Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

3 Easy Steps to Drastically Improving your Win Ratio

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> 3 Easy Steps to Drastically Improving your Win Ratio
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/14/2014 2:38:01   
  Exploding Penguin

So I've been playing ED for quite a few years (since the mid-late beta days) and I've been active on the forums for quite a while as well. And I've decided to make this thread to address a lot of things people do that makes them lose, then causes them to discuss it on the forums.

Here are some "easy" steps to boosting your win ratio. I say ratio rather than rate because some people prefer to win fast and lose fast, but win ratio means a high % of fights won.

1. Make Solid Builds
This seems really general at first, but so many people only think about one aspect of their build when they make it. In most cases, this is the offense: how the build deals damage effectively. In some cases people will invest in defensive buffs like reflex boost but really not put much thought into it. This opens up TONS of holes in builds that cause people to lose. For example, someone makes a strength build. We all know that strength builds primarily deal their damage via blockable moves, which is why most strength builds have an above-average amount of dexterity as well. However, this leaves tons of problems for the build user:

-Lower HP because of higher dex investment, as well as lower generator heals because most armor points are put into resistance
-In most cases, terrible support. You will rarely go first.
-Deflected fairly easily. Deflects also got buffed recently to be more punishing
-You will still get blocked quite a bit from mega-dexterity builds

Given this, you're now vulnerable to tons of things:
-Pyro fly from an opponent on turn 1 before you can do anything can completely cripple you if swarm hits the right skill
-Going first typically leads them to getting rage first. If played right, this sticks you on the defensive for the whole match and you lose your build's intended presence of constantly applying pressure via consistently high damage outputs
-Spamming shields against your primary's damage type will mitigate huge amounts of your damage
-Getting blocked sucks and will get you killed in the end.

...and people complain about dex builds being OP. Hmm...

In this case, you can do something about your currently terrible build. First thing you can do is get a high field medic (which normally isn't carried on bulky strength builds) as well as a high mark of blood. This makes it so that even if you go first the strong field medic can turn the fight around and give you your momentum back if you were previously forced onto the defensive, then you can use mark of blood to continually pressure the opponent. Another thing you can do is get the right cores. Aim assists should be mandatory on strength builds. You don't need extra crit chance, you just need to make sure your hits land with your massive strength damage. You could also get meteor strike as an active core. When you rage against high-dex opponents it's guaranteed that they can't block your rage. These kind of things to patch up holes in your build is what will significantly boost your win rate. Please don't make full-support builds with little technology and lose because your auxiliary attacks are constantly getting deflected. That kind of build is what drops people's win ratio.

2. Play Safe

People will take risks and they will lose fights because of it. Please, unless you absolutely need the damage or whatever extra effect at the moment, NEVER use your rage on a blockable move, especially against people with ninja reflexes or high dex. I would rather opt for a rage gun than a rage frenzy even though frenzy could potentially heal 100+ HP and 200+ energy if it lands. I would only rage frenzy if I know my opponent has around a 5% or less block chance, which can be calculated using formulas found on the wiki. If you see a high-tech build, then start striking rather than using your aux, even if your aux will do around 20 more damage on average. Seriously, if people play safe then they wouldn't lose a ton of matches that they do. They rage with a blockable move, it gets blocked, and they get forced into the defensive and eventually lose because of that 1 blocked rage. Then people complain on the forums. Corresponding with making solid builds, make sure your build has a substantial amount of safe options for using rage.

3. Play to beat your opponent's build

Pay attention to how your opponent's build works and beat it by playing the game where it's weakest. So many people will fight against dex casters, using mostly blockable moves and trying to outdamage them with consistent pressure. Why would you try and fight a Dex TM at a pressure game when you rely on blockable moves when that exact scenario is what they're best at? People do this all the time, lose, then complain about Dex TM on the forums. Fix your build up, learn to play safe, then fight the battle that you have an advantage of. As a hint for you guys, casters in general cannot out-sustain and damage you at the same time. If you time your energy drains right, you will just deny them from healing or casting spells while you slowly chip their HP down. Do NOT try to rush them and pressure them through overwhelming force early; they will block you or just tank you out, then use overload + plasma rain and force the same situation onto you where you're always on the defensive. You can only apply pressure on low-HP casters if you run a decently-bulky poison build that can heal easily and reliably. Focus plasma cannon/bunker builds can do this as well if you get a crit. Aside from this, never try and just strike them to death. You will almost always lose because that kind of battle is what dex TM was made to deal with and win in. Similarly, if you're facing a low-HP tanky focus build that relies mostly on dealing chip damage and healing, force as much damage as you can early so that you can stick them on the defensive for the rest of the game, and against high-HP glass cannons use a defensive buff to mitigate most of their damage for a few turns, then proceed to out-damage them. Just make sure you know what your build is good and bad at, and what your opponent's build is good and bad at, then play according to what will let you win.

Give these a try and give me your feedback and thoughts! I hope this helped some people!
Epic  Post #: 1
12/14/2014 2:41:34   
elite dark slayer

... OK. So, examples of solid builds?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 2
12/14/2014 2:48:17   
  Exploding Penguin

In general, few builds with holes to exploit. In many cases, a build by itself will have quite a few holes, but robots have very unique attributes and are AMAZING at helping patch up a lot of these. Cores help quite a bit too, but not as much as bots. Just make sure you aren't "hard countered" by any type of opposing build. If you see an enemy who's equal level to you and has a build that you know you will probably lose to 90% of the time, you need to figure out why their build crushes yours then go fix that problem. Lots of trial-and-error in making good builds, but it pays off drastically. You lose fights, figure out why you lose them, go fix the cause of your losses, then test more. It is unavoidable that you get countered by some builds, but there are 2 things you can do about this:

-Make it so that even if you get countered, you can still win fairly consistently by outplaying them. CH is a great outplay-based class, but monotonous, predictable cyclic classes like TLM that are forced into a cycle of battery backup + field medic + frenzy aren't.
-Make your harder counters the builds that are the opposite of FotM, meaning nobody plays your counters because they don't fit into the current meta at all.

One example is if your build needs momentum early to pressure opponents and force them onto the defensive, a strong field medic can be amazingly helpful. It can instantly heal you by a ton, reversing the momentum and giving you a second chance if you messed up your first. Other builds that don't need momentum or cyclic heal-looping will typically benefit more from other skills like energy drains to stop the opponent's momentum.

< Message edited by Exploding Penguin -- 12/14/2014 2:50:10 >
Epic  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> 3 Easy Steps to Drastically Improving your Win Ratio
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition