Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Is MechQuest being updated?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> Is MechQuest being updated?
Page 1 of 41234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/30/2017 17:58:44   
Anikitos

I had been playing it a little while but havent seen any announcements regarding new updated implemented or new updates being planned. Seems the most fun game on Artix site so far(yes I checked a little bit on all) and having a lot of fun but its concerning I see no news around it from its developer

FAQ'd! ~golden

< Message edited by golden1231 -- 3/30/2017 17:58:44 >
Post #: 1
9/14/2016 6:09:04   
elite dark slayer

Ah... to all intents and purposes, mechquest is dead.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 2
9/14/2016 7:28:35   
Anikitos

I see and yet this is posted in About part of the games webpage at http://www.mechquest.com/mq-about.asp

Always Growing and getting Better
Create your pilot and explore our ever expanding universe with new equipment, storylines, special events, and new planets as they are added in our regular updates. MechQuest is in non-stop ongoing development! As you read this now we are working on new mecha types, weapons, features and server-wide events for you. Join your fellow Mecha Pilots on our forums and tell us what you would like to see next. Get involved and help shape the direction of MechQuest as we make it better together with every new release!
Post #: 3
9/14/2016 7:52:21   
Shiny_Underpants

Well, that was true until Ashendal, the last coder, quit.
It would take a coder to remove that notice.

AE is understaffed. Their coffers don't seem excessively full; atm they're making a game with 12 staff, and funding it with 400k.
That's not a great salary...

To revive Mechquest would involve making it worth the staff's time, which would take a massive initiative from the community. But alas, we all have lives...
DF MQ  Post #: 4
9/14/2016 7:56:34   
elite dark slayer

Wait... twelve?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
9/14/2016 8:28:16   
Shiny_Underpants

^ish. I vaguely remember it being between 12 and 14. Cysero posted something about it on social media.
I've forgotten where.
DF MQ  Post #: 6
9/14/2016 16:21:00   
Anikitos

I see, its a shame since it looks to be a great game with potential. But isnt that approach hurting them in the long run too? I mean they should be giving incetive for people to spend on it(and their other games). Also I dont really understand, when understaffed, usually companies try to improve and raise fanbase on existing games, rather than make new ones. Else you end up having too many games but maintaining none well enough for people to stay on and spend on. Making something new is like doing an investment in your business to expand on some other areas. You do that when you got excess funds and personnel.
Post #: 7
9/15/2016 1:18:29   
Lucifernos24

the thing about them making a new game however, is because sooner than later, flash based games will be impossible because almost everything is pulling out of flash. what AE is doing is trying the waters by building a game that won't essentially be impossible to update when flash is no more. Unless they can find a way to effectively import all of their games to html5, their flash based games will one day end development. They will never be taken down as long as they are still playable, AE has stated that already, but the day that flash is no longer existent, is the day that updates will stop. So they HAVE to build new games that will be able to receive updates, which is why they put so much stress on mobile apps and AQ3D, which will also be able to played on Steam and on Mobile devices.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 8
9/15/2016 2:19:03   
Anikitos

The thing is we heard for flash over flash games a long time(personally heard it first on late 2011) and I am pretty sure flash updates may slow down hard but flash will never die out. I also play other major flash games at times, example Dofus, and they dont really worry about it. Being a bit older than average I also remember similar talks for java games many years ago and java games are still there, some are even 3D(I can name at least 5 with a healthy fan base that I check from time to time), just they werent the dominant(aka not most popular among developers) way to build browser based games anymore. The true reason I may think of, is the mobile market, while erratic, you can charge a game only 3-5 usd and easily sell 20k+ copies till a game gets old with minimal cost since we are talking basically for mini games, however in the long run you cant keep a fan base in that market with all the negatives that come with it, most importantly due to the erratic curve of life of games on mobiles you can hardly keep permanent staff members for a game series, cause after a few months the income will not be sufficient and you will need to develop another mobile game for them to keep working
Post #: 9
9/16/2016 11:46:24   
Roxas45

Could the staff reading this (Cos I know you guys still care about the games, and are bound by silence to not reply and such) tell us what kind of people you actually need?

I'm currently working in engineering and I have a tonne of friends who are working with animation, computer science, and so on, as a part of their cirriculum and degree.

So... Throw us a bone here. Maybe we can help? Maybe we can get (Arguably) the best of all AE games, back on track, and OUT of the time lock it seems to be stuck in.

Maegwyn, Lyris, ANYONE. Please?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
9/16/2016 18:41:55   
sudz16

He's dead Jim, and unlike Spock it ain't coming back.

Fun game and truly the most unique AQ game of the bunch but got understaffed quite early in its life when AQW came about and only dwindled in staff from there.

At this point I wish they'd at least update it where all the holiday events and possibly a few past rare events were replayable. Doesn't really matter about rare items at this point
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 11
9/17/2016 5:38:09   
Shiny_Underpants

quote:

~original: sudz16
He's dead Jim, and unlike Spock it ain't coming back.

Is that... a challenge...

@Roxas
MQ as it is would need, first and foremost, a coder.

Remaking MQ as a new project (game/animation/other) could be done. The game has enough of a following that a new release wouldn't necessarily be a flop.
And it comes with a certain level of exposure automatically, by dint of being AE.

Mechquest had problems; it wasn't a game for a casual playerbase.
I played it (obviously) quite a few years ago, and had forgotten a lot of it. But coming back years later, and analyzing it, unlocking each area was a grind; too many levels, too many long battles.
Continuing the development with no casual market wouldn't be that effective.

The 3D initiative is interesting, though. It flopped, but it's still a potential start. The assets from the game are still kicking around, gathering dust (I'm not sure how many they ended up making).

I'm currently beginning to work on what could end up as a 3D animation thing. But it's original, a spare time thing, and I have no method of advertising.
If there were, say, a reward guaranteed for the team that revived MQ, well, that'd almost count as a commission. Certainly enough to break my fanfic rule...
And also a more reliable project than my current one, in terms of fanbase and future career. I'm kind of unguided atm.

So, I'd be happy to help with something like that, as a writer/artist/animator (descending order of my skills).
Perhaps try directly contacting the staff or Artix to ask about that bone?
And PM me if you have any interest in this, or questions. Or especially if you get a result.

< Message edited by Shiny_Underpants -- 9/17/2016 5:39:45 >
DF MQ  Post #: 12
9/19/2016 11:15:22   
Roxas45

@Shiny.

MQ needs a coder. Im the kind of idiot who tried to teach himself game making via Unreal engine, because I was bored. Before my ridiculous schedule kicked in and I got kicked in the face with 8-8 classes all days of the week...
But... There be other idiots and freaks like me, who are interested in things like this.

Im planning on teaching myself Python and Unity later. Sometime when things quieten down or something.

So... again. Any Staff members. Bone please.
What language are you primarily working with currently?
and Would you be amicable to switching to something new/old/borrowed/blue as well in the shape and form of Unreal Engine and related? (UE Unfortunately has a clause that 5% of the profits go to them mandatory. May be an issue considering you need funds to keep the games running.)

I know for a fact that UE actually works with 2D, 2.5D and 3D games.
Think....
Borderlands 2, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite, and...

Holy crap... Did some research while posting and they're making Kingdom Hearts 3 with UE4. O_O

Ahem... Back to the point...

Its possible.

But. We need a Bone.
or a pass. or something...

And question... How come AE doesnt do internships and all? Dead serious question. Staff... anyone?
Coders from the other games can teach, and we can then go and work as interns for the game of our own choice.

All the above, meant in a pleasant form, and working under the assumption that Coders are the main need for this game base revival.

All else asides, Im also ready to help with the writing work.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 13
9/19/2016 23:59:32   
Shiny_Underpants

Well, a revival doesn't have to start with a game (or the pre-existing game). Sure, it's best as a game, but promotion for a concept of something ensures a market. And once a market is ensured, it becomes cost effective to hire more people. Including coders.
Even a comic might work, but alas, there isn't really a niche market for comics.

I suspect if we're going full revival, then another game on a different engine than the one they're using would be better (given that flash is dying).
MQ wanted to go 3D. AE is now making a 3D game, complete with its own engine. Depending on how we go about this, creating 3D assets could be used to make both animations (no coding), and then once coding becomes viable, those assets could be reused for the game.

Hey, I started teaching myself animation when I was 14.
Didn't do too much with it after that, though...

Just speculating how this might work. I have to say, Flash does give the games a distinctive look to it.

AE is currently fairly understaffed, which would be why they don't do internships. That's what gives me the impression that it would be... more beneficial to start something that pays itself off, with the reward at the end...
DF MQ  Post #: 14
9/22/2016 17:52:38   
Rio3678

You know, I have some coding skills of my own with Action Script and Flash. And I was always hoping to join AE once I finished my game dev major in college. I'd be willing to even help with MQ for free if payment is an issue (part of the reason Ash left, he was a volunteer and was doing 80-90 hours of work a week for free), but yeah, MQ was the first AE game I truly got into (until I ran out of stuff to do after catching up and then actually learned how DF was supposed to work), so MQ holds a Nostalgic place in me heart.

Master of Light and Darkness
Rio Skyron
with Bianca, my blade of Destiny
theme song
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
9/23/2016 2:30:45   
Shiny_Underpants

^Action Script and Flash are both doomed, though.
While it would certainly be beneficial, MQ would still die with Flash pretty soon.

Do you know anything about coding in 3D? (I'm a bit stuck on 3D, since it seems to be the direction AE is heading, and it ties in with some of my skills).
It's possible that we could borrow the engine AQ3D is being made on, since a lot of the time-consuming, technical work has already been done. Altering something that already exists is often easier.

Also, have you covered any other languages? Even something that is 2D, and not doomed, like @Roxas45's example of UE.

I think that from a marketing point of view, a second game will be far better than simply continuing work on the current one. Especially since the platform it is run on is doomed.
Part of the problem with the original was all the grinding to get through each area. It would put new players off, provided they even took notice of the game (and there currently aren't enough players to support the game).

In any case, we currently have the baseline requirement of writers, a coder, and at least one (slightly mediocre) artist.
(I have to admit, I'm far more confident/competent as a writer than anything else).

Next is the details and organisation, (and working out whether this will actually be viable).
DF MQ  Post #: 16
9/26/2016 10:55:02   
Roxas45

It would be a great help if any of the staff would care to comment...

If they can.
Or if they cant, tell us that they cant?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 17
9/26/2016 19:00:34   
Rio3678

quote:

^Action Script and Flash are both doomed, though.

DF and MQ still use those to my understanding, and that's what I'm using in the current programming class I'm taking.
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
9/27/2016 2:39:58   
Rorshach

The Question
(AQ Sugg)

Potential MQ Full-time Coder perhaps?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
9/29/2016 1:54:16   
  Loremaster Maya
Lab Lore Recorder

Alina answering as LoreMaster Maya

Thanks for pointing out that the web page needs changing. I'll speak with Miko about that tomorrow (our game and web coders are different, so we can make necessary changes to the sites without issue).

(None of this information is new, but it might be new to you! So you've got the questions. Here are some answers.)

quote:

What language are you primarily working with currently?

Our 3D/mobile games are made in Unity.

quote:

and Would you be amicable to switching to something new/old/borrowed/blue as well in the shape and form of Unreal Engine and related? (UE Unfortunately has a clause that 5% of the profits go to them mandatory. May be an issue considering you need funds to keep the games running.)

At this time, we'd want to stay with Unity.

quote:

And question... How come AE doesnt do internships and all? Dead serious question. Staff... anyone?
Coders from the other games can teach, and we can then go and work as interns for the game of our own choice.

It's very rare that we take internships these days, for a couple reasons:
  • A few years back, regulations for internships changed. That's affected a number of companies and industries.
  • In order to stay within those regulations, the internship needs to be entirely for the benefit of the student, and needs to be much more an "educational experience."

We need to focus the majority of our developers' time and attention on building the games. That leaves less time for teaching, unfortunately.

quote:

I'm currently beginning to work on what could end up as a 3D animation thing. But it's original, a spare time thing, and I have no method of advertising.
    If there were, say, a reward guaranteed for the team that revived MQ, well, that'd almost count as a commission. Certainly enough to break my fanfic rule...
    And also a more reliable project than my current one, in terms of fanbase and future career. I'm kind of unguided atm.

Please feel free to send your animation my way if/when you finish it. I'd be happy to take a look. @Alina_AE on Twitter or email: alina@battleon.com

quote:

I think that from a marketing point of view, a second game will be far better than simply continuing work on the current one. Especially since the platform it is run on is doomed.

That's almost a certainty, given how much the industry has changed. We've discussed options for our web games going forward, and Artix has mentioned that we would love to make new versions of MechQuest, DragonFable, and our other games in the future. For that, we need to finish the server rewrite and create a working engine for an AdventureQuest Worlds: Mobile. That would be designed in a way that would allow us to use it for multiple projects.

quote:

but promotion for a concept of something ensures a market. And once a market is ensured, it becomes cost effective to hire more people. Including coders.

The problem here comes in when you do the cost/benefits analysis. (We're getting into the 4th wall breaking, much less fun stuff... but you guys are asking real questions and deserve real answers). The cost of marketing and promotion these days far outweighs the potential gains. The most cost effective way to get new players onto MechQuest is by word of mouth and grass-roots promoting -- that's the game's fans going and telling their friends and anyone else they think might enjoy the game to play it.

Cysero posted some information on these topics a year or two ago, but they still hold true.
    Life's Blood
    Money

< Message edited by Loremaster Maya -- 9/29/2016 2:05:10 >
  • Post #: 20
    10/5/2016 0:56:03   
    Shiny_Underpants

Thank you very much Alina Loremaster Maya. And now, since you've answered pretty much all our questions, I shall plague you with more.

With the promotion thing, I actually meant fan-based promotion.
    i.e. people do stuff (for free), it gets limited exposure from the AE fanbase, who help promote it to a wider audience, if it's good enough. Then coders are affordable because a wider audience is secured (alas, it sounds so good in theory).
    But of course, those methods could only work if it ties into a greater overall plan.

quote:

For that, we need to finish the server rewrite and create a working engine for an AdventureQuest Worlds: Mobile. That would be designed in a way that would allow us to use it for multiple projects.

I'm guessing this engine would have 3D functionality, as Unity does?
    When do you expect to finish the rewrite+working engine? Will the Unity coding system be implemented in the game engine?

And... there is one question that those posts of Cysero raised. All the AE games seem to take an awful lot of money to maintain, due to bandwidth cost. Since AE isn't quite rich enough to buy out a telecommunications company, it doesn't look likely that these running costs will change anytime soon (telcos pay virtually nothing for bandwidth, in case anyone is wondering).
    So, if you have a small number of games (say, just AQ and DF), running costs of those sort aren't too much of a problem. The more games you make, the greater the dent it makes on profits.
    So, the logical next step would be to make a game that isn't based online- a singleplayer game. AE started off making singleplayer games, even MQ was one.
    It just seems to me that singleplayer games don't create a drain over time if they flop. Of course, this isn't strictly true- but the losses don't stretch out over time.

And thank you! I shall send you the animation, if I don't drown in a bog of timeline inconsistencies and dependency loops first.

@Roxas45 and @Rio3678
    I'd still be happy to do writing for any projects you might want to do here. I shed prose like a cat sheds hair.
    DF MQ  Post #: 21
    10/7/2016 2:28:54   
    Roxas45

Well... that message certzinly put a damper on things... :/
    Loremaster's message I mean.

quote:

It's very rare that we take internships these days, for a couple reasons:
    A few years back, regulations for internships changed. That's affected a number of companies and industries.
    In order to stay within those regulations, the internship needs to be entirely for the benefit of the student, and needs to be much more an "educational experience."

We need to focus the majority of our developers' time and attention on building the games. That leaves less time for teaching, unfortunately.

This becomes a catch 22 type situation then... Okay not exactly but you get what I mean.
    you need more people to actually take the burden off of your shoulders to be able to train new people in order to lessen the burden you guys have, so that you can train new .... yeah you get it...

Im getting a feeling that you're not saying an outright no to the internship idea but that it would be ridiculously difficult to get..
    Also... As someone who has paid and gotten his SC, would it not count as "being in my interest and for my benefit" if it would help in getting the game a bit more lively?
    As for educational experience: Coding. Ta-da. (Over simplifying this obviously, but it would count as something for someone who is actually studying anywhere where its useful. So... why not?)

quote:

@Roxas45 and @Rio3678
    I'd still be happy to do writing for any projects you might want to do here. I shed prose like a cat sheds hair.

And I would love to have you on board.

Unfortunately, writing is my main thing as well... :/
    So what do you wanna work on? :)
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 22
    10/8/2016 7:07:52   
    Shiny_Underpants

@Roxas45
    Well, collaborative writing is always fun. I'm busy for October, and some of November, but I can do/help with bits and pieces (like plot outlines and brainstorming).

There are still some issues relating to the format. As Loremaster Maya pointed out, giving the existing games updates is not going to be effective, as that method has already become non-viable (economically speaking)— it's why the updates ended in the first place.
    I can do art and animation, but the maximum time I might be able to afford will be about an hour a day of each, and that's sort of disregarding any time spent writing... I also haven't had much practise with 2D digital art, though it is something I intend on working on a bit.
    I should have time these Christmas holidays to work on something, but I might need the time for something else yet. I'm not too sure at this point in time.

Ahh, there was a problem that I overlooked with animation. You see, a full licence costs $3000. Which is a bit excessive for someone who has difficulty in justifying the cost of a $70 stylus for digital art purposes.
    There are cheaper limited licencing offers for indie development purposes, but they're really only useful in a professional setting, where the work is done all at once, 9-5, as opposed to something you do a few hours a week. So once again, economics gets in the way of a good story.
    Fortunately, my current licence is usable for non-professional purposes.
    If you get a full unlimited licence, when you actually do the animation (before or after you purchase the licence) isn't so important- whereas a limited licence is a little bit different.
    This was another reason I'd be more useful at writing. All I use for writing is notepad++.
    And some people just export to Blender, and claim that they used that. Unfortunately, Autodesk is a company like AE, and each licence contributes a notable amount to the company. And I didn't spend all that time learning ethics for nothing.

So, the format is still slightly problematic— Flash animation is fine for games, but still looks a bit cheesy for an animation (I also don't know how to use Flash). 3D animation would mean that the project would have to ensure profits, including the massive dent made by a full licence for each animator, before you could begin to make money off it.

The writing is the first step, though, and doesn't require any extravagant costs or complicated economic planning to do. And it might structure something none of us can foresee. Writing is also not a massive investment— because I've had more experience than art, I can produce the same quality faster than a piece of artwork. As for animation... I expect it'd take some 40 hours for a fully rigged character— but I haven't had time to finish rigging even a single one as of yet (obviously the first time takes the longest).
    Then there are adjustable rigs— they're hard to make, but if you have a large number of characters who all move the same way (a crowd of humans, for example), they save time.
    Non-intricate objects are fairly easy, though, both for modeling and rigging.

So, how do you wish to create the writing? I don't know if it's wise to post plot spoilers on a completely open thread. Private messaging, perhaps? Or do you prefer some other form of media?
    I suppose I will spam you with brainstorming some time soon, once we've sorted the communication.
    DF MQ  Post #: 23
    10/19/2016 11:27:04   
    Roxas45

Yikes... It costs that much for a full license?? :/ :/

And I've been hearing a lot about Notepad ++ lately. With increasing frequency actually.. What is it?

Ah.. Game discussion on hand.
    Will there be a possibility for MQ to be shifted to Mobile gaming? In a way similar to the way Trello is run I mean.
    Available online through the browser, as well as mobile, and all progress is saved automatically.

Or are we waiting for AQ3D to start working first?

If you dont mind me asking, how come DF gets regular content (I am SO not complaining) but MQ is pretty much... uh... on a sabbatical ?
    The art styles are really similar, especially with the character profiles and such.
    Sure the Mechs are going to be somewhat difficult, but we more or less have a lot of content opened up, so instead of going somewhere new, we can add more storylines to already existing areas?

Unless there is some issue with jurisdiction and timings... :/
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 24
    10/20/2016 3:45:36   
    chusen

i would love it if they return that Evil jim event with the werewolf mecha hehe
    or maybe a different version of a werewolf mecha, maybe add a vampire mecha :P
    Post #: 25
    Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> Is MechQuest being updated?
    Page 1 of 41234>
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition