Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =Elemental Championships 2015= OOC - Competitors Assemble

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =Elemental Championships 2015= OOC - Competitors Assemble
Page 4 of 9«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/8/2015 0:28:15   
nield
Creative!

We'll see how the dice roll, not just for what arena's will be on display, but what matchups we see in them. I can only hope that Garreth enjoys himself more than Ineria did in last year's ECs, heh. Though, I fear I may drag him down a little, as I've not done any writing or RPing since the ECs last year.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 76
8/8/2015 9:13:06   
Retro The Watcher

(Sorry, I know I´m posting an unfinished character, but I'm currently in a different country with limited wifi, so I just wanted to get it started as soon as possible)

Name: Uriel

Element: Water

Race (Pure or halfbreed only): Elemental/Human

Appearance (Build, hair, skin, clothes...):

Human:

Uriel´s base appearance is that of a 6ft, fair-skinned human with a skinny but defined build to him. He has dark, deep-blue eyes as all water elementals of his type do and small, almost-velvet textured lips. Uriel has long, white hair that flows down his slightly bulky shoulders. He wears a light set of rugged-leather armour, which is torn in various places due to previous ventures; many stitches and patches cover the numerous rips. There are several scars going from hand to upper arm on his left side; believed to be from being beaten and tortured by an unknown group of magic haters. Uriel has a small satchel used for carrying letters and light packages slung from his shoulder to his right-hand side, which is covered in a variety of hand-stitched badges from different locations.

Elemental (Water):

In his elemental form, Uriel stands at around 5'6 when at peak height. He converts all water in his body and the surrounding area (as much as needed) into this magical form. Whilst in this state he can freely move around any object that allows water to pass through it, such as dirt, plants, etc. but cannot pass through things that contain water but aren't porous on the surface (such as humans and other animals). He also cannot change his state of matter to become a gas, such as steam.

Belongings:

Aside from his clothes and small satchel the only other things Uriel owns is a light-weight bag hanging from his back, which contains some basic food and survival equipment and a family-crested sword which had been passed down for generations and was enchanted with a water gem, able to inflict water-based damage on contact; the gem can be removed from the sword to make it neutral, and other gems from different elements cannot be added.

Personality:

Uriel is a very caring and compassionate person who tries to avoid most conflict is needed, but is very capable of fighting to the bitter end is absolutely necessary; and he has done a few times in the past. He is very wary, though, and has highly attuned senses which he generally uses to avoid potential/dangerous creatures.
He often tries to steer away from forming friendships and enjoys isolation from the main magic community; although he has been known to form strong bonds with a few elementals aligned not to his own.

History:

Uriel tends to keep his history under wraps because he doesn't want to have to revisit the 'dark times' that he underwent. What is known about him is that he comes from a line of expert water elementals, who are viewed very highly by others of their kind; even by elementals outside their affinity.
Uriel is known to be a deliverer of letters and parcels, and does so by a rare magical ability; teleportation, which he can do proficiently and precisely.

It is also believe that the reason he joined this competition is that he must win and collect the prize to be able to save his parents, who where captured only 2 weeks before...

Skills, spells and abilities:

Fighting abilities:
Even though it may not seem it, Uriel is a confident and skilled close-quarters fighter with a sword, able to strike swiftly with deadly aim. He learnt the ability to fight under his fathers teachings, and when he surpassed his father he was given the family heirloom; The Abyss.

Water elemental transformation:
He has the ability to change from a human to a water elemental at will, if the environment suits and allows it. In this form he has control over water, but his physical fighting capabilities dramatically decrease during usage.

Water manipulation:
When in his elemental form, Uriel has control over any supply of water available via porous means. He has little to no control of water when in human form.

Teleportation:
Uriel has the ability to teleport long and short distances with this ability, which can be used at will; however, each teleport has a delay of around 2.5-5 (depending on the distance) seconds before he can do so again, meaning he cannot instantly teleport. He cannot use this ability when in elemental form.

< Message edited by Retro The Watcher -- 8/12/2015 11:24:30 >
Post #: 77
8/8/2015 12:20:06   
Starstruck

I really want to be placed in Fountain for some reason????
DF MQ  Post #: 78
8/8/2015 13:04:24   
nield
Creative!

I dunno Snarkles. Personally, I'm interested in <Secret> as opposed to the other Arenas, but hey, that could just be me.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 79
8/8/2015 18:35:18   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Been awhile, Retro! That is perfectly fine. Making sure to let me know is pretty much all I need to work with you (or anyone) regarding extenuating circumstances like that. Take what time you need to finish that bio and just let me know when it is ready for its submission sweep.

As far as things go, I expected a few folks to have time to either finish applications that I know were in-progress, or resubmissions for the few folks who had issues. As a manner of encouragement, if I get a bio or resubmission tonight, I'll give the names of all six potential arenas for this year's competition. If I get four more in total by Sunday night's sweep (which is roughly around 10 PM server, depending on time to type up the responses), I will post a teaser bit from another arena. Randomly chosen by dice which, but I will reroll if it is from one of the least altered two.

Fair? I think so.
AQ  Post #: 80
8/8/2015 18:39:55   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

O.O! Oooh! Now there's something I'd like to see.
AQW Epic  Post #: 81
8/10/2015 0:36:07   
Riprose123

Name: Tomarul Valpar
Element: Earth
Race: Wolvenier (Humanoids created by the gods to dwell in the northern mountains and to guard the demons sealed in the Great Divide, lined on each side by the tall sentinels within Aor’s Belt, many of these bipedal wolves have wandered into hominid settlements, bringing their language and ways with them. Common traits include increased hair growth, a larger amount of muscle mass, a wolf like facial structure, with pointed nose and ears on top of the head, a tail sprouting from the hindquarters, enhanced senses, the ability to see in the dark, claws in the hands, abnormal leg design, making it nearly impossible for them to where footwear, and abnormal tallness. Wolvenier are abnormally gifted warriors, though most lack the social skills possessed by the more civil hominid races.)

Appearance: Tomarul, in typical wolvenier fashion, is covered in a soft layer of fur, colored a dusty grey, with black highlights, as if he were scorched by the very electricity that runs through him. Tomarul stands about 5' 6", much shorter than any wolvenier, which stands as a testament to his human mother. He is packed with wiry, hard packed muscle, designed for hard hitting, precise, and decimating quick strikes. His nose is quite pointed, much like the rest of his race, and his fangs are just as snarly and yellow as any of the fiercest of his race, and he makes a point of smiling or snarling as much as possible to show them off to the utmost effect. His eyes are a soft blue, resting at the base of his large snout.

Tomarul's clothing is somewhat typical for his race. His chest is completely bare, and his bottom half is covered with a pair of leather, stitched pants. They end right about where his haunches begin, and his feet are light, quick, and evenly spaced. Around his waist he wears a leather belt, with a multitude of metal blades attached to it, varying in size and length. Lastly, Tomarul wears a grey, wide brimmed wizard's hat, merely for the aesthetic feel.

Equipment: Tomarul carries two leather gauntlets, one on each hand, designed to be fit with the blades he carries around his waist through an innovative use of electro magnetism. They have slots woven into his three primary knuckles, and these act more as a guide then a fastener, keeping the blades pointed straight, while the magnetic field generated by the electricity coursing through Tomarul's skin. The blades themselves are all made of good, well tempered steel, and are the only physical weapons he utilizes.

Skills/Abilities: Tomarul has a wide variety of abilities and skills, ranging from the martial to the homely.

Combat: Tomarul, over the course of 30 years, has perfected his own, unique fighting style, thanks to the rather militaristic wolvinier society. He is a master when equipped with even as much as a single claw on one hand, and is quite adept at fighting unarmed, given the opportunity. As he wears no armor, he is unencumbered in combat. This is gives him maximum maneuverability, and paired with his great speed and flexibility, he can easily dodge most any attack thrown at him.

Magnetic Fields: Tomarul posses a very strong magnetic field. He can control the intensity, as well as the nature of the field, as in if it attracts metals, or repulses them. This is his main method of attaching his blades to him, as well as being able to launch them off of his hand with the same accuracy and power as that of a common crossbow. These fields also allow him to pull and push his enemies, granted they are wearing some type of metal on them. The type of armor they wear, as well as the relative size of the pieces, where they are located on the body, and the overall size and balance of the individual all influence how much he can pull or push them without hurting himself. If he were to try and move something beyond his strength, he would begin to bleed from the nose, and prolonged exertion of his power may even lead to other implications, such as trouble breathing, numbness in the limbs, and even internal bleeding or aneurysms.

Woodsmen Training: Tomarul has had extensive training in camp skills, mainly the art of tracking and hunting, fire building, foraging, basic first aid, and basic herbology. He knows what may kill him if he were to eat it, and what would not.

Tomarul is a skilled acrobat and athlete, his smaller build being a natural advantage over the much larger members of his race, even if he lacks their strength and reach. Even without the larger stature that is normal to his race, he is stronger than the normal human, and has had years of combat experience. He works well alone, and his cunning and strategic mind has been well rewarded within the Wolvinier's militaristic society. He is one of the greatest Hunters of his time, quiet, quick, and deadly.

History: Tomarul was born to a wolvinier general and his human mother. The general had been having an affair for sometime, and had finally got careless, leading to the birth of perhaps the greatest of his children. Tomarul's mother perished during child birth, but the general took his son in, much to his wife's protest. Four years past, and Jelr, the general's wife, became more and more resentful of the proud son that was not her's. He was a fast lad, and smart, his mind processing information faster than that of his brothers. At four years old, his father was presented with a choice. Either his wife could kill the boy that she had tolerated for years, but would not accept were better than her own, or he could be sent away. Regretfully, the general chose to send him away, and gave the small four year old to the military, three years early than what was required of him.

And so began his illustrious career as a soldier and hunter. He was put in simple training with pups almost twice his age, and succeeded in some places, and failed at others. He was the best in his class when put in command, navigating his squad mates into devastating maneuvers, but showed little in the way of teamwork, usually staying back from the action himself. He showed great talent alone, skulking through the shadows, but showed very little skill with blade or axe, the favored weapons of Wolvinier soldiers. As such, he was quickly put into the Courier Corps, running messages throughout the mountains. The danger was little, and he quickly grew bored in the short time he served there.

It was around this time, about his ninth birthday, that his powers first manifested, and as he handed a general a report from a guard station, every piece of armor in the room rattled. The general made note of this, and Tomarul was taken from the Courier branch, and placed within the camp of magically gifted Wolvinier. He was given training focused personally on his own talents and skills, as well as to test and expand upon his own unique abilities. After five years, on his fourteenth birthday, he was deemed worthy of action, and was hand picked to be an elite Huntsman, one of the greatest honors for a Wolvinier.

The Huntsmen, better known simply as Hunters, are a select group within Wolvinier culture. They answer directly to the Council of Generals, and are given total immunity to the law. They are allowed to bend societies laws, as long as they accomplish their goal, which is usually the hunting of deserters, or escaped demons from the Great Rift. They are honored throughout the society, and known by name and face to all Wolvinier. They are living legends in their culture, and are known beyond their kin as dangerous enemies indeed.

Tomarul went on to hunt many, deserters, demons, and even political targets that opposed the Wolvinier. He was one of the best, and after serving his fifteen years of mandatory service, was honorably discharged with everyone of his honors and awards in tact. He now travels, wanting to see more of the world, and visits what few friends he had made in his time in the military. He heard of the tournament through the grapevine, word from mouth, and has come to participate because he needs new challenges, and merely wishes to prove, once and for all, that he is the best of the best.

< Message edited by Riprose123 -- 8/15/2015 1:45:25 >
DF MQ  Post #: 82
8/11/2015 0:20:45   
ringulreith

I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for this all summer! Here goes.

Name: Phoebe
[link=]first post[/link]

Description:
Phoebe is a Dryad, a form of nymph that is bound to a tree as a guardian.
In appearance, she is a fair-skinned, dark-haired woman with alert black eyes.
Her curves are modest, and her overall build is mostly average but a bit on the slender side.
She does not appear wearing any clothing. (However, if this is an issue with the forum rating rules, I can tweak it, but her neudity will only be for flavour.)

Abilities:
Ahh, we finally come to the interesting bit.
Phoebe herself is not the main attraction. Rather, as a Dryad she of course has an ami arbre, to whom her life and location is tied.
The immediately obvious consequence is that Phoebe is only hurt by damage to her tree. In fact, she cannot kinetically interact with the world at all (except for speaking because nobody ever questions intangible vocalization mechanics because a wizard did it, anyway). Additionally, she is tethered to the tree, and can't move very far from it. The tether isn't actually very rigid, so with more willpower she can stretch it further. This basically has an upper limit of around ten metres (~33 ft for the metrically challenged).
Phoebe has practically complete mental control over the tree, which includes some motor function in the branches/extremities with a range of freedom limited by snapping. Finally, she can sacrifice some of her mental energy to encourage growth and regeneration in the tree. This takes a fair bit of concentration, is very draining for significant effects, and has a functional combat application of recovering some twigs xor a branch, or healing patches of damaged bark.

Now hold up, you interject. This is all fine and dandy, but trees are stationary! Well, so is your imagination, it seems. For phoebe is no ordinary Dryad, and her tree is no run-of-the-mill plant. The force is strong in her... The force of 19th century Victorian inginuity! Phoebe's tree is a full-on steampunk masterpiece, with all the bells and whistles. First, I direct your incredulous gaze downwards, to the gleaming brass enclosure that contains the roots. This is part watering mechanism, and part mode of transportation. Inside this beauty is a system of hydraulic pumps that keep the roots adequitely nourished, and drive a set of two treads that allow the tree to be moved, albeit slowly. At the front is connected a pair of foldable extensions that can lower a ramp ahead and then retract it from behind, that is used for awkwardly navigating steps.
An array of gears and other clockwork bits trails from this enclosure up the trunk and into the branches, where twitches and rotations in steering twigs are translated into arbovehicular action. A little bit of rhythm and a lot of steam, come on baby do the locomotion with me.
Now I will direct your awed gaze upwards, to the cradel formed by the three main branches. A tank has been affixed there, with tubes coming out of it and burrowing into the surrounding bark. This baby collects sap and boils it, where it sits waiting for the right moment...
For, right above the tank, is an oblong contraption with a wide nozzle. Using another set of clockwork twig controls, the nozzle at the end can be rotated around a complete circular path in the horizontal plane. This is a canon, of course, as if you couldn't guess already. Boiling sap is sent into the barrel, where it is pressurized by more hydraulic pumps and sprayed out with sticky burning liquid fury!
Last, but certainly not least, is a set of rather more blunt instruments in the canopy. Some of the branches that stick out furthest are capped with wicked steel spikes and short curved blades. Near the very top, a pair of heavy spiked chains are coiled in wait, ready to be unwound by a set of gearwork, and used to lash and insnare unsuspecting victems.

As an aside, I do have more detailed mechanics worked out for the machinery, which I'd like to reveal in my posts instead of having a super technical infodump bio.
Post #: 83
8/11/2015 2:20:08   
TormentedDragon

Yeni Ara

Race: Dwarf
Element: Water

Yeni is of average height, for a dwarf, and of average build, that is to say, thick-set. Her round face with plump, rosy cheeks and wide, ready smile, framed by a massive set of thick, brown braids, is reminiscent of a good-natured nanny or baker. She is both, but only at home, only for her family, and only on weekends. Her real job is that of a craftswoman, specifically, a forgemaiden, a craft that demands the union of elements in a fashion most would not expect.

Mundane forging shapes earth by fire and quenches it in water. Yeni’s forging brings pieces of other elements into play, to imbue her crafts with magic. She is, at present, “merely” a journeyman, but that is due to change. The championship is a proving ground, for her skill as a warrior, yes, but more for her skill as an artisan. She enters only with what she has made, and that, more than anything, will carry her through.

She enters beneath the banner of Water as a symbol of her own development; shaped and fired as apprentice and journeyman, quenched in the arena. The difficulty of enchanting water, specifically in coaxing the element through the fires of the forge, serves as a demonstration of her skill as well, and though ice is yet more difficult, it is not nearly as symbolic.

Equipment:

Wave Hammer: This large, squared hammer features a cruel spike on one end, and flowing, etched lines reminiscent of tumbling waves on its darkened steel surface. Taking hold of its handle fills one’s ears with the roar of the sea, and the air with smell of salt water. A spray of brine accompanies each strike of the hammer, and by calling the word, the waves become real, propelling the hammer forward in a powerful blow.

Shimmering Shield: The lines adorning the curved surface of this round shield are a match for those on the hammer, and they seem to wave and flicker when one stares at them. Striking the shield coats one’s hand or weapon in water, leaving it drenched. Calling the proper word causes the lines of the shield to seep water, forming a replica of the shield itself four inches from its surface.

Rocky Shores: Exquisitely crafted plate made to turn blades aside, the breastplate of armor features the sea itself crashing against a sturdy rock, spray spouting in every direction, rendered in the same subtle linework as the rest of the set. When donned, the air surrounding becomes heavy with water, and an incoming strike that disturbs this moisture will be met by a thin but powerful spout of water, enough to foul the flight of arrows and perhaps surprise the wielder of a blade. It is unlikely to halt the strike of a warrior in a melee, but then, that’s what the hardy metal of the armor itself is for.

The spout will trigger one foot from the armor itself, and may fly, depending on trajectory, up to six or so feet.

Cap of Depths: Yeni’s hair makes a full helm impractical. Instead, she has opted for a simple cap with sideguards, to cover her forehead. Her hair itself serves to the protect the back of her head, the sheer mass providing cushion, while metal bands sheathe much of the braids in glimmering protection. The cap’s magic guards one’s eyes and throat, letting one breathe and see underwater without worry. At the word, the center of the cap will also fire a dart of stinging water, as if fired from a crossbow. It has never broken skin, but it is not pleasant to be struck by, especially if one were to get it in the eyes.

Sea Striders: These heavy stompers bear the images of dolphins at player, and let one walk on the surface of water. At the word, a step in a direction will call a wave in miniature to carry the user in that direction. Keeping one’s balance can be interesting, and fun.

The wave, curiously, vanishes in passing, and leaves no water upon the ground.

Hands of the Mer: These sturdy gauntlets bear little in the way of ocean-related iconography, favoring instead wavy lines that connect to runic letters. With the word, and the focus of the bearer, they allow the shaping of water within a foot of the bearer, up to a moderate amount. Intended for use with the Shimmering Shield in particular, the liquid constructs are an arsenal of defense, primarily. At the range of a foot, it is far more effective to let them be and focus on hammer and shield.

Apart from her gear and her skill as a warrior, Yeni has no other tricks. If it's not listed here, she doesn't have it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 84
8/11/2015 22:39:33   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Huzzah for progress on character bios, especially as one of the players I have been anticipating finally cropped up. That's right folks, I shook a few trees till the TormentedDragon fell out. A bit grumpy with me, perhaps, but he's here as well! Before I get to the Sweep, though, I'd like to take a moment to point a few things out. First off, both Retro the Watcher and Riprose! You each have about 24 hours to get your initial submissions finished and IN. I cut off accepting new submissions at 10 PM Server Time tomorrow, which is about 10 PM Eastern Standard for those unaware. Anyone who has a submission that was in need of alterations due to balance concerns before it is acceptable, including denials with major issues, you have time beyond the new application cutoff to get the characters fixed. This is an additional 24 hour grace period - I will be active and present for as close to immediate feedback as possible during that grace period!

However, time-permitting, I will be putting the randomly selected arenas up BEFORE that cutoff period, along with the initial rosters (not counting deadline submissions and resubmits). I am also choosing to be graceful regarding entrance idle times since the evening is not always ideal for everyone. The default idle out timer starts on Noon on Thursday the 13th. Even so, if you have any prologue portions of flavor for your posts, you may want to go ahead and start getting them written. PM me with fluff/flavor questions if need be, I won't mind. Same goes for the small number of folks whose submissions were initially denied, there is still time to fix the issues and I would love to have you compete! Now then, to the bios for this evening.

@ringulreith - Before I get to the meat, let me just say this. I adore the dressing you've done in regards to the presentation. It is unique and made me grin, not the easiest of things, unfortunately it isn't what I have to focus on though. My initial takeaway from the submitted bio is thus: you have a Tree Tank with an illusory persona. Yes, I'm aware Phoebe is a dryad, but mechanically she can do nothing save speak and look pretty. Do please clothe her - perhaps bits of lichen and bark vaguely emulating clothing? Choice is yours, but I'd rather not flirt too hard with the rating. Also, giving me as the Director some sort of baseline on the regeneration and growth factors would be a fairly wise idea.

Meanwhile, the Tree Tank. A sap cannon, correction a boiling sap cannon, with a number of close-defense "gear" attached to the branches. There's...alot of questions here that need answering before I can really try to tackle approval on terms of that art called balancing the field. Like rate of fire, nature of the shot (stream of sap or shotgun goo blast) and 'rounds' (or is it volleys?) of ammunition, since sap is more collected over time in any significant amount to be used like this. Its still a tree, so I assume Fire would still be very bad news, and the nature of your description makes it seem like Energy would be pretty bad news bears as well. "Some motor function" makes me think that it is in part a limited range of motion of the branches, but also that all that wicked close in gear would be fairly slow on the attack as branches creak and groan. I have a feeling I should be cursing Drakel technology for the entire affair, though I admit directly referencing Victorian Era Steampunk is VERY much accurate for the mental picture you are pushing here.

Yeah, this comes down to needing alot more information before I can actually make a firm opinion. I understand not wanting to make a technical infobomb as your bio, really I do, but I'll need more of the information. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not infobomb the thread. Also, the word infobomb is amusing.

@TormentedDragon - I'm glad you finally got your bio up and in, no matter how much self-styled rust you want to complain about. As for Yeni, you are running a rather consistent theme that will make any of the Energy contestants already approved very happy, I suspect, assuming chance favors being matched in the same arena. You did give me a glimpse at a rough-cut version of her gear before, so what I have to say here probably isn't too much of a surprise. The thematic is sound and amusing, with certain aspects being more flavor than particularly useful - at least on your own rather than allied with, say, someone who likes folks being more conductive. The only real issue is the effect on Rocky Shores. You go as far as effectively implying a near-immunity to mundane ranged attacks, and we do have a few such characters. Granted, spears have more weight and the crossbow bolts have more heft, but I am sure you can understand why it has its problems with your current description. In part also because it activates at a point almost too late to completely foul arrows and bolts.

Conditionally Approved with the understanding that Rocky Shores is not quite as fully potent as currently described for ranged attacks. After all, what's the point of that nifty shield otherwise?

Edit: TD and I are discussing on IRC to reach an amicable understanding. His approval will be full, once the master list is updated.

So, now that the bios are handled, I'll be a bit nice. The following are the Six Arenas prepared with a short blurb to tease, since the choice of which will be showcased is, like all else, randomized.

Fountain Arena - Masked behind veils, the makeup of this arena always shows a drastically new face each year. Many a consort wishes they were adept at the art of Change as this gorgeous locale amidst the events of blood and conquest.

Cellar Arena - Buried deep beneath the original Grand Arena itself, Cellar has seen the least changes over the years compared to its kin. Known to sap at the body and spirits of competitors unfortunate enough to descend to its depths, will Hope prevail upon meeting its new facade?

Sky Arena - The monolithic rocks of Sky were not been lofted this past year, but they have been lovingly cared for by many a mason in their off hours. Lofted high amidst a balance of levitation and weather magics, its simplicity still expresses a wild temperament for those who embrace its nature. Such is the movement of Mercy amidst the Championships.

Spike Arena - None can deny that the arenas have shown distinct personality in the past, and that the Championships themselves are not beyond pure Malice. Over the course of the year, the demands of the complex were realized, and Spike was unearthed anew. Some poor souls, touched in the secret depths of their hearts and minds, have considered its design to be reminiscent of the maw of some great beast. Are they wrong? No one has been brave enough to prove it thus far.

Factory Arena - Once new, twice furious. This ensconced mechanical monstrosity has entranced many a Drakel to figure out how it works. They claim it does not, they claim it is impossible, and yet the molten metals and acidic compounds are just as much a lifeblood of the complex as anything else. Take heart, those entrapped in this domain, for only by Dedication will survival be assured.

Twilight Arena - The older the complex becomes, as ancient as it may be, it too enjoys its own measures of Innovation. Within the bounds of Twilight, competitors will find Light and Darkness at play through a unique arrangement of enchantment and indoor cloud cover. Only the most inventive will be able to use what little the environment provides to their advantage. (This arena was admittedly inspired by episode XV of Samurai Jack, "Samurai versus Ninja". I take no shame in admitting my references.)

< Message edited by Ronin Of Dreams -- 8/11/2015 22:52:39 >
AQ  Post #: 85
8/11/2015 23:03:30   
Riprose123

Reposting the finished bio by request:

Name: Tomarul Valpar
Element: Earth.
Race: Wolvenier (Humanoids created by the gods to dwell in the northern mountains and to guard the demons sealed in the Great Divide, lined on each side by the tall sentinels within Aor’s Belt, many of these bipedal wolves have wandered into hominid settlements, bringing their language and ways with them. Common traits include increased hair growth, a larger amount of muscle mass, a wolf like facial structure, with pointed nose and ears on top of the head, a tail sprouting from the hindquarters, enhanced senses, the ability to see in the dark, claws in the hands, abnormal leg design, making it nearly impossible for them to where footwear, and abnormal tallness. Wolvenier are abnormally gifted warriors, though most lack the social skills possessed by the more civil hominid races.)

Appearance: Tomarul, in typical wolvenier fashion, is covered in a soft layer of fur, colored a dusty grey, with black highlights, as if he were scorched and charred by some unkwnown source. Tomarul stands about 5' 6", much shorter than any wolvenier, which stands as a testament to his human mother. He is packed with wiry, hard packed muscle, designed for hard hitting, precise, and decimating quick strikes. His nose is quite pointed, much like the rest of his race, and his fangs are just as snarly and yellow as any of the fiercest of his race, and he makes a point of smiling or snarling as much as possible to show them off to the utmost effect. His eyes are a soft blue, resting at the base of his large snout.

Tomarul's clothing is somewhat typical for his race. His chest is completely bare, and his bottom half is covered with a pair of leather, stitched pants. They end right about where his haunches begin, and his feet are light, quick, and evenly spaced. Around his waist he wears a leather belt, with a multitude of metal blades attached to it, varying in size and length. Lastly, Tomarul wears a grey, wide brimmed wizard's hat, merely for the aesthetic feel.

Equipment: Tomarul carries two leather gauntlets, one on each hand, designed to be fit with the blades he carries around his waist through an innovative use of electro magnetism. They have slots woven into his three primary knuckles, and these act more as a guide then a fastener, keeping the blades pointed straight, while the magnetic field generated by Tomarul keeps them quite firmly on his body. The blades themselves are all made of good, well tempered steel, and are the only physical weapons he utilizes, and number about twenty, circled around his waist, with the longest being the size of a common short sword.

Skills/Abilities: Tomarul has a wide variety of abilities and skills, ranging from the martial to the homely.

Combat: Tomarul, over the course of 30 years, has perfected his own, unique fighting style, thanks to the rather militaristic wolvinier society. He is a master when equipped with even as much as a single claw on one hand, and is quite adept at fighting unarmed, given the opportunity. As he wears no armor, he is unencumbered in combat. This is gives him maximum maneuverability, and paired with his great speed and flexibility, he is adept at dodging attacks, his main defense in combat.

Magnetic Fields: Tomarul posses a very strong magnetic field. He can control the intensity, as well as the nature of the field, as in if it attracts metals, or repulses them. This is his main method of attaching his blades to him, as well as being able to launch them off of his hand with the same accuracy and power as that of a common crossbow. These fields also allow him to pull and push his enemies, granted they are wearing some type of metal on them. The type of armor they wear, as well as the relative size of the pieces, where they are located on the body, and the overall size and balance of the individual all influence how much he can pull or push them without hurting himself. This magnetic field stretches around him in a 6' radius, but he can extend this distance at the expense of his own well being, much in the same as he can increase the power of his shoves and pulls. If he were to try and move something beyond his strength, he would begin to bleed from the nose, and prolonged exertion of his power may even lead to other implications, such as trouble breathing, numbness in the limbs, and even internal breathing or aneurysms.

Woodsmen Training: Tomarul has had extensive training in camp skills, mainly the art of tracking and hunting, fire building, foraging, basic first aid, and basic herbology. He knows what may kill him if he were to eat it, and what would not.

Tomarul is a skilled acrobat and athlete, his smaller build being a natural advantage over the much larger members of his race, even if he lacks their strength and reach. Even without the larger stature that is normal to his race, he is stronger than the normal human, and has had years of combat experience. He works well alone, and his cunning and strategic mind has been well rewarded within the Wolvinier's militaristic society. He is one of the greatest Hunters of his time, quiet, quick, and deadly.

History: Tomarul was born to a wolvinier general and his human mother. The general had been having an affair for sometime, and had finally got careless, leading to the birth of perhaps the greatest of his children. Tomarul's mother perished during child birth, but the general took his son in, much to his wife's protest. Four years past, and Jelr, the general's wife, became more and more resentful of the proud son that was not her's. He was a fast lad, and smart, his mind processing information faster than that of his brothers. At four years old, his father was presented with a choice. Either his wife could kill the boy that she had tolerated for years, but would not accept were better than her own, or he could be sent away. Regretfully, the general chose to send him away, and gave the small four year old to the military, three years early than what was required of him.

And so began his illustrious career as a soldier and hunter. He was put in simple training with pups almost twice his age, and succeeded in some places, and failed at others. He was the best in his class when put in command, navigating his squad mates into devastating maneuvers, but showed little in the way of teamwork, usually staying back from the action himself. He showed great talent alone, skulking through the shadows, but showed very little skill with blade or axe, the favored weapons of Wolvinier soldiers. As such, he was quickly put into the Courier Corps, running messages throughout the mountains. The danger was little, and he quickly grew bored in the short time he served there.

It was around this time, about his ninth birthday, that his powers first manifested, and as he handed a general a report from a guard station, every piece of armor in the room rattled. The general made note of this, and Tomarul was taken from the Courier branch, and placed within the camp of magically gifted Wolvinier. He was given training focused personally on his own talents and skills, as well as to test and expand upon his own unique abilities. After five years, on his fourteenth birthday, he was deemed worthy of action, and was hand picked to be an elite Huntsman, one of the greatest honors for a Wolvinier.

The Huntsmen, better known simply as Hunters, are a select group within Wolvinier culture. They answer directly to the Council of Generals, and are given total immunity to the law. They are allowed to bend societies laws, as long as they accomplish their goal, which is usually the hunting of deserters, or escaped demons from the Great Rift. They are honored throughout the society, and known by name and face to all Wolvinier. They are living legends in their culture, and are known beyond their kin as dangerous enemies indeed.

Tomarul went on to hunt many; deserters, demons, and even political targets that opposed the Wolvinier. He was one of the best, and after serving his fifteen years of mandatory service, was honorably discharged with everyone of his honors and awards in tact. He now travels, wanting to see more of the world, and visits what few friends he had made in his time in the military. He heard of the tournament through the grapevine, word from mouth, and has come to participate because he needs new challenges, and merely wishes to prove, once and for all, that he is the best of the best.

< Message edited by Riprose123 -- 8/12/2015 21:44:08 >
DF MQ  Post #: 86
8/12/2015 4:39:58   
Daimyo Daimyo

I don't think I can participate anymore. Sorry for the short notice.
MQ  Post #: 87
8/12/2015 8:15:21   
nield
Creative!

Sorry to see you bow out, Daimyo. Maybe next year, eh?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 88
8/12/2015 17:21:44   
Retro The Watcher

I'm so excited for this championship; can't wait to see how it pans out!!!

Post #: 89
8/12/2015 17:57:20   
Rayen
Constructively Discussional!

Name: Shud Stoneskin
Race: Human

Appearance:
Standing at just over 6’9’’, Shud may well be the tallest man most people will ever see and fear. If not the tallest, he will undoubtedly be the most physically imposing. A lifetime of wielding a sledgehammer the height of an average-sized man has imbued upon Shud, almost to the extent of disfigurement, a profusion of muscles dominating his upper body, arms and neck. In order to support the massive weight above his waist, Shud’s legs are impressively thick and muscled; not built unlike those of a weightlifter’s.
The matter of Shud’s face is up for debate. On one hand, his plain, dark brown eyes overhung by a thick brow, his small ears, small, flat nose and over-muscled neck would undoubtedly have difficulty wooing any woman. On the other hand, his neat, closely cropped brown hair and dazzling smile made up of utterly perfect teeth almost outshine his negative features. Although Shud could never be considered a handsome man, his face would by no means inspire the fear it’s famous for were it not for the wicked glint in his cunning eyes and his self-assured, ever-present sneer.

To summarise, Shud could be given the description of the human version of an earth elemental possessed of a terrifyingly beautiful smile that will haunt your nightmares for years to come.

Personality:
Quite simply, when it comes to emotion, Shud has a heart of stone. People have long wondered whether he is capable of hearing, though his disproportionately small ears, the screams of the hapless wanderers or foolish bandits who enter his family’s quarry, seeking shelter from the wind or riches to plunder. Shud enjoys inspiring fear in all those around him, with the exceptions of the members of his family - his two brothers, sister and parents. His family respect Shud’s power and the fear he inspires, while also being in the privileged position to laugh at him about his stupid-sounding name and compete against him each day in the quarry. Shud’s life revolves around his family and is fiercely protective of them. To others, he may be cruel and selfish, with a twisted sense of justice, but he is motivated only by the desire to bring the world to those he cares about - at everyone else’s expense.

History/Motivation:
Shud's enormity can be attributed to the selective survival of the physically large and strong within a long line of quarriers. For thousands of years, Shud’s ancestors carved high-quality stone for construction, and occasional gemstones, from the walls of the now-enormous family quarry. A competitive nature has always run within the Stoneskin family, and they have always demanded such high physical exertion that any unfit to survive would often die before reaching adulthood. Only the physically strong were permitted to join the Stoneskin bloodline, further ensuring their physical strength.
Born 28 years ago, the fourth son of Jodar and Ilken Stoneskin, then-named Bahldor, took little time establishing that he was something special. By the age of six, he could easily be mistaken for a boy twice that age, and could do the work of any full-grown man. And he could never be kept clean, always playing in the rock offcuts in his spare time, such that he was constantly coated in dust and gravel. Then, reaching puberty just before his 13th birthday, Bahldor was permitted to take a test of his choice as a rite of passage to manhood. Eager to prove himself to his beloved family, Bahldor spent weeks tunnelling into the base of the highest quarry face. His family believed he intended to build a house or cave, but Bahldor had bigger ideas: he aimed to collapse an entire section of the massive rock wall, potentially saving his family years of work. He built a series of stone arches to support the massive weight of the cliff until the big reveal of his project, when he would attach rope to the keystones of each arch and remove them from a safe distance. The time came and his family gathered around, excitedly expecting to be allowed into the cave, which had been previously off-limits. Instead, Bahldor, his back to the quarry wall, grinned to his family and heaved on the ropes, pulling the keystones free. Suddenly, his family realised what he’d been up to, but instead of the delight he’d been expecting, his mother let out a horrified shriek. Bahldor spun around to see his baby sister, Nyz, crawling beneath the rock face, with enough rock to build a castle plummeting down on her. So Bahldor ran. He sprinted towards his little sister as fast as he could, monolithic chunks of rock falling all around him, and when he reached her, he grasped her in his arms, shielding her from the rocks that would ultimately end both their lives. His family watched on helplessly as dust rose and boulders piled up, obscuring the pair, their trained eyes picking up the bright flashes of sunlight reflecting off crystals tumbling down with the rest of the debris.
When all had settled, it immediately became clear that nobody could have survived the collapse. So the family headed back to collect the tools that would be required to excavate its youngest members. As they walked away, however, they heard a mighty rumble from behind. The family spun and scattered, fearing the collapse had incurred the wrath of Temblor or attracted a host of Elementals. To their surprise, they saw neither. Then they heard another rumble, sounding more like the footsteps of some monolithic creature. The gathered Stoneskins heard the footsteps speed up to a run, and readied themselves in anticipation of a fight, only to see a strangely-shaped figure surrounded by several enormous, multicoloured, floating gemstones emerge from behind a boulder and begin sprinting towards them. The quarry floor rippled outward from the figure as each foot hit the ground, and as it approached, all realised in disbelief that it was Bahldor, with a broken-looking Nyz nestled in his arms. The Stoneskins’ concentration soon fell to staying upright as each earth-ripple passed under their feet, some getting completely bowled over. Bahldor finally came to a stop before his stunned family, laying Nyz on the ground to display her horrendously broken legs. The gems circled around and above him in strange orbits, before becoming aqueous and encasing Bahldor’s torso like a colourful, translucent cuirass.
And so Bahldor was changed that day. In reference to his new shockwave-creating ability, the Stoneskin’s unanimously voted to rename him ‘Shudderer’, which then became shortened to Shud and the source of many jokes within the family, such as “Shud the door!” and “Shuddup!”. Shud attempted on numerous occasions to use a primitive form of geomancy to straighten the bones in his sister’s legs, but was never able to restore them to full use. He never forgave himself for allowing a member of his family come to harm because of his own carelessness, and vowed to protect and honour them to all of his strength from that day forth.
A bit over fourteen years later, Shud heard a tale about the Elemental Championships, and their unique reward of a single wish. With renewed hope, Shud began training immediately, and registered for the event with the singleminded conviction that he would win and fully heal his dear sister’s legs so that she can walk and run and play games and quarry rocks with the rest of her family, and be finally free of the pain he caused her. All who stand in his way will pay.

Equipment:
Shud is typically unarmed, but for a 5.5 foot walking staff which can be holstered across his back using leather straps. Circling his waist is adorned a magnificent belt, consisting of enormous gemstones of every imaginable colour, linked seamlessly, as though they were a ring and Shud the finger.

Abilities:
Hard as a rock - although typically awkward and ungainly being such a huge man, Shud is capable of putting on bursts of incredible strength, speed and agility (lasting up to 20 seconds). After this period of increased power, Shud becomes physically exhausted, leaving him breathless and lightheaded until given time to recover.
Bonemancy - to varying degrees of success, and with great concentration and pain, Shud can repair broken bones of himself and others, provided he is in physical contact with them. He can also cause bones to break more readily than they would otherwise, while punching or touching his foe.
Elemental Control - while not having a great grasp of magic, Shud can manipulate small amounts of dust and sand telepathically, to suspend particles within a 6 foot radius of himself. If provided with kinetic energy already, Shud can enhance the momentum of a rock or boulder, but cannot control its direction. However, this only applies to normal rocks, stone and sand. The gems typically encircling his waist are elementally pure and concentrated Earth. These gems, roughly the size of a human head when all are combined, can be controlled by Shud, changing form - from a dagger to a small shield, etc - and moved telepathically. Their most common usage is as a head for his staff, forming a sledgehammer or pick for quarrying. These gems can only be damaged or destroyed by another pure element. [Note: Using elemental magic to control any impure Earth is physically and mentally taxing disproportionately to the task performed, so is used as uncommonly as possible.]
Stone skin - Shud’s skin is thickly coated in rock dust and chips, forming a layer over his skin that acts as a weak metal armour, causing non-direct projectiles to glance away and reducing the physical harm caused by elemental magic and impacts from weapons slightly. If sufficient earth is available, Shud can concentrate to coat his body very thickly with earth, rendering him unable to move, but also unable to take damage from most means, both magical and physical, although numerous or excessively powerful blows can fracture or break the ‘shell’. As a matter of pride, Shud avoids using his stronger defensive ability unless to avoid a killing blow.
Shudderer - wherever he goes, uncontrollably, Shud causes the earth to ripple outward beneath his feet. The effect is strong to around 9 feet and extends more weakly to around 30 feet away from his body. Of course this effect only applies when the surface beneath his feet is of or similar to the stone-aspect of the Earth element - such as glass, concrete or steel.

< Message edited by Rayen -- 8/12/2015 19:43:19 >
AQ DF  Post #: 90
8/12/2015 19:55:16   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

First I would like to say that I am sorry you feel it necessary to withdraw, Daimyo. I hope all is well and I do appreciate you letting us all know about bowing out. Perhaps next year we shall see you again? I hope so.

I have been in touch with all of the current submissions which were receiving edits directly, so these were in fact allowed to favor a prompt start at 8 PM Server for these competitors. There is still time for new submissions, albeit a scant two hours, and anyone still in the re-submission queue has an additional 24 hour grace period on top of that. The Master List is about to be updated in accordance of all accepted bios for the 8 PM deadline. Pay attention here, as I will first edit in the announcement of which Arenas will be featured this year, followed by a separate edit as I roll out the initial roster for each arena.
AQ  Post #: 91
8/12/2015 20:12:07   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

As time is coming down to the wire, I figured I would follow your suggestion on transformation time, thanks!

Name: Lance, Hell’s Fang
Element: Fire
Race: Human

Appearance: Tall and athletic build, standing at six feet and four inches and weighing nearly two hundred and thirty pounds. Snow white hair kept slicked back and cut at the shoulder. He bears a long, black cloak that covers from his shoulders to his knees and has metal bracers woven into the forearms, chest and ribs.

Personality: Regal and stern, Lance is bearing or feigning composure at all times. With his dignity as close a companion to him as failure is a foe.

Equipment: His cloak is his largest bit of equipment. It’s thick, black cloth is woven with an enchanted sulfur that insulates him from extreme heat, as well as thick pads of leather lying under the metal plates to further insulate him from the elements to a reasonable degree. His belt holsters two flintlock pistols that are enchanted with hellfire and sulfur bullets and a single dagger.

Abilities:

Hellhound commune: Lance holds the ability to shapeshift into a hellhound. In this process Lance quickly develops a black coating of sulfur, after which, the coating ignites and burns away, leaving behind the skeleton form of a hellhound behind. While wounds won’t transfer between forms physically, he still bears the pain of one wound while in the form of the other, and the physical wound returns when he reverts to the form in which he was injured.

Hellhound description: Standing just smaller than a wolf and made completely of bone, They give off an incredible amount of heat at all times, causing the air around them to warp and ignite, giving off the illusion that they’re made of fire and bone. They burn hot enough to ignite material such as cloth or wood nearly instantaneously. Their typical assault, aside of making use of the heat they naturally give off, is making use of their teeth and claws, as their exposed bone is nearly as strong as iron, though just as brittle.

Hellfire shot: An explosive burst of hellfire from his flintlock pistols, The level of heat decreases exponentially with the distance it travels, giving it a lethal range of a meter and an effective range of three meters

Sulfur shot: He carries with him 15 pellets of shot enchanted with sulfur. The enchanted shot acts as a poison, causing loss of sense of smell, blurred vision and disorientation for an hour. This shot has an effective range of roughly five meters.

History: Lance, the son of a well off hound tamer, had been raised by his father to carry on the task of raising hunting dogs for the prince of his homeland. He grew up alongside hounds and other hunting dogs his entire life, and took to heart his father’s commands to remain of a dominant stature, else his dogs turn on him at the first sign of stumbling. By the age of 30 he was grown and running his late father’s business for the prince and had a family of his own. After raising a hound that turned on the prince and his stewards, the prince ordered Lance’s dogs be slaughtered and his family killed. Lance rebelled with what remaining dogs he had in the late hours of the knight and killed the prince. Finding his revenge far from fulfilling, he turned to the magical world in an attempt to summon back his wife to him, drawing to him the spirits of otherworldly hounds instead. Now turning to the Elemental Lord of Fire, Lance is hoping to find a way to commune with his family again.
DF  Post #: 92
8/12/2015 20:28:13   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Why thank you, Draketh. Add to the workload! I jest, but some RL tasks have me a touch behind. Arenas are about to go LIVE!

This year, you will be competing in either:
The fanciful destructive force that is Spike Arena!
The glorious debut of Twilight Arena!
Or, ironically enough, the teased yet charged domain of coquettish Fountain Arena!

Rosters will be posted momentarily.

E: I am not immune to typos. Though I tried to revise, I was kept busy with submissions, so you may notice a typo or awkward wording in the new arena descriptions. Pardon my dust, but that's related to having entirely new descriptions this year. Let me know if you spot any via PM, OOCs will have a few additional details once I have rosters chosen.

E: Spike Arena Roster is as follows, in the order of the random lot!

S.O.N.A.R. as played by Bastet!
John the Janitor as played by Ultrapowerpie!
Sheriff Dell Wolf as played by Dragonnightwolf!
Lucia Deis as played by Apocalypse!
Arvensis Elekar as played by Azan!
Tomarul Valpar as played by Riprose!
Raiu as played by Draycos777

E: Twilight Arena Roster is as follows, in the order of the random selection!

Uriel as played by Retro the Watcher!
Zane as played by Tdub!
Shud Stoneskin as played by Rayen!
Elysia, Storm-Bringer as played by Starflame13!
Moriar Thornewood as played by Starstuck!
Micha Wiedii as played by Kellehendros!
Garreth Blietstresky Balthasar as played by nield!

E: Aaaand last but by no means least, Fountain's Arena Roster is presented in no particular order!

Lance, Hell’s Fang as played by draketh99!
Yeni Ara as played by TormentedDragon!
Ravinia "Backstab" Rastmaata as played by salene!
Cole Govad as played by deathlord45!
Keihäs Törsätä as played by Dwelling Dragonlord!
Hideyoshi as played by Caststarter!
Ywris, The Angel of Silence as played by Draysin!

< Message edited by Ronin Of Dreams -- 8/12/2015 20:53:44 >
AQ  Post #: 93
8/12/2015 21:00:59   
Apocalypse

Ladies and gents....

LET"S GET READY TO RRRUUUUUUUMMMMBBBLLEEEEE!!!!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 94
8/12/2015 21:30:49   
Draysin

Lets see what ya got.
Post #: 95
8/12/2015 21:32:30   
Apocalypse

Two thumbs and a good attitude
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 96
8/12/2015 21:35:51   
salene

*Cracks knuckles* Let the games begin...
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 97
8/12/2015 21:40:03   
Draycos777

Raiu:"Just so you know, I don't plan on losing. If I go down, I'm making sure I take as many as you down with me as I can!"
AQ  Post #: 98
8/12/2015 22:23:26   
Ultrapowerpie

Mail Moogle of AdventureQuest

I'm going to clean up this place.

Let the puns begin :D
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 99
8/12/2015 22:33:42   
Azan

Looks nice.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =Elemental Championships 2015= OOC - Competitors Assemble
Page 4 of 9«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition