Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Skill progression per level

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> Skill progression per level
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/30/2014 8:29:33   
Ranloth
Banned

There are two types of skill progressions, when it comes to damage/defense they give. For example, some skills have a fixed progressionvalue) across all 10 levels - Reflex Boost increases by +3 Dex per skill level, all the way up to Level 10. Then there are skills which have a variable progression - Smoke increases by -3 Dex (until Level 4), then -2 Dex (until Level 7), and finally -1 Dex (until Level 10).

If we take Smoke (variable progression) and put it onto fixed progression, it'd likely increase +2 Dex per level - since there's 18 Dex difference between Level 1 and 10, and 18 / 9 = 2

There are a lot of skills which use the variable progression, since that one was used from Alpha even, or so I think. I do believe on or two skills have been changed in Omega, to work on fixed progression, but don't quote me on it. Although, many skills which give % damage increase, i.e. Bludgeon, Berzerker or Double Strike, use the fixed progression.

What are advantages of fixed progression? No high increase early on, and then depreciating after you hit the specific level thus not worth putting skill points into. This means some skills are easy to abuse with low amount of skill points invested in it.
Disadvantages? Some players could feel "forced" to max it out just for the skill to be fully efficient, which isn't necessarily true.

What are advantages of variable progression? Less skill points wasted to use a skill, which makes it easier for lower levels but some classes get advantages over the other due to such increase (i.e. BHs vs TMs; Smoke scales fast, whilst TMs don't really have that or not as effective).
Disadvantages? Skills "cap" at a specific level, and you gain almost nothing from it + spend more EP, thus screwing the EP:effect ratio. Also, players still end up being "forced" to train the skill until the cap, because faster progression means they get the most out of it.

Which one would work better, for all skills? Would it be the fixed progression (allowing you to invest however many points you want and not get punished for doing so), or variable progression (faster increase earlier on - which is prone to abuse - and capping in usefulness around Lvl 7-8)?
AQ Epic  Post #: 1
3/30/2014 8:52:42   
RageSoul

I think i'll have to go to the standard Variable . It allows crafty players to get easier flexibility if managed right. Only downside is if you have spare points where you have almost nowhere to dump into.

< Message edited by RageSoul -- 3/30/2014 8:55:09 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/30/2014 12:38:53   
kosmo

You not considering energy as a stat itself.Base energy is the best choice for almoast all classes and builds, skill three is relative to this and many players will lower those skills that arn t pointless to win (smoke screen, heal, bludjeon, etc..) to keep the most useful ones maxed, still having all the options of their build.No matter if progression is fixed or variable, the only important thing is investing in op skills and op stats.For example, I will never lower mark of blood or static charge because they have fixed progression, it s still alot better to max them out.
Epic  Post #: 3
4/4/2014 2:01:47   
edwardvulture

I think I liked fixed better, not much people invests skill points into skills that don't scale directly/indirectly with strength. But the thing is, what works at one level doesn't work on another. For example, maxing multi shot as a low-level would work on 2 on 2 while it is completely unviable at high levels due to battles being longer and dex builds(for most classes) being inefficient in terms of damage output and energy cost. I could see how fixed progressions could potentially be OP at low levels while working at high levels. Scaling with stats also goes into this discussion. It is much more efficient to spam a stat then to invest in energy and skill points for the skill.

The increase for each skill point investment needs to increase in higher levels to keep up with energy cost justification and 0-energy damage.

< Message edited by edwardvulture -- 4/4/2014 4:36:38 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> Skill progression per level
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition