Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

How to nerf caster skills for lower levelers.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> How to nerf caster skills for lower levelers.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/18/2014 5:19:32   
noremako

Caster skills are incredibly overpowered approximately at level 15 and below. At 15 to 25 they are still stronger then normal skills and above 25 it gets blurry due to alot of factors, although still being a very powerful threat.

Now, I don't mind casters being strong at high levels since strength skills with % since they can be just as strong or stronger, but the problem is that at low levels:

15 energy for 3% more - Double Strike = about 6-8 more damage
20 energy for 20 - 30 more damage: many times stronger then strength boosts

The problem is strength powers up very fast. Now, while this seems good, it is bad since that means that at low levels it has to be very low, which is both good and bad but I don't mind it as much as:

Caster skills power up slowly. This is what can affect the game. Every 4-5 levels 10 more damage was a balance thing. However, instead of improving it later on, it needs to be nerfed earlier on to bring it in line with strength based skills.

380 damage maxed with no stat boost for a mage. Can stun, too.
For a merc with double strike, its, with no boost, less then 250 maxed (admittedly, with basic club). Thats blockable, and the cheaper by 25 energy is laughable at that. Especially the cooldown.

One thing, nerf Overload so it actually does less damage then Plasma Bolt, since doing more damage, can stun AND cheaper then Plasma Bolt isn't a sufficiently well made idea.

Thus, the idea.

CASTER SPELLS: Overload e.g.
Let it scale by 3 levels consistent instead of 4-5. Have more powerups instead of being OP head on. It has 7 powerups, 3 level gaps would allow 13 power ups. Caster spells at level 40 are pretty reasonable as far as I can see (unless everyone else disagrees) so the beginning power of Overload would be 450 - 13 x 10 = 320. 60 damage weaker, far more in line with other spells.

Since Plasma Bolt has 11 powerups, it starts off at a semi reasonable 355 damage ending at 465. The 13 powerup system would affect it at a far lower scale, powering it down to 465 - 13 x 10 = 335 damage. More then Overload for 10 more energy, no stun for a stronger potential damage threshold (3.5 stats for 10 more damage to 4 stats for 10 more damage).
Its balancing not only other skills but caster in general.

This would only affect early gameplay since Mercs, BH's and generally the 'evolved' classes have a hard time competing at low levels. This balance would help create an easier flow of players, subsequently, a varied game thats more interesting and explorational.

Post #: 1
8/18/2014 5:22:09   
Remorse

Casters were never a problem until battery.

We should be regulating free costing mana manipulation skills so they are not so spammable and as a direct result caster builds will have counter play against them.

How can we regulate these skills?

Here is an idea : http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21784831
Epic  Post #: 2
8/18/2014 8:50:43   
Silver Sky Magician

^

Actually casters were pretty much always dominant at lower levels, unless you're a BH. Then tough luck.
Post #: 3
8/18/2014 8:58:45   
Remorse

^Dominant, Sorta,

Beatable and counter-able by all classes, yes.

After playing multiple alternate accounts on multiple classes I can safely say that their dominance was purely basic strategy constrained.

If you used a basic repetitive strategy over and over then you would lose often to them,

If you say used an energy shield at the right time or an energy drain at the right time these builds were easily beatable. And I mean easily I hardly ever lost to them even 5 levels above me, with any class I played.

I'm talking of coarse pre passive to active change.

< Message edited by Remorse -- 8/18/2014 8:59:31 >
Epic  Post #: 4
8/18/2014 9:02:16   
Mother1

Basically what remorse said does work against these dex mages even at the lower levels. I have a level 14 BH alt, and I make sure to have energy shield and Static grenade ready when I need them to fight against these dex TM's. While strong they aren't unbeatable at this level for BH.
Epic  Post #: 5
8/18/2014 10:43:06   
Remorse

Yes but the spamabiliaty of battery has made mages considerably broken.

Counters of the past are now a lot less effective especially energy drains.
Epic  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> How to nerf caster skills for lower levelers.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition