Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: ~*Getting To Know You*~

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing >> RE: ~*Getting To Know You*~
Page 9 of 11«<7891011>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/16/2015 18:28:58   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

The rain continued to come down, the ground steamed and anything organic that it touched seemed to smoldering slightly but at least with things such as leather and wood the damage was minimal, mild scorch marks and a bit of burning away but nothing that would break through the the roofs or building walls. Glass and steel seemed to be unaffected thankfully but then flesh was another story and Sanas hand was proof of such. Her skin looked as if she had just pulled it out of a boiling pot of oil ready to fry up tonight's slaughtered chicken.

Biting her bottom lip hard a small trickle of blood rolled down her chin and her arm shook from the pain radiating up from her hand. She missed the toss and the medicine that was given to her hit her arm and rolled across the tavern floor. Taking deep breaths she knelt down and picked it up with her good hand, nodding slightly towards Nilburke.

"Thank you," she said in a shaky voice as she stepped slowly over towards the bar, slamming her hand into a pitcher of water first and letting out a relieved sigh. It helped getting the tainted rain to dilute in the water swirling around her fingers. Beads of sweat formed along her upper lip as she pulled her hand back and examined the damage. It still hurt tremendously but it was a far cry from the initial burn.

"Ugh," she hissed under her breath as she collapsed into a chair and set the medication on the table before her. Her hand was blistered, some skin was eaten away, blood dripped and mixed with the water rolling down from the wounds and several nails were barely holding on.

"It's made of wood," the barrel answered towards Keystone as he brought over some clean rags to Sana. "Here, wrap it up in, did you want bacon?" he asked referring yo what Keystone had suggested.

"No, just hand me my pack," she said as she opened the container she had been given and slathered on the medication. It stung a bit but that quickly fell away to a cool relief. The barkeep ran over and grabbed the pack before rushing back over towards Sana. Sana took it and pulled out a small blue vial that looked like that one she had given Keystone earlier. Pulling the cork out with her teeth and spitting it across the room before downing its contents.

"We never had rain like this before," the barkeep said as he helped Sana wrap her hand up, getting several growls from the archer in the process as she had to show him how to wrap it so she could still use her fingers when she needed to knock an arrow into place. She doubted this would be the last thing she would have to face before she got bibbed out to wherever the fog decided to take her next.

"I've never seen anything like this either," Sana admitted. This was new and not of her home realm, rain there was crisp and clean unless tainted by magic but magic rain left a different feeling to the skin. She had felt that before. This was something very different. It wasn't natural nor magical, at lesst not from what she could tell.

"Anyone have any ideas? Oh and toss that pitcher before anyone tries to drink it," she said quickly, remembering the water she had sunk her hand into.
Post #: 201
12/16/2015 22:01:52   
Sigil

Satisfied that the living were inside and the dead were dead, Keystone turned his attention back to the interior of the alehouse. He shot the barkeep a glance at the mention of Bacon, mouthing the word "...later...", and sat back down at the table, plate positioned solidly at his twelve.

The ongoing act of environmental aggression troubled him greatly. Unless it could be cooked or met in combat, Keystone was out of his element. Now, if the people assembled required heavy lifting in some form or fashion, he was their man. Otherwise, his contributions to the current emergency were of little bearing.

Keystone sawed another bite of Hellsteak away from his cut, shoving it into his face-hole with visible irritation. He looked around the room, taking note of the actions (or inactions) of his companions, and looked to the planar natives with a question forming on his lips.

"Well, sod me sideways... This is Hell, right? I mean to say, I've opened m'eyes this morning to a place what punishes them that stomps on baby bunnies and practices an excess of cobyankery, right? If not one of The Hells, proper, can you see it from the rooftop?"

He chewed thoughtfully, sarcasm playing on his features as he continued, "Now, unless one of you can figure out a way for me to punch the rain in a manner useful to us not dying an 'orrible, screaming snuffing of it, I'm going to hang about and finish my meal. I suggest the lot of you eat up, too, 'less you've got something more productive in mind. Tonight's going to sod it. May as well start it off with a full belly."

Thinking upon the last few years of his life, this was not the worst situation he'd ever been in. Now, this was a rather interesting collection of less-than-ideal events, seemingly birthed in the imaginations of dead crazy people and/or a demonic rectal worm, all shoved at him in the space of a few hours. It was a little unnerving, but it was a change from the usual pace of "Keystone vs. The Army of Darkness" in which he seemed to constantly find himself.

At present, Keystone had allies nearby. If not all of them friendly, everyone could handle themselves, and everyone understood the simple fact that they faced a common dilemma. At present, they had shelter. They had food. They had lots and lots of alcohol, and they had time to suss out their next move.

At the very least, he reasoned, he wasn't (yet again) surrounded by animated corpses, a city's depth of which he had to punch his way out. He'd done that. With this in mind, he shrugged and splatted another helping of sugar yams on his plate.

"Before it gets cold, Miss Sana. Got your steak right here."
AQW  Post #: 202
12/20/2015 22:50:15   
Apocalypse

First trial was a failure as expected; with all the occurring oddities, of course it would. Still, every breakthrough discovery had to start somewhere, and this particular situation was none-too-overbearing. Nilburke gave the vial another swirl to shift its contents back to their original state. The swirling motion the goblin used in most of his alchemy was not scientific in the slightest. It was quite superfluous, an unnecessary crutch the green mage relied upon much like an addict did upon their vice or a gambler to a declared token of luck. Such ticks were usually beat out of students, but this particular apprentice had been a bit stubborn in this regard, much to his professors' chagrin.

Nilburke had begun to make his way back to the table with his companions but changed his trajectory after hearing Wheat's comment about the pitcher. "On it," the goblin said as he grabbed the vessel and tossed it out into the night to join its glass companions. Or rather it would have, but the pitcher had been a little heavier and the window a bit farther than anticipated. Instead of sailing out the window with all the majesty a deliver of drink possessed, it crashed against the the sill like a drunken lovebird. To his credit, some of the fragments did manage to pass over it and into the deadrain beyond. The vast majority, however, shattered into pieces and scattered along the floor under the window. A large blotch of discolored wood stood as testament to where the union of regular drinking water and deadrain had made impact. "Ah, motherless bugger," the goblin said with a certain lack of remorse. "Pitcher's no longer a problem." Perhaps he would wind up owing the barkeep a second gem by the night's end.

Feet padded against the floor as the goblin made his way back to his dinner. "Hear me out," he said before popping the next piece of steak into his mouth. "Probably sound like a preaching parrot but I still believe our best bet is Hrah Thorn." The words were a bit garbled by the hunk of meat in his mouth. He swallowed before continuing. "Bunch of intellectual minds who would pander to us to study this phenom instead of vice versa." Another piece of meat, another swirl of the vial. "Would also see if all these strange occurrences are anchored to this place or one of you realm-jumpers. Or unrelated. But that would require us to hunker down and weather the rain out." He paused to snicker to himself. "Weather. Rain. Unintentional, alchemist's honor." The goblins have the pseudo-salute one more time to drive the point home. "Just my opinion - still open to suggestions." When Nilburke gestured with his hand, he knocked the back of his glass with his fresh burn. His immediate action to the wave of pain that followed was to tuck his hand against his chest, which brought the unfortunate consequence of the alchemist losing balance. A tip too far in one direction, and gravity pulled the hidie from his stool and united him with the floor.

"Oh, sod it all."
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 203
12/21/2015 18:00:41   
Sigil

Still sitting with his meal, Keystone rested the undamaged side of his face into his left hand. Another footnote in the Circus of Calamity down, several more to go. He shoveled a decent spoonful of yams into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully.

He noticed the uncharacteristic lack of manual dexterity displayed by his diminutive companion; noticed but refrained from comment or action. Instead, as Nilburke lay on the floor, victim to his own exaggerated reaction, Keystone addressed him as if he were still upright and in front of his plate.

"Heard on "Sod it"... Right then, I've an idea. If this rain isn't done by the time we're finished eating, I say we find out if it's local or goes out a ways, eh?"

Keystone began sawing another hunk of meat away, continuing, "One of us might could hold a table above us, wrap something around our boots. Take a little walk n' see how far this goes. Y'know, before it burns through and turns us to Buggerall Stew."

He popped the rather large morsel of Hellsteak into his mouth, glancing around for feedback about his potentially suicidal plan. "To the edge of this little hamlet, or until the rain cuts. What d'you lot think?"

< Message edited by Sigil -- 12/21/2015 18:02:02 >
AQW  Post #: 204
12/29/2015 9:36:01   
Draycos777

"If you do, be sure to have some applesauce on hand to soothe that upset stomache I'll give ya,"

Arche was about to reply to the goblin when Rajiri spoke up in dragontongue.

"Calm, Arche. Now is not the time. As much as I hate everyone else in here, something dangerous could be happening."

However, this sentence did the exact opposite of it's intended purpose.

"What? Me calm? Should you really be the one saying that!?"

Refolding her wings and gritting her teeth, Arche went back to eating the to plates before her. Focusing on consuming her food and ignoring the conversions around her, Arche quickly finished half of her first plate. If her parents were there, she would have gotten in trouble with her mother for a general lack of table manners, while her father would have laughed trying to see would many plates she could finish. The end result would be them both getting a scolding.

Some other words spoken between the big man and the goblin, though, Arche's ears did prick around the end of the goblin's words.

"Probably sound like a preaching parrot but I still believe our best bet is Hrah Thorn. Bunch of intellectual minds who would pander to us to study this phenom instead of vice versa."

At this point, Arche had turned her head to face the goblin so that she could get a better angle to listen in. It was then that she saw events unfold that would lead to the one thing she was looking to avoid in her annoyance; her involvement in the tavern group.

As the goblin climbed back onto his stool, his wounded hand brushed against his glass. He instantly retracted his hand, and in the process, threw himself off balance. The result? The goblin became much closer to the earth, though, in a much more painful way than most that lay on the ground.

"Oh, sod it all."

Arche dropped her head and quickly brought the side of a closed fist to her mouth. Squeaking could be heard as Arche tried her best to suppress her laughter, however, the tormenting image of the goblin's face seconds before he fell kept replaying over again in Arche's mind until she could no longer hold it back.

Her wings stretched out, sending the stool next to her flying across the tavern floor, and her tail arched.

"Kkkehe. KEHAHAHA!" Arche's body shook with each laugh, as she held her stomach. "KAHAHAHA, T-that one w-was funny!"

After she had calmed down and stopped shaking, Arche addressed the group.

"I did some testing of my own, and I'm fairly certain that whatever this rain is, it's definitely not natural. At least not in any place on Lore I've been to. And it's for sure not an Acid Dragon attack, or me and Rajiri would have sensed something."

Grabbing her vest off the ground with her tail, Arche showed it to the rest of the group.

"Against flesh, this rain would take no time at all to turn you into a puddle, as show by our two victims and the ones left outside, however, against my vest, which is also from an organic source, it would take at least thirty minutes or more to eat through it. Seems to me that this rain was made to kill something... or someone."

Arche looked at the goblin, who currently resided on the floor.

"I don't know what Hrah Thorn is, since I don't tend to travel to goblin lands, but if it has some clues as'ta what da'ell going on, then you've got my vote." Arche pointed at Keystone with her thumb; "Heck, I'm so sick of this place already, I'm almost inclined to take up his offer."

Looking at Keystone, Arche gave a suggestion.

"Why not tie two tables together? One on top of the other. Extra time to get out of here then. However, I thing the biggest question is: Did one of you realm-hoppers piss something off in your world and now it's following you?"
AQ  Post #: 205
12/30/2015 9:25:17   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

Sana sighed deeply as she leaned back in her chair, the wood creaking slightly as she rocked it back and forth on its back legs. This latest jump was turning out to be more of a problem than the previous ones. At least with them she had been in the same realm of knowledge, always facing things that were, perhaps not common, but at least know by any adventurer worth their salt. This rain was unlike anything she had ever come across and the pain sensation was far from any acid or fire burn she had received in the past.

Running her fingers along the side of her neck, she felt the scarring that remained from her last run in with something that wished to melt flesh from bone. She recalled the pain and smell of her own burning skin. Thinking back it was nothing compared to a quick rain to her hand. Looking down at the wrapping she shook her head. She was tired and wanted to go home. Well, at least home to her own realm, a gypsy didn't exactly have a place of residence. Maybe, if she ever did make it back, it was time to find such a place.

Looking over towards Keystone, Sana forced a smile and nodded. "Yeah, thanks," was all she was able to say. Picking up her fork, she not-so-gracefully stabbed the meat and picked it up in one large piece; using a knife and fork wasn't exactly going to be easy with the bandage and she thought it best to save the damaged hand a such as possible, she would need it to be able to use her bow. Taking a bite, she forced a hard swallow. It tasted fine but she wasn't exactly feeling like savoring a meal right then.

Hearing the shattering of glass she could only smirk at the scene. It wasn't exactly how she thought it would be disposed of but it did the job well enough. The bar tender facepalmed as he looked at the group and then at his tavern. He wasn't sure at that point if he should thank them for taking out the beast or try to drive them out into the dangerous rain in hopes of if they melted out there it would solve his current problem; the seemingly quick destruction of his livelihood.

"Where this comes from or what it is... well that is beyond me. Nothing of the realms I've hopped through recently thanks to that blasted fog," Sana huffed as she wiped her mouth. "I say wait it out, least until morning," she added as she pointed out the window. The light was growing low and the rain was slowing, if only by a little.

"I think we all could use some sleep and from the looks of it, doesn't seem like that rain is going to get through the roof anytime soon."

Glancing towards Arche, Sana shrugged. "Anything I have pissed off I made sure was dead," she quipped before looking at the others. "Any of y'all tick off a God or something to cause it to do this?"
Post #: 206
12/31/2015 22:35:13   
Apocalypse

Alcohol and falling should not mix. They did mix - and quite often, too - but it would be better if they did not. The room spun around as Nilburke stared up at the ceiling, the vial in his outstretched hand being the focal point of his vision. His head still reeled from his knock against the hard floor, but his study of the deadrain was still well underway. As his companions talked (and laughed at his little mishap), the goblin managed to eliminate common Lorian acids after a few disqualifications of the potents within the malevolent rainwater. The surprising factor was not the discovery itself (as Nilburke had already suspected it was otherworldly, but backing his suspicions with evidence was a necessity), but rather that his tests were running faster after the fall than before while upright. By all logic, his experimentation should have slowed down if not brought to a complete halt. So what was the cause?

The answer: falling. Or rather, the after-effects of falling. The spinning of the room now took the place of the swirling of the vial, giving his runs smooth transitions instead of abrupt beginnings and ends. This would need to be replicated, of course, but this appeared to be the most plausible answer. The little alchemist rested his legs on the stool's side so that they were perpendicular to the floor. If he would keep this position, he might as well be comfortable.

"Luckily for you, Ambassador," began Nilburke without taking his eyes off the vial above him, "Hrah Thorn isn't in goblin territory. Most of those enrolled are softies with a splattering of hidies, scalies, and few others odd-of-body but brilliant of mind." He opened and closed his free hand, the burn sending a fresh batch of pain down his arm. A nice stimulant did wonders for keeping the brain sharp. For once, he kept his mouth closed as they discussed the idea of exploring the deadrain's limit. His piece was already said, and he was not one to stand in the way if someone wanted to see something done, foolish or not.

The goblin gave a snort as the talk turned to the possibility of this abnormality being a method of arcane assassination. "A bit too grandiose of a way to put an end to me," Nilburke said when it was his turn. "Most would probably just stuff me in a bag and toss me in a river. Couple have already done so, actually."

A rumbling made its way through his stomach, releasing gas up his throat and into his mouth to remind him of what his stomach's contents tasted like. In a rather disturbing fashion, this only reminded the goblin that he was still quite hungry. "Anyone care to bring my plate down?" he said to no one in particular. "There's a nice gemstone in it for you if you do."

< Message edited by Apocalypse -- 12/31/2015 22:37:31 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 207
1/1/2016 1:04:23   
Sigil

Keystone had spent the last few moments listening to conjecture and suggestions from his companions. Lots of maybes. Lots of ifs. One rarity, though: this had been the first time that the burly pugilist had seen a dragonkin laugh. It caused him to pause in his food-shoveling, fork halfway to his face, mouth agape in a manner unbecoming to politer society. He regarded the sight, mentally filing it away into a dark box that likely wouldn't reopen until the most inopportune of times; something involving a pre-coital psych up, most likely.

"That was right attractive, y'ladyship. 'Bout made me splat my undergarments."

His laden fork found its way to its preset destination, dropped off the precious cargo of medium-rare Infernal, and returned to the next such delivery on the plate. Through the bite, Keystone regarded the words following the laughter with more seriousness. "Two tables, yeah. I'd rather use nails, if'n I have my druthers on it. Never know how the rain'll affect the rope."

"Now, I'll grant you," he continued, "I ain't a killer, though I've killed (if you take my meaning). Lots of people might take offense to my presence in their favorite drinking hole, but I can't think of a living soul that'd want me to die melting and screaming."

Then it struck him: Not a living soul, no. But he hadn't exactly been in conflict with very many living opponents lately. Some of them had powers beyond his level of comprehension. "Got a awful feeling 'ere..." he mumbled absently.

"I might be cursed." began Keystone thoughtfully, "Jumping realms ain't exactly my forte, but I done it enough to see a pattern. Every time it goes back to the Undead. Every bloody time. I can't escape it. Either something good 'n' shiny's putting me where I need to be, or something bloody awful's got it out for me. If it's something holy, you'd think they'd send a white-hat or a sodding Paladin, but..."

Keystone paused for a moment, remembering the last time this occurred. The Powers That Be did send a Paladin, right alongside him. He was killed. "Stupid bastard... You're supposed to fight smart, not fair. Now I've got to keep it going m'self."

He was unaware he'd said anything out loud. While lost in memory of his last group, Keystone's hands involuntarily tightened into fists, his face set at a simmering, distant rage. He and the Knight were the last two left of their group. While not the fastest of friends, they admired and respected one another, relying upon each other for survival against the constant onslaught of an army of the dead. Months passed like this, until his Code of Honor got Good Sir Knight killed. Keystone honestly believed that the greater good would have been served better had they stuck together and stayed alive. No use trying to explain it to a corpse; all that was left was to decapitate his body and destroy his hands. He was going to stay dead, at least. Not like the Wizard. But that was a bit of psychological trauma best left for another time.

Keystone forced his mind along a different direction. He retrieved Nilburke's plate from the table, refilled his side items of sugar yams and oat crepes, and placed it gingerly next to the horizontal alchemist on the floor. "I can always do with a precious gem, long as you're offering. Expenses, and whatnot."

After a sharp intake of breath, Keystone glanced at everyone assembled and addressed no one in particular, "Wait til the morn, eh? Yeah, why not. When it comes, I'll be the one carrying the table above my head, if the situation warrants. But I'm not about to do anything more until I know we're secure in here from whatever might be outside."

"And I've got another troubling question:" he continued, seemingly as an afterthought, "What does this rain do to bone? Bad feeling, can't shake it."
AQW  Post #: 208
1/1/2016 18:23:28   
Bastet

Rajiri listened to various conversations unfold around her, waiting until the opportune moment before voicing her opinion to those who had offered her a dinner and a seat by their side. Then again, the group included a half naked man and a runt of a goblin, but conversation for the sake of it wasn't that bad. Perhaps, she could've repaid their generosity by attempting to bash some sense into their heads now that she wasn't worried about the rain pouring into the tavern and burning the flesh off her bones.

The red dragon wondered just what was wrong with the tavern, the surrounding countryside and the folk in it to cause so many mishaps and strange encounters to occur. First, she met one of her kin so many years after the last one she'd seen, then some kind of wight that could control lightning but not his attitude in a proper conversation with someone superior to him, and all that led her to a tavern that had the general order and appearance of a battlefield that had just been abandoned. Perhaps it wouldn't have been that bad of an idea to make an exit, with so many possible dangers. Putting her knife down and standing up from her seat, Rajiri spoke while moving her plate and herself back to where Arche was sitting. Being around the goblin and the others was nice and all, especially with the former making a fool of himself, but it was better to spend time closer to her kin.

“I can't see a reason to leave the safety of the tavern to expose myself to the outside danger if it can't penetrate into this building. I don't know if any of us are cursed or not, but I have no more reasons than usual to think that some god has a grudge against me, and I'm not about to sacrifice my hide for the sake of leaving this place. At least, not as long as going outside means my likely death, tables or not.”

It really did feel somewhat weird. She had more conversations and interactions with strangers in the past few hours than she had in weeks, mainly thanks to her usual parlay with worldly merchants limiting themselves to threats and imposed tributes. The atmosphere in the tavern definitely wasn't the best, but she didn't feel entirely out of place, and at least she had the company of her kin and a free dinner to motivate her stay. That, and the risk of being flayed alive by leaving the building.

“..and as far as I'm concerned, there aren't any unknown dragons around these parts, meaning that I haven't got the slightest idea about what could be causing all these hazards. From what I've seen, the tavern wasn't in good condition when I joined, either, so I'm guessing I'm not the culprit.”
Post #: 209
1/3/2016 15:06:48   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

"I am a killer," Sana admitted rather bluntly when Keystone said that he had killed but did not look at himself as a killer. The archer remembered that day when she had crossed the line between killing during battle, to save ones self or another and into the realm of cold blooded murder. It was so long ago and she had not since but ever since that day she thought of herself as a killer; she knew she had it in there and it could be unleashed under the right circumstances. It was not something she was proud of and it had haunted her every day since but still looking back on that moment she would not change her actions. The man would have died and might have taken more with him before she did but still she knew she had slaughtered him for the wrong reasons.

"I was with a group in a small village back in my home realm. Several in our party I had been with for sometime, two of them had saved my life," she began. She did not know why she was telling these strangers. Perhaps she just wanted to get it off her chest, perhaps she was just rambling for no reason at all. It didn't truly matter. She had started and it was doubtful that she would stop until her story came to a close.

"Slavers came into the small town, one grabbing me," she recalled. "I found the entire situation humorous at first. He was ill trained, under armored and barely could keep his sword in his fingers. All that he had going for him was intimidation and even that was lacking towards anyone that had ever stepped foot into the real world. He didn't know what hit him, but suddenly something I was close to came to my aide; unnecessarily I might add but that was how it began....

Battle ensued and more joined in the fray. That was until two were left. One was already near death, the other had been captured for information. I got it, by promising I would release him. Then came the moment," Sana said as she leaned her head back and looked up at the rafters above her. She remembered the feeling in her chest, this burning hatred that was building. It still was so clear in her memory.

"A few more words were spoken and I agreed that I had indeed told him I would set him free and I did but not in the way he or I had intended. Without a second thought I," she said as she reached back and pulled a silver arrow from her quiver and drove it into the table before her, "thrust it right through his eye and into his brain until it would go not further. I ripped it out, the eye still clinging to the shaft as his body dropped to the ground lifeless. I could only smirk in that moment and told him...You are free now." she said with a deep sigh as she yanked the arrow out of the table and dropped it back into her quiver.

"That moment I became a killer," she added before shaking her head slightly and rising from her spot. "Thing is, even if I could go back, I wouldn't change what I did. He deserved to die, just not like that," she shrugged as she gathered her things.

"I am going to rest for the night, if I see you come morning we can decide if and what we need to do. For now I have had a bit too much excitement for one day," she said as she grabbed a key from behind the tavern owner without another word, checking the leather tag which hung from it and making her way down the hall at the other side of the tavern to her room; the door closing heavy behind her. She knew others had spoken, that there were things she needed to perhaps address but Keystones words had caused her mind to wander; something that did not usually happen but ever since arriving in this odd land it had. Was it a side effect of the realm? Or was something greater going on? She was unsure but for now she would let her dreams ask those questions, she was in no mood to ask them herself.
Post #: 210
1/4/2016 22:57:05   
Apocalypse

The mood swayed once again as the talk turned to sins of the past and the difference in being someone who killed and someone who was a killer. Nilburke remained silent from the floor, allowing his alchemy to work as his thoughts ran a separate road. Was he a killer? No, no he had not premeditated and taken a sentient life as outlined by the Ethics for the Study of Magic. Had he killed? Not sure...there were a couple of occasions - one in particular - where it was possible one of his vials had been the end of someone else's life, but he had not stuck around to see it through.

Heh, killing. Any alchemist who did so was a hypocrite at their core. No matter which one of the many branches one followed these days, the original purpose and journey hung over their heads: to achieve immortality and put a stopper on death itself. Most had given up on the precursing dream but still practiced the art to enhance or prolong life in some fashion. Even true alchemy with its singular purpose of proving alchemy, well, true could be used to save that precious and fragile commodity that was life. His thoughts wandered off before settling on to that of a beautiful face of wood, not sculpted but grown, with its mess of maple leaves for hair dangling all over the place and a bird's nest for a crown. She smiled, and it was if the sun was beaming in the woods.

The reappearance of his plate wiped away the image, and none-too-soon. Nilburke was always moving forward, but sometimes the drink would take him back. Not often, but still too often. He reached into his vest and withdrew a coupe of gems the size of his thumbnail. With a flick, the goblin launched the red one to the giant of the man who had bestowed his food back upon him. "As per our agreement, I look forward to our business in the future." The yellow one had a similar fate, but its destination was the bar counter. At least, Nilburke thought its destination was the bar counter. It was a little difficult to tell from the floor with the room spinning. "And that is for," he called out to the barkeep as he gestured with his free hand to the sorry state of the tavern, "all of that, I guess". He dropped his hand and stuffed another piece of meat into his mouth. It was good, though Nilburke said a silent prayer to no god in particular that it would stay down. Spinning rooms did not bode well for full stomachs.

"Sleep well, Wheat," the goblin said as the archer made to leave the company. "Or sleep, at least." The alchemist yawned and made no effort to cover his mouth. "I'm staying here for more studying. Probably for a couple hours at least. May even pass out right here." With total lack of manners, he crammed his face full of yams and managed to irk one last sentence.

"An if I foo, dom tuff mah stuff."
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 211
1/5/2016 23:16:40   
Sigil

Rain seemed to make some people depressed. If not depressed, persay, then quiet and introspective. It didn't do much for the group inside, certainly, listening to the conversation in the common room. It was understandable that this particular rainstorm was especially effective at darkening morale, seeing as it has the unique (gods, he hoped it was unique) quality of dissolving living flesh into so many amorphous masses of steaming goo.

The concept of waiting until morning did seem like good sense. The more Keystone thought about it, there was little point of inspecting the damage while the damage was ongoing. There were no screams of the hurt or dying, the buildings remained intact. By dawn, then.

This was not to say that the errant brawler was ready to turn in yet, himself. The kitchen laborers were still under his employ, murder-rain or no. One could still hear noises associated with the fabrication of meat coming from behind the free-swinging interior door; smell the aromatic char and smoke thereof. At least Keystone hoped it was rendering meat, banishing the fleeting thought that the yummy, mouth watering aroma was really deepfried townfolk wafting in on the breeze.

Keystone shook his head, nodded his thanks to Nilburke (who he simply left prone, acquiescing to his wishes to remain on the floor) for the gem, and headed back to the kitchen to survey the progress of his order. He stayed but for a moment, satisfied that the situation was handled with adequately and that he'd be ready to move with it come morning.

Taking Sana's lead, Keystone retrieved a key from behind the tavern's proprietor. He felt a bit sorry for the guy; his life's work had come under attack and his town doused with acid, not to mention being overrun with some of the strangest people imaginable, himself included.

"I'll settle up come morning, Squire." he intoned as politely as he could, considering the fact that, well, he was doing the speaking. Turning his attention to the rest of the group, Keystone continued, "Mayhap it's best we bunk near one another, for what little sleep I intend on getting tonight. Shouting distance, at the least. Maybe talk about the Goblin's Academy if we're still breathing, eh? Now, if there's nothin' else I can do for the lot of ya, I'm getting some rest."

"...and barring the doors."

< Message edited by Sigil -- 1/5/2016 23:17:57 >
AQW  Post #: 212
1/6/2016 18:49:47   
Draycos777

One by one, Arche watch as the others took to their place for the night. Her interest was slightly perked by the mention of gemstones, but if she said anything she knew that hundred and one questions would come out of her mouth. So, not wanting to gain any attention, Arche kept her mouth shut. Truth be told, she, herself, was beginning to get tired as well. Partially because of the time, but mostly because she was still up-keeping her dragconic form. She hadn't resumed human form because she was still uneasy about the rain and if something did happen she wanted to be ready to spring into action at any given moment. So, slightly crossed-eyed, Arche stacked the two cleared plates onto one another and pushed them to the side.

"Today turned out better than expected. I meant another dragonkin and didn't run into that wanna be noblesse, Victoria."

Arche picked up her bag and after a few seconds of rummaging, pulled out a small notebook, a quill and a key. She set the key down on the counter and started flipping through pages.

"If you want to turn in for the night, that the key to my room. I doubt you'll miss it as the room is probably the biggest one."

Finally stopping her page turning, Arche began writing. On the page, Arche archived the events of the day and drew a litter picture of a red dragon, a goblin, a tall man, a ranger, a silly looking clown with no shoes, and a girl in a dress with an 'x' through her.

Closing the book, Arche turned towards Rajiri to say something else, but after a few seconds she unconsciously closed her eyes. Her tail wrapping around the back of her chair, faint breaths escaped from her as her head began to hang low and Arche drifted off to sleep.
AQ  Post #: 213
1/11/2016 8:54:13   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

Sana nearly collapsed into the bed once she had closed the door, she had forgotten how long it had been since she slept and now that she was in a place where the primary function was to sleep she was going to do just that. No clothing was changed, no cleaning up was done, boots were not even pulled off. She barely unslung her bow before she fell face first into the bed and was out cold. She had expected dreams upon dreams but even those did not come and by the time the morning dawn crept into her window and she awoken no memories had passed through her mind.

She found it odd, she always dreamed, always. Each night for as long as she could remember the dreams came and brought answers, the brought questions, they brought joy, and they brought heart ache. They were vivid and full, so much to hear and feel, she smell and taste. Why not this past night? Was this another odd thing that came with this odd place known as Lore? Or was it just that she was that exhausted? She slowly sat up and rubbed her face, figuring she wasn't going to get any answers just staying in bed pondering. That solved nothing.

Rising from bed she stretched her arms high above her head before making her way to the window and peeking outside. The rain had stopped and the ground was dry; though as she opened the window she could smell the distinct singe that was left behind. Was an odd place she thought, though from what she knew that rain wasn't of Lore. It surely wasn't of her home lands. Perhaps someone had figured something out over night. If anything she figured she could grab a quick meal even if there were no answers and then be out of this place. Where she would head she had no idea but staying here waiting wasn't going to do her any good. Never had in the past. In fact the longer she lingered somewhere the worse things tended to get.

That thought in her mind she washed her face, grabbed her things and headed out of the room. Tossing her key down on the counter of the front desk before making her way into the tavern and looking about. From the looks of it, at least one person had passed out there instead of finding a room last night. She couldn't fault anyone, with everything that happened yesterday she was surprised more weren't camped out in the common area of the inn. Heading over to the bar she sat down at the counter and ordered some food before turning and giving an actual greeting to anyone.

"Morning," she said rather quietly, it seemed many weren't awake as of yet and she didn't want to really be the one to wake anyone at this point. Perhaps she could slip out before more awoke. The meal shouldn't take long, least she hoped it didn't.
Post #: 214
1/12/2016 16:20:29   
Bastet

Rajiri reached the table Arche was sitting at shortly after she was finished talking, the former picking a chair of her own while the latter began drawing on some sort of book she had dragged out of her belongings. The red dragon wasn’t entirely sure if the key she had put up on the table, along with the description of where to find the room that it unlocked, was directed to her, but she assumed she was. Seeing her busy enough with her own matters, Rajiri simply focused on finishing the food left in her plate. By the time she was done, it was already obvious that Arche’s exhaustion had taken her over. The red dragon pulled one of her rare half-smiles at the sight of her kin, slowly moving a hand towards the key she had made available.

Sliding the object into one of her pockets, Rajiri quietly stood and moved towards the bag that contained Arche’s possessions. Not even taking a look into its contests, she simply put what Arche had taken out back where it belonged and closed the sack as carefully as she could. Tiredly yawning herself, Rajiri moved Arche’s bag to hang on her back and moved with the intention of picking her kin up in her arms, taking a moment to look at the girl’s almost-innocent face. It wasn’t long after she began to move in her attempt that she realized that the shadow dragon’s weapon would be in her way. Deciding that she could make a second trip, and that her companion’s belongings took the priority in that case, she slowly undid the ties that held Ethereal Flame close to Arche’s body and carefully held the weapon in one hand before grabbing her bag in the other and moving towards the stairs.

It was fairly easy to find the room that corresponded to Arche’s description, and the key fit snugly in the doorhole. Rajiri stepped inside and put her kin’s weapon and bag down in a corner of the room, not caring much to observe the layout of the locale herself. Hurrying back to her companion’s sleeping spot, she carried through what she attempted before and picked Arche up fairly effortlessly since she didn’t seem to be opposing to her touch. Not honouring the patrons of the inn with a single look of hers, Rajiri simply carried Arche upstairs and gently placed her under the simple sheets of the bed. Quickly stripping herself of her clothes, Rajiri made sure the door to the room was securely locked and joined Arche in her rest. It had been an interesting day, and at the beginning of it she didn’t expect to conclude it sleeping in a “normal” bed, much less sharing a room with the type of kin she hadn’t met in many years.

Rajiri woke fairly early in the morning, but the sensation of being in a bed with no apparent reasons to get up readily overwhelmed her. It had been too long since the last time she had slept peacefully, and she would hang onto the feeling for as long as she could. Half waiting for Arche to make a move herself and half unwilling to simply get up and immerse herself into the “civilized” world once again, Rajiri stared at the ceiling in a state of half-consciousness.

At least the roof hadn’t been melted by acid.

< Message edited by Bastet -- 1/12/2016 16:25:06 >
Post #: 215
1/12/2016 20:27:48   
Sigil

Keystone awoke in the cold, grey dawn to almost absolute quiet. The low roar of the death-inflicting water from the heavens had ceased, leaving the general atmosphere in something of a pause; whether it was a true cease of activity or merely a breath before the next calamity was yet to be seen. The quiet made Keystone anxious. While not unnerved, he was on his guard, trying to stay as observant as the early hour allowed.

Yesterday's strain and excesses had taken a toll on his body this morning. Tight and bruised muscles groaned their reluctance to movement as the massive brawler rolled himself to a sitting position. He rubbed his face with his hands, and took stock of his situation.

For starters, his hand didn't have even a trace of pain from its immolation the night before. The ointment he received from Sana did function as promised. Even the flash burns on his face felt better. While he didn't feel like a new man, Keystone was back at his fighting best, more or less.

He was sitting up in a bed with a stuffed, straw mattress he hoped wasn't infested with something or another. The Inn seemed like a more or less respectable place (rather it did before, anyway), for a rural establishment. Keystone opened his window, letting the morning breeze in. He noted that he was correct about the rain, it had indeed stopped; he also noted that he was on the second floor, the window facing the front of the establishment.

It had been very interesting, the previous day. Interesting and positively tiring. He immediately passed out, despite reservations for his own safety, unsure as to whether he wanted to wake in that nondescript alehouse-with-rooms or back home. As memories of the various incidents that made up the past twenty-four hours returned to his mildly befuddled noggin, he let out a large sigh and rested his head in his hands.

Ok, time to get up.

Keystone stood and stretched, located clothes in his pack that weren't tatters or too terribly messy. It was then that a sort of quietish sound caught his attention - something from downstairs. His mind flashed toward possible dangers, as if he could somehow predict the chaoticly changing peril of this new realm, until he realized it was most likely the movements of one of the other guests, trying to be polite and not wake the others. Also, he realized that sound seemed to travel in this place. Not the best spot for a clandestine tryst, certainly. As the momentary feeling of urgency snapped him fully into the world of the living, Keystone became aware of a great pressure building in a familiar way in his lower abdomen. Yes, this would have to be seen to, and fast.

The sound of water hitting ground in a continuous stream, as if someone were ponderously pouring a great volume of fluid from a height, sounded as clearly as a church bell through the open and broken windows downstairs. Relatively dry ground soon turned to steaming mud, sharpening the clarity of the noise, yet simultaneously altering its audible profile to splattering white noise; constant, strong, and lacking refinement.

A cough rang out from upstairs. It was the common morning sound of a man clearing his throat from a night of hard respite in unfamiliar surroundings. The exact moment of the aggressive throat-clear brought a change in the quality of the liquid-dropping sound outside, interrupting its incessant feature and bringing a visual to bear - a relatively tight stream of pale dandelion flowed in front of the window nearest the front door, disappearing out of sight , if barely, from a straight-on view; correcting itself to its original destination and ever more disturbing, splattering drone.

From the private room upstairs, the one from where the cough originated earlier, a low pitched humming could be heard. A man with a low voice and almost no ability to string musical notes together attempted to hum scales as the now impressive, if offputting, line of strange yellow liquid danced back and forth in front of three of the ground-floor windows.

One downstairs may have noticed a rich and beefy odor wafting in from the broken and unshuttered apertures in the common room, tinged with a sharp musky note. The smell of a large alpha bear in the rut of mating season, ensuring that lesser rivals run screaming from the inescapable beatdown awaiting any that dare challenge its ursine majesty, pelted down upon the ground heavily; a torrent of amassing pheromones delivered by a source unknown (but highly suspected).

The humming upstairs became more aggressive as the long seconds ticked on, punctuated thusly but once with a squishy colonic horn: "...do re mi fa so <bbraarp> la teeeeee.... um... damnit..." interspersed with snatches of a drinking song that, by all accounts of anyone listening, seemed to be titled "Drink & Fight".

The slender torrent was cut off quite suddenly, the very second a great wind kicked up outside and the sound of wood slamming upon wood rang out from upstairs. The thusfar unidentified voice seemed to take a dim view of this event, exclaiming, "Ey! Ow ow ow ...bloody, fonging shutters..." amid the sound of a scuffle. The stream appeared anew, if with less gusto, accented by the interior noise of human effort upstairs.

The straining sounds continued as the arching volley of liquid waned, possibly indicating a connection of some sort, unidentifiable save by means of arcane, oracular divination. Kinda.

Keystone stowed the rest of his belongings into his pack, slung it over one shoulder, and strode down the stairs to rejoin the common room below. To no one in particular, he offered a hushed inquiry of:

"Kitchen open yet? I fancy a bit of tea before I get to m' constitutionals."
AQW  Post #: 216
1/12/2016 23:24:49   
Apocalypse

There existed a twilight between wakefulness and slumber where one could bridge the gap between the two. Aware of sounds and smells but unresponsive to them, catatonic but neither dreaming nor alert. Nilburke lay in this grey plane as the scuffling of footsteps and the smell of cooking pierced his thought but did not stir him. Waking would be so easy, so simple. The only requirement would be to give in to the sobering light of day. The goblin clenched his eyes tighter at the thought. One had to be awake to be productive, but sleep was vital as well. All he had to do was...wait...

Damn.

Nilburke opened his eyes with some difficulty and let out a small puff of air. He could remain on the bridge between the two states for great periods of time but if and only if he did not pursue sleep with conscious thought. The moment he did so was the amount he would be thrust into wakefulness. As the lingering effects of slumber wore off, new and unpleasant ones came to replace them. First was the pounding headache, payback for the imbibing of the previous night. Next came the heavy weight of his eyelids, the hours spent studying the deadrain now at work against him. Last but not least was the soreness in his back and stiffness in his neck, a penalty for spending the night on a wooden floor. Nilburke rubbed the blurriness from his eyes as the ceiling came into focus. He had woken up to far worse circumstances, but this one was still less than pleasant. Logic dictated the goblin should not repeat the night's events again, but the alchemist inside him gave the reminder that correlation did not equal causation. Perhaps it was the synergy from the unique combination that had caused his pains. Nilburke grinned to himself. Further experimentation was required.

The goblin stretched his arms above his head before sitting upright, massaging a sore spot on his neck as he did so. Nilburke then put a finger to the side of his nose to clamp one nostril shut as he snorted the mucus blocking the other one. Once a satisfactory amount had been taken in, the alchemist turned and spat the wad of saliva and repulsive nose secretion onto the floor with a sickening splat. He left the moss-green abomination where it was as he rose to his feet and made for the door.

"Order me some of what you're getting," Nilburke said as he itched his rear without remorse. "I've gotta take a piss."
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 217
1/13/2016 22:10:01   
Krey

Verna took her knife from Sana with a slight inclination of the head, a smile, and a mental note to add silver knives to her assortment. Tomorrow. For tonight, she was suddenly feeling the excitement of the day, and sleep was for her suddenly a thing of necessity. Glancing around the room, she managed to find her robe where she'd dropped it, unharmed but for the dust it collected upon its contact with the floor. She scooped it up and draped it over her shoulders, not bothering to clasp it in place as she would shortly be removing it again anyways.

She felt a small pang of guilt for leaving the cleanup to the rest, but there was nothing to be done for it. Her exhaustion would not be denied, and fully realizing as much, she wandered over to the bar and offered her thanks for the host's hospitality, as well as an apology for the mess, and dropped a few coins upon the bar in exchange for a key to one of the rooms upstairs. Swift and silent as a thief, she was out of the tavern's commons and up the stairs, room door locked behind her.

Exhausted, she dropped her robe to the floor, removed the rest of her garments and slid under the covers of the bed. The last thing she heard before slipping into dreams was the sound of rain upon the roof, and a scream that she chalked up to the beginning of her regular nightmares.

She woke after a fitful night, a faint weight in her chest the only memory of the nightmares she knew had invaded her sleep, but strangely no images, no sounds. Normally there would be more vivid recollection; often she would experience them as though they were real. Whatever uncanny exhaustion had sent her to rest so early must have been a boon, for the weight on her chest was a pleasure compared to the typical night. She sat up slowly, arching her back as she stretched her body, and then slid from under the covers.

She wasted no time getting dressed, though as she did she swore she could hear somebody singing nearby who, quite simply, should not ever sing in public. Ignoring the local insult to the musical language as best she could, she took a moment to brush off her red garments before tossing her robe over her shoulder and heading out the door.

Once downstairs, she dropped her key onto the bar top and glanced around, finding the archer and the brawler already present, and the goblin on his way out the door. Names escaped her; apparently nightmares weren't the only thing she couldn't remember. Though the previous night's battle had not fled her mind, names weren't quite her strength to begin with.

“Morning,” she called across the room, “I miss anything after the puppy?”
AQ  Post #: 218
1/14/2016 13:54:10   
Draycos777

Arche couldn't remember much of what happened the moments before she passed out. She could remember the feeling of darkness when one loses consciousness and she could remember the feeling of drifting during this state, but afterwards nothing else. She had no doubt released her dragconic form during this state, and returned to her completely human form. Her mind soon drifted towards the land of dreams. It was a memory from long ago, when she was much young. She and her little sister were playing in the outskirts of the cursed forest. Unlike others, they were creatures of shadow, so part of them found comfort in it's darkness, while another part of them found terrifying curiosity in it. While they wandered around, they encountered a large bat-bear thing, which chased them until they got lost. It wasn't until the next morning that the villagers found them hiding inside a carved out tree trunk. The dream was oddly vivid for Arche, and she could remember the feeling of panic as she grabbed her sister's arm and ran through the forest. She could hear the big monster's breathe as it chased them. Then suddenly, the whole forest got quiet. Arche carried her sister who had sprained her left ankle while they ran, until she found a big trunk with a hole in it. Fearing the the monster would return if they stayed out in the open, Arche used her magic to make the hole bigger. As Arche held her sister to keep her safe, her dream began to fade back into darkness.

Arche could feel a warmness next to her as she drifted in and out of consciousness. It was like a fire was burning beside her. Arche's reptilian instincts took over and she moved to her side and curled into a ball, pushing her spine next to the warmth.

"-So warm," Arche mumbled in her sleep; "-Just let me stay asleep for a little longer."

Although she said this, it wouldn't be much longer until the sound of curses rang out through the hallway of the second floor, bringing Arche out of her state of half-consciousness. The voice, all to familiar.

"-Key....Stone.... the idiot."

Arche was quite annoyed as she continued to lay on the bed as her mind began to stir and prepare her for the rest of the day. Arche sighed, wanting to continue in enjoying the soft fire. Instantly Arche's mind caught up to her last thought. Soft? Fires weren't soft, and where was she exactly? Sitting up, Arche looked around. She was still inside the tavern, Keystone's wailing made that clear enough, but the last thing she remembered was falling asleep downstairs at the bar. It would seem as though she was in the bed of a room. Her room? Looking to the side of the warmth, Arche noticed that Rajiri was laying there looking at the ceiling.

"-Ah, you brought me up here after I fell asleep. Sorry, and thank you."

Arche leaned over and took a look out the window

"-Rain stopped. That's good, being burned to death out in the middle of nowhere wasn't on my list of things I wanted to do in my life."

< Message edited by Draycos777 -- 1/14/2016 15:24:18 >
AQ  Post #: 219
1/17/2016 15:31:14   
Sigil

Tea.

Early in the morning, particularly after yesterday's events, it was essential. The lightly bitter yet soothing, oft medicinal herb, lulled into releasing its essence within the caresses of water, steam announcing its just-below-boiling quality to any lucky enough to view a properly made cup.

Keystone's preference, like many of his social standing, was coarse, black tea - late harvest, strongly flavored, and oftentimes more bitter (not to mention painfully less subtle). It required less discerning skill to harvest, fewer days to age properly, and kept for much, much longer; hence its lower cost. When Keystone's mother was able to afford tea, in his much younger days, it was invariably black. His upbringing in this regard influenced his tastes as an adult; that is to say that, though he opted to spend a little extra coinage on the quality of his tea, he still preferred black. The fact that it had more of an invigorating quality than its earlier harvested brethren helped with his opinion of it, as well.

Unfortunately, this place didn't have it.

Keystone lamented the facts of his situation. He was born and raised as an urbanite, into a great walled city as large as many small nations. He had to acquire a few skills during his travels that many rural folk came to naturally, and up until the last few years his travels kept him near trade routes and places of habitation. Being unceremoniously left in the middle of Burnt Armpit, Nowhere in the greater realm of Lore was bad enough, even worse that the nearest spot of humanity didn't have one of the basics of civilization: Tea.

He looked evenly at the barkeep, and began a slow, methodical rant. "Right. Bloody sodding brilliant, then. I'm shyte-hemorrhaging sick of the mass cockreamin' we've been taking ever since landing in this cesspit. Fire-dogs, frisky barmen, dead guy walking about, ill-tempered scaly women, flesh-eating rain, my bloody coat that my own mum got me caught ablaze and left in ash..."

Keystone was certain he'd missed something, but didn't want to continue pondering the matter and miss his point.

"...and you mean to tell me I can't get a cup of tea in the morning? No, no... here's what's happening now: You're going to fetch me a kettle of water. Bring it to a boil and back it off, then set it in front of me with a bit of cheesecloth or cooking lace, right? Yeah, butcher's twine if you've got it, and a spoon. Set a porcelain cup beside, and leave me to it."

The irritated pugilist thunked his huge pack onto the bar beside him, and dug out a small package wrapped in cloth. He withdrew a modest amount of a chestnut, almost black, pungent herb, mounding a small pile in front of him on a napkin. "Napkins, but no tea... gotta be yankin' me." Keystone hated to dip into his stock for small trade, but this was a bit of an emergency. Life's little luxuries became important in the face of general adversity.

Another thought leapt to mind - the deal he had worked out with the establishment. His thought was broadcast in part by the sudden change of expression on his face, and the spring-like rise he demonstrated from his chosen barstool. Brisk steps brought him to the kitchen door, which he pushed open with gusto. Standing in the doorway, arms wide, he froze, staring within. His project was completed in the night, despite the events occurring. Meat, glorious meat, mostly set under preservative methods lay neatly wrapped and stacked on a central table. The pile was massive. Inspiring, even. Sausages, tightly wrapped smoked cuts, jerky, and other odd number of freshly prepared charcuterie awaiting travel and consumption, as well as a few bits cooked and waiting for more immediate eating. There was evidence that the scullery crew may have sampled their handiwork, but the truly impressive labor completed (under Keystone's direction) obliterated any hard feelings on the matter. He considered it a tip, given gratefully for prompt and skilled service.

"No words." he said flatly, a glimmer of emotion cracking through his stony visage. "Shoulda sent a poet..."

AQW  Post #: 220
1/19/2016 13:44:19   
Apocalypse

Nilburke caught wind of Candles' inquiry just as he opened the tavern door. He left it agape so as to still be privy to the conversation while he went to search for the, well, privy. However, the goblin had not made it a step out the door when the urge to relieve himself overwhelms any small notion to follow social etiquette. He turned ninety degrees to the right, took one and a half-steps, and turned another ninety degrees before fumbling with his trousers. And not a moment too soon. The stream was a strong one and hideous of odor. The stench smelled straight of alcohol, and the alchemist imagined that one might still be able to get a kick out of it if times had been desperate enough.

After a moment of enjoying the euphoria of his bladder emptying, Nilburke turned his ear to the conversation happening indoors. While not a direct response to Candles' question, Brute's mutterings did hit the highlights. The goblin bobbed his head with each major point as he mulled over last night's events. When Keystone jumped from his barstool and made a beeline for the kitchen, Nilburke nodded his head. Not traditional, but the vast majority of the excitement had been recounted.

The alchemist leaned over as he relieved himself, his head popping into the door's open frame. "That's the most of it, if you caught it all," Nilburke called out to Candles over the sounds of his own fluid being expelled. "Some sort of corrosive rain came about, burnt Wheat's hand and a bit of a my own. We had a few drinks, a little pleasant conversation with the half-scalies...all in all, a good time."

He straightened himself and leaned forward to rest his head on the tavern's wall before him. Whatever flora below the alchemist that had survived the deadrain would not be survive this second onslaught. "And that wight lost its mind after it had returned. Probably got caught in the rain and is a puddle of necrotic goop somewhere right now," he added, his voice raised to compensate for the distance.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 221
1/23/2016 10:12:46   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

Sana leaned her head against the table, the night seemed to have gone quietly enough thankfully. The last thing any of them needed after everything they had already been through was another sudden change. There had been enough change, she was tire of change, she was tire in general even after a full nights sleep. That was odd, most nights, no matter how tired she was the night before she awoke refreshed and ready to go. Another odd side effect of the area? Or was it perhaps because of the burn? The burn.... she had nearly forgotten it.

Looking down at her hand, it didn't hurt anymore, no more sting, no more acid feel etching into her flesh but the bandage did not appear to be in the best condition after the night. It was green and yellow, that caused her to worry a bit. Did that mean an infection had set in over night? Slowly, with her other hand she untucked the tip of the linen and slowly peeled it away. There was no scent, which gave her hope. If it was indeed infected, the smell should have hit her by now since she had unwrapped several layers from it.

Finally she pulled the last layer away. It looked bad, still raw and such but it was not festering. What ever it had been, what ever damage it had caused had at least been stopped over night and seemed to have seeped into the linen being pulled from her flesh. Taking out a fresh linen she got up from her seat; leaving the soaked puss ridden linen in a bowl on the table and made her way over towards to the bar. Grabbing a pitcher of water and pouring it into a clean blow before she submerged her hand. It was cold and it stung a bit but it wasn't horrid, drawing nothing more than a grimace from the archer as she cleaned up the wound.

Taking the clean linen she wrapped her hand back up and grabbed her bow, drawing the string back to test how much she would be held back if a fight broke out. After everything that had happened, she wanted to know her weaknesses before an enemy did. It hurt but she could fight through it and she knew once her adrenaline kicked it, it would be even easier. Satisfied that she could still be of use she slung her bow back over her shoulder and had a seat back at the table. She was hungry but wondered if she should eat at this time. Instead her thoughts traveled elsewhere.

"Nilburke, you mentioned a place you knew that may have known what that rain was? Do you think perhaps they would have any knowledge of the fog that brought me and others here?" she asked as she turned her attention over to him. "Right now, I don't know these lands, it seems as good a place as any to begin...well if it is even in this realm. Is it?"
Post #: 222
1/25/2016 16:10:17   
Bastet

Rajiri didn’t think much of Arche’s movements even as she rolled about in her sleep, making contact with the red dragon’s body. It didn’t come to her mind, but Arche probably was one of very few people that Rajiri would allow to make such contact with her. At a certain point, the shorter dragon-kin seemed to rouse from her sleep and actually take note of her surroundings.

"-Ah, you brought me up here after I fell asleep. Sorry, and thank you."

Half asleep herself, Rajiri took what notice she could of what Arche had said. Mumbling some kind of answer, she continued her pseudo-sleep until she felt it was the right time to resume full control of her body. It had been long since the last time she had slept in a vaguely comfortable bed, and probably the first time someone had offered one to her without making her wake with a knife in her back.

"-Rain stopped. That's good, being burned to death out in the middle of nowhere wasn't on my list of things I wanted to do in my life."

Hearing Arche pronounce herself again, Rajiri yawned slowly and made a fairly successful attempt at sitting up on the bed rather than lying, hoping that such a stance would bring about her full awareness quicker than simply waiting as she was. Eventually growing tired of her own desires to remain under the sheets, Rajiri shook off her own laziness and decided to move out of the bed and approach the closest window, the same one Arche had looked out of. Her own nudity didn’t bother her: she was proud of her body, and wasn’t ashamed of her figure. The only reason to clothe up was if she had to leave the room or if she was in the presence of someone she didn’t trust, neither of which were occurring at the moment. The orange dragon spoke, though it was more of a way of letting her thoughts out rather than speaking to Arche intently.

“Well, I guess it’s a good thing. I do not feel safe amongst the kind that constantly tries to apprehend me, much less when even natural phenomena seem to be coming after me. Well, as natural as acid rain can be. Let’s go find something to eat when you’re up, I’m hungry.”

Makes it much easier if I can just profit of off someone else’s efforts and fill my stomach without wasting the time that a hunt requires. At least, until I can finally go back to the wilderness.

Finding herself thinking of the reason that was keeping her there, Rajiri opened the window and leaned on the edge of it, her sight resting on whatever elements of nature she could see. Why was she still there? Other than the novelty of having met one of her kin, was there really a reason to remain among the civilized kind?
Post #: 223
1/25/2016 18:40:02   
Sigil

Upon hearing the group was planning on their next move, Keystone snapped out of the trance the processed Hellhound meat had over him. He looked back to Sana, nodding in agreement.

"Been flogging that point like a dog, Nilburke. I got nothing better goin' on here, anyways."

Keystone looked back into the kitchen, his eyes misty with childlike wonder. That was a lot of meat. More than even he could comfortably carry for any length of time, even if he wasn't shouldering a long-term traveling pack. He may have to procure some sort of conveyance, though the environment and his own financial limitations would make that difficult.

"I'm all for it. But I've got some things need doing first."

The barkeep set a thick square of quilted cloth atop the bar, and placed a vigorously steaming kettle atop it. The remaining items requested were similarly provided, and Keystone set to work, roughly measuring out bits of dark herb and tying it into loose bundles of culinary lace. He glanced back at the members of his irregular party and waved down the barkeep, pointing at his cup and holding up four fingers.

"Ey there... Steak, eggs, and toast. Fruit, if ya got any." He tossed a silver coin on the table. "Shave that steak from my precious reserves, wouldya?"

Keystone rose from the bar and turned to the group assembled in the common room. "Good black tea from home, if'n you folk want some. I let mine steep for a bit - like it strong. But you lot have at it for starts. I'll be back before the eggs are cold."

With that, the massive pugilist stepped out of the establishment, into the morning air. He strode confidently, cast an eye skyward, and surveyed the hamlet with fresh eyes. With purpose, he strode off to take care of his intended errand.

"... bloody 'ell, it smells like piss out 'ere..."

AQW  Post #: 224
1/26/2016 23:43:27   
Apocalypse

Nilburke nodded his head before realizing Wheat and the others would not be able to see him. "Yes, it, well, oh sod it. Hold on," he called out to them as his much-needed relieving came to an end. With the amount of waste his body had passed, the goblin was surprised at the carrying capacity of his own bladder, and that he had not shriveled into a dry husk. At least, the alchemist would have been had this not been a semi-frequent occasion. Amazing what the limits of flesh could do on its own without the aid of the supernatural. Nilburke shuffled his trousers and, once decent by softie standards, made his way back inside. Brute passed him on the way out, commenting on the foul stench left behind.

"You're welcome! Hyurk hyurk hyurk!" With a devilish grin on his face, the goblin plopped himself onto a stool and helped himself to some tea. A bad idea in regards to his looming dehydration, but a pleasant one when it came to settling his stomach and doing what he wanted. The alchemist took a sip, allowing the hot liquid to roll over his tongue for a brief moment before swallowing it. The sensation was like little hands massaging his throat all the way down. Nilburke sighed with content. He had been in the middle of saying something...

"Oh right," the green companion said as he placed his cup down. "Hrah Thorn. Large collective of mages and scholars. All matters of disciplines studied. Hundreds of thousands of books, not to mention tomes and scrolls and the like. Or so they claim." Nilburke closed his eyes and took a whiff of the steam rising from the black tea. It had not been laced with narcotics (to Nilburke's knowledge, but Brute did seem to have a bit of a wild side), but the goblin could swear he was receiving a similar effect from the smell alone. "A bit...rigid at times, perhaps, but not lacking when it comes to knowledge. A strong chance the answer lies there, though we may have to do a bit of searching first."

He took another taste of the tea. This time the little scholar did not bother to put it back down again. Instead, he held it just below his chin, allowing the steam to warm him. "And it's of this realm, fortunately. About five days on foot, if you're someone of my stature and cumbered as so. Less if we rode, of course."

Another pause, another sip of that delectable nectar. Nilburke swirled the contents and stared into the dark abyss of the liquid's surface. "We sure Brute didn't drug this?"
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing >> RE: ~*Getting To Know You*~
Page 9 of 11«<7891011>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition