Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=AQW= Design Notes, July 17, 2017: This Weekend: Return to Battleunder

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest Worlds] >> AQWorlds General Discussion >> =AQW= Design Notes, July 17, 2017: This Weekend: Return to Battleunder
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/17/2017 19:41:23   
  Solanaceae

ArchKnightshade of AQW GD/Q&A/Guides

quote:

July 17, 2017
This Weekend: Return to Battleunder
We lava new Battleunder zones!
Battleon hasnít always been the most peaceful place, but this weekend your home is on red (hot) alert! With dragons circling in the sky and earthquakes ripping up the ground, thereís only one thing for a Hero like you to do -- descend to the deepest reaches of Battleunder and destroy whatever threat you find! (Spoilers: Is it fire dragons? It is probably dragons!)

But beware, Hero! Where there's lava, there's heat... and sulfur. The sulfuric gases leaking through the caverns WILL make navigating the tunnels treacherous and disorienting.* You might even feel like the map is completely random. ** Keep your wits about you and a cool handkerchief, because the closer you get to the source of the quakes... the hotter it will be!

And as you adventure through the tunnels, keep an eye out for the following:
  • A super-powerful and wise Dragon creature who can tell you more about yourself
  • A mysterious 7-sided box
  • Hapless adventurers who need rescuing
  • Caverns of treasure to loot
  • A cave full of dragon-goat hybrid creatures?!?!?!
* If you're worried about not having a map for this dungeon, you can always flash back to what the DragonFable team suggested its players do.

** Spoiler: this week's map is partially a random dungeon. It's been a looooong time since we've done one of these. We hope you enjoy it!

Hot Rewards On Their Way
Several new sets are headed your way this weekend. Collect Lava Gems to forge new permanent gear (like the Lava Guardian Warrior set below), grab loot from the Treasure Pile (IF you can find it), and find the Draconic Oracle armor in the July Featured Gear shop (only available until August 4th).

Battleunder: the Basics
If you've never been to Battleunder before, you're in luck! You've got 3 or 4 new zones to play through before this week's release! Battleunder is a vast system of caverns and tunnels that lies directly under the town of Battleon. Paladin Yara is your guide, sending you on quests to take out monsters and recover sweet loot.
  • Battleunder: explore the new cavern system with Yara and recover a powerful blade.
  • BattleunderB: Yara is back with new quests... and a mysterious magic chest she needs you to open!
  • BattleunderC: Your mission here is crystal clear - the undead have penetrated into crystal caverns, and we need to clear them out.
  • BattleunderD: An ancient water spirit is trapped inside this icy region. Free her and reap the rewards (Legend-only)
  • BattleunderE: Explore the hottest new area in Battleunder to discover the cause of earthquakes rocking the town above. (New this week for all heroes!)
Tags: Alina,

Hmm, randomized dungeons? Hopefully it's nothing huge like The Neverglades in DF. I find it a bit strange for BattleunderD to be Legend-locked but not E, though; The /battlegroundX maps were all free, with the Legend variant having an entirely different name.
DF AQW  Post #: 1
7/17/2017 20:24:20   
paskyfer007

So, no 7 deadly dragon saga for this week? Great, just great.
I think AQW's storyline is just like One Piece.

< Message edited by paskyfer007 -- 7/17/2017 20:49:06 >
Post #: 2
7/17/2017 20:42:53   
flyingmongoose

Guess its time for the "filler" release while they spruce up the next part of the 7 Dragons release which is Slayer's Rise.
Judging from those images, its going to look exactly like the XanCave setup which makes me depressed and want to stop playing this game for another two months.
I would expect them to release actual decent plot relating to the Dragonslayers after what I would consider a flop with Valsarian, but what do I know.
---

Silver, I hope you're being compensated well to post this stuff all the time. Seriously, do you do it free?
This is the supposed "Big Summer Release" helmed by Artix which is hardly a filler arc.
A thing I would like to refute is that the dragons are "world destroying" when so far we have had:
First three dragons are for farming.
Glutus eats a lot of stuff and gets stomped.
Valsarian is supposedly proud of his heritage and power but can only take over ONE whole town and then gets dunked on by villagers no less.
Last point is that Galanoth and friends have genocided a lot of the dragons with Lore still in fair condition so Im leaning more towards the dragons being overgrown rats with magic.

I for one am looking forward to the Million Dragon War aka Turkey War 2.0

< Message edited by flyingmongoose -- 7/17/2017 22:28:21 >
AQW  Post #: 3
7/17/2017 21:58:22   
Silver Sky Magician

Surprised to see the negative comments when this week's release has great potential to be really unique and fun. An interactive random dungeon, a beautiful new map, cool new items, important hidden lore, and DRAGONS! Seriously, this is as good as it gets. A filler in the middle of a filler arc is nothing much to roll eyes at, and besides with dragons involved it might even somehow be linked to the Slayer's Rise release. I've seen a fair amount of criticism of the 7DD plot but nothing concrete about what is expected. Do you want us to save the world 7 times from 7 different world-destroying threats in 7 weeks??
Epic  Post #: 4
7/17/2017 22:10:35   
Aura Knight

World destroying threats? Are these dragons even that dangerous? One got stuck in a cave because it ate too much and the other lost to a splash attack. Scary.

I don't think it's right to just have these dragons defeated in a single release. Not much of a threat if it takes no more than 10 minutes to beat them. I want each dragon to take longer to beat and maybe a few could require a war also. So far we've had rescue missions and in the gluttony release we still have someone tied up even after we defeated Glutus. Guess we don't really understand how a rescue works.

This upcoming release may seem like a filler but it sounds more interesting than what we've been getting. Maybe we'll actually find one dragon that doesn't want to fight so we leave it alone or befriend it. I'm guessing the sloth dragon could be the one. If it's too lazy to fight, why should we go defeat it?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 5
7/17/2017 22:33:35   
fxmybrute13

A 7 sided box. Do you guys think it'll be a
  • Heptagonal Prism (where the word sides is interpreted as number of edges on a main face)
  • Fully truncated Triangular Prism (where the word sides is interpreted as total number of edges) (couldn't find an image of a fully truncated one, only a partially truncated one)
  • Hexagonal Pyramid (where the word sides is interpreted as total number of faces)
  • Pentagonal Prism (where the word sides is interpreted as total number of faces while keeping a standard box shape)
  • Some thing else?

In any case, goat-dragon hybrids. Reminds me of the Donkey from Shrek
DF AQW  Post #: 6
7/17/2017 23:09:19   
ShatteredReality

I thought all boxes have six sides, not seven. A seven sided box would be impossible by definition.

quote:

A super-powerful and wise Dragon creature who can tell you more about yourself

spoiler:

So... more stuff on the Eternal Dragon of Time?
AQW  Post #: 7
7/18/2017 3:34:39   
Foulman

@ShatteredReality
Boxes don't have to be cubes or prisms.
AQW Epic  Post #: 8
7/18/2017 9:29:55   
Icebane

Yara, either make sure you have resistance/immunity to fire, or equip some of the flamescourge armor from Glutus. None of us want to see a paladin burnt to a crisp.

spoiler:

Paladins are destined to meet their end by being told their shoes are untied.
AQW  Post #: 9
7/18/2017 10:22:03   
ShatteredReality

That's weird... if Yara is a paladin,

spoiler:

shouldn't Vordred have killed her? Maybe he couldn't find her in battleunder?
AQW  Post #: 10
7/18/2017 10:31:34   
thulsa doom

@ShatteredReality
I think it's the Galanoth-arm scenario: she is considered to be lost in Battleunder until you've played that part of the game.

Gotta say I'm kind of excited for this release -- it's always nice to see an old area get a little lavalove.
AQW  Post #: 11
7/18/2017 10:44:53   
teravor

Jeez, when was the last time Battleunder got an expansion? We're still waiting on that Elevator!
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
7/18/2017 11:05:18   
Silver Sky Magician

@flyingmongoose and Aura Knight

You missed my point entirely...I was being incredulous with that last sentence, I think it would be bad writing for the 7 dragons to ALL be world-destroying threats. In fact a threat of that level would hardly be conducive for the humour and levity that made the last few releases enjoyable.

I have been a consistent critic of AQW's storyline, especially the QoM arc. I don't know what your expectations are for this arc but mine have been more or less well met. What exactly do you want to see? What release in AQW's history impressed you, which you would like to see more of? I think this 7DD saga is thus far a notch below the Throne of Darkness saga, but is more interesting than past summer events like Return of the Devs or even many of the 13 Lords of Chaos and QoM releases. It's already above average.
Epic  Post #: 13
7/18/2017 13:22:34   
Rtkat3

We already know that the first and second layers of Battleunder are normal, the third level has crystals in it, and the fourth level is icy. When we enter the fifth level, it will be fiery.

Alina confirmed on Twitter that one of the NPCs in the fiery level of Battleunder is a Draconian.
AQ  Post #: 14
7/18/2017 14:06:18   
ShadowMoon

quote:

World destroying threats? Are these dragons even that dangerous? One got stuck in a cave because it ate too much and the other lost to a splash attack

soak attack your mean
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
7/18/2017 15:18:47   
Saiacosta

I hope to see Drakonnan
Post #: 16
7/18/2017 23:43:38   
paskyfer007

One "deadly" dragon story line could take more than one week to complete. For instance, you beat the "deadly" dragon, but it managed to escape and became threat to other location. How 'bout that? Or the dragon seek for help, but instead make a deal with some kind of power.
I don't say I want the boss harder. I want the story longer, and focused. Actually I kind of hyped up with this "deadly" release (and got disappointed with "deadly" dragon got knocked down by water), and this kind of oh-so-good-art-but-no-story-impact-beneath-it make me, like, meh.

< Message edited by paskyfer007 -- 7/18/2017 23:45:07 >
Post #: 17
7/19/2017 13:38:14   
Rtkat3

@Saiacosta The last Drakonnan we saw was a Time Golem. If the AQW Team were to make plans for Drakonnan or his son Drakonnan II, they would've announced it already. Drakonnan's brother Drakonnas was last seen in the Void as part of the Void Challenge map.
AQ  Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest Worlds] >> AQWorlds General Discussion >> =AQW= Design Notes, July 17, 2017: This Weekend: Return to Battleunder
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition