Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: What Genres do you wish to see in Dragonfable?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: What Genres do you wish to see in Dragonfable?
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/22/2017 11:34:40   
Shiny_Underpants

Please guys, this thread is meant to be a safe place to discuss your opinions. I'd rather keep a friendly atmosphere, because this is the sort of thread that's designed for less confident people to discuss things.
Please don't post to contradict others; only refer to someone else's post if you have something to add to their point. Otherwise things get too intimidating.
I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.

@below
Why not have a go suggesting what would work then?

< Message edited by Shiny_Underpants -- 7/22/2017 12:09:17 >
DF MQ  Post #: 26
7/22/2017 11:52:27   
Lord Run

ahh i gess i did missed it Greyor_42 lol

but still Silent Hill ether way is a bit extrime i just watched on youtube and i thing that DragonFable in its corent graphic can't give the propper jump scares and all that
i mean 50% of what realy make the game Silent Hill is the grhapic and the sound and well DF and AE usealy not useing voice acting.
so i dubte it can even being done properly,trying creating that will or make feel players uncomftrable and thouse who do love it will just be massively disapointed.

< Message edited by Lord Run -- 7/22/2017 12:03:09 >
Post #: 27
7/22/2017 13:15:41   
Varios

More chickencow saga.....jk

I like the game just as it is.....it has references to other games and stuff for example ash's energy sword reminded me of megaman ........I have played many rpgs,jrpgs.....they all have a very good plot eg, chrono trigger, final fantasy, shin megami tensei, diablo etc but none of them have fight style like dragonfable (my reason for playing DF), unfortunately Lord Run is correct, with the current graphics and animations it would be difficult to add such content and for it to be appealing. However, the game is growing bit by bit and you can already see much improvements in terms of weapon/town/NPC/monster design in book 3....I'll let the devs to surprise me and give something different and creative.

BTW PLEASE make more cool weapon designs like the doom dragon axe and not the pony shank thing (lol though its stats for a lvl 1 weapon are outstanding)
Post #: 28
7/22/2017 13:33:15   
Dracat6097

A romance between our hero and another hero we could create, I... I just don't want my LoKi to die alone, I want him to find the love of his life(And well save the world at least 10 more times...)
DF AQW  Post #: 29
7/22/2017 13:39:25   
Greyor_42

actually, one other genre i'd like to see more(and more faithfully) represented would be mystery.
DF  Post #: 30
7/22/2017 13:41:19   
Dark Lord Urmi

*sigh* Whenever i talk someone has to take everything i say 100% literally.

I said the STYLE of silent hill not one for bloody one silent bloody hill.

Atmosphere, Creepiness, horror you don't immediately recognize until it's settled then it's far more unsettling than ANY jumpscare im talking about horror with depth not blood rust and possible adult themes.

so run please stop putting words in my mouth it's quite frustrating if you are unsure about what i mean please ask but don't assume.

< Message edited by Dark Lord Urmi -- 7/23/2017 16:06:53 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 31
7/22/2017 23:19:06   
monstervet

@Dark Lord Urmi, i apologize for the misunderstanding (i believe we are on the same side, however we have different opinions on what an acceptable amount of fear and torture the Hero should obtain, and how much they can take)
A perfect example of your hypothesis would be Job, He lost everything, sons and daughters, worldly possessions, money, then he was stricken with leprosy. A lesser man would've cursed god and died, he did not, while the Hero can not be compared in a similar manner, i doubt he would be on par with Job.
Basically, i see it as a slippery slope, Jaania, Drakonnan, various characters in game exist who have fallen victim to this slippery slope.

If the Hero would dip his toes in fear (not drown in it, as that would create a Vengeful ghastly wraith of the lake of Fear) i see no problem, if he were to be imprisoned in fear (allowing him out of that prison would turn him into a Jaania like being).

As for the concrete thing.... makes sense, but in reality the manner of which to lessen the dissent of the fall would be by parachute. thus lessening the amount of adrenaline received as no real danger was present, those who do not fear death are also gripped in less fear (as a person who was raised in a culture who are raised to not fear death, in fact we make a festival of it).

so yeah... I would like more horror, sally is a decent character to create childish fear (no limiter, no filter, she can be dangerous), yet i can not take her seriously. Various villains have shown a knack for villainy, but none go the extra step to break some legs to prevent the prisoner from escaping, none have locked Konnan in a cell next to a fire Dragon with an orb showing Konnans family being destroyed by Akriloth. None have truly dived into the abyss to pull something out. Kathool was enjoyable, but it could be far grander.

@Greyor
quote:

actually, one other genre i'd like to see more(and more faithfully) represented would be mystery.

i would actually enjoy this, combined with the above, and possibly a Machiavellian character who plays all the characters as pawns in his/her hand would only add to the thrill.

I'd enjoy taking rock samples and cataloging fungi.... Actually i would. Although in DF that would lead us to being attacked by their "parents" a conglomerate Golem would be a fun fight, different rock samples may or may not contain different elemental properties. Fungi would most likely create spores that would grow quickly ( basically like Jack Strife and Pumkin Pi)

We do need more traditional adventuring, perhaps aided by the discovery of exotic species of dragons, traditional magic techniques lost to the world, weapons of ages past, relics to be discovered in the tombs of great kings who lead crusades against the avatars themselves (or something of comparable power)

I'm sure we will explore new areas, and learn about new peoples, its just i'd enjoy it a lot more if we could put most of the Rose behind us.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 32
7/27/2017 12:14:23   
Shiny_Underpants

^It seems that Geopetal was perhaps a little too literary in her writing.
The themes in the Rose saga, especially under Geo's direction, were quite subtle; the sort of thing you'd expect to see from a literary novel, rather than an adventure or fantasy one. While I certainly appreciated this, it's important to write for your audience to some degree; much of the community appears to have missed the points raised somewhat, and become jaundiced against some of the deeper characters, especially Jaania.
Whether or not that's justified, it wasn't the intention.

It appears the main genres desired are Mystery, Psychological Horror, and Adventure.
I agree with Greyor that mystery would be nice to see. I still like Kaizoku's suggestion of something heartwarming, but alas, all seems lost in a well of fear and torture.

I've noticed that horror does make a lot of the audience uncomfortable, so if that weren't an option (on its own, anyway), what else should be used? For example, if there was a questline with a little more warmth in it, what should that incorporate and how?
Or, how should one portray a Machiavellian villain without traumatising the audience too much?
This last one is actually very interesting to me.

Quests like the 'Just Chillin' one with Aegis would be the closest thing to a date you'll find in Dragonfable; where you explore the pursuits and emotions of another character. This is definitely character-based, even though it also ties into the plot. The closest equivalent to that quest elsewhere in the game would be Raven's 'Missed Raven' quest.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of those. Possibly some equivalent of that for Jaania. heh.

The first page in a very serious nutshell:
Urmi: '--and make the hero suffer a lot.'
monstervet: 'All hope should be restricted to the very end, to ensure the most despairing despair possible before hope shines through.'
Urmi: 'I second that, I would definitely trust someone who has nearly died over someone who hasn't. It shows that they know how to take care of themself.'
Kaizoku: 'Erm... wouldn't it be nice to have something that warms the heart, instead of giving it palpitations?'

(The actual conversation)
Urmi:
quote:

spoiler:

I would love some silent hill style mental torture/horror

monstervet:
quote:

spoiler:

Those he loves, his allies...turn them against the Hero.
His goals, his dreams, make them impossible or better yet make them obsolete.
His beliefs, his code by which they live by..destroy it.
Leave Hope until the very last, Until. The. Very. Last

Urmi:
quote:

spoiler:

It's like a knight with polished and unscathed armor vs a knight with scarred and damaged armor, who do you trust to protect you more? one who clearly never tasted real battle and has little understanding on how one would be like or one who survived each battle placed before them, we are talking human knights not godly "can't be touched by any attack" knights.

Kaizoku:
quote:

spoiler:

Something really heartwarming.
DF MQ  Post #: 33
7/27/2017 13:20:00   
Kaizoku

quote:

Quests like the 'Just Chillin' one with Aegis would be the closest thing to a date you'll find in Dragonfable; where you explore the pursuits and emotions of another character. This is definitely character-based, even though it also ties into the plot. The closest equivalent to that quest elsewhere in the game would be Raven's 'Missed Raven' quest.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of those. Possibly some equivalent of that for Jaania. heh.

These are definitely another thing I'd like to see. With so many new characters getting introduced (or re-introduced) in Book 3, I'd like to get to know them better.
A silly little hanging out quest with Dove, for example. It's the kind of thing I believe would work well for those smaller releases that would re-use old assets.
Post #: 34
7/27/2017 19:01:02   
Dark Lord Urmi

quote:

much of the community appears to have missed the points raised somewhat, and become jaundiced against some of the deeper characters, especially Jaania.

that's not fair shiny just because we don't like something doesn't mean we don't understand it is it not possible that we DO get the points and just don't like them? :/

< Message edited by Dark Lord Urmi -- 7/27/2017 19:05:44 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 35
7/27/2017 19:14:36   
rater202

Honestly, I'd like to see more stuff about our dragon--where the eggs came from in the DF timeline, or what them temporarily turning human when purified means and what was unblocked--especially if there are mechanical changes like more elementalization tiers or a new form of the dragon--I wants me my cute little boy/girl human form dragon raveling companion!

...Could be Mystery/adventure elements in it, if there's just enough hints about where the eggs came from to tell us where we need to go digging, or if we find some lost information about dragons/dragon magic/the orbs/order and chaos/something else relevant to out dragon in the process of figuring out what was unblocked.
AQ DF  Post #: 36
7/27/2017 19:58:33   
Frigus

I made a thread a while back asking and wishing to see the cosmic beings and powers of DragonFable. I'm still keen on it because the multiverse, personifications of aspects of the universe, and all those things interests me greatly.
Post #: 37
7/30/2017 12:50:46   
Dagoth Ur

I'd be happy with seeing more of Book 3 Lore, especially if it can still focus on the Rose. Seeing some older places again, like Amityvale and Ravenloss, was awesome. And seeing Xan again would be cool as well, since he was one of the first villains that the hero just couldn't stand up to when he was first introduced. It would also be interesting to see Edelia as an actual explorable area as well, especially now with the Book 3 Tomix arc being finished.

Another thing, that has less to do with old locations, is seeing characters that you wouldn't think would interact to actually interact. We got a bit of that with Kara going with us to Edelia, so it would be cool to see other characters who resist the Rose, but who may not be aware of each other, work together.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 38
8/2/2017 15:24:47   
Steel_King

Umm... I feel like a lot of this discussion around horror, psychological manipulation, and the breaking point of the Hero is missing something. Something big. Really big. With tentacles.

I myself want to see more Vaal in Dragonfable. I know he is dead-ish, but his sheer character was overwhelming, with.... Vaal-ness practically leaking into every scene he was in. I mean, the arrogance? The ego? THAT LAUGH? I got goosebumps he was so... alive.

spoiler:

We have seen the beginnings of Roirr, why not a Vaal: Origins quest chain? See his connection to Olizabeth, his rise and fall as a hero, and reveal how the hidden Secundus manipulated this tragic hero from his beginning to his end.

The Harvest approaches

I am the Reaper

Sing a song of Crows...
Post #: 39
8/2/2017 17:03:14   
lastspartan

I don't mean to be rude but isn't this a suggestions thread.
Post #: 40
8/2/2017 21:40:41   
Dark Lord Urmi

^
In the same way as the inn at the edge of time thread is a listing thread.

seeing as nobody is asking or demanding these to be in game...no and its kinda upsetting that people confuse talking about what COULD be cool as a suggestion as it kills a lot of interesting topics over a misunderstanding.

< Message edited by Dark Lord Urmi -- 8/2/2017 21:49:46 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 41
8/6/2017 4:16:27   
Shiny_Underpants

quote:

~original: @lastspartan
I don't mean to be rude but isn't this a suggestions thread.

It's more of a feedback thread, really. As I stated in the opening post, it is actually a form of market research.
Threads are defined as much by what's in the topic as what's discussed within them. Since the majority of it is discussion and feedback (which is interesting for me at least, if not for the staff), it is not a suggestions thread. If you want to know more about that, ask a moderator what defines them.

quote:

~original: @Dagoth Ur
Another thing, that has less to do with old locations, is seeing characters that you wouldn't think would interact to actually interact. We got a bit of that with Kara going with us to Edelia, so it would be cool to see other characters who resist the Rose, but who may not be aware of each other, work together.

I agree that this would make things a lot more interesting.
We'll also see it with Danyel's presence in the Land of Dragons, in the post-Gala chaos. He knows about the Magesterium, probably abhors both the Magesterium and the Rose so... things are going to be interesting.

quote:

~original: @Steel_King
Umm... I feel like a lot of this discussion around horror, psychological manipulation, and the breaking point of the Hero is missing something. Something big. Really big. With tentacles.

While I would argue that most things would benefit from this addition, I agree.
A well written arc centering on Kathool would be a good way to address the psychological themes... and traumatise half of the playerbase in the process.

quote:

I myself want to see more Vaal in Dragonfable. I know he is dead-ish, but his sheer character was overwhelming, with.... Vaal-ness practically leaking into every scene he was in. I mean, the arrogance? The ego? THAT LAUGH? I got goosebumps he was so... alive.

Vaal has to have been one of the most overwhelmingly distinctive characters in the game, given how little he was in the quests. Hence, so many players said he was their favourite character.
Though perhaps too much of him would reduce the effect somewhat.
DF MQ  Post #: 42
8/6/2017 5:11:56   
Alamiran

What I'd like to see, is events all over the world, with Secundus secretly appearing, seen only by the players, manipulating everyone, changing the outcome of events, in order to ensure his own existence. Secundus is, quite honestly, my favorite villain-ish character in DF. His design and manipulative nature kinda reminds of Erebus from AQ. I'll always love to see more of him. And him interacting with characters from ALL of Lore, not only the ones from his own questline.
I totally agree with Dagoth Ur, seeing characters from different locations and questlines interact with each other makes for some of the best quests of all story wise. Like the Black winter, where all our friends had been brought together. Something I liked about the latest quest is also that Belle mentioned how Caitiff had weakened Willowshire's defenses. The other questlines impact the story as a whole. They matter.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 43
8/6/2017 14:02:24   
LurkBlackSmith

Mystery with a hint of evil comedy gold. Like somebody smashing down to destroy a formation connected with a front doorway of either keep/sect,etc entrance three times first from the sky with a flying cauldron and shouting to swipe away the given treasures. Then two times for a student to give him/her experience to try to take down the grand leader ancestor. While we're watching from the sidelines of the place that happens to be a Rose stronghold.

< Message edited by LurkBlackSmith -- 8/6/2017 14:08:09 >
DF  Post #: 44
8/7/2017 15:31:00   
Dark Lord Urmi

Speaking of Vaal and secundus if we are going for more light hearted stories id love one where after we finally meet secundus we learn there is more vaal in there then we once thought and he is a kind of an accidental goof at times currently i seem him as chaotic neutral so i think this would work for his dual being.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 45
8/11/2017 13:16:00   
Steel_King

@Dark Lord Urmi
It is going to be really interesting to see where they go with Secundus. I hesitate with your classification of chaotic neutral though, as many of his (their?) actions have been pretty messed up. Murdering (Dispersing? Re-killing? Was it a temporary phenomenon?) Baltael, manipulating dozens of people to live their lives in the way that would enable his coming, basically inventing and then teaching forbidden magics to Roirr, and who knows what else?! He may have had reasons for it, but it is still horrific.

BUT...

I do want to know how the balance between Roirr and Vaal works out. Are they singular, minds fused together, united in purpose? Or allied, sharing the same being and similar goals, but having distinct aspects of themselves.? Basically, does Secundus say "WE" or "I"?
Post #: 46
8/11/2017 13:36:58   
Greyor_42

@steel king

quote:

Murdering (Dispersing? Re-killing? Was it a temporary phenomenon?) Baltael, manipulating dozens of people to live their lives in the way that would enable his coming, basically inventing and then teaching forbidden magics to Roirr, and who knows what else?!

actually, pretty much ALL of those fall exactly under chaotic neutral

quote:

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom.

in fact, the only thing that differentiates him from being chaotic neutral is that everything he's done was a SCHEME, which only makes him somewhat less "chaotic". at its core principle, chaotic neutral is the drive to improve your own standing in life for the sake of improving your own standing in life, regardless of how it affects others. if it benefits others, sure, fine. if it hurts others, well, they aren't you, so why should you care? that's the core thought process of someone who is chaotic neutral, and that's more or less exactly how secundus thinks. he only does something if it makes his life better in some way.
DF  Post #: 47
8/11/2017 14:38:48   
Kashlikaro

Definitely something with warm-and-fuzzy feelings abound. Sure, Lore is falling apart at the seams and intercontinental war is just over the horizon, but quests like Just Chillin', Return to Lymecrest, and just about half the dialogue with quests involving Tomix - quests that show the Hero's other aspects than snark and Evilus-Smiteus-Righteous would be very much welcome. It's all well and good to play the part of an unquestionably Good-aligned, nigh-unstoppable Hero with a probably giant, sometimes literally flaming likely holy sword, but one of the core aspects of a good Hero is showing their more caring and relatable traits. Some days, I really do prefer the combat-less quests that show our Hero's kindness and depth of character, more than anything. Considering the generous amount of expressions we're allowed now, my hopes are certainly up that we'll get many more scenes like this.

Characters that are good for these quests are the current Ravenloss characters (Like, all of them.), our Dragon (Has there been a quest where it's just been us and our Dragon enjoying life? That needs to be a thing. Choose-Your-Own-Adventure would work wonders here. Also, we need moar of those multi-choice quests.), Tomix' family (That's got a good chance to be really feelsie. Also an excuse to have the setting in the Tkaaine and the surrounding region), Falwynn, and possibly Lynn (Who since she finds a dragon adorable, could have a run-in with Aria and her tamed monsters?).

Maybe a trip to Death's Realm just to have a chat, some encouragement, and make small talk with a few characters the Hero's lost? We got the tiniest bit of that kind of thing at the end of the Calamity Saga, and now I find myself wanting more of that. With or without an almost traditional tussle with Death himself, for old time's sake.

All in all, quests that aren't necessarily heroic, with more of a focus on the characters themselves just getting to be them. Tragedy, mayhem, and scheming can wait, can't it?
DF  Post #: 48
8/12/2017 10:26:44   
spirit of greed

What i would like is some big ol' dark and/or mysterious releases. I always liked the dark type quests and they always had great plots like the:Water orb saga, the Tomix saga, the Caitiff saga etc..
On the other hand Dragonfable is a game for mostly kids so the staff's hand are bound when it's about dark releases. I'm still surprised the we got a child death and the entire Caitiff saga in general.

I'm still waiting for the rest of the darkness spirits to visit us, the ones from the Caitiff saga when Kathool was messing with Caitiff's mind. They are more powerful than Caitiff so it would be a waste not to have them in the game.

A release with Death sounds interesting and we barely had any release with him despite how interesting a character he is.

A proper quest with the book 3 Konnan. The little conversation we had in book 3 was too short. I want to see what he was doing while we were frozen also fight with him beside our side like in book 2 and just generaly bonding with him. Yeah sure he was a jerk in book 1 and was threatening lore but he also helped us save it in book 2 and he looks civilized but cautious.

Visiting other timelines. This has been a long long thought of mine. The Inn at the Edge of Time was a great idea, whoever came up with it kudos for him but it's not the same. The inn only have other versions of the players. Imagine if other versions of us are so interesting how interesting would be the rest of the lore where they come from? I wish we could visit the timeline where the player is a necromancer and they raised first Serenity and the rest of Falconreach after that. Or the timelines from the spoilers what was given to us by the doomknight player (except the ones what is from our timeline of course).

The hero learning the truth about grams. Seriously after so many years everyone (except Sepulchur and us the players) thinks she was a spy who betrayed us for Sepulchur, even her family thinks so too. How messed up is that!? She deserves better than this. Either learning the truth about her or she telling us in case she survived the fall somehow.

We training Ash. Who wouldn't want some bonding moment with Ash? I have to admit i always liked in book 1 how he looked up to us and it didn't changed even now.

Chilling quests like the one we had with Aegis with our other friends would be nice.

We get to see how the weaving/Tomix saga ended but how about seeing how the rest of the corrupted spirits (wrath,lust,pride,gluttony and sloth) were banished by Tomix? They always looked like wasted characters to me at least.

These aren't suggestions rather my thoughts about the game over the years.

< Message edited by spirit of greed -- 8/12/2017 10:29:01 >
DF AQW  Post #: 49
8/26/2017 12:56:28   
Shiny_Underpants

quote:

~original: @Steel_King
I do want to know how the balance between Roirr and Vaal works out. Are they singular, minds fused together, united in purpose? Or allied, sharing the same being and similar goals, but having distinct aspects of themselves.? Basically, does Secundus say "WE" or "I"?

Tomix has stated that Secundus is 'his own being', though I can't find the quote now. Essentially, he says 'I'.

quote:

~originalk: @Kashlikaro
Characters that are good for these quests are the current Ravenloss characters (Like, all of them.), our Dragon (Has there been a quest where it's just been us and our Dragon enjoying life? That needs to be a thing. Choose-Your-Own-Adventure would work wonders here. Also, we need moar of those multi-choice quests.), Tomix' family (That's got a good chance to be really feelsie. Also an excuse to have the setting in the Tkaaine and the surrounding region), Falwynn, and possibly Lynn (Who since she finds a dragon adorable, could have a run-in with Aria and her tamed monsters?).

Choices are currently very difficult to implement in the game, especially choices with weight and consequences. Since every choice creates two new scenarios to deal with in every piece of related story content.
However, if dialogue choices were incorporated into friendship quests (like Just Chillin'), that would almost resemble a visual novel. I studied a few of those recently, and I've discovered two things:
1. They are great for extremely dialogue heavy stories.
2. I don't particularly like visual novels.
In any case, a system like this would require changes only in facial expressions and written dialogue; no heavy animation involved. Great if you've got some volunteer writers you want to whip.
I'm not sure how stretched their resources are, but something like this, or a test of such for a filler quest might be... interesting. It'd be adding a new gameplay mechanic, in a way.
I do personally find it frustrating sometimes when good characters are given little development. This might provide a more concise way than, say, the additional unlockable characters like Alexander or Ash.
And Riadne and Eirn's personal quests still await.

So the primary things people want to see seem to be something either horrific or heartwarming, or both.
Kathool's psychological torment is an incredibly useful story device, though it was never used to full effect. Imagine if it were utilised in a truly Machiavellian way...
As for warm and fuzzy... how exactly might this be done? I'm sure necromancers have their ways of warming one's heart. It seems that it'd be easier to do something character based in this case, but how?
And we may meet Aquella again, in either capacity.

Wow, I took my sweet time replying. The timer ticked over while I started writing it then ate dinner and looked at cat pictures wrote it *crosses fingers and hopes thread isn't locked*.
DF MQ  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: What Genres do you wish to see in Dragonfable?
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition