Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Overspark Quest OOC

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> Forum Games >> Forum Games OOC >> Overspark Quest OOC
Page 1 of 41234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/19/2014 5:14:20   
V_Phantom

Link to Game Thread.

First of all, I have to warn you: I'm good when it comes to creating characters and developing ideas, but I'm terrible when it comes to names. “Overspark Quest” is mostly a placeholder name, and so are most of the names (for both characters, places and concepts) that I'll mention. So, you're highly encouraged to suggest better alternatives to them; after all, this is a story I want to craft with the help of everyone, so that would be a nice place to start.

About Magic / Powers...

On this setting, there two methods that allow characters to employ super-natural abilities. Neither of them is mutually exclusive, so it's possible to employ both at the same time, but one of them is clearly superior to the other, only not as “immediate”, as I'll explain now...

-“Etherian Magic”: Born from the study and manipulation of the Etherium, this kind of power requires a supply of the “miracle” substance and special equipment in order to be used, usually in the form of a special backpack and gauntlet combo. In essence, it works like minor form of reality warping; if you can think of an effect, and your mind is disciplined enough, it's 95% possible you can make it happen. Telekinesis, pyrokinesis, light manipulation, restoration, it's a extremely versatile kind of power.

HOWEVER, because of the drastic decay of Etherium's energy, this kind of magic has become extremely unreliable and unstable. Sometimes “spells” come up as weaker than intended, or far more powerful than intended, and can also be extremely unwieldy. They also require lots of “juice” in order to work, as they drain Etherium “batteries” faster than a PSP. And on top of that, since the element has become progressively more scarce, if one ends up wasting too much of it, eventually you won't be able to request more fuel for it.

-“Overspark Magic”: A recently discovered kind of power. Mortals are not sure of how you acquire it, but it seems to manifest sporadically within those born after Neo Albion's exodus, 30 years ago. The Overspark is kind of a “godly gift”, and a power that starts relatively weak/simple, (usually, you can only create one effect to begin with) but it grows stronger as you cultivate it. How do you do so? By forming bonds with others bearers of the Overspark.

Allow me to explain with a hypothetical case: Alice has the “Lightning” Overspark, which allows her to fire “electric bullets”; meanwhile, Bob has the “Shield” Overspark, which creates a personal barrier to repel physical blows. At some point, Alice and Bob become friends, and their Oversparks start nurturing each other. Now Alice can summon a “static field” which emits powerful electric discharges within a certain radius around her, and Bob's barriers can absorb electricity, so he can bounce them back to their source, or store them for later use. Their basic abilities also become more powerful as a result, and as their friendship grows stronger, they will acquire more “combined” abilities.

So, as reluctant as I am to reference a certain show about colorful equine creatures, “Friendship is Magic” would be a rather accurate way to describe the essence of it. HOWEVER, there are other ways to nurture an Overspark, like rivalries with other bearers. Only that in those cases, instead of acquiring characteristics similar to those of the rival, their Oversparks start developing methods to “counter” them; not necessarily an ability which completely nullifies their power, but something that makes it more difficult for them to use it on their rivals.

There are other rules to this kind of powers, but I'll explain them as issues related to them appear.

NPCs

Reginald Grenwalt, regent of Geartown: A scrawny, overtly nervous, borderline neurotic man; Reginald doesn't look like your traditional kind of leader. And that's because a turn of “fate” put him in a position he didn't want to be in. He used to be the right hand man of the previous mayor, a bombastic yet charismatic and highly motivated man who was key in the development of their “exploration campaign”. Unfortunately, that mayor died during one of said expeditions, leaving Reginald in charge. While Reginald has a lot of qualities and abilities extremely valuable for a leader, (he's good at organization, and he always plans ahead to be prepared for any eventuality) he doesn't have the “presence” nor motivational aptitudes of his predecessor, making his job a constant struggle to him. However, he always believed in his boss' vision and ideals, so he wants to continue with the campaign inspired by those dreams, dreams of a prosperous and proud Albion, one which embraces the world around it instead of rejecting it.

“Gameplay-wise”, you could consider him the main “quest giver” in Geartown. That said, it's not necessary to focus in fulfilling his requests, and he encourages initiative among his peers, so you can do almost anything you want. That said, he doesn't take it lightly when someone does something that could threaten Albion's survival. You can still do things like those, as long as he (nor his underlings) never finds out that you did.

Sibylle, The Unbound Dreamer: One of the “supreme beings” (who some people would refer as gods) who roam the planet, Sibylle is an unpredictable creature however you look at her... Literally, as her appearance always changes depending on who is interacting with her; sometimes she might look like a beautiful woman, or a cute little girl, or a kooky old lady, or a talking giant mutant mongoose. Apparently, she acquires a new form each times she meets a new person, and even her equals can't tell if she has a “true form”.
She's a free spirit with a trickster streak who likes doing things out of sheer amusement, and whenever she's grows bored of the world, she's likely to retire to her “secret place” to sleep for a couple thousand years before returning to play once again.

She doesn't believe in such things as the struggle between good and evil, seeing them as arbitrary impositions which inhibit possibility. To her, change and conflict are the things that truly matter. She also values emotions and personal relationships, seeing them as essential forces forces in the creation of the chaos and movement she holds so dear.

She's the source of all Oversparks, and also the entity responsible for Albion's release from their unbreakable prison, all this as part of her latest “social experiment”. While she doesn't directly intervene nor manipulate mortals in order to accomplish her goals, unlike some of the other “gods”, she likes to roam the planet from time to time to indulge into its worldly pleasures, as well as to “experience” the results of her schemes.

Griff, the Gatekeeper: A being of order and control, Griff is a guardian of the space-continuum, a custodian who watches over reality's fabric in order to ensure its integrity and security. Very few mortals have ever seen him, but his form resembles that of a mechanical humanoid being covered in tattered cloak, almost like robotic grim-reaper. That said, there's an undeniable “knightly” vibe to him, thanks to his regal and dignified behavior. He wields a golden hammer which is said can vanquish anything.

He rarely interferes in the conflicts of the mortal plane, instead focusing on maintaining the inner-workings that make everything on it possible. Even massive extinction events don't guarantee his intervention, unless said phenomenons also threaten reality's fabric. Because of that, he might appear indifferent or utterly alien to the tribulations of the world.

He's the creator of the “Labyrinth of Mirrors” that allowed Albion's survivors to break free from their prison. Despite his usually distant nature, he was convinced by Sibylle to create the portal network due to a bet she made with him. She wanted to prove Albion could learn from his past experiences in order to change and “rectify what went wrong”; but Griff holds nothing but contempt for Albion's arrogance and greed, and he wants to prove Sibylle they're doomed to repeat their mistakes, something which will eventually trigger their own extinction.

Some "miscellaneous" musings

-You can't start being friends with an Overpark bearer as part of your backstory, because could lead some some nasty “early game exploits”, and that would limit the interaction with other player characters I want to encourage.

-No, you can't have the ability to instantly make friends either, (you're not the player character from South Park: The Stick of Truth) specially if it is an “informed attribute”. I want for the characters interactions to be feasible and compelling, so being able to befriend anyone instantly, despite the character having the charisma of a cold pancake is extremely lousy.

-That said, even if your character isn't a friendly-type, you can still increase your Overspark abilities in other ways. The “rivalry system” is one of them, but there are other ways I'll reveal as the story goes on.

-Enchanted weapons don't exist on this setting... At least not right now, though it might be possible for an Overspark to create them. However, unbreakable weapons and tools are surprisingly common, as Albion's artificers created a lot of them using Eternium before magic started to go haywire. That said, they can't create new ones, so you better take care of them if you start with a few on your inventory.

-At first, you'll only be able to start as an Albion citizen, but as story progresses, people from other realms (and races) might become available. And yes, they also have Overspark potential, as that's a gift Sibylle granted to them, too.

There's still a lot more to explain, but I'll do so as the questions start appearing, and according what I deem pertinent. Also, I'd like to start as soon as possible, because I've learned from my past experiences that “over-planning” usually ends up killing my stories before they even start, and that improvising and adapting to the available characters and circumstances actually yields more unique and creative results.

This is a story I want to craft with the help of everyone, and I highly encourage to suggest new concepts and ideas in order for them to be adapted and incorporated.

Character Profile Template

Name: (Self-explanatory)

Age: (Also self-explanatory, but remember that your character can't be more than 30 years old if you want an Overspark)

Appearance: (Quite straightforward too. You can also include a mention to their preference when it comes to clothing, but that's not indispensable)

Personality: (How do they roll, yo? Be aware that I'll be extremely cautious when it comes to “super-friendly” characters, because they have to be congruent when it comes to it, otherwise I'll call shenanigans. For example, you can't have a “super-friendly” who is also a bitter and manipulative cynical with no empathy nor interest in the world)

Job: (Even the youngest inhabitants of Geartown have a purpose and duty, mostly because how few of them are. Are you a guardian who fights against monsters? An artificer who creates new inventions to make life easier? A full fledged explorer who rarely stays in town for too long? There are many possibilities; and in case your character is a bit too young for a full-fledged “job”, you can be an apprentice of one)

Hobbies: (Of course, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy, so make sure to mention what does your character do to have fun, improve themselves, or just "pass the time")

Skills: (“Real world” skills, like combat training, swimming, blacksmithing, cooking, etc. That said, don't go too overboard, or I'll call shenanigans)

Family and friends: (A brief description is good enough. Remember, you can't start as a friend of an Overspark bearer on your backstory.)

Story so far: (A brief synopsis of what has been going on with their life since their birth up to the story's start)

Personal Objectives: (What are their current goals at the start of the story? Do they want to help with Albion's plans? Or do they want to do their own thing? It doesn't matter if their goal is “villainous”, that's a valid option too.)

Overspark: (The kind of power they have been granted. Remember that your first ability starts relatively simple and straightforward, so don't go overboard here. Ultimately, I'll be the one that decides how their power evolves and develops, so always keep that in mind. Be sure to replace your "first draft" with my edited description once I provide it to you)

Overspark Skills: (Do not put anything on this space when you first submit your application. However, after choosing your Overspark class, and as your character becomes more powerful, I'll provide you with information to add to his section. This is the list of skills/effects your Overspark gains over time; keep them in mind in order to determine your available options at any given time)

< Message edited by V_Phantom -- 4/28/2014 18:07:48 >
Post #: 1
4/19/2014 6:36:40   
kkutwar

Since Oversparks interact with each other and their powers develops based on the kind of relationship they have with a character... What about Oversparks that start out rather indifferent to one only to suddenly have strong emotions (such as rage against the murderer of a close friend/etc)? Or what about Oversparks who suddenly act a certain way towards another due to triggers? Furthermore, what happens when a Friend Overspark becomes a Rival Overspark and vice versa? In addition, do Friend Oversparks get a bonus if they're (adopted/step) family? Besides that, is an acceptable Overspark type the ability to "enchant" items (perhaps specifically items in mid-craft) or to create artificial life?

I haven't settled on a specific character yet, but Kittan Christian seems like the obvious choice. Unimportant question, but can Albionians have heterochromia?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
4/19/2014 18:25:27   
Lemonus

Vivi, if you didn't like the name you could've just gone with Overspark without the Quest :p

I'm interested on this one...
DF AQW  Post #: 3
4/19/2014 23:14:11   
Rez

Looks pretty cool, as for the
quote:

"as story progresses, people from other realms (and races) might become available"
does this mean I would have to wait to do it or is this left for us to add on too as you did say you want to craft with our help?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 4
4/20/2014 17:36:57   
V_Phantom

@kkutwar: He he he heh, as expected, you're the one with the most questions right out of the box. But, that's quite useful to me, as it gives me a chance to explain (or even define) important aspects about the story. Anyway...

Indifference is something that doesn't nurture an Overspark at all, so starting from that point and then acquiring an strong emotion doesn't grant any “bonuses”. But, by the same token, starting indifferent doesn't hamper their evolution, so it's not a crucial factor as far as growth goes. However, it's worth remembering that emotion alone isn't what nurtures this powers, but the bonds between people. A character could hate another Overspark bearer with the fury of a thousand suns, but that won't do anything to any of their power sets if the target of his/her hate reacts with indifference towards said person. This also applies to other emotions, of course, like romantic infatuation, where a character with an one-sided crush for another won't trigger any changes either.

As the relationships between Overspark bearers changes, so does their power and versatility. A lost friendship won't immediately destroy the new ability born for it, but it will become weaker unless the bond that created it is mended. However, rivals-turned-friends are a very special case, because not only you get to keep your “rival power” with the same effectiveness as before, but you also gain a substantial bonus to your brand new “friend power”, the reasoning behind it being that you had become “Fire Forged Friends” after going through a harsh test and managing to find peace, therefor acquiring stronger kind of friendship. Mind you, that's a rather uncommon phenomenon, but it's possible. The inverse process, friends-turned-rivals also grants similar bonuses, oddly enough, because a fading friendship is relatively normal, but behind able to genuinely hate someone you held in such high stem is a stronger, more tragic kind of bond, therefor one which is far more powerful than an ordinary rivalry.

Family bonds don't grant any special bonuses, as it has to do more with the quality of the bond than its origin. “The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb” is in full force of this setting. While characters with an excellent family relationship will have an easier time nurturing their Overspark with the family members also have one, those who are more distant to said family will have a difficult time doing so.

“Enchanting” is a valid Overspark type, just remember it would start rather limited. However, spontaneous “Life Genesis” is a gift only the gods possess, and mortals can't create sentient/conscious beings “out of thin air” on this setting. Nonetheless, it would be possible to have a “Summon” Overspark, the kind of power that allows you to create temporary constructs capable of performing certain independent actions and/or to be under your full command, like pawns in a chess games. Another possibility would be an “Animation” Overspark, capable of giving motion to elements that lack them, like creating golems out of various materials, giving “life” to toys and dolls, or even using dead bodies as soldiers. (That's the closer one can get to “traditional” necromancy, because soul manipulation and resurrection are also forbidden) Of course, the construct would lack personality and sentience, with any semblance of it being an extension of their master's own. Hmmmm... That said, a character with multiple personality disorder and this power would be rather interesting, because that would give their other selves a tangible way to interact with each other.

And yes, heterochromia is possible among Albion's people... Maybe slightly more common than on the real world, (siblings sharing this trait wouldn't be unusual, for example) but still not too widespread. For that matter, unusual hair colors (blue, green, pink, etc.) and highly divergent skin tones are also possible, and nobody would raise a fuzz if a kid with a relatively “unusual” characteristic is born... Unless they have rainbow-colored hair, because they would call shenanigans while looking straight into the camera... And then the Mary-Sue Alarm would go crazy.

@Lemonus: It's not so much that I hate it, but I'm not entirely convinced either... That said, it's mostly a minor issue, but I could use some help with the character's and places names. I don't like “Geartown” at all...

Whatever might be the case, I'd be glad if you could join to the story; the more the merrier they said. I intend to start as soon as possible, so it would be nice if you could post a preview of your character concept.

@Rez: If you already have an idea for a new character from new race and/or town, I highly encourage you to share it. Odds of me incorporating them into the setting are rather high, as I don't have anything set in stone, and I want to make the world as diverse as possible, as well as to make the players an integral part in the creation of it.

By the way, analogous to elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, animal-hybrids (like minotaurs, centaurs... and maybe fox-people) exist on this setting, but there are also other less orthodox and outlandish sentient species out there... I don't want to spoil the surprises, though, but keep that in mind if you want to create a new race: It's not necessary to stick to “traditional” fantasy tropes, so you can be as creative and off-wall as you'd like. (unless I find your idea personally offensive... but that's highly unlikely to happen)

< Message edited by V_Phantom -- 4/20/2014 18:30:35 >
Post #: 5
4/20/2014 17:55:07   
Lord Darkblade

This seems like an interesting game. Anyways, why exactly can't we have an overspark friend from our backstories? Also, how would abilities gained from a bond such as mentor and proteges, or between friends who have become blood brothers?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 6
4/20/2014 18:41:44   
Rez

@^: Its so you can't just get free powers from the start.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 7
4/20/2014 18:46:14   
Lord Coake

so what, exactly, is the technology setting for this game, I see that Albion has "Advanced technology", but what exactly does that include?
AQW  Post #: 8
4/20/2014 18:47:11   
V_Phantom

@Darkblade: As I've mentioned, it's primarily to avoid giving any of the players an unfair edge over the others, and to encourage interactions with other player characters. However, there's another reason: I want to avoid " Satellite Characters" as much as possible. After a particular experience that KK and I had with a player running a particularly bad case of that, we have grown to despite them a lot, as they usually make for seriously lousy and cringe worthy interactions, specially when they're basically a walking power-up/plot-device with no personality whatsoever.

That said, it's theoretically possible to start with a friend who EVENTUALLY gains an Overspark. That's something really important I forgot to mention: Overspark is a "contagious" gift, and if a character's relationship with a person that lacks one grows to a certain level, it's possible for them to acquire one, too... With a nifty free upgrade for the two of them as bonus. But, in order for them to reach that level, you have to demonstrate (in-story) that their friendship/rivalry/love/etc. is genuine via compelling character interactions. Character development and exploration is crucial to make Oversparks more powerful.

Anyway, the rule of thumb with Overspark growth is: The most complex and intense the bond, the more powerful and versatile their powers get. Also, the emotions should be reciprocated in order for that link to be established. Even if an apprentice has a high stem for their mentor, theirs Overspark won't grow unless said person has a similar level of respect in return. But, yes: Bonds between mentors and apprentices make their powers grow too.
Post #: 9
4/20/2014 18:48:21   
Chazero

This sounds really interesting. I also have an idea for races. Intelligent Elementals. Their will be more than one kind. The number of variants will be based on the number of environments you will create for the world of Overspark. Each type will also have a different general personality towards each other and other races.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
4/20/2014 19:36:07   
V_Phantom

@Lord Coake: Albion's tech level is tall over the place right now because of their strange circumstances. During the peak of their civilization, their tech was on the modern/near-future side of things, with a few things far too advanced for their own good. (like their invincible-dome-of-doom) Right now, they've devolved to an early industrial-era level, but they have pieces of "high-end" technology that pop here and there, like long distance communicators (kinda like radios/cellphones), and "robot" servants who help them with manual labor. (but are a bit too clumsy for combat or more complex tasks) Inside of the ghost city of Neo-Albion there are still pieces of working tech from their golden era, but they're progressively degrading more and more with each passing day.

The rest of the world relies on a more "conventional" level of technology, similar to that of your standard medieval fantasy setting, thanks to the great war that almost wiped civilization las time... Nonetheless, there are pieces of "lost technology" all over the world; some rather useful, others extremely dangerous... You'll eventually see. Besides, there might be settlements with technology similar (or even superior) to Albion's glory days... But you'll have to play/read in order to find out.

@Chazero: Elementals are rather awesome, so I like that idea. Don't hesitate to share some (character) concepts related to them; even if I can't use them immediately, there's no doubt I'll find a way to introduce them into the upcoming adventures.
Post #: 11
4/20/2014 19:37:41   
Lord Darkblade

I probably worded it wrong, but I meant was an in-game reason for no Overspark backstory friends, as in how common are they, and what would the abilities from a Mentor-Protege would manifest.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 12
4/20/2014 19:50:59   
kkutwar

In all honesty I don't actually hate anything, but I do get annoyed by stuff. However cardboard would of had more personality and life than his characters so... Besides that, I take it befriending multiple Oversparks with the same element (say Lightning) would provide an overall bonus to its growth rate? In addition, would new Oversparks have the same element as the person they got it from (so Fire Oversparks makes more Fire) or is the Overspark element completely random?

Question: By combining Enchanting, Summoning, and Animation, would that enable one to create more or less an independent being? I figure the Enchanting would be there to imbue a Core with intelligence, the Summoning to create/whatnot the desired components, and then Animation to give the body life so the Core can control it. Another question, would a Transmutation Overspark be an acceptable type?

Third question: Are emotions completely required for Overspark related matters, or just the presence of a bond? So, assuming two Oversparks can somehow have a strong bond lacking any emotion does anything happen? Oh, regarding complex bonds, can literally anything we imagine apply (like a time-displaced sibling who had imperfect clones made of them and they're completely hopeless without you) or only "possible"/normal things (normal being anything from friend to [ex]slave)?

Yet another question: Since you mentioned multiple personality disorder, does each personality get their own Overspark or do they share one? In addition, what about someone who has two or more whole minds/souls/whatever in their body? Do each get/keep their own Overspark, or does only the dominant person get one? In addition, would it be possible for an Overspark bond to be made with an unborn child (probably under the assumption it has a mind already and you're capable of telepathically communicating)?

Oh, and regarding non-sentient creatures: Are they completely incapable of having Oversparks and forming bonds? In addition, does having an Overspark cause non-sentient/stupid creatures to have an IQ boost? Furthermore, do Overspark Bonds defy language barriers or would you still have to learn the language of the other person to understand them? Another question: Since Oversparks are "contagious", would it be (eventually) possible for someone to deliberately give people Oversparks without actually being friends of any kind? In addition, should someone manage that could they shove Artificial Oversparks into someone who has them "naturally" to make them instantly stronger?

I would also like to know, for those loner villain types, are they at a complete disadvantage for having no friends or can Oversparks improve over time even without them? Speaking of, what happens if a Overspark is a narcissist? In addition, can inanimate objects be imbued with power by an extreme emotional attachment from an Overspark?

Besides that, what is your opinion on Angel and Demon (like) beings for this game? Furthermore, are there any notable legends/myths/etc of the Albionian people our characters could know of? Oh, and regarding further biological stuff is it just bodily colors that are different for Albionians? Or are other things like growth rate, potential longevity, gestation, and so on different from Humans?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
4/20/2014 19:55:53   
V_Phantom

@Darkblade: Ooooh... Well, the in-story reason is simple: Sibylle is a wild card who likes doing things as she pleases, without any kind of rhyme nor reason. When she granted the Overspark to the first bearers, she didn't select them because they were "pure of heart", nor for their abilities, nor potential, nor any specific characteristic... She basically made a dice-roll and went for it.

Right now, roughly a 7% of people born after Albion's exodus has an Overspark, (with the percentage being lower for other settlements) so it's not that uncommon, but not widespread enough. Also, while the gift was granted during their return, the powers didn't manifest until relatively recently, so they are still getting familiar with them. (they still don't know the reason why some of them are evolving, among other things)

About mentor-protege's growth... Well, here's another rule of thumb: "Positive" relationships (friendship/romance/respect/etc.) generate combined abilities, while "negative" ones create counter-measures against one another.

< Message edited by V_Phantom -- 4/20/2014 19:58:51 >
Post #: 14
4/20/2014 21:33:07   
Lord Darkblade

OK, now that's clarified, here's another question, what kind of government system is Albion? Is it a form of feudalism, republic, confederation of states under one supreme ruler elected after the previous ruler's death?

Name: Jason Darkblade(Hey look, it's a universal parallel to the original)

Appearance: Disheveled shoulder length black hair that is usually in a ponytail, grayish blue eyes, slightly arced eyebrows, thin lips that are generally scowling, pale skin. He wears brown blacksmith's clothes and apron and keeps a sword at his hip.

Personality: Jason is a very elusive person, he is the kind of person who rarely speaks and as such has a hard time making friends, and when he does, the bond he forms is great and will never let them down, even at the cost of his own life.

Job: Blacksmith

Hobbies: Sword-fighting, reading.

Skills: Swordsmanship, various forms of combat training, blacksmithing

Family and friends: His friends and family consists mostly of his parents and brother, and his only friend a now ex-soldier who has been with Jason through thick and thin.

Story so far:

Most of Jason's early life was just normal, it wasn't until it was noticed that he didn't really interact with other kids that his family thought something was wrong. Eventually though he met Daniel Hunter, a kid who had a mean streak who had defended Jason after Jason was ganged up by some of the other kids. Afterwords Daniel and Jason became friends and formed a bond, they played together, and when they became apprentices under the blacksmith. When Jason was 15 he developed his overspark, and he had managed to hide it until now, a week after he and Daniel got back from their time in the army.

Personal Objectives: To try and get some power in Albion to help further it to glory.

Overspark: Momentum Shift, the ability to manipulate movement. This power allows its user to temporally slow or outright deny the ability of objects and creatures to move. Higher levels allow for increasingly more complex maneuvers, like redirection or amplification of movement.

Overspark Skills:

*Level 1 - Momentum Stop. Jason can project an “aura” within 2 meters (roughly 7 feet) around him that allows him to temporally slow or completely stop objects and people moving towards him, suspending then in mid-air before they fall after the effect ends. The higher the kinetic energy, the more difficult it is to apply the effect until it becomes impossible. (Jason can easily stop the sword swing of a burly man, but the strike of giant wielding an enormous war-hammer is too much for him at this level) It also becomes more difficult the more objects and/or people he has to focus at the same time, so a rain of projectiles is an effective way to bypass this ability. Jason can also apply this effect on himself, nullifying damage or death by falling, and allowing him to stop in mid-air for limited periods of time.

< Message edited by Lord Darkblade -- 4/28/2014 20:08:28 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 15
4/20/2014 23:02:58   
Chazero

Name: Aigis Palladion

Appearance: Short blonde hair with a blue headband. She also has dark blue eyes and a cute face that has starstruck several men in the past. She has pale skin with a bit of tan to it. She also usually wears a light blue sundress and leather boots. In her workshop, she wears a dark shirt with a brown apron over it, baggy pants, brown boots, and a bandana around her neck. She wields a small machine gun that is usually concealed that uses bullets of her own design. She usually has a sling bag with her that has a secret pocket for her gun and ammunition. What can be normally seen in her bag are her personal belongings.

Personality: Aigis is sweet, gentle, empathetic, strong-hearted and with a talent for leadership. She is also very polite to everybody unless that somebody threatens her or anybody she cares for. She is also quite fond of tinkering with things, finding out how they work and how to make it better.

Job: Artificer

Hobbies: Gardening, target practice, cooking, creating things

Skills: Combat-quality reflexes, skilled shooting, herbalism, cooking, engineering

Family and friends: Aigis doesn't know who her real parents are and she doesn't have any siblings she knows of so she considers her mentor as her father. She only has 2 true friends out of the many acquaintances she has made over the years. They are Peter and Karen.

Story so far:

Aigis was left in the front porch of an orphanage as a baby. She was found by the orphanage's owner and took her in. When Aigis was 7 years old, she was adopted by her mentor, Derek Palladion, an esteemed artificer in Geartown. Aigis was then given the last name of Palladion. She was taught the ways of inventing. Her first creation was a simple single-shot gun. It was an incredible feat considering she was only 14 when she created it. When she was 15, she met Karen Newton in the market while doing errands. Karen was the apprentice of a herbalist. She is also quite the cook. They became good friends as they taught each other their respective skills. At the age of 18, Aigis' overspark awakened when she was surrounded by wolves when she was looking for rare herbs in the nearby fields. She didn't have her gun at the time and she thought she would die. In a great burst of energy, an armored being appeared in front of her slaughtering the wolves. She was astonished by what she just did. She decided to keep it a secret. When she went back to Geartown she decided to visit one of the captain of the guards that she had acquainted with, Peter Skyripper. Peter taught Aigis the basic and advanced techniques of combat. At around the same time at night, Aigis would create a weapon that could protect her if she didn't need Palladion. At the age of 19 before her 20th birthday, she had finished her training with Peter. She then said thank you to him and Peter said to Aigis an advanced birthday greeting. On the night before her birthday, she had finished her weapon along with its ammunition, a small machine gun that was small enough to fit in her bag to remain concealed while still having a lot of power and being able to carry a decent amount of ammunition. On the day of her birthday, while Aigis, her friends, and her acquaintances were partying in a tavern, Derek went back to the workshop to get something when suddenly, there was an explosion. Aigis went outside to see where the explosion came from. When she saw smoke coming from the direction of the workshop, she quickly ran to the workshop only to find the workshop building in smithereens and her mentor's charred body. Aigis cried on her knees with the loss of her adoptive father. When she looked up, she saw a shadow on one of the roofs who seemed to be holding a detonator remote. She then has sworn vengeance.

Personal Objectives: To get revenge for her adoptive father's death.

Overspark: Guardian Summon, the ability to summon a spectral ally to fight by your side. The entity, called Palladion after Aigis' mentor, resembles a floating "armored" humanoid which acquires more weapons and equipment at its power increases. The spirit and the user are synchronized, so any damage Pallidion receives will be inflicted upon Aigis too.

Overspark Skills:

*Level 1 - Brawler. Palladion's first form is equipped with a basic armor capable of deflecting certain physical strikes. Its armament is limited to its own fists and extremities at this point, but its great speed and strength allow it to pummel to dust almost any enemy within its 3 meters (10 feet) of effective range.

< Message edited by Chazero -- 5/1/2014 8:47:47 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
4/20/2014 23:14:52   
kkutwar

Question, is she secretly a robot? Which now has me asking some more questions for V: Is any of that lost technology robots, and can robots have/develop Oversparks if they do exist? Additionally, as the mechanics of Oversparks becomes better understood in-universe could technology be made to augment abilities or forcefully awaken them? Cause I kind of want there to be Evokers now because of Chazero's character and Overspark.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 17
4/20/2014 23:35:05   
Chazero

I don't intend to make her a robot. It just seemed that the technology in the game and the power possibilities made me want to make a version of Aigis for the game.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
4/20/2014 23:55:10   
Rez

Name: Silvar Stoneclaw

Appearance: Stands tall at 6'3'' and weighs 220lbs, quite muscular. Shoulder length grey hair, silver eyes. Wears no shoes and often no shirt, his pants are hide with leather knee pads. He has a single metal left shoulder guard with a strap across his chest, and one leather and metal gauntlet on his left arm. He is seem usually carrying a engraved Bo Staff.
In Wolf form He looks normal Grey like his clan except he has Silver fur around his neck a stripe down his back and on the ends of his feet, and tail.

Personality: Silvar is a curious one, he likes finding out a lot about other races, and is always well mannered around them. He is always in pack mode and if one displays authority he will respect it, if they do not, he will take charge. He is a Fierce fighter and will protect his "pack".

Job: Silvar is the Beta of the pack, the second in command and leader while the Alphas are away. His Job is keeping the pack in line and advisor to the Alphas.

Hobbies: Hunting, Interacting with other races, exploration

Skills: Trained fighter. Tracking, Hunting, Transformation. Lycan Abilities

Family and friends: Silvars Mother and Father are the Alphas of his pack, he has 2 brothers and a sister, but he was the most assertive and dominate one making him the beta.
His Father Balor the Alpha is a Large man, who leads the Lycan pack with Authority, he does not take disrespect and fiercely defends his territory. He has sark Grey fur with Silver accents.. His Mother Linara is the Female Alpha who does the same as her mate, she is very unique having blue and white fur.

His two brothers Linus and Ramlus are always competing with each other fighting for dominance, but they are both loyal and good fighters. They often hunt at patrol together. His sister Luna is another Blue Lycan, but she is small, so she does not fight often, she relies more on her bothers than herself.

Silvar has a perspective mate from the Clan, a White Lycan named Crysala.

Story so far: Silvar is one of the legendary Lycans born into the new world, they have no knowledge of the war or the past Albion. Silvar was born into a litter of 4. he quickly asserted himself and was chosen to be the beta of the clan. He grew quickly to this role, and showed the natural ability to lead. He was almost bred to lead the clan in the future. Silvar often volunteered for border duty when there was nothing important going on in the clan. He has met many different races and knows some cultural nuances. He has an important position as a beta and as an advisor to his Father he also knows many other clan leaders and where to find them. Currently Silvar is now exploring outside of his clan territory looking for adventure.

Personal Objectives: Silvar is out for the betterment of his clan, and the possibility of creating his own.

Overspark: Gravitational Force - Oversparks are extremely rare for a Lycans to possess. Much lower than 1% Silvar was gifted with one. Gravitational Force, the ability to manipulate the effects of gravity on objects and creatures. Altering the weight of other entities is the first feat Silvar can achieve with this power, but higher levels allow for more complex interactions and effects.

Overspark Skills: *Level 1 - Contact Manipulation. This ability allows Silvar to temporally increase or decrease the weight of objects which he has contact with, as long as he keeps contact with them. The more dramatic the change, and the greater the entity's mass, the more energy it consumes. At this level, Silvar can reduce the weight of an entity up to a 1/50 of its normal state, or increase it up to 50 times. He can also apply this effect of himself, allowing him to make incredibly long and high jumps by reducing his weight, or to increase the impact of his attacks by making himself super-heavy, among other applications.

< Message edited by Rez -- 4/27/2014 23:46:22 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 19
4/21/2014 1:34:03   
V_Phantom

Jason Darkblade, Aigis Palladion and Silvar Stoneclaw are approved. Though, there are some minor corrections/details I need to address:

@Darkblade: At the start of the story, Albion doesn't have an army on the strict sense of the word, as that's something that requires an infrastructure and chain-of-command they don't have right now. “Soldiers” do exist, though, but they function more like a mix between town-guards, hunters and rangers. Is that OK for Jason's friend?

@Chazero: None of the people currently living in Geartown was around during the time of the great war, as that happened several centuries ago, so it wouldn't be possible for Aigis' mentor to be that old. Other than that, everything else related to her backstory is OK.

@Rez: Everything is in order, with nothing to object right now... Though, it would be nice to know what kind of person Crysala is.

I also approve the Overspark types that you've all chosen... Though, as I've mentioned, I have control over their level of power and versatility, so I'll write some tweaks for them to adjust them to the “basic level”. Once I've finished that, you'll have to add them to your character profile for easy reference.

Also, I'd like to know a bit more about the characters on each of your backstories. It's not necessary for their profile to be as long as your main character's, but it's important to point out the characteristics that define them.

Regarding Darkblade’s question about Albion's form of government: Right now, they're under a transition to a democratic system, with a council and a regent at the helm of power. The details to their original form of government aren't too important, because it faded a long time ago when their society fell into anarchy ( ACTUAL anarchy, not the strawman version of it) after Etherium's decay.

Pretty much any citizen can aspire to become a member of the council, though they tend to favor the ones with most experience, but it wouldn't be impossible for a player to become part of it if they display great aptitudes.

I'll reply to KK's questions later... Because those are a lot of questions, d00d! Plus, I need some time to think about the answer to some of them, but I'll hurry up, so don't worry.
Post #: 20
4/21/2014 2:08:11   
kkutwar

I just realized, but are the powers of Oversparks tied with the mind or the soul? If the Overspark's power is connected with the mind, what happens should one suffer a sudden severe personality change or even have their original mind erased to have a new one planted? In addition, what happens should one somehow lose their Overspark and what would happen if two Oversparks somehow completely swapped their powers? Furthermore, if losing an Overspark is possible what happens when you get a new Overspark? Oh, and speaking of anarchy how would a major psychological breakdown or complete insanity affect Oversparks? I would also like to know what happens should an Overspark become consumed with overwhelming despair. Oh, and is it possible for a sociopath to be born with an Overspark?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
4/21/2014 2:31:29   
Chazero

Brief description of people important in Aigis' life:
Derek Palladion was 57 at the time of his death. He was considered an esteemed artificer in Geartown because he would make several machines that helped Geartown run. He was invited to the council several times but he declined every invitation. He adopted Aigis because he wanted to pass his knowledge to the next generation. He also didn't have the charm to get himself a lady. He was also quite the drinker but he still cared for Aigis as if she was his own daughter. Derek, before his death, had gray hair, a beard, yellow eyes, and a wise-looking face. He is usually seen wearing a brown trench coat with the sleeves folded until just below the elbow.

Karen Newton is currently 20. She is Aigis' first true friend. They would teach other skills they learnt from their mentors when they were both fellow apprentices. Karen is now a full fledged herbalist running her own business. She is quite experienced with her healing abilities having saved many lives in the past. She has long black hair, green eyes, and a face that has starstruck as many men as Aigis has. She is usually seen wearing a green scarf.

Peter Skyripper is currently 22. He was a prodigy in the military, quickly rising up in the ranks. He and Aigis met in a tavern one night while Aigis was on her way back to the workshop. They quickly became acquaintances, just as Aigis did with everybody else in the tavern. They then took note of each other's jobs just in case they need each others assistance. This proved useful 1 year later when Aigis went up to Peter and asked him to train her in the art of combat. Peter accepted to train her. They trained almost everyday with breaks on weekends. They also became quite close, making another true friend for Aigis. Peter has short brown hair and brown eyes. He is quite handsome. Outside of combat, he wears light armor while wearing a leather suit and a sword in a scabbard on his waist. In combat, he is seen wearing full plate armor with a blue cape and a helmet wielding a sword and shield.

< Message edited by Chazero -- 5/1/2014 8:49:06 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
4/21/2014 6:58:33   
Lemonus

So, you made a human Aigis with emotions?

Still thinking of something to write, someone NOT quiet this time.

@below
I'm talking about pre-SEES Aigis.

< Message edited by Lemonus -- 4/21/2014 7:02:39 >
DF AQW  Post #: 23
4/21/2014 7:01:03   
Chazero

Aigis has emotions later in the story of P3.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 24
4/21/2014 23:38:28   
V_Phantom

OK, now I'll try to answer KK's questions... As I've said, some of them are kinda complicated.

1.- Oversparks with a similar nature don't provide any particular bonus to growth. Even if your had the Fire Overspark, you'd still get the same power boost by befriending either Magma or Ice. It's the strenght of the bonds what determines the “quality” of the upgrade.

2.- New Oversparks born from a strong bond aren't a copy of the one which caused their “awakening”. And, as a matter of fact, each Overspark is completely unique, and none has the exact same power set as any other in the world, even if their nature is similar. (ie. it would be possible for 2 Fire Oversparks to exist, but odds are one would employ heat rays, while the other would focus on explosions)

3.- Hmmmm... Theoretically, yes, it would be possible to create an artificial being using an Overspark combination along the lines of what you described. However, finding and befriending all the bearers that carry said Oversparks would be EXTREMELY farfetched, and too much of a contrived coincidence for it to happen any time soon. But, if you REALLY want to create an artificial being, then you could use the labs inside Neo-Albion in order to assemble one. Be aware though, that while their knowledge of robotics was notable, their A.I. investigations were extremely poor, as they never intended their creations to be more than glorified tools/servants. And, even if you managed to create a working AI, it wouldn't have true sentience, because only gods have the power to infuse a creation like that with a soul. (*wink* *wink*)

4.- Transmutation is a feasible Overspark type, yes... Though, I'd like to know what you have in mind, because that's one power that has the potential to be a serious story-breaker. (why do we need to scout the world for resources when we have a guy who can turn anything into anything?)

5.- Emotion and understanding are essential for Overspark evolution. Even if the bond between the users is extremely important otherwise, if they don't have an emotional connection and a level of understanding for the other, evolution won't happen.

6.- People with multiple personalities only have one Overspark... To begin with. That's one possibility that Sibylle didn't consider at first, (OK, it's not like she ever stops to think seriously about anything... But, you get the idea) but it would be possible for a person with multiple souls living on the same body to develop more than one Overspark. Of course, same rules as with “standard” bonds apply to them, and only one Overspark can be used at a time. (with a “personality swap” being necessary to access the others) Note: No, you can't use this method to acquire Oversparks with high levels of synergy, (like the combination you talked about previously) as I'd choose what kinds of Oversparks the other personalities get.

7.- Non-sentient creatures, like animals or monsters CAN develop Oversparks. Oddly enough, it would be theoretically possible for some of them to develop powers that evolve faster than those between humans/sentient-beings because their minds are more simple, but also more “honest”. For that matter, a common language really helps, but it's possible for an Overspark to evolve even if the users don't share a language, as long as they manage to connect with and understand each other in some way.

8.- New Oversparks beyond the ones that Sibylle first granted are born from the bonds with other people, there's no other way for them to spread. They aren't transferable nor removable either, they belong to their original master until their death, when they return to the source.

9.- People with no emotional bonds whatsoever can't evolve their Overspark. But, as I've previously stated, loners can still evolve using the rivalry system. But... A person completely detached from others around them... No, they can't evolve at all, and they'd be better looking for other power sources.

10.- No, narcissists and people with attachment to inanimate objects can't evolve their Oversparks by intensively loving themselves nor desperately caring for their pet rocks. Emotional feedback is indispensable. (darn, I'm starting to sound like a broken record)

11.- Angels and demons are possible on this setting... However, they wouldn't have any direct relationship to the gods, as it's usually the case. They would be highly advanced lifeforms which happen to resemble angels and demons. Gods on this setting aren't good nor evil, so it doesn't make much sense for them to have angels nor demons as servants/envoys/enforcers/etc.

12.- There are legends and a mythology, yes... But, I'm still working on that part. (as it's not that important during the first part of the story) It's mostly stuff related to the gods and their past exploits.

13.- For simplicity sake: Yes, Albionians and other humans on this setting are mostly similar to those of the real world. (besides cosmetic differences) Maybe slightly more resilient and stronger than realistically possible, but that comes with the territory when dealing with a high fantasy setting.

14.- Oversparks are tied to the soul. And yes, even if the users lost their memories, the bond between them would still prevail.

15.- About Overspark losses... I've already answered that question. (see above)

16.- … Don't make me repeat myself so much. Argh... Good grief... Emotion alone isn't enough to affect an Overspark; strong emotional bonds and understanding are what makes it evolve.

17.- Yep, sociopaths can be born with an Overspark. As I've said, Sibylle could have granted one to such a person without knowing. But, once again, it would be nigh impossible for them to make them evolve.

Important announcement!

I'm waiting for KK and Lemonus' applications to be submitted. Once they are, I'll publish the first update. More players will be able to join after that point, so don't worry about that... But, I want to start as soon as possible because of my condition.

Clinical depression sometimes makes it impossible for me to write, so if I don't take advantage when I'm not in a period of low energy, I don't know when I'll be able to write again. Besides, once I start setting things in motion, odds are it won't bother me for a while, as having my mind busy delays those crises significantly.

< Message edited by V_Phantom -- 4/22/2014 1:52:50 >
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> Forum Games >> Forum Games OOC >> Overspark Quest OOC
Page 1 of 41234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition