Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Is the hero afraid of ice? Also, why can't IBR be canon?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Is the hero afraid of ice? Also, why can't IBR be canon?
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/17/2017 15:23:10   
Winters Key

Near the start of the Calamity quest, we see that the hero is afraid of being encased with ice (After Aegis saved him). Is this claustrophobia, or just a general fear of ice? The latter could cause several problems in the future - he could be subtly afraid of Aegis, which could pose some problems during weaving.

Another thing I noticed was that all DC classes aren't canon - i'd understand why Pyromancer isn't canon, along with Kathool Adept & the Ancient Exosuit. But why can't the Icebound Revenant armour be canon? It doesn't contradict any of the points made in any saga, and the backstory could work too (Being that the hero found the armour, in a cave in the far north)? Just curious.

Your signature has been munched!
Our limits: 500x100 pixels and 50kb size.
Our rule: You can only use your sig once per page.
For more information: Detailed Sig Guide
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 1
4/17/2017 15:31:19   
Wolfofdoom3

Icebound revenant is more like a repurposed deathknight,so really it's not that it could not be canon,it's just that there's no good reason for it to be canon.Also I doubt the hero is afraid of Aegis but they are afraid of ice that's for sure,and that makes quite some potential for a future quest that could exploit this fear.

< Message edited by Wolfofdoom3 -- 4/17/2017 15:32:11 >
Post #: 2
4/17/2017 16:12:58   
rater202

Icebound Revenant isn't canon because, from a meta-perspective, the Icebound Revenat isn't the guy in the armor but rather the soul of the Deathkniight posssesing the armor. Storylinewise, if you're wearing the armor you're a meat-puppet.

So basically, ti's non-canon for the same reasons Kathool Adept isn't.
AQ DF  Post #: 3
4/17/2017 16:34:08   
Greyor_42

@wolfofdoom3 the hero isn't so much afraid if ice as they are afraid of being frozen.
DF  Post #: 4
4/17/2017 16:36:05   
Sirix

It makes a lot of sense that the hero is scared of ice, considering what happened with Jaania. I hope it will come up in future some more, it's a good bit of characterisation for the Hero that is unlikely to interfere with anyone's personal story.
DF  Post #: 5
4/17/2017 16:50:20   
GammaCavy

Doomknight is the one where teh armor wears you. Death knight is a corrupted paladin. Big difference.
DF  Post #: 6
4/17/2017 16:59:14   
SilverAngel

I don't think it's as big as being afraid of ice in general but being afraid of being encased in ice without any warning. The last time that happened wasn't the most pleasant experience, it's easy to see why the Hero doesn't want to relive that.
DF AQW  Post #: 7
4/17/2017 17:09:56   
Sirix

@GammaCavy Normal Deathknight is like that, but IIRC, according to the DNs when the armour came out, IBR is the spirit of the original knight possessing you.

< Message edited by Sirix -- 4/17/2017 17:13:26 >
DF  Post #: 8
4/17/2017 17:20:26   
Winters Key

Design notes from that time. Not sure where it mentions the spirit of the knight possessing you. In the item description, it does mention you hearing a faint voice, but that's all i've seen related to possession.

Please do not use your signature more than once per page. ~Gingkage

< Message edited by Gingkage -- 4/18/2017 12:39:18 >
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 9
4/17/2017 17:29:41   
Sirix

Seems you're right, can't find any trace of that. Don't where that memory came from.
DF  Post #: 10
4/17/2017 18:03:50   
rater202

It was mentioned in a previousl thread, by a member of the staff at the time, when someone asked why certain armors aren't canon--Kathool Adept, Icebound Revenant, and Doomknight aren't canon because they all radically change the player's character via possession or corruption.
AQ DF  Post #: 11
4/17/2017 18:47:35   
schulties

World of Warcraft maybe?
DF MQ  Post #: 12
4/18/2017 2:41:48   
VJ

@Winters Key
so in other words kind of like the doom weapons?
Post #: 13
4/18/2017 11:17:28   
Winters Key

quote:

@Winters Key
so in other words kind of like the doom weapons?

Pretty much, yeah. But the spirit probably has less malicious intentions in contrast to the doom weapons, who want to pretty much end the civilisation of Lore.

quote:

It was mentioned in a previousl thread, by a member of the staff at the time, when someone asked why certain armors aren't canon--Kathool Adept, Icebound Revenant, and Doomknight aren't canon because they all radically change the player's character via possession or corruption.

With new members of staff coming in and old ones leaving, the problem is what old members of staff said isn't exactly valid (it may be out of date) - it's still up for debate, until a current member of staff actually confirms it. In this case, either Aeon/Tomix/Verly/San Robin.

Please do not use your signature more than once per page. ~Gingkage

< Message edited by Gingkage -- 4/18/2017 12:39:39 >
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 14
4/18/2017 12:53:35   
ShadowMoon

quote:

@wolfofdoom3 the hero isn't so much afraid if ice as they are afraid of being frozen.

its called Cryophobia either way, its basically Cryophobia brought about as a result of PTSD from being frozen for years
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
4/18/2017 14:45:04   
VJ

quote:

With new members of staff coming in and old ones leaving, the problem is what old members of staff said isn't exactly valid (it may be out of date) - it's still up for debate, until a current member of staff actually confirms it. In this case, either Aeon/Tomix/Verly/San Robin.

however it seems like they are sticking to what was already set in stone by the old staff and unless directly stated otherwise by them in DNs/Forums or in game everything still stands as canon or non-canon so there isn't any debate.
Post #: 16
4/18/2017 15:53:09   
Wolfofdoom3

^Of course I'm sure the devs will take their liberties as well.
Post #: 17
4/18/2017 18:10:10   
ShadowMoon

quote:

however it seems like they are sticking to what was already set in stone by the old staff and unless directly stated otherwise by them in DNs/Forums or in game everything still stands as canon or non-canon so there isn't any debate.

wasn't this already stated by Tomix or Verly somewhere? i know i've seen a link to a post that stated something along those lines in reference to use of quotes of ash show up on these forums from time to time
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
4/18/2017 20:05:41   
Greyor_42

@shadowmoon verly said to take what ash had said in the lore thread with a grain of salt, but tomix said that any specific thing that was stated is tru, unless otherwise DIRECTLY contradicted by newer staff members. this is, of course, me paraphrasing it a bit.

so basically, things are true unless stated otherwise, but we should err on the side of caution and assume that SOME of it could end up being stated untrue. just in case.
DF  Post #: 19
4/18/2017 20:44:38   
Jay

Nightclaw
DF Pedia, EC & Strat

The hero's fear does seem very specific. I doubt they'd have much trouble exploring Book 3 Dragesvard, but being asked to jump through a small hole in a sheet of ice into the icy waters below might cause panic. It's definitely a combination of the ice and the entrapment. And, I mean, really, who can blame them?
DF AQW  Post #: 20
4/18/2017 22:57:21   
Christophoses

I feel like The Hero is only afraid of being incarcerated in Ice. I'm not convinced that he/she is afraid of Ice in general.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
4/19/2017 0:04:12   
GammaCavy

Yeah, I'd say that the hero's unafraid of Ice. After all, book 3 Frostvale doesn't lead to anything like Aegis' ice shell did.
DF  Post #: 22
4/19/2017 0:21:26   
Christophoses

@above

Or Aegis himself. If The Hero was afraid of Ice he/she would try to avoid Aegis as much as possible.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 23
4/19/2017 3:04:09   
VJ

@ShadowMoon
I was actually talking about Geo and the others, while as much as I like Ash I tend to actually go with what Geo had stated in the past and as thus set in stone(no pun intended).
Post #: 24
4/20/2017 0:04:44   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

I think the hero's "fear" is ice is more of a recurring gag based on his years-long stasis. Plot-wise, some jokes are supposed to not be taken too seriously as something that will affect future plot aside from future jokes. I don't think the hero will have a fear of ice exploited as a weakness, but in comic relief, the hero will most likely have the "I don't like being frozen" brought back.

As for how canon classes are, yea, it's a bit inconsistent, since there is no practical reason for Pyro or Gnome tank class to not fit into the canon, and I argue that chaosweaving doesn't sound far off compared to necro and Deathknight. (I mean, I guess Aegis could be a little hurt by having you weave with a corrupt spirit, but nothing as plot-changing as, lets say, EATING Aegis like an ice-cream)
DF AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Is the hero afraid of ice? Also, why can't IBR be canon?
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition