Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Aspects of other AE games you would like to see in AQ3D?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> Aspects of other AE games you would like to see in AQ3D?
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/18/2017 16:00:48   
solaurusX

What aspects of AE's other games would you like to see incorporated in the AQ3D? I feel as though AQ3D is a love letter to all the other company's games and would love to have the best parts of each put in.

IMO:
Adventure Quest's large amount of content (probably the hardest as 3D games take much more work)

Dragonfable' storytelling and character building

AqWorld's freedom of personalization and classes

Mechquest's creativity
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
7/18/2017 19:40:32   
One Winged Angel1357

I'm going to be the black sheep here and point to EpicDuel. It would be great to see meaningful gear choices depending on your class and what it's function is.

This was lost as things became more homogenized later in the games life cycle and due to the competitive nature of the game but seeing as AQ3D is a kooperative game it could lead to meaning roles if we can just break Artix from the idea that every class should be able to do everything and you can do everything alone.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 2
7/19/2017 5:22:22   
Foulman

AQ elemental shields, armours and weapons. AQ spells, where you can learn an inventory of spells for use in battle that you can buy or craft. That'd also be like HS, where you can customise your own skill set. You'll need to spin the skills wheel around to reach all of your skills and spells, like in Zenonia's skill wheel.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 3
8/5/2017 8:19:31   
Phlynch

Dragon fable's long running arcs and continuity are my favorite things about the game, and it kept me coming back for years until I finaly couldn't take the level scaling negating all my progress anymore.

Keep the writing, burn scaling in the hell pit that spawned it, and AQ3D would be amazing.

< Message edited by Phlynch -- 8/5/2017 8:20:12 >
Post #: 4
8/5/2017 8:50:21   
Paulus Xiphos

The elements-based damage of AQC and DF, tho I believe this is part of AE's plan for AQ3D.
AQW  Post #: 5
8/5/2017 10:11:13   
Phlynch

quote:

The elements-based damage of AQC and DF, tho I believe this is part of AE's plan for AQ3D.

The problem with this is inventory space.

In AQ you have an inventory space for each element in each slot, so keeping a full set for each element isn't a problem. In DF your inventory is a single pool, but since there isn't a whole lot of gear that offers great elemental resistance you really only need a wide variety of weapons. And since most enemies don't have a particularity exploitable weakness even that's optional.

In AQ3D you have 7 equipment slots, even if they cut electricity and ice that's still 42 items you would have to carry at all times, in addition to crafting materials and your cosmetic gear.

Plus it's not turn based, so you don't have time to check weakness and swap out your gear between every single fight.

I love the element system in AQ and to a lesser extent DF, but the way AQ3D is set up it's just not practical.
Post #: 6
8/6/2017 6:23:36   
XeNON_54

You could probably use an "Enhancement" system similar to AQW but instead of changing an items stats it changes an items element.
That way you can keep inventory use down to the items you want while being able to use whatever element you need.
Post #: 7
8/6/2017 9:19:13   
Vypie

Having Elemental damage/resistance is a mistake for this type of game (MMO).
I bothers me so much when new games try to replicate this system from old games just because it used to be a thing, without thinking about the problems it would bring. It's a half-assed attempt at adding depth.

For example, 'World of Warcraft' also used elemental resistances in the past, but they realized that not only it was not fun, it was a bad system.
It's incredible how many games try to copy something from the old 'WoW' to their MMOs, thinking it's what you should do to be just as successful. But since then, the 'WoW' developers learned so much and got rid of what didn't function well.
Talent-trees are another thing many developers try to include in their new games, just because that's what was done back then. That too was reworked by the 'WoW' developers. It was an old system from when things and ideas were still being experimented.

Why elemental damage/resistance would not work for THIS game:
-When the answer to beating an enemy is having the right elemental stats, the focus is put out of the skills and strategy/gameplay. It should be about how the skills function and how to react to the monster's skills, rather than just FLAT stats.
-Farming for too many sets of items is a problem. And every time the level cap goes up and new content is added, all those sets become obsolete. Even if they are still used, there's the problem that you are only using an item 5% of the time.
-If elements come from "enhancements" that you can put on a single set, then you will be constantly farming for the materials back and forth to have an edge. But if the elements are made swapable at will without the need to re-enhance all the time, they why do you even have that system in the first place?
If you just swapped your resistances for every monster you would fight, not only it would be tedious to do, but the whole system would cancel itself out.
-If classes have elemental attacks or defenses, then choosing a class for a fight is brainless. Instead of choosing based on the skills and synergy, you wouldn't need to think twice. How fun would it be, really? "Undead boss! Everyone swap to holy damage class!"
-And if you made the fights hard enough to REQUIRE those elemental stats/classes, that would just put all other options out of the picture. But if easy enough so it wasn't required, players would ignore it.
-It doesn't add fun or depth. You just add numeric values and ZERO gameplay substance. Fights still play the same way, or EVEN LESS if you can just ignore elemental attacks, rather than reacting or avoiding monster abilities.

Where does it work, though?:
-In games where you control a multitude of characters, each with different elements. The opponent will likely have different elements as well, so it's not just "Water vs Fire". It's "Water/Earth/Dark vs "Fire/Ice/Lightning", and you have to balance out utility skills with elemental power to win.
-For example, some of these games include FinalFantasy, Pokemon.
-In MMOs you only play with only one character. Imagine playing Pokemon, but only 1 vs 1 fight. Guess who wins?

It's a better option if they use their resources/time to instead improve combat/gameplay in general.

< Message edited by Vypie -- 8/6/2017 9:24:43 >
Epic  Post #: 8
8/6/2017 22:48:46   
Exodiarc

More character customizability like in Aqw.

< Message edited by Exodiarc -- 8/6/2017 23:19:07 >
AQW  Post #: 9
8/7/2017 19:36:03   
Phlynch

Hide helm and cape from AQW. I'm sick of having to use either a monocle or brain slime if I want to see my hair.
Post #: 10
8/7/2017 21:51:15   
Iron Volvametal

^ I think I remember a tweet from Cysero that they're going to introduce Unarmed & "Unequipped" Costume pieces...for Dragon Crystals. ^

Hopefully, it's not too much for the Costume pieces, Unarmed I'm fine with being like 300-500DC(at least it won't be Member-only like AQW).
AQW  Post #: 11
8/21/2017 2:50:33   
Neo21

What I want more than anything is the AQC Darkovia stuff. Like Werewolves and Vampires and Werepyres and Dracowerepyres and Donovan and Cenara and Balius and... rants on for another few hours

I'm just kinda sad that vanished from AQW

< Message edited by Neo21 -- 8/21/2017 3:22:32 >
AQW  Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> Aspects of other AE games you would like to see in AQ3D?
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition