Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=OS= The Oversoul Review Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [Oversoul] >> Oversoul General Discussion >> =OS= The Oversoul Review Thread
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/28/2013 2:33:19   
Balu
Legendary AK!!!

Hello everyone. This thread is where you as OverSoul players get to give more feedback for the OS development team and try your talents at game reviewing.

So basically we thought it would be helpful for the OS dev team and the game itself and also fun for everyone if we had a place where people try to come up with an honest and polite review of OverSoul.

Below are a few bullet points you can work off of if you decide to post a review, in the form of questions you could try to answer (not mandatory but desirable):

• What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?
  • What is the object of the game and how do you play it?

Now it`s time for the more interesting parts, the ones where you give your personal, subjective opinions on the game:

• How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster?
  • Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why?
  • How is the gameplay difficulty, it`s learning curve?
  • How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept?
  • What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable?
  • What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation?
  • How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement?
  • How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?
  • How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?

Conclusion time:
  • How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?

If you decide to come up with a game review for OverSoul, remember to remain civil, polite and constructive in your posting. Also this thread is also a discussion one. Feel free to discuss each others reviews, give feedback and have fun.

< Message edited by James Lu -- 12/28/2013 2:33:19 >
  • AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
    2/8/2013 12:11:46   
    Mondez

As a start out I can tell you that I love OS. As a game it has a lot of potential and it is a unique concept that at the current stage that OS is at, I am somewhat enjoyed.

The gameplay is fluent and fun when you go against other players. There are bugs that would ruin gameplay, but it is fun nevertheless though there are some things that I frown upon though it is fixable at later stages. Boss battles are fun and intriguing, but right now a bit over excessive since the main features of the game like Elemental Weakness, Stats, and Swapping Battles haven't been implemented yet, but the main factor of my enjoyment in OS is of course the AI and soon to come Card Customization.

It is difficult to find a game that is enjoyable as this with a card battle system and a Pokemon like system of possessing and evolving monsters.

The animations in the game are great to its style and the music can be a bit repetitive, but so was Final Fantasy. I would recommend changing the music when we fight bosses so it would help engage the player more. On the side there are some repetitive animations as well with some characters, but like I said, OS is very unique to its style.

This game overall is enjoyable and there are players that would find the gameplay difficult though in my experience it took a couple of seconds to get used to the battle system. I hope to see OS grow with each release.

- Mon Dez
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
    2/8/2013 12:36:50   
    Megadragonknight

This is the thread where we can help to improve OS and give our honest review on Oversoul. Ok, time to give my review.

- The publishers of this game is Artix Entertainment. The developer of this game is Nulgath the great Archfiend and king of OS along with his team, Revontheus the artist of OS and apprentice of Nulgath, Dilligaf the coder of OS and master of Babarians , Klunk the coder of OS and king CRUSHER of orges , Warlic the tester/coder of OS and master of archmage and Rolith the coder/tester of OS and EBIL knight.
    - The object of the game is to help fulfil Nulgath and his teamates' dream of creating a game they want. I play Oversoul with my skills, strategy and some luck depending on the draw of the deck/cards.

- Dont really know how to answer this question but i find the gameplay to be rewarding because i felt that Oversoul is such a unique game, a game which i always thought of, catching every characters and gain their power. Oversoul is the game which attracts my attention! Able to possess character and use them for training. This is rewarding for defeating every monsters and possessed them.
    - The gameplay is good but it can still improve if we have more gameplay update like card customization, artefacts.
    - The gameplay is simple.
    - I have no clue about this question.
    - Honestly, i have no thoughts.
    - In my opinion, its AWESOME. The song in the battlefield and lobby totally fits in Oversoul!!
    - Honestly, sometimes is fun when you hunt for character and sometime is boring because we need to fight a lot of times to level up to 20. However, with exp boost being released last week, the game improved but it can still improve if we get more releases like storyline and quests although it is still in beta testing.
    - The game always appeal to me because i get to play many different characters and also to train and get stronger in OS so that one day, i will be the top OS player!!
    - Can't compare to other games since OS is still in beta testing but OS is completely a very unique game with many new, interesting and exciting releases like quests, hunting characters and many more!! OS is a game which allow us to possess every characters except Treasure Chest we fought something which other games never does.

Overall, the game is really fun, interesting and exciting. Since OS is the first AE game recommended for 13+ players, i felt that every player who are 13+ should get to play Oversoul including those who never have Artix master account. Also, Oversoul should not have bosses being so extremely challenging otherwise the players would enrage and may eventually quit OS if every boss are to be OP like Lich, Witchblade and Vergil of fiend. It should make it less OP but challenging so then the players would be satisfy and won't thought of quitting. This is my overall honest review for OS. I believe Nulgath and his team will make the game a huge success in the future as i can tell they are putting in a lot of effort developing and updating Oversoul. I have faith Nulgath will have his dream come true if he puts his soul and mind into it.

< Message edited by megaknighthero -- 2/8/2013 14:18:30 >
    Post #: 3
    2/8/2013 12:47:01   
    megakyle777

What happens when you cross Pokemon, Yuigioh, Video Games, Constant updates and enough characters to keep someone obsessed for weeks on end? Most would say you get a gigantic mess, but somehow it works in Oversoul. Curreny in Beta it is being Produced by Artix Entertainment and develped by the OS team of:

Nulgath (Project lead, animator and Archfeind, Devourer Of Souls, Ruiner Of Worlds, Defiler Of All That is Good And Pure, Dage Destroyer and Generaly Not a Very Nice Person)
    Revontheus (Artist and Apprentice to the former)
    Warlic (Coder and Archmage),
    Rolith (Coder and Person To NEVER Say Something Is Too Easy To)
    Diligaf (A barbarain with suprising musical talent) And
    Klunk (I am told he is Official Smasher and Klunker Of Things, and that he sometimes does music when not Klunking.)

While currently there is no clear objective to accomplish in Oversoul, Players can go hunting for new Characters to find and posess, Earn Gold and XP to level them up, and explore a few dungeions and Quests weither from the lobby opr the world map. Gameplay is based around a card based system where you charge a character's card element energy and use the energy to spend on your hand. Cards have 4 different types: Normal Attack cards, Unblockable cards, Sheilds that protect your health, and Special cards that can devastate your opponent if used right.

The Gameplay is relativly fast and a good pace, although battles slow the higher level and HP you get. The learning curve is steep but fair, save for the current state of some bosses which may massivly overpower the unprepared. While fun, since it IS in Beta it can get monotonus with little to accomplish yet save leveling and the odd quest. However plans for the game include such things as Artifacts that power up a character in one way but lessen another, the ability to customise card decks,
    Stats and a good storyline which sould liven things up. However, with this not yet applied they cannot be taken into consideration that much.

The music, graphics and animation are all top notch, although the art style may not be everyone's cup of tea. Music is quite well crafted and fits the themes of it's area apporpriatly. While there HAVE been some major lag issues on this computer, enough to be comented upon, they come and go in the space of a battle and may well be down to inadequate hardware more then the game.

Overall, Oversoul is a fun game for those why enjoy card based gameplay. Is it not for everyone, since it IS AE's first 13+ game, and it DOES have issues, but then any game in it's Beta would do. I would recomend playing, although to stay away from extended game sessions untill more gameplay mechanics are implemented, which occurs every Friday. Now if you excuse me I have to run away from a Ogre who is yelling that I blabbed about the music thing and plans to KLUNK me.

82/100.

quote:

Also this thread is also a discussion one. Feel free to discuss each others reviews, give feedback and have fun.

Tell me what you think of my review guys.

< Message edited by megakyle777 -- 2/8/2013 12:51:21 >
    DF  Post #: 4
    2/8/2013 14:09:09   
    dethhollow

Oversoul. This game was made by the Artix Entertainment, a team that was originally concieved with the desire for world conquest before splitting off between itself and a rival company, Ebilcorp. That's where the game was develouped in secret by Nulgath, Dilgaf, and Warlic of AE until the rights were won back by Cysero in a game of Chess Boxing along with 15 boxes of shrimp and a Brazillian cheeze grader. Ever since, the game has been constantly improving after a successfull nothing went wrong Stress Test *smile*

The gameplay itself is not exactly as fast paced as it could be due to the lack of an attack increase at higher levels. However, instead players can expect to evolve thier monsters to get better skills. Leveling up increases your health and levels don't carry over to your evolved form, but they can't make the game too easy. But more on that later....

The game itself is excelent, although there are a couple of junk cards that serve verry little purpose. You can either Charge, use cards to attack or defend, or draw a new hand. This means that much of your combos are random and give the player a good uncertain feeling in an otherwise consistant game. 2 attack cards will always do 2 damage. Players who figure out some more hidden mechanics of the game can usually trump newer players from the strategy aspect alone *look at how much your energy raises each turn. Wink* And you have to pay attantion to how much damage fards do compared to thier cost. As a standard, 2 energy will be used to deal 2 damage. Then there are the unblockable cards.... Most of the time, I never found myself using these. They deal 1 damage for 2 energy. Only in the rare instance of the foe having a counter or verry low health will you use an unblockable attack. While it may seem like a good idea to use one when your foe has a shield, unblockable cards do not effect the shield itself. Meaning you will just have to deal with the shield later. Then there are the boss fights that are being set on a new standard. The theme that really sells the game is that you can use any enemy you beat, meaning most monsters has to be effectively balanced to make harder fights possible. Bosses seem like they will be the exception. You will be able to posess them, but they are made redicuously overpowered for the sake of having a challenge. To keep balance you get a signifigantly weaker character than the boss you beat. I wish the staff could manage some other way of making bosses challenging without having to give us a watered down version of it for balance in PvP and PvE.... But the best I can come up with includes giving a player-deck using boss more energy and full recharge rate at the start of the match. It's something that will HAVE to be fixed later, but for now does not subtract from the game.

As for the difficulty, it's pretty easy if you use some common sense. Besides teaching players how to draw or charge energy *click the colored circle with a nomber/ click empty card space* there's not a huge load to force players to figure out. First time users may think they just have to wait out the timer to attack, but will probably quickly see the big "end turn" button they can click and put the pieces together. Other than *pay attention to how much energy you gain each turn. Wink* it's pretty easy to get into and most players will understand that dealing more damage in an unexpected combo is better than single attacks.

The main concept is that you can posess anything you beat in battle (most of the time.) So simple, and yet so awesome! Ever wanted to be a wolf and beat the crap out of knights? OVERSOUL!!! It's something I wish more games did. How many times did you find an enemy in an RPG with a cool design and wondered, "Why can't I be THAT thing!?!?" This is the answear. Although you still have the power of a nomad, it's still fun to play as one! Challenge yourself by fighting as the weakest thing in the game! Of course.... There are some frustrating parts about this........

Most of the really cool monsters are rare and hard to find, requiring hours of farming simply to show off what you've managed to get. It makes for a long-lasting game, especially if you don't know where this stuff is. Players have to ask each other where they get the cool stuff they're using. Most rare monsters can only be found in a specific area and have a horribly low appearence and capture rate.

The graphics are nice and stylized. Imagine AQW but closer up. Animations are also pretty good, but you will be seeing alot of the same ones. Jump slash, stab, slash upwards. If I had a nickel for every time a character had that combo, I'd have around 72 cents and a bag of maggot. Why? Because I actually love the maggot's animation! It's a base-level character, moves around differently, and is easilly the weakest thing in the game. But enough about that.... The awesome animations are usually saved for master characters whom, usually, you have to pay for. That may bug some players, but the game is free to play and does have to make a profit at the end of the day.

Conclusion time:

Overall, Oversoul is great for someone who wants to play something different and have a character that will stand out well. The more in-tune you are with the player base, the more secret characters you will be able to find. I personally love it, but it's not for the easilly frustrated.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
    2/8/2013 14:22:03   
    Beck

@megakyle
    I liked your summary of the game in the beginning, but I would spend less time talking about the developers.
    Also, I would divide my review up into sections (with a heading), and give a general score to each section (like, Combat: 4/5) just like other professional game review sites.

My quick review:
    Combat: 3/5
    Oversoul does have a unique combat system and it adds just the right amount luck to make battles interesting. The in-game tutorial does a good job of teaching new players how combat works, and after a few PvP or PvE matches, new players can pick up the basic strategies for each element easily.
    However, because the game is still in Beta, and many of the more interesting functions, such as Card Customization, Elemental Resistance, and Team Combat have not been released yet, the gameplay is quite tedious. After the initial excitement of playing each element has wore off, the combat loses some of its luster, and I often find myself using the same card-combos every match. Considering how many hundreds of battles it takes to level any character up to PvP quality levels, this can get rather dull. I often PvE on autopilot and can only get through it by watching TV, listening to music, or reading at the same time.

Music (4/5):
    There is only 3 soundtracks in the game: Lobby, Exploration, and Battle. They fit the mood of their respective activities very well. After long stretches of playing this game, I sometimes find myself humming the battle theme randomly throughout the day. However, there ARE only 3 songs, and after a while, most players just switch the music off because they get repetitive and annoying. I support what others said before, and wish there was a Boss Battles theme too.

Overall (4/5)
    The most rewarding aspects of the game right now are capturing extremely rare characters (like Earth Golem, Poison Drake, and Cosoma), evolving characters to Legendary rank, and the occasional challenging PvP match.
    The "gotta catch them all" allure is what kept me going back to the game initially; the training to legendary kept me playing, and the matches with awesome forumites made me stay.

AQW  Post #: 6
    2/8/2013 17:43:24   
    UnderSoul

With most characters, it gets dangerously close to a dress-up game. Legendaries prevent that as well as the more unique low ranks. There isn't much variety as the dominant elements are Shadow and Neutral. It still could do some more to earn the 13+ rating, but not everyone would be a fan of such ideas. Themusic is very good, but it could use some creepy dungeon music and different music for different rooms like solace, sleepywolf, and cellar. The battles ar a perfect mixture of skill and luck and it is vey organized for an MMO. With its great features and amazing community, I look forwards to Oversoul's future.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
    2/8/2013 20:04:32   
    Skurge
    The Dealer

The Great ArchFiend needs our help? Who would've known?

Get comfy, long post! Let's begin!:

• What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?:
      - OverSoul! is a PvP card-based action game. Nulgath [Miltonius as I like to call him] is the lead designer and artist. Nulgath
      works with coders, artists, and musicians which go by the names of Warlic & Rolith, Revontheus, Dilligaf, and Klunk!

• What is the object of the game and how do you play it?:
      - The main objective of this game could be one of many things. Collecting or "possessing" various characters could be one.
      Leveling certain characters to their prestigious Legendary forms could also be a goal or objective for many players.

Most objectives are earned through PvP or PvE battles. However with recent updates, exploring labyrinths have
      offered a different way for players to interact with the game and achieve certain goals.

• How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster?:
      - With limited Gameplay features, OverSoul does indeed "lackluster". Repetitive grinding in different areas of the map is the
      only way for one to actually advance in the game. With the recent EXP boost, Soul Gems users have been giving
      a fast and easy way to level and earn "cool" rewards. I'm not against EXP boost, but find that it can be easily abused (with
      the possibility of earning almost 500% more EXP and Gold.)

• Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why?:
      - Current gameplay is restricted to only map wandering, battles, and lobby waiting. A more diverse way of battling would
      be nice. I really liked the idea of a "DragonFable" style battle system.

• How is the gameplay difficulty, it`s learning curve? :
      - Gameplay shouldn't be referred to as "difficult", but rather as "repetitive". Most PvE battles are amazingly easy. When
      leveling, it feels like a chore with such easy PvE! Learning how to use certain characters is rather easy. With the addition
      of element weakness and chaos cards, I'm sure it'll be fine.

• How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept?:
      - I believe it's really easy to understand the battle style and concept of OverSoul. With practically no storyline, it's not difficult
      to understand the concepts of the game.

• What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable?:
      - Like said above, the game can get quite repetitive. With an average time of 18.6 hours to level from Master
      to Legendary I have to admit the game can get quite long. Rare card hunting lengthens the gameplay time significantly also

• What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation?:
      - 110% awesome-ness! Music and animation/graphics are all amazing! Despite the slightly annoying re-charge sound,
      the sound's wonderful as well!

• How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement?:
      - Rewarding, yes. Fun, not so much. Legendary Characters are really fun to get and level. Getting a legendary character
      is kind of boring.

• How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?:
      - Yes! After the initial grinding, the game is so much fun. PvPing and friends list has allowed us [players] to really enjoy
      awesome characters!

• How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?:
      - I don't know much about card-based MMO's, but all I can say is: It's better than most games I've played.

Conclusion!
    • How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?:
      - Fun, diverse, and cool. OverSoul is quite different from most MMO's. I find it hard to judge a game while it's still
      in Beta stages, but with the passage of time and newer gameplay features I don't see why this game couldn't "be
      for everyone."

Thanks for reading! Cheers!
    - S

< Message edited by Scherzo -- 2/8/2013 23:14:10 >

The ArchFiend Needs Your Support.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
    2/10/2013 0:00:48   
    Combat dummy

What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?
    The game is called Oversoul and it is published by Artix Entertainment and the developers go by the names: Nulgath, Rolith, Klunk, Warlic, Revontheus and Lord Dilligaf.

What is the object of the game and how do you play it?
    Currently, the object of the game is to defeat different creatures and possess their soul. All you have to do is battle enemies in PVE and capture them.

How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster?
    The gameplay is very slow because there is a long griiiind involved with leveling and evolving which are also lackluster because the player does not accomplish anything by doing so. Sure, your evolved character inherits a new card or 2 and may recieve a slight upgrade in design, however that is not enough incentive to take the plunge (So-to-Speak) because new characters are constantly added that require no leveling/evolving with clones of, or better cards than other characters that need to be leveled up. It is rewarding when you are acknowledged as the first to get a new character, or to achieve level 20 on a character before anyone else, but that is very short-lived.

Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why?
    The gameplay is okay for an early phase, however once the multi-character battle function is introduced, it will make the gameplay in battles much more exciting and involving.

How is the gameplay difficulty, it`s learning curve?
    There exists a difficulty with low level characters and the most recent bosses (as of February 9, 2013) however, other than that, everything is very easy to beat. One can only wonder how simple the game will become when card customization is released and monster AI still has not been enhanced on a personalized, per level scale.

How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept?
    There is not really a concept to get used to, login>Click Map>Navigate>Explore>Fight>Win>Possess. There are no complexities involved, and actually, thats how games should be, for kids. However Oversoul is said to be targeted at an older audience, so there should be some sort of rigor/challenge/complication involved in the process.

What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable?
    Currently, there is no storyline, thus the only objective is aimlessly collecting characters, many of which will be inventory fillers, and hoping for a challenge. Most of the game centers around power-leveling to 20 just to have bragging rights that are unclaimable because in-lobby health bars are inaccurate, and a level 1 has the same card functionality as a level 20, no diversity is involved, thus, a player is just wasting time.

What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation?
    Sounds: Repetitive and Annoying, the mute button is a good friend. The music is top-notch. The Graphics are impeccable. The animations are good the first time around, but most characters have no originality, which I can understand.

How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement?
    Its fun to evolve into a cool looking character, and the new look and accumulated gold are rewarding, but there needs to be some added perk than just that.

How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?
    Not really, because spawn rates for some characters are very low, doing 100s of battles without even 1 encounter really irks some players. The release ritual only compensates for one day play at most for some because of how often new characters are added that overshadow previously released ones.

How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?

This is the first of its kind in my book. Aside from Pokemon. In Comparison with it, Oversoul lacks the core story element and inevitable challenge Pokemon and games like it present. It has milestone battles that require you to train up and that are not accessible immediately when you begin the game. Oversoul on the other hand has no requirements for anything.

How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?
    I feel this is a very good game so far and it really owns up to the reputation it accumulated way before if was officially released. It is definitely not for impatient people who are not willing to battle constantly to get the best characters AKA children. It is more for an older audience since it does require you to have some sort of dedication.

< Message edited by Combat dummy -- 2/10/2013 0:03:04 >

Stay Frosty!
    ~Combat dummy (Raptor Blu)
    DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
    2/11/2013 11:56:25   
    Vagaran

Let's see...
    Nulgath: Artist and lead of OS
    Diligaf and Klunk: Makes music for OS
    Revontheus: Apprentice of Nulgath and artist
    Warlic and Rolith: Coders
    Company: Artix Entertainment (main head = Artix)

I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!
    Current object: Catch characters and have fun testing out different techniques/combos.

Now it`s time for the more interesting parts, the ones where you give your personal, subjective opinions on the game:

It's rather slow, boring, loooooong time leveling and a little luck based. It takes quite some time to get up to 20 without XP boost, even with 200% boost it still takes some time not very long but still. It's luck based since you may need a specific card to finish off the opponent that you may not draw, it's kidna annoying but luck is impossible to not add...

It's decent but tag-team battles will make it more interesting!

It's hard to learn in the beginning, but later on you'll learn it. I admit I was lost on how to play in the begining since I didn't know you had to click on the empty card places to draw more cards.

Considering OS is aiming at an older audience, so when travelling on the map there should be those random encounters, it shouldn't be like 1 encounter every 4 second but an encounter once in a while. It's also easy to battles once you learn how to do it, I believe there should be a difficulty button added to increase the AI strength, the more difficult, the more XP and Gold is gained!

Well currently we are in Beta so kinda hard to say...

I really like the sounds and music. Diligaf and Klunk did a great job making this music and I feel like the theme of OS makes a battle sound more like a challenge. It's 100% epic and awesome at ONCE, gotta say Diligaf and Klunk did they're best to make this awesome song for OS.
    Graphic: Very good job on this (Warlic did this I think?), I love the graphic, it's very good and makes the characters look so detailed.
    Animation: Some animations are rather lame *cough*Abberant the exiled 5 hit combo*cough* and others are rather awesome. Pumpkinlords 3 hit combo is pretty awesome made but his 2 hit is also great. He is only 1 out of many characters who got a pretty good combo that "matches" his type.

It could use some improvements, it turns repetetiv to kill X amount of enemies to reach X levels, maybe adding something like the Bosses gives more XP than normal enemies would and a difficulty button as I said above.

How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?
    I don't think game is appearling after hours of grinding to reach level 20 for one characters, it's too repetetiv and boring to get it to 20, I usually take a long break from lv grinding once I get one character to 20.

How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?
    OS is a rather special game, it involves concepts like possesing characters instead of "buying weapons and such" which is what most games are like. Instead of buying weapons and such, you possess (or buy) characters, all of them is from different elements that is weak to a certain other element. It's like pokemon just without the storyline (yet).

Conclusion time:
    How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?
    The game is simply awesome, the art is great, the strategy it will require in the future when it's fully complete will only make it MUCH better and more funny to play. I can't wait too see major features such as (possible Guilds), Leaderboards, Artifacts, Elemental resistance, stats and more quest, I believe anyone can play it BUT it is more aimed at 13+ players. Oversoul definitely got a future in AE, I will probably even spend the most time on OS, it got a bright future.
    AQ DF MQ Epic  Post #: 10
    2/11/2013 16:46:49   
    Dannish
    Banned

What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?-Oversoul, made by Nullygath, Revonthesus, Kulnketh, Rowlith, Warlick, and Diwigwaf.
    What is the object of the game and how do you play it? It's like Pokemon. You choose the first slave, and if you've played Pokemon, fill the blanks.

How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster? I find the gameplay nice. It's rewarding and a the pace is optional depending how much time it takes you to do something.
    Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why? Good, but the infinite energy.... This needs improvement, because I basically got killed in 2 turns because of some infinite energy hacks made by the enemy.
    How is the gameplay difficulty, it`s learning curve? If you read above, it can be challenging. But, when you get the hang of it, it's simple.
    How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept? Quite simple if you're smart.
    What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable? I dunno.
    What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation? Great Great Needs different male faces, if you know what I mean, and animation is great.
    How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement? Depends. If you're grinding for hours and trying to level up someone, tedious. Otherwise, it's fun.
    How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why? Still fun. Why? You must live under a rock. There are like 50+ characters to catch!
    How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison? If you've read some of the previous posts, it's a mish-mash of some ideas. Quite original.

Conclusion time:
    How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not? I like the game. People who like strategy, and know how to speak English. Also, if you won't freak out over partial nudity.
    Ya, I didn't put work into this.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
    6/19/2013 19:30:34   
    DeathGuard

What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?AE(Artix Entertainment and the OS Developer Team conformed by Nulgath(Miltonius Pool), Revontheus( Bill James), Klunk, Dilligaf, Rolith and Warlic.

What is the objective* of the game and how do you play it?To offer the players entertainment and I play it freely and without hesitating to be the best(defeating all players).

How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster? A good one, I find it rather regular
    Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why?It is not good, but neither bad, it could have some fixes. I suggested the limit on cards in CC due to some powerful cards being abused: Retribution, Death Flow and Corruption.

How is the gameplay difficulty, it`s learning curve?Not really, reaching lvl 20 is quite exhausting without having boosters and free players complain about it. Lvling should be easier to offer players a chance to get higher player characters just as SGs characters.

How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept?A bit hard, when you don't have boosters, that is.

What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable?It still has some more content(story-wise) to have an opinion on this.

What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation?Amazing and enjoying.

How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement?The excitement for getting different characters is fun but due to lack of story or release content, it feels empty. When new areas and strong bosses are released, the lvling of characters would be rewarding.

How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?No, as said in the past question, it becomes empty to just lvling characters unless you really desire that character.

How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?I can't compare OS with other game sadly.

Conclusion time:
    How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?Yes it is playable for everyone.

< Message edited by DeathGuard -- 6/19/2013 19:37:37 >
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 12
    6/19/2013 21:16:07   
    kise2

@Deathguard
    I dont agree with you when you say those cards are being abused, cards are being abused but retribution and death flow aren't very good. I think how hard it is to lvl up should be the same as well because it is an awesome feeling getting a character to 20 and they already addressed the issue with giving out x-boost, however I feel that you should get more gold per battle or make cards in cc easier to get because I used over 1,000,000 gold and 20 sg's in cc packs alone. It would be really hard to get that kind of gold without x-boost so free players are really missing out.

I really like the christmas music by the way but the other music is pretty repetitive.

AQW Epic  Post #: 13
    6/19/2013 21:34:39   
    DeathGuard

@Kise2: You aren't the only one who has spend big amounts of gold or sgs :P I have spend near 600k gold now and 52 SGs to have the 3 first decks complete and should spend 100k more trying to complete the Neutral Series, it is a big hit and I know it should be easier but they only think in the perspective of people having boosts, not the ones who doesn't have them.

Cards can be abused if you know how to use them. x5 corruptions are enough to get the heck out of you and Death Flow with Neutralize can literally take advantage of you without charging so much.

About lvling, I normally need 4 days with 5-6 hours each day to get lvl 20, but that isn't the case for free players, when I didn't have boosts, it took around 2 weeks of farming to achieve it. Remember not all have x-boosts, they should give free players a chance to lvl up easier too not only SG players.
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 14
    10/9/2013 15:23:40   
    legion of souls

The gameplay is quite slow at times, in almost all battles you and your opponent have to charge until around 19.

It's great, but when you play it for more than an hour or two it does get a wee bit boring.

In all honesty, it's waaaaay too easy. I'd like there to be more strategy.

Like I said before, it is very easy to get used to this game. :)

We really do need a story to have some excitement.

Just great 9/10, Whoever did the music deserves a grammy.

The rewards are absolutely amazing, whether it's evolving one of many characters, or capturing that pesky Mana Guardian!

It is very appealing indeed, due to the intricacy of the battles and moves, along with the overall awesome visuals.

I know people might hate me for this but, I really do think this is a better version of the newer gen pokemon games.

Conclusion time:

Anyone who loves card or strategy games should definitely pick this up! I don't really see any reason for the game to be 13+. The level of "violence" is exactly like other AE games which are rated E for everyone. :)

< Message edited by legion of souls -- 10/9/2013 15:27:55 >

AQW Epic  Post #: 15
    12/28/2013 9:06:32   
    Assassin01

I think since Nulgath killed us and we're oversouls now the objective will be to get revenge at some point and possess him but the game is still young-ish so for now I think our aim is to amass as many powerful creatures as we can in order to face him and his followers. I've always assumed we'll be pitted against his 'generals' I guess; Rev, Diligaf and other close followers. I personally don't play PvP, I love the fact that we aren't forced to and we can focus on leveling in a PvE environment which makes it a bit better than ED IMO (not bashing ED as I love it,but I'm just making a comparison).

To be honest the gameplay is fun but before Warlic did what he did to slay the lag it really got boring at times. I really think that there should be a tier system in place in terms of gold and exp gain for example we should get larger amounts of gold for fighting Master and Legendary rank monsters as opposed to one random value in a range based on level. This would definitely help CC pack buyers as well as those who want the expensive characters and it would also make fights feel more rewarding. As it stands currently only those with tons of free time can thoroughly enjoy the gold based aspects of the game

OS is after all a turn based card game so I think we should accept it as that dynamic instead of trying to alter the gameplay too much. It is the only game of it's kind I play and I really love playing so I don't really have any recommendations for this.

I think it's quite easy to get accustomed to the gameplay which is great for new players. As for the difficulty while I like fights to be challenging I don't like it when they're impossible so if any attempt is made to improve the AI please baby-step us into it lol. I do appreciate the difference between boss fights and regular PvE AIs since I doubt anyone would disagree when I say boss fights are indeed a challenge.

Quite easy which I think benefits interested players from other AE games.

I find this question to be a bit weird because I never think of AE games as having an end so I can't really comment on length especially considering the fact that we haven't even begun to dive into the storyline of OS in any great detail. I will however comment on the length of fights which I find reasonable just as long as you aren't up against those pesky ice characters.

Who could hate the epic music of OS? The only suggestion I have for this is that we should be able to pick which sounds play while we're running around or in combat.

That really depends on whether I'm gold farming or aiming to possess a character. As long as I'm able to make at least 5k gold in a session I'm ok but sometimes the spawn rates of some characters *cough* Ogre Miaden,Ogre Shaman *cough* really upsets me especially after farming for several hours daily

Definitely. Since I took a long break from OS there's a lot of stuff I want (mainly CC packs...I'm a CC pack junkie now ) and a few characters.

Never played any other card games.

Conclusion time:

Overall I love OS but I am concerned about how long the current system will go on. We have over 200 characters yes,but how many unique card combos can you guys really make with each newly released character? I'm not trying to insult your creativity or anything like that but it's just something that I've been wondering about since I've returned. I personally feel OS has a distinctly darker tone than other AE games which I'm a big fan of so a mature-ish audience is good for it I think.

< Message edited by Assassin01 -- 12/28/2013 9:08:41 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
    1/25/2014 14:40:46   
    Riniti

Alright now, my turn. Hope you're ready for a long one. x)

What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?:
    -The game is called "Oversoul." It's a PvP - oriented game, based on Cards. The developers/publishers are Rolith, Nulgath, Warlic, Dilligaf, Klunk, and Revontheus.

What is the object of the game and how do you play it?:
    - The object of the game, as it is PvP based, is generally to become the most powerful character with the best cardset. However, there are also several other goals. There are dozens of different kinds of characters, and many try to collect them all. There are also some quests, which require you to perform different tasks in order to receive a new character. In addition, there are 'Dungeons,' where you can find unique characters, as well as 'Boss' characters in their lair. In general, the goal of the game is to collect all the characters, and become the most powerful Oversoul there is.

There are a few aspects of the play. To collect new characters, you have to find them- they could be in a shop, where you buy them, or they could be ones you have to encounter and battle. To collect a character by beating it, it must not be in PvP, but against the AI, finding them on different parts of the map, dungeons, etc. There are also characters that you obtain my leveling up a character to a certain level, allowing you to turn into a more powerful one. The chain is Apprentice to level 4 - Veteran to level 10 - Master to level 20 - Legendary. Currently, Legendary is the most powerful type.

In order to battle, in PvP or against the computer, you get five cards to choose from at the beginning of the game. Each card has different effects, and each cost energy. You obtain energy each round, according to the element you are. I.e. if you are neutral, you recover neutral energy. The energy cap is at 20. In addition, each turn you do not use cards or draw more card, you will boost the amount gained- your first turn, you start with 5 energy. After you are done, you will recover one energy, to 6. Then, you recover 2, 3, 4, and 5. Most players wait to use cards until they are at the 5-energy retrieval step. This leaves them with 19 energy. You play your cards, discard the ones you don't want, and then the next turn, you draw more cards.

How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster?:
    Currently, Oversoul is still early in development. It does not have a large amount of implemented features, which can make the game quite repetitive and tiring at times. In addition, leveling up in order to obtain a Legendary character- even if you have many EXP boosts- can take quite a while, at times frustrating users. It can be quite slow at times, and the rewards, some would say are not worth the amount of time and effort you use. However, I feel as though once more of the anticipated features, including a main storyline, the game will become much more rewarding and seem much faster.

Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why?:
    -The gameplay/ flow isn't really as smooth as it could be. It is, as said above, quite repetitive. The only battles you can have are PvP matches and by exploring on maps, dungeons, etc. While it has great potential, the gameplay can get a little boring. There are more features to be implemented, as said, but at the moment, it could be better.

How is the gameplay difficulty, it`s learning curve? :
    - The game isn't quite difficult, but again, repetitive. Once you get the basics down, you can apply them at any level, against any enemy. I suppose it's not quite difficult- you can learn what to do quickly, but the game itself is very time-consuming.

How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept?:
    - The concepts of the game are fairly easy to understand and get accustomed to. As there aren't too many complicated features yet, it doesn't seem very labyrinthine as one who just now made a character on EpicDuel might feel. There isn't anything terribly confusing, and you get used to it very quickly.

What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable?:
    - Once more, I'm afraid I must use the r-word. The amount of time spent on finding, and then successfully capturing, a rare character, or leveling a character to Legendary, can be very time-consuming and there isn't really anything surprising, making it seem even slower.

What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation?:
    - The sounds and music that the team have put together are really extraordinary, much better than other games I know. The music fits the mood of the situation, and is quite lovely. The graphics and animations, as well, are incredible, making the amount of time getting characters very much worth it.

How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement?:
    - It is quite rewarding, but it isn't often fun, unless you are fighting against a friend of yours. The game is essentially the same whatever you are doing. While it is rewarding to get that new rare character, it can become very dull in order to do so.

How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?:
    - Absolutely! In fact, it really takes multiple sessions in order to like the game- after that, you have had the time to get a character to a high level, allowing you to compete with other players who play the game, making fun competitions and rivalry. This, the PvP part, is one of the main reasons many play it so much, so they can show off their amazing characters and fight to see who is best.

How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?:
    - I have only played a few games similar to this, but this soars above the rest. As it does so already, when it does get the new features, it will be even more amazing, rewarding, and fun to play. Most card games tend to be based on luck- while this is lightly based on luck, it definitely requires skill and dedication as well.

Conclusion!
    How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?:
    - I thoroughly enjoy the game. As much as I love most AE games, this one sparks my interest the most, and it is very evident that it has a large amount of potential. It is for players who are willing to spend a lot of time on something, even when the rewards may not be as great as they might want. It is not for everyone at this stage, simply because of the repetition and time requirement of it. Many people would not enjoy the game yet, but once more features are implemented, I can sense that it is certainly going to attract a larger player-base.

Hope ye enjoyed this,

~Riniti
    Post #: 17
    11/10/2014 20:59:32   
    Gorillo Titan

Revive this.
    Post #: 18
    11/10/2014 21:47:34   
    The Jop

What is the name, who are the publishers and developers of this game?:
    The game is called Oversoul, and the developers currently working on the game are Nulgath, Warlic, Dilligaf, and Klunk.

What is the object of the game and how do you play it?:
    The object of the game is to collect characters primarily and then train them so you can use them against other players in PvP. You play it by going to battle against NPCs and attempting to possess everything you fight. Your cards rely on energy, and you charge more every time you click the charge button up to a cap of 5 per turn and 20 energy maximum.

How do you find the actual gameplay? Is it fast, slow, rewarding or lackluster?:
    It is fast at first and only with a good computer. When you have to do 606 battles to get to level 20 it can start feeling extremely slow, and on a slow computer the game and gameplay by extension will simply run slowly. The disparity of experience and gold gained by free players compared to players with X-Boosts can make things seem very slow for free players. What takes a player without X-Boosts 606 battles can be done by a player with maximum X-Boosts (that give 690% gold/experience) in under 100 battles.

Is the gameplay good, needing improvement? Why?:
    New features have to be added to attract new players and retain old ones. Elemental resistances, team battles, in-battle chat, stats, artifacts, etc.

How is the gameplay difficulty, its learning curve?:
    Quite difficult if you fight outside of Solace PvE at level 1. Most A.I. characters can do 1500 damage before a new player can, especially since they get the first turn. The tutorials need to be mandatory since they are easily missed and necessary to play the game properly, and they need to be updated since they are outdated.

How easy or hard it is to get accustom to the concept?:
    If you use a tutorial it's fairly easy, but otherwise people just have to guess how things like energy charging work which tends to make them frustrated and leave.

What are your thoughts regarding the length of the game, if applicable?:
    It's slow and repetitive unfortunately. There are very little quests to make the game more interesting. This is another area that needs gameplay development to improve instead of constant character releases.

What is your opinion on the sounds, the music, the graphics and the animation?:
    The high point of the game; they're all great. The downside is all these can drive away players with slow computers.

How fun and rewarding is a gameplay session? Needs improvement?:
    It's fun when fighting a friend, but training against A.I. can become a chore. It definitely needs some more interaction to make battles more interesting.

How do you feel after multiple gameplay sessions spread through a few days? Is the game still appealing after a lengthy period of time spent ingame. Yes? No? Why?:
    It's still appealing since I've been actively playing it for over 2 years.

How does it hold up with others similar concept games? Why is it better or why is it flawed in comparison?:
    I'm sad to say that I've been recently playing EpicDuel instead of Oversoul and I really prefer it. It has PvP like Oversoul, but so much more strategy and many more features so you actually interact in the game and enjoy it more. I feel pretty detached from my character in Oversoul, plus doing the same powerful thing every battle is often effective.

Conclusion:
    How do you find the game overall? Who should play it? Is it for everyone? Why? Why not?:

The game is fun to play but drives away many players at its current stage. It has great room for potential; if it had all the features that it planned added it would be an amazing game and easily my favorite. I hope these things can start to be added in the near future to revive Oversoul and make it really fun to play again.

< Message edited by The Jop -- 11/10/2014 21:51:18 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 19
    11/16/2014 15:51:07   
    Lord GrimDusk

I want to give this game good opinions, but there are so many things I'm against.

Okay, let's start off with Gameplay.

The gameplay is fine, no problems I have with how it is. There are things, however, that annoy me. The capture rate for some monsters is absolutely terrible, and micro-transactions to guarantee a capture, I don't feel, is the right way to. There is also, something that people have forgotten, this: This video demonstrates that at one point, Nulgath would allow you to bring multiple characters into battle. This would've been AMAZING! Imagine being able to bring an entire army of undead into battle! But, this feature was cut from the actual game! WHY?! Maybe it could go like you could have a certain amount of slots, and depending on the character's rank it would determine its value in points. Like Apprentice is 1 point, Veteran is 2, Master is 3, and Legendary is 4, and you can take up 9 slots. Also, why is it that the Computer always gets first turn?! Overall, gameplay is fine and doesn't need to be changed, though there are some changes that could improve it.

Next we have the Characters and Elements.

I'm getting this out of the way right now: Implement the Chaos element or get rid of it. You have had that since the game's beginning, and haven't done a thing with it. Now, on to the characters. First, too many Shadow characters. There are only 22 Earth characters as of now, and there are 90 Shadow characters. Now, another gripe I have is that some of the characters are either extremely overpowered, or extremely underpowered. Both Flesh Void and Blood Fiend (master) are the same element, same rank, yet Flesh Void is way more powerful. The characters should be balanced out. Also, a lot of the character art has oddly changed from what it was shown to be at first. But, that aside, some characters are just weird too, and they just don't fit. Characters such as Lepid and Maggot are what I mean, and Maggot actually has a master evolution! Why?! But that aside, the characters have no real identity, and are mostly mediocre.

Now, we have Releases.

One thing that differentiates Oversoul is its bi-weekly releases (for those who don't understand what bi-weekly means, this means once every two weeks). This, honestly, is not very understandable. Some people argue that "Oversoul's programmers are too busy with other AE games." This is invalid, as if Nulgath needed help, he should start trying to hire new programmers, as not only are they bi-weekly, but they are lackluster. The most recent release was the Turkonian release, and that is ONE character. You're meaning to tell me he is so low on programmers that he doesn't even have enough to program more than one character? Or is it that he cannot think of anything to release? Also, he released 15 characters at once in a release, and said he was releasing all the "bad boys." And, I believe him, as he isn't releasing any good characters anymore either. To be quite frank, the release are terrible.

Next, Micro-transactions.

It is in this section that Oversoul lacks the most. Yes, you can buy stuff in other games with real money, but Oversoul gives so much less. For 50$, you can buy a whopping 250 soul gems with 1 average character and 1 good character. You know what you can get in AQW for 50$? 14,000 AC's and multiple armor sets that come with it, along with the Mindbreaker class and Battle Wyvern pet. Some may argue that soul gems are more useful, but they aren't. Yes, you can guarantee a soul capture, but that's it. You can also buy a few characters and XP boosts, but again, that's it. Not only that, but the only way you could've gotten Nulgath himself is not through some epic boss encounter, but instead pay 50$ for him. And he's rare now, too, as in you can no longer buy him. Oversoul's micro-transactions are the most terrible thing, that in my opinion, bring this game down.

Finally, Story.

Oversoul has a tiny story of you dying, now go pick a body because we are and Oversoul. We have no backstory, and the only people with backstory are the 6 starter characters. This is extremely disappointing, as Nulgath is great at writing lore, yet does this game no justice.

So, in the end, Oversoul's problems outweigh its successes. The above fixes would really help the game become what Nulgath wanted it to be, and hopefully someone here agrees.

< Message edited by Lord GrimDusk -- 11/17/2014 6:53:00 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 20
    11/16/2014 16:18:10   
    ChaosRipjaw
    How We Roll Winner
    Jun15

The name of the game is Oversoul. The publishers are Artix Entertainment. The developers are Nulgath, and his faithful team, Revontheus, Klunk, Dilligaf, Rolith, and Warlic.

The object of the game is to collect characters, using cards to fight, in an effort to find a way to restore yourself to your old body and also to defeat the evil Archfiend Nulgath.

The actual gameplay is fast and engaging, but lag and the charging brings it down. After a while, in fact, its starts to become dull because the same process repeats itself over and over.

It's alright at the moment but it could use a lot of improvement. Implementing a better way for card customization (rather than just "add three cards") and character switching would brighten the gameplay very much. At the moment, the same character fighting PvE characters over and over again causes gameplay to be very boring.

The game might be confusing at first. For example, some players might not know that you are supposed to charge energy before using the attacks. The current tutorial is still in the Alpha phase version and needs to be improved and made more obvious than just a YouTube video.

It's actually very easy to get used to the concept. Charge, then use your attacks.

The length of each match is quick at low levels, then becomes slower. Combined with the dull PvE opponents, it can become very dull.

The graphics, sounds, and music are very good, but could use more variety (sounds and music). The animation of the multiple hit combos are literally all the same. Perhaps a random animation for a certain combo each time . . . ?

At the moment, the only gameplay that goes on right now is simply roving the land and hunting for characters. The new characters' rate of being found are far too low, and the capture rates are even lower. There needs to be a better way to capture new characters than just clicking "Explore." The same goes for leveling up characters.
    The process to earn gold also takes far too long. The fastest way (without X-Boosts) are trying to get Treasure Chests, and even then it takes too long. Quests to do might solve this.

No it is not appealing after a lengthy period of time. My point stands as before; it is too repititive.

In conclusion, Oversoul has the potential to become a great game, but it is currently hampered.

< Message edited by ChaosRipjaw -- 11/16/2014 16:33:52 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
    11/16/2014 16:27:23   
    The Jop

@GrimDusk
    Here's the story so far.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
    11/16/2014 17:52:03   
    Chaosyn

At low levels the game is fast,the higher your character level though,the slower and more drawn out the game becomes. Possession rates are far too low,as is the gold and exp,so it's not as rewarding as it should be.

It is good,but tedious. Characters appear too infrequently,and captures almost always fail (without a SG) on better characters (if you even find them). The encounter pools are so overfilled with characters that finding what you're looking for can be impossible at times.

It doesn't get difficult until you use higher level characters or rarer characters..,Then you can expect some enemies to pull out combos and attacks that will butcher you all but immediately. But that isn't a bad thing in and of itself,it's the drawn out game speed that kills the mood more than anything...

PVE= Charge to 19 and attack PVP= do whatever your opponent is doing. Fairly easy there.

The length of individual matches can be slow,agonizingly so,at times. Seeing as there's no end to the game itself though...THAT is acceptable....for now.

I love the graphics. The combat sounds need a LOT of work,too basic and generic. Music is good,but gets repetitive fast when you're stuck grinding somewhere.

A gameplay session is only as rewarding as the time you put in and the goal you have. It'll take a long time to save up gold for a character,a VERY long time. Gold needs boosted for sure. I don't have a problem with experience gains,those SHOULD be slow...You're using another person's body as your own...Not an easy task.

After multiple sessions I feel drained and aggravated...The gains are NOWHERE close to the work you have to put in (yes, WORK). With some characters you can grind for DAYS and see no level gain,you can grind for DAYS or even WEEKS and not encounter the character you're looking for,the amount of time it takes to get the gold to buy characters is insane,and there's always the chance that you'll NEVER find,or even possess the character you're looking for.

All in all it IS a good game,but one that NEEDS improvement and lots of it....and needs more people working on it to get what it needs.
    MQ AQW  Post #: 23
    11/16/2014 19:48:06   
    forumlogin

So to summarize most of the starting questions into my own little questions, and throw in a few reviews of my own...

Starting with the good.

Concept:
    I got hooked almost immediately. As a longtime fan of Pokemon and Artix Entertainment and a sometimes fan of Yugioh, I guess I should have expected that. Planning for probabilities while accounting for energy consumption and maintenance is really fun, and different elements having different ways to string together their moves makes for some interesting long-term and short-term battle plans. The tutorial was a good help, though as per usual I didn't like listening to the voice-over, helpful though it may have been.

Aesthetics (music, art, graphics, animation):
    Music is awesome. It gets repetitive, but I always like to leave it on nevertheless. It's a bit disappointing that there's no ingame volume control so I can turn it down while leaving my own computer's sound up (probably to listen to music AND the sound of things being chopped up at the same time) but it's nice to have background music to almost literally anything, even if there could be more variety. The art being similar to AQW's is kinda wonky, but then I've never been much of a fan of AQW's style, so that's personal preference. The animations are neat, though; combo attacks are always fun to use and the spells are still interesting.

Gameplay:
    Gameplay is really fun and fast at the beginning, when everything is new and you're still working out the kinks of the game. Even partway in, it's still great because you're starting to discover the full potential of everything in there. Leveling up is fun and isn't too difficult if you're not focusing too hard on it and instead pursuing other goals; same with gold accumulation. Even though buyable characters cost way too much, it's not much of a problem.

However, it gets a lot more grindy as the game goes on, especially as you start searching for very specific characters. You begin to realize that every element's characters are near carbon copies of each other, so leveling each one individually becomes less enjoyable. Finding the character you want is almost impossible; actually catching it even more so. The capture rate is pathetic, whatever it actually is. I don't know if I can finish either of the Orc or Ogre quests because I don't know whether I'll ever see their respective targets, let alone catch them. I have used more combo attacks than Ken and Ryu in their long lives (this is an exaggeration). I have literally spent days chasing Water Peasants, Shadow Mercs, and fricken' Bats, let alone actually rare characters like the Weteye and Frost Dragon (no sight of either yet--these are not exaggerations). I have fought more Barbarians, Paladins, and Water Fairies than I have Rattatas and Geodudes, and unlike the latter I have no option to run.

Speaking of running, that's something Oversoul really needs. It's hard enough having to sift through literally hundreds of enemies to find and catch the one you want; having to fight every single one of them makes the game that much more of a grind.

Accumulating gold isn't so bad if you're just trying to level up characters, but it takes way too much gold to buy anything. The pricing system seems geared towards X-boosters, and I'm guessing towards players with MULTIPLE X-boosts, because a 10% boost isn't a lot with the current drop rate, and although higher-leveled players probably get more gold, at the levels I've achieved I haven't seen anything drop more than 160, and I can't imagine it getting all that much higher. That's at the high end; I probably average around 100 at most, less when I'm training my lower-leveled characters.

Character and battle screens typically lack information. On character screens, I can't see how much EXP I need to level up, and how much EXP I have already accumulated (only get a general estimate with the EXP bar); I can't see whether or not I need Soul Gems to evolve a character as the icons and ranks tell nothing (and you can bet this has led to quite a few disappointments); I can't read card effects without a magnifying glass; and I wouldn't know which levels characters evolve if I hadn't checked the wiki and/or evolved several of them already, assuming they all have the same level up requirements. On battle screens, I can't check what charge I'm at, the effects that have been placed on me or my opponent, whether or not I already possess or have previously possessed the base form of my opponent, so on and so forth. I would like to see the catchrates for enemies on-screen too, but I feel like that might just have the effect of making me more annoyed.

Soul Gems:
    I don't know if these are the reason the capture rate is so low, but the way these things are used is...annoying, to say the least. A personal problem for me, though not that big of an issue, is locking off Master Evolutions of many characters (Ninjas, Squires, Ghypsophila) to Soul Gems. I'd much prefer a one-time upgrade for these sorts of things, rather than having to watch Soul Gem supply, especially if I'd plan on using them to actually catch things--6 Soul Gems is over $1.50 per evolution. Even if a one-time upgrade doesn't come with guaranteed catching, or even an improved catch rate (which should be implemented with or without payment), it would still be a much more appealing deal :/
    What makes these really annoying, IMO, is that they're almost forced upon you by low catchrates. If you're hunting something, if you don't have Soul Gems you might as well not bother, because <10% chance of actually finding the character, on top of the <25% chance of actually catching it (both generous estimates), means you're probably wasting your time. That's not an incentive to buy Soul Gems, that's an incentive to play a game that doesn't force you to grind for hours to achieve everything except your actual goal of catching something--and, heck, even with Soul Gems you'd be lucky to actually find the character you want to catch in the first place.

Glitches:
    There's only about 2 main ones, and they're both basically the same, and they both entirely kill the gaming experience: Lag and freezes. An hour or two in and there's a 2-5 second delay every turn, and each attack takes noticeably longer to perform. Alternatively, at literally any point while I'm playing, the enemy could just fail to move for entirely no reason, and remain stuck until I log out. If there's a destick button, I'm not aware of it, and the game desperately needs one.

tl;dr fun and addicting game, even several days in when it becomes a grindfest; biggest problems are catchrate and lag, both of which plague every aspect of the game; too much grinding for not enough reward after the first week or so.
    DF MQ  Post #: 24
    11/17/2014 6:51:51   
    Lord GrimDusk

@The Jop okay... that's all we get? After all the time we waited for the official release, we get a tiny box of text?
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [Oversoul] >> Oversoul General Discussion >> =OS= The Oversoul Review Thread
    Page 1 of 212>
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition