Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Is balance finally getting closer?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> Is balance finally getting closer?
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/9/2015 20:55:29   
noremako

Judging from the duels I've had with all my alts, I'm starting to feel like balance is getting to a good point. The only class that seems to be unable to stand on its two feet is Cyber Hunter, who still suffers from a lack of staying power.

However, some recent, large scale balance changes have occurred that I must applaud EpicDuel's team for. Excellent nerf to Strength builds. Only problem I see is that the already formidable Dex mages at low levels have now received an incredible buff that may cause other classes at low levels to quit.

Is balance becoming less of an issue? Blood Mages no longer stand out as they used to, neither does Tactical Mercenary, really. Tech Mages, there are multiple viable builds, as there are for Mercs, although Bounty Hunter is decent but slightly less strategic and effective. Cyber Hunters don't seem to exist anymore.

But overall, I feel like the balance aspect of the game has progressed alot this year. Well done.
Post #: 1
5/9/2015 21:30:17   
Mother1

Not really cause this is nothing new. When balance changes are made the flavor builds are almost always shuffled due to said changes. Once the dominate builds are found once again those builds will once again dominate the game.
Epic  Post #: 2
5/9/2015 22:46:05   
Lord Machaar

3-4 months ago, I have said that revolving about the problem won't fix it. Fixing the 20 billions things around ranks won't fix the problem, since the common problem here is legendary system, it is the one that should be fixed.

I like the idea of eLvls as it works for all levels/ranks and keep the batlle exciting no matter what your opponents' level is.
Reaching a perfect balance state is impossible. But atleast I thank the testers for trying with the small number of testers.

I haven't played the game yet, so I can't give detailed information about the underdog mode, but vast majority of players seem to be happy.
As for caster TMs being OP, I can't confirm nor deny, but if it is really the case, they can make the sidearm damage increase with focus. The higher the focus, the higher the sidearm damage, just like with bots. This way you can prevent massive dex abusing with no consequences.

In matter fact, I think all weapons damage should be linked to focus, not bot damage only. But ofcourse in much reduced way to not promote for 5 focus builds.

< Message edited by Lord Machaar -- 5/9/2015 22:51:02 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 3
5/9/2015 22:48:16   
.Lord Ginger.

High ranks get people who always beat them. Rank 38 is a pretty perfect rank now.
AQW Epic  Post #: 4
5/10/2015 15:48:15   
Stonehawk

quote:

Is balance becoming less of an issue?

No, exactly the opposite. Lord Ginger is right, stats count a lot more than legendary ranks. Giving them extra stats is a really high advantage against high ranks.

quote:

Tech Mages, there are multiple viable builds, as there are for Mercs

Tech mages are all abusing dex, making it impossible and inviable for Mercs!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
5/10/2015 16:17:26   
The berserker killer

I love how "balance" is such an objective view. Not criticizing anyone or anything, but it seems like when those who used to lose alot start winning the majority of their battles then balance is fixed. When they lose, balance is broken. I'm not saying that the majority of them are wrong, I mean its like 60% of the database probably complaining about balance. But what i am saying is that the same 60% are most likely inexperienced players. Bold statement? Probably. But I just wanted to throw that out there.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 6
5/10/2015 16:25:07   
Ranloth
Banned

^ That's the beauty of listening to player balance suggestions, and what should and should not be done - and we need to look at it objectively, so it doesn't overpower one class and underpower another (so no buffing the class you play with so you can win more, and messing it up for everyone else).
When it comes to balance, most of the time it will look like we don't care but some ideas are just ridiculous and won't make it in-game. At the same time, some suggestions do go through directly or are implemented in another form. Poison change few months ago, buffing certain cores / skills, and so on - vast majority are from Forums and Twitter, but sometimes have to be adjusted so they are balanced; prime example is Yeti Fury - players wanted it unblockable and we thought so too, but it had to be at a cost; unblockable was given, at the cost of 10% damage loss but EP cost was also reduced - also known as a nerf-buff.
AQ Epic  Post #: 7
5/10/2015 16:46:19   
Stonehawk

@The Berserker killer
I always talk about all classes. I don't want any class to be useless, and this update made CHs and Mercs real underdogs.

quote:

prime example is Yeti Fury - players wanted it unblockable and we thought so too, but it had to be at a cost; unblockable was given, at the cost of 10% damage loss but EP cost was also reduced - also known as a nerf-buff.

@Ranloth
It was a double-nerf with a buff, don't forget Strength itself was already nerfed, so damage was already lower.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
5/10/2015 17:17:09   
Ranloth
Banned

The core itself got one nerf and two buffs (nerf-buff). Indirect buffs (or nerfs) are not accounted for (in this case) because they aren't directly linked with the core - even more so when everything improving with Strength, has been nerfed - hence indirect.

Also, I fail to see how CHs were affected negatively. Apart from Static Charge being blockable, its EP return is unblockable and Mercs only suffer because Static Smash is blockable but... it's hardly different to what it was before. In fact, blockable skills received an indirect buff because: 1) caps remain the same for blocks and cores cannot exceed them anymore, and 2) the scaling for blocking (and deflections alike) has been slowed down by almost a double of what it used to be - so to achieve max block chance, you need even more Dex now.. The only difference is now, vs. high Dex build, you won't be able to block but this has little impact on Static Smash.
For example, before the change if you faced Dex TM (and you're a Merc with Static Smash), they'd get their max block chance a lot faster, but at the same time you'd also have minimum chance to block - 2% - which was also considered luck / RNG. Now that it's been removed, and set to 0%, you still have the same chance to hit vs. Dex TM as you did before the change, but the Dex advantage needs to be twice as big as it was prior to the update, to achieve max block rate (or render you unable to block). Cores' change to not exceed the cap has also had an impact on it + they were buffed by a little too.

Unless, of course, this is about Gun damage - which may be a little bit different, but if you're running a defensive build, your Gun should be better off now than it was on Strength, because your Dex is higher than your Str - and that's despite Dex's progression for Guns being slower than Str + Primary.

< Message edited by Ranloth -- 5/10/2015 17:18:50 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 9
5/10/2015 17:27:28   
Stonehawk

@Ranloth
I can't see two buffs. And since strength was badly nerfed, it wasn't needed to nerf those cores even more just because it became unblockable. If you compare to Hawk Guardian, both are finisher skills and Yeti fury has higher costs than Hawk Guardian and lower damage. The lifesteal doesn't compensate in any situation since damage is so low (I tried really high strength to test and lifesteal wasn't that good, while hawk guardian was able to finish the opponent). If damage increase is so low, maybe it could increase lifesteal to 50% for that little higher EP cost.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
5/12/2015 5:13:58   
VanitySixx

Replying to the original post:

I believe the game is more balanced than it has ever been. Every class has something going for them. Mercenaries are kind of on the short end of the stick, but I've seen some pretty good mercenary builds. The game is diverse now. If anymore significant buffs or nerfs happen, I feel balance will shift and there will be an alleged "OP" class again.
AQW Epic  Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> Is balance finally getting closer?
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition