Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Anime/Manga Recommendation and Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: Anime/Manga Recommendation and Discussion Thread
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/21/2016 20:24:22   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Yūri!!! on Ice was a most magnificent journey.

spoiler:

Pity the ending was so bad... the sacrifice we make for a second season, I suppose.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 76
12/22/2016 13:29:25   
Onyx Darkmatter

The new One Piece chapter definitely opens the door that something BIG will go down in the Wedding...

spoiler:

Remember the 3-eyed woman back in Fishman Island when BM was speaking with Luffy through the Den Den Mushi? Turns out it's Pudding all along, and that the Vinsmoke (including Sanji) and the Straw Hats will get killed during Sanji's wedding. Major conflict incoming!
I mean, this could also mean the Vinsmoke will ally themselves with the Straw Hats to take out Big Mom, and maybe receive something from them to grant Luffy enough strength to take out Big Mom.

That, or the bomb that was sent to Big Mom from Fishman Island will be a blow-out (literally).
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 77
12/22/2016 15:42:26   
ShadowMoon

i wonder if this will also draw the Straw Hat Grand Fleet back into the mix to save the main crew.
it seems like this entire arc is going to draw out sanji's latent powers that didn't awaken when he was a kid
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 78
12/23/2016 0:11:19   
Onyx Darkmatter

More like an arc that will bring in more crucial allies in the fight against the Beast Pirates. That would seem to make sense before entering the Wano Kingdom arc.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 79
12/23/2016 13:07:44   
ShadowMoon

i'd find it funny is big mom ends up trying to make luffy her 44th husband by the end of this.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 80
12/23/2016 21:41:32   
Onyx Darkmatter

I'd find that one creepy tho. It would be a nasty move if you ask me, especially when you can not just consider the massive age difference.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 81
12/28/2016 15:38:33   
ShadowMoon

since when dose a massive age difference mean anything in any anime or manga?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 82
12/28/2016 21:29:58   
Onyx Darkmatter

I don't know, I just find that one disturbing (especially when we don't know much about BM's history). At least with Boa Hancock, it is disturbing, but it's passable.

So JJBA: DiU Anime is finally over. I've got to say, the ending is fantastic.
spoiler:

They've made Kira's death sound even more disturbing than what the Manga portrayed, especially that sound effect when he got ran over by the Hero of the Day: The Ambulance (it's just too damn ironic here; the Ambulance is made to transport people to save their lives. Instead, the Ambulance transported Kira into hell).

Now back at it again with the JJBA Anime Drought.

< Message edited by Onyx Darkmatter -- 12/28/2016 21:31:16 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 83
12/29/2016 16:00:56   
ShadowMoon

well, we don't know how old she is & brook called her a young lady in the latest chapter so she's definitely younger then brook(whose 90 years old).
she has 84 kids, which had to take at least 63 years (62.25 years if Dolce and Dragée are twins) and of course 13 years to get to the human age of reproduction capability. also you have to factor in that she only married each of her husbands for the sake of having her children and nothing more, so i'd estimate her to be about 80 years old
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 84
1/1/2017 3:20:46   
darksampson

Just my quarterly contributions to the thread... which I've been forgetting for a while

Final thoughts on Fall 2016 anime

Jojo Part 4: Not as great as Stardust Crusaders in my opinion, but I feel like this part had the most creative and unique stands. Also the more intimate and personal atmosphere of having the whole series set in a small town. Kira was a cool villain and Josuke was a decent MC, but I my two major gripes of Pt. 4 was the inconsistent animation/change in char design as well as the lack of high stakes and sometimes OP powers (Kira's powers near the end were just crazy)

Yuri!!! on Ice: Not a huge fan of sports shows in general so it was already an uphill battle with this show. It eventually won me over, but I do feel like the first half was much better than the second half. The inconsistent and repeating animations near the end as well as the sequel-bait ending lowered my enjoyment a bit though.

Drifters Loved it. It might just be the Hellsing nostalgia, but this just worked for me on so many levels. Even the whaky historical humor and toned down char designs worked. I just felt like the creators were having a lot of fun with this and every episode just some combination of a blood bath and psychotic characters. Honestly plot and chars were not a huge deal for me I just love how it embraced the violence and absurdity of the situation.

Keijo!!!!!!!! Really stupid, but kinda enjoyable. I think the characters were pretty meh, but overall I had an okay time. Sometimes just seeing the abilities and how seriously they were taking themselves as a sports anime was enough for me to get enjoyment from the show, but a lot of the time I felt like the series was just built on the novelty of the premise.

Flip Flappers So much good in the show. I love the creative aspects of this show. The worlds and creatures. Seems very Ghibli inspired. I think the only downsides I can point to are the SoL and quieter moments at school and just the general archetypes of the two mains. Overall still really enjoyable show with great animation and creativity.

Natsume Yujinchou Go I don't have much to say about this, if you're a fan of the previous seasons you'll enjoy this one. A lot of character growth and really nice heartfelt moments. I wouldn't say it's quite as good as Mushishi, but it is definitely in the same vein.

Fune wo Amu: The sleeper hit/dark horse of the season. More people need to watch this. It's a really solid show about making a dictionary of all things. Similar vibe to Shouwa Genoku as some of the same people were involved.

To be hero Definitely one of the better shorts I have seen. Actually felt like a complete narrative. Kinda like a discount one punch man to be honest, but taking itself even less seriously. I loved the ED theme though lol

Tiger Mask W I'm enjoying this way more than I probably should. A good amount of camp combined with some actually decent fights is a pretty good combination. Like most toei stuff the animation is really inconsistent. I haven't watched the original either so I don't get all the references, but overall I'm having a good time so far, seems like this is gonna be a long runner.

Also some other stuff I really enjoyed this year

Garo Movie: The Divine Flame
Kimi No Na Wa
Kizumonogatari movies
Red Turtle
Empire of Corpses
Harmony
Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai
Cyborg 009 VS Devilman

Also just in case people didn't listen the first 4 or so times I said it, watch Gundam Thunderbolt!

< Message edited by darksampson -- 1/1/2017 18:06:38 >
AQ  Post #: 85
1/7/2017 10:18:20   
ArchMagus Orodalf

Definitely agree with your assessment of Yuri!!!.

I've been hearing such good things about Fune wo Amu... I'll have to watch it.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 86
1/9/2017 14:07:20   
darksampson

^ Yeah I think a lot of people were willing to overlook the weaker second half, cause of how novel and unique the premise was. A lot of my friends actually started skating just cause of Yuri!!! so its had some cultural significance too.

A few first impressions for Winter 2017 shows

Ao no Exorcist 2 Not really much to say seems fairly standard for a shonen. Good job re-introducing most of the important characters though.

Chain Chronicle Pretty decent for fantasy story. The action was pretty decent, not really sure what to expect though. Apparently this is based on a game

Demi-chan wa Kataritai Interesting first episode. I wonder if the biology prof has a thing for the math teacher lol. The pseudo-harem feel is kinda weird though. Not sure if I wanna go through with this one.

Fuuka Actually felt like it had a solid first 2 episodes. Looks like we're in for a lot of love triangle shenanigans

Masamune-kun no Revenge Interesting premise, I can't help but feel like his plan isn't going to work out so well though. We'll see how this goes, but my hopes are not high

Seiren Looks like another anthology style romance, worked pretty well for Amagami so it looks like this is gonna be pretty solid too.

Tales of Zestria s2 Nice animation, but not much else. I've never cared too much for the story to be honest.

Also want to give thanks to whoever on this forum recommended Fire Punch and Goblin Slayer, both were really cool dark seinen manga.

< Message edited by darksampson -- 1/9/2017 22:03:07 >
AQ  Post #: 87
1/9/2017 16:51:48   
Aura Knight

Over the year's I've seen so many anime that it's almost hard to keep track of them all. The last one I finished was 91 Days and it's likely this was already talked about, but it's become one of my favorites. There aren't many anime where I don't skip the intro, but that one was an exception. And I thought the story was great with an ending that can be interpreted in more than one way.

At this time I'm watching the Detective Conan movies since I've somehow caught up with the show. With over 800 episodes, I'm actually surprised I did that. I guess detective anime/mysteries are a favorite of mine. Can't say I hear much about this show, but I think it's one of the best I've seen. Depending on how it actually ends, it may stay among my top 10 of all time.

AQ DF AQW  Post #: 88
1/10/2017 13:31:13   
ShadowMoon

i've got a folders that i use to keep track of what i watched, whats still airing, whats stopped airing that i'm still watching though...
but even then theres a lot that not in the folders from all the years prior to making the folders and since i use folders and txts it barely takes up any space.

also i'm leaving a warning:
don't even bother with mori no yousei: kinoko no musume, its horrid.

< Message edited by ShadowMoon -- 1/10/2017 13:34:10 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 89
1/11/2017 19:45:29   
  toidiedud

Decided to actually join in on the new anime this season. Surprise surprise.

Fuuka was okay, I know how that manga ends up though so ehhh. Spiritpact is very Korean.

What's really good though is ACCA-13. Has a real nice jazzy style and art direction and seems like it's going to be a really solid police procedural drama.
AQ DF  Post #: 90
1/12/2017 12:31:24   
ShadowMoon

i'm only watching Fuuka in hopes that she gets hit by a random vehicle.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 91
1/12/2017 22:01:35   
darksampson

Last few impressions for Winter 2017

ACCA 13: Definitely seems like its gonna be a slow burn, first episode was mostly just set-up for what I hope is a more exciting story later down the line, but yeah they definitely are not in a rush to impress the audience so far. Plus points for the jazzy OST.

KonoSuba s2 Hilarious. Love how they brought up all of the questionable stuff he did in the first season and made him answer for it. This show is really self-aware and really takes advantage of poking fun at itself.

Shouwa Genroku s2: Great start to the second season, hit all the right beats IMO. I'm not sure if it can ever reach the bar that the first season set, but I'm sure it's gonna put up one hell of a fight.

Onihei:
Samurais+Jazz, thats a winning combination right there. The animation was a bit janky at times, but I'm digging the char designs. Looks like its gonna be an episodic type thing so yeah I'm fully down with this.

Little Witch Academia: Looks like a reboot so you don't need to watch the movies before watching this. Vibrant animation, creative world, not much to dislike aside from the characters.

Hand Shakers:
Well isn't this a mixed bag. One one hand *some* of the animation looks amazing... not counting that cgi mess. The backgrounds are stunning too.. just so much detail and the filters and stuff look great. As far as characters and concept... this is yeah. Pretty low effort IMO. We'll see if it can pass the 3 episode test though.

Kuzu no Honaki: I have no idea where this is gonna go... the animaton was nice, but its a highschool series which I'm not a fan of and its romance. Albeit a far more interesting romantic premise this time. This overall doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but I'll see how far I make it with this.

Lastly my rankings on what first impressions for Winter I thought were the best... w.e is not on here I ended up dropping.

1. Shouwa Genroku s2
2. KonoSuba s2
3. Onihei
4. ACCA 13
5. Little Witch Academia
6. Ao no Exorcist 2
7. Tales of Zestria s2
8. Chain Chronicle
9. Fuuka
10. Seiren
11. Demi-chan wa Kataritai
12. Masamune-kun no Revenge
13. Hand Shakers
14. Kuzu no Honaki

Yeah definitely expect me to be dropping a few of these.
AQ  Post #: 92
1/17/2017 22:57:20   
Glais

Diamond is Unbreakable had a beautiful finale.

DF MQ  Post #: 93
1/20/2017 11:18:40   
Randokkotonoshi

Itachi is the best shinobi. That is all.
AQ  Post #: 94
1/20/2017 18:36:58   
fabri17

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon seems like a pretty good comedy. The art is on point, I specially like how the colors in this anime look. The animation is really great, too.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 95
1/22/2017 18:16:36   
Secret1337

quote:

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon seems like a pretty good comedy. The art is on point, I specially like how the colors in this anime look. The animation is really great, too.

Kyoto animation is working on it, soo of course it is. Ever seen Nichijou?
Post #: 96
1/22/2017 19:09:23   
fabri17

I didn't recognize the KyoAni style on it so I was surprised to hear it was them making the show. And I've only seen some clips of Nichijou, maybe I'll watch that soon.
For now... I'm watching S2 of Concrete Revolutio. Man, that anime has great endings.

At this point, finished all of ConRevo... what can I say, some people see it only as a big mess, but I personally REALLY liked it
Also seen Gunbuster and Diebuster. It's kind of funny how both series feel like opposites... Gunbuster feels more personal and objective driven while Diebuster gives a more "grand sceheme of things" feel. Plus Gun seems like a prototype for Evangelion while Die seems like a prototype for Gurren Lagann xD

< Message edited by fabri17 -- 1/29/2017 16:15:22 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 97
2/1/2017 17:56:54   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

KonoSuba anime of the year or anime of all years? Anime of all years. Definitely. :P
AQ AQW  Post #: 98
2/4/2017 10:56:26   
fabri17

The hype for the next One Piece chapter is unreal.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 99
2/4/2017 12:28:23   
  toidiedud

Caught up on my three ongoing manga I'm doing. One Piece, My Hero Academia and The Promised Neverland. Funnily enough all JUMP manga.

One Piece I had to catch up about fifty chapters and its still solid as ever, its going interesting places.

My Hero Academia is still stellar and is in a bit of a "slow" arc right now but its still real good.

The Promised Neverland is the odd one out(in this grouping and JUMP)which if you haven't heard about it it's a relatively new JUMP series(24 chapters in)that's a thriller/mystery series. Its utterly fantastic so far with great writing, superb characters and a great dangling of a mystery just far enough for you to care and not too grand to be unbelievable. Its real good and I hope it continues this quality.

Anime wise the only thing I'm watching this season is ACCA-13 which I also heartily recommend. It's an alternate world country(That's ALL the Europe mashed togehter in interesting ways)where you follow an inspection agency Officer. Its a real good police drama so far and good music.
AQ DF  Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: Anime/Manga Recommendation and Discussion Thread
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition