Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Is Artix Entertainment doing badly?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> Artix Entertainment General Discussion >> Is Artix Entertainment doing badly?
Page 1 of 812345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/1/2015 1:48:03   
megakyle777

Okay, so we recently found out over in the OS forums that Nulgath has been laid off. Aside from dashing ALL hopes of a Oversoul revival (which I'm mad as hell about) this makes me worry for AE, especially since it was said he was not the only layoff.

My point is when you lay off someone who recently made a Limited Quality Shop for AQW that sold out in less then a MINUITE... well things must be pretty bad.

Just how bad ARE things at AE right now?
DF  Post #: 1
8/1/2015 3:15:28   
Luster Bladewarrior

Given Nulgath's history in AE, are you sure this isn't more about (inter)personal issues such as with Lord Barrius and Zephyros in AQ nearly a year ago than financial troubles of Oversoul?
AQ  Post #: 2
8/1/2015 3:33:11   
poopbum

Correct me if I am wrong, but AE seems to been making decisions lately with staff members that seems neither practical nor profitable.(and in this case, probably unpopular as well given how Nulgath was quite liked by the community)

While Nulgath is paid staff unlike LB, I think he made more $$ for AE than what he was paid. What with what I heard of his stuff being sold out in seconds and yadda yadda. If anything he look like a profitable investment. Seems strange for him to be abruptly discarded.

Sure Nulgath got some "controversy" over his (sort of)PG13 stuff on his youtube, though that's quite a long time ago already(so to fire him now seems like a weird case of "lagging")
Plus it is not that bad/family unfriendly relatively, I have seen worst examples in some shows that aired on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and other similar channels. And many of those examples got away scot-free.

If Nulgath is not going to work on OS or AQW anymore, I wonder why he can't join AQ?

Well I only see it happening for AQW, OS and AQ so far, don't think the other games got such a situation. Even if there is I might have missed it since I mainly play AQ only.
Then again I have never been part of the staff and hence might not know the full gist of things. I apologize in advance if I ended up accidentally spreading misinformation. Just throwing out the impression I was getting.

< Message edited by poopbum -- 8/1/2015 3:42:49 >
AQ  Post #: 3
8/1/2015 6:56:13   
Brasca123

i think that it might have been more like, internal problems than anything else, probably nulgath was someone that was hard to work with and caused trouble to his teammates

that's what i think at least, it would not make much sense otherwise, considering there is some community love for him and his stuff do sell pretty quickly
AQ DF  Post #: 4
8/3/2015 13:10:28   
LyRein

Or maybe he was just fed up he wasn't getting paid as much as he should've been, maybe he was fed up about the fact he made AE lots of money through LQS but wasn't given a pay according to the amount.

Maybe him and a lot of others were just tired of being on a fixed salary and were laid off for that?
Post #: 5
8/3/2015 20:19:58   
Arachnid

The concern I have is the difference between being laid off and quitting. If he had a problem with the wage, he could have quit, and that wouldn't look nearly as strange as him being laid off with no comment.
It is fairly concerning.
AQW  Post #: 6
8/4/2015 2:09:33   
Brainux

I think adult AE players deserves an explanation as to why one of their well-known, talented artist got fired/laid-off or whatevet it really was. I think one of the many reasons that AQW is successful was because of Miltonius' contribution, anyone remember Tercessuinotlim era? I think that was the glory days of our very own Adventure Quest Worlds.

Let's just appreciate how Milton Pool enhanced AQW's artwork. Before Dage the Evil, Miltonius was the one who made awesome over-the-top items.

< Message edited by Brainux -- 8/4/2015 2:10:35 >
AQW  Post #: 7
8/4/2015 2:45:55   
ss2195
How We Roll Winner
Nov14

I'm still salty over the firing of Lord Barrius from AQ. Immediately after he was laid off, the lead coder of AQ, Westwind or Zephyros also left the team. The repercussions of those are still being felt since this is by far the slowest I've ever seen AQ in a long time. The first half of the year was nothing but fillers, and even now we havent had punctual releases in a while. The staff are trying their best, but I dont see the point trying to run a game if you are understaffed. AQ even despite being past its peak, still had a busting forum and plenty of activity, but now we're lucky if a thread reaches 10 pages.

I know it might a bit much, but I think the players deserve some transparency about the events behind the game. As of this moment, I don't really have all that much confidence in the game that would prompt me to support it in any capacity.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 8
8/4/2015 5:01:49   
*Nova*

Wait, Nulgath is gone? When the blaze did this happen?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
8/4/2015 10:13:28   
LyRein

This is exactly why WEEKLY RELEASES do not work.

They expect the teams to constantly release good, original and fun releases EVERY WEEK.
That's why there are so many fillers, there isn't enough TIME to write quality releases EVERY WEEK.

Just like there isn't enough TIME to draw art and code a game in the same speed.

Nulgath/Milly is just human, of course he has a hard time releasing things, he has his own game to develop (there's only like 2 people working on OS), then has to draw art for when another AE game needs it then has to inform his OS community there might not be an update soon cause he's constantly pulled back and forth.

To top it all off he has minimum free time, so when he does get free time he tries to animate something he loves.

He does this all IN A WEEK.
It's not easy, it's stressful and you will get hate for not updating your game and working for other ones.

AE needs to open their eyes and realize this.

< Message edited by LyRein -- 8/4/2015 10:18:35 >
Post #: 10
8/4/2015 17:14:34   
Arachnid

quote:

I'm still salty over the firing of Lord Barrius from AQ. Immediately after he was laid off, the lead coder of AQ, Westwind or Zephyros also left the team. The repercussions of those are still being felt since this is by far the slowest I've ever seen AQ in a long time. The first half of the year was nothing but fillers, and even now we havent had punctual releases in a while. The staff are trying their best, but I dont see the point trying to run a game if you are understaffed. AQ even despite being past its peak, still had a busting forum and plenty of activity, but now we're lucky if a thread reaches 10 pages.

I know it might a bit much, but I think the players deserve some transparency about the events behind the game. As of this moment, I don't really have all that much confidence in the game that would prompt me to support it in any capacity.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this completely. I realize that AE makes games for the younger audiences, but at this point it's like pokemon. Those that started playing it at the beginning are now adults, and the content and company don't seem to have changed with that fact.
We're adults now,we can handle the behind the scenes stuff that's going on. In fact, a lot of us would prefer to know instead of being left in the dark when things like this happen, because if not, then two things happen:
1. Makes us less interested in a possible job due to (what appears to be) random lay offs.
2. Makes us less likely to support the games due to what looks like a potentially slowly failing company.

Look, AE. I like your games, I like your stories, and I like you. But please don't leave us completely in the dark and act like we're still the thirteen year old kids that played your games. We can handle the darker and more mature stuff.
AQW  Post #: 11
8/4/2015 18:49:41   
ShadowMoon

quote:

Nulgath/Milly is just human, of course he has a hard time releasing things, he has had his own game to develop

there, fixed it. i wouldn't be surprised if they had to lay off nulgalth to get him to stop overworking. there are people who will work themselves to death if their not stopped.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
8/4/2015 19:17:02   
  Alina
Battleon Sorceress

Nulgath was cut back recently, and is now focusing on personal projects. Artix is working on a post with him that will go up on the OverSoul site with a message for its players; that will be posted once he gets back in town. The parting was friendly, and we will be promoting his projects because he is an incredibly talented animator. And if he does return to work with us in the future, it will still be under the name Nulgath.

To address the point about weekly releases and our web-games: A few years back, we had to make a hard decision to begin focusing on our Omni games - and start shifting resources to those projects. There are several very big upsides to that - two of which are: 1) those projects will not be limited to web browsers and 2) those projects will not be restricted to weekly releases, like our web games are. That has already allowed us to spend more time in the planning, development, and testing stages of our Omni projects - and that is an excellent thing!

Here's the WHY of that decision: Every company needs to evolve with the demands of its industry - and that is what we are in the middle of doing right now. If you do not change - if you do not GROW - then you stagnate and are surpassed. People are shifting to mobile devices - phones and tablets - and away from computers. That's not to say no-one is playing web-games, but to stay competitive, we need to reach those people on the devices they choose to play games on.

We are very much an indie company - the support our players give is what allows us to build our games, and to develop new games. So we need to go to where new players are (and where so many of you already are, too) and build games for those platforms.

Right now, we are focused on our new projects - on AQ3D (which just went into Alpha yesterday), and on the two other new projects we have coming this fall - BioBeasts and Undead Assault. All three of those are on schedule, and will be available for mobile devices.

Every company has to adapt to succeed. I believe we are ramping up for one of the most exciting periods in Artix Entertainment's history - and I look forward to seeing many of you with us as we build the next generation of AE's games!
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 13
8/4/2015 20:53:17   
poopbum

Hmm so did Nulgath get fired, ask to be fired or simply resigned?

Alina's post seems to say that Nulgath wanted to leave AE(hence "quit" instead of "getting sacked" seemed like a more appropriate term) for now to pursue his own interests.(though didn't touch much on it beyond that, I guess we all should just wait for that post Nully's working with Artix)

AQ  Post #: 14
8/4/2015 21:14:20   
Evangel

@poopbum: None of the above. Being laid off is not being fired/quitting. It is a "temporary suspension of employment". He might not work for AE right now, but that doesn't mean he was fired, quit, or isn't welcomed back into employment, as Alina stated.

People get laid off all the time. My father has been laid off for the past few months simply because all the projects at his job are finished and they need to wait until they get more projects and materials for said projects. There's not work to do because it's finished, so he and other workers are laid off until more work becomes available. It's as simple as that for some cases.

AQ DF AQW  Post #: 15
8/4/2015 22:18:57   
Mitsuo

I Really don't understand though. Their games are so understaffed laying off people at this point is just crazy. Especially really talented people. My guess is that they probably are really low funded at this point.
Post #: 16
8/4/2015 22:46:41   
Ninjaty

@Alina: I get that you guys need to focus on what platforms the players choose to entertain themselves with, but I believe that it is in your best interest to keep focus on all of them, not just certain ones. For instance, for all your projects, make sure there is a pure web version available (completely independant of any and all social media, unlike Battle Gems), in addition to the mobile and tablet versions. Battle Gems had no pure web version, so those who do not have the specific phones/tablets you decided to target and didn't use Facebook, were alienated by that game.

What I am saying is don't abandon older platforms just because there are new and exciting oppertunities. AQ: Dragons will be getting a web version, and AQ3D has it already, so these are good examples of how to drag in the newer players, without leaving the old ones behind.

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 8/4/2015 22:50:44 >
Post #: 17
8/5/2015 9:18:04   
poopbum

Looks like I misunderstood then. Maybe it's the planet I am from or whatever, but I find the term "lay off" rather misleading.

Basically Nulgath went on a "hiatus" from AE and that's all. Doesn't seem like a very big deal anymore IMO..... though I feel sad for OS.

Though AE still feels understaff so to layoff people now just seems strange to me. Then again Nulgath is paid and might have desired to take a break from AE and do his own stuff I suppose.....
AQ  Post #: 18
8/5/2015 22:59:53   
Arachnid

quote:

Nulgath was cut back recently, and is now focusing on personal projects. Artix is working on a post with him that will go up on the OverSoul site with a message for its players; that will be posted once he gets back in town. The parting was friendly, and we will be promoting his projects because he is an incredibly talented animator. And if he does return to work with us in the future, it will still be under the name Nulgath.

Well that makes me feel better. Good to see Nulgath doing his own thing, and having the AE team support him, even when he isn't working with you guys.
AQW  Post #: 19
8/6/2015 20:46:09   
deathshine

did she just give a hint that we might see a mmo port to mobile gaming? cuz battlegems and aq dragons isnt that great in my personal opinion. actually its more like i dont like those type of games. i prefer my rpgs. so ill wait here patiently for a port.
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 20
8/7/2015 1:23:13   
  afterlifex
Mod-X

^ AQ3D is already being set up as cross platform if that is what you mean.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
8/15/2015 16:06:59   
Sambud

Am I the only one who'd be cool with them shutting down oversoul, and giving us compensation in their other games? (I'm a founder, and have spent well over 50$ on the game)
DF AQW  Post #: 22
8/15/2015 16:52:22   
the warden

above: not remotely ok with that.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 23
8/15/2015 17:23:00   
dragon_monster

quote:

Here's the WHY of that decision: Every company needs to evolve with the demands of its industry - and that is what we are in the middle of doing right now. If you do not change - if you do not GROW - then you stagnate and are surpassed. People are shifting to mobile devices - phones and tablets - and away from computers. That's not to say no-one is playing web-games, but to stay competitive, we need to reach those people on the devices they choose to play games on.

I will answer that statement with this are any of those games combined and there are a number of them more popular them AQW? Are any more popular then DF or AQ? the mobile device games, phones and tablets better said included and I am sorry to say so do not nearly as well as the web-games.
I would say a good business decision if it was. Maybe AQ3D will blow my mind and everything I said here was wrong but we wait and see.

< Message edited by dragon_monster -- 8/15/2015 17:33:39 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
8/15/2015 19:30:00   
SnakeYear

AQW is the post popular game. On any given day you can see more than 6,000 people on. Whereas in DF and AQ, you can probably only see 350-500.
AQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> Artix Entertainment General Discussion >> Is Artix Entertainment doing badly?
Page 1 of 812345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition