Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) By Hand and Claw

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) By Hand and Claw
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/21/2012 19:49:16   
Hiraku Tatlin

By Hand and Claw

Chapter 1: The "Treasured Namesake"

His life started with the warmth of a beating heart. He did not know anything else, but deep within the confines of a protective shell, he did not want for anything but to enjoy this brief moment of tender peace. After two seconds, he tried to find a way to end this quiet boredom. His eyes were not yet strong enough to pierce the darkness within his sanctuary, but if he looked hard enough, he could see strange shapes moving around him. Their very presence surprised him; they were slender in body, but had numerous pointy edges about them with a weird tail that dangled from their behind. It was only after he felt a odd sensation coming behind him that he noticed that he had one too. Full of curiosity, the young dragonling played with its tail as he moved it in the most random of ways. Even if he could not see it clearly, he noticed it move where it wanted to. After a few more swings of its tail, he was surprised when he could no longer move it.

To his shock, the tail had embedded itself deep within the eggshell. Nervousness gripping him tightly, he pulled his tail with all his might and was rewarded with a few beams of light in return. The small hole he left was not enough to see the strange world before him, but his own growing curiosity kept his eyes peeled at the strange light emanating from it. As if hearing his wish, long jagged lines danced along the protective coating of the egg. With the strength of the egg's durability weakening, strong instinct made the young dragonling scratch at its surface with what felt like hands. It seemed to be working, for loud grating noises could be heard where his 'hands' last scratched. Unable to contain the curious dragon, the egg broke apart at its ambitious nature.

What he took for light came from a distant star at a hole deep in the middle of what he would later know to be a cave. Its beauty warmed his heart as he stared at the star, oblivious to the strange new presence in the cave. At this time, he recalled the words that one of the weird shapes said during his time in the warm shell: Listen to my soft words, little one. Under the glow of starlight, the first word that graces your sharp ears will be your mark, the title that all who know you will forever use when they bask in your presence.

Basking in these warm words, he closed his eyes, ready to receive that beautiful word that would forever be his name. For a moment, all he heard was the quiet movement of other dragonlings among him, but then he heard a high soprano voice in front of him that had a strong accent from his strange land he had no knowledge about. "...La'val!"

La'val?? Surprise filling his very core, La'val opened his eyes to discover a strange species in front of him. This..being had flesh and pretty colors all over her, but for the time being, he resisted the urge to bite her. When the La'val showed confusion at what she said, she repeated herself with the patience of a gorillaphant. Coughing slightly, as if she was clearing her throat at the presence of a great dragon, she continued.

"Level! What I meant to say was that your level is far too low for me to consider fighting you, but my old cough got the better of me. Oh well. It's not like my little slip up did anything too drastic."

The dragon was too confused at his new name that he ignored the thought of asking her what on lore was a 'level', but from this day on, the young dragonling would forever be known as La'val, the first dragon to be named by a absolutely random human girl

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 4/21/2012 19:50:54 >
AQ DF  Post #: 1
4/25/2012 21:23:25   
Hiraku Tatlin

Chapter 2: Absurd Bargain

The cave bristled with the wild assortment of draconian life that decorated the natural earth around them. Dragons of all shapes and sizes gathered curiously at a respectful distance from what appeared to be one baby dragon and (possibly) his first live snack. One dragon in particular, a large red dragon, with a lean and lengthy build, caressed the opening on the top of the cave's ceiling that bathed the cave's residence with the warm radiance of the moon to pay close attention to the scene unfolding in front of her.

The dragon's snack, a weird brightly-colored girl, noticed La'val's sudden silence at her words to the point that she felt compelled to end the awkward moment in front of her. "..you know, I didn't just jump from the hole in the ceiling just to have a dragon gawk at me." To her surprise, La'val responded fiercely as if his pride was on the line. His words brought her to drop the dagger she was trying to keep concealed until now. "Gawk? Is that something I can eat? I just can't understand why you would bless me with a name as strange as 'La'val'..would eating you make this problem go away?" Resisting the urge to laugh when the dragon emphasized the word La'val by bending his claw digits, the human girl was more amazed at the dragon's words than the question he was asking her. "D-did you just talk? The scholars always taught me that draconic was spoken with the feeling of rumbling boulders or so-" it was only when the dragon's eyes narrowed into fiery slits that the girl thought it was a good idea to change her trail of thought. That and the fact that she started noticing other dragons encircling around her.

"I don't think eating me would make you happy. You probably wouldn't eat a meal who introduces herself to you, would you? My name's Kali. I don't know much about dragon culture, but I might have blurted out the wrong word on the wrong time. And now that's your name?" When she saw La'val nod at her question, her tone relaxed slightly as she continued. "While I admit La'val is an unusual name, you should let your actions speak for you instead of your namesake. I bet if you go on your own adventure one day, you might reach a point where you reach a state of power so vast that people will stand in awe at your high 'level'! The mountains will quake at the touch of your han- I mean claws, and the winds will howl at your flight! Wouldn't that be neat?" While Kali was nervously finding words that would make herself less appealing as a delicious meal, La'val was more entranced by the imagery in her proposal. She had no idea what he was thinking, but she took the fact that he was trumping his tail on the cavern floor with joy a good sign she would live long enough to buy a better suit of armor.

"Alright! I will go on this..adventure you speak of! But I'm still young, so I am still new to the world around me. That's why in exchange for not eating you, you have to be my partner until I have attained the highest 'level' in Lore!..Or at least lived long enough to see a mountain." At his words, his fellow brothers and sisters gave similar looks of confusion; they had expected him to have had his first meal or a dramatic battle to the death. What actually caught the attention of Kali and her dragon associate was a calm but vibrant voice resonating from the roof. It wasn't until he heard the voice that La'val recognized which dragon was his birth mother, who called to both of them under the moonlight. "That's..quite the beautiful bond you have there, little one," the red dragon turned sharply to Kali's position, "but if you didn't notice, tiny fleshling, you just entered the home of my brood. If you think you can just leave unharmed so you can disclose our whereabouts to the outside world, this would be a wonderful place for you to stay for all eternity." The red dragon, satisfied with her carefully worded taunt, let out a inhuman roar of fury. The resounding roar vibrated with the roar of her children, who followed in her stead. Kali could only stare dumbfounded at the strange play of events as La'val pondered for a way to ensure her 'expiry date' would last longer than today.

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 4/26/2012 8:30:39 >
AQ DF  Post #: 2
5/14/2012 20:34:53   
Hiraku Tatlin

Chapter 3: Ludicrous Draconian Logic

As the roars of his brethren echoes throughout his earth-warmed home, La'val knew that leaving the cave with both his newly hired human snack and himself intact wouldn't be so easy. His mother, whose lithe and supple draconian body blocked the cave's ceiling, was the only thing standing between him, his pet, and the world in his fingerclaws. Her nostrils tinged with bright embers, but the fully-grown dragon made no effort to show any intentions to attack unless La'val or Kali tried to make any attempts to escape. She seemed perfectly content to just stay guarding the only exit out of the cave forever, or at least long enough to eat the girl and continue life as normal, or at least as normal as it was for a dragon taking care of her hundreds of brood-children.

Speaking of his siblings, he was surprised that they had distanced themselves from Kali and himself, but the sparkling look on their eyes suggested they were enjoying the unusual scene depicted before them. Years of living in nothing but a cave can do that, La'val thought sarcastically as he tried to think of something to do to solve his dilemma. The front claws gripped the warm earth below them, horns twitching as they savored the unusual pair confronting their mother. He had no doubt which side they were rooting for, but to his horror, the girl's own excited look suggested that a newly hatched dragon and a girl with a wooden dagger had a chance of coming out with only a few scratches.

"We should be able to come of this with only a few scratches if we work together, eh? Luckily I know some basic spells in some arsenal." Closing her eyes, Kali concentrated the arcane powers deep within her heart. As if resonating with her power, a strong force of wind circled around Kali's presence, being shaped by her skillful magic into a small ball of condensed air. Kali wasted no moment hurling it at the the dragon, which caused the whole cave's inhabitants to express similar feelings of shock, then quickly dismissing the action when their mother flicked it away with a swipe of her wing. Seeing her most complex spell thrown aside so easily brought the girl to her knees in complete horror. She stared at the red dragon with eyes that lost the strength of a battle-ready foe. "D-do you know how long I practiced that spell? For five minutes! FIVE MINUTES!"

The dragon's eyes blinked twice in awkward surprise as she continued. "Was that all?", the La'val's mother mused, "If your going to stay here as our 'dinner and entertainment', I hope you can amuse my brood with something better than an 'air ball'. Sensing Kali's despair, La'val figured it was a good time to make his move.

"There's no need for of this, mother!" His voice erupted the whole cave into silence at his words. Everyone, including Kali, stared at him out of curiosity. "You see, we have gotten spoiled from living in caves for so long. We need the world to realize the terror of our dragon's clan once again! This human will help serve this purpose by accompanying me in this arduous task..by being my personal feeding girl." La'val was surprised by the strange looks his relatives gave as he made his proposition. He had to admit to himself that what he was saying was absurd (He had no idea what his clan's name even was), but each dragon digested his words as they contemplated what he said.

"As human nature dictates, she has agreed to this deal in exchange of giving her a fancy title befitting her status. She is honored with the privilege of working under me, but like all humans, they need fancy titles to motivate them in their work. That is why I have given her the grand title as the one who is the 'Lord' of making sure I am taking care of: Dragonlord! As Dragonlord, she has every right to come with me to ensure that my journey is met with not so much peril! So..mother, what say you?"

As if on cue, La'val's siblings stared curiously at what their mother would say at such puzzling logic. Their mother could only stare at the bizarre nature of his words, as did Kali, who continued to mutter something about 'five minutes' in vain.

AQ DF  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) By Hand and Claw
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition