Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =Elemental Championships 2015= OOC - Competitors Assemble

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =Elemental Championships 2015= OOC - Competitors Assemble
Page 3 of 9«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/4/2015 0:59:58   
salene

Huzzah! Thanks Ronin, this should be a fun year! And how could we forget you fuzzy F.E.R.R.E.T of death? This should be great, considering how many people have applied already!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 51
8/4/2015 1:29:37   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

I'll accept the terms of a 15 second delay in the cooling process. That's totally fine by me. Interesting ooc tidbit. I got the name itself from an actual old west name generator. I've always been a huge fan of Billy the Kid and people like Wyatt Earp and Jessie James and Sheriff Pat Garrett. And I started to think, well let's see I tried this, I tried that, I've been trying a jason voorhee's homage with zero success as of late. So I said to myself, Well If I'm going to come up with something from scratch again, Where should I go next?

So I figured I'd try my hand at the whole Gunslinger route. I've seen (and heard) enough westerns (And been to the set of one of John Wayne's Ghost Town Ranch's back in Texas). So sure. I'll be happy to add the 15 second delay in the freezing component.

I'll also assume you want that applied as well for the Shotgun. I say "assume" because your statement says and I politely and respectfully quote "and the bullets being fully frozen." Since a shotgun shell isn't per-say considered a bullet (specifically because the design of a shell and a bullet are greatly different. Considering the casings of a shotgun shell are much more compact and don't look anything like the round-tipped bullets. The other major difference being a shotgun has a barrel, where a six-shooter has a "chamber". In any case. I'll happily add the 15 second reload to apply to the shotgun as well.

@Starstruck. And now you know precisely why I said what I said in IRC the other night. :)
AQW Epic  Post #: 52
8/4/2015 10:11:46   
Legendium

I would participate, but I have too many obligations as it is.

I had a great idea for a weird and wacky pair of warriors for earth though. Well, "pair." It's more like two people who hated each other getting fused together into a two headed monstrosity.
Ah well. Maybe next year.
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 53
8/4/2015 13:28:32   
Tdub

Assemble, indeed.

Name: Zane
Race: Human
Element: Darkness

Appearance: Zane stands at approximately five feet and six inches tall when standing up straight, but often looks smaller, as he crouches slightly in an offensive or defensive situation. His jet-black hair is cut short, allowing his small brown eyes unhindered sight. No unusual facial features could distinguish him from a crowd, aside from the fact that he obviously cares about his appearance. Zane is quite proud of the fact that his clean-shaven face with straight white teeth can be considered thoroughly boring. He is well-built, as a gymnast might be, with especially strong arm and leg muscles. He is no stranger to physical activity, and it shows, though compared to other, more monstrous competitors, his physique is in no way astonishing.

His combat clothing, on the other hand, is not quite so commonplace. Black shoes, silent on the ground, are useful for both stealth and running, and his black pants do not impede movement. Tucked into his pants is a special type of shirt, seemingly folded into itself. Five folds exist, running from his left side to his right, as if his shirt was an ocean of black, complete with waves running from one side to the other. His sleeves extend down to his wrists to meet with a pair of black gloves. On the back of the right glove, a silver claw of an unknown animal is imprinted on the fabric. He wears a dark brown belt around his waist.

Equipment: Attached to his belt are two straight daggers sheathed on both sides of his body, drawn by crossing both arms in front of himself. The blades are eight inches in length with four-inch hilts, and are his main weapons.

Under his shirt is a thin leather vest that protects his torso from light blows while not impeding his motion. Attached to his vest are three very small knives. These knives are hidden and can only be drawn by reaching under certain folds in his shirt, through holes in the fabric. Only Zane knows the locations of the three holes. (This explains the purpose of the folds in his shirt).

These small blades are coated in a special poison that, when cutting into skin, causes an extreme burning sensation in the area around the wound. The worst of this pain will pass after a few seconds, but a painful tingle may linger, depending on what race the victim is and how deep the cut is. Due to the folds of the shirt, it is very difficult to know that the blades are there without patting him down.

Abilities: Zane has decent physical strength and exceptional agility, allowing him to move quickly and quietly when needed, as well as strike hard when necessary. His skill with his daggers makes him an excellent hand-to-hand combatant. He can also withdraw his hidden knives quickly, making for a nasty surprise.

His magical talent is more limited. Much of his training was spent learning the blade and stealth combat, so little time was spent honing his natural magical abilities. His only offensive capability is a small burst of dark energy that can be formed in his hand and "fired" like a shot. When this bit of magic makes contact with an opponent's head, it causes disorientation and a painful headache. Victims will have a hard time seeing straight or hearing clearly for a few seconds before the effects fade. Obviously, this attack would have no effect on inorganic beings or beings without a defined "brain." It is completely harmless if it strikes any body part that isn't the head, although victims may have a hard time blocking due to the speed of the spell.

His other magical ability is more dangerous, both to himself and to others. Given a few seconds, three at the least, to concentrate, Zane can render himself, as well as any equipment he is holding and clothing he is wearing, invisible. While invisible, he will be unable to hear all but the loudest or shrillest of sounds, and the effects only last for a maximum of about four seconds. After becoming visible again, Zane will be mildly disoriented for a few moments.

Of course, Zane has neither the training nor the magical capacity to overuse either of these abilities. The disorienting spell can only be used sparingly, and holding invisibility will deplete his magical energy quite quickly, causing him to be unable to use magic for several seconds, depending on the magic already used and the length of the invisibility. Becoming invisible is not something Zane likes to do, nor is it something he can do very often at all, so it will likely only be used if absolutely necessary.

History: Born into a poor family, Zane had very few luxuries growing up. Unable to afford private schooling and unwilling to travel the distance between his house and the nearest public school, he instead spent his days working the various tasks his father had him do. As he grew, he taught himself the ways of the world, learning from those around him and the events he saw unfold.

Zane was the only child of two devout followers of the Darkness Lord. They lived their lives as normally as any people living in near-poverty would, but raised their son to believe that their family owed the Lord of Darkness, "Xaznohr", as they called him, a great debt. "Darkness is nothing to fear. There's no need to hate it, as some do. Xaznohr is just as good a Lord as any of the others."

When Zane was around eleven years old, he learned the truth about his parents and the world. As simple and calm as their lives may have been, others would always blindly hate any who served the Dark, no matter how benign the follower was. To protect the family from those who would bring harm to that which they did not understand, Zane's father sought protection in places where those who served the Darkness Lord dwelled.

Not all followers of the Lord of Darkness are as well-intentioned as Zane's family. Soon, Zane's father began paying large sums of money to unsavory sources in order to ensure protection for his family. Shortly after Zane turned eleven, his father's debt caught up with the family. An organization known as The Predators reached a deal with Zane's father. In exchange for continued protection and the cancellation of all accumulated debt, Zane's father would give The Predators his son, to be raised in service of the Darkness Lord for fourteen years.

Zane soon learned that the organization was actually a guild of assassins, operating with maximum stealth to take out the toughest of targets for the wealthiest of clients. Training began immediately, and Zane was thrust into the complicated world of the criminal underground. At age sixteen he took his first human life. At age seventeen he no longer felt sympathy for his victims.

When Zane was twenty-five, his service had ended, and he left The Predators as a free man. Confused by his lack of remorse for what he had done and ashamed of what he perceived as failing Xaznohr, he returned home, only to discover that The Predators had not upheld their end of the bargain, and had left them to be hunted by their creditors and Darkness haters. Consumed by grief, Zane began working the only way he knew how, carrying out hits as an independent assassin known as "The Panther." Zane, unsure of whether he should seek revenge against The Predators or somehow begin a quiet life in service to the Darkness Lord, believes he has found his chance of redemption in the Elemental Championships, where all of his questions can be answered.
Post #: 54
8/4/2015 15:19:07   
Bastet

Good to see you again, Tdub.
Post #: 55
8/4/2015 16:10:27   
Azan

salene: A Light character with a Darkness one? I totally call alliance on that.

Ronin: Thank you, dear sir, for your detailed and encouraging comments! I worked on the character accordingly, I hope he has better balance and less nonsense now.

Name: Arvensis Elekar
Element: Light
Race: Half-Elemental
Appearance: Arvensis appears in the form of a 6' 1" human being with long, carefree flowing blond hair and a goatee. He is not very muscular, but quite slim. His arms and face are covered in tatoos made of light that shine brighter whenever he is angry or happy about something. He wears a white vest that does not cover his arms, and long white pants with white leather boots. All of his belongings (see Equipment) are in pouches around his belt. A scarf covers his neck.

Equipment: In pouches hanging from his belt, Arvensis wears the basic adventurer's survival kit: a small water skin, dried food supplies, a knife, rope, silex, etc. In another pouch he has his true weapon, the Lightshifter. (see Skills/Abilities)

Skills/Abilities:

• Lightshifter: The Lightshifter is Arvensis's weapon. It's made from solidified light that can take on the form of a knife, a shortsword, a two-handed longsword, a spear, a whip or a shield at will. It inflicts wounds just like a steel blade or leather whip would, and the shield appearance can block both physical attacks and lesser magical ones (by "lesser", I mean things such as a fireball, a lightning strike or an ice projectile, etc. If somebody opens up a volcano below Arvensis, the shield won't have much use.). When Arvensis shifts it, it shines more brightly and dissolves into the ambient light before solidifying again in the chosen form. This takes ~3 seconds (though I understand the time measurement has no real value in a RP fight, I indicate it so you can hopefully have a mental image of how it works).

• Sunray: Arvensis can channel the power of the sun into pure, damaging sunrays shot from his hand. This power is his most basic one, and it does not need much energy from him. Due to him not mastering the full power of his magic, his sunrays are not shot at actual lightspeed, allowing fast enemies to evade them.

• Unblinded: Arvensis's light elemental nature allows him to see through all illusions, including invisibility and magical veils preventing the use of his senses.

• Inner Light: Arvensis channels his inner light to heal wounds. He will heal all injuries lesser and equivalent to a dagger wound. This will also purge him of natural poisons, but not of magical ones. (if it's still too unbalanced, I can either remove the poison purge, reduce the power of the wound healing or increase the "no will to fight" penalty) Such a power takes time and energy to channel and will afterwards have a soothing effect on Arvensis that reduces his will to fight, thus reducing his speed and making him more vulnerable to fast opponents for a certain period of time.

• Shift: Arvensis uses the light around him to create illusions of himself. These illusions will attack but not harm the enemy, and they will vanish once stroke. The amount of illusions depends on where Arvensis fights: a full outside daylight environment will create 3, an inside environment or dusk/dawn environment will create 2, and a dark place or night environment will create only one. Once this spell is cast, the magical properties in the environing light will have to "regenerate", meaning Arvensis cannot cast Shift more than once per day.

• Wings of Mercy: Arvensis's most powerful - and hard to channel - magical power. He summons pure luminous wings around him and reveals his full elemental self. Raw elemental power overflows on the battlefield, cutting everyone except Arvensis from their five senses (any sixth sense or other type of sense, magical or not, is not affected). A soothing, peaceful feeling is also induced in his enemies, greatly reducing their will to fight and making their thoughts wander towards the happy moments of their life rather than towards the fight. The duration of this effect depends on the mental control the enemies have over themselves: the more mental control they have, the easier they will shake themselves out of this trance. (at that point, it's just a matter of how the other competitor RPs.) After casting this spell, Arvensis's wings break - meaning he cannot actually fly with them - and he returns to his human form. His fragile elemental nature must rest for a short time after this spell, meaning he loses the ability to summon Sunrays until he is restored.

Weaknesses:

• Incomplete Mastery: While Arvensis's weapon, the Lightshifter, is very powerful and weights virtually nothing, he does not master the art of fighting with weapons. He's a decent fighter who can hold his own, but not much more.

• Elemental Vulnerability: Due to Arvensis's fluctuating nature between his human and elemental self, he is very weak to his opposite element, Darkness. Without including numbers, this means that he will have a lot more difficulties withstanding the attacks of competitors aligned to Darkness.

Background: From his youngest age, Arvensis was destined to serve in the Temple of Light. After numerous years as an apprentice, he finally began having more important assignments than scrubbing the floor for the priests and began training as a caster. He became a capable light mage and eventually left the temple to adventure across the land, spread the light and help the needy (and admittedly get some gold in the process, 'cause nobody's perfect.) At age 28, in a faraway land, he found an old scroll that offered him a free cruise to the Bahamas! was the key to an ancestral ritual to becoming an actual Elemental. He performed the ritual and started to morph into a Light Elemental. However, the morphing process is very slow: it takes four years. Meaning that two years after, he's only Half-Elemental. Having not completely embraced this new race he is merging into, Arvensis fluctuates between his human and elemental self. His light magic is greatly enhanced by his elemental state, but he has not mastered it yet, meaning there are lots of drawbacks when casting spells. He wants to fight in the EC because he is quite confident in his elemental powers and in his belief that light is the best element around (Element Cookie being an exception, but since that does not exist, I'm sticking with Light).
Post #: 56
8/4/2015 17:46:09   
salene

You know what they say, opposites attract

Your right though!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 57
8/4/2015 18:57:19   
Apocalypse

Alliances already? Oh boy, seems like poor Lucia is being left behind already.

For those who care/are interested, I clarified that Lucia's Light Incarnations only exist so long as they are in her grasp. A few moments after leaving her hands its *blip* goodbye!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 58
8/4/2015 19:13:25   
Draycos777

Indeed. However, I wonder how long that alliance will last with Ravinia's personality. I mean she literally has backstab in her name...
AQ  Post #: 59
8/4/2015 21:09:03   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

Dell is likely to maybe do an alliance with the other person who has a sense about Justice (i.e. the paladin)
AQW Epic  Post #: 60
8/4/2015 21:43:13   
Starstruck

Name: Moriar Thornewood

Appearance: Moriar's first impression is intimidating. Thickly built, standing at 5'10", he has a grim demeanor, with lips that never smile and eyebrows that are always bunched in a cross between intense concentration and a heavy scowl. His bushy salt and pepper hair, bound into a complex woven braidlike structure, gives some impression as to his advanced age. However, he has an aura of youth and vitality, with a grand posture and a threatening countenance. His clothing is simple but elegant, a somewhat formal uniform dressed down to remove some of the weight. A black dress shirt and some slacks to start, with a blood red vest over top. Silver chains, slim but deceptively strong, are secured in a line down the vest - these are attached to Moriar's luxurious cape and prevent it from slipping off. A small touch of vanity with a silver watch and shiny black dress shoes. Moriar also comfortably leans on a thick black cane with a silver design on its ornate grip, but does not walk with a visible limp.

Moriar's cape is made of some lush and soft fabric that moves through the air like a whisper. Its design is curious; the edges appear to be unevenly ragged. On the fabric of the cape are designs of stars and constellations; looking at the cape is akin to staring into the cloudless night sky with unfamiliar constellations and a huge number of points of light. When the cape moves, by some fiendish illusion or enchantment, the design appears to stand still as the cape moves around it. The effect is fascinating and distracting, although certain sensitive audiences may find themselves becoming slightly nauseous if unprepared. He lacks eyes, instead seeming to possess two more swathes of the curious material that forms his cloak. To meet Moriar's gaze is to stare into eternity.

Equipment: The black cane is made of some kind of roughly hewn stone, polished smooth and carved into a faintly twisted design. It is a solid piece of work, and extremely heavy. At its tip is a shaped silver grip with a design resembling the full moon; through some trick, Moriar may detach the grip to reveal that it is the hilt of a ceremonial silver dagger. The dagger is long, with a simple, straight, and pleasing edge to it. It also reflects light well, which makes it seem to glow in dim places. It is sharp enough to draw blood with a touch, but unwieldy and too awkward for combat.

History: Whatever Moriar did before he came to the academy, he does not like to share it with others. In any case, the unsmiling student became the unsmiling professor in an astonishingly short amount of time, using some combination of natural skill with magic and a strong desire to learn and improve. The grim Moriar had little tolerance for bullies and thugs, frequently taking those who sought power over others down quite a few notches. His spellwork was dangerous and shockingly powerful; despite his refinement, Moriar's spells were brutally overwhelming, causing students to fear his discipline and cringe automatically in his presence. When he heard of the Elemental Championships, he became intrigued; the favor, granted by the Elemental Lords themselves, brought up old wounds and unfinished business he would like to resolve.

Skills, Spells, and Abilities:

Memento Mori - Moriar charges for 2-3 seconds, gathering shadows into his hands. The resulting bundle of energy seems almost like a tiny universe, with small points of light contained in it. He then launches it all in a concussive blast. The impact is tooth-rattling and will send its unlucky victims flying. Take care that this spell does not strike a joint or vital area, as the results will be...unfortunate. Should the spell not collide with its target, the small crater it leaves with its earth-shaking impact will be a grim reminder of Moriar’s raw power.

Semper Crescis Aut Decrescis - Conjures a faintly glowing shield around himself with a lunar pattern on it, sustained by his attention and mana. Nothing may pass through the shield, not even from the inside. The shield will degrade, crack, or shatter under the stress of powerful attacks and spells, and cannot be refreshed; however, it may be used multiple times, always in the same condition it was dispelled in.

Valse Macabre – Draws in a swirl of shadows around Moriar's left hand, which can be fired in a moderately thick beam of dark energy that has a similar appearance to Moriar's cape and eyes. This causes numbness and tears physically away at the affected area.

Dulce et Decorum Est – Sacrifices blood from a willing participant, which spatters into a star-shaped sigil on the ground - Moriar may control the amount of blood spilled, which will increase the size and stored energy of the sigil at the obvious cost of exsanguination. When the sigil has dried, Moriar may say “Pro Patria Mori” which will detonate it in an explosive shockwave of dark energy.

Omnia Mors Aequat – Moriar slams his cane into the earth, which sends out a pulse of starry darkness outwards from below him, lashing out at those it strikes, then draws it back in after it has traveled 5 feet, tripping them. This spell only affects things touching the ground.

Eris Quod Sum – With a sweep of his cape, Moriar sends a dazzling wave of star-studded energy flowing forwards to swirl around a small (approx. 4-5ft in diameter) area in front of him. After a brief delay, a massive rush of celestial energy strikes that area from above, causing considerable damage to things it strikes. A small gravitational influence will speed up those entering the vortex and slow down those attempting to leave it.
DF MQ  Post #: 61
8/4/2015 23:05:12   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Another day, another set of bios, and another returning face I had been looking forward to seeing! Makes it a good day, in my opinion, to be the Director. So let's get to it, shall we?

@Tdub - Thankfully, I caught you earlier today when I skimmed your bio, getting the clarification that I needed out of the way in advance of the Sweep. Which makes this a much, much quicker process rather than the back-and-forth aspect given time lags and notice. And so on. You've decided to go with an interesting route of poison, I see. Certainly nothing terribly powerful, and yet I can see some of the applications you might just have in mind. I stand interested to watch the more...shall we say charlatan...aspects in action with the sleight of hand. The magic is strictly tactical, which is nice to see, and fittingly subdued given the flavor reasoning preceding the list.

Therefore: Approved!

@Azan - My apologies, again, for not quite getting the post with feedback up before you vanished from IRC last night. So let's see here...first off there's the updated Lightshifter. You've given a description of the reforming, which is nice, and even added a time reference that is appreciated although not entirely needed since you have the description. That's fine, mind. A bit more detail on its shield form - I don't think that was all that necessary, but it doesn't change the balance much at all, so it works.

Inner Light's update is...workable! The poison purge aspect is fine - you are trading the disadvantage of being poisoned by the disadvantage of creating a potentially high-threat opening. That, and poisons are rare this year thus far, and Zane might be delighted more at the opening.

Shift has been updated as requested, and the current wording is now fine. Excellent! Aaaaand you took out that random table of nonsense in favor of a single and traditional weakness to elemental effects of Darkness.

You've done what was necessary, and while some aspects could be reworded into a tighter state, you've done more than enough to bring your bio to an Approved state. Thanks for bearing with me. Approved!

@Starstruck - As with DNW, this isn't the first time I've actually seen a concept, just the first time its been in the thread. I see some edits, some removals, and some reworks since then. Seems fine up until the new spell list. So, let's take it from the top!

You've added more description to Memento Mori, and suddenly it seems more powerful and inconsistent. Originally it was a knockback that would wrench joints, but that level of blast wouldn't leave craters in the ground...and it would do far more than just knock people back. Also, you gave it a specific charge time for gathering the spell effect in hand - Why!? Have I not made it clear that I prefer descriptions rather than precise measurements of time unless it is absolutely necessary? - but its so effortlessly short for the now much enhanced effect. Can't say I'm pleased, so I think you know this needs adjusting now.

Semper Crescis Aut Decrescis has been altered to a much less abusable state than the preview from earlier. Somewhat balanced, too, given the total defense nature of it. This passes, as a singular spell.

I notice you really like the name Valse Macabre, since the original spell was thrown out and this version is entirely new. A curious decision to numb down pain. Certainly isn't the worst flavoring treatment for an elemental attack.

Dulce et Decorum Est has been reduced to a single sigil, but its a bit of an awkward duck. Blood doesn't exactly dry all that fast, so using that as the primer for the sigil to be ready is the awkward part of the mechanics. The blood needs time before it can detonate, I get the core reasoning of the concept Just...well, as I said. Effectively a Darkness mine created by willing blood. Mechanically, I'm fine with that, though it might be dangerous to use depending on which Arena Moriar is in.

I assume that Omnia Mors Aequat is an omni-directional burst along the ground? Odd choice to trip, but hey, defensive utility and might serve as a setup for something else. Again, wording issues, but this time more on the count of clarity than awkwardness.

Lastly we get around to Eris Quod Sum. The way it is described, it would be useless in an indoor arena. All two of those, so that's a thing that may or may not matter. What gives me pause is the gravity effect. That will be hard to enforce out of your competitors, and it works oddly. Oh, and the celestial energy referenced? I'm not allowing a dodge into non-elemental here, your entire motiff is this stars and space, so that's Darkness in terms of mechanics.

Overall, it still needs some significant work in the spell list before I'll approve this bio, Star. Take some time, think it over, and I'll be here when you have a rework ready for evaluation.

And that's it for tonight, folks! I plan on hitting the Master List shortly, but first I'll be stepping over to the RPA and handling a thing or two that are somewhat overdue. While it is slower over there, that's still not exactly an excuse to get behind, no matter how much work is involved in the Elemental Championships by the Director. Oh, and I'll give an early head's up about this weekend. I may be a bit hard to get in touch with due to both a final exam and a final class project that both will be posted on Friday for me to handle. Fair warning, but I should still manage to sweep submissions each night of the weekend.
AQ  Post #: 62
8/5/2015 19:20:45   
Starstruck

Changelog: Adjusted Momento Mori to reduce power. Clarified Dulce Et Decorum Est and Omia Mors Aequat slightly - the awkward mechanics were fully intentional, but I did not do a good job of making that obvious. Removed Eris Quod Sum to reduce the overall power and versatility of the character.

Marvel at my pretty Latin spell names! And the French one.

Name: Moriar Thornewood

Appearance: Moriar's first impression is intimidating. Thickly built, standing at 5'10", he has a grim demeanor, with lips that never smile and eyebrows that are always bunched in a cross between intense concentration and a heavy scowl. His bushy salt and pepper hair, bound into a complex woven braidlike structure, gives some impression as to his advanced age. However, he has an aura of youth and vitality, with a grand posture and a threatening countenance. His clothing is simple but elegant, a somewhat formal uniform dressed down to remove some of the weight. A black dress shirt and some slacks to start, with a blood red vest over top. Silver chains, slim but deceptively strong, are secured in a line down the vest - these are attached to Moriar's luxurious cape and prevent it from slipping off. A small touch of vanity with a silver watch and shiny black dress shoes. Moriar also comfortably leans on a thick black cane with a silver design on its ornate grip, but does not walk with a visible limp.

Moriar's cape is made of some lush and soft fabric that moves through the air like a whisper. Its design is curious; the edges appear to be unevenly ragged. On the fabric of the cape are designs of stars and constellations; looking at the cape is akin to staring into the cloudless night sky with unfamiliar constellations and a huge number of points of light. When the cape moves, by some fiendish illusion or enchantment, the design appears to stand still as the cape moves around it. The effect is fascinating and distracting, although certain sensitive audiences may find themselves becoming slightly nauseous if unprepared. He lacks eyes, instead seeming to possess two more swathes of the curious material that forms his cloak. To meet Moriar's gaze is to stare into eternity.

Equipment: The black cane is made of some kind of roughly hewn stone, polished smooth and carved into a faintly twisted design. It is a solid piece of work, and extremely heavy. At its tip is a shaped silver grip with a design resembling the full moon; through some trick, Moriar may detach the grip to reveal that it is the hilt of a ceremonial silver dagger. The dagger is long, with a simple, straight, and pleasing edge to it. It also reflects light well, which makes it seem to glow in dim places. It is sharp enough to draw blood with a touch, but unwieldy and too awkward for combat.

History: Whatever Moriar did before he came to the academy, he does not like to share it with others. In any case, the unsmiling student became the unsmiling professor in an astonishingly short amount of time, using some combination of natural skill with magic and a strong desire to learn and improve. The grim Moriar had little tolerance for bullies and thugs, frequently taking those who sought power over others down quite a few notches. His spellwork was dangerous and shockingly powerful; despite his refinement, Moriar's spells were brutally overwhelming, causing students to fear his discipline and cringe automatically in his presence. When he heard of the Elemental Championships, he became intrigued; the favor, granted by the Elemental Lords themselves, brought up old wounds and unfinished business he would like to resolve.

Skills, Spells, and Abilities:

Memento Mori - Moriar gathers a large bundle of shadows into his hands. The resulting collection of energy seems almost like a tiny universe, with small points of light contained in it. He can then launch it all in a concussive blast. The impact is tooth-rattling and can send its unlucky victims flying. Take care that this spell does not directly strike a joint or sensitive vital area, as the results will be...meteoric. However, managing to avoid the highly concentrated center of the spell will end far more favorably for the target than taking a hit from its volatile center, even if the spell strikes a weak point.

Semper Crescis Aut Decrescis - Conjures a faintly glowing shield around himself with a lunar pattern on it, sustained by his attention and mana. Nothing may pass through the shield, not even from the inside. The shield will degrade, crack, or shatter under the stress of powerful attacks and spells, and cannot be refreshed; however, it may be dispelled and used multiple times, always in the same condition it was in before.

Valse Macabre – Draws in a swirl of shadows around Moriar's left hand, which can be fired in a moderately thick beam of dark energy that has a similar appearance to Moriar's cape and eyes. This causes numbness and tears physically away at the affected area.

Dulce et Decorum Est – Sacrifices blood from a willing participant, which spatters into a pentagram-shaped sigil on the ground - Moriar may control the amount of blood spilled, which will increase the size and stored energy of the sigil at the obvious cost of minor exsanguination. Moriar may say “Pro Patria Mori” which will detonate it in an explosive shockwave of dark energy. Before a sigil can be detonated, it must dry, which can take a significant amount of time. Moriar can detonate multiple sigils at a time, and must focus on the exact sigil he wishes to detonate. Should a sigil become smudged, the explosion will be heavily weakened or even totally neutralized.

Omnia Mors Aequat – Moriar slams his cane into the earth, which sends out a pulse of starry darkness outwards from below him in every direction, lashing out at those it strikes. The energy draws mercilessly back toward's Moriar's location after it has traveled a decent distance, tripping the affected. This spell only affects things touching the ground.

Here's a link to my first post!

< Message edited by Starstruck -- 8/14/2015 13:57:48 >
DF MQ  Post #: 63
8/5/2015 21:50:25   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

A simple night tonight. I'll take the momentary respite from a mass of bios, but I expect more tomorrow! Challenge your friends to come join and try to bury me in bios to review, I dare you! BWhahahahahah!

Ahem. *cough* So, it is just you tonight Starstruck. No need for fancy formatting here I suppose. You've taken Memento Mori back down close to the first version that I have seen, altered Dulce et Decorum Est to be potentially less effective while allowing for multiple sigils to exist simultaneously, and Omnia Mors Aequat is now an outright pull rather than tripping. It's better. Some awkward wording in there on occasion, but the spell list is decidedly better even before considering you had also dropped Eris Quod Sum. There's still some leeway, and getting certain effects to stick will require you to collab with your targets to at least give them a head's up / reminder about things. Still...I suppose you've made a good enough effort to bring it all back into line for overall balance.

Approved.

AQ  Post #: 64
8/6/2015 13:15:20   
Apocalypse

@DNW: A Sheriff-Paladin alliance DOES have its appeal. We'll just have to see how the arenas pan-out.

After all, the EC has a way of making strange bedfellows...
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 65
8/6/2015 23:57:01   
Draycos777

Looks like Ronin got a day off from bios today.

Poor earth and water... no love this year.
AQ  Post #: 66
8/7/2015 8:59:45   
Ultrapowerpie

Mail Moogle of AdventureQuest

Thank the Ronin for approving John. Now we can clean up the EC :D
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 67
8/7/2015 14:14:25   
Kooroo

Holy hell.

All of you entrants have a name that either start with 'D' or 'S'. That's just weird.
And the rest of you are rebels. 'K', 'A', etc.

Anyway, usual deal. This looks like a pretty normal showing this year. Numbers down from last year, though there are a couple more days for entry for that record to be broken, I suppose.
Fairly interesting lot.

Will be watching, so good luck, have fun and don't go quietly.
AQW Epic  Post #: 68
8/7/2015 16:13:10   
Draysin

(Looks at his own name..)

DEAR GOD...
Post #: 69
8/7/2015 18:06:40   
Apocalypse

Huh, and both the A's are fighting for Light.

@Azan: THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 70
8/7/2015 18:07:31   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

The numbers are fine with 5 days remaining till kickoff, and by the end of the Applications phase, should be near to the same as last year. That's without myself or a few other members of either the L&L old guard or some of the perennials, because of life getting in the way. However on the flip side we've got a good bit of new blood so far and I'm still expecting two other specific entries from what I've been warned of via IRC and such.

Really, 24 is an ideal for coming back to the Directorship and running it solo. Not that I would mind conducting 32 or even 40 (intentional breakpoints with every 8, mind), but it is what it is given the state of the creative boards these days. Meanwhile I will do my best, add a bit more polish and fluff, and hope to leave a more fantastic impression in spectator's minds for the years to come. Building up the Arena Complex and Bren brick by brick, year by year.

I do hope you enjoy the show, Kooroo!
AQ  Post #: 71
8/7/2015 19:33:58   
Azan

quote:

Huh, and both the A's are fighting for Light.

@Azan: THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Challenge accepted.

(... if my "ally" doesn't backstab me first. xD )
Post #: 72
8/7/2015 22:19:25   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Seeing as how I didn't need to Sweep through any bios or resubmissions for another day running...I've decided to tease a portion of one of the potential arenas.

One. Out of Six that are already prepared and awaiting the randomization of which actually will see play. And right now we are looking at only needing three so this arena may not be used this year! For those who prefer to be surprised by the whole ordeal in one go, I have spoiler tagged the teaser tidbit.

spoiler:

The sigils of this particular arena were, perhaps, the least telling of what lay within. It caught the pure essence of uncapped waters at native spring, this sigil for Fountain. Yet Fountain held many secrets close to its bodice, each year presenting a different veil for those who fought on the sacred grounds within. Not that the perennials among the spectators minded. Quite the contrary! If Fountain was coy and flirtatious in its ever-changing design, then every year they would be treated to an entirely new display of tactics and surprises. The delight had even slowly made the concept of chameleon to be seen as a base and rude reference.

There was a beauty in Change, and the complex did so enjoy putting on all its airs each year in Fountain.

There was the slow grind of stone against stone as hidden mechanisms raised the equidistant portcullises around the perimeter of the arena. An agonizing last annoyance before the chosen few could witness the full sights of Fountain’s demesne. Even so, the scents of the arena rushed under the rising wrought iron of the enchanted gateway, leaving a very distinct impression.

Ozone.
AQ  Post #: 73
8/7/2015 23:05:13   
salene

And why would I ever do that? Im COMPLETELY harmless! I didn't even sharpen my blades today
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 74
8/7/2015 23:22:04   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

Just remember what Apocalypse said everyone, We actually don't know what arena's we're all going in, so it may be perhaps more difficult then some of the ones we've seen before.

I have done a handful of roleplaying this year including the Rise of Domrius along with a handful of other participants. Moogle. It is an esteemed pleasure to see you and to welcome you back to the elemental championships.

Hopefully, this year shall be the one I actually see myself in the finals.

And even if I don't. I welcome each and every participant in this combat, to the EC and I'm glad to see all of you, new and old blood alike. And I am humbled to be writing with all the writers out there. Kudos to one and all.
AQW Epic  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =Elemental Championships 2015= OOC - Competitors Assemble
Page 3 of 9«<12345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition