Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Real Talk: EpicDuel Storyline

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Real Talk: EpicDuel Storyline
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/17/2014 14:30:15   
Ranloth
Banned

*totally not stealing the 'Real Talk'*

OWA has already covered missions content and rewards, so the last thing on the list will be the storyline itself. This is purely for feedback, and it will be taken on board when writing the missions up. (where applicable)

The vast amount of ED's storyline can be found on Forum and Wiki alike, as opposed to having it in-game, which is a bit trickier to do. For newer players, they will not be aware of it as soon as they start playing, or in fact, they may never see the storyline thread or look it up on the Wiki. Our job will include expanding the less used NPCs who have little to no backstory, which does mean more missions. Ideally, we want as much of the story to be in-game as possible, without having to search for it elsewhere just to know what's going on.

Valestra, Habuki, Raymus and Naomi - these four NPCs have been recently revamped, story wise as well as challenge, and given more backstory. Other NPCs in-game will end up getting similar treatment in due time. Whilst we're not looking for ideas on how to expand them, we want the missions (story) to be enjoyable to read through, and relatively easy to follow.

So few questions for you guys:
Do you prefer the story to unfold as you progress through the missions (i.e. Raymus' chain), or something more straightforward (i.e. Naomi)? How about references to other AE games (where possible), or real-life events? Preferences in terms of the story - serious or non-serious, comedy or some drama, etc? Longer chains - with plenty of information to take in but spaced out so it's easier to follow - or shorter - with more information to take in at once and leaving some questions unanswered? And so on.
AQ Epic  Post #: 1
8/17/2014 14:42:06   
Mother1

Personally for me I like it when the story is told mission by mission. For me it gives me a sense of accomplishment seeing as I did the work to earn each piece of the story. Where as with Naomi's chain I got the story without too much effort.
Epic  Post #: 2
8/17/2014 15:18:33   
  Exploding Penguin

In general I prefer thrillers and plot twists in media (books, movies, anime, those kinds of things).

So I would say I much prefer the story folding out slowly, mission by mission, so you don't know the end result and probably can't guess it until you reach the last 10-20% of the missions or so. Also plot twists are the best thing that's ever happened to story.
Epic  Post #: 3
8/18/2014 8:26:51   
Silver Sky Magician

I prefer it to unfold, as with Raymus. I don't think Naomi's story is as straightforward as you claim, though. While the missions themselves made her backstory clear from the start, I think that the Infernal War I ending cutscene was crucial for actually understanding it in context.

I think we should have a good variety of the comic and serious - certainly NPCs like Mirv, Rev, Nightwraith, Titan and Rabble (as well as most minor nameless NPCs like City Guards or Marauder) lend themselves to comedy, whereas most other NPCs tend to be more serious. It would be interesting if the same NPC could display comic and serious sides in different chains, so he/she becomes more fleshed out.

Length-wise, I prefer a series of shorter chains so that I can look forward to something new every week. It would be useful, though, to be able to see the pre-quest dialogue after completing the quest to refresh one's memory, because the post-quest dialogue is often some variant of 'thank you' or 'wait, I'll need more help soon'.

< Message edited by Silver Sky Magician -- 8/18/2014 8:32:34 >
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Real Talk: EpicDuel Storyline
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition