Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/16/2017 22:13:41   
Commander_In_Red

@Urmi What about our Dragon? Does them having a default appearance and a default name change the relevance of however we customise/name them? No, no it does not. I can't see it being any different with the Hero.

I think it's a swell idea personally. I'd be all for it.

< Message edited by Commander_In_Red -- 5/16/2017 22:14:15 >

The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
DF  Post #: 26
5/16/2017 22:17:24   
Dark Lord Urmi

^ I already know my opinion is worthless and drowned out, tomix asked me to explain why so i did. -_-

besides draco (they already have a name) is not our avatars.

< Message edited by Dark Lord Urmi -- 5/16/2017 22:19:24 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 27
5/16/2017 22:26:05   
FriendOfAFriend

I get what Urmi means 100%.

Whenever I play a Zelda game, or a FF game, and they ask me to change the name I'm like 'hell yea!'

But then I see that their name is already Link. Already Cloud. Then I see they use swords, so there goes my materia-only build, yada yada.

While I don't agree with him in this set case, I do totally see how someone could feel 'influenced' almost to play a certain way because of having a set name + class (but considering it's CANON that we're a dragonlord, don't see that being too big an issue)
Post #: 28
5/16/2017 22:35:29   
flashbang

Just call 'em "The Heavy"
Cause that's what they are.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 29
5/16/2017 23:05:08   
  Starflame13

Gryffin Warrior of DF GD & RP

I love the idea of having a default Dragon Lord hero for promo art! Having multiple versions would solve most issues, too. Another possibility is giving the default hero a helm and heavy armor so that it's more ambiguous, but male/female versions might work as well.

For name, well, the default name of our Dragon is Draco. Personally I'd just stick with calling the hero "Hero" :P

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 30
5/16/2017 23:44:15   
dragon_master

Ehh,i don't like it. Besides,the laggy and boring gameplay of the DL.
DF MQ  Post #: 31
5/17/2017 0:32:46   
LouisCyphere

I think "The Hero" is good.
The Dragonlord with its regular or base color is good as well.
As well as having both the default or first hair options for both male and female.

I think having the "Poster Hero" using the default options would be a good way to be used as a template.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 32
5/17/2017 0:46:16   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

Urmi, stop calling your idea worthless :) I find it a very interesting opinion becuase you, a player, is the target of this promo, so your feeling is to be taken into account as others might share the same feeling. As unique as each of us are as an individual, emotions do repeat in patterns, so I won't say no one else share the same opinion as you, as one might come to. Now, I do like the idea of a solid character in the promo, but if making the Hero is not OK, I would suggest using the existing NPCs, maybe their book 3 designs since they are more elaborated and refined (as long as it doesn't spoil anything) or going along with "the hero", but perhaps leaving the face shadowed, like "fit your face here" kind of blank space so people can picture their heroes there (since the only part of the character we can change is above the neck).
DF AQW  Post #: 33
5/17/2017 1:26:24   
monstervet

First off, yes, i enjoy the idea it seems quite creative. As an artist your instincts, i feel at the very least, are correct and you have never steered us wrong (except for that one time, i swear FW will be the end of me).

However a very big NO to DL, yes i do enjoy the hairstyle and general characteristics you chose the reasoning is simple:
When creating a new character, those are the default settings.
As such i actually feel that is the "basic" Hero, however DL is a premium class and may cause newer players to wonder where they can find it in game.

Fun Fact:
Ash Dragonblade was the face of the game, back when this was Archknight... the more you know.

What does this have to do with anything? Nothing.
IF Chewbaca lives on Endor you must acquit.

IT does however bring a good point, things change.

We are transitioning from Characterless Panels to Panels with characters...cool.
The only issue is what to select to be the generic, although not faceless, face of this to be panel.

Im reminded of Star Tours, those generic backdrops the color the feel, they would look so much better with some characters, yet the look of the characters would change from place to place wouldnt they?

Using DF as an example, a generic character dressed in DL or Dragonslayer armor would look alright in a volcano or Dragsvard/Ice setting however for a more Jungle like or Ruin like setting i feel Ranger is more closer to the feel desired.

Simply i agree that a generic character(S) should be created but i dont feel setting a set class would be all that good (unless it is a chickencow armor or one of its variants, or Big head armor)

All this talk of generic characters reminds me of Leeroy, Grodd and Amani from AQ and almosts makes me wsih that this Generic Face of DF and his/her counterparts could have a tad of a backstory and could be played as character (they may even introduce newer players to several mechanics of the game like the fix it quest) however that would be extra work so forget it.

In conclusion, yes to the generic look of the character, no to DL as it is not playable by all perhaps Dragonslayer? Or Paladin. And name Him Leeroy Jenkins. OR Chewbaca.

In case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 34
5/17/2017 1:30:24   
LouisCyphere

How about using the Warrior Class?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 35
5/17/2017 2:57:38   
Greyor_42

@monstervet

well, the thing about dragonlord is, whether or not you buy the amulet, you ARE canonically a dragonlord. besides, it's kind of dragonfable's trademark class anyways, so it DOES make sense that the Hero would be represented with a placeholder that is wearing the dragonlord armor.
DF  Post #: 36
5/17/2017 3:54:28   
dark garuda

Urmi mate, don't worry at all. There's nothing wrong with expressing an 'unpopular opinion', especially 'cause it's not like this is a matter of life and death! It's good to get a good variety of outlooks, and I can see the point.

I think the default hero would be fairly safe, as long as it's used in a fairly limited fashion - mostly OOC and out-of-game, in promo artworks. I can see the point. Ingame, it's an extremely funny topic. Because there's never really been a 'default' for the ingame, yet at the same time there is as we don't have a great deal of choice in dialogue and actions to take.

It kind of reminds me of Kaiser from Maplestory, to use an example. Same words, but depending on whether you take him at face-value, as an adventurous lad striving for his potential; or if you think of him as someone who's been foisted upon with a destiny he never desired, that he's lost everything in service of, but he knows he can't stop until it's finally over. The character changes a lot with how you perceive him.

It's a case where we don't have any power over our hero's actions. But we do have the ability to decide their motivations; whether they're a bleeding-heart do-gooder, simply one who has to let out a sigh and realise that there's no other real choice, or something else entirely. Most of the dialogue, you can read into it a fair variety of ways as long as they're not so maleficent that they really just wanna blow the world up. I don't think adding an image to represent the standard hero would damage that.

Class(es) are a good point, though. 'Course, it's good to show off what DF's got to offer, but it's also effort to put them in many different outfits unless essentially ingame images were to be lifted. There's no classes which have a stated impact on the narrative no matter what (to my knowledge) besides DragonLord, DragonRider and SoulWeaver (and tbf I'd be cool with repping SoulWeaver as the overall, even if it is a bit counter-intuitive, because the whole saga is so damn good. Like if anyone asked me to borrow my char and what they should play, it'd be that and Blood and Roses no question). Most of the rest just have a story footnote to them, and it's your choice how far you take them as it should be. But it would make it a little strange to use most of them as go-to promos because of it, I'd guess. On the other hand I take the point that it could cheese off some newcomers when they find out the cool DL armour the protagonist was depicted in is for gameplay a paid option.

< Message edited by dark garuda -- 5/17/2017 3:55:23 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 37
5/17/2017 4:17:59   
Alamiran

@Monstervet I agree, the Dragonlord armor wouldn't be fitting in all situations, so I'd say they should use different classes for different environments, and then make a link to the forum page for that class. It would have to be story classes, that aren't based on base classes, so that people won't start thinking one of the base classes is better than the others. It would be a good way to show new players all the amazing class designs the game has to offer.

Anyway, I think it's a GREAT idea, and I agree with calling the default hero "The Hero"

@Below EXACTLY!

< Message edited by Alamiran -- 5/17/2017 5:49:42 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 38
5/17/2017 4:45:54   
LouisCyphere

Would it be possible for Tomix to have the "Poster Hero" change class depending on the quest?
For example, if the release was about the Weaving Saga, the Poster Hero could use the Soulweaver class.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 39
5/17/2017 6:11:18   
Cherubic Card

Personally, I'm not a big fan of having a "default hero" ala Mass Effect. It's a pipe dream, but I still hope against hope that one day we'll be able to have characters that are more unique than just a different face and name. Having a cardboard cutout plastered onto the new release splashes kind of stomps on that.

Silhouettes have been used before, and I think they work fine. In addition, if there is a central NPC to the release quest, then it should be easy enough to splice them in. Less work, more sense. After all, Dragonfable's wonderful story (that's NOT sarcasm) is driven by NPCs. We, the players, and by extension the hero, have no driving force on the narrative outside of "go to this place, kill everything in your way, and retrieve this thing/destroy this thing/do this thing."

Many are in favor, and majority should rule. However, my peace is that it is unnecessary, both aesthetically and in terms of work. Whereas I appreciate the cheeky, and admittedly valid little bit at the end where you stated "....And if you're really imaginative, you can replace the default with your own canon hero!" that's not good enough for everyone. It's like a book where they leave the ending open, with intent of the reader trying to fill it in. I personally have never liked that, to me it was always the difference between reading an epic novel, and staring at the wall trying to think one up for yourself.

So that's me. I personally don't like the direction this step would take the game. Also don't like the extra bit of work it would create for our development duo.
Post #: 40
5/17/2017 6:17:38   
s_venom

Wouldn't it be easier to put a helmet on the Hero face?
That way you will have the default Hero, But no one will feel like there Hero is not original.
AQ DF  Post #: 41
5/17/2017 6:46:56   
dark garuda

^ Ooh, now that I do like! It'd be like Guardian Kain 2: Electric Boogaloo, and y'all better know I'm always down for that.

(Speaking of which, I actually only got out of the hospital, work and back to the game like a week back. Last I'd played was The Doom Amulet. Thanks for not killing Kain! And I can't wait to see what role our boy ADAM has to play in the future, now that the mask is off! And the heart wounded, too.)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 42
5/17/2017 8:21:02   
brotherinlaw

Well, I'm a little late, but might I suggest another option, since this idea appears to be polarizing the community a bit?

I might suggest, rather than a generic hero, why not two NPC's utilizing different non-CC classes, base or otherwise, and their own dragon. This would accomplish what Tomix wanted without compromising the individuality of the character.

Just an idea though, Tomix. I liked yours as well. Don't feel you need to change it because there are some issues, controversy and argument come with every change!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 43
5/17/2017 8:44:04   
mahasamatman

Hmmm. I'm on the fence here.
On the one hand, it seems like a fitting thing to do, making the weekly announcements and game promos feel more tied into the game.
On the other hand, I kinda agree with Urmi - The game's story is already very linear, with practically zero alternate paths/choices (at least until we get Fleshweaver). That is not bad in itself, but it offers very little in terms of character customization. However, being able to name the character and choose colors, choosing your own class and items, and creating a specific character build (even if it would be a simple or obvious one) is the only place (in game) where it feels like we can really choose our own path. Creating a "standard" character would (partially) take this away from us.

There are some very good games in which you play a specific character in a specific storyline. Some are linear (like Shadow of Mordor) and in some you have room for choices (like The Witcher). Currently DF is almost one of those- the difference being you play your own character.
I realize the suggested character would only be a placeholder, and not really change anything game-wise. Therefore, I'm not against it. However, the aforementioned problem is definitely a matter that should be taken into consideration.

Lastly, I have two less directly related, but IMO nonetheless relevant things to say: 1) IIRC, other AE games currently do not have this type of basic/standard character, and 2) Making the character a Dragonlord, although thematic, might annoy newcomers who find out you need to pay to actually play as this character, making them feel as of this was a pay-to-really-play/pay-to-win game, while in fact it is not.

Edit: I support brotherinlaw's idea. In the loading screens, there are usually 2 NPCs in their natural environment- It seems fitting to do the same for showing characters in the game without upsetting anyone. Ash and Aria (book 3 versions) might be the best choices.

< Message edited by mahasamatman -- 5/17/2017 8:51:11 >

His followers called him Mahasamatman, and claimed he was a god.
He never claimed to be a god, but then, he never claimed not to be a god.
Circumstances being what they were, neither admission could be of any benefit.
Silence, though, could.
DF  Post #: 44
5/17/2017 8:55:49   
brotherinlaw

^Hmm, I was thinking of original NPC's, maybe some older adventurers who started before us and are still going, but having ash and aria do it sounds better. Book 1 or 3 though?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 45
5/17/2017 9:52:20   
HwarangxDxArcher

Agreed with Amon, giving a literal name might give the wrong impression to people who are new to the game. Title, on the other hand is a pretty good idea.

Perhaps something like 'Saviour of Lore' or 'Bored Adventurer' or just plain 'Hero' or even the word 'You' could fit these character.

DF Epic  Post #: 46
5/17/2017 10:32:14   
Edorath

We're getting our own derplander boys! How do you think its hairstyle will be? The default brown one, something else?
AQ AQW  Post #: 47
5/17/2017 10:47:59   
Skyflakes

I'll go with these default ones cuz that's always get in my mind whenever I think of DragonFalble Hero(es). They are the icon for me.
AQ MQ AQW  Post #: 48
5/17/2017 10:55:40   
SilverAngel
Friendly!

If we want to keep the Hero as ambiguous as possible so it's easier for us to insert our own character then something like the hood option might work but the hood only looks good with the mage robes IMO. Is there any other helmet that might work if we don't want a hairstyle?
DF AQW  Post #: 49
5/17/2017 11:05:18   
Edorath

Yeah Skyflakes, those are the ones i was talking about. Mostly that male one, since it's the one that shows by default in both genders.

EDIT: Wait nevermind, the female one is more swept-down ish.

< Message edited by Edorath -- 5/17/2017 11:08:15 >
AQ AQW  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition