Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =ED= January 6th, 2017 - EpicDuel 2017

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: =ED= January 6th, 2017 - EpicDuel 2017
Page 2 of 4<1234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/7/2017 20:28:37   
  WhiteTiger

Majestic Feline of AQ3D & ED

@Lord Machaar

It's a bit under 340k after kickstarter + processing fees (but they do have some more from the master account side off kickstarter). Also,
quote:

Why Do You Need Funding?

Game development isn't cheap.

So far AQ3D hasn't asked for a dime from anyone so it has been 100% supported by money coming from AQW and our other games (though, mostly AQW). AQW has reached the point where it needs every dollar that comes in to finish the engine rewrites and to keep the game updates coming.

AQ3D has to find its own funding but it's not ready to release yet so we can't open the doors and start taking payments. AQ3D CANNOT add all the features and become the amazing game that we know it can be without funding.

Source

The artists and devs had to implement all the rewards promised in the kickstarter as well so I would say they didn't really end up getting as much money as it seems from the kickstarter, but they also did get some more art assets and game features in the game that they might not have wanted to this early on.
AQW Epic  Post #: 26
1/7/2017 20:41:13   
Lord Machaar

^ Yes, there was a side-off kickstarter from AE master accounts, that's why they wrote 400k raised on the stretch goals.

So basically AQ3D did start thanks to funds from past AE games, so devs were getting paid before the kickstarter to actually work on AQ3D. The kickstarter can be considered a surplus as long as past AE games still provide a good revenue.
MQ Epic  Post #: 27
1/7/2017 20:44:57   
  WhiteTiger

If you read the quote, it states that AQ3D was previously taking funds from other games (mainly AQW), but AQW's remaining funds need to be used towards AQW, so thus AQ3D's funds were essentially gone. Thus, the kickstarter was necessary to continue working on and finish the game, not a surplus from the other revenue.
AQW Epic  Post #: 28
1/7/2017 21:07:41   
Lord Machaar

The money earned from AQW had to be invested in engine rewriting, and that was finished ages ago. So we are back to the Kickstarter being a surplus revenue, to an extent ofcourse, and in few given months ofcourse. I'm not saying it was a surplus from day-1 till now. It was a surplus at given times, and AE had the chance to look over ED's payment system.

And I quote:
quote:

AE did receive a huge support from AQ3D's kickstarter, and it blew off all of their expectations hitting 200k. So the company at a given time had few cash to spare and give in return, because in the end who helped that kickstarter break the records? No one but the playerbase of their past games including ED.

< Message edited by Lord Machaar -- 1/7/2017 21:09:11 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 29
1/7/2017 21:10:57   
  WhiteTiger

Last time I checked, they were still working on the AQW server rewrite (testing it and fixing bugs so not as much work as before, but until it's released it's really not fully done) so there hasn't been a surplus since the AQ3D kickstarter launched in 2015. That kickstarter money was probably used up by now too.

EDIT: AE is clearly very focused on making AQ3D their top priority, so they definitely wouldn't have siphoned away funds from it to support their older games on a dying platform.

< Message edited by WhiteTiger -- 1/7/2017 21:15:01 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 30
1/7/2017 21:16:57   
Lord Machaar

quote:

GOOD NEWS: the server has been completely rewritten and done for several months!

I already stated that AE had at a given time the chance to look into ED while having 2-3 years to make a move.

quote:

EDIT: AE is clearly very focused on making AQ3D their top priority, so they definitely wouldn't have siphoned away funds from it to support their older games on a dying platform.

No one knows that. As long as you weren't the one who made the transactions, I wouldn't be so sure, as Alina stated:
quote:

"Ok. But this has taken a long time. Longer than you said it would!"
That's very true. In the spirit of complete disclosure, we did not think it would take nearly this long to finish.

More time = More money. Was AQW's revenue alone able to cover up the expenses?

That's a question only Artix knows the answer to. To me, ED deserves as much support as AQW. But to Artix though, that's not the case. And even when Titan is being asked how his "convos" usually go with Artix, the guy clearly stated more than once that they don't go well. Both of them have different visions, and both of them have different access to the budget, so we can see who is the loser here.

< Message edited by Lord Machaar -- 1/7/2017 21:19:56 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 31
1/7/2017 21:24:19   
8x

I'm really curious whether or not ED is at least breaking even (would be interesting to read ED postmortem). IMO, you definitely can't compare it to AQW.
Epic  Post #: 32
1/7/2017 21:27:51   
  WhiteTiger

It's very clear that there are differing views of how AE should proceed but at the end of the day it's Artix's company and he can allocate staff to wherever he thinks will be good for the company overall. I don't think ED should be given nearly as much support as AQW since AQW has always had significantly more players and was AE's biggest success. Using the current server numbers of 8565 vs 210, assuming player spending is consistent, I think it's only fair that ED gets 2% as much resources as AQW but even during the peak of both games where AQW had ~20k and ED had ~2k, I think ED should have got 10% as much resources. I would've loved to see ED have as big of a team as AQW and be supported better (and maybe it could've even been as big of a success, who knows), but that's just because I liked ED more than AQW.
AQW Epic  Post #: 33
1/7/2017 21:40:58   
Lord Machaar

You are simply comparing ED's AE to AQW. ED's AE was never meant to prosper since the beginning. As if Artix wanted AQW to be their biggest hit. That's like having 2 kids, one of your own, and one adopted. You support your own kid, pay for college tuition and all, while neglecting the adopted kid. So you don't come at the end of the day and compare the accomplishements of both kids. Sure the adopted kid despite not being supported could have made accomplishements (Many billionaires are out there who aren't college graduates), but that's rare and not anyone can do it, and sadly that's what they were awaiting for ED to do.

In the end, ED will remain a game that marked many players' experiences, and if it was up to me, it would be better if they just close it. It's way better than turning it into AQW 2.0. ED keeping its legacy would be way better.

< Message edited by Lord Machaar -- 1/7/2017 21:43:08 >
MQ Epic  Post #: 34
1/8/2017 4:25:47   
Satafou

ED lost it's legacy years ago...
Post #: 35
1/8/2017 6:13:33   
GoldenNeo

^ED can't lose it's legacy till there are still people playing the game lol
AQW Epic  Post #: 36
1/8/2017 11:23:06   
One Winged Angel1357

So a few things floating around in this thread that need to be addressed.
Kickstarter does not pay out in a lump sum. You get the money slowly over a course of a year if not longer. So the Kickstarter would pay out for AQ3D the same way sales pay out for every other game in AE with monthly projections.

A post mortem is created when the team behind the game stops working on it not when everyone stops playing. So trying to say it is too soon for a post mortem is not really true as the EpicDuel team has been pulled to work on AQ3D and will stay there until AQ3D is self sustaining on steam if not indefinitely.

AQW supported every single AE game except for EpicDuel and recently AQ3D. That should clear up why one team was so much larger than the other. Now EpicDuel would occasionally have a higher profit margin than AQW but never make more money.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 37
1/8/2017 22:12:10   
Wootz

Sad news to hear after being through everything over all this years, but gotta give it to 'em, it's been one hell of a ride. Through all the highs and the lows, they manages to keep players at their feet and battle it out in the game. I can't regret anything about the time and money I've spent on the game and I'm glad I've supported it with both through all these years.

Now, since there are really no courses of action for the game, I'd like to suggest one in hopes that the Devs could find some use of it if read.
I belive that the best way to try and continue EpicDuels lifespan is porting it to Steam (aswell, as transfering it to Unity). Thus it creates a possibility of having a larger playbase and a larger playerbase provides a bigger possibility of income. People are always interested in indie games, so on paper it seems like a good idea. It also creates a better marketing, as in: there are youtubers who play an indie game for a few douzen minutes and upload it to YouTube. They share the game to their viewerbase and thus it creates a possibility of increased player attraction.
All in all, Steam as an option seems as a best course of action. Sure it may backfire, but there's that hint of a possibility that it can be a smash success.
That's my opinion, take it as you want it.

In the end. I'm glad I was able to be a part of this and would gladly do it all over again. Thank you for all the hard work and faith you've put in the game and I can only wish you good luck for the future.
Gg. Wp.
AQW Epic  Post #: 38
1/10/2017 11:38:08   
GoldenNeo

The dev's cant even fix the servers... people getting disconnected multiple times..
AQW Epic  Post #: 39
1/10/2017 11:58:15   
  Digital X

Beep Beep! ArchKnight AQ / ED

Could we get a post from a Staff Member, what they hope to achieve this year, or plan to?

I'm not knocking them or anything just curious what the roadmap is this year.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 40
1/10/2017 12:06:12   
Silver Sky Magician

^

From what I gather, they plan to maintain ED with the war cycle and seasonal rare cycle while spending the bulk of their time working on AQ3D/ exploring other options/ upgrading themselves. We may get the occasional balance/gameplay tweak if we're really lucky but otherwise it seems that we're on autopilot. At least they overhauled balance and gameplay before they turn their attention to other things.
Post #: 41
1/10/2017 12:10:52   
  Digital X

Beep Beep! ArchKnight AQ / ED

I've gotta get back into Wars. I was active when it came around, and it seems to be a big part of the game now. Returning rares are good for all.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 42
1/11/2017 0:01:41   
SouL Prisoner

Did they reduce the drop rate for bombs? Especially during that 1 hour of extra damage.

13 wins and only 3 Bombs!?(during power rally) Just bad luck or something else?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 43
1/11/2017 2:36:00   
Mother1

@ soul Prisoner

War rallies no longer buff the damage of bombs. They only increase drop rate, and make the drops 100% super bombs. War commander works perfectly with this seeing as you will have a 100% chance of getting super bombs.
Epic  Post #: 44
1/11/2017 5:49:38   
SouL Prisoner

It's not 100% and i can say that for a fact. I'm not 100% sure about the effects of equipping war commander during power rally though.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 45
1/12/2017 10:40:00   
nowras

Yes, it is a 100% chance to get super bombs as a drop. The drop rate during war rallies is also increased. WC is the best option during war rallies.
AQW Epic  Post #: 46
1/14/2017 12:17:59   
dfo99

the dread plains war lb says: "the player with most influence will be immortalized on the map" but the tops and the others players who did a enormous effort on this war was just erased like nothing, their could for example made each war a lb page and when you scroll you could see the results of the last wars, but reset it is far easier. then there is this post about "how important is the little ed community".

Post #: 47
1/15/2017 10:04:05   
SouL Prisoner

quote:

Yes, it is a 100% chance to get super bombs as a drop.

No it's not. I'm on Legion side and we get power rally more often. I used to think it's 100 too, but have experienced this many times now. The drop rate maybe high, but it's not 100%. I can bet my life on that... unless it's a bug.. then it's not on me.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 48
1/15/2017 10:34:37   
.Lord Ginger.

its only 100% drop rate if war commander.

HOWEVER WHAT THEY MEANT was that IF you were to get a drop from the RALLY, it is 100% a super bomb.

< Message edited by .Lord Ginger. -- 1/15/2017 10:36:14 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 49
1/16/2017 0:00:50   
SouL Prisoner

Ya.. IF* You get. The drop rate itself is not 100%.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: =ED= January 6th, 2017 - EpicDuel 2017
Page 2 of 4<1234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition