Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=EC 2017= Forge Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2017= Forge Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/24/2017 0:00:42   
  Starflame13

The brick and mortar that held Bren together felt charged with an arcane power. Every stone, every wall, and even every person was transformed, filled with a wild frenzy of excitement and anticipation. Chaos rained the streets as mages and guards, shopkeepers and innkeepers, armourers and weaponsmiths and every other citizen rushed into preparation. The Arena did not awake until it was ready, but once woken, had little patience for waiting.

Vendors started calling out as the city gates were flung open, attempting to draw the attention of the hundreds of visitors now streaming into Bren. In between slight pauses for food and refreshment, or to exam this stalls goods or that, the tide of people flowed steadily past the markets and buildings and eventually over a surprisingly sturdy cobbled bridge onto Supplicant's Way. High above them the Arena towered, growing larger and stronger with each passing tournament, ever-watching as potential combatants and spectators alike slowly passed under its shadow towards the barred gates to the complex.

There, the crowd parted. Thousands came to watch, dreaming of entering the trials beyond, but only a select few ever had the daring to follow through with such a monumental task lurking ahead. Murmurs filled the air as the stands slowly filled, stories being passed of the years and trials gone by, and questions rising above the clamor. What challenges lay in store for the competitors? Who would be risking life and limb to compete? And which Element, championed by one Paragon alone, would claim victory?

The gates to the Arena swung open, and began to answer.

Unfamiliar sigils, glowing a fiery orange, lined the halls that lead to this arena. An ancient script, unrecognizable to the residents of Bren, jagged and unsettling. Cool stone walls gave way to warm, black rock, as the runes became less and less frequent. The remaining light pulsed, almost as if to a heartbeat, as the air grew hotter, and surprised murmurs were heard from the crowd above.

Perhaps this strangeness was why the Arena has slumbered for so long. It had needed the strength to rekindle the Forge.

Iron gates swung silently outwards, releasing from within a torrent of black smoke and a wave of heat. A vast cavern revealed itself, made of the same black stone that lined the walls outside. Rather than smooth polish, however, the walls here were filled with cracks through which gleaming lava could be seen flowing slowly, illuminating the arena in a dancing, orange light.

Pillars of black stone, cracked and pulsing like the walls, dotted the arena. They rose tall, their tops vanishing into black smoke that formed the ceiling above. Through the grace of the Arena's magic, spectators from above could see the combatants, but neither sight nor sound from outside found its way into the crater below.

All eyes, however, were instantly drawn to the pillar at the center.

The black stone at its base crumbled to reveal a column of pure magma, flowing upwards through the smoke and blazing so brightly that it hurt to look at for long. Vast amounts of heat emanated from it, warming the entire room. Flares and flames danced along its edges, hammered into form by the Arena itself but uncontrollable to the contestants within.

The sheer aura of its power told all watching that it mattered not what fire protection they may have. The Arena would melt any who dared to attempt to harness its magic.

A deep voice boomed out, reverberating through the walls and causing the lava to gleam brightly between the cracks. Though it spoke alone, it was felt in the very bones of all who listened. "You stand now in the trial of the Heart of the Forge. Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!"

< Message edited by Starflame13 -- 7/24/2017 0:29:48 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
7/24/2017 21:15:12   
Axicia

It's time.

Michelle could feel it in her small bones, a wild, anticipating presence that beckons all to finally go wild, to show off their skills in the name of the Elements. Even the fire burning within her danced with excitement as the softer orange hues of the illuminating lava gave way to slivers of sunlight managing to slip through all the overpowering shades of grey, black, and orange. The smoke obscuring the gate has cleared itself, beckoning her to come.

She shook her head and smiled. Even with their authority, the Elements are like a bunch of children with too much power on their hands, if all the other arenas are made as grand, as self-representing, and as beautiful - she had to admit - as this. The heat did not seem to bother her as she put her navy blue jacket on over her white shirt. She gave her gloves a couple of tugs and clenched her hands, before heading towards the gate. Runes littered the hall leading outside, some of which she tried to examine, before a sharp headache and blurred vision made her stop.

Wow, are you too proud to cover the sigils, but too afraid if someone sees it? Michelle pinched the bridge of her nose to refocus her sight, and she decided to just look at the exit, not in the mood to anger the Fire Lord further. The runes became less and less frequent and gave way to cracks filled with lava, and at least, she was out.

The arena was tall, that much she could tell, but the strangest thing is how it is deathly quiet. Rows and rows of audience have an ecstatic expression to them, all in a cheering pose presumably screaming for their chosen adventurer to win, yet the only sound that reached her ears was the breaths of her opponents and the slight thumps of her heart from her excitement.

To her right is… a child? Well, appearances do deceive... To her left, a pale woman stood. She observed the other combatants and gave several odd looks at what she presumed was a mutilated human-bug hybrid and an odd creature she presumed was a cross of a bug and a gnome. However, that does not mean these two look less funny. Michelle stifled a laugh.

"Hey, blue-man. If your fight is as good as your looks, this competition is a joke."
Post #: 2
7/24/2017 21:56:50   
TormentedDragon

Their reception had been a testament to the nature of the city, with nary a glare nor a sneer sent their way, for all they were the reds and greens and yellows of the trod-on gobs and struggling to keep the skittish horses all in line. A few looked curiously on at the rather over-large wagon the gobs were dealing with, with its curiously lumpy tarped-over baggage, but nobody tried to stop them or kick them.

Having seen a man-sized snake thing chatting casually with a man made of fire on the way in, he was not in the least surprised. Nothing to fear from a gob pack, nothing to goggle at either. Gobs’re just a thing that is, for most. Time for changing all of that.

Which meant finding the danged place. He flicked his goggles up and snatched the scroll out of PikNuk’s claws (good thing, too, daft gob was about lick it), eyeing it carefully. Humescript was always so hard to make out, ‘specially with whatever mushhead they’d had pen this thing. Forge, yes, but where the thing was… pointless directions, for newcomers. Mostly useful thing was big iron gates.

He blinked, then looked up. Ah. Big iron gates. He spun around and flicked his goggles back down, striding for the back of the wagon and shouting at his cohort. “Tak’ it down, gobs, we’s here! Nakler, stop poking the hoss’ stomach and get them ties cut, PikNuk I catch you reaching for m’ belt ag’in I’ll eat your hand.”

The next few moments were a flurry of shouts and activity, four of the gobs managing to lead the horses away from the wagon while Ee-nuk himself and five others disappeared under the tarp. The cursing redouble within seconds, lumps of movement below the beige canvas showing all the gobs taking positions around whatever was inside. More grunting, more shouting, more cursing, and basically nothing had been accomplished.

“Sod it, get out ya gits, I’ll just stand it up!” came the final shout, and there was an exodus of lumps, clawed gob feet scrabbling on cobblestone to get away from the wagon in a distressing display of panicked haste. A moment later, the tarp ballooned upward with an odd metallic wrenching, stretching taut against its covered contents and the remaining ties across the wagon. “Blasted idiots! Tol’ ‘em to cut the ties, ain’ a one with brains!”

A moment later, the tarp went slack, just in time for an enormous spike to rip through the canvas like so much tissue paper. Through this loudly-growing hole came the rest of the arm, then the shoulder, and then the great orbic body of the rising metal monstrosity. Slowly, impossibly, the patchwork plated polypheme stood on its thick legs, the wagon groaning in distress. It raised one foot, and the wood beneath it gave way, splinters flying and metal legs crashing to stone with a resounding clang.

“Dung take it!” he yelled, wrenching on a lever to bring the meksuit’s fist down on the entrapping wood. “Cost a mint this ride did! Should’a kept ‘at troll on as a porter, ‘d be cheaper’n walking Boomer back.” A few more swings, and the wagon was so much firewood, nimble feet and hands directing the suit to kick its way out of the pile and stomp on over to the gates.

A flick of the button, and the speakers starting pounding out wild bursts of sound, booms and clangs and laughs and noise no instrument should make, woven together in a strangely bouncy beat. He grinned, ears twitching in time to it, claws shifting subtly in their machinations, and each step of the suit came with an extra bounce, arms swinging to the beat.

And so Ee-nuk Chuk va Tuktuk danced the BoomerSuit into the smoke-filled entrance and the heat of the Forge.

“Alright, impressive, sure enough. Not sure why they called it Forge, worse than useless for making things,” he muttered, eyeing the great column of glowing molten rock in the center. “Should probably be dead by now, too, what with standin’ inna volcano. Heat damping magic, more’n like,” he sniffed, scratching at his nose and looking toward the ceiling and the opaque, roiling black cloud of smoke that covered the whole of it. “Terrible ventilation, too, can’t see a thing out there. Thought this were a spectator thing, can’t sell tickets if none can see us. Eh, not my problem.” His eyes shifted back to the column of flowing death. “Wonder if…”

Levers shifted, and the suit’s spiked arm leveled, aimed for the magma. The beats rumbled, his claw tapped a button, shunting air and sound through Pukkroy’s cannon in time with the music. Small bits of smoke marked the blast’s passage, to dissipate completely harmlessly against the magma pillar’s form. He snorted. “A’right then, that won’ be a thing. Maybe jus’ push someone in. Watch ‘em pop. Heh.”

Claws turned a dial, and the music got louder, blasting through the whole of the arena and echoing off the walls wherever it could. He leaned forward and, claw on a button labeled ‘Taunt,’ spoke into a curious little grilled metal tube situated just right for his mouth. “‘Ow we doin’, brawly folks?” Over the music, impossibly, his voice rang out, speakers working his words into the ongoing cacophony. “Ready for a ruckus? Ee-nuk be ready, aye, so any y’all feel like tangling,” he said, spreading the suit’s arms, “then you come at me.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
7/24/2017 23:12:33   
Dragonknight315

As the onyx walls awoke, Alastasia shut her eyes. Above the clamor and excitement, she could hear the solemn voices call to her. Though miles away from Allevia, she was not alone. There, she prayed. “Makers, ancestors. . . Mother. Give me strength. I lay down my life, my sword, for you. Be with me, and take me to the ends of this life.” And as the gates creaked, she slowly opened her eyes, staring into the abyss before her.

Inside, it was dead silent. All she could hear was the clash of her metal along the floor. Immediately, the runes grabbed her sight. She ran her armored hand along the stone. In all her years, she had never seen magic like this before. It felt as if the stone was alive, pulsing with warmth and power. Only the makers themselves could have done this. How would she describe this sight to those back home? She smiled at the prospect. The earth rumbled, however, and she awoke into her senses. Just how far down has she gone? The cracks were brighter now and far less abiding. Just as she was growing restless, she could make out an unnatural curtain of smoke. This must be it. . . Stopping just before it, she traced her finger along the hilt of her blade. Her core stirred, and every inch of her body responded. It yearned for battle, for the clash of blades. She couldn’t help but smile.

When Alastasia stepped into the living hell, the smoke curled behind. At once, the full warmth of the arena was upon her. Choking without lungs, she felt the world swinging around and around. The fantasies, the excitement— any expectations she had were gone. The cold winds of her homeland were gone, replaced with a pall of unsparing flames. She reached for her chest and looked down, the sweat rolling from her heavy hand. “Fight or die, adventurers.” The words echoed in her head. Would this be her grave?

Gritting her teeth, she steadily looks up, shielding her eyes with her right hand. Through her fingers, the pillar of magma blazed in the center. So this is the “Forge.” She scanned the battleground for the others. With the glare and the pillars, it was hard to see. Her eyes stop immediately to her left. A tall mass with extra limbs and green skin. Is that some sort of bug? Perhaps the heat was already getting to her. She shifted to the right, and . . . A little girl? What is a child doing here? Further behind the girl, she there was someone else. Dressed in mostly black, it stood out from the veins of lava, but that was all she could see.
Everything was against her, and Alastasia could feel it. She slowly reached for her blade, drawing it out ever so slightly with her left hand. Hugging the wall, she slowly moved closer to the little girl, waiting for someone to make the first move.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 4
7/25/2017 17:00:08   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

“You don’t have to do this, you know…”

Silence.

“Come now, the least you could do is respond when I’m addressing you.”

“We obviously have incredibly different ideas as to what one ought to do, doesn’t that render this conversation pointless?”

“It’s a conversation that could keep you alive, I’d like to consider that incredibly purposeful, for me then, if not yourself.”

“If I- it were so important to you, one would think that you would at least make an effort to understand. We’ve had this conversation countless times and it always comes down to the same conclusion: you don’t understand.”

“Tell me then, tell me what I’m not understanding. Don’t simply leave me in the dark. Neither of us have made it this far without education, without seeking knowledge and understanding. Understanding is right next to me as we speak, why deny me of it?”

The two of them stopped, one first, then the other. Anki stood just behind their companion, gazing off into the horizon. The setting sun and sky met with the monolithic amalgamation of towers and structures of Bren. Nicales turned to face Anki, looking into their eyes with an inquisitive fire.

“I have to know…” Anki began, taking a second to breathe and organize their thoughts. “I need to speak to them. The ones who held our purpose in their hands, who pieced together our very existence and wove into us our every urge, whim, and want.” The passion and desperation in Anki’s eyes caught Nicales off guard, reflecting the sunlight and exuding a warmth to rival the very same sunlight.

“You’re limiting yourself, my friend. We are infinitely more than they made us to be, we have become greater than they ever were. Where they once stood, we now roam free. While they rest in the earth and sand, we still tread with their very essence underfoot. What shall we learn from them, other than how to sink an empire into the sand like a ship into the sea?”

“Knowledge as to what we are may be a place to begin. What are we, even? Why do we not seem to wear away and break apart like the ones with which we share our semblance? We don’t know how long we may last of if we were even created with the intention to last. This is our chance to speak with them, to learn our intended place in the world. We’re no strangers to adversity, my friend, and if a friendly spar is all that lies between us and those answers, I fully intend to take part.”

“You’re a fool unchanging, Anki, I want you to know that. If there’s to be no changing your mind, know that I will follow you to the ends of the earth, yet I can only follow you to the doors of the arena. Prove to me that my faith in you is justly set. While you’re at it, prove to me that you can make it to the city in time, it’s nearly sundown and we have but few days to arrive.”

The two of them brushed their way through the crowds, ducking, dodging, and even stepping underneath people to get through the crowded streets. Their stature awarded them little respect and no one seemed keen to step out of their way. Nicales caught Anki by the back of their cloak and held them in place, reaching back and pulling out a map with their other hand. Nicales peered down at the parchment, studying the lines and looking up every so often, scanning for landmarks.

“I can’t see a damned thing here, are the inhabitants of Bren supposed to be this tall? You were told you would be participating in ‘Forge’ yes? Right? Bah. Black gates. We’re supposed to look for black gates. Anki, go see if you can get up somewhere that you can get a good visual on where we’re going.”

“I do hope you realize that involves you letting go of my cloak first, Nicales.”

“Right, just go.”

Nicales released their grip on Anki before giving them a sharp push in the direction of the stalls of the shopkeepers that lined the street. Anki ducked through the crowd towards a stall and scrambled up the side with a greater nimbleness than one would expect. Cupping their hands over their eyes to fight the glare of the harsh sun, Anki fought the urge to count the people bustling below them, to make note of those currently pick-pocketing passers by, or to pounce on the small girl below who had just swiped a loaf of bread. They looked out into the horizon, making note of buildings and landmarks before nodding, flicking their eyes down to the road and back up again a few times, memorizing the difference in directions. Anki leapt down from the stall, landing just behind Nicales, barely making a sound upon hitting the ground.

“Black gates are directly west, we simply need to keep following this path and we will be led straight there.”

“Well then, that wasn’t so difficult, was it? Come on, let’s get you to that arena in time.”

The two of them continued down the street, finally able to walk side by side as they neared the gates to the arena. The black gates before them loomed above their heads. The arena seemed to grow larger and larger with every step closer. With this, Nicales grew more quiet and solemn with each step.

“You could die in there…”

“What?”

“You could die in there. You’ll be by yourself, in an arena of who knows what, fighting things you may have never seen before. You’ll be in unknown terrain with unknown hazards, up against all kinds of strange magics and I can’t be there to protect you from them.”

“It’s alright, Nicales, I’ll be fine. I’d give the shirt off my back to any man who could focus on me long enough to cast a spell so long as I have somewhere to move to. And this is a simple combat tournament, what kind of hazards can there be?”

“This entire city is laced with magics of all kinds. The residue of spells lies over us like a fog. It’s sickeningly sweet, too, bloated and twined with Deep Magics. It’s amazing how wasteful they are with these kinds of energies, the spell residue simply filling the streets. I’m amazed that their children aren’t born with two heads and goat’s feet. I’ll be fortunate if I’ve not grown fat by the time you return, but that’s not the matter. The matter is that the strongest and deepest of magics come from the arena before us. They exude power and pulse with change, I couldn’t tell you with any certainty what will be beyond those gates. You will need to be prepared for anything.”

“I see…I suppose it makes good sense, for a tournament in which a wish is offered to the victor to overflow with magics. It’s no real matter though, my friend. I will be faster, I will be sharper, I will use that which I have learned. I’m going to walk through those gates and return to you with answers.”

They stood now directly in front of the large iron gates which marked the entrance of the arena. Anki gave a sharp grin to Nicales upon noticing the smoke and dull glow coming from the passageway before them. Nicales looked back and forth between those gates and their companion, looking longingly in either direction.

“I trust you, my friend. I look forward to seeing you walk back through those gates, triumphant. Just… be careful, please.”

“I will be, I promise.”

“Oh! I brought you something as well!” Nicales reached into the bag tied to their waist, pulling out a spool of rough wire. “I know this isn’t as neat nor as finessed as you typically prefer, but please take it. I think it could save your life in a rough spot. The wire is braided and strong, but still quite flexible. The barbs are sharp and will cut deeper than any whip, not to mention it will do well to grip and tear. I had it made for you, I hope it serves you well.”

Anki grimaced, nodded, and attached the spool to the back of their belt, underneath their cloak. They looked up to Nicales with a reluctant smile and put a hand on their shoulder.

“Thank you, Nicales. You are a true friend and an irreplaceable companion. I look forward to returning.” Nicales reached out and shoot Anki’s hand, each gripping the others forearm and giving a solemn nod. The grip broke and Anki turned around and made their way through the gates.

“Return safe.”

Anki flicked up a hand in a wave, without turning around to look back. “You know I will, I always do.

Hot. It was ridiculously hot. The smoke choked at Anki’s lungs as they traversed the cavern towards the arena. Anki traced their hand along the rough walls, dodging the bright orange cracks. “Such an ornate feeling from rough cut stone. It feel almost alive. The flame seems to breathe its way through the cracks in the walls. I really do hope I know what I’m getting myself into.”

The cavern widened at the end of a path, opening up into a vast circular room. The black walls were as rough as the cavern, lifting up into a ceiling of smoke. “That must make it difficult for the spectators to watch, though what do I know? It could be magic, it’s likely magic. Nicales would know.” Out to their side, combatants stepped out from similar passageways, lining the outside of the arena. Anki’s eyes flicked between each of them, memorizing as much as they could in just a few mere moments.

“Two, three, four…..five. There are five others in here. To one side I have, I suppose that could be a child? Perhaps not, I should know from my own appearance not to be fooled. Out beyond her, I see the rest of my opponents. I have open space beside me though, good. Room to maneuver is good. I’ll just need- oh, I’ll need to avoid that pillar of flame in the center. Heat I can handle, more or less, but I don’t wish to try my luck with that.”

Anki sent a charge into their wire, one thick spool one thin spool, prepared to lash out should anything lunge at them or catch them off guard. They slowly stepped out towards the center of the room, sizing up their opponents and edging towards the closest pillar.

“There’s tension between the three to my side. The young girl and the armored woman may engage soon. And wh- what in the plane of fire is that unholy noise?

To Anki’s side, just beyond the empty bit of space, was a large metallic….thing. Whoever and whatever it was, it was loud, boisterous, and with any luck, a good target. Anki spooled out a bit of fine wire and tied it to a caltrop that they had pulled from their pocket. Focusing and flicking their fingers, the caltrop launched from their hand and embedded in the closest pillar, anchoring the fine wire to the pillar. Anki ducked and slid from pillar to pillar, ducking behind each as they went, leaving a fine, nearly invisible trail of wire behind and using a caltrop to anchor it to each pillar they passed. Anki kept a close eye out, attempting to flank behind Ee-nuk, hoping to catch them by surprise.

“Watch me, Nicales. I’ll make it through this and return.
DF  Post #: 5
7/25/2017 20:27:46   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

The phrase “a needle in a haystack” had come to mind more than once during his search. It amounted to the same thing frankly. Finding a specific tree in a forest was a veritable nightmare, even knowing that the particular tree in question was on a ridge providing a good view of Bren, one that was perfect for watching the sun rise over the city. That much at least, the courier had been able to tell Teras regarding his quarry’s long defunct camp. He was probably lucky that the messenger remembered that much. It had been years after all.

Nonetheless, he had wasted three days trudging up and down the forested hills around Bren in search of that accursed tree. Swearing and sweating, he chopped through underbrush and ducked low branches until he had finally found it. The marks were there to be read: faint gouges all but healed with the passage of time that nonetheless showed where someone had worked with claw and dagger to ascend the thick bole in search of a perch below the arboreal canopy.

So here the bounty hunter was, watching the sun climb over the city. The Iron Mantis stood high above the ground, balanced on a thick limb that extended from the trunk perhaps thirty feet up. Dark, wide-set eyes squinted against the growing illumination, and for perhaps the fiftieth time that week the Basilli Phas wondered what his target had been thinking.

Something drove her, that much was certain. No doubt it was something dark and terrible, to her mind at least. Teras had been a bounty hunter for more long cycles than he cared to contemplate, and in his experience the ones who ran the furthest and the fastest were fleeing some horrible action or consequence that they held themselves responsible for.

Lord Telan had not deigned to tell the Iron Mantis the details. He rarely did. Teras could still remember the meeting. The clan lord of the Kotka Bu had summoned him in the dead of the night, and Teras had arrived to find the normally unflappable man pacing before the banked blaze in the study’s fireplace, wings twitching open and closed in agitation. The Basilli Phas had only a moment to catch sight of the open missive on Telan’s desk before the lord glanced up and pinioned the mercenary with an intense gaze. “A matter has arisen that requires your attention.”

“In the middle of the night?” Teras was careful to keep his tone respectful. He may have been the Iron Mantis, but Telan was lord of the Kotka Bu, one of the masters of the Flights, and a man with a fearsome reputation in his own right. He also had very little in the way of humor. The Basilli Phas was well aware of this, but had never been able to resist needling the man... within reason. “It couldn’t wait until morning?”

Telan’s golden eyes narrowed. “If you are finding the terms of your contract to be burdensome, I can release you from my service.”

Which was the Kotka Bu’s normal rejoinder when he deigned to answer one of Teras’ barbs, and as ever, the Basilli Phas had no response to it. The subject of the Iron Mantis’ contract was an old and sore subject. As always, the implied threat of losing the protection afforded by his station with House Telan made Teras blanch, and he steered the conversation back to the matter at hand. “What matter, my lord?”

After a long, appraising silence, the Kotka Bu motioned the bounty hunter to the desk, and the short missive atop it. “Polemaetus’ compound was destroyed. Arson.”

The Iron Mantis frowned, digesting this. Polemaetus had been working on something, several somethings, that Telan had been keeping well under wraps. Lifting the scroll, Teras read through it slowly once, and then again. He recognized the signature at the bottom of the missive: Kennek Telan, the lord’s son. That all but clinched it then. Telan’s son was... exacting. There was a reason he was called the Red Butcher outside of the lands controlled by the Flights. If he said the compound was destroyed, then it was destroyed. “Surely not the Basilli For? Polemaetus’ compound should have been more than safe from a raiding party from the Colonies.”

“No,” the Kotka Bu shook his head, “it was someone from inside. One of Polemaetus’... servants.”

Teras arched a brow at that. “A servant? Polemaetus had, what, thirty guards in that miniature fortress of his? Forty? You’re telling me that a servant dispatched two score guards and burned down the madman’s laboratory? Even if the entire staff had been in on it, that’s pretty unlikely.”

“I tell you nothing regarding what transpired,” Telan replied stolidly. “But Polemaetus’ reports have been… erratic of late. He was hiding something since his acquisition of a number of new servants. There was one in particular that Kennek mentioned, an Enkeli. I suspect that she had a hand in this. I dispatched a rider to ensure my son detains all of the manse’s staff. You are to bring the Enkeli here.”

“You really think she knows something?” Teras asked, setting the brief note back on the desk.

“Yes. Polemaetus’ final report mentioned her only in passing, but I have known him long enough. He told her something, something he was hiding from the Flights, something he was hiding from me. It has to do with the Enekli, and I will know this thing.”

The Basilli Phas shrugged. “Fine, fine, have it your way.” You always do. Teras rolled his neck slowly and rubbed at his right shoulder. “I don’t suppose you have a name for her, so I know who to ask your son for when I arrive?”

Telan folded his wings at his back, staring into the fire. “Wiedii, Micha Wiedii.”

Such a small thing, a name. Two words that had devoured years of the Iron Mantis’ life. He arrived at the burnt ruin of Polemaetus’ manor to find the Enkeli fled. He had never quite been able to settle for himself whether or not Wiedii knew that he was searching for her. It hardly seemed to matter though. Whatever horror, and Teras had no doubt there were horrors given the mad inventor’s reputation, she had experienced in Polemaetus’ dungeon had been enough to send the Kissa Mar fleeing as though every demon of the pit had been on her heels.

Still, if demons dogged her heels, it certainly seemed as though the gods gave wings to her flight. The Iron Mantis pursued her across the territory claimed by the Flights, across the packlands of the Koira, and deep into the great Kaarme swamp. That was a terror of itself. The whole chase had been at that, a slow slog like one of those nightmares where you ran and ran but the monster from which you fled only gained on you step by implacable step. Only this was the reverse. No matter what he did, she only pulled further and further ahead.

But Teras had kept hunting. Whatever threat the woman might have posed to Lord Telan’s plans, what she might know of Polemaetus’ schemes, the Basilli Phas had no idea. By now, surely there was nothing she could have done to upset matters. Telan’s designs had likely played out to their ends during the lengthy chase. Mayhap the Kotka Bu thought his bounty hunter had failed or deserted. All Teras’ knew for certain was that he had given his word, upon his contract, to find the Enkeli, and he would find her, though the search brought him to the end of the earth itself. Even a mercenary had his honor.

The Iron Mantis mused on that thought as he clambered down from his arboreal perch. To be certain, this ridiculous hunt had carried him far beyond the shores of home, to new and strange places he had never dreamed existed. Wonders and horrors, bound together inextricably. Perhaps he would thank the Enkeli, once he finally tracked her down. Then maybe he would kill her for all of the hassle she had caused him.

The sun was well above the horizon by the time the Basilli Phas reached the outskirts of Bren. Teras hesitated a brief moment, squaring his shoulders and taking a deep breath before he marched into the town. He was greeted by the expected tingling discomfort, like claws scraping ever so lightly along his chitinous skin, as the static field generated by his body whispered back faint responses every time it brushed up against an intelligent lifeform. The Iron Mantis suppressed a shudder with an effort of will and kept going, falling into a steady march as he shouldered through the growing crowds. Cities were uncomfortable places for him, but he had long cycles of experience with discomfort. The initial shock would wear off soon enough, and he had business to attend to.

Regulen was tired. Tournament registration was in full swing, and he had been up dusk ‘till dawn running errands and handling tournament applications, and he could not have been happier with it.

The pageantry, the anticipation, the strange and unique entrants… He had missed it terribly last year. Still, he was tired, and taking a break at one of Bren’s taverns was just what he needed to be ready to return to work later that evening. Though even here he could not quite escape work.

A scroll sat on the table before him, a favor for a friend. Geoff had been approached by a man asking questions about one of the former entrants. It was not an unusual happening. The Elemental Championships was known far and wide, and attracted a massive audience. Fans and admirers wanted trophies, and from time to time certain relics disappeared from the complex’s vaults.

It was not a practice the registrar was comfortable with, but Geoff was a friend, and the request had been benign really: a copy of the documentation signed by entrants when registering for the tournament. The scroll in question was sitting next to Regulen’s hand, and the registrar stifled a yawn before lifting his pint and taking a long, slow sip of his drink as he watched the other patrons come and go.

The tournament always brought a crop of exotic specimens to Bren, Regulen mused as he waited. His eyes settled on one such: a creature with a definite insectoid air about it. Seven feet all told, unless the rather shorter human man missed his guess. Interesting coloration too, beneath his dark tunic and shorts, a sort of green-blue that wasn’t quite teal, though he could not find a better word for it, so perhaps it was teal. As the man - Regulen thought there was something masculine about the figure’s carriage - moved further into the tavern and ducked gracefully around a low-hanging chandelier, the registrar noted there was a faint patterning impressed upon that colored carapace. He wondered if it was natural or had been painstakingly incised. If it was the latter, the process must have taken a veritable age.

Regulen felt the first hint of unease as the tall, wiry fellow glanced around the bar with slow deliberation. That unease deepened as the stranger’s dark gaze fell upon him and the insectoid-human began walking in the direction of his table. Regulen’s eyes flicked around the bar swiftly before settling on the approaching man, and he had the sudden realization that what he liked best about the exotic and dangerous folks the Championship brought into town was that he got to observe them from the sidelines.

And this one looked dangerous, by the Lords. He had four arms, loomed over the seated registrar, and was kitted out with a wicked assortment of weapons hung on his back and at his hips. Regulen found himself sliding his chair backwards reflexively, clearing his legs from under the table to prepare for a hasty exit. He could not have been more surprised when the stranger spoke.

“Regulen, then. Your friend Geoff gave a passing fair description of you. The ability to accurately describe people is a useful trait for a courier,” the man grinned, “or a spy.” His voice was surprisingly light, though there was a faint accent to it that stirred a distant memory.

“You… You’re Teras?” Regulen winced as his voice cracked slightly on the question, feeling a flush cascade across his nervous visage.

“The one, the only.” The man replied theatrically as he sat. One teal hand reached out and drew Regulen’s drink across the table, lifting it for a sample. The shocked human hardly had a chance to protest before the tall man smacked his lips. “Not bad. Geoff says you have the item I’ve asked for.”

Frowning, Regulen pushed the scroll over the table to the man, eyeing his misappropriated drink darkly. “Standard disclosure. You could get it from any of the registrars.”

“Aye, but I wanted it from you.” The man opened the scroll, his dark eyes moving back and forth over the parchment. “Is it true what they say? That the winner is granted whatever he or she wishes for?”

Regulen shrugged. “So far as I know, yes.”

“Geoff says you handled registration for Champion Tharala.”

The comment was offhand, almost sublimely disinterested. Even so, it made the registrar bristle slightly. “So I did. What of it?”

“Nothing, just interesting to know.” Teras replied, eyes on the document. “She sounds like someone I met once, that’s all.” There was a long silence as he continued his perusal of the document. “How many people actually read this?”

“Um… maybe a quarter of the entrants in my experience, less probably.”

“Champion Tharala?”

Regulen blinked, peering at the man closely. “As I recall, yes. We discussed several of the provisions.”

“Mm, and Paragon Wiedii?”

“Para- Excuse me, but what is this about?”

Teras did not deign reply to that, continuing his review of the document for several moments. “I met her once.”

The registrar frowned. “Paragon Wiedii?”

“Aye, we come from the same land, after a fashion.”

Regulen sat up a bit straighter as something clicked into place inside his head. “I knew I recognized that accent.”

The black-garbed man favored him with an approving glance. “A good ear. Tell me, do you know where she went after the Decision?”

“I believe that she-” Regulen stopped himself abruptly, squinting at the dark-eyed man. “I’m afraid I can’t tell you that.”

“No?” Teras seemed unperturbed, scanning the document slowly and carefully. “It’s been two years.”

“I don’t see as that matters, really,” the registrar retorted, surprising himself with the vehemence in his tone. “Paragon Wiedii was a very private woman, and I’m not convinced you do know her after all.”

The odd man continued reading, though a half-smile crossed his face as he unrolled the scroll to its end. “Truly, I don’t, but I am looking for her.”

“Well you’ll get nothing from me,” Regulen asserted. “And no one else will help you either, not after I tell them to be on the lookout for you.”

There was something predatory in the smile the stranger gave Regulen, something that chilled the blood. “Oh…” he replied, turning the scroll towards the registrar and revealing his name scrawled along the signature line, “I wouldn’t be so certain of that.”

Inspecting the notification that the messenger had dropped off that morning, Teras was still not certain this was the right decision.

Oh, it had certainly made an impression on Regulen. The registrar had been apoplectic, and had looked as though he had swallowed his own tongue. For a moment the Basilli Phas allowed himself to recollect that image, and his own lips twitched into a half-smile as he strolled the busy streets on his way to the Championships’ complex.

The memory brought some levity to the fact he was engaged in an extremely risky proposition with, at best, a minimal prospect of return. The mercenary peered at the scroll again. Forge... Not an Arena he had heard anything about during his reconnaissance of Bren and its local environs. Well, if it was new, that certainly meant none of the other entrants would know anything about it either. So at least his ignorance was shared by those he was being set against.

Which might have been reassuring, Teras thought, as he began the sloping ascent in the direction to which the crier had indicated the Forge. But it did nothing at all to allay his disquiet about taking this risk. There was a certain logic behind the Basilli’s entrance into the competition. If he won, he could use the much vaunted Boon to put an end to this ridiculous chase. Or perhaps, more beguilingly, to put an end to his hastily made and regrettable contract with Lord Telan.

That was the rub, of course. He had to win. Merely surviving had its own benefits, one of which, naturally, was continued existence. The other was a powerful shared experience with his prey. Wiedii had undergone this trial, and if it was half so transformative as the bards trumpeted, then she had left it a changed woman. The Iron Mantis was a firm believer in the efficacy of putting himself in the shoes of his targets. It helped him to think like they did, or at least approximate their mindset more accurately.

He had once spent two months picking pockets and shaking down thugs in Yarosburg while on a contract to break up a ring of cutpurses and petty thieves. Such side jobs had been necessary to make ends meet on his drawn-out hunt for the Enkeli. He had long ago burned through the purse his Kotka benefactor had provided him to fund the search, and his word would not permit him to simply limp home and declare failure.

So even should he lose, no small possibility given the far-famed caliber of the entrants the tournament attracted, if he lived he would have a better idea of how and what Wiedii had been thinking as she left Bren. It was a slender hope, but the Basilli Phas was willing to take it. The other other option was to start spiralling out from Bren and hope he stumbled across someone who remembered seeing the Kissa leaving the area almost two years ago.

Such thoughts occupied the Iron Mantis as he moved towards the gates designated for the competitors, flashing his scroll to an official who pointed him towards one of the gates and down a sloping stone passage. Intricate carvings in some script whose meaning was lost on Teras scrolled their way down the hall, glowing with faint ember-orange luminescence. The sigils played out slowly, becoming less frequent towards the end of the hall and creating a sort of semi-twilight space at its terminus, where Teras found a gate of iron.

It was not a particularly grand piece of artifice, for all that it effectively sealed the tunnel, and the bounty hunter elected not to touch the metal portal blocking what was presumably his entrance into the Arena proper. This was the Forge after all, and handling metal that has sat in a furnace for any length of time was generally unwise. Instead, the Iron Mantis took a moment to stretch and check his gear, sliding his arms into the harnesses for his shields and drawing his swords. The blades each received a slow, testing swing before they were turned and gripped in the reverse hold, wider edge along the length of his forearm with their slightly curved tips pointed at his elbows, that had earned him his moniker in the first place.

“Last chance to back out, idiot.”

The gate yawned open, admitting a wall of hot air and a profusion of dense black smoke. Within was a large cavern, its walls of dark stone cracked and veined. Pillars stood at regular intervals, also marbled with what must be magma, as bizarre as that was to contemplate. And in the center was a column that seemed to be made of magma itself, flowing up until it was lost in the smoky recesses of the ceiling above. Teras took in the strange place for a moment and then shrugged. “To the Swarm with it. Came this far.”

So he stepped into the Arena and immediately stuttered to a halt.

They were gone. Benu’s grace, they were gone! The Basilli Phas looked up, dark-eyed gaze darting swiftly around the Arena, floor to ceiling, wall to wall. It must have been the Arena, some manner of magical seal. Teras could feel faint prickles moving along his skin, distinct awarenesses of the nearby competitors, but nothing more. No crowds, no mobs, no endless horde like there had been outside. He almost laughed in relief. Living with the constant presence of those around him tingling over his skin day in and day out was numbing, like listening to a constant, non-stop waterfall. But here, it was silent. There was nothing but the feel of the other hopefuls, such a minor input to what he usually experienced.

Grinning, the Iron Mantis glanced around as a deep voice thundered through the Arena, welcoming them to the Forge. “Fight and live, if it’s all the same to you, Lyth,” he muttered to himself, about as close to a prayer to the Lady of War as the Basilli ever got. Which was all Teras had time for before a singularly loud individual in some manner of cobbled together armor entered and started blaring what could only charitably be termed music and shouting. Whatever the beast was, it certainly had a set of lungs on it.

The cacophony almost drowned out the bit of wit lobbed his way by what appeared to be a little girl. In truth, Teras was well used to looking down at his opponents, though this one required rather more visual redirection than usual. Still, if the brat wanted to pick a fight, he was hardly like to deny her. “Verbal thrust, nice opening.”

The Iron Mantis settled into a defensive posture, shield bearing secondaries held at angles across his hips and torso, sword-wielding primaries spread high and to either side. “Allow me to riposte: If you fight as well as you taunt, this should be a short duel.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
7/26/2017 16:57:22   
deathlord45

The city of Bren was an amazing sight for someone who had been traveling for too long on his own. Hundreds of people flowed around him as he made his way towards the complex that overlooked the city. It was gigantic; bigger than thing he had seen before or during his journey to freedom.

As he finally reached the arena having taken in as much of the lower city as he could, he finally understood just how impressive the complex is. Hearing the heralds call out for each arena and its participants, Edward wondered what kind of place Forge was. Having asked for the directions to his arena from one of the heralds, Edward slowly made his way to it. A battle to the death against five others whom he had no knowledge about did not fill him with confidence. His only companions on his solitary march to what may be his death were the echoes of his steps with the stone halls.

Standing before the metal gates surrounded by inky black stone, Edward did a final weapons check. He strung his bow and kept it and an arrow in hand; walking into the unknown as well as trying to fight it up close was not an idea he was fond of. The smoke and heat that spewed forth from the arena as the gate swung open reminded him of the tales of dragons from back home.

The interior was not what he was expecting in the slightest. He had expected a few controlled but dim flames in simple hearths but was instead greeted by jagged stone walls and lava. That worried him the most, as such control over the life blood of the world was rarer than the ability to create creatures like himself and many magnitudes more dangerous.

To his right were most of the other competitors, mainly human in shape though that could easily be a disguise to hide their true natures. To his left stood a goblin-like being riding some strange mechanical contraption. He heard one of the fighters to his right yell out to who he could only assume was the being directly to his right. Anything said after that would have been partially lost due to the cacophony of noise that the goblin-like creature suddenly started to produce.

’Ugh. Untested, unrefined youth to my right and a noisy master and machine to my left. Could this day get any more annoying?’ Edward thought. ’Who should I deal with first? The machine would be the greater issue but I have no idea what it is capable of other than what I assume is that noise. The voice however sounds decidedly average. Also, that pillar of lava is a bit bright, and I can use that to my advantage. I guess that’s the way is going to be.

Edward rushed forward at a sprint, crossing the distance from his gate to the space between the two minor pillars, making a dive and roll once he was close enough to pass both in the leap. Rolling to his feet, he turned his back to the pillar of lava. Quickly, he studied the area behind him and the other battlers near his starting location, searching for anything else to use to his advantage.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 7
7/28/2017 17:49:02   
TormentedDragon

He peered over the edge of the front armor, grimacing at the red-tinged tableau. These folks were either deaf or rude, ignoring an invitation like that and just focusing on each other. Bug-face and some half-size humie were facing each other, probably chattering some weakness and such, what with stances and such. Other movement, too, but none toward him. He snorted. Gits.

The beat had shifted. This track was ending. He reached for the pad and tapped at a red-splashed button, cutting, for a brief, merciful moment, the endless cacophony of music. Three more clicks on three more buttons, and the respite ended, a new track with a faster beat taking over. “Well, seein’ as no one’s wont to come to me, I’ll come t’ you, aye?” he muttered, flooring the pedals and wrenching levers inward.

The suit lurched forward, one step, two steps, and then a full bore run, clanging and clomping toward the general direction of bug-man, red-hair, and paleface. A jerk on one lever brought Pukkroy up, spike pointed for the bug-man, and Ee-nuk punched the black button, white circle flashing briefly as Pukkroy’s vents boomed and thrust the air. The lever swung right, and the spike-point followed. Two steps later and Pukkroy boomed again, the vortex blast pulling wisps of smoke into its roiling path.

His claw flicked to ‘Taunt,’ and he thrust a different lever forward, leaning the suit into the run. “Incoming Gobbo, boyeeee!” he fairly crowed into the Taunter, and broke into a cackling laugh.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
7/28/2017 23:07:30   
Dragonknight315

Just as Alastasia was regaining her composure, the obnoxious ensemble echoed across the arena. She turned to check the source, cursing under her breath. Makers, what the?
In all the words running through her mind, music was not one of them. It was hard enough to concentrate with the heat, but this was too much. She was easy prey in her current state. But as she was grasping for some shred of a plan, fate gave way to a moment of clarity above the chaos.

“Hey, blue-man!—“

“. . . This should be a short duel–“

In this cruel arena, she was a like a hare between two wolves. The bug and the girl barked at each other, trading their words before they would trade blows. As they brandished their fangs, they paid little attention to her. If one wolf lunged at Alastasia, the other would strike them down, letting her escape. Better, they might ignore her all together. By sheer luck, she thought she just might make it. Seizing her moment, she dashed towards the central pillar. Just as Alastasia steps off, a burst of wind rushes through though the arena from whatever was making the commotion. She passes the two pillars in front of her, circling around the left one and planting her back against it. Two years of idling hunt finally paid off, Lunara. Who would have guessed? Just as she was beginning to appreciate her safety, her eyes focus on the figure before her. A young man not too far away. Hiding between two pillars, he left his back exposed.

Another opportunity. The slime oozes from her gauntlets, twisting and turning in preparation.
This time, she would be the predator.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 9
7/29/2017 2:03:58   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

"It's time. Now go!" Anki willed themself to move, not wishing to be caught standing still. This was an environment in which the idle did not survive long. There wasn't enough time to wait for something to land in the three trapped pillars that were now connected by the fine wire.

"That contraption is far too large, wire likely wouldn't hold up against that kind of strength. I'd rather not leave myself attached to it either so long as we're close to that flaming pillar. I should probab-"

The moment caught Anki and time itself felt as if it had begun to slow. Their focus narrowed on the metal contraption before them as it turned, stepped away, then began to run. The fact that it was appeared to be running at something and not away didn't register at all to Anki. Instinct took over, whispering, then demanding like a heartbeat.

"Take chase, overcome, subdue."

Anki quickly severed the their wire spool from the length attached to the pillars, ducked, and sprinted towards the contraption, doing their best to keep a low profile while they ran.

"Catch. Subdue. Primary concern: size. Threat level: elevated. Conclusion, subdue through hazard."

As Anki ran, the arena itself shifted into narrow corridors, metal doors leading off into cells on either side. Reflexively, Anki launched their arms forwards as the two spools of thicker wire surged to life before them. The wire launched several feet ahead and anchored itself into the floor. A flick of the wrist and the wire pulled taught and began to spool in, pulling Anki forwards and launching them into a full leap. Hoping that they had been able to gain enough on Ee-nuk, Anki reached into a pouch along their belt and pulled out a large hand-full of ball bearings. Anki landed from their leap and pulsed a small charge into the bearings, temporarily magnetizing them lightly. They reached out, taking aim as carefully and as quickly as they could and launched them towards the path of the charging Ee-nuk, hoping that the contraption was as unbalanced as it seemed unrefined.

"Now, to get its attention."

Anki pulled both thicker wires out of the ground and placed a hand on the base of either one. They focused and their hands crackled as bolts of energy arced into the wire under them. The wires came to life and began to writhe and thrash around, both of them finding the ground like a whip.

"CRACK"

Energy sparked all around as each strike on the ground clapped like thunder. Blue bolts of energy arced from the writhing wire to the floor. Anki stood there, waiting for the contraption and its pilot to hopefully notice and turn around. They tilted their head and held out a hand as if to accept a handshake, a smug grin slowly crawling across their face.

DF  Post #: 10
7/29/2017 4:13:09   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

His first indication that something was wrong was the silence. The cacophonous torrent pouring from the the loud creature (He’d called himself Ee-nuk. Quite the moniker.) and his strange armor ceased. For a moment, Teras could almost hear himself think. That blessing could not last, however, and only a few moments later the thudding clangor resumed. The cretin thought himself slighted by the fact no one had taken him up on his invitation.

That seemed to suggest a certain impatience on Ee-nuk’s part. For his own, the Iron Mantis was merely addressing himself to the opponent who had insulted him, but if the imp wished to impinge that was certainly his right. It wasn’t as if Teras was the only one with an opening on his dance card.

The raucous sound of steel on stone was Teras’ second sign. The racket undercut what Ee-nuk must consider to be appropriate battle music, and the obviously deaf creature angled his oversized armor-suit into an clamorous forward charge.

One limb rose, armed with a long metal spike, and Teras felt the third warning as a spreading tingle across his chest and hips. Some manner of launcher. The Basilli Phas shifted his weight, angling his body towards his oncoming foe and lifting his shields; the edges of the elongated teardrops came together to cover the mercenary’s torso. The metallic scrape of their meeting was lost beneath Ee-nuk’s overwhelming clatter. There was a basso concussion, like thunder in a confined space, and a moment later a hammer-blow struck, rocking Teras back half a step.

The Iron Mantis skip-stepped backwards to regain his balance and draw himself a bit further from the path of the cretin’s charge. That strange launcher had already reoriented itself, uttering a second coughing blast in the direction of Teras’ would-be antagonist. But it was no longer tracking the Basilli Phas, and that was all he needed for the moment.

Cutting to his left, the bounty hunter darted away at an angle parallel to the course Ee-nuk was on. The ironclad mongrel thundered past and the Iron Mantis set his feet, sliding slightly on the stone floor as he redirected his momentum to hook around behind the behemoth’s charge. He had no interest in following after the heavy charge of his competition though. Something snapped into the stone behind him, but Teras was dashing north and east, rushing the slender woman who had called out to him.

She appeared to have taken the armored warmachine’s blast less well than the Basilli Phas. The attack must have struck her in the side, or else she had misjudged her attempt to sidestep the assault. Either way, the small woman was just regaining her feet when she saw Teras charging in. But instead of dodging away she threw herself into a forward roll to meet him.

As surprised as the mercenary was by the unorthodox maneuver, he was more surprised by the fact his foe came up with claws. Her digits were tipped with red-orange crystals that flashed out in a disemboweling swipe. But the Iron Mantis had been in this business too long to be undone by one trick. Points for style at least. His right secondary flicked up, battering the slashing claws up and away from his torso. Teras pivoted and punched, driving the knuckle-duster hilt of the blade in his left primary into the woman’s extended left arm.

Something gave in her upper arm with a greenstick snap that vibrated back up the hilt to the Basilli’s own hand. A cry equal parts pain and rage tore itself from the woman; she spun with the blow, her other hand flashing in a forehand slash at eye-level.

Teras spun as well, a countervailing turn with a twist of the wrist on his right primary that aimed his blade to point at the floor of the Arena. He had no idea how strong the woman’s crystal claws were, but the fact she was willing to rush into close combat with them suggested she would have little trouble absorbing a blade’s impact. So the Iron Mantis did not aim to block the strike. Rather, he utilized his longer reach to target what the crystal did not protect.

Steel sheared through fabric, then flesh, casting a crimson arc through the sizzling air that was followed by woman’s right arm just below the elbow. The mercenary’s face was impassive as his foe’s shriek rose to an agonized keen. He continued his spin, left primary hooking back and up in an eviscerating strike. Teras came to a halt, back-to-front with the woman, his left-hand blade buried in her guts. The Basilli Phas twisted the blade, sliding it from the dead woman as his right shield arm delivered a crushing and redundant elbow into her face and sent her to the ground.

“I told you it would be short.” The Iron Mantis spared a single glance over his shoulder for his victim, remembering another body as he flicked blood and viscera from his blade. Eugen could not have been much older than this girl. Teras grimaced and said the same thing to her corpse that he had said to the boy’s body at the end of that farce in Yarosburg. “It was nothing personal, kid.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
7/29/2017 23:21:15   
deathlord45

He heard, saw, and felt the mechanical behemoth that had previously been off to his left storm past where he crouched by the pillars.

Well, definitely a goblin piloting that monstrosity. A bit surprised that one would be capable of such a feat.

Edward took a quick peek from his spot to watch the goblin-piloted machine barrel past the man with four arms. He shrugged as he stepped back into the inner ring and saw someone land a ways off and make use of what appeared to be some form of wire. The wires suddenly came to life, writhing on the ground, and soon the lander was wreathed in arcs of electricity.

The light of the magma pillar reflected off of something closer to him. The source of this reflection was a heavily armored humanoid relaxing near one of the other pillars. They were fully armored save for the head, at which Edward chuckled a bit

If you’re going for a look or defensive style commit fully to it or don’t do it at all.

As best as he could tell they were looking in his direction, if not directly at him. Edward took a deep breath as he notched an arrow. He held the breath as he drew back, aimed around where he thought would land him a simple and clean headshot, and exhaled after the arrow was loose and sailing towards his target.

“Always stay in motion, being stationary is death.” He spoke as much to himself as to the opponent would couldn’t hear him. He slowly started to edge a bit closer to the central pillar, keeping a safe distance away from it.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 12
7/31/2017 22:45:30   
Dragonknight315

Alastasia sighed as she observed her prey. His back turned to the Forge, she could see his hands move for his quiver. With no one else around, it was painfully obvious what he had planned.

Turn, shoot, run. . . Amateur. Does he think he is being sly? A harlequin has more subtly.

By now, the slime had formed into a perfect sphere in each of her stretched out palms. She leaned forward, and when the man turned, she ducked, the arrow sailing above her head, and pushed off. As she dashed, she lobbed the spheres towards his shoulders and legs. Suffocate. Blind. Bind his legs, and burrow into the nearest orifice you can find.[/I] With how the close the two were, dodging was unlikely to Anastasia. If she could get one clean strike, it could be over. As she closed in, she reached for her blade.

This was no game. This was life and death, the chance to see her mother again, and she would spare no one.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 13
8/1/2017 1:52:48   
TormentedDragon

Success! Qualified success. Both blasts had made contact, but the bug-man was moving again, and still ignoring him. Targeted snub, by now. Bug-man didn’t want to tangle, even after a courteous opening. Ee-nuk grimaced, claws flicking at switches as his eyes tracked the skittering giant. A shift of a lever and Bearpuncher swung into position, cocked for action; his claws shifted pedals, and the suit began to swerve, tracking to try and follow the subject of his ire.

His ears twitched - those pings didn’t fit the rhythm. A moment later, a klaxon sounded out a balance warning as Stomper came down on something wrong and slid forward where it shouldn’t have, the whole suit tipping dangerously forward. A slap of a switch and the rear vents slid open; the jerking of a pedal brought Stop That forward, spiked foot scraping on hard black stone. Growling, Ee-nuk heaved back on a center lever with one wiry arm, and the cockpit shifted backward; his clawed feet tilted the pedals, and the Meksuit fell to its knees with a resounding crash, momentum carrying it forward in a screeching slide.

His other arm grabbed at a little knob painted bright green and jerked to the left, sliding it along its arcing track until it came to a hard stop. Instantly the cockpit began to swivel, his surroundings spinning around him as the whole of the Meksuit’s torso turned on its axis. A flick of another switch next to the vent toggle and the vents spewed forth thrust, the Meksuit’s slide finally slowing to a noisy stop.

The music was still going. That was a plus.

Ee-nuk peered out at the new tableau, taking a moment, just a moment, to catch his breath. Blue sparks caught his eye and he grimaced, squinting - another paleface humie, this one with hair a matching hue, stood there with hand outstretched, grinnin’ all smug-like. Blue arcing bolts ran along some invisible line and down to the stone, snapping and sparking in something almost like rhythm. Grin like that, this had to be the one that’d tripped him. Finally. Sodding common courtesy.

His feet worked the pedals and Stop That scraped forward, knee rising from the stone floor. A slight shift of the right lever brought Pukkroy’s spike to bear. He slapped the black button, sending another blast through the air at his newly found opponent. A friendly rejoinder to the humie’s greeting, to get them all off on the right foot.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
8/2/2017 0:18:43   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

The kid had been unlucky. Stupid and unlucky. Bad combination.. Desperate too, no doubt. Whoever she had been, the girl had had no business being here, in spite of all her ferocity. There was irony in the fact that Teras himself was desperate in this gambit, but the world was full of desperate people, and the bounty hunter had made a living tracking them down. That was why he had come to Yarosburg in the first place: trailing after another runner.

But his prey had eluded him. Again. Wiedii, he learned over the course of his first month in the port city, had booked passage on a trader hopping its way up the coast. Thank Benu for underpaid clerks, accurate record-keeping, and human greed. He had been over a year behind the Kissa at that point, and it had certainly seemed like a boon from the gods when his contact at the shipping company had finally turned up the old ledger entry notating the unusual addition of a paying passenger to the normal trading manifest.

His elation had been somewhat offset by the fact that his coin purse had been getting awfully thin while he had searched, and the “finders’ fee” he had paid out to the rat had all but impoverished him. In need of fiscal reinforcement, the Basilli had found his way into the city’s main guard barracks.

There was always work to be found in port cities. For most, that would mean a great deal of lifting and carrying: part-time employment loading and emptying the bevy of carracks, cogs, and trade galleys that called at the city piers.

But the Iron Mantis was not a day laborer. The Basilli’s size and foreign appearance had given more than one person pause. He was a natural enforcer, and at the end of things, ports meant traffic, and traffic meant criminals. Inevitably, there would be a bounty on some footpad or cutpurse waiting at the guard headquarters. Refilling his purse would mean a delay, but he would have to wait for a captain sailing along the same route Wiedii’s ship had taken anyway, though hopefully he could find a ship making fewer stops.

Thus he had found himself in the office of the guard captain charged with overseeing such affairs. Captain Vadim was a small, spare man, who seemed perfectly at home in his small, spare office. The human had listened to Teras, hands folded on the desk before him while his faded blue eyes scrutinized the Basilli Phas. At length, the man nodded. “There is something, though it may take some time.”

The mercenary shrugged in reply. “I need to find a ship anyways.”

“Suit yourself.” He opened a drawer and drew out a scroll, opening and setting it on the desk. Vadim continued without referencing the parchment, however. “There’s been an escalating rash of break-ins over the last four months. Warehouses, shops, several nobles’ houses.”

“Uh huh…” Teras folded his arms, both sets, over his chest and leaned back in his chair as he returned the guard captain’s gaze. “You understand that I stand out a bit in these parts.”

Vadim arched a brow beneath flyaway brown hair and almost cracked a smile. “Perhaps, but you are a bounty hunter. Finding people is what you do, no?”

The Iron Mantis had no witty reply to that, so he simply shrugged. “Fine, what have you got?”

“We’ve captured a few thugs and cat burglars over the last half-year or so. They’re all telling the same story.” His eyes flicked to the open scroll for a moment before continuing. “Normally, I’d say they’re a pack of superstitious fools, but there are too many consistencies. A while back a new player arrived in town, set up a ring of cutpurses.” Vadim shook his head and sighed. “They’ve been getting bigger and bolder since, and word on the street is that their leader has some sort of magic that allows him to get into even the most well fortified of locations. I didn’t believe it myself until I saw the… damage that was done breaking out the one member of the crew we caught.”

“Get anything useful before you lost him?”

The guard captain fixed the sellsword with a poisonous glare before replying. “Marek gave us a few names you may want to look out for.” Vadim pushed the scroll across the desk to Teras. “That’s the summary of everything we currently have. Mainly, I need someone with no tie to the guard for this.”

The Basilli nodded absently as he scanned the report. “So I’m unofficial, understood. I’ll need your help with something.”

“What, you have a plan already?”

Teras glanced up, grinning. “Sure. I’ll have to do some background work, but once I find one of the thieves on this list I’ll need to arrange a little scene with your men. We’ll set up a mark, let the target feel the jaws close around him, then I spring him before he’s caught red-handed. Classic ruse.”

Speaking of red-handed... The creature in the armored suit was making even more racket than previously; the result of an assault by a rather diminutive fellow. Teras’ dark eyes narrowed as metal screamed in protest at being ground against stone, and the heavy suit slid to a stop amid a blast of air. As interesting as the sudden burst was, it was eclipsed by the fact that the entire assemblage above the hips pivoted in place, leaving the noisy fellow within looking back in the direction from which he had come. Note to self: Do not underestimate Loudmouth’s mobility.

Thankfully, the cretin was occupied with his assailant, which left the Iron Mantis free to stick his nose in where it was not invited. Ironic, given the fact Loudmouth had done the same to him before. But the world ran on irony as much as desperation, the Basilli Phas had found, and he was not averse to contributing to it.

So he turned and dashed center-ward, angling slightly south. An arrow whickered out between the pillars circling the central monument, and Teras caught sight of the archer. But of more interest was the woman more-or-less between them.

Arms outstretched, the armored woman hurled two spherical… somethings at the archer. The bounty hunter’s gaze zeroed in on her neck. Plate armor provided good protection against sword and spear, and to some lesser extent mace and warhammer. Chainmail gave good supplemental protection, and allowed a greater degree of flexibility in the joints necessary to avoid incoming strikes. But every protection had to end somewhere.

As much as this maneuver might have been inspired by Loudmouth’s antics, Teras had no intention of announcing his attack with loud music or warcries. The Iron Mantis, like most sellswords, cared more for efficiency than flash. He simply charged, angling in from behind and slightly to the north of the woman. The Basilli’s right swordhand turned, sending the blade up at an angle, and it sliced down hard at the exposed skin of the woman’s neck, just above where her mail collar ended. One clean strike, through the neck and severing the spinal cord, and he would be one step closer.

Nothing personal, kid. The memory whispered from the past. It was too bad the kid had taken it so personally.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 15
8/2/2017 21:13:57   
deathlord45

Can’t say I didn’t see that dodge coming. They were looking right at me. Though the rush I wasn’t expecting. What kind of person rushes headlong at an opponent they know nothing about?

Keeping his bow in his left hand Edward drew his sword, this wasn’t his preferred style but it would do in a pinch. The two projectiles thrown at him would be a bit of a pain though not at all that hindering. Making a couple quick hops backward he got out of the path of the projectiles and continued his circling pattern to have the central pillar behind and to the left of him.

Settling into a defensive stance he watched his opponent’s movements.

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
8/2/2017 22:33:24   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

Anki took a step forward, eyes narrowing on their target. The air around them grew thick with the scent of ionized air. Blue sparks crackled down along the thick wire that writhed and thrashed about. With every step forward, Anki’s vision flickered. Each blink transitioned between the sight of the large metal mech before them, and a long narrow corridor. At the end of this corridor sat a cloaked man, currently recovering from a fall.

They extended their hand, focusing narrowly on the man that had turned to face them. The room shifted. Lights flickered. The narrow corridor warped to either side. The man before them held out a hand towards Anki.

Shock. Indescribable shock. Anki blinked. The corridor faded, the black stone walls returned. They were now thrust backwards, pushed right off of their feet. Reflexively, the two wires that were previously thrashing whipped behind Anki and anchored into the floor just behind. They pushed and braced up against Anki’s shoulders, pushing them back up to their feet, bracing them against the remainder of the blast.

A cough, a heave, a shudder. A warm taste of iron dripped down Anki’s senses as the dark red liquid slowly crept from the corner of their mouth and from their nose.

“Focus, you idiot, focus. Cushion when you brace, a bit of give won’t kill you.”

Anki brushed their sleeve against their face, smearing the blood from their face.

“That spike’s something to watch for. That metal contraption is incredibly mobile too. That mobility makes striking range a risk. Whatever that blast was is something I’d rather avoid, too. To hesitate is death though, so I guess there’s no other way about this.”

Anki narrowed their focus onto Ee-nuk, watching every movement carefully, then dropping forward and pushing off into a sprint. They ducked low, keeping the thicker wires close to their arms, prepared to parry an incoming projectile should that be necessary. As they drew close, they searched for the tinge along the back of their spine from the metal of the contraption pinging at their senses. The second they were close enough, nearly in range of the spike, the sensation struck.

Anki flicked their right arm up and to the side, reaching out with their magneses and hoping to grasp the contraption’s left arm and fling it out in the same motion. Without looking up to see if their motion was a success, Anki shifted their weight onto their back heel and dropped into a slide, hoping to stop and stand up just in front of Ee-nuk.

DF  Post #: 17
8/3/2017 21:28:55   
Dragonknight315

As Alastasia raced forward, Edward darted back, the spheres sailing through the air until they collided with the ground, splattering into a thin puddle.

A skillful dodge, she thought. Perhaps she had underestimated the man, but that wouldn’t matter for long. In a direct confrontation, he stood little chance, her armor supreme. Painstakingly forged by Eris to be lightweight yet durable, it was a perfect match. If anyone knew her fighting style, it would be her teacher, after all. It hummed softly with the elements, enchanted to soften opposing magic. Chlona had poured every ounce of her being into it. . .

Chlona. . . Her heart sank at her very name. Her black hair, her blue weeping eyes begging ‘please, don’t–’

“I need to know. . . I have to know. Please, don’t cry.” Her fingers traced her cheeks, and she leaned in with a kiss.

“I will be back, I promise.”

She pushed those dark thoughts away and focused on her competitor. He was circling around, moving away from her and towards the nearby pillar. Terribly inefficient. By skirting around, he’ll cover less distance in more time. Running in a straight line like a coward would suit you better– All she had to do was close in the distance, and Edward would have nowhere to run. If every fight went like this, Chlona wouldn’t have to wait long. She shifted her weight to the left, ready to lunge and cut Edward off.

*SHUUNK*

Without warning, the blade descended, digging past the chainmail and into her right collarbone until it cracked into the edge of her breastplate. A moment sooner, and it would have sliced through her neck. Alastasia’s eyes narrowed as the pain burned through her mind, her scream echoing across the Forge. She dived to the ground, blood splattering as the blade sawed through from its exit, her chest hitting with a loud thud, arms stretched forward.

The pain. Immediately, her instincts took control, her body screaming for survival. She reached for the wound, her shoulder sobbing with red tears. Slime warped from the surrounding skin, moving to ease the pain and clot the wound as fast as possible. She lifted her right foot and pressed down, tossing her body and rolling over her right shoulder.

She glanced up at her assailant and gritted her teeth. Damn bug‑ If he was here, then the girl. . . Her eyes zoned in on his weapons, one blade coated with her blood. All of their effort, and he dashed it with a single swing. No human could have survived that strike. But she was no human, and neither was her opponent.

She returned her gaze to the bug and stared him down. “Nice st-strike.” She her muscles tightened in preparation for something desperate.

“But you can do better. . . R-right?”
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 18
8/4/2017 0:01:14   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Teras’ blade angled down at his foe’s neck, and she shifted her weight in preparation for what would have been a lunge. The bounty hunter did his best to adjust his weapon in response, but it was not quite enough. Though her movement fouled the strike, steel sheared into flesh and grated over metal, leaving behind an appreciable wound. Should limit range of motion on that side. No plan survived contact with the enemy, but a good plan was adaptable, and he could certainly work with this...

The mercenary left Vadim’s office with an advance on his fee, and questions about whether he should have asked for more. The captain had hardly haggled. Yarosburg’s authorities must have been quite wroth with the Red Hand and his ring, though that hardly mattered to the Iron Mantis. Vadim had met his price, and the Basilli had no intention of delivering less than was paid for. He was a professional.

That did not make the next two months any less tedious on an objective level. The bounty hunter had a lot of work on his hands. He spent time on the docks searching for a ship and captain, time walking the streets engaging in purse cutting and petty thievery, and time interrogating the various footpads and thugs hauled into a carefully concealed warehouse by Vadim’s underlings.

It had taken some careful maneuvering to keep those three threads well separated, but this was not Teras’ first job; he managed it, though his sleeping schedule suffered as a result. Still, it was all worth it when one of the parade of miscreants finally coughed up a name and description.

Eugen, one of the Red Hand’s crew, and more importantly, a young one. Stage one, complete.

The ruse was meticulously planned. With Vadim’s assistance Teras had selected one of the open air markets not too far from the docks, and arranged for one of the city’s lesser nobles to turn up there with a fat purse. After several dreadfully boring hours of careful watching and waiting while word got around, the boy, and he really was too young to be called anything else, turned up; Eugen spent several minutes watching the target haggle with a fishmonger, perhaps working up his courage, and then swiped the noble’s purse.

In a trice the hue and cry brought guards rushing from their hiding places. Eugen momentarily froze in panic, and then darted between two stands. The boy might have gotten away had it not been for the fact he hooked around a nearby fruit vendor’s cart and had the singular misfortune to catch a foot on a box of apples. Fruit flew, and the resultant tumble sent the would-be thief sprawling into the arms of a waiting guard.

At which point Teras stepped in. The mercenary collided with the guard and the cutpurse, bowling over the former and sending the latter reeling back into the vendor’s cart. Delivering a swift, decisive kick to the guard’s side, the Basilli reached out with both right hands, yanked Eugen upright, and shoved him in the direction of the docks. “Leg it!”

Fitting deeds to words, the Iron Mantis ran, hauling a stunned Eugen after him as he plunged into the warren of roads and back alleys which sprawled out in a confusing welter between the markets and the docks. The sound of pursuit faded behind them as the guards spread out among the myriad byways and avenues, slowly “giving up” the chase and returning to Vadim after their cursory pursuit.

Panting and glancing around, Teras slowed to a halt, allowing a winded Eugen to catch up. Stage two. “You alright, kid?”

Huffing and puffing himself, Eugen stared wide-eyed at the Basilli Phas. “T-thanks… If you hadn’t b-been there…”

“Yeah,” the bounty hunter returned, shrugging, “but I was. Looked like you needed a hand. I’ve bitten off more than I could chew a time or two.”

“Yeah…” The boy eyed Teras doubtfully. “You don’t look like much of a thief though.”

“I dabble. I’m more for… asset protection.” He held out his right primary hand. “Teras Rukoli.”

Eugen blinked several times as he digested this, and then seemed to get what Teras was saying, or else elected to act as though he did. The human traded grips with the Basilli, and wisely chose not to make a contest of it. “Eugen.”

“Tell you what,” the Basilli said, when it became clear the boy had no intention of providing his last name, “let me buy you a drink. There are some decent taverns down by the docks, and it would be best if we stay off the streets for a while.” Eugen dithered for a moment, but Teras dropped his left primary arm around the boy’s shoulders and steered him down a nearby alley. “Trust me, kid. You don’t want to be on the streets right now.” Luckily, it was a short walk.

The Battered Tankard was not a reputable establishment. Teras had stumbled across it a few days into his search for a ship that could bear him in pursuit of Wiedii. It was dark, patronized mainly by sailors more interested in drinking than talking, and had a faint odor of fish gone slightly off that was by no means endearing. Still, the guards made only infrequent visits, and that suited the Basilli Phas’ purpose just fine now.

Guiding Eugen to a seat at a table in a darkened corner, Teras obtained a pair of eponymously worn pints and set one in front of the boy. “Drink, it’ll take the edge off.” The bounty hunter favored the hesitant kid with a smile as he sipped from his own drink. “Look, do what you want, but you’re wound up tighter than a Colony soldier on the day of her first review. I’ve been in this business a long time. Guards can smell fear, or at least nervousness. Have a drink, take a breath, and relax.”

“Her?” Eugen sputtered, indignant. “What do you mean, her?”

Teras shook his head, tone placating. “Come on, Eugen, look at me. Do I look like I’m from around these parts?” He made an oblique motion with his secondary arms to demonstrate his point. “Back home, in the Colonies, most of the population is female. Believe me, being compared to a woman there, particularly a soldier, is not an insult.”

Perhaps that soothed the boy’s pride, because he took a cautious drink and relaxed a little. The rest of the afternoon and all of the evening was spent at the table, Teras bringing pint after pint from the bar and setting them before Eugen. Keeping up a flow of alcohol and seemingly innocuous conversation, the bounty hunter carefully prised details from the boy: He knew Marek. They had been working together. Eugen himself had come up with the “Red Hand” moniker for the ring’s leader, a reference to the signature gloves the man never removed. The young thief certainly seemed to admire the group’s leader.

By the end of the night the boy was drunk as a lord, and wobbly with it. He obviously had next to no experience with strong drink. “Alright, it should be safe to head out now.” Teras gave the cutpurse a long, considering look. “Perhaps it would be best if I lent you a shoulder on your way.”

Eugen blinked owlishly at the Basilli, and it took several moments for the statement to make it through the haze in his skull. He seemed dubious about the offer, so the Iron Mantis simply lifted him from his seat, supporting the boy with an arm around his shoulders. “You just tell me which way to go, and I’ll see you safely home. You’ve had a bit much.”

With much stumbling and no small amount of back-tracking Eugen managed to direct Teras to a surprisingly snug abode tucked away in a residential district of the city. No wonder Vadim and his minions were having such a hard time finding the Red Hand’s base. They were looking in entirely the wrong places, scouring old abandoned warehouses and derelict shacks while the thieves lived in relative luxury. There was a guard post only two streets away, by the Swarm!

Teras’ momentum pulled him through the attack, and he blunted his speed with a flourishing half-turn that squared him up with his opponent. The woman had gone down hard, armor clashing against stone as she slapped a hand over the bleeding gash near where neck and shoulder met.

She rolled away before the Iron Mantis could follow up, glaring up at him while the skin around her wound seemed to ripple grotesquely. Hardly looks pleasant. Still, the mercenary couldn’t help but grin at her attempt at bravado. Clotter was putting on a brave face, but that was no paper cut. She was probably lucky she was still conscious. A little deeper and Teras might have sliced open the major vein running from shoulder to arm. The lady had spunk at least.

Nothing like a little audacity to set the tone. The sellsword wasted no more time; he simply quick-stepped forward and brought his left-hand blade down in a hard, vicious cut aimed at Clotter’s temple. “We’ll see what we can do.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
8/5/2017 0:49:43   
TormentedDragon

Footplate met stone and Ee-nuk’s feet pulled and twisted at the pedals, dragging Stomper forward while Stop That began to straighten. The suit wobbled only slightly as it rose, Ee-nuk’s hands pulling levers to and fro to keep it upright. He kept his gaze on the paleface humie, eyes narrowing at the result of the blast; blue bolts whipped behind it and the blowback stopped, so summat physical to those. The red of blood stood out on skin like that, visible even at range and through goggles, and Ee-nuk’s expansive brow furrowed deeply. Some kind of weakness? Pukkroy’s shouter shouldn’t hurt that much, but if it did this one’d be in for a bad time.

Stomper’s foot came to a scraping halt on the stone as the humie started its charge. Ee-nuk scrambled to respond, shifting pedals to get the suit’s legs turned around and sliding the green knob a touch to the left. Forward step, back step, swivel to footplate limit, keep the cockpit facing the foe. His claw reached for a lever and it jerked away, the spike wrenching off to the side in tandem with the humie’s arm. Ee-nuk’s nose twitched, mustached rustling. Magic, then.

With a snarl, he grabbed at a different lever, right arm shoving it forward as his left grasped the torso tracker and slid it farther left. Bearpuncher swung out, spiked fist sailing for the humie’s face in tandem with the torso’s turn, and fortuitously on beat with a screech in the music.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
8/6/2017 17:45:00   
deathlord45

Well this is an interesting development. Wonder why four arms decided to intervene and not just wait it out to deal with the victor. It’s how I would have played it. Not gonna complain about the reprieve. Though attack look like it should have done a lot more damage.

Edward quickly swapped his sword to his left hand, to more comfortably place the bow inside the quiver. After swapping his sword back to his right he takes a quick couple steps to his left and forward lightly dragging the blade’s tip on the stone floor before settling into a defense posture while watching the other two.

Let’s see which one gives an opening first.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
8/6/2017 21:48:28   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

The floor shrieked with the sound of Anki’s metal gauntlets scraping against the stone floor. The friction burned against their hands and caught against their boots, forcing Anki to fight to keep their ankle from turning.

They kept their focus on the large metal contraption. Trying to memorize every movement, learn every angle, find any blindspot. It’s feet had found purchase upon the floor again, the torso seemed to rotate independently from them.

As their slide came to an end, barely more than a couple feet from the contraption, Anki dug their heel into the ground, bending their knee and sliding up onto their foot in hopes to be able to return to standing position. Everything was going well, the slide had ended precisely where it needed to, though something felt wrong.

Mechanical whirrs caught Anki’s ear as the torso of the contraption continued to spin with something large, presumably the other arm, came rocketing uncomfortably close. This thing was in a perfect path to strike in center of mass. Continuing the current path of standing up was obviously no longer an option.

Anki kicked their leg out, turning their heel as their purchase slid out from under them. They landed prone on their back, seeing a large, mechanical fist fly past just above them, though not by a comfortable enough margin. Anki narrowed their focus on the back of the arm passing before them, moving with the torso. A thought jumped to Anki’s mind.

Anki propped their right arm behind them, propping themself up into a half sitting position, bringing their legs in so as to prepare to stand. They flung their left arm out, the wire from their left side flying up towards the contraptions right arm, attempting to find purchase and wrap tightly around the shoulder joint.

“With any luck, perhaps I can get up to its back and find a blind spot…”

With one last sliver of focus, Anki found the scattered ball bearings around them, pulling them closer and guiding them to gather around the feet of the contraption.

“I don’t need this thing being able to maneuver around me. It’s dangerous enough while standing still…”
DF  Post #: 22
8/6/2017 23:18:32   
Dragonknight315

As Teras observed, Alastasia weighed her options. In her current state, she was in no position for a surprise attack. The bug was too swift and well defended. With his extra limbs, he could easily block and overpower her. No doubt he would be prepared for such a plan, ready to finish where he started. She wasn’t willing to risk losing all of her fluids in some half-baked plan. Skimmed over his arms, Alastasia desperately looked for any opening as the bug stepped forward and raised his blade. With how it was angled, he was surely aiming for her head.

“We’ll see what we can do–”

And then it hit her—

*SLICK*

Alastasia reached for her blade as Teras struck her temple, piercing through to the ground below. Pink ooze dripped from the wound, her whole body frozen in shock. She looked her assassin in the eye, mouth opening as to say something. But the only sound that came was the thud of her limp hand against the floor, her body void of all movement. To the observers, this was a clean kill. . .

At least, that’s what she hoped as she resisted every urge to grin. She had transformed the matter in her head into thick slime, allowing the blade to pierce through her without any pain. Of course, this illusion was costly to maintain, the ooze rippling out of her wounds, but she saw it as a far better alternative than to losing one of her limbs. Luckily, she didn’t have to breathe, and as long as she played dead, her theatrics should have been enough for her assailant to be satisfied.

With the blade still stuck in her head, she patiently waited on the ground. She knew her chance would come later.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 23
8/7/2017 23:47:13   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Clotter went for her sword, but the blade was in its sheath. At this distance, the handful of seconds it would take her to draw the weapon might as well have been hours. She would have been better off attempting to block the strike with her armored forearm. Instead she went for the sword, and lost her head.

Teras’ blade bit into the side of her cranium, but the strike felt wrong. After the initial resistance crumbled his blade slid easily through, emerging from the other side of his opponent’s skull in a fan of pinkish ooze. “What in the Swarm…”

The bounty hunter frowned at the corpse as it slumped back to the ground, still reaching for its sword impotently; more goo seeped sluggishly from the wound where the top of Clotter’s head had been. It was not breathing, if that meant anything. More importantly though, it was not moving. After a moment, the Iron Mantis concluded the thing was dead. It certainly looked human, whatever it was, but its viscous nature apparently did not afford it any better resistance to such a lethal blow.

Looking up, the Basilli Phas sidled left to find clearer footing and took a swift glance around the Forge. Two kills in as many minutes. Funny how history repeats itself...

After he had delivered his semi-conscious burden to the house’s doorstep, the Iron Mantis made a swift getaway. Two streets down, at the guard post, he penned a swift missive to Vadim sharing his progress. Teras also requested three days to observe the comings and goings at the abode to confirm that this was everything he expected it to be. The Basilli doubted Eugen had lied, particularly given his inebriation, but it never hurt to be certain.

After three days had passed, the Iron Mantis was very certain. The number of people coming and going from the house was suspicious, as were the hours they were keeping. Gathering his weapons, the Basilli Phas hired a passing street urchin to deliver a message to Vadim, and then simply walked up to the door. Unlocked… Teras was uncertain how he felt about that, but had no time for contemplation of what the fact might betoken.

The door opened into a sitting room that a short man with dull brown eyes was entering, even as the bounty hunter walked in. Surprised, the man sidled to his right, putting his back to the wall as he glared at the armed intruder, tone rising in outrage. “Who in blazes are you?”

Teras was equally surprised, but more annoyed at his poor luck, particularly when he recognized the man from Vadim’s description. “You must be Marek.”

“Marek? What’s going-” Eugen peeked in from some manner of dining room or meeting area at the other end of the hall. “T-Teras?”

The Iron Mantis sighed, setting his hands lightly on the hilts of his swords. “Gentlemen, and I use the term loosely, I must ask you to assemble whoever is currently in residence.”

Marek’s voice rose again, mocking. “I must ask you to turn your blue butt around and walk right back out of here.”

“Alois!” Eugen shouted, darting a glance behind himself before moving into the hall. “Teras, why are you here? How did you…”

“I dropped you off here when you were drunk.”

“But…” The young thief blinked stupidly. “But why are you here?”

The mercenary sighed. “I am here on behalf of Captain Vadim of the Yarosburg guard. I’d like for you all to come with me.”

“The… the g-guard?” Eugen stammered.

“You idiot!” Marek roared, glaring at Eugen. “You told me you made it back yourself. You led this freak right to us!”

“‘This freak,’” Teras returned evenly, “would not have known who to look for if someone else hadn’t coughed up names and descriptions. Hypocrite.”

Marek swore, drawing a dagger from his belt. “No one calls me a snitch.”

“Use whatever word you want; it makes no matter to me.”

“Teras,” Eugen cut in, shaking his head. “I don’t… I don’t understand. You said you were like me. You said we were friends.”

“No, kid, I didn’t.” The bounty hunter glanced at the boy. “I never lied to you, but that doesn’t mean I told you the truth either. I was working for the guard the whole time, trying to find your hideout. Like I told you, ‘asset protection’. It was nothing personal, kid.”

“Nothing…” Eugen shook his head again, like a horse bedeviled by biting flies. “You… I trusted you!” The young thief lunged forward, hand flashing to his belt as he charged.

“Don’t-” Teras started, surprised by the ferocity of the boy’s rush. He grunted as Eugen slammed into him, and then winced as a blade pierced his side, rocking him back half a step. The mercenary blinked, looking down at the finger knife sticking out of his abdomen, a rill of blood leaking from the wound. And then his training took over.

Finger knives did not make for a good match up with a sword, even with the benefit of surprise. The short, slender blade was designed to be palmed, to slice through purse strings quickly so a thief could lift a coin pouch and flee before the target realized what had happened. In contrast, the Iron Mantis’ blades were tools of war.

Steel scraped against leather as the swords rang free of their sheathes, and Eugen’s eyes went wide as the right blade’s knuckle-duster hilt slammed up and into his ribs. Something cracked, and the boy let out a scream that turned into a gurgle as the Basilli Phas spun; the left-hand sword opened the young thief’s throat in one neat slash.

Teras looked up at Marek, whose glare had been transformed into a mask of horror. The hothead was probably no stranger to tavern brawls and back alley fisticuffs. But this was another matter entirely. “You,” the bounty hunter said, his voice deathly calm, “you and me, snitch, this is personal.”

Marek spun and darted for the hall, but Teras was swifter. Sweeping forward the Iron Mantis hooked a leg between the thief’s ankles, sending him careening into the wall. The Basilli sheathed his blades and slid both shields onto his back before gritting his teeth and prising Eugen’s knife from his side. The wound was shallow, nothing to worry about now. Catching Marek on his rebound from the collision, Teras hefted the man bodily and hauled him into the room beyond.

As he had suspected, it was a meeting or planning room of some kind. A long trestle table ran down its center, covered with maps, drawings, and even small-scale reproductions of what looked like several houses from the noble sections of the city. There was also a non-descript blonde man, staring at Teras with tired green eyes as the Basilli Phas dragged Marek to a halt. A knot of four other young men stood behind the blonde, clutching daggers, and in one ridiculous case, a candlestick bearing a still lit taper.

The blonde was not wearing red gloves, but it was obvious that he was the one in charge when the Red Hand was not here. Teras could tell, not just by the fact the others clustered behind him, but by the way they kept darting glances at him, waiting for him to tell them how to handle this invasion of their home. The Iron Mantis addressed himself to the blonde, ignoring the group of accomplices. “Do you know what happens to thieves where I come from?”

Not waiting for a response, the bounty hunter slammed Marek up against a nearby timber beam, one of several supporting the trusses of the open-ceilinged room. Teras’ left secondary held the hotheaded thief there with a crushing grip on his windpipe while his left primary grasped Marek’s wrist and forced it against the beam. His right primary drew a mailbreaker from his belt. “Truth be told, they work them to death. The Colonies are nothing if not efficient.” With casual disdain, and without taking his eyes off the blonde and his cadre, the mercenary drove the mailbreaker through Marek’s palm and deep into the wood of the pillar. Pitching his voice slightly to carry over the pinned cutpurse’s screams, Teras continued. “I hear they lose hands in these parts. I find that barbaric.”

Releasing Marek’s throat, the Iron Mantis drew his blades again. “You also draw and quarter traitors.” Teras paused for a moment, dark-eyed gaze settling on each of the thieves in turn. “This rat gave you up, and then he let Eugen die for it.” Steel flashed, sliding down and biting through vulnerable flesh in a pair of eviscerating slashes. Turning away from the dying man, the Basilli gave each blade a swift flick to clear the worst of the blood from them. “I am no longer in a good mood. So I will say this once: Lay down your arms and come quietly. I get paid whether you come before Vadim on your feet or on your backs.”

“There’s five of us!” One of the cluster shouted, the fool holding the lit candle. “We can take ‘im Alois!”

“Shut up.” The blonde, presumably Alois, returned. He was still staring at Teras. “Your word on it, no more?”

“I’ve no wish to prolong this idiocy. Come quietly and you will not be harmed.”

Of course, then the house had nearly come down on top of them. But they had all made it out, the living anyway; Teras turned the thieves over to the guards’ tender mercies, and that was the conclusion of his business in Yarosburg. The only thing that bothered the bounty hunter was that he had never managed to turn up the Red Hand. Captain Vadim had been content enough with capturing the ringleader’s underlings, and paid Teras the rest of his fee, with a not inconsiderable bonus on top.

The perceived failure had rankled the Basilli, but he had finally secured passage on a ship, and in the end his pursuit of Wiedii was more important than appeasing his pride. Scouring Yarosburg for one thief out of a city packed to the gills with them would have been its own effort of years.

He glanced at Clotter’s corpse, feeling the same vague sense of unease he had felt watching the port city recede into the distance from his place at the White Shrike’s rail. It felt like something not quite whole, a final page that had yet to be filled.

Like before, he shrugged the feeling off. Settling his dark-eyed gaze on the man Clotter had been fighting previously, Teras addressed himself to the present. “Well Archer, I suppose it’s you and me now.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
8/8/2017 20:04:27   
TormentedDragon

The paleface was quick, dropping just in time to swing under the fist. Claws moved for Bearpuncher’s switches, and froze on contact. Too slow; the arm had passed. The knob swung back, and the Boomersuit’s torso stopped dead, then swiveled back the other way. Swift manipulation of levers brought fist and spike back into line, Ee-nuk flicking through options in his mind –

His ears twitched. Those pings again, off-rhythm. His feet froze, Stomper still just barely off the ground, and his lips drew back in a blindingly white, toothy grin. “Not this time, slidey.” His foot jerked forward, and Stomper swung out in a vicious kick, spikes glinting in the orange Forge-light.

Ee-nuk frowned. No sound or shudder of impact. Swing an’ a miss then, and he could feel the gyros working to keep the suit upright. He slid the pedal back down, and Stomper touched to the ground, sliding off whatever had pinged to it and coming back to rest flush on the stone. A moment later the Boomersuit jerked, ever so slightly; Ee-nuk’s eyes flicked to the glaring yellow light on the Balance panel. “Tryin’ to pull me down?” he muttered, hand hovering over the green knob.

But nay, hang on. Paleface were too light for that, would know better’n tryin’. First attack from the back, nowhere in front. “Alright,” he said, pulling two levers back, “let’s see if’n you like this, slidey.” Music was at a good spot. And… now. His claw flipped the switch and, alongside the music’s ‘Swear on me mum!’ the rear vents unleashed a blustering rush of air.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2017= Forge Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition