears that lightning is replacing wind on the traditional tree. personally i'll not really miss wind. i often find it represented awkwardly, other than the basic whirlwind animation it usually has a rather lackluster appearance. however, lightning is often very dramatic and impressive to look at. it also gives us an elemental basis for most of our potential machine creatures, that would be presumably run on lightning/electricity of some sorts (altho throwing in some steam powered machines in there to mix up the elements we see our machines using would be cool). it also doesn't necessarily mean we wont see wind creatures. i can see a classic wind elemental throwing lightning, raining hail (ice), or using wind to throw boulders (earth) at it's enemies.

i like the idea of having more intricate relations between the primary elements. i do however think the above layout kinda sucks for displaying/discussing their interplay. lemme get back on dis one, a picture may help the brain ^-^
scratch that, my brain's not working ^-^

< Message edited by mturf -- 3/3/2012 12:31:05 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
3/5/2012 1:08:34   
spellmaster

Some of the weapons Nulgath showed were decent looking weapons ^_^
Post #: 19
3/7/2012 3:28:27   
Xxbbooxx

Can't wait for this game, each and every design notes it gets better and better!
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 20
3/7/2012 9:08:00   
Mind Mage

Nulgath, will this game have different groups that you will be able to join to fight in wars? I think that would work in this game the best out of all the other Artix games.

Will this game have memberships or will it be F2P?
AQW  Post #: 21
3/7/2012 19:26:14   
Starstruck
Friendly!

Will your undercover character be tough to beat, Nulgath? :P

Also, I'm curious as the mechanics of the decks themselves. I understand the types of cards, but what I don't get is how the cards will be shuffled together. Do we get a starter deck? Is there a limit to deck size, either maximum or minimum?

Rrrrrgh I want this game so bad

quote:

You got to know when to hold them, know when to CRUSH them, know when to walk away, know when to run!
Know when to play them, know when to save them, know when to stay ahead, when the battle's done!

< Message edited by Starstruck -- 3/7/2012 19:28:52 >
DF MQ  Post #: 22
3/7/2012 20:32:17   
Glais

quote:

If I'm not wrong,lighting is replacing wind.

But Lightning's already a part of the Elemental tree, which just makes it weirder.
Post #: 23
3/8/2012 15:12:30   
  ND Mallet

Gotta Go Fast (OSGD/ED Balance)

I'm really suprised by just how little hype Oversoul is getting. A card based PvP MMO game where you can be just about anything at all and it's getting less attention than a 3D game(even though it's Flash, 3D has been done before and shouldn't be causing so much a stir) with no special attraction to it aside from being Flash based.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 24
3/8/2012 15:49:36   
Tristar Nexus
Constructive!

^Note the utter lack of updates from Nulgath. There are only so many creature types you can suggest and battle strategies to discuss without being told anything. Everything he's posted here has been available on twitter from the beginning. I'm extremely excited about this game. But. There. Is. Nothing. Here :/
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [Oversoul] >> Oversoul General Discussion >> =Oversoul= Design Notes March 1st, 2012
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2014 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition