Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Varen's Dragonfable Soundtrack - Reimagined

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> DragonFable Art Gallery >> RE: Varen's Dragonfable Soundtrack - Reimagined
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/6/2015 13:00:17   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Water Breathing Potions

Never before have I used such weird time signatures as I have in this piece. XD Either way, this is the next piece in the Wind Orb Saga which introduces Rhubarb's Theme and attempts to show that the quest really takes the mick out of the fact that the Hero is meant to be all righteous and thus is terrible at sneaking and stealing. They've clearly invested far too many stat points in strength and wisdom and not enough in dexterity. :p Anyways, be careful of the sudden explosion and I hope you enjoy!
DF  Post #: 76
10/6/2015 23:52:06   
flashbang

Ah... was kinda hoping for ninja... it's cool though. You are the man, after all.
Ah, an accordion. Great use of it mate, I can totally see it being used in Ospery Cove.
I remember this quest. 'Twas fun.
Once again great music.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 77
10/7/2015 15:48:14   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

The plan was to do ninja, but then I read on and realised it's not as canon as pirate. I decided that I'd just do both but when it came to writing it, my attempts at all things Japanese-sounding ended with failure on my part. Perhaps if I grow more confident in writing music from the Far East I'll come back to it. I tried listening to a load of music from the Far East (CTHD was my primary source) but I just couldn't get anything to work. Though I am glad you enjoyed the pirate music regardless. ^^
DF  Post #: 78
10/11/2015 6:26:10   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

And the Ruins of Kordana is out! Definitely a more fun one to write; coming up with a good drumbeat was very fun. I decided to use a modern drumkit ro reflect the futuristic nature of the quest. I hope you all enjoy! :)

Ruins of Kordana
DF  Post #: 79
10/11/2015 14:25:46   
Monty34

Here's a link to the finished Popsprocket Theme:

Popsprocket Theme

This is a link to the new Popsprocket Theme, with the improvement Varen mentioned:

Popsprocket Theme: Version 2

< Message edited by Monty34 -- 10/27/2015 12:00:49 >
DF  Post #: 80
10/11/2015 14:58:14   
Monty34

By the way Varen, your last series of compositions have been pretty stunning! It's actually quite difficult to think of a critique. I would say though, that again you could do something more interesting with the drums in Boat to Sho Nuff rather than semiquavers, to give it a bit more impact. Also, in the second part of Water Breathing Potions it might sound more engaging if you added some more movement in the violins- some more different notes, more semiquavers etc.
Feel free to critique my stuff if you feel like it :)
DF  Post #: 81
10/14/2015 14:41:01   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Heya Monty! I like your piece as well! Perhaps start up your own Gallery so that you have a place to have all your own arrangements/creations as well? It would also mean critique would be more on topic. ;)

As for critique for this piece; when the piece is modulating towards the repeat (about 59 seconds) it sounds rather unusual. I think the chord progression is a little strange and the cadence doesn't quite feel right. However you did say that it was not meant to be repeated so I imagine that the piece would modulate to a different key at that point rather than stay in its current key. It certainly 'feels' like it wants to move key at that point. I do like the general form of the piece though; the strings and chord progression sort of reminded me of "Bittersweet symphony" for whatever reason. XD The bass is nice and solid, and fits very well with the technological feel of Popsprocket. The drumkit is nice as well. Keep up the good work! :)
DF  Post #: 82
10/15/2015 5:31:22   
ChronoEye

Varen, you should try making remakes/remixes of the Book 3 Amityvale Musics - the action-filled ones. I'd LOVE to hear them out!
Post #: 83
10/15/2015 16:32:01   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

One word ChronoEye. One word.

"Mogloween".

;)
DF  Post #: 84
10/17/2015 11:50:58   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

The Sneenja Dojo

Latest piece is out! I had to try something with an asian feel to it, otherwise I wouldn't be able to replicate the feeling of the dojo. Hopefully it's alright and nice to listen to. ^^ Upon relistening I realised it followed a pretty similar structure to "EMPTY!" so that's a bit annoying that I accidentaly copied myself, but I still feel it's its own piece despite the structure issue. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy! ^^
DF  Post #: 85
10/17/2015 11:59:11   
ChronoEye

Varen, anyway I would love to see them being remade especially the ones from Gathering the Shadows - Quests, Serenity Before The Storm - War and Book 3 Amityvale.. Pls surprise us ;) xD
Post #: 86
10/20/2015 17:27:45   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Mogloween 2015!

Turns out I'm not here for the entirety of next week so I though I might as well share early. ^^ Hope you guys enjoy this mix that I made, as inspired by the awesome Miran Tideturner! Happy Mogloween! :)

< Message edited by Varen6398 -- 10/20/2015 17:49:46 >
DF  Post #: 87
10/22/2015 14:53:25   
Monty34

The chord progression does sound like it wants to modulate. It's a neopolitan 6th followed by the tonic, subdominant and dominant of the new key, and then the tonic of the original key a tone up. Actually this one is supposed to loop, so perhaps if I modulate down a tone for the repeat and then change the repeated chord progression so that it modulates up a major third back to the original key?
DF  Post #: 88
10/22/2015 16:25:58   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Sounds like you're more well informed than me. I just write all my music by 'what sounds good to me' rather than technical things. I'll be honest and say that I know very little over the 'rules' of modulating and it was more me expressing my individual thoughts rather than an actual technical suggestion. :)

If you think it'll be better by doing that, by all means go ahead. I feel that you know best on this matter. ^^
DF  Post #: 89
10/24/2015 16:12:14   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Captain's Orders

The last piece that I decided to do before my week long hiatus while I'm away from home. ^^ I'm quite happy with how it turned out; I decided to go with the idea of sounding epic and just write what came up while I playing on the piano. I hope you enjoy! :)
DF  Post #: 90
10/24/2015 16:25:33   
Subon

*impatiently waiting for "An unlikely duo"*

And ohh, I see. It seems like you're taking requests! That's quite amazing actually, really great.

If you have the time I would love to hear a theme made for at least one of my characters. I would love see how other people interpret them.

So, if you want to, I'd be happy if you did. I dont exactly want to restrict you or anything, so if you're gonna do it you can pick any character you like from my gallery.

And if you don't want to, that's ok, I love your work anyways.

Post #: 91
10/28/2015 11:35:05   
Monty34

Are you ok with me scoring music for the Energy Orb quests? I ask because you seem to be going through the Orb quests in chronological order :-)
By the way, I've noticed you use a technique where you ascend a scale but hold each note on through the others. Have you considered using suspensions (a technique involving an ascending or descending chord progression, where the middle note of each chord changes a beat after the other two notes)? The effect is quite similar to the technique you're using, but it has more of a sense of movement.
DF  Post #: 92
10/31/2015 9:08:32   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

(sorry for the late reply, been away for the week)

Yes, I have absolutely no issue with you doing any music making. In fact, I heavily encourage it. ^^ I may also end up doing the Energy Orb, just because we have different styles and so it would be interesting to see how we do the different pieces for the different quests. Having listened to your latest piece, it definitely sounds like you've nailed the feeling of the Energy Orb saga already. :)

As for the ascending chord thing, I think you are definitely right. I've used that technique so many times (I just love the sound of it XD) that perhaps some variation on the timing of the different notes would make for a better feeling. I know that in one of my pieces in the Dragon Egg saga I did use some different timing (just relistening to them, I think it was Falconreach at about 2:06 where the strings are all going at random times behind the Gamelan) and there's definitely a better sense of movement there than in some of my later pieces where I use a similar technique of holding notes of a chord.
DF  Post #: 93
11/4/2015 11:43:17   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Red Betty's Spell

The latest piece is out, and I believe it'll be the Penultimate piece of the Wind Orb saga! While this saga has been shorter than the last, I put it down to the fact that it is in fact 2 storylines and I have only done the pirate side of it. Perhaps later I'll return to it, but I would prefer some more practise writing oriental music before I make a jab at it. Just writing the music for the Sneenja Dojo took a lot more effort that it usually does to write music and I feel I wouldn't do the saga justice.

Anyways, I hope you'll all enjoy and I'm looking forward to writing the next piece (I get to use the Dragon theme again! Yeyyayay :) ).
DF  Post #: 94
11/7/2015 6:50:12   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

The Braken

And that's the final piece of the Wind Orb saga! I hope you enjoyed it. It was definitely a learning experience compared to the Dragon Egg saga; I experimented with cross rhythms (the 34 time of the cellos compared to the 44 time of the piece itself in The Braken and Red Betty's Spell) as well as new styles (The Sneenja Dojo). I hope you'll all enjoy!

The piece itself is based around a scene which I created; rather than Rhubarb dispatching the Hero to defeat the Braken, The Hero is instead on a boat and leaving Sho Nuff when the Braken attacks. The Hero then has to fend off for a short while, before his/her dragon shows up to defeat the monster. The piece ends with help being sent from Sho Nuff for the damaged boat as the Hero and his/her dragon flies to The Sandsea upon the advice of Lady Celestia. I hope you don't mind my change of scene, I just felt it made the sudden appearance of The Hero's dragon makes more sense. :)
DF  Post #: 95
11/7/2015 9:43:48   
Forest Kitten

I'm really loving all of this music that you're creating, I can't wait to see what else you make for other parts of the story. :)
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 96
11/8/2015 8:12:21   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Thanks very much. ^^ I'll keep trying to write music that people will enjoy. Speaking of music...

The Sandsea (Light Orb intro)

A new piece, and it's the beginning of a period of Arabic-style music! The Light Orb was one of the sagas I was looking forward to writing the most, because I picked up on quite a few cultural quirks in my visit to Morocco that will definitely help me write music for The Sandsea. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy. ^^

Also, I will make a note here about the structure of the soundtrack reimagined - each saga will have a short intro that is not necessarily linked to a single quest, but is a more general intro. After that, I will try and make a number of pieces linked to the quests, depending on what's going on in the quests. Anyways, repeating what I said earlier, I hope you all enjoy!
DF  Post #: 97
11/11/2015 13:42:32   
Varen6398
Friendly!, Constructive!
Creative!

Meeting Zhoom

The newest piece is out! And it's Meeting Zhoom! According to the DF Encyclopedia it has a "Fabulous cutscene". Having rewatched a few times to get the music in my head, I can attest to that. ^^ It was very fun writing this one, purely because I'm increasingly allowed to play with more foreign instruments. Unfortunately I couldn't find a foreign instrument from Arabia that sounded like the one in the quest, so I decided to use a Sitar as it provided a similar sound. Either ways, I hope you enjoy! ^^
DF  Post #: 98
11/15/2015 15:52:53   
Forest Kitten

Would you happen to do a soundtrack for the Bacon Orb saga?
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 99
11/17/2015 10:30:42   
Monty34

I can tell you're really getting the hang of using the drums effectively! And some of the techniques you were using to use and develop some of the themes you already had sounded very professional. In The Braken, I would suggest making the transition to the dissonant section smoother, maybe put a rit in for effect and, instead of just using minor seconds, climbing a diminished seventh chord starting from the bass and adding the violins after a bit like you do sometimes with the chromatic scale. Also, in the section at the end of the piece it sounds generally peaceful except occasional minor seconds. You might consider instead using occasional minor intervals- I noticed you did do one near the very end. One I like is, e.g. in the key of C major, G# and F together, then resolving to a C major chord.
DF  Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> DragonFable Art Gallery >> RE: Varen's Dragonfable Soundtrack - Reimagined
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition