Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The term, "noob"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> The term, "noob"
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/13/2014 12:02:59   
Arikonian

First of all I would like to point out that this game is misusing it.
"Noob" is a simple form of newb, short for newbie, short for new player
When I get called a noob I like to often refer them to my Gamma reward :/

Also, by calling another player a noob, unless you somehow are fighting someone a significantly lower level than you, calling them a noob also makes you a noob as you are the same sort of level.

Using the term too many times makes you look insecure and unable to come up with anything good.

So please, call me something else, or use the term correctly.

-Arikonian, Dominus of Death
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/13/2014 12:40:35   
Variation

You're probably getting called a noob a lot because you aren't fully geared. If you're going into 2v2 under-geared and you happen to get a partner who is fully geared you probably won't hear nice things. It's not so bad at your level, but at higher levels there are only weak excuses as to why players aren't fully geared.

So for you, if you don't want to be called a noob as much you should would work towards becoming fully geared (which means getting a sidearm) and create a decent build. If you satisfy those conditions it'll show you as a more experienced player stopping some of the childish insults directed towards you.
Post #: 2
11/13/2014 17:24:52   
Exodasbr

To be fair. This is quite common so I just ignore it. Normally it's just people who take the game too seriously.

If you lose you are a real noob and if they lose you are a lucker noob. (You can't really stop people like that)
AQW Epic  Post #: 3
11/13/2014 17:33:11   
Mother1

@ Exodasbr

which was why many players as far back as beta have been requesting a Mute button to be used so they can't see any of the harassment and name calling that those players along with other immature players have been doing.

To be honest if it was put into game a lot of the changes made wouldn't have been needed.
Epic  Post #: 4
11/13/2014 18:36:28   
Variation

^They already have an ignore system in place, however there is no option to just turn off chat in PvP.

The funny thing is, I myself suggested an ignore system in PvP back in Beta in the old EDF. Now it's in the FSI meaning the developers probably are aware of the suggestion.

< Message edited by Variation -- 11/13/2014 18:49:29 >
Post #: 5
11/13/2014 18:44:44   
poopbum

Sometimes people use the term "noob" out of spitefulness. They call you a noob even though they are the ones getting their rear ends trounced.(by a large margin where "lucker noob" becomes less plausible)

Though it is kinda rare, it still happens. Though I just started playing ED again, I do encounter these people. You ruin their strategy by draining their energy, you get called noob.(in this case it is kinda amusing)

A mute/ignore button would be great, as it lets us focus more on having fun.(apparently you can't ignore players during battle, correct me if I am wrong)
AQ  Post #: 6
11/13/2014 18:46:23   
Mother1

@ poopbum

At the best you can only turn off the chat but you can still see the bubbles of what people are saying. A mute feature would make it where none of that is visible to you.
Epic  Post #: 7
11/13/2014 20:25:33   
  Exploding Penguin

I find that a lot of the time people who use the term "noob" are ones that don't speak English as their first language and don't really understand how offensive or outright rude it can be.

Just don't reply to them and try to not let it get to you. Tolerance is a very good virtue to practice.
Epic  Post #: 8
11/13/2014 21:01:08   
elite dark slayer

I generally just point out that "noob" is not a polite thing to say to people and if I'm in 2v2, where it most often happens, I'm usually backed up by someone.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 9
11/13/2014 21:22:44   
The Jop

Just ignore it. I mean, often it's untrue and it's all the more satisfying if you end up beating them anyway. It's a shame the community isn't friendlier, it would really help the game in general.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
11/13/2014 21:35:09   
Thylek Shran

Its weird that this word is not included in the bad word filter even
thats its the favourite 4-letter word to insult other players.
The insult "luck" is used parallel to "noob" and has the same intention
which is to annoy opponents and generally other players.

v.35.3 (2016-01-23) ~ beam.to/shran
DF Epic  Post #: 11
11/13/2014 22:29:57   
Dual Thrusters

quote:

Q: The player called me a Noob, why isn’t s/he muted.
A: Noob is not a mutable offense as it does not break the chat rules. If a player is doing this simply /ignore them and continue playing.

Well this quote is from the aqw design notes, but meh. The only reason why this doesn't apply is that we can't "/ignore" during a battle
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
11/14/2014 3:09:07   
dfo99

if someone call you of noob in 2v2, you probably really is a noob.
Post #: 13
11/14/2014 3:31:43   
elite dark slayer

I was only level 9. I was testing a build at the time, so that's probably why.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 14
11/14/2014 5:49:31   
The Jop

@dfo99
No, it's usually because they're upset at the way the match is going. You sound like you contribute to the problem.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
11/14/2014 5:54:37   
elite dark slayer

dfo99, your grammar is really weird. It should be " If someone calls you noob in 2v2, you probably are a noob" instead of "if someone call you of noob in 2v2, you probably really is a noob". And even if people are really bad at the game, it gives you no right whatsoever to call them noob. Firstly, it ruins their day, and secondly, it ruins the entire game for them if a bunch of people keep calling them noob. /sigh
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
11/14/2014 10:26:48   
poopbum

Whatever it is the cause of it, noob calling(or any kind of toxic behavior) isn't good for the game. It discourages build experimenting, scares off potential players(such as those that arrived for the 12th anniversary event) and so on....

For now it seems like the only way is to just ignore them through sheer will. Since you can't just block out the chat yet.

And yes it is really nice when you manage to pwn the noob caller later.(and the temptation to go reply with "no u r the noob" will be high, I've seen it in videos)

A rarer few will go beyond noob calling and just start with outright verbal abuse.(even before the battle actually begin) So far I met only one such guy though I pwned him. Still these kinds of people are never good for any place ever.

Oh well... there is always the "report" button though I don't know if it helps yet since I am new.

Annnd I forgot to report the person I mentioned earlier.
AQ  Post #: 17
11/14/2014 13:17:57   
Arikonian

Maybe if there were different language servers, that would help a ton, clear out confusion and generally make the community better.
With maybe 4 worlds, English, Portuguese, Spanish, French and German servers it could work out.
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 18
11/14/2014 14:00:59   
Mother1

@ Arikonian

That could work if we had a population large enough to support it. During peak hours normally the population doesn't rise above 600 unless their is an event that brings people back. During non peak hours the population is barely between 100-300.

Dividing up the population like this would result in some of the people not getting battles at all due to time zone issues, as well as level issues. Others will get longer wait times depending on what server they have.

Epic  Post #: 19
11/16/2014 8:14:23   
SonicTbear

Well, the lower level you are, there's a higher chance you'll run into a butthole who likes to call people "noobs." So I guess level determines your maturity. That doesn't mean you'll run into higher level idiots. But the chance of encountering them is lower if your level is higher. Well, that's how I view it.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
11/16/2014 17:34:47   
Inkwolf

I disagree, Sonic. I ran into lots of fun and polite people at the lower levels, and it wasn't till I was in the 20's that I started running into more than occasional unpleasant, name-calling, way-too-serious players who scream at you when your 2v2 battle tactics are different from what they prefer, or send a barrage of taunts at the opposing side.

Now that I am getting into the 30s, though, it has died down a little again.

'Noob' is annoying, but it's better than the creatively-misspelled swear words some of these people throw around. If we filter noob, they will just come up with some other name to call people.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
11/16/2014 17:44:45   
Mother1

@ Inkwolf

They already vetoed fillering out noob as a bad word. But to be honest when I player with my alts depending on the players I face some can be polite and other can be complete jerks. At the higher levels like near the cap I rarely see any conversation with players sad but true. But they again this is my experience and those vary with players.
Epic  Post #: 22
11/16/2014 20:42:41   
MrBones

I am against a mute button for PvP. After all, we are in a fight. In my experience, I have never seen a real life fight where everybody is polite.. and I have seen many since I'm from a small redneck town where there is not much else to do than pick up fights in bars.

Of course, through my years in ED, I have to admit that the average age of players have lowered quite a lot. I believe this result in more childish insults.
I don't mind being called a noob. In fact, I think it's funny. Makes me smile every time, especially that nowadays, I can count on one hand the active players older than me in this game lol. But it is all good.

Let them insult you, and smile back... and maybe win the battle ?
Epic  Post #: 23
11/16/2014 21:27:25   
elite dark slayer

Its hilarious how many times I've been called a noob in 1v1 by people I'm about to utterly pwn.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 24
11/17/2014 10:43:27   
Arikonian

There's my problem, I can't "Win the battle"

I want to become a sword mercenary, is it really as stupid as people are telling me it is?
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> The term, "noob"
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition