Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Balance Vs. Fun

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Balance Vs. Fun
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/23/2015 12:53:00   
The berserker killer

Quick question for everyone: We all know the road to "balance" is difficult, and could take years at this rate. So, rather than constant complaining about balance and begging devs to spend all their time on balance, do you think it's be more beneficial to the game if they directed their time and attention else where while 2-4 devs and several testers devote their time to balance? We would probably see more features and releases.

After all, for the sake of the game in its present state shouldn't "Fun" trump "Balance"? We saw the answer to that question with gifting. It would've been fun if gifting returned in valentines day in the form of Candy Grahams or Candy Canes. Or It could have returned on Easter in the form of Easter Egg Hunting. Thats fun. And at the time of gifting...balance was barely even thought of because we had fun. Sure, you can make the excuse that it wasn't "fun", that people were just benefitting from it but you can ask anyone who gifted that this was actually fun. I loved hosting events personally.

I'll allow this discussion for now. Please keep personal squabbling out of it. ~Battle Elf

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 3/23/2015 15:09:38 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 1
3/23/2015 14:13:30   
Lord Machaar

Balance = Fun.
No balance = No fun.
Balance = Variety.
No balance = Everyone using the same build, which we already see now with strenght builds.

Balance = The game.
Balance should have a special developper for it, balance updates should take place each week. Period.

Cleaned ~Battle Elf

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 3/23/2015 15:08:06 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 2
3/23/2015 14:44:26   
The berserker killer

Thanks for your honest answer.

Edit: She*

Cleaned ~Battle Elf

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 3/23/2015 15:09:14 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 3
3/23/2015 14:49:23   
Lord Machaar

Fun facts:
- Balance has a dedicated team to care for it: Testers.
- Balance Tracker: A dedicated tool to care for balance.
- Devs only decide = Conclusion No wasted time.

Cleaned ~Battle Elf

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 3/23/2015 15:08:35 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 4
3/23/2015 15:43:23   
Ranloth
Banned

If fun requires you to PvP, and PvP is imbalanced, then you need balance in order to have fun. Likewise applies for content like Missions - if they require you to battle, but your class underperforms (or can't beat a Boss - BHs couldn't beat Saeva up until Static Grenade was buffed), then you need balance in order to have fun.

We can't focus solely on one. Content and balance is required. Even if it's minor, it's still necessary. Lack of either will eventually drive some players away, and their argument will be "no content" or "no balance".

In other words, balance = fun. Prime example is AQ(Classic) which has its own Sweep, which is taking 6-7 years already (due to weekly releases), but having standards for literally everything in game, has allowed the variety to increase drastically and let new effects to be implemented - which are still balanced, on paper and in practice.
AQ Epic  Post #: 5
3/23/2015 19:23:20   
  Exploding Penguin

Fun over everything else. If it is fun for the majority no matter what the cause it's the right thing to do.

This fun could be a result of balance. It could be a result of other things. It honestly doesn't matter the source as long as a majority of the players thinks its fun. Devs should be working towards making the game fun before focusing on balance, unless they consider balance to be fun. But honestly, I don't think that's currently the case because I rarely hear people whine when they lose about imbalanced situations and broken skills/classes.

We play games to relax, have fun, etc... Not to play a balanced game that is boring. I'm not saying balanced is boring, I'm just saying focus should be on fun over balance first.

Also, as a side note, unbalanced is always unfair, but if something is unfair it isn't necessarily always because of balanced. The disease that has plagued ED known as legendary ranks is not unbalanced and almost nothing to do with balance, it just screwed up matchmaking and other things so bad that it's impossible to get into almost completely fair battles these days.
Epic  Post #: 6
3/23/2015 20:35:01   
RageSoul

Only thing to remember everyone : Balance is objective while Fun is subjective so try to consider both sides when it comes to mechanical design . Thank you for viewing :)
AQW Epic  Post #: 7
3/24/2015 11:39:18   
Xendran

http://quietube7.com/v.php/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

Anyone serious about giving serious feedback should consider watching every single Extra Credits video.
Part of the mastery of balancing a game is knowing what parts need to be balanced in what way, and how imbalances can be put to good use.
There is a good reason EpicDuel cannot achieve balance OR perfect imbalance, and it's because they do not have anyone on their staff who is trained in that field, and they're probably not in a position to bring in a new staff member that is going to tell them that they have to remake the battle system from the ground up.

The developers actively removing counterplay and uniqueness from classes is the reason that the game felt way more fun back in Beta when we had those things, even though the game was still very imbalanced numerically.
This is why players want to go back to beta, even if it means giving up every single feature in the game that has been implemented since then. The features don't mean anything if the game they are supporting isn't one that you want to go back to.

Lord Machaar, i specifically suggest that you watch these Extra Credits videos. You're coming from a place where you want to genuinely help the game and its state of balance, but there is much more to it than what it seems you've currently learned.
I think you care enough about game mechanics that you would greatly benefit from the things taught in Extra Credits, and it will broaden your ideas about how balance works.

I'm not saying you're wrong in what you've said, just that there is more to it and it is not quite as straightforward as it seems at first.

An important note about cyclical balance referenced in the Extra Credits video: This is only a good thing if it does NOT require intervention for it to happen. EpicDuel's cyclical balance is an interventionist one that is caused by developer changes, not a natural one that is caused by players counterplaying each other.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 3/24/2015 11:51:27 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 8
3/24/2015 18:05:40   
Lord Machaar

@Exploding Penguin:

quote:

Also, as a side note, unbalanced is always unfair, but if something is unfair it isn't necessarily always because of balanced. The disease that has plagued ED known as legendary ranks is not unbalanced and almost nothing to do with balance, it just screwed up matchmaking and other things so bad that it's impossible to get into almost completely fair battles these days.

To further expand this idea in my way, the game was having balance troubles even before this ranking system was introduced.
The testers back then were testing classes, which means when there is something wrong, it's surely in the class itself, whether it's an OP skill or combination of OP skills.
When we look now, balance problems are more complex, an X build might work greatly in ranks ranging from 30 to 60 but will never work from 1 to 30 (Stenght builds = More ranks, more points invested in dexterity, more chance to block the oppoenent.). If this build is OP at a certain range it doesn't mean it is OP in all ranges, this results in a very serious problem, which is, that X class might be balanced at ranks ranging from 30 to 60 by a patchnote, but not necessarily from ranks ranging from 1 to 30 (which was already balanced in). This is one. Second thing is, player base went down dramatically, meaning, less and less players, meaning that matches are nowhere near fair, especially at power hours, matchmaking itself is not broken, it's due to the low player base, the system has to match a player searching for a pvp in a decent time, and since it is mainly a pvp game, waiting for too long is not accepted, which means fast battles rather than fair ones.

@Xendran

I watched this video before and I don't remember when but I remember it was related to your youtube channel.

Anyways, the examples shown in the video are awesome, starting with a chess game, the perfect game in the world in terms of balance, passing by star craft and league of legends, but they are nowhere near close to ED for reasons I will explain later on. ED is now between reaching the perfect state of balance and a perfect state of good imbalance.

quote:

An important note about cyclical balance referenced in the Extra Credits video: This is only a good thing if it does NOT require intervention for it to happen. EpicDuel's cyclical balance is an interventionist one that is caused by developer changes, not a natural one that is caused by players counterplaying each other.

Frankly, cyclical balance is impossible for ED at the current state and I will explain why devs have to interefere to fix balance problems.
When we talk about league of legends for example, and as shown in the end of the video, one of the core elements to create a balanced or in a more correct way perfectly imbalanced game, players must have options, many options, LoL certainly has a lot of options to give for players, when weapon "A" is OP for sometime and a lot of players use it, other intelligent players tend to look for ways to encounter it, leading them to search for "B" weapon that counters that weapon "A", then a weapon C appears and so on. Luckily players have a huge number of options, and you need hours and hours to figure out the perfect match.
When we try to approach with this manner how ED's cyclical balance works, at the moment, classes are the core element here, weapons are additives, we talk about cores now, till here, I will say that clyclical balance might be possible, because everything here is "counterable", but still there aren't much options for players to use. Adding ranks which is another thing ED has that sadly affects badly the balance, ranks give advantage, this advantage is not acknowledged by the devs, having ranks doesn't mean you need necessarily skills to win a battle, because ranks sadly aren't "uncounterable". In the past it was the case for promo packs, which means in beta/gamma, when a player having a promo pack weapons faces a non-var player the result was clearly, which means you really didn't need to have skills to win a battle in ED back then, as skills had a small percent affecting the game, this is not the case anymore with the deletion of enhancements, but sadly it was shortly replaced with ranks. To sum up:

Before Omega: You don't need to have skills to win a battle if you have promo pack weapons. A fact each old player knows.
After Omega: You don't need to have skills to win a battle if you 60 ranks in your pocket.

To give an example showing what really I'm talking about, and how cyclical balance will never work in ED without the interfering of devs in it, it's because cyclical balanced as mentioned in the video is consisted of:
a- intelligence of players. Which requires a lot players, the bigger the number, the more chance you find an intelligent player.
b- Options for those players to try and match, sadly not the case for ED.
c- deletion of clear advantages given for certain players (problem we don't see in LoL as skills of X player affect the result more, playing and playing gives the player better skills, comicalbiker plays the game for years now, did he learn skills? sure he did, does it give him any advantage in the game? hell no.

Both of these 3 parametres are violated in ED, for:

a- low player base, lower chance to have intelligent players to look for ways to encounter OP trending classes. Most vets quitted.
b- small amount of options.
a typical player in ED now has:
- This aux: Dread Desolator E or P. http://epicduelwiki.com/w/Dread_Desolator_E
- This sidearm: Azrael's Anguish E or P. http://epicduelwiki.com/w/Azrael%27s_Anguish_E
- This armor: Any armor (Has free passive and active core spots) Active cores : Chairman's Fury or Generator. Passive cores: The new cores in the endless shop.
- This primary: Frozen fury destroyer or Celtic cleaver.
c- ranks, a clear advtange that affects the game directly, which has nothing to encounter it with.

When I hear players saying, well, if X class is OP, no need to nerf it because Players have to find a way to encounter it. What can I say is, in order to counter X thing and to start a cyclical balance without any interferes of DEVs, we need:
- Options; weapons and mainly now cores, since weapons themselves mean nothing now, a coreless weapon is useless. Cores need a lot of time to be made = Resuls: Dead end, Devs have time to create cores for promo packs only.
- Deletion of any clear advantage that make players feel it is useless to look for a solution since X player has an advantage = Ranks.

This leads me to my own conclusion, sure having a balance game like "Starcraft" means that players will eventually find fixed strategic ways to win, and only top players can find efficient strategies to win the game, which is one of the cons of perfectly balanced state, but let me ask you think question, in order to avoid this and search for what so called perfect imbalance and cyclical balance, is it possible for ED? It is not sadly, reaching this state requires a lot and a lot of things, which frankly ED team don't have the abilities to achieve, so the achieveable thing now is a perfect balanced game. Once players find fixed strategies to win battle, do a patchnote, a player even suggested, change skill trees, which they have done, keeping players always in search for that strategy.

On a side note I will try to watch more videos, for myself and not for the game itself, because frankly any support is not appreciated here concerning balance. Devs think they are the almighty and elite leaders of the game, and them only know what's and what's not good for the game, and I'm speciafically talking about balance which is a case sensitive thing and not changing the color of OZ's boot. There are two types of suggestions, saying that devs implemented players' suggestions doesn't necessarily mean they implemented the right ones or most important ones.

< Message edited by Lord Machaar -- 3/24/2015 18:24:40 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 9
3/29/2015 5:24:12   
Scyze

How I feel:

The game was a lot more fun before Omega because the balance was a bit broken. Varium users had an advantage over normal players and the constant thrashing made you enjoy the game more. When you have an advantage over everyone, or just simply ahead (extra stats and such), the game just becomes more fun - you deal more damage and take less damage. You get used to constantly winning. Balancing the game is always going to be hard because you can't make everyone happy. If you nerf my build, I'm not going to be happy but someone out there is going to be happy.

Constantly grinding ED will result in no improvement. All you need to get used to ED is 500 games and you know your stuff, if you read guides and learn each Class, it's fewer games. The only benefit I see of grinding in ED is to get used to the balance changes. However, once you know how to deal with the OP builds, you don't really have anything else to gain. You can find different ways to beat someone but I feel like all AE games don't give you much of a challenge because it's for younger people. When you play other games like LoL, sure you can learn the Champion (character) in a few games, if you've been playing for a long time, but dealing with more than one thing happening at the same time makes it more challenging. Once you get used to it, it's a lot more fun.

When a game is a bit broken, it becomes more fun. Let's take URF (Ultra Rapid Fire) from League of Legends. It was released a year ago and it's the most broken thing I can remember. Yet, even though people were getting dumpstered, there were games where they were better than their opponents. The positive feedback made Riot extend its duration.
quote:

Originally planned as an April Fool’s Day joke intended only to last one day, we were blown away by the response Ultra Rapid Fire received. Based on the response from players around the world in multiple regions and languages, we extended the length of the mode (twice). Who doesn’t like making more plays?
People kept bugging Riot since it's removal to bring it back because it was fun.

The Missions... aren't very good at making the game fun. Why? All you're doing is going on a hunt or beating others. Accepting those Missions won't make any difference to your gameplay - if anything, they just make you feel like you've got to finish the Mission (determination).

I didn't like comparing ED to other games, but then again, these are my thoughts now...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
3/29/2015 7:41:48   
Lord Machaar

quote:

The game was a lot more fun before Omega because the balance was a bit broken. Varium users had an advantage over normal players and the constant thrashing made you enjoy the game more. When you have an advantage over everyone, or just simply ahead (extra stats and such), the game just becomes more fun - you deal more damage and take less damage. You get used to constantly winning. Balancing the game is always going to be hard because you can't make everyone happy. If you nerf my build, I'm not going to be happy but someone out there is going to be happy.

We should agree upon something here, it was almost impossible back in Beta/Gamma/Delta for a non-var player to defeat a var player, this is a fact any pre-omega player knows about.
You can even see that in our posts here, the rate of comparing non-var and var players is now slimmer than ever, to the point where we don't talk about it, but we talk about real balance. Money balance is a whole different thing, the seek of real balance is what we see now, so when you tell me the game gets fun for players dealing more damage, and receiving less damage, sadly, it wasn't the case for all players before omega, and we know that. Balancing the game now is totally different. We don't talk about non-var and var players, but we talk about real balance, we talk about classes themselves, about skills, about things that everyone can afford, and not a var weapon that is OP (example, when azrael's anguish sidearm first came out, and before it was available for all players).
Ofcourse each pre-omega player will see this in a different way depending on the group of players he belonged to in those phases (Beta, gamma & delta).

quote:

Constantly grinding ED will result in no improvement. All you need to get used to ED is 500 games and you know your stuff, if you read guides and learn each Class, it's fewer games. The only benefit I see of grinding in ED is to get used to the balance changes. However, once you know how to deal with the OP builds, you don't really have anything else to gain. You can find different ways to beat someone but I feel like all AE games don't give you much of a challenge because it's for younger people. When you play other games like LoL, sure you can learn the Champion (character) in a few games, if you've been playing for a long time, but dealing with more than one thing happening at the same time makes it more challenging. Once you get used to it, it's a lot more fun.

Sadly if you read my last post, you can see that beside AE games are targeting younger audiences which make them hell of boring at some stages, but also LoL is just a massive game, nothing close to ED, when you mentioned URF, and yes I played LoL and it was hell of fun, we should agree upon something, LoL provides its players, a huge number of possibilities, champions, tactics, and frankly this is not the case in ED, once again, I will say it, these are the best weapons in ED now with no replacement,
- This aux: Dread Desolator E or P. http://epicduelwiki.com/w/Dread_Desolator_E
- This sidearm: Azrael's Anguish E or P. http://epicduelwiki.com/w/Azrael%27s_Anguish_E
- This armor: Any armor (Has free passive and active core spots) Active cores : Chairman's Fury or Generator. Passive cores: The new cores in the endless shop.
- This primary: Frozen fury destroyer or Celtic cleaver.

because frankly devs chose a hard way, which is "Cores", they knew that cores are hard to make, yet they decided to go in that way, this resulted in a few possibilities to no other possibilities for players.
It's close to 0% to find a player in LoL using 100% the same gear as another player uses, it's not the case in ED, e.g, Dread Desolator aux for tank & support players and azrael's aux for strenght players.
Therefore I don't think it's wise to compare both games, even I know these are only your thoughts, although I agree with you in this point:
quote:

The Missions... aren't very good at making the game fun. Why? All you're doing is going on a hunt or beating others. Accepting those Missions won't make any difference to your gameplay - if anything, they just make you feel like you've got to finish the Mission (determination).

I've been waiting for ages for a player to say this, missions in other games mean you are going to do something else than typical things, what basically missions in ED are based on, typical things plus a reward, do 250 PVP wins, hell I'm going to do them anyways, atleast they come up with the rare rewards, atleast they are worth to do now.

< Message edited by Lord Machaar -- 3/29/2015 7:48:26 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 11
4/6/2015 12:26:31   
Oswald Cobblepot

EpicDuel should have a specialized team that would work for balancing the game only.. (They should play a lot)
I don't know if epicduel already have it so excuse me.
AQW Epic  Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Balance Vs. Fun
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition