Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: (DF) Legendium's Tale (WIP) Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (DF) Legendium's Tale (WIP) Discussion Thread
Page 3 of 3<123
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/21/2013 9:39:06   
Legendium

I doubt though that he would be recognized by the Paladin Order, since Dariut himself was trained in light magic by a light priest, and trained by the head of guard in fighting. Neither are truly official and recognized.
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 51
4/21/2013 10:36:14   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

@Legendium: Well, Artix was trained by Lady Celestia of the Temple of Light.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 52
4/27/2013 18:30:27   
Aurauris

Five golden muffins and an emphatic WOW to you, Legendium! It’s only been five and a half months from the start of your story (though I only began reading through your tale this morning; forgive my late arrival!), yet the growth and difference in maturity of writing style I see from Prologue to Chapter Seven is clear-cut and incredible. I think your greatest achievement thus far has been the improvement in your sentence-variety and imagery; the tale that had at the start pleasantly piqued my interest now, as I finish up reading your latest post, has me firmly spellbound.

Before I begin a few suggestions, I’d like to say as well that I really, really like how you’ve shown us occasional tidbits of the Necromancer Senuro’s perspective as well. +25 heebie-jeebies creepy points! I’m very anxious to see how his reflections upon Tobias’ autobiography align with the greater storyline in your tale. :3

That being said, here’s a couple comments I had whilst enjoying your most recent chapter!

quote:

Dariut pulled his sword out from it's scabbard on his back . . .

Just a little revision – “its”

-=-=-=-

quote:

Time was short though, as Dariut slashed sideways.

Since you’re using “though” to give this sentence a bit of a pause, I believe you’ll want to add a comma right beforehand.
        Ex: “Time was short, though, as Dariut slashed sideways.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

I stepped to the side to avoid the blow. "What?"

You might add a verb here leading into the dialogue to help the reader’s understanding of this being Tobias’ response to Dariut, and to further highlight the apprentice’s bewilderment. :3
        Ex: “I stepped aside to avoid the blow, exclaiming, ‘What?’”

-=-=-=-

quote:

I shifted into the stance of attack I had self-taught myself in the duelist club; leaning forward slightly, keeping the hammer close to my hip.

This feels a bit redundant, and there’s a couple ways you could smooth it out.
        Ex 1: “I shifted into the self-taught stance of attack from my days in the duelist club . . .”
        Ex 2: “I shifted into the stance of attack I had taught myself in the duelist club . . .”

Also, I think you have a great idea using a semicolon here! Just be sure that there’s a complete sentence on both sides. ^ _^
        Ex: “. . . in the duelist club; leaning forward slightly, I kept my hammer close to my hip.”

If you’d rather keep the wording as is, replace it with a colon or en dash, “–“, and you’re good to go!
        Ex: “. . . in the duelist club: leaning forward slightly, keeping the hammer close to my hip.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

Normally, I would have held it out in front of me, as I would with the sword I usually use . . .

These two “would”s feel a bit repetitive. You don’t have to change it if you’re not wanting to, but I think deleting the second “I would” adds a better flow to the overall sentence.
        Ex: “Normally, I would have held it out in front of me, as with the sword I usually use . . .”

-=-=-=-

quote:

I didn't.

I like that you begin this fifth section with a sudden indication that Tobias wasn't going to fall for Dariut’s baiting, but you might add a little more spice! C:
        Ex 1: “I [didn’t / wouldn’t] fall for it.”
        Ex 2: “Humor him I wouldn’t.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

It carried on for hours, me attempting to attack, Dariut blocking and dodging every blow.

I’m not sure there’s anything grammatically amiss here, but “me attempting” sounds a bit strange to my ear. Perhaps you could join the first two phrases?
        Ex: “It carried on for hours as I vainly attempted to attack, Dariut blocking and dodging every blow.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

For a hammer without flanges, a lot of strength is needed, which generally requires both hands on the handle. Which I couldn’t do comfortably with a blacksmith’s hammer, as the handle was too short.

The second sentence here isn’t a complete sentence on its own, so you might connect it to the previous with a little bit of tweaking to keep the commas from overwhelming. ^ _^
        Ex: “ . . . which generally requires both hands on the handle, something I couldn’t do comfortably with the incredibly short handle of a blacksmith’s hammer.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

Somehow though, the weapon started feeling better in my hands.

Since you have “somehow”, you can get rid of the “though”!
        Ex: “Somehow, the weapon started feeling better in my hands.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

When I was shook awake, the sun had barely risen.

Another teeny one! – “shaken”

-=-=-=-

quote:

This time round, things went much better.

Since “’round” is a contraction of “around” when used in this phrase, I suggest either using an apostrophe at the beginning of “round” or using the full word.
        Ex: “This time ‘round, things went much better.”

-=-=-=-

quote:

Sometimes he would shorten the time we fought, once we fought two days straight.

Last one! Since these two ideas contrast, I would either break them into separate sentences or make the difference clearer.
        Ex 1: “Sometimes he would shorten the time we fought. Once we fought for two days straight.”
        Ex 2: “Sometimes he would shorten the time we fought; another time, we fought for two days straight.”

-=-=-=-

And that’s it! You’ve truly made wonderful, wonderful progress, Legendium, and I can’t wait to see where Tobias’ Paladin-magic excursions will take him in your next chapter. Thank you so much for all your hard work in scripting out this gem of a tale. ^ u^

< Message edited by Aurauris -- 4/27/2013 18:59:48 >
DF AQW  Post #: 53
4/28/2013 15:06:08   
Legendium

Thanks for the feedback Aurauris. I'll see if I can find time this Wednesday to squash typos and inconsistencies.

I think I'm going to try to start posting a new chapter every week, but it may not work out every time. I'm definitely going to get the next chapter up soon.

Just so you guys know, this story is actually not only going to be about Tobias. After I'm done with his story, it's on to his brother's, and then his sister's.
But aside from that, there's no more I'll tell.
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 54
4/28/2013 15:42:00   
Aurauris

You're most welcome, Legendium! Your tidbit of hints has left me terribly excited, but do know there's no rush. ^ _^
DF AQW  Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (DF) Legendium's Tale (WIP) Discussion Thread
Page 3 of 3<123
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition