Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=ED= November 23rd, 2016 - Winter 2016 Update

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= November 23rd, 2016 - Winter 2016 Update
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/23/2016 22:15:26   
One Winged Angel1357

quote:

November 23, 2016
Winter 2016 Update

Winter is coming and that means the return of EpicDuel's most anticipated event of the year: Gifting! Until then, you can stock up on returning seasonal rares available at Torgan and Edgar Boothe in Frysteland!

Since this is an extended weekend, we're offering an extended Power Weekend! That means starting midnight tonight, you'll earn Double XP and Credits until Monday! You'll need all the credits you can get for what's to come!

Coming Soon

As mentioned before, our annual gifting event is just around the corner, NEXT WEEK, in fact! This time, the #1 prize will be Nightwraith's own personal Founder Armor! The top placing players will receive the new Platinum Yeti morphs!

Other Updates
Based on your feedback in the forums, we're including many more features, adjustments, and balance improvements that should shift some of the game's fundamentals for the better (hopefully!). Obviously, we can't incorporate every suggestion -- we don't have the time, resources, or engine flexibility to include them all -- but we can do our best to improve the longevity and fun-factor of the game as we head into 2017!

What kind of improvements are we making? I'll list a few below:

Improved Leveling Curve
Many prominent players have remarked that one of EpicDuel's biggest problems in the early game is that it just takes too dang long to level up! We agree, so we're adjusting the leveling curve to allow players to reach the cap much faster (up to 3x faster) than before.

Founder Step-Down
This feature request goes waaaaay back to the initial release of factions. With this feature, faction founders will be able to promote another faction member to become the new founder. The founder will be demoted to whatever status the promote player was. This feature has a multi-step confirmation process so it shouldn't be possible to "slip" and put a rando in charge of your prestigious faction.

Unbound Cores
We will be introducing cores from promos past (excluding development phase items) as unbound cores. This means you will be able to buy and attach cores like Platinum's pride to any weapon you desire. We're doing this to give you some of the flexibilty and customization we promised at the start of Omega.

Fine Tuning
We've adjusted many of the skills and cores in the game based on your suggestions. Because testing is still underway, we won't list the numbers here just yet. We will likely do another balance pass after the Gifting event goes live and more battle feedback can be gathered.

Juggernaut and 2v2 Balance
Matching in these modes has been a pain for awhile now, but we're testing some solutions to improve this situation. Juggernauts will receive a buff similar to Underdog which will scale with their opponents. 2v2 partners can also receive a modified Underdog buff that's been customized for this mode.

More
Development is ongoing and we'll cram as many features and items as we can in what time we have. We though about doing a promotional package, but realized that introducing several new cores in the midst of all the other balance changes would probably not be the best idea. Expect a follow-up release after the initial Gifting launch for fixes, adjustments, and a few features that didn't quite make the initial cut.

Happy Thanksgiving and Duel On!

Tags: Nightwraith

Tagged ~WhiteTiger

< Message edited by WhiteTiger -- 11/24/2016 2:29:16 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/23/2016 23:17:44   
Xendran

EDIT: Instances of 'you' are referring to developers, not One Winged Angel

Do they realize that Triple EXP is still 150+ hours on what is basically a tutorial?
Hitting level 40 is the equivalent of being allowed to finally enter Bronze/Wood/Equivalent lowest tier Ranked play.

Doesn't take 150 hours to earn my class cards in Hearthstone.
Doesn't take 150 hours to earn my class cards in Duelyst.
Doesn't take 150 hours to enter bronze in League of Legends
Doesn't take 150 hours to enter wood in Heroes of the Storm.

So then explain to me why someone is going to pick EpicDuel over any of these games? All of them, as well as the ones i didn't list are:

- Higher production value
- Higher fidelity engines
- More optimized engines for better performance
- Not using vulnerable legacy platform
- Far cheaper in-game purchases
- Does not disrespect player's time with 150 hour tutorial for game with fewer skills for every class combined over 7 years of updates, than a single class in Hearthstone or Duelyst has basic neutral cards.

In addition, can you explain what parts of EpicDuel you find are confusing enough that new players need 150+ hours to become accustomed to it?
You need to compete hard with other games, especially if you want to thrive on mobile. Getting your players to the part of the game that you have spent the most time on, and should be the most refined (Level Cap) should be done as quickly as possible.

Just from a straight up time value perspective, why would anyone choose EpicDuel in this scenario? Especially given the myriad of digital CCGs that are out which bears extreme similarity to EpicDuel's design goals (or at least, the potential EpicDuel has available in its systems, whether or not that is used).

If you can give us an explanation here and it checks out, then great.
If you can't, you might want to question the processes behind which you make these kinds of decisions, and where they're actually coming from.
3x EXP is not a realistic number if you want anything to change at all.

Even 30x exp doesn't cut it down as much as it could, but 20 hours for ED is still more reasonable than 150 or 500. This game realistically could have you hit the level cap in 6 - 12 hours or so, and you'd be good to go with your mechanical knowledge. From there all you need to build is strategic knowledge, which is gained by being matched against equally powerful players.

Do you genuinely not realize how much you're shooting yourself in the foot by having this old-school MMO grindfest style progression in a game that has no place for it?
Times have changed, you're not a 2 man team in 2006 working on your first PVP prototype hacked together from MMO concepts.
It's massively disrespectful towards the player to value their time so poorly when they have so many other options available, and they won't keep playing your game once they find out about it.

You need to be looking at statistics, conferences, postmortems, etc. of other games that tried, are trying, or have already accomplished what you set out to do with this game.
They do not do things this way for a reason, and 3x is not enough to bring things in line with what a new player will expect from your game.
If you have done those things already however, and this is where it led, then I think everyone here has seen enough to make their decision.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 11/24/2016 7:04:19 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 2
11/24/2016 4:05:37   
goldslayer1

quote:

Founder Step-Down
This feature request goes waaaaay back to the initial release of factions. With this feature, faction founders will be able to promote another faction member to become the new founder. The founder will be demoted to whatever status the promote player was. This feature has a multi-step confirmation process so it shouldn't be possible to "slip" and put a rando in charge of your prestigious faction.

After years of telling us this wasn't possible, now after the game is basically no longer active or competitive you decided to bring this in? kind of late on this one.
This feature could have helped ED's competitive factions, back when they were active or during ED's prime years.
It could have prevented factions from fizzling off due to leadership inactivity (and in turn, prevent some of its followers from going inactive as well)

I dont see it making much of an impact in the game's current state.

< Message edited by goldslayer1 -- 11/24/2016 4:11:01 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 3
11/24/2016 5:10:47   
Lord Machaar

I do agree with everything Xendran has said. In fact, ED could have been much better if Artix with his dictatorship ideas (With the help of Cysero) wasn't that much obsessed with making every game on this planet an AQW/AQ-like. *Cough* AQ3D *Cough*.
For the simple reason that devs are making ED botting-tolerant like AQW, that doesn't mean the game should take 500 hours to reach level cap. In fact that encourages more players to bot their way up to high ranks, then come cry here about imbalance and what not.

Games like LeagueOfLegends are botting-proof, for the simple reason that they require skills. Sure, bot all you want, you will reach level 30 and get annihilated every round because you didn't play the short and useful tutorial. It's the total opposite in ED, no matter how dumb you are, you can skip tutorial thanks to botting, reach high ranks, and that would help you win most of your battles without actual skills. The tutorial is not just long (which is tolerable if there is a lot to learn), but it is also not even that important as Xendran has stated.

The game has two options, whether make it a pure PVE like AQW, change the name to AdventureDuel, or be bold and build a true PVP game. Decrease tutorial hours, kick NPC botters back to their origin (AQW), bring back variety and make the game a competitive PVP game once again.

Reducing tutorial hours would be a bad idea for ED's current state, for two reasons:
- Botters. Oh god, the game is full of those.
- You would find tons of players at level cap with 0 to little variety in gameplay.
Therefore there must be drastic changes to make the game enjoyable, reduce NPC impact on the game, and bring underdog classes/skills back to life.
quote:

Unbound Cores
We will be introducing cores from promos past (excluding development phase items) as unbound cores. This means you will be able to buy and attach cores like Platinum's pride to any weapon you desire. We're doing this to give you some of the flexibilty and customization we promised at the start of Omega.

Fine Tuning
We've adjusted many of the skills and cores in the game based on your suggestions. Because testing is still underway, we won't list the numbers here just yet. We will likely do another balance pass after the Gifting event goes live and more battle feedback can be gathered.

Matching in these modes has been a pain for awhile now, but we're testing some solutions to improve this situation. Juggernauts will receive a buff similar to Underdog which will scale with their opponents. 2v2 partners can also receive a modified Underdog buff that's been customized for this mode.

All these are a good start, but the game won't simply tolerate these drastic changes during one update. Maintenance is primordial in this case.
MQ Epic  Post #: 4
11/24/2016 6:50:12   
Silver Sky Magician

Unbound cores look really sweet. If the balance changes are good I might start playing again.
Post #: 5
11/24/2016 7:24:04   
Xendran

@Lord Machaar: Unbound Cores is definitely a step in the right direction, and I think it's the closest thing here to a game changer because cores actually bring some pretty interesting abilities into the game.
This game could really use from basically a big spam of new skills in an update to kick up some variety and new theorycrafting.

I'd also like to further show how severe the leveling curve still is even with tripled EXP by simply comparing it to my game:

There are about as many Keywords and Status Effects in it as EpicDuel has Skills for all classes combined. And as you can see, there are also way more mechanics at play (Minions, Movement, Structures, Traps, etc.).
It takes another person about 20-30 hours of exposure to the design documents to become confident enough in learning the system to be able to assist me with skill design at the level of an interested player.
This will take less when you combine it with a well done in-game tutorial (using as little text as possible) and game design that encourages you to improve at the game.

You really need to reevaluate that 3x number.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 11/24/2016 7:26:17 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 6
11/24/2016 11:51:35   
8x

Looks like Front45 finally gets to use Platinum's pride core, it's not the Platinum's armor but at least it's something.
Epic  Post #: 7
11/24/2016 12:56:08   
One Winged Angel1357

I don't think the clarification on you bring the devs and not me was needed but I do appreciate it all the same.

I also don't think that this is enough of a change when it comes to smoothing out the exp curve once I can sit down and see all the numbers and not just a vague statement of roughly how it will work I'll reevaluate my thoughts.

All that time working on BioBeasts or something the AQW team tried must have provided the answer they needed for the safety risk that is faction founder stepdown or they just decided to make it as safe as they could but not as safe as they want because the community is always asking for it.

Just as a blanket statement for the balance changes we are either going to break the meta by introducing a lot of combinations or will we need to hit energy skills again in the new year
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 8
11/24/2016 16:01:17   
Mother1

quote:

quote:Unbound Cores

While this is a turn in the right direction, to be honest what we really need isn't the bringing back old cores but rather, a lot of new cores with different and interesting effects. effects that will make people want to use the new cores rather than ignore them for others.

Like for example the support boost core is extrmely underpowered and with the way the game is now it isn't even worth using in either battle mode where as for example the force strike core is so overpowered in 2 vs 2 that is 100% mandatory due to it's ability to cripple mode other builds in this battle mode. Worse to wear there aren't any other cores that come close to competing with this one in 2 vs 2 which is extremely sad.

I am hoping the balance changes will help do something about this, however, if they don't no offense but I only see bad going to worse.
Epic  Post #: 9
11/24/2016 16:17:51   
One Winged Angel1357

You also have the issue of throwing in too many changes at once making it near impossible to track what is what even with proper metrics. So even if this is the direction we need to be heading it won't suddenly produce the perfect results.

Furthermore if this works on the seasonal system, please don't do that, then we won't see the full extent of the change until late next year. But like I just said please don't do that. Cores are limited enough as it is so injecting all of these cores into the permanent line up is good for possible diversity whereas locking them to seasons punishes players. By all means keep the gear seasonal but the unbound cores almost need to be year round

< Message edited by One Winged Angel1357 -- 11/24/2016 16:18:24 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 10
11/24/2016 19:08:34   
shadow.bane

@8x LIKE OMFGGGG what u said has made my day :p 100 % true xD

on topic :

old cores coming back is an interesting change and a game changer imo cause will increase variate
faction change is a step forward i like it
but the 3x times to level up well ehhhh i back up @xendran and @Lord Machaar here...

Edit : as for juggernaut and 2 vs 2 well been waiting for this to get fixed since like forever lol time to spam some jugg maybe :D

< Message edited by shadow.bane -- 11/24/2016 19:09:26 >

Bane Hallow The Last Shadow Fiend.
AQW Epic  Post #: 11
11/24/2016 19:59:37   
Mother1

Now that I am thinking about it the old cores that will be coming back will be 5 altogether.

1) stun shot
2) Frostbite
3) Thorn assault
4) Massive strike
5) Chairman's fury

But to be honest the first 3 already have mock versions of them so the last two cores are were the only ones that were truly unique and out of game.

Epic  Post #: 12
11/24/2016 20:27:52   
Xendran

I think meta-breaking additions to the game at this stage are fine, as long as they bring a fresh gameplay experience.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 13
11/24/2016 20:48:53   
One Winged Angel1357

If the dev's can get a core inventory system working that would be a great step towards player flexibility. Retraining tanks credits pretty hard but grabbing a core only to need it later on down the line after a switch is way worse
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 14
11/24/2016 22:12:12   
Xendran

To be honest, a core inventory isn't really the best way to handle things.
While it is the best for the player, you can get rid of the negative feeling if you frame things positively rather than negatively.

Right now we have:
Weapons consume cores. You must purchase the core a second time to use it on a new weapon.

Instead we could have:
Weapons have cores. All cores are locked. You can optionally purchase a Skin Transfer to make your weapon look like any other, allowing you to use any core alongside your choice of weapon artwork.

The second option is effectively the same, pay to change which core is associated with which weapon appearance, but is framed as customization rather than as a restriction.
This allows the devs to keep a high level of monetization on the system, but without making the player feel like they are being restricted.

Retraining taking credits is the big offender, alongside the equipment disparity.
Cores would make a lot more sense if they were either all exactly the same strength, or offered build changing/defining traits that do not offer straight power, likely paired with an opportunity cost.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 11/24/2016 22:15:34 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 15
11/25/2016 8:58:30   
.Lord Ginger.

Weapons with locked cores is an awful idea. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People want the icy chill locked core gone because it was so useless. A core inventory is MUCH better. since you only need to buy a few number of cores and can just swap them.
AQW Epic  Post #: 16
11/25/2016 17:34:26   
shadow.bane

guys what do you think about an option in factions to change names ? like many people make a faction then regret the name they given after few days or so.
so what do you think ?
AQW Epic  Post #: 17
11/25/2016 18:55:28   
Satafou

The no.1 prize for gifting is NW's founder armour, talk about a new low. Surely the devs could come up with a more creative idea.
Post #: 18
11/25/2016 19:13:07   
One Winged Angel1357

They could however players still want those early game exclusives they'd otherwise never have a chance in getting so it is an effective carrot on the stick.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the most effective. And being gear is just rarity score and cosmetics it's not like it actually matters
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 19
11/26/2016 12:16:59   
Stonehawk

quote:

Improved Leveling Curve
Many prominent players have remarked that one of EpicDuel's biggest problems in the early game is that it just takes too dang long to level up! We agree, so we're adjusting the leveling curve to allow players to reach the cap much faster (up to 3x faster) than before.

How about fixing the credits part too? Everyone is looking for balance and variety, how is variety going to happen if it's so expensive to re-train and change armory's stats?

quote:

Faster leveling up means less players below lvl 40, which means less juggernaut battles. UNLESS someome takes my suggestion to make it possible for a lvl 40 fight two other lvl 40's in a juggernaut with an underdog system that works in a way that both sides have a chance to win. Testers would find a way to make it possible. Making juggernauts look like bosses is an option (x10 health and energy or something alike).
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
11/26/2016 15:27:42   
Xendran

Making juggernauts 40 vs 2 level 40 where the juggernaut gets a huge buff is a good idea.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 21
11/26/2016 17:08:53   
Mother1

@ Stonehawk

I would agree if not for the extreme small player pool for players. The more people in juggeranaut battles the less players there will be for normal non jug fights and even with Juggernauts that pull is small.

Something would need to be put into play to compensate for said wait times cause when you have under 200 people during peak hours and under 100 during non peak hours you know it will be a major mess.
Epic  Post #: 22
11/27/2016 10:43:25   
Stonehawk

@Mother1

Don't worry, Mother1. Good update will bring good ol' players back. If not, why not give us a small reward for each player invited? (click on our link, sign up and lvl up to a certain lvl to get a small reward, both the inviting person and the invited).

Small player pool is not bad for those suggestions. It's bad for ANY suggestion. Only a good update with encouraging news will bring players back and attract new players. You know... for those who likes variety, using 650 credits everytime they want to change a build (retrain + rearrange weapon's stats) is discouraging. If not making it cheaper, make it easier to get credits!!!

You know, I've waited almost 10 minutes to find a juggernaut battle and gave up. If they give us a faster way to lvl up, the number of lower lvl people in the game will be smaller and it will be even harder to find juggernaut battles than it already is. That's why a juggernaut player with a high buff fighting similar lvl can be a good solution. People who wants faster battles will choose 1 vs 1, I guess. People who wants 2 vs 2 will often face juggernauts.

Solution for waiting time would be a bot instead of a player for long wait, but I think it could be chosen by the player. After 30 seconds or a minute, a "fight with a bot for faster matching" could show up so you can choose.

This could work even for 2 vs 2 and juggernaut.

Example: You want juggernaut. wait is long, you find only 1 player. If you click that button and the player looking for 2 vs 2 do also, you fight him and a bot. If he doesn't, he keeps searching for battle and you are matched with a person looking for 2 vs 2 that clicked the button also. Isn't that a good solution for faster matchmaking?

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 23
11/27/2016 11:01:53   
Xendran

Just saying, retraining fees are like if Hearthstone charged you gold to change a card in your deck.
It's as silly as it sounds.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 24
11/27/2016 11:12:12   
Stonehawk

I play Clash Royale sometimes and I keep imagining if I had to pay gold each time I changed a card on a deck. lol

If they don't want it to be free, at least lower it to 10% of the current price because, honestly, if there's something really wrong with the build, having to lose 20+ times to be able to retrain is awful.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= November 23rd, 2016 - Winter 2016 Update
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition