Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Servers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Suggestions >> Servers
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/15/2013 9:13:36   
InceptionAE

My friend plays runescape and runescape offered a server that plays their game back in 2007 for those who wanted the previous version of the game. Now of course you had to be a member to log in now to Old Runescape.

My point here is, I think the Dev's should make legion server run Delta or Beta version of te game for those who want to play it. Also maybe charge 250-500 varium per month. You know give them a benefit for giving us a server. Also as we play in the servers the wins and losses could count on the othet server as well. Some people may disagree because of NPC but take note that the wins will not count to leader boards but only on the epicduel official server (that runs the current and latest version of epicduel). Now it comes time for my fellow mates in ED to discuss if this is worth the Dev's time to implement such server. I would also like to state that Supported is not a valuable answer please contribute more than the answer "Supported" and suggestions are always welcome.

Moved to Suggestions section. ~Wind

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 4/15/2013 10:58:19 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
4/15/2013 9:17:40   
odsey

Server for different phase? Don't you think it will take Developer time to make the server plus with Omega releases? So not supported. Even though Omega isn't really good maybe at one point Omega could be good.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 2
4/15/2013 9:20:41   
Melbourne

As I would thoroughly enjoy this it wouldn't work. Update buffs and nerfs for different servers that work different would take quite a bit of time... Plus those are in the past. Enjoy what you have now
AQW Epic  Post #: 3
4/15/2013 9:26:58   
InceptionAE

The dev's still have previous versions of epicduel. They never delete versions. It would take like 30 minutes to 2 hours to upload it. Would take no real work at all. For updates and buffs am quiet sure the Dev's have time for that considering if Oversoul is progressing faster than us and they have a smaller team, I'm quiet sure the Dev's can put some effort in to updating balance between servers. It's also very simple to update them btw. I'm learning Java as we speak, they're coding this game in flash, flash is an easy code and it's very easy to change how much a stat will increase a certain skill. It would take a programmer approx. 20 minutes to change the balance.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
4/15/2013 9:38:33   
odsey

@Inception But I dont think that they could coded it easily. And think about classes. There is three evolved class. What about people who have the evolved class and move to a different phase where the evolved class doesn't exist?
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 5
4/15/2013 9:40:23   
white out727

Changing stats doesn't help you run two game versions at the same time. Also think about switching back and forth. With the cores and stat placement and then deltas enhancement. You pretty much have to have two saved copies of every character to run them both because taking all that stuff and switching it everytime you change servers is ridiculous. Just my two cents... Also lag much? Lol :p

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 4/15/2013 10:58:11 >
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
4/15/2013 20:57:39   
Droidzx3

Sounds like a cool idea, because many people loved beta and want it back, but I don't see how they will be able to do it with the evolved classes and cores.

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 4/16/2013 19:40:57 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 7
4/15/2013 21:08:35   
Stabilis

Do not expect these servers to be updated if at all.
AQ Epic  Post #: 8
4/15/2013 22:38:21   
goldslayer1

people are under the impression that ED would need to update both servers weekly with releases.

thats not really the case. all they would really have to do is put in the seasonals and what not, (which they already have)

so it wouldn't really be that hard to update seasonal events like the winter events, easter, valentines, etc.
because they have this stuff already.

so they wouldn't be "updating" anything at all since nothing is really new.

however regarding the OP, i would very much enjoy to "go back in time" and play the old ED.

the upside for them is, they could leave in the option to purchase varium like it used to be back then.
so it may be profitable if old players came back and decided to play the old version instead.

< Message edited by goldslayer1 -- 4/15/2013 22:46:01 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 9
4/16/2013 0:15:51   
TRizZzCENTRINO

@above that's if they come back.

quote:

The dev's still have previous versions of epicduel. They never delete versions. It would take like 30 minutes to 2 hours to upload it. Would take no real work at all.

oh really? make your own epicduel if that's the case

quote:

Would take no real work at all. For updates and buffs am quiet sure the Dev's have time for that considering if Oversoul is progressing faster than us and they have a smaller team

oversoul does not have equip-able staff, wrist blades, maul, swords, guns, auxiliaries to worry about, they don't have big events, missions drops, detailed/animated NPCs, oversoul art is simple and convenient while epicduel has detailed and realistic art, they also require more times on making items because unlike oversoul or AQW, they need to have extra keyframes and animations for the items outside of battle or in battle, having 2 versions of the game means that they need to duplicate each item file, storage space costs money and they would lose profit because not many players would play, also, does oversoul or AQW team manage 2 versions of their game? i think not

quote:

I'm quiet sure the Dev's can put some effort in to updating balance between servers. It's also very simple to update them btw. I'm learning Java as we speak, they're coding this game in flash, flash is an easy code and it's very easy to change how much a stat will increase a certain skill. It would take a programmer approx. 20 minutes to change the balance.

hmm yes it is just code, but a few hundred lines of it, it is not as simple as going in and just changing a few numbers, ED runs on a different coding language even if it is done in flash, they also need to do bug fixes along with other things.

< Message edited by TRizZzCENTRINO -- 4/16/2013 0:25:33 >
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
4/16/2013 0:28:10   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

No, they do not have old versions of the game. Each update they add code on to the existing version, they don't simply save a new version each update or patch. Who knows how much space they would be wasting if they kept each version after all the releases.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
4/16/2013 0:30:54   
TRizZzCENTRINO

@above exactly

why else would they call it a update? because they update the current game not make a completely new version of it.
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
4/16/2013 1:46:44   
Stabilis

^

Actually Triz, to avoid making fatal errors to the game in an update, developers back a copy of EpicDuel and work to change the copy. When they have a finished product of the update, it is saved as an entire version of EpicDuel. Because of this, Titan likely has the last Omega release and probably older releases maybe even as far back as Alpha. We keep copies so that we have something to refer to if ever something terrible happens. Like a coffee spillage.
AQ Epic  Post #: 13
4/16/2013 1:59:59   
TRizZzCENTRINO

@above only for recent changes, they have a copy after the make a change but they do not have copies of a entire version of other phases. if they implement this suggestion then that means they would have to piece the files together to make it.

the devs are mysterious so no-one is sure what they do.

< Message edited by TRizZzCENTRINO -- 4/16/2013 2:08:55 >
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
4/16/2013 3:48:40   
Scyze

So its copying an idea from another game again? What if Jagex complains? Would Artix Entertainment give, "no, it's not your idea, we got inspired by it so we made it for EpicDuel! RuneScape's feature(s) has nothing to do with this."

This is an idea which I will not like to be placed in-game. If the servers are based in the past phases, it leaves people to go for the phase in which they had a dominating build. It will possibly leave a server un-popularised (Omega). Keeping these servers online costs money and once one of the servers are full, you'll have to refresh the page multiple times to log-in. Even though we have our own opinions on which phase was the best, it’s a waste of time (and money) making you happy to relive the moment.

The focus is high on making the game better and getting new players. If this was introduced and the new players didn't know much, they could go into the Gamma version and get used to it and the next day into the Delta server and feel stupid. What happens to the daily leaderboard of the top players in the battle modes? Do they get removed since there will have to be 3-4 different servers who run differently to each other rather than parallel?

This feature is very time consuming.

< Message edited by Malicious Neos -- 4/16/2013 3:50:05 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
4/16/2013 4:08:06   
Goony
Constructive!

Hmm, I'd guess Titan would have a copy of the code from prior phases. It would be good to have a time warp back to Beta and then all the people who claim it was so good would be able to get an instant reality check.
I'd say something like this would not be high on a list of priorities at the moment, but maybe in the future it would be good to go and have a flashback. Then you could really see how much has been added to the game ;)
Epic  Post #: 16
4/16/2013 14:20:12   
InceptionAE

@Trizz you obviously don't know anything about the law. If I copy Epicduel I'm looking at being sued thousands of dollars. No thanks.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 17
4/16/2013 14:38:47   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

Yes, they will have copies of recent phases but I doubt they go back more than a few months at best. They aren't going to keep all the way back to Beta. It's a waste of time to keep something that old and outdated for a backup if Omega suddenly goes haywire. They would end up losing years of work and the chances that every other recent version breaks as well are slim to none.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
4/16/2013 14:48:32   
The Incredible Hulk
Banned

+ it would be a weird idea if there was other versions for the game since:

Epicduel has low amount of players playing every day which means that if everyone was in different versions of the game, it would take longer to find a game when PvPing

While

Runescape has more amount of players which is why they have bigger community to ask for the old rune scape version.
Epic  Post #: 19
4/16/2013 16:36:26   
  Charfade

Even if we brought online old phases of EpicDuel to play on separate servers( which we do have saved ), players would never be able to save character progress. The current data base can not support old versions of EpicDuel with out rolling back current character data. A whole new database would have to be built to play and save on old phases. Not only is that taking up time from development of the current phase, but now your talking about running a similar game in tandem, requiring more bandwidth which means higher server costs. Which at that point we would rather focus our time on improving the current phase and looking forward then backward.

MQ Epic  Post #: 20
4/16/2013 17:01:17   
TRizZzCENTRINO

quote:

@Trizz you obviously don't know anything about the law. If I copy Epicduel I'm looking at being sued thousands of dollars. No thanks.

i said make your OWN, not copy the game exactly as it is, so you have to make a similar game that works somewhat like epicduel with a completely different theme, art, storyline, classes and name, but the weapon category has to be somewhat like ED with similar battle modes, stat system etc...

i even see people making similar games like AQW now.

overall the multiple server phases cannot happen, since it would take their main focus off of omega and cut their development time, that means if you think they don't release much events, weapons or wars now, then with this implemented it would take them 5-6 weeks to just prepare a storyline event for both phases, remember omega runs on a different coding language/system to gamma, beta or delta.
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
4/16/2013 22:29:09   
LatinLover/Martini

Until ED starts making weekly updates like AQ I dont know if this would be a benefit... even if I really miss beta.......
AQW Epic  Post #: 22
4/17/2013 8:55:06   
Stabilis

quote:

Yes, they will have copies of recent phases but I doubt they go back more than a few months at best.

Actually, each copy including Alpha's copy is kept because it is the developer's progress report. These things are useful to Titan and Rabblefroth because it teaches you how code changes and offers an insight to correct coding logic when an error arises. For Rabblefroth, I can only guess that he was shown older copies of EpicDuel to learn how Titan codes EpicDuel so when Rab himself codes he integrates his coding skills to Titan's logic so no... "logic" (or would it be run-time?) errors arise as a conflict of interests. Why Alpha would be useful is to simply state, it is the tutorial before the boss level. Video game phrases are the only phrases I will take. Imagine being assigned as a contractor on a sky-rise building as your FIRST assignment on your FIRST day. You look at the blueprints and cannot fathom the entirety of the project. So in reality they learn from the "ground up" (haha). New coders to EpicDuel (if any) would do the same.
AQ Epic  Post #: 23
4/18/2013 7:37:33   
zion

Well I wouldn't have thought the devs would be silly enough to throw away old copies of their game....
But - is this really necessary?
The game has progressed so much.
Maybe a side game where everyone (varium only) gets a level 25 (cap) char in alpha ED with the alpha weps and its only 3v3!?
Do it on Doom server.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 24
4/18/2013 13:00:16   
Kiing of Frost

Actually, stay with me here, on runescape it isn't a server it is a whole different game, you log in on a completely different website, titled Runescape 2007, yes i know i have played it. for epicduel to do this they would have to make a whole new game and it isn't bringing said player back it is making a new character to account for the updates, so new char is what you would have to do.
AQW Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Suggestions >> Servers
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition