Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =ED= Let's ask the staff thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: =ED= Let's ask the staff thread
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/31/2015 9:52:49   
One Winged Angel1357

@Syfy I'm going to let you in on a little secret and that is the dev's physically have to be at the lab to post on the forums. So either they find some down time while they are at work to comment like NW, Char, and Korin have all done in recent history or they go home and post a comment through one of the guest team members.

@kaiseryeux21
1. A lot of work went into the Infernal war and once the war was over the dev's realized that almost nothing there was made on a reusable system. This is what lead to the War 2.0 system which just uses PvP and some art assets that if needed could be switched out for something else. Almost everyone will agree that The Infernal Saga was great but unfortunately it just wasn't designed well for what the team needed to make which is content they don't have to worry about removing so they can focus dev time on adding new content or adjusting existing content

2. Unfortunately a lot of the big things that are planned for EpicDuel have been put on hold because their simply aren't enough hours in the week to do the needed work to get BioBeasts out and to make amazing things for ED. When I saw there aren't enough hours in the week there have been days where members of the dev team literally stay the night at work to keep working.

@Thylek
I agree. I went looking for them the other day and only found the old ones. On Monday I'll ask NW if he can grab the current ones for me as it would be very useful for balance discussion.

I've did bring up to Mecha after the last balance update but unfortunately Bots are something that does not fall under the control of the balance tool so changes have to be run by Rabble or Titan. However; the biggest issue with IA is that nothing is more attractive than it. If I am using a focus build at high levels where I have a lot of extra points to move around is there any reason for me not to take a guaranteed 120% base damage rage? The answer is no because chances are you will live to your second rage attack without much of a struggle. Personal opinion so long as the bot runs off of a percent modifier it will always be too attractive to ignore because even at a low 500 base damage that is an extra 100 damage more than any other bot can get you with Monkey being a close second averaging 90 on Support spam builds

Varium pricing is set by the company and where packages are placed are decided by the players speaking with their wallets. We have tried lower cost packages in the past and the numbers showed they didn't sell as much as the $50 package. We don't know why but that is what the players decided.

< Message edited by One Winged Angel1357 -- 10/31/2015 10:13:06 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 26
10/31/2015 12:16:29   
Elite Tuga

Long time I haven't been around. Glad to see a respectful amount of activity still going on around here. :D

Questions: If ever Flash Player is completely something in the past and left for dead, what will happen to the (older) AE games like AQW and EpicDuel? Will they be reintroduced/transitioned to a new platform/player or left for dead as well?!?

Thanks in-advance

Epic  Post #: 27
10/31/2015 12:19:57   
One Winged Angel1357

quote:

If ever Flash Player is completely something in the past and left for dead, what will happen to the (older) AE games like AQW and EpicDuel? Will they be reintroduced/transitioned to a new platform/player or left for dead as well?!?

If the company doesn't find a way to preserve them they will probably end up like old dos games. Just a product of a bi-gone era that with a little work you can get them running again but only for local play
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 28
10/31/2015 23:54:32   
Zippleclopper

Looking at the new 2016 AE calendar, it doesn't have an ED item....so my question is whether an ED item is going to be added to the calendar?
Post #: 29
11/2/2015 11:11:17   
One Winged Angel1357

Currently the EpicDuel item for the 2016 calendar is pending
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 30
11/2/2015 11:16:56   
dfo99

my posts about game logic and missions in others threads was about the entire future of ed mission, it is sad that you all see it trivial as what soap titan uses to wash his bacon.

< Message edited by dfo99 -- 11/2/2015 14:49:11 >
Post #: 31
11/2/2015 11:22:21   
One Winged Angel1357

dfo the original post was made to be lightly humored like a MtAK thread but as you can see from reading the questions asked it is a lot more serious than some of the questions that came up during Ask Titan or most MtAK threads
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 32
11/2/2015 12:54:17   
dfo99

is actually possible some staff ask the devs how many players have defeated zedmyr, leg titan, matrix and the lgow and post here?
Post #: 33
11/2/2015 13:19:28   
One Winged Angel1357

I can certainly ask but the answer may take a awhile as today is meeting day at the office

I've passed on the question of how many unique players have defeated each legendary boss

< Message edited by One Winged Angel1357 -- 11/2/2015 13:22:37 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 34
11/3/2015 17:15:59   
Cookiesaregood

quote:

A $50 package for instance not only gives you up to seven promo items but also varium worth more than 550,000 credits (if you spend it all on class changes).

Do you honestly feel 7 cosmetic items with unique cores is worth 50 dollars?

and Could you give me a good reason why the hell I would spend it all on class changes.
Post #: 35
11/3/2015 21:12:08   
ambien

well has this post solve any questions not rlly still have not been told if ed will die after jan 31st 2016. One Winged Angel1357 Date 11/2/2015 11:11:17
Currently the EpicDuel item for the 2016 calendar is pending. rlly what does that tells us. Zippleclopper Date 10/31/2015 23:54:32
Looking at the new 2016 AE calendar, it doesn't have an ED item....so my question is whether an ED item is going to be added to the calendar?

ok please tell us staff if ed will die or not. other wise if ed was going to live another full year into 2017 for sure then players will spend varium for the gifting for the 2015 xmass year, but if ed dies jan 31st 2016 l an a lot of other players might not spend a dime of varium or buy any more varium packs.

l think it is a fair question to ask and btw one wing the staff does know if ed is going by the way side or not by now so maybe you could ask them for the truth, will ed live another year a full year or not , please ask.

the answer we have heard so far is maybe , well, might, we are busy with bio, they know by now so just tell us gamers that is all we want to know.

any way my thoughts on this very sore subject about ed

always the syfy
Post #: 36
11/3/2015 22:06:25   
One Winged Angel1357

@Ambien There are no plans to stop developing EpicDuel. No one on the team wants it to die without having another major game ready to launch so we aren't taking anything away from the players. All that said the majority of browsers have shown a willingness to completely kill Flash support should another exploit arise. If this were to happen we would absolutely tell you what browsers still support Flash or another way to play the game until we are ready to migrate the community to the next big project

As for your other comment I was handed an answer from a dev and that is what I put. Sorry it doesn't answer much but that is the official statement

quote:

Do you honestly feel 7 cosmetic items with unique cores is worth 50 dollars?

and Could you give me a good reason why the hell I would spend it all on class changes.

I personally liked the cheaper promo packs but the community spoke with their wallets and the $50 pack greatly outsold the lower priced ones which is why the promos are $50. Also I have no clue why the example you were given was class changes. Unless you are hardcore flavor of the month jumper the best thing to do with Varium is to buy one promo pack and buy level one promos to get the most out of your Varium

< Message edited by One Winged Angel1357 -- 11/3/2015 22:14:35 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 37
11/3/2015 22:22:33   
  Exploding Penguin

Forgive me if this has already been asked...

Why are the devs so adamant about bringing back passives? There have been so many good reasons listed on the forums that support their return and barely anything that actually backs up why not having passives on the skill tree is healthy for the game.

Also, there's just a lot of complaints about the current meta in general. Can we expect some large overhaul to be made to the battle mechanics? Honestly I think the gradualism approach of evolution that ED is currently following isn't really helping keep the players interested in the battles. I would much more like to see something of a very volatile punctuated equilibrium approach where changes can quickly be reverted if they prove to be a bad idea (kind of like what probably goes on in the test servers).
Epic  Post #: 38
11/3/2015 22:37:54   
dfo99

i am not sure if the devs actually refuse to bring back the passives despite the several players insistence simply due the fact that their have to replace the actual respective skills (battery, fire scythe etc..) added to replace the old ones.

but if the lack of ideas is the problem, the easiest way to almost instantly bring the passives back is put them in a similar screen as the legendary ranks, just creat a icon above the legendary ranks and character page icon which open the 6 passives skills and set by default 20 points to you use as you want.

ps: in the scenario, ofc everybody would just set 10 points in hybrid armor and the others 10 in mineral or plasma armor, then the hybrid armor could just not be added or nerfed.
Post #: 39
11/4/2015 5:52:51   
Foulman

What if every build had passives on a different skill tree called 'the passive skilltree?' And what if those passives used passive skill points instead of normal skill points? It should be capped at 20 points at level 40. And at least 3 new skills for every class would be nice as well. As a question for the devs, are there any plans to give classes more than 12 skills in the future? I'm hoping for something like 30 differents skills per class to bring up variety a bit and maybe get more players into the game.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 40
11/4/2015 9:13:17   
Satafou

ED will die... There is no point of them doing any major changes at this point.
Post #: 41
11/4/2015 9:34:33   
Therril Oreb
Legendary AdventureGuide!

I would like to direct everyone to get back on-topic. This is not a thread to discuss EpicDuel. This thread is meant for asking questions towards the dev's. Please stick with this.
~Therril Oreb
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 42
11/4/2015 15:45:03   
dfo99

here is a explanation of what i suggest.

1- the passives balloon
http://i.imgur.com/S7gmJ1s.png

2- then when you click on it.
http://i.imgur.com/PID9CRB.png

what the devs thinks about it? the devs don't need reply this asap, is better think about in all ways possible then scrap out or agree.

edit: i forgot mineral and plasma armor, my bad.

< Message edited by dfo99 -- 11/5/2015 19:18:22 >
Post #: 43
11/6/2015 5:33:13   
Remorse

^ It has been suggested before and unfortunately they just insert the same unfinished statement that they will "Never" reintroduce passives (despite them already being in the game as passive cores).

I guess my question is this,

Will you consider opening up discussion on the topic of passives given reasoning for the removal have many un-answered counter arguments such as through a separate from the skill tree system?

I understand the need to ban all discussion of the topic as in many cases it was getting out of hand as simply complaints with no suggestions, but in the case where it was constructive and valid counter arguments, to me seemed childish.

I think it's time both parties become a little more mature and open up this topic to proper discussion.

I read an interesting post the other day for hearthstone however the concept is open to all games and I think relevant in terms of the developers response to passive removal (my opinion).

I would be greatly interested as to what your response is to the following concept especially in terms of passive removal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3rg0q1/sometimes_game_designers_are_just_wrong_my_diablo/

Edit: A small quote from the above post I find particularly powerful and objectively relevant to ED.
quote:

Something a lot of successful people in our industry are really bad at because of the creative aspect that goes into game design is objective self-criticism, especially when they work in a tight-knit team. It can be really easy to dismiss critiques by fans or reviewers as just "not getting" your design philosophy, and ride that mentality up until you land in a burning ditch.

< Message edited by Remorse -- 11/6/2015 5:42:16 >
Epic  Post #: 44
11/6/2015 11:07:48   
T.600

There's far too many issues with the game as it is to discuss in one post, but one I'd like to definitely bring up, and an issue that seems to have been echoed previously, is that of robots. I am specifically referring to the Infernal Android bot here. I don't see the rationale of making every robot have the same base damage at 170. This was a welcome buff for some bots (like Assault Bot or Pyro Fly), but it has put the IA out of proportion. IA was much more balanced before, where it traded off one large burst of damage for lower sustained damage. Now, with 170 base damage, it provides both sustained and burst damage. What's the problem with a lack of trade-off, besides forcing all focus builds to use the same bot? The fact that this has increased how luck focused battles are now. If that one massive burst (which now received a further damage increase with the added base damage) is deflected, then the battle is decided. Battles have come down to whether or not the IA will be deflected or not.

As for my question, why did you homogenize bot damage? In its previous state, bots could trade off utility for damage. A very simple example of this would require me to look back at the old days. Back then, Gamma Bot was better for damage whereas Assault Bot was a better utility bot for debuffs. Now, every bot has the same base damage. Sure, some bots have different specials, but it's not enough of a trade-off to switch bots, within focus builds. Let's not forget the fact that varium bots now have less of a discernible advantage over the IA. If your argument is going to be, that you homogenized bot damage simply to prevent further inflation of numbers, then why not keep the max bot damage at 190 still? This would make battles more interesting. For example, I loved seeing a battle between a 190 base damage Kartherax bot vs a 150 base damage IA bot. It was much more balanced. The opponent would have to time his burst perfectly, while the user with Karth could constantly apply pressure with a sustained flow of damage.

While I'm here, I might as well mention a few more matters. Thanks Charfade, for addressing the PvP botting issue, BUT, botting NPCs is much more of a problem. I understand that with ranks you wanted to create a system of endless levelling whereby players would have a constant motivation to gain xp (although this sort of thing is much better in PvE games :P). Botting NPCs allows players to gain a disproportionately higher amount of xp and credits than non-botters. Sure, underdog mode tries to address this, but, I do believe that ranks SHOULD provide an advantage, but they shouldn't be so easy to obtain by those who cheat. Now, what's the core issue which has led to NPC botting? The fact that 100 npcs can be killed per day, and, the fact that certain NPCs drop credit items which can be farmed for 24/7. Simple solution? Bring back the old NPCing system where it's a max of 15 NPC kills per hour. Phase out the credit drops from NPCs and bring back item drops in PvP for some supplementary credits. In regards to a question, I merely seek your opinion on the matter.

Last thing I'll say, and this is something I brought up with Alley before. Bring back passives and remove PASSIVE cores. I know it's a bold decision, but it would make the game enjoyable. What's wrong with passive cores? Some of them have far too much of an impact on the luck factor, which makes battles be decided more by luck than anything else. Remember, a fun PvP game has some element of luck involved, but strategy should always prevail. Cores such as a +5% bonus to crits on using aux are ridiculous. Another issue with cores is that everyone uses the same items, due to the ''must-have'' cores, such as the Azrael and Dread auxes. It would seem to me, that you think the solution to this would be just to add more variety of cores? Incorrect. Bringing back the old stat system where weapons have different stats would make build making more fun and allow us to see a lot more different weapons being used.

Thank you for reading. I do hope that you can take the time to address my issues/questions/queries. I have tried to be as constructive as possible.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 45
11/6/2015 14:26:18   
One Winged Angel1357

quote:

As for my question, why did you homogenize bot damage?

I'm not really sure why we decided to balance out Robot damage without making the cores more meaningful to be honest. I've been spending some of my off time doing a write-up for core changes on bots to give some reasons to pick a bot that isn't IA or Gamma Bot is you wanted to try something different. I honestly feel if we made the robot cores more meaningful and capped the bonus gained by IA like we have for Dread auxes we would see some variation in robot choice because we have removed the stat abuse gain from IA and if done right we will give more power to synergies and drop the handicap that robots cannot directly counter each other. Just to make this clear all of that talk is just a player suggestion and not me pretending to understand balance more than I really do

quote:

NPC Botting

I'm down for trying anything at this point. NW did ask the group to come up with as many ideas as possible to decrease the reward of NPC botting and seeing as the main issue was credit item drops we went with making their credit gain less so it wasn't that much more rewarding than PvP. Any address to botting is a work in progress and we are always on the look out for a better method

A very large response to all the comments about passives. I am not in a position where I can accurately comment on passives or massive changes to the game so I have to wait until I can get a response from someone who is in that position and that can take time. I know it isn't fun to wait for answers but I am waiting with you guys and not just sitting here withholding information because that defeats the point of this thread

< Message edited by One Winged Angel1357 -- 11/6/2015 20:20:47 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 46
11/6/2015 22:04:20   
T.600

@OWA:

Gamma Bot is pretty good now with the new special. The main problem is just the ridiculous amount of damage IA's special can do, especially in long battles. When using a 5 focus build it can take out over 2/3s of my hp on rage, in a long battle...which is just ridiculous. It's impossible to win without hoping for a deflection, or ending the battle early. For those with a defensive playstyle, such as myself, that's rather inconvenient (I prefer not to take risks).

Reworking bot cores is a waste of time. Most of them would be balanced if you just adjusted the base damage on the bot. For example, take the botanical borg. Which has 170 base damage, the special hits two targets and does 85% damage to both targets. If we kept this 15% damage reduction on the special but increased the base damage to 190, it would be viable in 2vs2 and Juggernaut, much more so than it is now. To compensate for this damage increase, I would make the special deflectable.

IA's special is already capped at 120%, according to the description. Having it at 150 base damage would balance it out. I remember back when it had 150 base damage, I tried out a fun TM build which required Technician to make the most of the special. It was much more fun and strategic to use then. I also believe that the changes to bot damage have made support builds stronger than they ought to be. Without a 190 base damage bot, it's hard to do really high damage to supp builds now. It honestly feels like they can get crazy damage and solid defenses. A stat spam build should trade off defense for higher damage.

I really want to bring this issue to light, because it's quite a simple fix which could greatly increase how fun PvP is. At the very least, get the testers to look at the numbers and compare the effectiveness of having different base damages on each bot.

In regards to NPC botting, I sent you a PM, because I didn't want to name and shame, and I don't know the rules regarding posting screenshots.

As for passives (extending to why all weapons have the same stats now too, I hope), I await the official response to which you alluded.

< Message edited by T.600 -- 11/6/2015 22:05:08 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 47
11/6/2015 22:15:42   
.Lord Ginger.

IA is OP, I want to use another robot without losing...could do monkakazi, but it's not THAT much of a great bot. I don't agree with the 190 deflectable because hardly anyone does 5 focus on battle anyways. Support build aren't really OP, it's just that it's toughas TM and CH without a reliable HP gen. Most robots wouldn't be good if just damage increased, or else you'd have to buff the heck out of assault bot and azrael's borg as well as black abyss and omega yeti, and every robot that isn't used because IA or Pyro and sometimes Cyber Yeti
AQW Epic  Post #: 48
11/6/2015 22:41:11   
T.600

@Ginger:

I think that increasing just the damage on bots would make a bigger difference than you think. I just saw in the suggestions forum, someone suggested that IA could have separate damage types (phys and energy). So the special would be the same damage type as the normal. This is a pretty good idea too, although I would prefer if the base damage was just reduced. Even if it had one damage type, there's only so much damage that shields can mitigate (especially on rage). Just to prove my point (and as we discussed ingame), I'll prove further examples of how changing base damage could make more bots viable.

Assault bot- If it had 170 base damage, and the special could also debuff necrosis+the blood hawk nerfs, it would be a genuinely good support/utility bot in 2vs2. With 190 base damage (and a blockable main attack), this bot could be even more competitive. Although I'll leave the number-crunching to the testers.

Lionhart's avatar- A bot which used to have 190 base damage and was viable in 2vs2, if used strategically. With high base damage, it already trades off risk and reward. The risk being, that it's blockable and not deflectable. With a focus build, you have more chance of being blocked than deflected. If this bot was buffed again, the core could be used strategically in 2vs2 too. Another possibility for the special, could be to make it a one-time usage that provides full rage gain. Remember, it takes a turn to use it up, so it would still be somewhat balanced.

Abyss Bot- I'd keep it at 170 base damage and make the regular attack deflectable. This would make it a balanced robot which is both useful against NPCs and in PvP.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 49
11/7/2015 12:17:10   
.Lord Ginger.

quote:

I think that increasing just the damage on bots would make a bigger difference than you think.
I would love to be able to use a different robot than IA in a 1v1 and win. Black abyss needs a necrosis buff, the energy robot used to be deflectable, but for a stupid reason, the devs made it blockable. It was decently powered but never overpowered, however the IA is the 2nd cheapest robot In the game after assault bot and is the most OP and isn't rare. Something seems wrong with that picture.
AQW Epic  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: =ED= Let's ask the staff thread
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition