Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=EC 2017= Sky OOC

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2017= Sky OOC
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/24/2017 0:03:22   
  Starflame13

This thread will be your OOC forum for the competitors of the Sky Arena to discuss tactics, collaborations, plots, as well as to ask questions of your fellow combatants and to provide any additional details necessary to clarify your character or your actions.

Each of the combatants in this arena will be placed at an equidistant starting point. The order in which you are listed in the roster is the relative location you enter the arena in, with the first competitor entering in at the North of the arena and moving clockwise around the edge of the arena. Alternatively, you can view this as the competitor listed above you will be on your right and the competitor listed below you in the roster will enter in on your left. All contestants are assumed to enter roughly at the same time, regardless of posting order.

Feel free to ask me questions within this thread, via PM, or via IRC if you have any details you would like clarified. As a reminder, our new IRC channel is #RPooc , and details of how to join it can be found in the initial OOC thread. You can also use the IRC channel to collaborate with the other forumites.

The Roster
Inigo Arias , created by TitanDragonLord!
Molly Halfcrow, created by Rayen!
Willow Man, created by Ronin of Dreams!
Kana the Rain-Caller , created by Starstruck! Idle Out
Ayiso, created by Tdub!
Lieutenant Irina von Ra, created by Kooroo!

In addition, I will be editing in any questions that may be useful for all combatants to read. Beginning with:

What are the dimensions of the arena?
All Paragon Phase arenas share a similar construction when it comes to the dimensions. From the geometric center it is 65 feet (19.8 meters) of terrain until reaching either a barrier wall or, such as with Spike or Sky, the lethal hazards ringing the arena. Entrance ways vary by arena in terms of design, but consist of eight equidistant points starting from cardinal North. Were one to connect the entrances with lines, you would inscribe a perfect octagon within the circle of the arena.

But we have fewer than 8 in the arena!
While arenas are designed with a maximum occupancy of eight contestants, we'd rather let people spread out and have more arena variety than to crowd everyone into a single arena. Any locations after the last person on the roster is placed would be considered Vacant.

How are the floating islands laid out?
The arena is now divided into three rings of floating platforms, and one platform in the center. The first, and outer ring is divided into eight sections, enough for each combatant to have their own platform if the arena was at full capacity. The second ring is made up of four piece, and is located five feet lower than the first ring. The third ring is comprised of two pieces, on the same level as the outer ring, and the central platform is five feet higher. Each platform is separated from the others by a distance of 5 feet (1.5 meters). Mages will catch you if you fall, so you won’t die, but you will be disqualified. There is a channel lining the edges of the floor along the platform that can be used as a hand-hold, and the platform sides are rough, pockmarked, and chipped from prior battles.

Are their environmental effects in this arena?
Yes! The first is a minor gravitational effect. While nothing significant enough to send your characters flying, and while your speed will remain the same, your jumping abilities will be increased by a third. For example, if you can usually jump 3 feet (0.9 meters) vertically, now you jump 4 feet (1.2 meters). The other effect caused by this arena is that the air is slightly thinner. Not enough for your character to struggle to breath, but enough where it's noticeably harder to take full, deep breaths.

What's the deal with the asteroids?
The asteroids forming the boundary wall of the arena range in size from a few inches (5-10 centimeters) to 6 or so feet (2 or so meters). They are rotating around you at a speed of about 20 miles per hour (32 kilometers per hour). While you can attempt to interact with them, you will be crushed if you fall into them.

< Message edited by Starflame13 -- 7/28/2017 0:05:07 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
7/24/2017 0:40:05   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

As a bit of advance notice / warning: If you wish to contact me, whether for clarifications or collaborations, please do not attempt to use forum PMs. Either ask here in the thread, which I will check religiously, or if you need something more conversational I can provide Discord information to suit.

That said, may the best writers survive.
AQ  Post #: 2
7/24/2017 7:17:35   
TitanDragonLord

Good luck everyone, looking forward to playing Super Smash Bros writing with you all!

If you want to collaborate, either hit me up in the thread or on Discord, Titan#9520.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 3
7/25/2017 6:30:47   
Kooroo

Best of luck. I'll probably have the post up either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon, other activities allowing.
This should be fun, though I am mildly/3 years out of practice with regards to RP-related violence.

Uh, Discord, Skype and whatever is also available if needed, though I'm gonna warn you, I'm really bad at checking either of them.
Steam's the best, as that's the only thing that doesn't have its sound muted and I don't forget about, but uh, I don't think that's really appropriate.
Forum PMs are also a thing.
AQW Epic  Post #: 4
7/25/2017 11:10:16   
Tdub

Here we go again, good luck to everyone!

If you need me I'll be on these boards far too often so in-thread or PM works. I'll also hop on IRC every now and then, and if you want you can talk to me while I try to figure out how to use Discord! Fun!
Post #: 5
7/26/2017 1:48:57   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

There are a number of things that either were left on the cutting room floor, or are relevant visual aids of reference for my post. I felt like sharing both rather than just the relevant bits for everyone’s amusement.
  • The Willow Man's registration information consists of a pair of pictographs for his name and a handy stone for the element. The pictographs depict The Willow Tree and The Faceless Man respectively.
  • The bard being barred from the registration site was part of cutting down content that I felt didn't have enough impact or characterization. The reason behind being barred may, in fact, be guild related rather than a public ban. It just worked better as written.
  • At one point the bard was supposed to try and pull out the needles, thinking the Willow Man simply hadn't bothered to 'clean up'. The Willow Man would've smacked his hand away and growled. This too wound up on the cutting room floor.
  • The bard is intentionally nameless. If you would like to involve the same bard as a fluff bit in your own works, feel free to do so. Feel free to give him a name too if that's your fancy.
  • Grab a pen, pencil, or chopstick. Loosely hold one of the ends between your fingers and have the rest hang free. Loosen your grip slightly. Notice how it dips along the back of your hand? Now imagine the pen as a needle roughly 3 inches long. That's precisely how it is held, and how 'visible' it would be. This is much easier to DO than to describe, as I was unfortunate to find out in attempting to do so.
  • Describing stances is a very technical art. Not quite getting the idea behind what I portrayed? No worries, have a reference photo. Where stances are concerned, I'll try to be nice and do this each time.
  • I am still working on the poem referenced. Yes it is useful fluff. No, it was not worth delaying my post further. I felt doing so would have been rude. I will, however, post the entire poem here in the OOC thread and ask Star to edit it into my bio for future reference for all concerned.

That said, I am rusty. Please excuse my dust while I knock all of it off. And don't worry, intros may run long but I do try to be much more concise with combat posts.
  • AQ  Post #: 6
    7/27/2017 14:06:53   
    Kooroo

Apologies for the late, late post, but some things came up and wouldn't go back down without using the shovel like... uh, arm-strengthening gym equipment. Remember, it's not considered murder if it was undead to begin with.
    This is what happens when you do stuff all for 2 and a half years, and try to use necromantic techniques to get back into it (and to quash a small rebellion in one go, but worth a try).

Completely-seriousness aside, the post is up. It took longer than expected, as intros normally do, and the dialogue is constrained due to time and a writer's 3D geometric shape.
    Will probably follow that up at some point, probably at milestones or major turning points when they're reached, but we'll see. Maybe it'll be kept OOC, if it takes too long to write.

Relevant information, relevant information, hm. Nope.
    The good LT is standing there with her sword drawn, ready to fight. Pretty much like everyone else.
    Would be on the third platform with Inigo currently if she wasn't too patient/cautious for her own good.

Before I forget, the undeserved bone-breaking and Instahealing before, as well as the bullying and harassment has done nothing to her fighting skills. She's a veteran soldier with a good deal of experience and engagements under her belt, though with drastically different conditions. Adaptation is pretty important though, so hopefully she makes like a pretty octopus.

Let's see how this plays out, eh?

< Message edited by Kooroo -- 7/27/2017 14:12:59 >
    AQW Epic  Post #: 7
    7/27/2017 14:42:28   
    Ronin Of Dreams
    Still Watching...

I have concocted a rough positional guide for tracking character movements, you can find it as a Google Drawing here.

A much more artistic attempt at rendering the arena - from which I based the position map in terms of how platforms were positioned, comes to use from TitanDragonLord. You can find that map here, through the magic of Discord.

That is all for this particular check-in. I'll be eyeing idle timers, as I already have ideas, though I would prefer them dashed to the asteroids ringing out arena instead.
    AQ  Post #: 8
    7/27/2017 20:16:10   
    TitanDragonLord

After some confusion about the height of the rings, my post needs just a spot of clarification. Just a minor thing, that Inigo wouldn't 'leap' to the third ring, but instead would climb up to it. I didn't realise the second and third rings were different heights, as my brain processed the outer platforms as anything but a ring for some reason, which mixed up some things. Like I say, it's a real minor thing, but it's good to clear things up when there's a mistake been made.
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 9
    7/28/2017 0:04:39   
      Starflame13

A good first round from most people, but sadly, not everyone.

Starstruck! You have not posted since the competition officially opened at 12:01am on Monday the 24th. Your deadline for making your first post has just passed. You are hereby disqualified due to Rule #3: Idle out. Your character is now at the mercy of the other combatants.
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
    7/28/2017 1:13:49   
    Ronin Of Dreams
    Still Watching...

I won't post tonight, but I have one written and primed. Would like to sleep on it before posting, to reread with not such tired eyes.

Content-wise: It will handle the Idle Elimination. I talked with Tdub about it and he graciously is letting me handle it, deciding instead to hunt more active prey. Besides, Titan has some directed action to deal with, out of the three of us who "most need" to post next for timer sake.

Edit /w Post Commentary:

• I asked Tdub prior to writing this post if he would prefer the honors, but graciously he left it to me instead. I know I said that before, but there is a measure of...catharsis in this, for me. Having been Director so many years myself, Idle Eliminations are something watched from a distance after making a simple declaration. I prefer being on this side of that coin.

• Kana will survive the fall, under my understanding, unless Starflame decrees otherwise. A broken nose and probably a few busted ribs, maybe, but the character deserves some chance in a future EC. I also hope that my portrayal gave credit to the effort of what Kana might have done had Starstruck not seemingly disappeared at an inopportune time. The character certainly had promise to really ruin several folks' day in Sky.

• “Nguciwakeun…” literally means “Disappointing…” in Sudanese. Though, again, I am not a native speaker of that language nor really a student. I just would rather base fictional non-”Common” languages on exotic real life ones. Don’t dare me to try and pronounce it, please, I’d make a hash of it. In other words, Google Translate is a very fun and useful tool. I can go back and provide translation for the other bits from the intro post as well if anyone would like.

• As far as stances go, the Willow Man is in the act of guarded recovery from the kick at the end of the post, something like this image portrays. I'll also underline links from this point forward, they don't really show up that evidently otherwise. Personal gripe about the forum's display, I'm sure.

< Message edited by Ronin Of Dreams -- 7/28/2017 14:01:39 >
  • AQ  Post #: 11
    7/28/2017 23:46:10   
    Tdub

Alright, so it begins. Ayiso's attack occurs at around the same time as Willow Man's attack on Kana, but probably not the exact same time (maybe a moment or two later), since Willow Man jumped while Ayiso was singing, continuity is hard, yada yada yada.

Ice shards inboud, Lt. Irina.
    Post #: 12
    7/29/2017 3:43:21   
    Kooroo

Ho? Excellent.

I'll start working on a post now, though I want to check up on a few things.

@Tdub:
    So it's a skull-sized orb of ice shattered into several dozen shards, right? How fast are they?

Also, am I right in guessing that Ayiso is causing the orb to follow her if she moves, and the spread of shards wide enough that Irina still might be hit if she moves?

... Uh, on second thoughts.
    Maybe let me know if you have some other chat program or you've got Discord working. My PM box is full, so discussion over that won't work well.
    And I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

< Message edited by Kooroo -- 7/29/2017 4:13:08 >
    AQW Epic  Post #: 13
    7/29/2017 8:29:22   
    Starstruck

Aaaaaaaaaah this'll teach me not to submit super-early and then stop checking the forum entirely. Good luck to all of you!
    DF MQ  Post #: 14
    7/29/2017 11:00:41   
    Tdub

@Kooroo You can message me on Discord anytime at Tdub#4786, and I'll try to be on the RP IRC at around 7 or 8 forum time, if that works. Let me know if anything else would be better!
    Post #: 15
    8/1/2017 0:33:31   
    Ronin Of Dreams
    Still Watching...

I have a post pretty much completed. Given issues that may take more time than planned tomorrow morning, I have a backup of the post given to Starflame to post on my behalf if I do not manage to show and post on my own by 1 PM server time. This is a backup plan, as I hope to have it up by noon or at least be around and able to do so.
    AQ  Post #: 16
    8/1/2017 23:51:31   
      Starflame13

Either Tdub or Kooroo - I know some collaboration was involved, but was express permission given by Kooroo to allow this attack?

quote:

Before his sharpened mind was too far taken by his attention to detail, he glimpsed movement from the corner of his eye. The glowing woman had thrown out her hand, launching a small bolt of light. Without time to think, Ayiso launched himself forward, rolling over his shoulders to land, squatted down, on his feet. Fortunately, the mental clarity that came with the mist allowed him to focus on maintaining his hum through the roll, ensuring the tune would continue as the woman’s Light magic sped past him.

Since I hadn't heard from one of you prior (or saw a comment here), I need one of you to confirm/deny that this was approved on both sides in order to avoid bunnying.

Edit: Kooroo confirmed this for me via IRC, thank you!

< Message edited by Starflame13 -- 8/1/2017 23:57:19 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 17
    8/2/2017 9:04:07   
    Tdub

My bad, I meant to pop in here and mention the collab, but I forgot. Sorry!
    Post #: 18
    8/3/2017 7:29:30   
    TitanDragonLord

Hey guys, I'm gonna be out of town from Saturday until next Saturday, so this might affect my ability to post in that time. Nothing incredibly major, I'll still have internet and I'll be speaking to Starflame if half day / full day extensions are needed in that time. Just thought I'd give you all a heads up in case that does end up happening. Next post should be up within the next 2 or 3 hours.
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 19
    8/3/2017 21:27:13   
    Dragonknight315

Edit: Accidentally posted in the wrong thread. My bad. <.<

< Message edited by Dragonknight315 -- 8/3/2017 21:28:05 >
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 20
    8/5/2017 3:56:26   
    Ronin Of Dreams
    Still Watching...

I have posted. I have a personal self-loathing of said post. In part given the circumstances of timing (OOCly, not ICly) involved.

As far as IC content goes: Willow Man logically had every reason to see that harpoon coming, and so I wrote it appropriately. Not an inconceivable distance to dodge, either. Heavy thrown weapons have much less velocity than, say, an arrow or magical bolt and it did have ~60 ft of distance (give or take given the probable arc of the throw) to go. Also, I did check with Rayen about the explosion type, so it wouldn't have effected his leap through the air. Just the shrapnel bit, which was a tricky bit of timing to portray at nearly 4 AM.

I am very, very tired. This post is not my best effort. Timing put me in a massive bind, so it is what it is.

...I do realize I have a slight error that I will request an edit for via Starflame. Namely, he is landing on the platform that was formerly Ayiso's starting platform. Not, as it seemingly implies with the current language, Irina's current platform.

E: That was purely a fatigue error of reference. I apologize. But as I work pretty much all day tomorrow and would be even worse off to try and write then rather than stay up late, it is what it is. Until the post can be edited, treat this as a notice of the positional error and its intended fix.

Ex2: I know far more about the mechanics of a modern javelin throw than I ever expected to, and all to backtrace a relative idea of time of flight for the harpoon.

< Message edited by Ronin Of Dreams -- 8/5/2017 4:07:23 >
    AQ  Post #: 21
    8/5/2017 9:25:36   
      Starflame13

Ronin has my permission for the edit as Willow Man's position needs to be clear for those attempting to attack or run from him. Any who post today before said edit is made, please work with the correct OOC position rather than the incorrectly stated IC one.
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 22
    8/5/2017 21:43:45   
    Tdub

Irina's actions in my latest post were discussed and approved by Kooroo. Happy fighting!
    Post #: 23
    8/5/2017 23:51:43   
    Ronin Of Dreams
    Still Watching...

It isn't exactly a fanciful edit, but another 12+ hour day of work is still exhausting. It will do, especially with the ease of reference in the positional document as well.
    AQ  Post #: 24
    8/8/2017 11:27:41   
    Rayen
    Constructively Discussional!

I did just realise that I made a typo - very minor, but worth mentioning in case of confusion. Start of the second paragraph, "Given the particularly fine aim of her throw, he struggled" should be "she struggled". But let's all pretend we're Time Lords and above such primitive constraints as gender? Her hide's as tough as any man's, anyway - though don't tell her I said that!
    AQ DF  Post #: 25
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2017= Sky OOC
    Page 1 of 212>
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition