Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Then, it Fireballed.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> Then, it Fireballed.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/28/2013 19:19:47   
abcghimno

Huh. Anyway, I decided to write this as a backstory for my AQW character. Unfortunately, if I ever include NPCs, then they may end up being a little out of character. I'd like for you to alert me of this in the discussion, and I'll try to correct it.

The link to the discussion is here

Then, it Fireballed.

Prologue: Crystals

There were feathers and mana potions and alchemy ingredients scattered everywhere. The little girl fluttered up using her wings to look around, but couldn't see anything else.

"Mo-om, I can't find it!"

Her mother walked in the room herself, raising an eyebrow at the mess. "When did it get this disorganized?... I'm sorry, Saivel, you can go outside and play with Caraxa and Silvia."

"Caraxa's studying with Dad and Silvia's no fun."

"Saivel, don't say that about your sister."

The little girl was about to reply, but at her mother's stern look she lost her fight and gently glided down. Saivel stomped outside and slammed the door just to emphasize her anger. Silvia was no fun though. She refused to play Balance on the bridge because it was 'too dangerous', and whenever Saivel wanted to play by herself, she'd always threaten to tell Mommy.

Saivel sighed and decided to go to her room instead. She jumped up to her bed and kicked her feet back and forth. Caraxa wouldn't finish studying for another five minutes, and that was far too long.

She sighed and flopped on the bed with her stomach, her face squashed against the fluffy blanket.

"Uuuuuuuh...." The little girl made a monotone sound, not really expecting it to ease her boredom. Finally, she decided she'd try some magic. Mommy and Daddy always told her only to do it while studying, but they were stupid.

Saivel blinked. No, they weren't stupid. They were... A child's vocabulary couldn't produce the word she was looking for. She pouted at no one in particular and then held her hand out, a fair distance from her face.

"Come on, come on..." In the palm of her hand, a small spark jumped. Saivel brought her head up in excitement, and the fireball finally fleshed itself out. It produced a sort of distant heat; not physical but magical in a strange manner. Suddenly Saivel's boredom seemed very far away.

People never tire of watching fire, but another quality made Saivel's fire unique. It was the deepest purple you'd ever see. Interestingly enough, Saivel's eyes were the exact same color.

*~*~*~*

Saivel was vaguely aware of Caraxa shaking her awake. She blinked a few times and then opened her eyes fully.

"Saivel! Wake up! We can play Balance now!"

"Caraxa, I'm awake," she replied groggily, a bit annoyed at her rude awakening, but pleased her sister could play now.

Saivel got up, using her hands to push the rest of her body into a sitting position. She looked down at her hand and strangely noticed a purple crystal there. Excited at this find, which was also quite shiny, she showed it to Caraxa. "Look!"

Caraxa was automatically in awe of the small stone. She took it from her sister's hand gingerly and smiled. "It's really pretty! Where'd you find it?"

"I don't know." Saivel paused to think about this, but with the temptation of going out to play, it stood no chance. "Let's go play Balance!"

"Yeah!"

The two twins sped off, flying as quickly as they could, while the third in their triplet walked up the stairs to study with her father.

"Caraxa! Saivel! Be careful!" Silvia called, but the two didn't hear her. Even if they had, they wouldn't have cared.

The moment Saivel and Caraxa reached the stairwell, they had to stop flying (they'd been getting tired, though neither of them would admit it). As they walked downwards, they playfully poked and teased each other. In the end, they did play Balance on the bridge. It was a good game, and they agreed that they tied. By the time they decided going home would be a good idea, it was already quite dark.

Caraxa let out a jumble of sound to show her displeasure, but Saivel had an idea. She began to spark a fireball in her hand, which easily grew into a full one. While she'd been working on this, Caraxa had already befriended a firefly, who'd agreed to lead them home.

"A firefly?" Saivel, fascinated with little creatures and shiny things, automatically fawned over the kind little bug.

"Well, you made a fireball," Caraxa retorted. "Why is it purple anyway?"

Saivel shrugged. "I don't know. Daddy said they were supposed to be red 'n' orange, but it probably just means I'm special."

Caraxa pouted. "Are you saying I'm not special?"

"No, you're special too! You could convince the firefly to help us!" Saivel beamed at what they both thought was an acceptable compromise.

They both nodded their heads and, using the light provided, walked back home along the path. However, upon arriving back home, Saivel realized that she had no idea how to put out the fireball in her hand. Since she was wary of getting it too close to the house, Caraxa knocked on the door.

"Mommy, Daddy, we're home!"

Their mother opened the door with relief on her face. "Oh! We were getting worried." She paused at the fireball in Saivel's hand. "Saivel? Why..."

"I made it to give us a light, but I don't know how to put it out!" Saivel made her voice as whiny as possible. Her mother laughed.

"Look, just... make the fireball not there."

Saivel looked at her, clearly confused, but tried to concentrate on making the fireball stop existing. It did the trick, but in her hand now sat another purple crystal. Saivel's mother looked at it, her expression blank and unreadable.

"Huh? Ooh! It's a shiny crystal!" Saivel was excited and jumped up and down, but at her mother's expression, stopped. "Is there something wrong, Mommy?"

"No, honey, there's nothing wrong. I'll just take the crystal for now, Saivel."

"Okay," Saivel replied, clearly disappointed.

"Mommy just wanted to take a look at it, okay? She'll give it back to you tomorrow." Saivel's mother gently cleared the hair out of the little girl's face and kissed her forehead. "Now go inside and eat your dinner."

< Message edited by abcghimno -- 3/29/2013 12:58:09 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 1
3/29/2013 12:38:23   
abcghimno

Wow, I wrote a new chapter. In Microsoft Word, the previous one is three pages long, and this is seven. There's a lot of dialogue here.

Part I: Strangers

Saivel never did get back her crystal, but it was far out of her mind by the time she had finished her dinner. In fact, she practically never did remember it until the time she turned sixteen. Her mother and father had gathered the triplets around and told them that they would be able to leave their house and go somewhere.

Surprisingly, Saivel… did not want to go. Something made her stay there, binding her there for two months while Silvia and Caraxa left. She stayed until a foreigner made his way into the small town they lived in.

Saivel was in town, buying some ingredients for her father in the evening. It was then that the stranger, with his messy dark brown hair and green eyes, arrived. He was clearly lost; not only that, he was clearly confused. Looking around frantically, he ended up bumping into the small stall her father sold potions at.

“Is there something you need?” Saivel’s father asked, remaining polite. The stranger blinked at him a few times, needing a moment to take in his gigantic wings.

“Um, I’m sorry, I’m rather lost, I was on my way to Arcangrove and…”

“Ah. What’s your name?”

“Why do you ask?” Automatically the stranger’s hand shifted towards his sheathed weapon. Saivel, wanting to keep a fight from happening, jammed her purchase into her knapsack and ran straight over to her father’s stall, wings stretched out protectively.

“No, no, it’s alright, Saivel.” She sighed and brought her wings down, stepping aside. The stranger gave her an odd look, but his hands moved away from his sword.

“I’m sorry… it’s just that I’ve been so used to people meaning it badly.” The stranger smiled and stuck out his hand, presumably to shake. “My name is Kaime Nebi.”

“My name is Threndal Athen. Yours is a strange name, isn’t it? Where do you come from?” Threndal accepted the hand shake. Saivel was annoyed with how friendly her father was and still watched Kaime with suspicion.

“To be specific, I come from Swordhaven.”

“Ah, nice place, isn’t it? In fact, I considered sending my daughter there!” Threndal reached out and patted Saivel’s back in a friendly manner.

“Dad!” She recoiled automatically at his touch and walked away.

“Oh, so you’re his daughter?” Kaime looked at her and then at her father. “Well, the hair and face is definitely alike.” He paused and took a second glance at her eyes. “Huh, it’s pretty rare to see purple eyes, isn’t it?”

Saivel thought this over. Yes, it was very rare. She wasn’t even sure how she had purple eyes. Her mother and father both had brown eyes, and as far as she knew her ancestors had brown eyes.

“Yes, I suppose it is very rare.” While she had been thinking, her father had continued the conversation. “Anyway, even though this conversation has been delightful, you did say that you were on your way to Arcangrove, didn’t you?”

“Ah, yes. I…” Kaime’s reply was cut short by some background noise, sounding similar to a wolf howling, but with a more catlike voice. Threndal frowned, and Saivel shuddered. The noise was familiar.

“Used to be, those Redhines would leave us alone as long as we left them alone. Now, I guess times are changing for the worse.”

Kaime reached for his sword and managed to firmly grasp the sleek black hilt before Threndal stopped him. “No, I’d recommend not to go up against those Redhines. It’s hard enough to take out one on its own, but if you want to go against the lot of them, you’ve got a death wish. The moment you hurt one of them, the whole group is on you.”

The same howl broke through the background. “We don’t have an inn here, but you can stay at my house.” Saivel considered protesting at the idea, but realized that if Kaime stayed outside, the Redhines would surely find and kill him. Threndal quickly cleared all of his merchandise off of the stall counter.

“Thank you, Mr. Athen.” Kaime bowed politely while Saivel glowered at him. There was just something she didn’t like about him.

Suddenly, it was dark and quiet. The moon was covered by a cloud, and there were no lights on when the Redhines decided to stir up trouble. Saivel easily formed a fireball in her hand. Quickly, Kaime realized that it was there, and, in fact, quite purple.

Saivel looked at him oddly, noticing how he tensed up. “Is there something wrong?” she asked as they walked home.

“No, nothing…” He kept a close eye on the flame as they walked. Are none of these people aware of what Chaos is doing in these times? he briefly asked himself, gritting his teeth to keep himself from instinctively declaring she was an agent of the foul element. Even odder was that when she extinguished the flame, a crystal dropped into her hand, which she gripped tightly and protectively.

Threndal looked at him for a moment, seeming protective of his daughter, but thought nothing of it. He showed Kaime to the room Caraxa had once lived in and told him they would be having dinner soon, but if he didn’t want to come, it was perfectly fine.

Kaime thought for a while in the room. He took out an old notebook he’d kept to document what oddities he encountered, and this was definitely noteworthy. First off, why would the girl have purple eyes? That raised his suspicion regarding Chaos, with purple being its symbolic color, and purple not being a color that she should have naturally acquired. Not only that, but her fire was purple, and a crystal dropped into her hand when it was extinguished. She seemed protective of the crystal.

He was taken out of these thoughts when the same girl he had been thinking about knocked on his door. “I’m just here to tell you that dinner is ready downstairs.” She politely nodded her head and walked downstairs herself. Kaime looked at her for a few seconds, but followed quickly after her. Why was this girl so strange?

The girl’s mother did not seem to be bothered by his presence, introducing herself as Eilora. He barely cared about the food entering his mouth, but was concentrated on the oddity of the girl. Yes, she looked like both her mother and father, with one exception—the eyes, of course. During the meal, he could’ve sworn he saw the girl hide the crystal in a secret pocket of sorts.

Afterwards, he decided to talk to Eilora and Threndal. Threndal had already left to his study to mix more potions, but Eilora seemed dying for some conversation.

“I’d uh, like to ask you about your daughter…” Kaime was afraid it might come off as strange or creepy. His doubts were unnecessary, as Eilora was very open.

“Oh yes, Saivel? She’s the middle of triplets. Her sisters Caraxa and Silvia left a month or two ago. I don’t know where on Lore they’ve disappeared to! Hopefully they’re safe, though.” Eilora smiled and continued babbling while she neatly scrubbed the dishes and put them away.

“Well, I’m just wondering… why does she have purple eyes?”

Eilora froze, but after a few moments continued with her work. “I… Thendral and I don’t know why. We suppose it means she’s gifted.”

“Like her purple fire?”

Another pause. “Well… that’s exactly the same, isn’t it?” She spoke with a strained voice.

“And what about the crystal?”

Finally, the question. He knew it would have a significant impact, and it did. There was a pause while Eilora swallowed.

“Oh. So someone else found out.”

“Yes. It wasn’t too hard, you know.”

“Well then, it’s none of your business.”

Kaime felt horrible for doing this to the family, but he stopped Eilora as she tried to walk off. “Mrs. Athen, what do you know about the crystal?”

Eilora pursed her lips. “I don’t know anything.”

“Mrs. Athen, I’m doing this for the good of your daughter.”

“You don’t even know her name!”

It was true. Frighteningly so. Wasn't it... Sai... But Kaime swallowed this fact and continued. “I’m afraid, Mrs. Athen, of what power your daughter has.”

“Our baby would never do anything bad!”

“Mrs. Athen…”

Eilora easily wrenched free of his grasp and ran upstairs. Kaime sighed and followed after her. Just as he made it to the first floor, he found Threndal Athen waiting for him.

“Look… so you want to know about the crystals our daughter ends up forming?”

Kaime nodded. “I’m sorry for…”

“I’m sorry for my wife’s behavior. I have to admit, I’m afraid for my daughter too.” Threndal patted him on the back and led him into his study. “Adventurers… I know you’re an upright man. But promise me you won’t hurt my daughter.”

Kaime sat down on the nearest available chair. “Mr. Athen, I’m afraid I can’t promise that.”

“Oh, really? Why is that?” Threndal seemed both threatening and interested at the same time.

The strange cat howl rang through the night again. “You hear that noise? The Redhines? Do you know what’s made them so active?”

“Haven’t got a clue.”

“Chaos has!” Kaime stopped. This was hardly the limit of Chaos’ power. “And I’m afraid, Mr. Athen, that your daughter may have the power of Chaos.”

Threndal took this easily. “I admit… when we took a close look at the two crystals we found, there was some strange sort of energy in them.” He sighed and got up, searching through drawers for the crystals.

“Mr. Athen, you’re stomaching this… very impressively.”

“I know my daughter’s not going to hurt anyone or anything. All she needs is someone to help her on the right path.”

“Mr. Athen, she won’t have a choice with—”

“My daughter won’t let Chaos take her over.” Threndal slammed his fist into his desk. “I know my daughter, and she may be very stubborn sometimes. It’s for her own good with this Chaos business.” He sighed and relaxed, handing Kaime the two crystals. “Well, what do you think of them?”

Kaime gripped them tightly. “There’s… power in them. I’m fairly certain it’s Chaos…” He watched Threndal’s expression, which didn’t change. However, he noticed a vein throbbing in his forehead. “How old are they?”

“Ten years or so, I’d say.”

Ten years? Kaime looked at the crystals. It was clear that there was a lot of power in them. And over ten years… He gulped. “Then, I’m afraid…” He stood up. “Mr. Athen, your girl… is very, very dangerous.”

Threndal was quiet. He sat down, thinking about this for a moment. “She’s a good girl,” he muttered.

Kaime, uncertain of what to do, patted his shoulder. “I’m sure she is, Mr. Athen, but we have to be careful with this. If you’ll allow me, I’ll take your daughter to a safe place.”

“I… I don’t have any choice, do I?” Kaime shook his head. Threndal sighed. “But… now I hope you can promise.”

Kaime was taken aback. “Promise what, Mr. Athen?”

“Promise you won’t hurt my daughter. Promise you’ll protect Saivel from anyone who tries to lay a finger on her.” Threndal was determined, his eyes burning with regret and ferocity.

I can’t promise that. I can't promise I won't hurt your daughter, Saivel... As he looked at Threndal, desperate to believe in his daughter, he decided to agree. His throat felt like something was clogged in it as he shook hands. He knew he was lying. For some reason, as he shook hands, he felt a sort of shock, like one from static electricity.

“Look, I’ll leave in the morning. We’ll…” Kaime stopped.

Threndal was crying. His shoulders heaved with every sob. Kaime, feeling guilty and ashamed, closed the door to Threndal’s study and ran straight back to his room. He heard muted conversations in the room next to his, presumably Saivel’s. She was being informed of what had gone on.

He felt horrible. Look at you, Kaime. He laughed at himself. You’ve just taken away this couple’s last daughter at home. Truly, a brave hero.

< Message edited by abcghimno -- 3/29/2013 12:58:19 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
3/30/2013 16:34:53   
abcghimno

Hey! This is pretty filler. Next chapter... NPCs! I will slowly kill myself in a corner trying to make them act properly, but I'm sure it will be okay.

Part II: Travel

The morning came, and Kaime felt even worse. He lay in bed thinking about what he had done. When he ran out of feelings about that, he wondered what would have happened if he hadn’t done it. Honestly, he had no idea. Would she have been taken over? Who knew?

Kaime sighed and got up, getting dressed and feeling ready for the day in no time. That was before he remembered what he was going to do. The stairwell seemed abnormally hard to descend, and walking seemed a harder task. As he walked, he sighed and packed his knapsack, shoving in his notebook, which he was certain he would need.

Saivel was eating breakfast at the table. She refused to look at him, and Kaime was not surprised. As he looked through his knapsack for a final check, he strangely noticed that he had put the two crystals in there. He took them out and set them on the table.

When he looked at the table again, the crystals were covered by Saivel’s hand. She grabbed them quickly and stuffed them in her own knapsack. It shimmered faintly with a blue glow; presumably, it was enchanted. Kaime continued to study both the knapsack and Saivel as he ate the eggs and some mysterious mash that actually tasted quite good.

She didn’t seem phased or shocked. In fact, the girl showed no emotion at all. When she finished eating, she waited patiently for Kaime to finish. Her strange lack of emotion and polite manner was somehow chilling. He stood up nervously and coughed.

“Mr. and Mrs. Athen, I shall now take my leave.”

Threndal looked down at the table, but Eilora spoke. “Saivel knows the way to Battleon, and you should know the way from there.”

Kaime considered saying sorry. He knew it would be useless. Saying sorry while you are doing the act? How stupid is that?

Saivel shared a hug with both of her parents and, after a guilt-ridden eternity, walked out the door with Kaime. She looked at him for a moment, but then quickly turned away.

“…Saivel?”

She sighed and looked at him reluctantly. “Yes?”

“Uh…” Kaime coughed. “I’m… sorry?”

“…I see.” Saivel nodded and looked down at the path. “Anyway, let’s start walking.”

“Of course.” Kaime waited until Saivel had walked a few paces and followed promptly after her. They walked on for quite some time, maintaining an awkward silence, when Kaime heard a whine in the undergrowth. He spun around quickly, and found Redhines behind them.

The Redhines were a strange sort of beast. They had the head of a wolf, with a dark red color similar to blood. However, at the same time, they were remarkably catlike; in their eyes, for example, as well as their long, thin tail. A few purple welts seemed to cover the fur of the first Redhine Kaime saw. As he continued to stare, they opened, revealing themselves as eyes. Some of the Redhines walked close to the path, but shied away from the daylight.

To be careful, Kaime drew his sword. Saivel looked at it for a moment.

“Where did you get that sword?”

Kaime looked down at his sword before tightening his grip on it. “I found it on my ventures. It’s enchanted with ice magic, but it still works to transfer air magic.” He didn’t have a name for the sword or anything, which was a bit of a shame. The hilt of the sword was a black smooth leather, embedded with a pale blue gem, and its blade was thin and flawless. If you did not look at it closely you could mistake it for steel, but it shone like ice under the light and was cold to the touch.

“Oh. Ice magic.” Saivel, who had seemed to consider touching the blade, withdrew her hand.

“It won’t hurt you,” Kaime laughed.

Saivel looked at him defiantly before reaching out to touch the blade again. The moment she did, he felt the blade somehow seeth at her touch, and she instinctively took her hand back. Where she had touched the blade, it appeared as if it were melting, but easily reformed itself. Disbelieving, Kaime looked at Saivel’s hand. It had turned red and seemed slightly burned in one area.

“…Wait. How did that happen? That doesn’t even make sense!”

“Ice magic doesn’t like me,” she said in explanation, and then frowned at Kaime and turned her head, only to feel him poking her. “What?”

“The hilt doesn’t hurt you—neither does the gem. That’s what I was poking you with.”

She sighed. “The blade must be what’s enchanted, then.” Kaime looked at her as if inviting her to take the hilt, but found himself ignored.

“Rude,” he replied, but kept his sword in hand and continued walking.

*~*~*~*

“…We’re here, aren’t we?”

Kaime, who had been tuned out, blinked and became aware of his surroundings. “Yeah, we’re in Battleon.” As he realized where he was, he also realized the time. “It’s pretty late though, isn’t it? Come on, let’s go to the inn.”

“Uh, sure.”

Saivel followed quickly after Kaime. He checked behind him as they walked down the path just to make sure she was there, but Saivel showed no signs of leaving. It was clear this place made her nervous and was foreign to her.

When they walked into the inn, Kaime handled the talking and paying some coins for their rooms. Obviously, he had gotten two rooms, though they were connected to each other. The moment Saivel had gotten in hers, he did not hear from her at all.

Kaime considered checking on her, but decided against it. He assumed she was sleeping. In the morning they would head for Swordhaven—actually, before then, he might give her a tour. The day would be long enough.

*~*~*~*

AQ DF AQW  Post #: 3
3/31/2013 1:36:35   
abcghimno

I'm afraid this chapter is mostly filler too. The person whose character I would be worried about the most is Warlic. Buuut things will start happening in the next chapter. I promise!

Part III: Introductions

Kaime woke up in the morning rather early. The sun had barely crept above the horizon enough to cease its brilliant colors and make the sky a brilliant blue. He sighed, too lazy to sit up for a moment, but had to give in to his sense of urgency. His first priority was to check on Saivel—though, perhaps, packing his things first would be a good idea.

She wasn’t in her room when Kaime checked, holding the few things he needed. At first, this shocked him, but he then realized it was entirely possible she’d woken up and had gone downstairs. That was where her found her—chatting with Serenity, the assistant innkeeper.

“Oh, so where have you come from?” Serenity asked politely.

“It’s a small town in a forest near Arcangrove.”

“Isn’t Arcangrove far away? What did you come here for?”

“Well…” Saivel thought over how to put this, but Kaime butted in.

“I’m sorry. We’re going to be leaving soon for Swordhaven.”

“Oh. That’s alright, if you’re in a hurry.” Serenity nodded, still very polite, and left them to their business. Kaime sighed and looked around.

“That’s odd… Yulgar isn’t around…” Kaime was slightly annoyed at this oddity and continued to search, but Saivel interrupted him.

“I talked to him, the rogue, and that other guy earlier. They’re rather nice.”

Kaime nodded. Those were... four introductions done and over. He wasn’t entirely sure why he felt like introducing Saivel to everyone, but he felt like it, and that was what he was going to do. It sounded pretty stupid, but he didn’t really care either way.

They’d better leave the inn if they wanted to get on with any more introductions. Kaime quickly sped out the door, followed by a slightly slower Saivel. First off in the introductions would be Cysero and Thok, since the forge was the closest.

Saivel seemed uncertain, so Kaime knocked on the door. There was no answer, but the forge was always open anyway. He swung the door open and glanced around. “Cysero?”

“Hi!” Cysero was suddenly in Kaime’s face. He took a moment to process this and backed up, before stepping into the forge, grabbing Saivel’s hand to bring her with him.

“Uh, hi.” Kaime was never sure how to react around Cysero’s… eccentric and odd behavior. “Well… Anyway, I’d like to introduce you to Saivel. Saivel, this is Cysero. Cysero, Saivel… she’s, uh…” He hadn’t thought this over.

However, Cysero seemed keen to introduce himself. “Huh. I haven’t seen you before.” As if this was odd. It was highly possible Cysero had not seen even a quarter of Lore’s population, and yet he seemed surprised by this. Saivel seemed a bit shy.

“Yeah. I, uh, come from a town near Arcangrove.”

Kaime was beginning to regret thinking about introducing Saivel to people. “Anyway, Cysero, where’s Thok? Doesn’t he usually hang around here?”

“Oh, Thok? I don’t know where he went.” Cysero seemed as if he would continue on, but Kaime decided it was an opportune moment to leave.

“That’s too bad. I guess we’d better leave; we’re heading for Swordhaven.” Kaime backed up as quickly as he could, walked straight out the door, and closed it. Saivel looked at him strangely.

“…So…”

“I guess we’ll give up on Thok. I suppose we should go meet Aria. Cysero is… eh… eccentric.” Luckily, Saivel seemed to accept it and shrugged. That was a relief. Kaime eased away from the door and headed over to the Pet Shoppe.

He didn’t bother knocking, but came straight in. Aria looked up, as she had been feeding her pets.

“Oh! Hi, Kaime.” Aria brushed some stray food off of her apron. “Why are you here?”

“I’d like to introduce my, uh, friend, Saivel. She comes from a town near Arcangrove. Saivel, this is Aria,” Kaime stated, waiting for Saivel’s reaction. She walked over to where the pets were kept.

“These are all very cute! Do you take care of them?”

Aria smiled at her in a friendly manner. “Yes, I run the pet shop here. It’s nice to meet you, Saivel.” It was at this point Kaime noticed a yellow moglin sitting on the fence, though he appeared to be sleeping on the job. He couldn’t help but laugh to himself. There was a slight amount of guilt at not introducing Saivel to Balboa, but the moglin could wait.

“It’s nice to meet you too, Aria. You’re rather young to run a shop all by yourself, aren’t you?”

Kaime winced, wondering what Aria’s reaction would be, but she didn’t seem to mind. “I’ll take that as a compliment, I guess. My father runs the inn here, and my grandma ran a pet shop before.”

“Mmm. That’s interesting. Anyway, I hope I’ll talk to you sometime later, Aria.” Saivel smiled and turned around to leave. Aria nodded and said a quick goodbye before turning back to her pets.

Kaime sighed and wondered who was next in this long row of introductions. He might as well skip over the barber, since he was... well, Kaime didn’t quite like him. Maya being in a library would not be the ideal environment for introduction—maybe later. Next off, then, would be Warlic.

The moment Kaime opened the door he could feel the magic inside. Saivel blinked as well, clearly surprised.

“Warlic?” Kaime asked, speaking quietly. He was worried he might be interrupting the Archmage, but apparently he was free. Arcana stood nearby, her staff flickering with energy. She seemed a bit surprised but did not mind the visitor, instead paying attention to some other work.

“Yes, Kaime?” In a moment Warlic had walked in front of him. “Is there something you need to ask me?”

All of a sudden, Kaime felt kind of stupid for interrupting just to introduce someone. “Ah, well…” Saivel squeezed through the door, glaring at Kaime for giving her so little space. “I’d like to introduce you to Saivel. Saivel, this is, uh, Warlic. Arcana is still in the room….”

There was a brief pause. Warlic looked at Saivel for a moment, studying her. Saivel held her ground and stared at him too. This staring match continued for only a few moments more, and it stopped only as Warlic spoke.

“So, your name is Saivel?”

“Yes.” She sighed and ceased her staring. “So… you’re obviously a mage.”

This seemed to amuse the Archmage. “Yes, yes I am. And you’re obviously imbued with some magical ability, at least.”

Saivel bristled, the feathers on her wings seeming to ‘poof’ out just a little bit more. “Huh, ‘some’ magical ability?”

Kaime laughed. “You’ve hardly been trained much, haven’t you?”

“My father may have been more interested in alchemy, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t teach me anything.” Saivel pouted and formed a fireball in her hand to prove her ability. Kaime winced, wondering how Warlic would react to this.

“A purple flame?” Warlic raised his eyebrow, which seemed aimed at Kaime moreso than Saivel. As if intimidated by this question, Saivel extinguished her flame, which probably did not help. She failed to catch the crystal, which clattered to the floor.

There was silence for a moment. Warlic seemed to automatically identify the energy within the crystal. Saivel quickly snatched the crystal up. Kaime was regretting introducing her. Arcana noticed the crystal’s presence and turned to face them. After Saivel had grabbed the crystal and stuffed it in her knapsack, Warlic sighed.

“Look, Warlic…” Kaime thought it over. “Well…” He paused. Warlic seemed ready to accept an explanation. “…I was going to bring her to Swordhaven just… to know what to do.”

“And, of course, you introduced the girl to everyone in Battleon first.” Warlic seemed serious, yet slightly joking at the same time. In any case, he was not angry, which was probably good. “Well, you were going to bring her to Swordhaven, so you might as well.”

The Apothecary could wait for later, it appeared. Right now, as Kaime grabbed Saivel and they quickly started along the path to Swordhaven, that was nowhere near the top priority.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 4
4/2/2013 17:03:58   
abcghimno

...Something happened here. Finally.

Part IV: Sisters

In order to get to Swordhaven, they should talk to Cleric Dawn. Her portal would allow them to get to the grand city. Not only that, it would be safe and quick.

Unfortunately, Saivel had wandered off and had somehow gotten into the western section of Greenguard Forest. As far as Kaime was aware, you could get to the Dishpan Hand’s temple, but no farther, considering it was surrounded by a wall. However, the girl had managed to… defy the walls and get into the nearby forest. Kaime reluctantly followed after her, climbing easily over the brick and landing on his feet.

“Saivel, where in the name of all that is holy—” Kaime was interrupted by a stab of pain. It was almost like a headache, except focused in one part of his brain. “Ow,” he muttered to himself. He looked around for Saivel and felt the strange pain again.

It was eerily silent. Saivel hadn’t replied or spoken at all. Kaime sighed and decided to run off, but for this the pain seemed to increase. Annoyed and slightly confused, Kaime stopped running in that direction and changed. At this the pain lessened, quite significantly, until Kaime realized that he had stumbled upon an unnatural clearing in the forest.

The clearing was obviously manmade. There were assorted tree stumps sticking up in sporadic locations, but most noticeable were the people in there.

Saivel was standing in the middle of the clearing, lightning in her hand. Kaime couldn’t help but notice that this was purple, even though it was not fire. Clearly, Chaos had spread all throughout her magic.

There were two other people, who looked practically identical. Then again, it would be a bit hard to tell when you can’t see their faces. Both of them wore a white cloak that coated their face in shadow and was thick enough that you couldn’t even tell their genders. This was obviously quite odd, and Kaime had never seen people like them before.

As he spent time musing this, one of them lashed out with a sword at Saivel. The pain struck again, significantly sharper than ever before. Instead of being dazed by this occurrence, Kaime became enraged. He felt rather defensive and ran straight into the middle of the clearing, barely missing a bolt of energy that Saivel shot.

“Aah! Kaime?!”

Kaime ignored this and instead quickly unsheathed his sword and slashed at the cloak wearer closest to him. To counter this, they retaliated with the same sword he’d seen before. Acting rashly, Kaime reached for the hilt of the sword and ripped it out of the stranger’s hands. This appeared to stumble them to a certain extent.

“Kaime!” Saivel easily blasted another round of energy and ran over to Kaime as the strangers were stunned.

“Hey. So who have you found?” Kaime broke into a grin, easily blasting one of them with wind and stabbing at a break in the other’s defenses while he drew more magical power. “They’re not very friendly.”

While Kaime had been attacking, Saivel quickly found the sword the strangers had used. Its guard was gold, with a fine design. The grip of the sword was flawless black leather, and the pommel of the sword embedded with a round gem that was perfectly white. Along the grip a name was inscribed.

For a few moments, Saivel could not read the name. She paused and looked at it a little harder, at which point she noticed exactly what the name was.

Silvia K. Athen.

Her eyes widened. Alright, so Silvia may be a common name, but the K. and Athen could only mean one thing.

Abruptly, Saivel grabbed Kaime’s shoulder. This caught him by surprise, but also allowed him to dodge a sword thrust that would have wounded him quite a bit.

“Saivel?”

“Uh, I’ve… found my sister, I guess.” Saivel blankly continued to stare at the sword’s grip. “Silvia Kari Athen.”

“Yes, tha—Saivel? What?” One of the strangers seemed shocked, while the other did not seem affected at all. They took advantage of the lull to take another stab at Kaime. However, their partner halted them.

“You look nothing like the Saivel I remember. Your voice is the same, I have to admit.” The stranger who had spoken sounded suspicious.

“I’m hurt.” Saivel responded sarcastically. “You always were no fun. Such a goody two shoes. You even refused to play Balance on the bridge! ‘Oh, it’s too dangerous,’” Saivel continued, her voice mocking and nasal. “Please! Name a time we fell.”

“‘Name a time we fell?’” The person speaking took down their hood, revealing their long black hair and dark brown eyes. They took the whole white cloak off, actually showing their furled wings. “Oh, that’s easy enough. But you’re Saivel alright. Mind giving me back my sword?”

Saivel frowned. “We never fell.”

“Well, if you insist to put it as ‘we’, yes, only one of us ever fell. And that was you. The first game of Balance we ever played, and that’s why I insisted against playing that game. You could’ve hit your head on something bad—in fact, you almost did.”

“…I never fell.”

Kaime blinked, still a little confused. The other stranger in a white cloak sighed and took down his hood. He had extremely light blond hair, which was neatly combed down against his head. His eyes were a light brown, which easily contrasted from Silvia’s. Kaime noted with a laugh that they had matching expressions.

“What?” the stranger snapped irritably, interrupting Saivel and Silvia’s conversation. “Your name is Kaime—or at least, I’m assuming from ‘Saivel’ shouting your name.”

“Glendyr, shush.” Silvia turned to Glendyr and put a finger to her mouth. She then turned back to Saivel. “And what do you mean by ‘I never fell?’ Don’t you remember?”

Listening to this conversation, Kaime’s mouth turned dry. Silvia was probably telling the truth, and it was odd that Saivel would not remember falling off of a bridge.

“Wait, so what exactly happened when Saivel fell?” Kaime asked, ignoring Saivel’s denial of the matter.

“When we were little, maybe four, Caraxa came up with the genius idea of going up on the bridge and balancing on the railings. That wasn’t entertaining enough, so we decided to try and push each other off. Caraxa and I were on one side, and Saivel was on the other. Saivel got pushed and fell. I’m surprised she didn’t hit her head on those purple crystals.”

“Hold on—purple crystals?”

“…Yes. What’s wrong?” Silvia frowned. “Now that I think of it, I never did see those purple crystals before or after we played that game.”

“Ah, well, uh… I didn’t tell you exactly why I was travelling with your sister, did I?” Kaime laughed drily. “Well, uh… Let’s see…”

Saivel gave him a glare. Kaime, however, decided to change the subject first. “Has Saivel always had purple eyes, by the way?”

“Yes of course—wait.” Silvia furrowed her brow. “…I… can’t remember. In any case, what were you going to say?”

“I’m travelling with your sister because she has Chaos magic.”

Glendyr flinched automatically at this statement, giving Saivel a suspicious look. Silvia seemed to take it in stride, looking at Kaime carefully.

“And how do you know this?”

“Well, have you ever seen Saivel make a fireball?”

Silvia shook her head. “No, why?”

“First off, they’re purple, and second off, when extinguished, purple crystals form. They have Chaos energy inside them—easily identifiable.”

“Only with her fireballs?”

“Yes, though I don’t know why. I think that game of Balance you played, when Saivel fell off and ‘almost’ hit her head on those purple crystals…” Kaime sighed. “Yeah.”

Silvia pursed her lips. “In any case, let’s actually head to Swordhaven now. Glendyr, don’t act like that. We’ll sort this whole matter out.” She gave Kaime a piercing stare, making him feel guilty somehow. Glendyr coughed and murmured something that sounded like an apology.

Saivel gave her sister an odd sort of look. She seemed scared but interested at the same time. “I still don’t remember that game of Balance…” she whispered. “And that scares me.”

Silvia nodded. “It scares me too.”

< Message edited by abcghimno -- 4/7/2013 18:16:09 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 5
4/21/2013 0:57:54   
abcghimno

Part V: Swords

Silvia lived in a fair-sized house. It was about 2,200 square feet in total (or at least, the real estate said it was—she had never checked herself and wouldn’t be bothered if it was a lie). It was rather cluttered and messy, though in fact she had very few personal belongings. Every item appeared to sprawl across the floor and take up as much space as it possibly could.

Neither Kaime nor Saivel was extremely disconcerted with this lack of organization. Kaime cleaned up the least he could for the mess to be manageable while Saivel just watched him work, laughing a little to herself.

After Silvia had shown Kaime and Saivel the two guest rooms (“This house wasn’t built for one occupant,” she told them) and they had become accustomed to the place, Kaime addressed something that had been worrying him.

“Look, we need to get Saivel a weapon.”

There were a few moments of silence. Both Saivel and Silvia blinked, before Silvia turned to look at her sister, seeming to realize that she didn’t have one.

“Fair point.”

“Hold on, why?” Saivel butted in abruptly, looking rather surprised at the notion.

“Your magic is… fairly volatile. Best to be careful.” Kaime coughed, realizing he sounded a little rude. “Look, we trust you with your magic, just… better safe then sorry.”

Saivel pursed her lips, looking hurt. Silvia paused and quickly stated, “Best to have a physical form of attack anyway.” She looked at her sister for a moment before continuing. “A sword, proba—definitely.”

“Hey, don’t make my decisions for me!” Saivel cried out indignantly.

“Well, you’d like a sword, wouldn’t you?”

“…Fine, I would.” Saivel pouted in return and crossed her arms. “But still, don’t make my decisions for me.”

Kaime raised an eyebrow and started to laugh. The two sisters both looked at him oddly, causing his mirth to fade away into seriousness.

“Okay, I’m done. So… where would we get a sword for Saivel?”

Silvia shrugged. “There’s a blacksmith in Swordhaven, you know. But I happen to have a sort of miniature armory for myself—get a lot of things I don’t need. I don’t use anything in there, just stick with my sword here.” She unsheathed her sword easily, shifting it to a more comfortable position in her hand. “Asked the blacksmith for this one personally. It’s a nice one, but could be a burden if you’re not strong enough.”

Kaime looked at the blade. It was actually fairly short and thick. The blade was double-edged and made of steel. The grip was black leather, and the pommel of the sword was embedded with a perfectly white gem. Along the hilt, a name was inscribed. It was a little hard to read, but he could pick out ‘Silvia K. Athen’—what Saivel had read off of it.

After this assessment, Silvia lead them to her ‘miniature armory.’ It was probably intended as a walk-in closet, but had hardly been used as such. Racks lined the wall, with sword and other such weapons hung on their hooks. A few tables sat at either end of the armory, on which more weapons were laid out.

Kaime whistled.

Silvia gave him a berating look, before turning back to the armory. “I didn’t realize I had so much here. Hah, I don’t need any of it. Well, pick and choose, y’know.” She shrugged and gestured towards the weapons. Saivel looked at her for a moment before hesitantly walking around.

She seemed to test only a few weapons, appearing nervous and frightened for some reason. Kaime quickly walked up to her, concerned. The moment she noticed she was there, she flinched and moved away quickly, before relaxing.

“I just, I… uh…” she attempted to explain, before swallowing. “I don’t… it’s like ice magic. They don’t… they don’t like me.”

He paused and strolled around, examing the assorted weapons, tapping them experimentally with a finger as he walked by. Every one felt warm to him somehow, and filled with a friendly form of magical power.

Ice magic. That hurt Saivel, who appeared to be more of a pyromancer. Logically, what else would hurt her that all these weapons?...

Then it hit him. Order. Though the rest of the house may be messy, this room was organized very neatly and painstakingly. Every blade was clean and polished so that they could function as a mirror. Silvia herself seemed to contain the friendly power of Order, what made them be.

And suddenly, there came guilt. Saivel was hurt by the very thing he stood for. He’d been aligned with Good for as long as he could remember, and now both Good and Evil had transferred into Order. Order against the overwhelming Chaos.

It was… it was hurtful, wasn’t it? It corrupted people, twisted them into mutilated shadows. But Saivel was hardly like that. She… she was nice and friendly… she seemed like her sister, protective and loyal in a way. She seemed to enjoy laughing, and she was…

Chaos wasn’t evil, now was it? Could you call Chaos something that it was not, in the table of alignments? You could be Good and chaotic… Kaime shuddered to think of Lionfang. You could be Evil…

…But Saivel seemed neither of those. She was like a child, innocent and naïve.

As he had been thinking, Saivel had continued to wander around the room aimlessly, until suddenly she picked up a weapon without drawing back. Silvia had tuned out and blinked as she saw her sister pick out the weapon.

“Oh, that,” she muttered, coughing. “I picked that up… some Chaos infested area, can’t remember…” She seemed to resent the weapon somehow. “Lost… lost a friend there.”

“Um…” Saivel stared down at the sword she had. It was single-edged, with a simple steel blade. The guard of it was a plain black and wrapped around her hand, fitting the material the rest of the hilt was made out of. In the pommel was a gem, which appeared red at first glance, but upon further examination was tinted purple.

“It… it fits you, doesn’t it?” Kaime blurted forth, seeing Silvia’s expression, a mix of sadness and resentment. “We… uh… you should…”

Saivel held it tighter in her hand. “Yeah… it works.” Experimentally, she slashed it to the left, and jabbed it forward. She handled it easily. After a pause, she took a breath and closed her eyes.

The sword lit on fire. Silvia and Kaime both jumped. At this, Saivel opened her eyes and blinked at them.

At the very part the guard met the blade, a few purple crystals had sprouted. Silvia and Kaime exchanged glances. Kaime shrugged, mouthing ‘Well, it fits her.’

Saivel smiled and looked around the room, finding that the blade had a sheath. It easily fit, despite the new purple growth on it. Kaime looked at the sheath uneasily. The moment she had her hands on the blade, there was Chaos taint on it. He could feel it from a few feet away. It was hostile magic.

And Saivel was not.

< Message edited by abcghimno -- 4/23/2013 1:06:52 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 6
4/23/2013 1:23:41   
abcghimno

Part VI: Swordhaven

After this picking and choosing of weapons, Silvia decided that Saivel should at least have an idea of the place she was currently staying in. Kaime had no argument, which may or may not have been a bad idea.

While walking, they idly chattered and discussed the various places around Swordhaven. They got off on a million tangents for debate. It was only a matter of time before they brought up why exactly Silvia had been in the forest wearing the white cloak with Glendyr.

“So, uh, what were you doing there?” Kaime inquired rather nervously.

“We were going to train.” Silvia shrugged, stretching out her wings relaxedly. “Wore cloaks ‘cause it’s honestly really cold outside around this time of year.” She frowned. “It’s the time before snow starts falling but after the days that are just right.”

“Well, okay.” Kaime blinked and thought for a moment. “Just wondering, why do you live in Swordhaven?”

“I’m a sergeant in the army. I’ve only got, what, twelve soldiers in my squad? But yeah, I’m a sergeant. Not very useful for anything else, to be honest. Considered going into paladin work, but I couldn’t cast a light spell to save my life.”

Kaime blinked, looking surprised. “Wait, what? How?”

Silvia blinked at him in return. “What do you mean?”

“But, I mean, aren’t you like…” The words escaped him for a moment. “Aren’t you an angel?” It sounded incredibly lame, but he honestly believed that.

Silvia and Saivel both laughed in unison, making Kaime feel rather embarrassed. After they had finished, Saivel spoke first.

“An angel? Where did you get that idea from?” Saivel was a mix of amused and curious. “What suggested we were angels to you?”

“Oh come on, it’s a common misconception. Wings and all that…” Silvia trailed off. “Well, for lack of a better way to put it, we’re birds.”

“Birds.” Kaime repeated the word disbelievingly. “Birds? Really?”

“Used to be real birds, beaks and talons and all that. We lived in the forest with the Redhines. Birds of prey, you know? We’d see something edible coming and—swoop! Down they’d go. While they were stunned, the Redhines would move in to kill them. We’d both get to eat at the end of it.” Silvia coughed and continued, “Real large birds, we were. Like an eagle, but pure white. There was this one spot of red, got onto the black beak too, though. Called us Crimsonbeaks… kinda inaccurate, but whatever.”

Kaime gaped at her, his mouth open. “You’re birds. Wait, how are you humans—humanoid now then?”

“Some clever wizard made us this way when we attacked his escort and all that.” Silvia shrugged. “Not sure who, but it’s not much of a bother. Without beaks and talons, we couldn’t kill. Redhines could manage by themselves, anyway.

“They remember we’re beasts, though—we’re still the Crimsonbeaks. They don’t kill other animals if the animals don’t kill them. They’ll kill humans on sight, though they’re less inclined to during the day.”

They didn’t kill other animals… they ate humans? Kaime gulped. “Well, to contradict you, I have to say I made it through the forest alive during the evening.”

Silvia laughed. “Ridiculous!”

Saivel shook her head. “No, he actually arrived during the evening in the village. Talked to Dad, lodged in our house for the night, then we left during the day.” She paused to think. “Yeah, I’m not sure why the Redhines didn’t attack him.”

Kaime didn’t feel like being subject to scrutiny, and he hardly wanted to tell them what he thought was the explanation, so he shrugged. “Well, don’t ask me,” he fibbed through his teeth. He had a clear idea of why the Redhines didn’t attack him—mind you, if it was the truth, the Redhines were very impressive.

Saivel and Silvia both shrugged, seeming to think nothing of it. “Well,” said Saivel, “if they didn’t attack you, I guess it’s just a good thing…” She paused to think. “I mean, after all…”

Was she trying to think of reasons his coming would be a good thing? That was… odd. Especially since she had basically been unseated from her rather nice home. Of course, it was in the middle of a forbidding forest. Which was, of course, filled with dangerous part-cat part-wolf creatures…

“…Yeah.” Saivel smiled convincingly and dropped the subject. “Anyway, why did you want to bring me here? I mean… how would it help?”

Kaime scratched his head. He doubted having an audience with the King would be a smart idea… in fact, he was very stupid. Thinking impulsively was a really bad habit he would need to break. It was entirely possible he stated a word unfit to put in print under his breath, but whether or not that is true is left up to you.

“I have no clue.”

Silvia sighed, sounding extremely disappointed. “Kaime, that’s really stupid. Why would you even bring her to a place without a reason?”

“It just… seemed smart at the time!” Rubbing salt in the wound, Silvia…

She sighed again. “Look, I don’t know what to do. I’d recommend… you know… doing something. Go out and help people where they need to do. Be an adventurer or… whatever. You’re not going to find help for Saivel here.”

Kaime blinked and looked at Saivel, who was completely quiet. He muttered to Silvia, “Can’t she live with you?”

“No way!” Silvia replied, somehow mixing a yell with an amazingly soft whisper. “I… can’t.”

It wasn’t an acceptable excuse, but arguing would have no point. Silvia would probably kill him if he tried to, and kill him extremely painfully if he actually pushed his argument. All in all, a stupid idea. Just like bringing Saivel to Swordhaven.

…Some days, Kaime just hated himself.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 7
5/21/2013 0:09:48   
abcghimno

Hey look, Kaime figured something out!

Part VII: Dreams

They decided that staying the night would be as good an idea as any. After all, most of the day had already slipped past, and leaving during night was probably not the best idea. Kaime didn’t exactly think going the long way through Greenguard Forest would be preferable; it may be a good idea during the day to see what he could find, but he wouldn’t take the risk when night fell.

Dinner was uneventful, and nothing too surprising. Kaime easily managed to settle into his bed as well; but he woke in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. It took him a few moments to notice the very slight, dull pain in the front of his head.

He lay there for a moment, wondering why the pain was occurring. However, the longer he stayed, the more the pain seemed to increase. Finally, he decided to get up and walk around. Perhaps he could find a solution to his strange headache.

Even as he simply opened the door to walk outside, the pain seemed to recede. Pleased with this accomplishment, Kaime turned to head outside, only for the pain to increase sharply. He barely winced, but decided that whatever it was causing this headache, it definitely did not want him to go outside. He begrudgingly turned to go the other way, being rewarded with a decrease in pain.

He made his way down the hallway until he reached the room Saivel was staying in. For a moment, he paused; a moment later, he moved forward. The pain clearly liked that as much as it liked him going outside: not at all. He paused again, but finally turned towards the door and opened it.

The door opened soundlessly, practically gliding over the carpeted floor. Kaime stepped inside a bit uncertainly, and the pain seemed to lower as far as it could go, leaving a slight throb to bother him. Cautiously, Kaime tiptoed towards Saivel, who seemed to be sleeping less than peacefully. Her hands were gripped tightly into fists and she was thrashing around occasionally.

Kaime located a chair and pulled it up to Saivel’s bed, sitting down and studying her for a few moments. She continued to thrash and kick, and the pain began to increase, a little oddly. By now, Kaime had a bit of an idea why and how the pain was there…

Promise you won’t hurt my daughter. Promise you’ll protect Saivel from anyone who tries to lay a finger on her. Threndal must have had a clever trick up his sleeve to make sure Kaime would follow his word. It would be a hindrance—Kaime knew this already—and he would hate it.

He gritted his teeth and looked down at Saivel, pausing all motion for a moment. It was clear she was having a nightmare… and he should probably wake her up. Hesitantly, he reached toward her and grabbed her shoulder, shaking her slightly. All she did in response was make a small sound.

What was she dreaming? Kaime was a little worried, considering that the promise was to protect her, and he wasn’t entirely sure how a dream could hurt someone….

*~*~*~*

She was surrounded.

The realization was possibly the most frightening thing Saivel had ever thought. All around her were the purple wisps, similar to sheets of silk, and yet they were threatening. From behind them sprouted horrible things: tentacles, claws, things that vaguely resembled hands yet were so grotesque and monstrous they never could be.

Worst of all, they were all around her. There was no way she could possibly escape them. But was that really the worst part?

Or was it the fact that they were talking?
*~*~*~*

It didn’t matter how. What mattered was the fact that, first off, Saivel was having a nightmare (probably a really bad one), and less importantly, that Kaime’s headache was increasing by the second. He sighed and shook Saivel by the shoulder again.

She reacted slightly more than she did the first time, but only with a mumble of “No” and some other incoherent words.

*~*~*~*

“Admit it,” one of the voices stated, its voice warping and distorting in a horrifying manner. Before it could continue its speech, Saivel reached out and grabbed at the purple sheet that had to be where the voice was originating from. With a loud screech, disorienting the girl and making her step back in fear… nothing happened.

The next sound she heard was laughter, and the next feeling horror.

“We’re part of you, girl. Try to tear us down… you’ll tear yourself up.”

Saivel balled her hands into fists and tried to scream, to punch, to do anything. But… it was true. It must be.

And then she heard a voice. Barely a whisper, but a comforting one, nonetheless.

Wake up.

*~*~*~*

Saivel sat straight up, her eyes wide in terror. Kaime was clearly surprised, sitting straight up himself. He recovered quickly, his eyes fading from shock to concern.

“Are you okay?” he asked, honestly meaning nothing bad from it. Saivel turned to look at him, and for a split second her face contorted into one of pure rage—but it was only for a split second. She seemed drained and frightened, like a child needing a parent’s convincing that there weren’t any monsters under the bed.

“Were you having a nightmare?” Kaime asked, looking at Saivel, trying to see whether she would relax at all. She nodded, relaxing a little and leaning back in her bed.

“What are you doing here?” she blurted out, her voice rushed and strained. Kaime blinked, uncertain of how to explain it.

“Uh, couldn’t sleep. In your case, though,” he added, “perhaps not sleeping would have been better.”

Saivel sighed, not even bothering to be angered by it. “Yeah…” she muttered, her eyelids starting to close already. The moment her eyes closed, they shot straight open again.

It was at this point that Kaime noticed a little something off about her eyes. They were glowing a faint purple. They were scared, they were frightened, horrified even.

“Are you okay?” Kaime asked, a second time. She tightly nodded, her eyes nervously flickering around the room. “Will you be okay if I leave now?” Once again, she nodded, though he didn’t really believe her.

“Alright,” he said, sounding a little reluctant. If he had another headache, he would know if something was wrong—and hopefully, he wouldn’t have a headache. He liked sleeping.

A little uneasily, Kaime stood up and walked out, looking at Saivel with a concerned expression before he finally left.

“Sweet dreams,” he whispered, before he shut the door.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> Then, it Fireballed.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition