Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=ED= December 20, 2012 - Omega Announcement

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= December 20, 2012 - Omega Announcement
Page 1 of 1112345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/20/2012 17:29:32   
Ranloth
Banned

quote:

December 20, 2012
Omega Announcement

Hey guys,

I have some pretty bad news to share. The EpicDuel Omega release will not be ready in time for Christmas and will need to be delayed until after the new year. The team has gone to absolute insane lengths to put in the best possible effort to create what is effectively a brand new game. I have never worked harder in my life on anything, and I think I can speak for the team in saying the same for them. I'm incredibly impressed by everyone's dedication, and for that reason, I'm extremely disappointed that we couldn't showcase their efforts in time for the holiday. Honestly, it makes me sick that it's not ready, but I'm out of options at this point.

We did not take this decision lightly. This week is our fourth straight week of 7 days a week, minimum 15 hours per day. We've had several meetings discussing where we could cut, and how we could trim the release to be able to get things out on time. Last week, when we announced the delay from Dec 14 to Dec 20, we made the tough decision to cut several features that we previously thought were critical to the release. I thought with these cuts and our strongest effort that we could get Omega out in time. I was wrong and I'll take the blame for miscalculating the requirements.

"Scary Town"

I wanted to share briefly why this release is so important, why it's taking so long: Over the course of several months and numerous meetings, we compiled a list the primary reasons why someone might not enjoy playing EpicDuel. Additionally, we wrote down every issue in our development pipeline that was overly tedious, or limiting in what was possible. This list is known as "Scary Town". The goal of the EpicDuel Omega release is to crush "Scary Town." Some of the major issues we want to solve include improving the initial gameplay experience, speeding up the development time on new skills and items, eliminating the plague of power creep, and removing loads of restrictions that create a bad experience for players and ultimately hurt the game itself.

Battle Engine:

The battle engine is the main sticking point for why we're unable to release on time. It's an all or nothing proposal. Unlike other features that we can cut, the engine either is ready or it isn't... and in this case it isn't. There are currently 87 abilities that need to be recreated on the new engine just to get back to zero. I've taken on this task personally, and so far I've only recreated about 70 of the skills. The remaining incomplete ones include Robot abilities and item specials. Once those are complete, I can move forward creating the new special abilities for our Omega promotional items and the new Yetis.
Last night around 3am I was getting overrun with bugs from our testing staff. I was unable to knock out these final abilities and as a result, the engine is not stable enough to release going into Christmas. I'm not going to chance pushing it and risk having catastrophe over the holiday, especially a thoroughly gutted release that would lack many key features.

Compromise:

Again, we understand that this is a tremendous disappointment to all of our players, but especially our most hardcore loyal players. We tried to think of something we could do with what we've built so far. We thought about releasing a last-minute, best-in-game ubersword of doom, but that would fly in the face of everything we're trying to achieve with Omega.

Here's what we're going to do -- we're going to offer the Omega Onslaughter/Impaler, Obliterator/Slayer, both Yetis, and an Omega Ticket that grants access to a month-long contest for the price of one 5-key package. When you buy this package you will receive a ticket that will guarantee you receive the items as soon as Omega officially goes live in January. After Omega goes live, we will split the Obliterator and Onslaughter into 2 separate packages as planned, but those who preordered will already have it all and be able to participate in the competition without delay!

In the mean time, we are going to push a small content release out of some seasonal rares items, and we're going to setup the Baby Yeti and Dark Yeti so the HeroMart T-shirt items are ready. The shirts are available NOW. Other than that we'll be holding onto the Omega release until after the new year.

Golden Yeti Competition

Oh, yes, I suppose I forgot to mention a 30-day competition in which the top 100 participants will receive an Ultra-Rare Golden Yeti. There will be an ongoing leaderboard showing the current rankings for the duration of the event. This Yeti WILL NOT be available any other way, and you can only win it if you have a Golden Yeti Ticket. If successful, we can evolve this competition into a full-blown tournament feature going forward into Omega.

Going Forward:

I felt it was important to explain why things are delayed. I remain 100% confident that Omega will be EpicDuel's most successful release to date, and I know it will expand the life and playerbase of the game dramatically. When we cut down to the core of the issue, all that really matters is the health of EpicDuel. This news is disappointing, but disappointment fades. Once Omega is polished and live, it will absolutely have been worth the wait.

Thanks for your support. It has been a stressful time for the ED team, but with your support, we can complete Omega and usher in 2013 as the greatest year in EpicDuel's history!

Duel On!

Titan

Tags: Titan
From Basicball:
quote:

Hiyas everybody!

Once the update is live, you will notice that I do no longer have a green name.
This is due to the fact that I am no longer a moderator, nor am I a tester. Right now, I still have the green name, but I already had my powers removed, so if you need to report someone, please send it to the Lawman on the AEF.

I have been extremely busy ever since I became part of the team, and I had less and less time to actually play the game, and talk to my friends. I will now have more time for this, and maybe I’ll even find some time to pick up my EpidcuelMegaUpdate Youtube channel!

Maybe one day, I’ll be able to rejoin the team, but for now, I need some rest, and we’ll see what comes in the future (assuming we don’t all die today (0:13AM and still alive :D)). For now, I am just another player, but that doesn’t mean you are now allowed to randomly break rules. You should always listen to the moderators, and follow the rules!

Basicball ~ Former ED moderator and Tester

Tag applied. ~Scakk
Updated. -- SMGS
Updated BB's message. ~Mecha

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 12/20/2012 23:12:47 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 1
12/20/2012 17:33:23   
Blaze The Aion Ender

I'm gonna go on xbox for a while...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
12/20/2012 17:33:29   
xxmirxx

wow i post up my way before he did
AQ Epic  Post #: 3
12/20/2012 17:34:18   
Renegade Reaper

so how do i preorder the double pack???
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
12/20/2012 17:34:59   
Nexus...

lol called it =)

See you guys in a couple weeks.

quote:

See her is the issue...

EpicDuel doesn't always delay releases....but when they do....its always more than 1 week. (:O)

I hope this isn't the case here, but every phase release since Beta has experienced more than 1 date change. In fact, I think Gamma had 4 total dates it was supposed to be released, and similarly Delta had 3. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but I have come to expect the worst and hope for the best with this game...and I think rightfully so (I mean look at the record people).

So do I think the delay is a good thing? I could care less. Do I think Omega will be the 20th? Nope. A week later? Maybe. The week after the week later. Probably.

If that upsets you, then this delay is definitely a bad thing, but if you want Delta for another 3 weeks, then you are in luck.

Prophet

< Message edited by Nexus... -- 12/20/2012 17:37:22 >
Epic  Post #: 5
12/20/2012 17:35:41   
Calogero

Time to go to Oz world 7 and see all the rage :D

I knew it was going to be delayed anyway so xD

Having a Signature is too mainstream
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
12/20/2012 17:36:42   
Ranloth
Banned

@xxmirxx
Yours shows for me:
quote:

12/20/2012 22:27:11

Whilst mine is:
quote:

12/20/2012 22:29:32

Obviously I didn't refresh the forum. Sorry for including pictures which you've missed out along with all the other formatting to make it readable and clear. >.>
AQ Epic  Post #: 7
12/20/2012 17:40:09   
xxmirxx

i did 2 minutes before you and i never post it before like this and i never wrote so only making of staff not me.
AQ Epic  Post #: 8
12/20/2012 17:41:50   
The Incredible Hulk
Banned

I'm quite disappointed.
I think that there will be another delay after its been 2/3 weeks ;/.
Epic  Post #: 9
12/20/2012 17:42:56   
DestruRaGe

Very bad news.

So only ppl that buy preorder and receives ticket can participate for golden yeti? Now thats very not cool...
Epic  Post #: 10
12/20/2012 17:43:19   
J.U.S.T.I.C.E.

How do we get promo pre-order pack?
AQW Epic  Post #: 11
12/20/2012 17:54:25   
The Astral Fury

Guys I like to apologize for my behavoir in the last thread, it's my brithday so I was really looking foward to it. A last a hope Omega will be great!
DF AQW  Post #: 12
12/20/2012 17:54:50   
Stabilis

This does not bother me at all.

*sits maniacally in a corner*
AQ Epic  Post #: 13
12/20/2012 17:55:51   
Rayman
Banned

Ok this little Update will come with the ticket and new seasonal rares. :3
AQW Epic  Post #: 14
12/20/2012 17:56:33   
spinutto

So, the delay was allegedly a last minute thing? ok, but if it was so, how come there is already a PRE-ORDER release for a update thats supposed to go live today?

Just sayin...
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
12/20/2012 17:56:50   
King Helios

And I really wanted us to win the first faction 2v2 of Omega...:(

< Message edited by King Helios -- 12/20/2012 17:57:05 >
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
12/20/2012 17:56:58   
Mother1

do you preorder with money or use actual points? Cause if it is with money only that stinks for those who brought points already.
Epic  Post #: 17
12/20/2012 17:57:19   
DestruRaGe

^Lol Void.

Hey theyre going to release "new seasonal rares" That means entirely new lvl 35 weaps
or old called new weaps?
Epic  Post #: 18
12/20/2012 17:58:10   
Angels Holocaust

I'd rather like the delay, we can get a 1000 dollar package for 50. The customers win in the long run.
Post #: 19
12/20/2012 17:58:16   
rene196

Arghhhhh.
WHY AM I NOT SUPRISED.
I AM SLIGHTLY AGITATED RIGHT NOW.
IT HAS BEEN 3 WEEKS
PLUS NOW A 4TH ONE.WHY DID THEY ANNOUNCE IT AT THIS TIME????

*runs into a wall and passes into a coma*

Mind your language please! ~Lycus

< Message edited by Lycus -- 12/21/2012 9:51:55 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 20
12/20/2012 17:58:19   
Ranloth
Banned

Pre-order will be in the system so once Omega goes live, you get both promos (at price of one) and a ticket that gives you chance to win the Golden Yeti. The system is easy to implement, pre-order that is, so it just saves in the AE Database and makes it ready on the release day.
AQ Epic  Post #: 21
12/20/2012 17:59:17   
Vegafire

DestruRaGe actually it is, those who stick by epicduel and support them instead of flaming them get this as compensation for the delay.

Fine by me i will be getting the ticket and both packages but will not be participating as with college im only active 5-6 Hours a day most which is about 500-600 Wins Most, Well that and i want to give you other people a chance ;)

#LongLiveEpicduel
#BlamePractel2012
#NeedMoreCoffee!

~Vegafire

The Frost Guardians
AQW Epic  Post #: 22
12/20/2012 18:00:28   
Mother1

On another note this is also good news for those who love grinding on NPC now you have more time to do so.
Epic  Post #: 23
12/20/2012 18:02:36   
Chosen 0ne
Banned

Thats fine. Take a couple of days off on christmas and stuff, stay healthy!

Edit: confused about the golden yeti thing.

< Message edited by Chosen 0ne -- 12/20/2012 18:03:00 >
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 24
12/20/2012 18:03:12   
The Astral Fury

Lol This is a good thing actually more bang for your buck more time. So will the new relase be the first week of Janauary?

Chosen" Me too can some one elaborate?

< Message edited by The Astral Fury -- 12/20/2012 18:04:28 >
DF AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= December 20, 2012 - Omega Announcement
Page 1 of 1112345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition