Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!
Page 1 of 3123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/16/2017 15:33:56   
  Gingkage

Wolf Rider of DFQ&A/GD/Guides/RP

quote:

Tomix:
Default hero!

Hey guys!

I wanted to share with you something I've been pondering about.

You know how, for example, Mass Effect has a default Shepard or Ryder, used for promos?

I was thinking about making a default DragonFable hero, that I can put in promo images for weekly releases.

Because as beautiful as the landscape promos are, they feel... empty.

Putting in a default hero would give 'em some life... and I can do action shots too!

And I can add Draco alongside them!!!

This hero would be the "face" of DragonFable. I'd make female and male version, both very similar in design, and use female hero one week and male hero for the other.

They both would be the same class, most likely a DragonLord. And I suppose it's only fair that they both would share the same name!

And then, if you can imagine hard enough, you can replace the default hero on the promo, in your mind, with YOUR canon hero!

What do you guys think about this?

Good idea?

Bad idea?

Aaaaalso, gala preparation quest in coming out real soooooon!

Not the proper gala yet, but we're getting there!

Tags: Tomix
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
5/16/2017 15:42:54   
DestinyEvingar

That sounds fanTASTIC! You're right, that'd give promo images so much life, and it'd be really cool! I'd have to think about names. Not just any name would do, I don't think. But yes, I love this idea ^^

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
5/16/2017 15:45:20   
chisagen
A Swimming Good Time

I am 100% for a default hero. Would help give a proper feel to DF.

No idea what a good name would be (Maybe just hero?)

AQ DF AQW  Post #: 3
5/16/2017 16:10:52   
SilverAngel

Having a default Hero would be really cool, it would definitely liven up the promo pictures. As for a name if they share one if would probably have to be a neutral/ unisex name or maybe it could be names that are very similar but are easy to tell it's a boy or girl like Daniel and Danielle or Eric and Erica.

DF AQW  Post #: 4
5/16/2017 16:12:51   
FriendOfAFriend

The name should be Morgan! :D
Post #: 5
5/16/2017 16:30:23   
dark garuda

I do think it would be good for both genders of hero to share a name. So something gender-neutral would help, or they could be referred to instead by a shared title (we've certainly accrued quite a few by this point!). Going by a title would lend them a more impersonal edge, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on what you're going for.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
5/16/2017 16:30:45   
Meloette Wells

I tend to just default to calling the main character of things "hero" myself, or "soldier" or maybe even [insert occupation of protagonist here]

Then I just pictured calling a Persona MC, "student" or maybe "mr/ms.student" the whole adventure.

< Message edited by Meloette Wells -- 5/16/2017 16:31:16 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 7
5/16/2017 16:36:06   
Tomix
Soulweaver

I'm open for name suggestions!
The default hero can be reffered to via a title, a first name or a surename, whatever works and fits.
Here is a little glimpse of the WIP.
DF  Post #: 8
5/16/2017 16:45:45   
FriendOfAFriend

Referring to them as a title would be best imo.

I think 'Hero of Falconreach' or 'Hero of Lore' would be simple yet great titles for our Hero! Get the message across and also just sounds awesome.
Post #: 9
5/16/2017 16:46:47   
guthixnite

Personally, I think "The Hero" would be plenty to signify them, as it keeps it open for new players to pursue their own naming methods for their character without feeling any pressure or influence to be like the "default" hero.

As for class appearance, traditional Dragonlord seems to be the best to me. Maybe with some kind of scythe-classed weapon that anyone could relate to if they wanted to model themselves after the default hero?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
5/16/2017 16:53:56   
DestinyEvingar

Okay, yeah, I'm blanking on good names, and "the Hero" is already an established title in-game as I recall, so I think that'd be the best route to go in terms of addressing the default Hero ^^

Looks great so far, Tomix! Can't wait to see the end result ^^
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
5/16/2017 16:54:44   
RoXas_4r2

I agree with guthixnite, by not giving the default hero a name, it's easier to imagine them as placeholders for our own characters
AQ DF  Post #: 12
5/16/2017 17:04:51   
Greyor_42

go for it, tomix! and yeah, simply using "The Hero" as a title for the placeholder character would probably be best, since, well, that's exactly who they are.

and each of our heroes is unique, so simply using a title, allows for it to represent all of us in all our uniqueness, as opposed to giving them a name, which would appear to some to favor one name as being truly canon.

< Message edited by Greyor_42 -- 5/16/2017 17:05:14 >
DF  Post #: 13
5/16/2017 17:31:18   
SilverAngel

I wonder if a name that means hero or something similar could work. Regardless I like using a title better, it'll allow us to insert our character into the default hero's role.
DF AQW  Post #: 14
5/16/2017 18:35:28   
Alli

Yeah thats a pretty good idea. I think the current hairstyle also fits for the male character at least.
Post #: 15
5/16/2017 18:35:54   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

I LOVE this idea. I love the promo shots (because they're just so pretty), and I can see what Tomix means by the need of a hero to set off the art. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the name idea. Would it be incorporated into the promos themselves or just a sort of fun little fact that we know but isn't advertised? I only bring this up because if it's brought up on say, a random Internet ad somewhere, one may assume that the game revolves around said pre-named/pre-designed backstory. Nitpicky perhaps, but that's just what I first thought of.

All in all though, I think it would be a sick idea!

AQ DF AQW  Post #: 16
5/16/2017 18:49:40   
Meloette Wells

I think the main place that establishes ae's general usage of the player being "The Hero" is the various voice events on Dragonfable and more notably AQW. Sure the in-game text may have your character name, but ultimately it's "The hero" is what being said.

Also is this the hints of an evolved dragonlord redo (art wise, buuut let's be honest. Who's re-animating a class just for this?)

Although excuse me as I make a small list of possible dragonfable's hero titles.
"THE RIDER OF DESTRUCTION!" (Because ya know, The Prophecy)
"Dragonrider"/"Dragon-x" (Just for a general reminder of "hey, you have a dragon in this game")
"The Falcon of FalconReach!" (Admittively just being silly here, but why not get a tad bit egotistical with naming the hero.)
"World Changer" (because being a "Game Changer" is just too meta)
"The ant of legend" (You're a big important person as the hero, but let's be honest. You're just a drop in the bucket of Lore's [the planet] multitude of heroes and events.)
"The hero of many faces" (a variation on the hero, but if the hero is pretty customizatable. I wouldn't be surprised-) That one got too meta.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 17
5/16/2017 18:56:05   
Emrys

Love the idea!
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
5/16/2017 20:16:57   
Strength

I'm on board with this, but like most of the people here, I think the name should be "Hero" or any other title like that.

I'm excited for this, though! :D

Shadow Warrior is Best Warrior!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgabmote5Nwv0GJ4QWfYGfQ

http://www.dragonfable.com/df-chardetail.asp?id=22405731

https://twitter.com/StrengthDf
DF  Post #: 19
5/16/2017 20:48:29   
Dark Lord Urmi

my opinion is worthless as its obviously the unpopular one however that wont stop me from speaking it, i really really dislike this idea maybe if it was like this from the start but doing it now..pretty much takes our character's relevance away for these canon characters.

its like that for shepard and the ryder twins.

if this has to happen please please PLEASE don't give them a name just call them hero.

< Message edited by Dark Lord Urmi -- 5/16/2017 20:52:16 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 20
5/16/2017 20:52:17   
rycarflare

I like where this is going so I going to try to contribute by putting some names out there even though I'm dreadfully bad at naming things. I think Leo (Lion) and Lana (Child) would fit perfectly as the default names.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
5/16/2017 21:33:25   
Tomix
Soulweaver

quote:

pretty much takes our character's relevance away for these canon characters.

Can you elaborate on this, please?
DF  Post #: 22
5/16/2017 21:51:39   
Dragtarius

While I do not wholly agree, I think I understand what Urmi is coming from. By adding a set character in some form, that character becomes the "correct" choice in a sense, and player made deviations become the "Incorrect" in a manor of speaking. Sort of like how you can name Link other names in most TLoZ games, it is possible, but Link will always be the name of the character, taking away relevance from the player induced deviations. Now, as I said, I don't wholly agree, though that is in part because I already used my DF character's name and basic design for other things, and in general don't much care about if my choices are "correct" or not, and in this case I only much care about if the hypothetical default characters are aesthetically pleasing, but I do see the point and its validity. Of course, that doesn't make the points of the people in favour any less valid either.
Post #: 23
5/16/2017 21:55:54   
VJ

I like guthixnite idea when it comes to the hero him/her image and class, but the name like others have said should be 'hero'.
Post #: 24
5/16/2017 22:02:30   
Dark Lord Urmi

@Tomix/Dove Dragtarius pretty much said what i was going to.

it's hard for me to put what im feeling here into words

These defaults become the "correct" choice it unintentionally grounds the characters, with mass effect i never feel like i am playing as my version of shepard i feel like i'm playing AS shepard instead of the character being my character, my customization is a skin and nothing more with these defaults i feel like all my attachments are for these new characters and not my avatar if that makes sense.

again just my point of view on it...i'll stomach them fine just..please don't give them a name.

< Message edited by Dark Lord Urmi -- 5/16/2017 22:13:26 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!
Page 1 of 3123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition