Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!
Page 3 of 3<123
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/17/2017 11:21:02   
Raviel193

Sounds good to me. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 51
5/17/2017 11:47:37   
lastspartan

It would make the screen shots look better and if there were being advertised it would make it look really cool. I only bring this up cause, when I see a fellow student play on armour games there is an ad for adventure quest world. I wish that there was an ad for dragon fable like that ad.
Post #: 52
5/17/2017 11:54:54   
Dark Sapphiron

I remember forum contests for hero designs about 7 years ago, and they were so SO varied and so different, considering how much time passed and how many new items are out - everyone hero is so very unique its mind blowing. Grounding that richness to a single hero image feels off somehow, like it make the game less personal =/
What I like about DF and Artix games is character "continuity", how they always appear throughout all of the games, I love how many different characters the game has, Valencia, Galanoth, Safiria (omg *_*), and many other amazing faces that would do a much better job than a default face ^_^

< Message edited by Dark Sapphiron -- 5/18/2017 6:37:32 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 53
5/17/2017 13:08:28   
G.t.h

I'm ALL for this idea, and for a name how about...Lorde?
AQW  Post #: 54
5/17/2017 13:46:06   
Cherubic Card

I am Lorde, yah yah yah!
Post #: 55
5/17/2017 13:59:37   
Dark Lord Urmi

The obscured face idea i can get behind, it's easier to place your own hero in the shoes of the promo character that way.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 56
5/17/2017 15:41:07   
Timsii

I'm pro, but I also think a name would be a bad idea. A title should work fine.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 57
5/17/2017 16:09:25   
supersonic805

I remember seeing the name Omar being tossed around as the name of the Hero once. If I had to choose a default name for the Male Hero, it would have to be Omar.

Edit: Found an archived link to a deleted Wikipedia Article. Someone used the name of their character, Omar for it previously. You can see it here.

I still support the idea of having the male hero named Omar with all my heart..

< Message edited by supersonic805 -- 5/17/2017 21:09:14 >
DF  Post #: 58
5/17/2017 19:08:11   
dragonhelper99

I believe what makes the hero "the hero" is because of their versatility, dragonlord is basically cannon at this point but shouldn't the dragonlord be something like... what the hero will become in the future, also, since Aegis is shown in the main story to be one of the important characters (what he does late in chapter 3) what if the hero was a soulweaver since he was training as one when he received Aegis, or if anything, make them any class depending on the world they are in, for example, dragon lord when the situation is incredibly dire (chapter 3) pumpkin lord for Halloween and ranger when exploring, if you don't wish to limit the hero just by defining 1 class as "cannon" then make them every class for different ads

One option that could be done is using Ash Dragonblade, he does fill the "hero" role fairly well and he is one of the few characters who we actually see grow. A completely new character could be made however that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

As for names go, a title would feel less restricting because, lets face it, as soon as a character gets a "default name" everybody is going to want to use it (me included).

And finally, the face, always the controversial topic, if you were to add a hood it would only look good on a select few classes, same goes for a helmet, the default hair seems to go with most classes (don't like the way it looks like on the mage and rouge classes but that's just me) a completely new hairstyle could be made but most likely everyone would want that too

either way I'm looking forward to see what you will choose to do.
Post #: 59
5/17/2017 21:48:24   
Detroness

I agree with the point being brought up about the potential pay-to-play message that could be inadvertently sent to new players if the Promo!Hero is a Dragonlord. Maybe any Promo!Hero images could have the a Dragon Amulet somewhere in the picture? To indicate that the class requires a Dragon Amulet to utilize? The amulet doesn't necessarily have to be on the Promo!Hero, however.

However, I would prefer that the Promo!Hero be referred to as 'The Hero', regardless of which selected class they're being promoted as, in addition to the background each respective class hero is paired with i.e. Promo!Hero Master Soulweaver with Ravenloss or Pellow Village as the background. Locking in a default name for the Promo!Hero might give prospective players that this name will be their characters name when they create a character, which isn't true.

Plus, even Sepulchure refers to the player's hero as 'Hero'. Can't argue when the big baddie acknowledges - albeit with a lot of snark - your character as a hero.

Not sure about Promo!Draco... In the hatching cutscene, Draco is presented as all green. Maybe stick with the all green color palette? One thing I do want to see, if Promo!Draco is present (and maybe not just for Promo!Dragon Lord Hero), more Promo!Draco and Promo!Hero shenanigans, being silly or being mischievous, simple things that show the strong bond between the Promo!Hero and Promo!Draco.

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.
DF  Post #: 60
5/18/2017 2:18:20   
Lord Alsvinich

I am admittedly a bit unsure about the idea, I just feel as though my hero will seem wrong. I feel as though at the very least the "Promo" hero should where a helmet
I also feel as though it might take away from the Hero as a whole, not to mention it would give the idea of one hero, one of the things I have loved about this game is the community, especially during wars I feel as though the one hero thing might take a bit away from that.
Post #: 61
5/18/2017 2:54:37   
dragon_monster
Banned

Let me ask you something promo creator will you have in the promo item, skill classes or appearance that you can not obtain in the game? Because if you do not it does not matter how the hero looks or not. Just do not put double handed cool looking katana and not have them in the game like the previous game staff did. Nobody likes to be tricked.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 62
5/18/2017 10:44:29   
Skullkyopi

I'm good with this. I'm kind of in the opposite side of Lord Alsvinich's thinking. I always felt 'MY' hero wasn't really "THE" hero and only thought of them as 'A' hero. If I wanted to make 'MY' own hero then I'd rather create a totally different character with a different purpose rather than imagine my own character and superimpose it on the 'REAL' hero.

Did I make sense?
DF MQ  Post #: 63
5/18/2017 12:35:17   
Jovan

This actually sounds like a good idea. I think that the default warriors that show up at character creation would be better choices than the bulky DL armor, just because of space constraints.

"We do not allow foul language, nudity, extreme realistic violence or drug/alcohol use in our games." - The DF Parent Letter
AQ DF  Post #: 64
5/18/2017 18:12:18   
Boxer2380

The nice thing about calling our hero "The Hero" or "The Hero of Lore" is that it's not a name; it's a title. You can still give them a name, and not feel like you're doing something wrong. Plus, a lot of other games have done things like this:

The Elder Scrolls Franchise - "The Eternal Champion", "The Hero of Daggerfall", "The Nerevarine", "The Hero of Kvatch", "The Last Dragonborn"
Fallout Franchise - "The Vault Dweller", "The Chosen One", "The Lone Wanderer", "The Sole Survivor"
RuneScape - "The World Guardian"

As for the appearance, I think you should have them in default-color DragonLord (normal or evolved, your choice) armor, with either the default face or a face-covering helmet (probably the Dragonmaster or DragonLord helmets). That being said, if there's an armor set that is related to the quest being released, you could show them wearing that armor. For example, if you were doing this while the Ravenloss Saga was going on, you could choose SoulWeaver armor.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 65
5/18/2017 20:41:30   
Detroness

Adding onto the in-game lore (Seppy refers to your character as "Hero"), the game introduces your character with the text "A Hero is born bored." in Book One. (Replayed the Introduction and goodness is it gorgeous!) Not only deconstructing the hero's beginning trope by starting off funny, signaling to the player the initial mood of the game. At least until the end of Book One, that is. By the time we get to Book Three, the text reads instead "A Hero is Thawed.", continuing the trend set off by the introduction/in-game lore.

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.
DF  Post #: 66
5/19/2017 1:25:57   
Shiny_Underpants

I've read all the responses, and I can't help wondering...
The main problem appears to be that people want to preserve the many faceted aspect of the hero.
The Egyptians really knew how to do a relatable protagonist

Would it be possible to use a different player's hero each time? By creating an in-game option for Dragonlords to save their Hero's setup to a bank of them (provided they met set criteria), each release could feature a different vision of the Hero.

The only problem then would be if it involved a front view. But if it's simply side on shots, this wouldn't involve more work than posing the base Hero model for the shot. Well, it'd make work for Verly to set it up, but it wouldn't add to the weekly workload.

I do support the idea of having promos with more than a faceless silhouette, though.
As for the name, I know people are against it, but in my experience, the right name should please even them.
John and Jane Smith
What type of name would this be? Forum name level (i.e. contains bad puns), or a normal sort of name? Mythological?
Sir Viorr

As for the class, I agree with most of the others who are against it; Dragonlord is a little bulky for my liking, and it's not really that commonly used.
The class should encapsulate what is most distinctive and original about the game. And that would have to be Soulweaver, or an Atealan class. These are the most distinctive, especially Soulweaver.
Or Chickencow, though I suspect that's not the angle Tomix wants with the game.

Or it could be a combination of two existing classes, something I'm sure Tomix would know all about. Though I personally support Soulweaver.

< Message edited by Shiny_Underpants -- 5/19/2017 1:27:04 >
DF MQ  Post #: 67
5/19/2017 10:26:34   
Subon

Isn't it too late for that now?
I'd much prefer if the small DF team worked on other, more important things instead.
Post #: 68
5/19/2017 16:04:45   
GammaCavy

I think a silhouette works best. Take the Calamity finale promo, for example. The silhouette was perfect there, adding to the drama and tension wonderfully. However, Shiny, Dragon_monster, and Jovan all have good points though. If there has to be default hero image, it would be cool if s/he is in the armor relevant to the quest. If that's too hard to do, Shiny's idea of saving several images and cycling through is also cool, but has the downside of things like difficult back items. I know the Atela Wings take up a lot of space, and so does the giant Gold Fish. Such a thing would have to save hero images as they are in the moment of the submission, and not link back to the player's ID, since that's where the saved item data shows. And Dragon_Monster is right that it showing an item that's NPC locked would frustrate a lot of players who join to get that awesome weapon.

sincerely, your friendly neighborhood warrior thespian dark lord and counter guardian Gamma Cavy
DF  Post #: 69
5/19/2017 16:13:51   
SilverAngel
Friendly!

Maybe it's just me but a silhouette kinda feels... bland in my opinion. Yes a silhouette can work as Gamma mentioned in the Calamity finale picture but to use it for every picture might make things look weird. What if they wanted to include some facial expression; I know we don't have a lot now but what we do have works for what's it's needed for. Plus it might look kinda weird if there's someone else in the promo that isn't a silhouette, if everyone was then I don't see anything wrong with it.

< Message edited by SilverAngel -- 5/19/2017 16:15:36 >

DF AQW  Post #: 70
5/19/2017 19:50:54   
GammaCavy

Silver has a good point. I hadn't considered the contrast with other characters in the promo. I guess I'd say to alternate silhouettes, in a solo image, with a default in the armor of the updating questline for group images.
DF  Post #: 71
5/22/2017 19:49:24   
PurgeXZ

Based on his hair, I dub him...
Phoenix.
Post #: 72
5/28/2017 0:17:58   
Doomful Lord

As for scythes, looking around the DragonCrest or Twin Blades of Glory. OR you could always make a new one, I'd just say it'd be important to be able to get that scythe in game. If possible we should definitely be able to fully clone said NPC. I wouldn't do it, but sometimes I like to look like that default character to sort of give myself a different roleplaying experience.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 73
5/28/2017 0:29:47   
GammaCavy

How about the Vanilla Ice Katana for a default weapon, and the Galaxy Cowl for a helmet? iI shows the lower half of the face, but leaves enough to the imagination, while also carrying an air of mystery.
DF  Post #: 74
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= May 16th Design Notes: Default hero!
Page 3 of 3<123
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition