Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Why does flash "dying" means ED have to die along with it?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Why does flash "dying" means ED have to die along with it?
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/26/2015 3:06:54   
Cyber Dream

In my opinion, ED can survive with flash forever. We don't need all these fancy updates, just keep everything basic and have a big update every once in a while. Is it also possible to delete old seasonal items/events,etc and replace it with a new one every year to save space? Or am I misunderstanding how flash works? Just look at how beta/gamma were, wasn't anything to spectacular and we loved it.
AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/26/2015 3:22:45   
kaziboca

dont tell anyone but ive been playing aqw with flash 11.x. i think the issue is browsers not running flash anymore, but you can still use downloaded applications to run flash games
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
11/26/2015 9:36:00   
One Winged Angel1357

Flash dying has to do with browser support directly impacting player numbers. The will be ways to play the game but as those ways get more complicated less people are going to use them; which in turn will reduce the player pool to an almost unplayable amount.

EpicDuel being PvP focused means that it will be impacted the most by browsers cutting flash support. AQ, DF, MQ, HS, and OS I could just load up and play solo. AQW I could get on twitter and call in a few friends. ED I need other random players to be online to really play the game
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 3
11/26/2015 16:05:45   
  Exploding Penguin

Because spec-wise flash games are inferior to others in the market and there is no reason for new players to want to play a flash game over a mobile one or a desktop app one.
Epic  Post #: 4
11/26/2015 20:20:13   
Remorse

Not to mention, the sterorypical AE demographic are probably not gonna download a seperate program to play the AE games. Lower player base -> Less income -> unaffordable updates -> death of the game.
Epic  Post #: 5
11/27/2015 4:58:39   
Therril Oreb
Legendary AdventureGuide!

With all of the above being said, EpicDuel is not going to disappear yet. The developers are working on alternatives as we speak and once the time is there, more will be said by the staff about this.
The disappearance of Adobe Flash is going ot happen, but the AE Flash games are not gone yet.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 6
11/27/2015 17:05:12   
Khannibal

Wow I feel kind of sad about this, I haven't been on in years but I popped on because I had an urge to play Dragonfable after watching old videos, thought i'd pop back here to see how the game was going and didn't even take into account the issue with Flash.

After about 3 years I didn't see a bright future in the game but honestly I didn't expect it to be down to software competition, I played AQ about 12 years ago when I had access to Java games because it was up my street but i've just logged on to my main here and there were 300 people online the place was bare.

Really sad to see what's happened.
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
11/28/2015 1:07:13   
Thylek Shran

I think it will be like with MS Windows XP which still has a worldwide share of 8-18%*
on desktop computers that are connected to the internet. Its 14 years old now and
does no longer get supported since 1.5 years. So there should not be a big problem
with Flash and AE games in the next 3 years but as there are other software game
platforms on the market Adobe Flash will loose market shares continuously and end
like Win XP. This should give all AE devs enough time to convert the existing games
or work on successors (ED 2, etc.) which is way more likely. This does mean alot
more coffee, bacon and sushi getting consumed.

*depending on the data source

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201511-201511-bar

< Message edited by Thylek Shran -- 11/28/2015 1:09:46 >

v.35.3 (2016-01-23) ~ beam.to/shran
DF Epic  Post #: 8
11/28/2015 3:20:51   
shadow.bane

the survival of ED after flash player dies is simple , to convert from flash player to unity player but this will cost a lot of money and a lot of time , am talking about 100 + k us $ and an almost a year of coding time . no flash updates mean more lag in browser and more unplayable platform .

Bane Hallow The Last Shadow Fiend.
AQW Epic  Post #: 9
11/28/2015 5:33:26   
Foulman

AE should just move on to mobile. Seeing as every browser is phasing out flash, AE should stop trying to make new games after AQ3D and concentrate on somehow making all the old games available. The only solution I can see is if AE makes some sort of high quality flash browser that doesn't lag for people in Australia. Put some kind of IAP for each game in the browser, and it's all good to go. I do have a legitimate way of getting infinite App store money that doesn't involve real money. If you do it full time, 8 hours a day everyday, it's something like 50000 AUD+.
I can't support AE with credit cards, but I could with iTunes money.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 10
11/29/2015 14:09:09   
Elite Tuga

Veteran Feedback:

Reading all the above, saddens me to the point that I wish this was all a bad dream.. so many years playing ED for it to come to this.. IK Flash issues is beyond AE's power but if AE don't convert these good old Flash games like ED to some other Plug-in players, I and many others will feel very upset/annoyed and probably won't return back ever (and this is coming from a loyal fan, which can only be bad for the company if 100's more are out there and think the same way as myself).

I don't really see Artix invest 10's of thousands of $$$ to convert his old Flash games like ED to another if they are planning to make other games like ED 2... I/many guess we will have to give up Epic Duel (although it will be hard) and move on if that doesn't happen, because no-one has time/money to play/invest on a nearby future dead game that is getting road-killed by Flash and mobile games, plus ED 2 being an alternative to replace original ED. That is just confirming that ED has no satisfactory future if such occurs and players start to disappear because of these reasons alone.

Whatever happens I hope in the near future that AE makes good decisions like convert ED from Flash to I.E Web Unity and improve on the games infrastructure (no need to do ED 2, or many will get put off as they will have to start again from scratch and leave great expensive accounts behind, which sucks and disinterests most of us old players).

Good-luck and I won't be returning here until the day I see ED transitioned to a safer Plug-in Game Player that is worth my money and time!
Epic  Post #: 11
12/4/2015 12:37:14   
The berserker killer

Flash dying has nothing to do with the player base/the player pool declining. Actually, the fact that devs believe that is what is causing the player base to decline as they stop giving us the appropriate and weekly updates/releases we ask for. If a game is fun, people will play it. That's the way it is and that is the way it will always be.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 12
12/4/2015 19:43:49   
  Exploding Penguin

It depends on what you mean by "Flash Dying"

Mobile games are a lot more popular now. Flash/browser games aren't. So first off the amount of new players coming in would theoretically be a lot less.

And then we have the series of balance changes which has progressively developed into a pretty flavorless meta that's quite boring and very repetitive right now so players are leaving. ED is getting very few players who are joining fresh and losing a good amount of veterans.
Epic  Post #: 13
12/8/2015 3:44:26   
Teufel Hunden

i truly hope it doesn't disappear, it still has the chance to come back they just need to fix some things but updates and stuff should still go on and this game should keep moving forward. It was insanely fun back in the day and we can bring it back to that :)
AQW Epic  Post #: 14
1/3/2016 13:26:07   
nublustheaerovian

What may occur, I hope, is that the game will go offline for a few months while they transfer it to another plugin or something. I hope so, at least.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition"
"It's not dead, it's resting."
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
1/3/2016 14:58:06   
Therril Oreb
Legendary AdventureGuide!

If there is more news regarding the future of EpicDuel, it will be said by the staff. For now, EpicDuel is not going down and the team will continue putting work into it.
Since 2 weeks time has passed since the last post, I'm going to lock this thread to avoid further necro-bumping. ~Therril Oreb
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Why does flash "dying" means ED have to die along with it?
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition