Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=OS= The Progress of Oversoul

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [Oversoul] >> Oversoul General Discussion >> =OS= The Progress of Oversoul
Page 1 of 2312345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/4/2014 3:03:05   
Nulgath

Hello Oversoul Players,

First of all, I want to apologize for not explaining things sooner but I wasn't at liberty to do so. But now it seems to be okay so I'll try to explain as best I can and will answer as many questions as I can. I also want to say I appreciate your support of my work and game Oversoul.

I believe Oversoul was released much too early. I had Rev as a great apprentice artist. I was the sole artist/animator/designer of everything visual in Oversoul which was a huge undertaking. Especially, with the higher level of detail I started adding to the characters. ( Hence, why I designed AQW so simple in the beginning so it was much easier to crank out a lot of content as a solo artist. )

Oversoul started out strong despite it be released too early. The major hurdles was the server code. This took about 90% of the work on OS. It had to be stable before things like gameplay could be focused on. This is why gameplay features slowed to a crawl very quickly.

I am in no way a programmer or coder. I am strictly an animator that can also design characters. The Oversoul coders, Warlic and Rolith, had other projects they had to help with so they we're not full-time on OS. This was also a reason progress was slow.

Despite that, support for OS was strong but sometime between January and February a major coding disaster happened you can see posted March 18, 2013 on the Oversoul website. At the time I didn't realize just how bad the mistake was. I thought, oh nice it got fixed. But the new signups for the Oversoul game was blocked for TWO MONTHS... This basically sealed Oversoul's fate and it's financial support.

It never recovered from that coding error. Oversoul's Beta Revolution was the attempt at re-introducing the game to the public, which I think improved the game by 100%, but it had little affect.
So with that, if we don't have the player numbers, Oversoul can't make much of an advancement in gameplay.

This answers why Oversoul only releases new characters and not the gameplay features I wanted for OS. There's no resources left for the programming needed.

I truly believe Oversoul could have been a great success. Warlic and Rolith also believed in this project and we're proud of the achievements we did have. We put our heart and soul into it and it still failed, it makes me sad. OS isn't a completed game, it's not where it should have been. All I can say is I'm sorry I couldn't get the game finished for you players. You deserve better.

I'm so grateful to you players that kept supporting OS and hoping for it's success. It inspires me.
I'll try to answer any questions I can through the week here.
-Nulgath

Tagged. looks important so it can be dressed important :D ~Therril Oreb

< Message edited by Therril Oreb -- 6/13/2014 18:39:47 >
Post #: 1
6/4/2014 3:08:38   
megakyle777

I have a few questions here:

quote:

"Hey Nulgath, if I may ask, what's going on with OS and AE? I've seen a ton of quotes that seem to show Artix and others have no faith in OS, with one recent interview has Artix lamenting (Albeit jokingly, but there some truth in jokes I find) that games after AQW were flops, That OS was out of Beta and was populated only by die hard fans (Said by Cysero) And that most worryingly of all when I asked Artix about HS and OS that "OS needs the core fun fixed." Now, I know Artix has a habit of saying things the wrong way (like one notorious DF example when he once said that a dragon needed to be drawn good and meant looked noble and stuff rather then it looked bad as is) and I KNOW he's a cool guy since I've talked to him some and he's helped me on occasion, but as you can imagine, my confidence in OS's future has been shaken up, and I and others are quite mad at them for saying this stuff.

Also, tell Artix that if these were supposed to be innocent comments, he needs to think more about what he says. I know he means well but his words often have a horrible habit of being able to be misinterpreted in the WORST ways."

quote:

"Hey Nulgath, I was wondering, if for whatever reason you have to keep just making new characters for a bit, do you think it would be possible to look at the Character Creation thread and OS Art Galleries for some ideas? While some were entered for contests there are a LOT that have been made before or since and it would be fun to see a ton of forumite creations.

quote:

"Hey Nulgath, can you give some info about the intended progress of Oversoul, how far you are with that, what plans have changed and some details on plans for the future? We do not know what is still planned and how, and many are worried OS has been abandoned. Also, people are annoyed with just character releases.

quote:

"Hey Nulgath, do you think it could be possible to hold a second OS Tournament and advertise it on all the AE games? May give OS a boost? Also, what happened to everyone participating getting a unique card and what was the plan for the card? In fact what are the plans for cards in general? We need more decks to buy."

Also, the most important one really: Does that mean you and AE are giving up on Oversoul?

Because I really don't want that to happen.

Man, i and the forumites will do whatever we can ti support this game. You need a part time writer, I'll do what I can. You need artists and animaters? I'm sur we can find a few in the community. You need coders? I can think of three guys who are practicing and would help OS.

We are willing to help, if you will accept it.
DF  Post #: 2
6/4/2014 3:10:16   
elite dark slayer

When will artifacts and stats be properly implemented? Also any sneak peeks for friday the thirteenth?

< Message edited by elite dark slayer -- 6/4/2014 3:11:08 >
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 3
6/4/2014 3:11:50   
Gorillo Titan

Pretty much what you said is the game doesn't have enough people and programming and adding new features would just be a waste right?
Post #: 4
6/4/2014 3:13:01   
megakyle777

Above: read the first post. It's unlikely to occur.

But as I said Nulgath, we DON'T want OS to die. I'm no good at coding, drawing or animating, but I DO consider myself a half decent writer and I'm willing to lend a hand to OS. I'm sure others can fill the gap. We are willing to help.

Also, hold another Tournament. But this time, Offer some sort of Grand Prize. Like some SG, or a exclusive character.

< Message edited by megakyle777 -- 6/4/2014 3:15:04 >
DF  Post #: 5
6/4/2014 3:14:00   
elite dark slayer

I suppose I could write reasonably if it comes to that too.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 6
6/4/2014 3:14:38   
Gorillo Titan

I've talked to several AE people willing to work on OS if you asked them.

Captain Rhurb even said he would work on OS like he did HS once he learned the coding style for it.

< Message edited by Gorillo Titan -- 6/4/2014 3:15:24 >
Post #: 7
6/4/2014 3:18:28   
BJEBLE

I'm glad to help with the game because I really like the idea, and I want to help it reach it's full potential. To start this off on a lighter note, I'll ask you some standard questions(New AK Thread type stuff)
1. What is your favorite character to play as?(Although if you don't play much I would understand.)

2. What was your favorite character to animate/create?

3. Favorite TV Show?

Now that we have some fun questions, a few more serious ones.
1. What feature(s) are you working on? How is your progress on these features?

2. What do you mean by not finished? Did the game need more time in Alpha? What features was it supposed to launch with?

That is all for now, thank you for making a game that entertained me and many other people for such a long time. Good luck on the future updates!

Messi just scored a touchdown while slamdunking it into the goal, which then triggers my trap card allowing me to score a homerun.
DF  Post #: 8
6/4/2014 3:18:44   
Blackshock

Think it's possible to get more OS centric endorsement in other AE games? Like maybe convince their respective dev heads to put up some shops or signs that point to oversoul? If anything, maybe an influx of more players could help boost up game revenue in a way? Sorta like have something in each game like have a shop that sells something oversoul themed and say "Hey, if you want more of this kind of stuff, we have a fancy game called oversoul we'd like you to try out?". If anything, in my opinion, it really is quite important to keep a spotlight on the game to help keep it afloat.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 9
6/4/2014 3:18:54   
megakyle777

If you wish, I can provide examples of my work creating character bios, diary entires ETC. It's not the best script stuff examples, but that is where my major strengths lie and I'm sure I can give script writing a go.

Either way, we ain't gonna let this game die.

< Message edited by megakyle777 -- 6/4/2014 3:20:35 >
DF  Post #: 10
6/4/2014 3:20:47   
Gorillo Titan

I thought making some of the OS characters into classes or pets in AQW would be good idea but only possible by linking your AWQ account and OS account.

Guys the main problem is OS doesn't have enought players. How many player would we need when I first started playing they had about 500 was that enough?

< Message edited by Gorillo Titan -- 6/4/2014 3:22:08 >
Post #: 11
6/4/2014 3:23:03   
elite dark slayer

Give me a drawing I can work with and I'll come up with a bio reasonably quickly
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 12
6/4/2014 3:24:59   
megakyle777

Right, some plans to keep this game alive:

Plan 1: Hold a Grand Tournament with a Grand Prize that people will want, like a NPC and character in OS and AQW or something.

Plan 2: MAJOR Advertisements on all AE games for said tournament. While we are at it, show some advertisement love to HS and MQ too.

Plan 3: Forumites willing to support the game. I am willing to help with world building, Diaries, Bios ETC, as well as script writing if noone better can be fond.

< Message edited by megakyle777 -- 6/4/2014 3:29:01 >
DF  Post #: 13
6/4/2014 3:27:09   
Gorillo Titan

Plan 1 and 2 seem alright.

Plan 3 could end very badly with random people just putting ideas into the game.

How about a contest over all game with a reward that's a one of a kind item drawn by you?

< Message edited by Gorillo Titan -- 6/4/2014 3:28:09 >
Post #: 14
6/4/2014 3:28:23   
megakyle777

I'm just suggesting ANYTHING that can help OS live again. I am NOT giving up on this game.
DF  Post #: 15
6/4/2014 3:29:11   
Lemonus

@shock
They already did that with AQW and AQ, doubt it's happening again. They can do it with DF, MQ and HS though, and AQ only sold the OS deck spell without advertising much I think, AQ could do a crossover instead maybe.

Can you confirm if what Cysero has said is true? If so, well that's kinda sad. And are you still planning on how to get your large playerbase back? Can OS get back on its feet anytime soon?

I know you're not giving up on this and neither are we! Like what Kyle said, we can always lend a helping hand if you need it.

Hah, maybe they can hold an OS contest/tourney that has both an AQW and OS grand prize.

< Message edited by Lemonus -- 6/4/2014 3:32:02 >
DF AQW  Post #: 16
6/4/2014 3:31:38   
Gorillo Titan

Suggesting anything isn't really the best idea is it?

What we need is steady releases and better communication with the DEVs we average about 80 people on a release day 30 - 50 on an average day.

Put in features like AQW has when you log in so many times in a row you get free potions to encourage people to play the game on a regular bases.

Adding more quest to the game doesn't have to be anything amazing for now and adding ways for people to get gold faster than just farming.

Nulgath logged off again its 12 am in California.

< Message edited by Gorillo Titan -- 6/4/2014 3:33:20 >
Post #: 17
6/4/2014 3:34:16   
megakyle777

Gorillo, OS needs more people to do that.

More people=More money.=more Money=more resources for OS. More resources for OS=Better updates.

I'm willing to do whatever I can to support this game.
DF  Post #: 18
6/4/2014 3:35:44   
elite dark slayer

Maybe include a small chance to say, get a soul gem or two from a battle like aq. It doesn't have to be a huge chance, but just enough so that farming is a bit less boring.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 19
6/4/2014 3:37:26   
Blackshock

Why not have a referral system? You get a referral link and whenever a person you referred purchases soulgems, you get a small amount of SGs based on how much they got? That and maybe a special shop that unlocks after you referred enough people?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 20
6/4/2014 3:39:07   
elite dark slayer

@blackshock like aqw? If we are going to borrow gimmicks like that from aqw how about things like power gems?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
6/4/2014 3:39:29   
megakyle777

A refferal System could be a GREAT idea!

Also, for forum support, I suggest people change their sings to something along the lines of mine. But better obviosly, and then include it wherever they can (keeping to forum rules of course )

DF  Post #: 22
6/4/2014 3:39:34   
Gorillo Titan

My suggestions are to get more AQW people playing OS to increase the numbers.

All you guys suggesting story and writing stuff isn't helping since it would mean we need new areas coded etc.

Steady character releases and better dev communication is free.

For quest I suggesting stuff like the ogre and orc quest.
Post #: 23
6/4/2014 3:45:14   
Lemonus

Well there's a problem with that gorillo. As stated above, the coders don't have the time to do those kinds of stuff. And I don't think any of us know how to code so we can only write and suggest stuff in preparation for the time the coders are free.

We can only suggest features that require coding as none of us code. We can actually help with writing.

< Message edited by Lemonus -- 6/4/2014 3:49:56 >
DF AQW  Post #: 24
6/4/2014 3:46:31   
Blackshock

One thing I'd also thought of that gives people more reason to keep playing? An achievement system that actually does thing. Get your first legendary? soulgem reward. Collect 15 fire types? a soulgem, deal more than 9000 damage in one turn? soulgem reward.. Something to that effect. Something to keep people driven besides "gotta catch em all".

If anything, the biggest complaint I've heard from my friends who I tried to recruit into playing the game was that there wasn't much to do at the time. Sure, quests could solve that but we still lack the manpower for it so maybe virtual carrots on a stick like tangible achievement rewards might be able to nudge people into playing more instead of just waiting for the next release.

One more idea that comes to mind's just a small fix but I honestly think they should give bigger and better rewards for PVP. At the very least, increase the lower limit for gold and exp gains as to motivate people into actively dueling. That and maybe a counter on the profile that displays PVP wins. As of now, the only reason people PVP besides testing out each other's characters are the elemental tournaments. Besides those, there really isn't much motivation to duel.

Just a few ideas though, still open to change them to suit the circumstances better.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [Oversoul] >> Oversoul General Discussion >> =OS= The Progress of Oversoul
Page 1 of 2312345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition