Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: EpicDuel: Past & Present

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: EpicDuel: Past & Present
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/12/2016 18:46:03   
  Exploding Penguin

quote:

So personally, I don't think the main reason behind the removal of passives was them being mandatory in every build, because if that was the case, energy skills at the moment aren't just mandatory, but also kill variety. At least with passives, there was a little bit of variety and not all classes were energy dependent. Hence making the "mandatory thing" a non-sense.

It's the reason the devs stated when it first happened. Whether or not you believe them is up to you, but it makes sense to me. The big problem with it is that while they were trying to fix it, they just made it worse by replacing it with something that did the exactly same thing to a much more severe degree, as you've already stated with the energy skills.

But nonetheless, that was the initial thinking behind it. To remove mandatory skills from the tree. Unfortunately, the fix was done poorly.
Epic  Post #: 26
9/13/2016 8:16:40   
  Battle Elf
has ten 1v1 wins

Just a quick reminder, that while constructive criticism is allowed, please refrain from simply listing "bad things" that you don't like. If you don't explain your thoughts, no real value is added to this discussion.
AQW Epic  Post #: 27
9/13/2016 8:51:07   
Lord Machaar

quote:

It's the reason the devs stated when it first happened. Whether or not you believe them is up to you, but it makes sense to me.

So it makes sense to you replacing skills that are mandatory, with other skills, that are aslo mandatory?
What makes sense to me is, the devs replaced variable mandatory skills with lookalikes mandatory skills.
"Mandatory" remained. If it was a problem to the devs, it could have been removed. What has changed is uniquity and variety. Which was removed since it caused balance problems that the devs couldn't deal with.
MQ Epic  Post #: 28
9/13/2016 17:51:32   
  Exploding Penguin

You are misunderstanding me. It makes sense to me to remove skills from the tree that are mandatory in pretty much every single build. Following that I explicitly stated that the solution for it was done poorly since it didn't really fix the problem and simply created the exactly same problem in a different form.
Epic  Post #: 29
9/16/2016 10:12:39   
Lord Machaar

You need to look at the whole process, the reasoning and the solution. The reason made sense, the solution doesn't, making the whole process not making sense. If the devs really thought that "skills being mandatory" is a problem, they would have fixed it, no? Therefore I don't think the reason you are agreeing with is the main reason devs removed passives. It's because of the tremendous work such skills require to keep them balanced.
MQ Epic  Post #: 30
9/16/2016 15:19:18   
Gold Shock

I think the biggest issue with the current gameplay regarding passive skills, is that it turned into active skills in a bad way.

If I understand correctly, the point of getting rid of passives was allowing players to use the skill trees in wildly different and creative ways because there would be no "must have" moves. Well, all that seems to have been accomplished was a transition from passive skills to energy skills. To me, the battle length has been inadvertently lengthened. It seems to me that energy moves have become even more vital than the original passives in some respects and further disrupts the gameplay because you can easily have 6 rounds in a 1v1 fight that are purely energy gain/drain moves (not even talking about 2v2 which can sometimes go on forever). I think the impact of energy gain/drain needs to be nerfed? Not to substantial, but not to little.

Do you think the gameplay has been unnecessarily lengthened due to the switch from passives to actives and an emphasis on turn-wasting energy moves?

This change did effect all battle types. Jugg just happens to be the most glaring, obvious, and broken thing of the new Omega battle system. It's a system wide problem, not just juggernaut. If there was a way to look at leaderboard %'s, it would be pretty clear it is broken.

This new system feels a bit complicated for young players, new players and old players who fell in love with the basics Of Epicduel in Beta and Gamma phases.

quote:

The health boosters / packs shouldn't have been removed

I was really surprised when the game went live with boosters disabled.

< Message edited by Gold Shock -- 9/16/2016 19:28:11 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 31
9/16/2016 16:14:31   
  Exploding Penguin

I was an advocate for removing boosters back in the day for a couple of reasons, but not many others were. I'm actually not too certain where the executive decision to remove boosters came from.

The main reason I didn't like it was that supposing you used 2 boosters every game or every 2 games, you would constantly be burning credits for the sake of your win/loss ratio, or progress in faction influence or wars. This felt wrong to me and if they were mandatory which they kind of were, then why not make the "free?" The supposed replacement for them is the generator core for armors, which in my opinion was a good fix despite how much I don't like cores.

The secondary reason I didn't support having boosters is that they benefit certain builds more than others. They also covered up pretty big faults in some builds and let a lot of builds rise up to power. For example, back in the dominant days of BH massacre builds, if you tried to take away their energy you didn't deal enough damage to stop them and they would double energy booster and massacre you anyways for the win. That was one of the build's main flaws and it had way too easy of a "fix" for it by using boosters as a crutch. Same goes for several other builds, some which also used health boosters to turn stall and outlast opponents.

Now that we have an extremely cyclical battle system where every class can regenerate/steal energy and we also have generator, boosters have an awkward spot in battles and aren't really needed anymore as they would rarely see use. You need a lot of impact per turn while playing ED now and, before, since BH lacked energy regeneration energy boosters were extremely impactful and helpful. Now, since they have a way to regain it back, boosters aren't nearly as essential and people would rather opt to use other moves instead like generator or dealing damage. Maybe removing boosters was in preparation for the passive to active change then?
Epic  Post #: 32
9/17/2016 9:24:43   
Xendran

Boosters were a credit sink that punished you for not having enough to sink, rather than keeping credit amounts from getting exceedingly high.
Retraining also shares this issue, it punishes you for experimentation, and both systems punished you if you ran out of credits by forcing you to either:
Play in a way you find is not fun (by using a bad build, or not having access to your full hp/energy pool)
or
Stop engaging in pvp temporarily.

These things happen exceedingly often unless you either already have a solid level-cap build, or buy varium AND farm NPCs.
The retrain cost is actually something that hurts player retention as much as the balance. When I introduced people to this game, they quickly ran out of credits while experimenting and trying to learn how the game works.
They were then forced into either constantly losing or fighting boring NPCs, so they quit the game and moved onto something else since they don't have anything invested in ED.
Friends who made it higher in levels then had the booster costs shoved onto them, which often pushed them to not bother because of how grindy the game feels.
Combine this with the fact that level 1-40 is essentially a tutorial, and it takes a huge amount of time to get to what people consider the real game. (Consider how long it takes for you to get your base cards in hearthstone)

Why would you want the player to make that choice? Especially as a result of a system that discourages you from creating original builds (handmade builds require large numbers of tweaks to get your stats minmaxed correctly. Finding out you could really use another 20 energy, or dropping a skill point, etc.).

Removing boosters was a step in the right direction of improper credit sinks.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 9/17/2016 9:27:39 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 33
9/17/2016 23:49:38   
Cyber Dream

quote:

Removing boosters was a step in the right direction of improper credit sinks.

Imo, they should've been available whenever the match starts for free. That would've fixed the credit sink problem. It also could've been limited to juggs only. Who knows what path passives/acitves might have took if this would've happened. But still, the devs seem to rid things that are a necessity for a pvp build which makes no sense since we are currently in a time where energy gaining/taking skills exists within every class and you're pretty much useless without them.

SN: I always said the downfall of ED would be because of changes that weren't discussed with players, what else have we predicted will come to reality?
AQW Epic  Post #: 34
9/18/2016 5:23:20   
Satafou

I found boosters to be quite good for the game, perhaps it was because if someone critted me or whatnot i could use a hp booster that they may or may not of had to make up for that crit. Although i must admit i was spending god knows how much credits on them.

Also the game's downfall isn't because the devs don't listen to players. Many players suggest horrid balance ideas on these forums and unfortunately some of them were listened to. The game's downfall is due to the devs simply not caring about ED like they once did, they see no future for ED and think along the lines of it being a waste of effort to even try to fix the game.
Post #: 35
9/18/2016 6:59:29   
Xendran

EDIT: I'm sorry for yet another wall of text from me guys, I swear this post was a third of the size before I started editing it.

I guess I can't help but turn these posts about games into pseudo-essays because of how much of a large portion of my free time I spend studying game design and applying it to my own projects. Sometimes when I'm writing these textwalls I gain some new insight about why things are the way they are, so I guess that's handy.
There's so much detail to go over with the history and design of this game after spending over half a decade playing, deconstructing, and analyzing everything about EpicDuel.

TL;DR: No longer having a promise of improvement is the truest killer, more than anything else. More than lack of community involvement, more than however much they do or do not care about the game.
We loved beta because every week it was better than the last, so we were able to focus on the fun aspects, because any issues taking away from the fun were expected to be fixed.
Today, we have the same broken core mechanics, just with a shiny coat of Omega paint and a near-guarantee that none of the problems with the game are going to ever be fixed.

Unfortunately, the issue of improvement could have been avoided if the game systems were designed in a cohesive manner that allowed focus to go into adding new skills to increase variety, instead of constantly applying bandaids over and over and over to broken systems (rage, focus, agility, homogenization of resource generation, skills that are strictly better than others because the *class* is weak otherwise, etc.). This would have greatly extended the lifespan of the game.

--------------

@Satofu: That's an example of what i mean by it being a bad credit sink. Boosters were a fine addition as a concept and item, and they added to the battle, but any time you didn't have them you felt like you were not actually playing your build properly.
This leads to the situation before where players have to choose to either lose far more than usual to get their credits back, or stop playing the real game to go fight boring AI oppponents and get credits back.

A good credit sink is the exact opposite: There's something that's an addition or enhancement to the base play that you want to do, but drains your credits.
How do you get more credits when the sink drains you? Actually playing the game. PVP. With your real build at full power.

Now if we were assuming the game wasn't dead and this battle mode wasn't broken beyond belief, Juggernaut is a perfect example of a missed opportunity for a credit sink.
Think is they ALMOST got it.
Make silver skull cards cost way less, but be consumable. Then add rewards specific to juggernaut mode.
Boom, credit sink. You want those exclusive rewards? Play juggernaut.
Ran out of credits to play Juggernaut? Play 1v1 or 2v2.

There's no encouragement for you to stop playing the game here, like there is with other sinks that ED has had.
--------------

Honestly far more than either of those (community feedback or care) , it's because EpicDuel does not have a game designer on their team.
Design is a specific and intense role, completely separated from artist and programmer. One that requires you to spend your time actively learning and continuing to improve on it.
It's a role just as intensive as programmer, and just as vital because a bad game will fail the same way a broken one does.
One that ED's devs do not have the time to dedicate an equal amount of time to as their "main" role. Then to further muddy things up, this role is being further split between team members.
This inherently means gameplay comes last, regardless of the intentions of the creators.
Their skillsets prioritize every other aspect of the game, which is why epicduel looks fantastic and is programmed wonderfully for a flash game, but is dead regardless.
That's also why the artwork and coding has improved so much over the years. ESPECIALLY the security. Epicduel was horrendously unsecure and trusted the client for an insane amount of things including attacking without the server checking whether or not it was your turn back in beta. Now, the artwork and coding is great because they've spent all their time working on improving those skills. The gameplay has only felt worse and worse over the years, because their game design knowledge has not been an actively developed skill.
That has stayed the same, and our expectations of what makes a good game have only gone up. There are a lot of problems that we didn't care about back in the day because the game was enjoyable, and held the promise of "the broken parts will get fixed", so we looked past the issues and focused on enjoying what we had.

Combine this with what appears to be no real cohesive set of standards in regards to "What makes a class", "What makes a skill", "What is HP worth compared to EP", "How much access does Build X have to tools A B and C compared to other classes" etc. and of course we have an inconsistent feeling of battle. There's this mishmash of skills designed aruond different standards, mechanics that exist only to balance out another broken one instead of fixing the original problem (Rage. Literally the only reason this stat exists is because raising flat defense values like you do in this game is broken by design), and formulas behind the numbers make no real sense as to why they are the way they are.

Now take all of that, which already is asking for a game to inevitably die, and add to it a battle experience where every single instance of RNG in the entire game is so strong that the most common outcome of a single instance of RNG occuring automatically swings the match to a nearly unwinnable state. There are core design philosophies and decisions behind ED that very clearly show this lack of having a designer on their team. Even extremely basic things like how multipliers in this game are in the wrong place in the forumula (unless it is intentionally imbalanced). Things that cannot be fixed without redesigning the entire system because of the way it would affect the game upon being changed.
It doesn't matter how much you do or don't care about something if you simply do not have a person available with the qualifications and skillset to design it correctly.

When I think of a concise way to put all of this, the problem with Epicduel's Past & Present is that: The present is the past, with all the same problems it brought. It just has a shiny coat of Omega paint.

We loved the past under the assumption that it would keep getting better, and that existing issues would be fixed. That confidence that anything serious broken will get fixed in the future makes it far easier to look past problems, because you knew it was just a temporary thing. You were focused on the good parts, since the bad parts are gonna be taken care of... Then we found out it wasn't temporary.
I recently came back onto ED for about a week, and took another serious analytical look specifically at how the game feels to play, ignoring the community aspect. It feels like beta.
I'm not kidding at all, and you know that I was a super hardcore beta player. I'm not just saying this as someone who just joined the game being like "nah man game is just like it was back then".
Really though, the way i was designing my builds was far more reminiscent of beta than any other phase, especially with the maxing of "New Passives" (skills that generate more resources than they consume).

A lot of you say you want to go back to beta.
Tell me an update version of beta you specifically want, and, in terms of raw game quality, why that beta update is a better pick than the other update versions of beta, or today's version of omega.
It's not gonna fix your RNG, it's not going to fix your build diversity, it's not gonna fix your class imbalance and it's not gonna fix your core design having inherently broken aspects.
We loved beta because it was always getting better, it was being tweaked to give us a better experience each week. THAT is why we loved beta. That is why we cannot look over the exact same flaws in Omega that we were able to happily push aside in Beta.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 9/18/2016 13:02:27 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 36
9/18/2016 17:28:42   
Gold Shock

quote:

Lack of a game designer combined with no longer having a promise of improvement is the true killer, more than anything else. More than lack of community involvement, more than however much they do or do not care about the game.

Addressing community involvement---

After numerous years of various phases and modes "evolving". The Staff should really consider creating a PTR (Player Test Realm) server. Active Founder/Beta players, who have the most actual "in game" battle experience, should be asked first. *Clears throat* "Xendran". This could and should be used to the game's advantage. Having a place where players who have helped build and establish this game and know it's history, where they could HELP; spend time actually testing new battle modes and providing the Staff feedback... BEFORE a new phase or battle mode launches, it should not go LIVE with so many potential problems; like an unfinished product.

I don't want to overly attack the current testers, but they obviously did a mediocre job at best; not anticipating some glaring problems that everyone is currently experiencing. In their defense, the testing pool is very small, and does NOT in any way represent the vast skills, battle styles and view points of the Ed community.

I understand, it's too late now, but considering this (PTR) for the future, would be wise and in everyone's best interest.

There are many players like myself, who have been here for years, and would be willing to help for free. Let me say again, FREE!!!

Long time paying customers and newer players should not have to experience this again and again. These constant adjustments and "Trial & Error" ways. So here we are in the present, against our will (so to speak), to test it anyways, at the expense of our records, our credits and our varium.

Let us hope that the Staff makes this update worth the wait. We can hope that this will bring positive changes to both the game, it's players AND the Staff.

< Message edited by Gold Shock -- 9/18/2016 17:30:29 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 37
9/18/2016 18:40:40   
One Winged Angel1357

PTR is always a good thought but it's been stated more than once that EpicDuel team hasn't been allotted the resources to actually run a PTR. That advantage exists for AQW because of how extensive their team is and if you need further proof of that just look at their paid staff versus the EpicDuel teams paid staff.

It would be great if they were able to finish the sandbox tools and bring Mecha on full time as a paid balance lead due his experience with that system already being leagues beyond that of anyone else. But looking at AE's past support of EpicDuel team I see that as little more than a pipe dream.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 38
9/19/2016 21:32:04   
Cyber Dream

quote:

There are many players like myself, who have been here for years, and would be willing to help for free. Let me say again, FREE!!!

I'll gladly help for free. That's how much love I have for ED and it's future.
AQW Epic  Post #: 39
9/20/2016 9:58:43   
One Winged Angel1357

So here is a little fun bit of knowledge for people who want to help.

You get ten hours a week. This is a rule place because you are not getting paid so devoting large amounts of time is in no way helpful to you. If you ever need reminder for why this rule exists take a look at Ash's exit letter.

If you are on the balance or testing team you are either waiting on the developers to make changes/testing what can currently be modified by the balance tools, which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of what needs fixing, or you are waiting for metrics on the previous changes to come in. Rapid fire changes do not produce accurate results because the meta has to reset for accurate information on what's under and over preforming to come about.

The community is always smarter than you. Once you have worked out all of the kinks and fixed all of the bugs the community will find things you never imagined.

You most likely can't join the balance team because that requires a lot of training from Mecha on how to use the balance tools. Testers do work on balance testing and can give feedback but only people trained to use the tool can directly change some of the games functions.

And last but not least wanting to help doesn't mean there is an opening for help. Supply and demand. If the demand for work being done by the testing team isn't a burden due to too few members it is very unlikely that they will open up applications. Also due to the fact that all volunteers are under the AE NDA applications always open internally first so they don't have to run more people through the NDA.

There are many features wanted by the community and even the developers that aren't possible on the flash engine. Most of them relate to just how hard it is to run security on flash games. Once you get past the features you have the glaring gameplay issues that you would expect from a core gameplay system that is ten years old and you would need a massive game engine overhaul to properly address.

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 9/20/2016 11:14:17 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 40
9/20/2016 21:53:51   
Cyber Dream

Is it possible to open a test server where each tester has access to this tool you speak off. Just imagine players in a PTS using builds/classes they altered themselves with the tool. But im pretty sure they're flaws that would could with this feature which im overlooking? Mecha wouldn't even have to train anyone. Just make a detailed post on what the tool is and how to use it.
AQW Epic  Post #: 41
9/20/2016 22:53:54   
One Winged Angel1357

Most likely not. If it was a finished tool then you might be able to see a version of it given out in like a creation kit if that is a route the developers wish to pursue but it is very unlikely
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 42
9/21/2016 12:36:31   
8x

@Cyber Dream
I'm pretty sure it would be chaos. I could be wrong here, but I think the tool affects the whole test server and not just your character. If you change something, you also have to put it back to how it was after you are finished.
Epic  Post #: 43
9/21/2016 23:02:52   
Cyber Dream

but doesn't aqw test sever have a feature similar to this but with weapons/classes. They let you test things but it goes away once you log out. Why can't they come together to develop a feature similar for ed but with stats and stuff included. Im just saying, there is alot of steps we could take to help improve balance and help test new features before they prove to be game killers. I don't see how this would make anything worse. But like I said, if im overlooking any problems that may occur from this then let me know because I can't think of any.
AQW Epic  Post #: 44
9/22/2016 11:27:03   
One Winged Angel1357

Most PvP games look at major trends to figure out what is actually going on in terms of balance. If you had testing where everyone wasn't using the same ruleset then the data being produced for what is over preforming and what is under performing would be meaningless.

AQW is primarily a mob grinding game so when you are trying to balance what will turn into a solo adventure you can have everyone using different setups because you are just looking for the one solo setup that works.

Scattershot methods work for solo games whereas you need to be a lot more precise with multiplayer games. If at all possible cast your mind back to before there was a balance team in EpicDuel and most balance changes ended up completely crippling a class. These changes predate the back end systems to track what's going on in game and just used the scattershot from the forums balance section. Following the introduction of back end systems as well as moving the balance research to a separate team that works with the coders we've had a lot less class destroying updates.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 45
9/22/2016 13:43:55   
Xendran

Why focus on current balance tracking tools either way though?
Something to remember: These tools clearly have not worked. Look at the game.

A set of balance tools should be providing far greater quality than just fewer class destroying updates.
PTR is a good idea in theory to players. I used to be in favor of this, but after all of the things I've learned in my studies and projects with game design over the years, it's no longer something that I'd support in a game specifically like EpicDuel.
An alpha realm where updates are pushed and tested beforehand with changes made by the developers is the better option by far.

1. First and foremost, a PTR with tools is useless because you can't track anything when people are not using the same standards, and it is both inaccurate and a waste of time to try to correct for these variables after the fact.
2. You split the playerbase.
3. Because of the playerbase split, PTR gives you noisy and incorrect information about the meta due to having two separate sets of players. Especially since the PTR does not have the same ruleset in place. You only know how your changes are working on your PTR community, not how they affect the game globally. This issue also exists in a closed realm, but is mitigated much more by picking community members who are known for accurate judgements of the game state and high quailty feedback.
4. It sets up incorrect expectations that all changes to the game will first go through the PTR. Changes that bypass the PTR will cause unnecessary backlash on the forums.
5. It very easily sets up incorrect expectations about receiving content that may never make it past testing.
6. This is a pvp game, and by nature only fights at level cap when characters have their full toolset truly mean anything. However, the levelling experience must also be taken into consideration. This means you have to give players control over their level, which makes players lose incentive to level up. You'd be surprised at how many people would be willing to put up with the PTR just being 'how the game is', since it has all the latest features and lets them skip levelling.

A hand picked team of players who have shown themselves to be both knowledgeable and good at giving feedback is the only feasible way for ED to handle things. Effectively, a Closed Testing Realm. Thing is, this only applies if they have a dedicated designer to read all of their feedback and discuss all related content with them, as well as being able to iterate effectively.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 9/22/2016 17:00:24 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 46
9/22/2016 14:06:50   
Satafou

@Xendran Nailed it on the dot.

< Message edited by Satafou -- 9/22/2016 14:07:04 >
Post #: 47
9/22/2016 14:13:08   
  Battle Elf
has ten 1v1 wins

quote:

A hand picked team of players who have shown themselves to be both knowledgeable and good at giving feedback is the only feasible way for ED to handle things. Effectively, a Closed Testing Realm. Thing is, this only applies if they have a dedicated designer to read all of their feedback and discuss all related content with them, as well as being able to iterate effectively.

This is the system we currently use, albeit very understaffed. There are pages of discussion between testers on how to improve Juggernaut, but we're lacking staff on both ends to make these updates. I'd expect that once the BioBeasts project is completed, there's gonna be changes to improve the games longevity, before a new project is started.

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 9/22/2016 14:16:25 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 48
10/8/2016 20:16:39   
Petroslav

I joined the game in 2011. I have always been a fan of 2D low specs MMORPGs. What I liked about Epic Duel was the chance to play without limits. What I mean by this is I wasn't restricted by mandatory missions or a mandatory path I had to take. The only thing I had to do was pick a class and name and then start doing whatever I want.

It was fun working on different builds and searching for good weapons and gear. I think back then the classes (only 3) were better balanced than now. I was away for a very long time and I came back 2 days ago to find out a lot of new things (such as new classes, new skills, new energy requirements for skills, and so on), most of them bad, according to me. Many skills and builds now are super overpowered. And I don't see why they changed some well done things from the past: For example, achievements used to be purchased with battle tokens that you earn by winning PvPs. Now you pay with credits.

Since I came back I figured out that my mercenary turned out to be completely useless now. So I experimented with many builds and I found out that the whole battle system changed dramatically, reducing to 2 round lasting fights. Most people seem to run one trick pony types of builds that either rely on one strong attack or healing themselves forever while depleting your energy. This as opposed to the old school attempt to create a balanced build.

I assume these and other things lead to the servers getting low number of players. When I was active years ago there were a few servers with a few worlds each. There were about 2000-3000 players at most points of time during the day. Now I end up fighting the same 3-4 people all day long because there are 180 people playing in total.

Most people I fight call me noob and laugh at me, one of them described my build as odd. I don't care, I play to enjoy myself and I stick to my old style trying to run a build that is balanced and useful in NPC fights, 1v1 and 2v2 at the same time. Today I accumulated more losses than the first 6 months of playing when my record was around 600-20 (1v1). After 1 year of playing I was about 1500-200. Today I was beaten 30 times in 1v1. Oh, well. I will keep looking for my way and try to improve without changing my class. I don't see myself playing with other than mercenary, lol.
Post #: 49
10/12/2016 9:43:59   
Gold Shock

@Petroslav (Good to see an Old school Merc) Your post summarizes my whole experience with Mercenary leading up to Omega. You have to "Pay up" and change class at this point.

quote:

Today I accumulated more losses than the first 6 months of playing when my record was around 600-20 (1v1). After 1 year of playing I was about 1500-200.

The Mercenary we saw in Beta, compared to present day Omega; is admissible . To give you some context on my situation & how it relates to yours here are some pictures.
Beta/Delta

Roughly a 88% 1v1 record to a 68% in Omega

Omega

My summation of the class: useless comes to mind unless you want to just play a smash or burn style, the strategic style of play is very dull.. So much for the class description :p . Mercenary has returned to how it was before omega: Only very smart, very old players can use it effectively. And when I say "effective" that is not saying much. That is only around a 60-65 winning %. Like you, I just get killed time and time again, the players think it's great beating me thou! Makes someone happy I guess. Mercenary is back into it's customary position dating back to start of Delta, bottom of the food chain.

quote:

Since I came back I figured out that my mercenary turned out to be completely useless now

Hit the nail on the head. This has led to bad player retention in terms of any oldie who made an attempt to return. The games mechanics have changed extensively for the worse and be fore warned: Your record from Beta that your worked hard on will drop significantly. Like I said in my OP, the game use to be Raw & Simple with 3 classes that were far more balanced than today's 6...

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: EpicDuel: Past & Present
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition