Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

It's time for a forum overhaul.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [AE Forum Resources] >> Forum Support and Suggestions >> It's time for a forum overhaul.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/4/2017 11:18:32   
Phlynch

With the big push to make all things AE mobile friendly, the forums have been left in the dust. It's a pain to find, a pain to navigate, and if you're on a phone it's a pain to post on and read. Not to mention the formatting language is older than dirt so it's a pain to use.

I think it's finally time these fourms got an overhaul.
Post #: 1
8/6/2017 9:14:42   
Phlynch

One feature of the overhaul could be using our in game characters for avatars. We all have character pages, and AQW's pages even have an avatar maker built in, so I don't think it would be that hard to add while rebuilding the forums.
Post #: 2
8/6/2017 11:33:47   
Shadowhunt

Technically, we could use in-game characters for avatars already, it just requires the additional steps of taking the picture yourself, editing it to the right size, and uploading it. But it's that last part, the uploading it, where issues arise, as custom avatars are a right reserved for certain people. Using your own character as an avatar, and allowing everyone to do it, would run into the issues of why custom avatars aren't granted to everyone in the first place. In theory, you could make avatars based on your character and then send them in to be uploaded, but then everyone would be able to use it if they wanted, rather than it being solely yours.
AQ AQW  Post #: 3
8/6/2017 14:44:32   
Phlynch

quote:

Technically, we could use in-game characters for avatars already, it just requires the additional steps of taking the picture yourself, editing it to the right size, and uploading it. But it's that last part, the uploading it, where issues arise, as custom avatars are a right reserved for certain people. Using your own character as an avatar, and allowing everyone to do it, would run into the issues of why custom avatars aren't granted to everyone in the first place. In theory, you could make avatars based on your character and then send them in to be uploaded, but then everyone would be able to use it if they wanted, rather than it being solely yours.

I don't see why custom avatars should be reserved for anyone. I mean I don't have to pick from a list of faces in real life, I look like me. I understand the need to be able to single out forum and game staff. But if we where all using our character pages as avatars then the people with actual artwork would still be recognizable.

Even if the avatars stay right there they are, the rest of the forum is severely outdated. It is not at all friendly to new posters or anyone using a mobile device.
Post #: 4
8/7/2017 11:56:49   
ShadowMoon

quote:

allowing everyone to do it, would run into the issues of why custom avatars aren't granted to everyone in the first place

i thought that they weren't allowed due to them being a perk mostly for AKs and former AKs.
theres really no other reason why avis would be more or less banned whist sigs are still allowed.
just wish we could have seahawk upload some non-ae stuff to the pool...

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
8/7/2017 12:38:01   
Shadowhunt

The avatar issue is pretty well addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions:
quote:

3) "Why can't everybody have a custom avatar?"
quote:

First, practically speaking, storage space can be tight sometimes. We have a lot of posts in the database, and a lot of members.
Second, speaking on policy, custom avatars are a privilege used to denote status. They are given either to those who are helpful or creative or to those who volunteer their time.
Third, aesthetically speaking, we have made the decision that all of our publicly-available avatars would be based on the Artix Entertainment games. This is an Artix Entertainment forum. If you're not satisfied with the choices, submit your own AE-related avatars or earn the privilege to upload your own.
Being used to denote status (forum staff, titled, etc.) is definitely part of it, but not the sole part. I don't disagree that it would be fun to allow people to use their characters as avatars, but there are practical reasons for disallowing it.

That being said, there's also something of an answer to the issue of a forum overhaul in the FAQ:
quote:

As the bottom of every page informs us, we are currently running on ASPPlayground.NET version 2.4.2 SP2. We know that is not the most recent version. However, our forum coders have modified the code and added enough custom features that our software bears little to no resemblance to the official published version. They would have to redo all of those modifications in any new versions. With that said, making the case to upgrade is a tricky proposition. It's really unnecessary.
They may be outdated and difficult to use on mobile devices, yes, but overhauling it would require a large amount of work and there may not be the time and manpower to do it. Could an entirely software allow a more modern forum that still allows the same control we currently have with little to no modification? Probably. But who is going to work on it and implement it?
AQ AQW  Post #: 6
8/7/2017 13:41:33   
Phlynch

quote:

The avatar issue is pretty well addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions:
quote:

quote:

3) "Why can't everybody have a custom avatar?"
quote:

First, practically speaking, storage space can be tight sometimes. We have a lot of posts in the database, and a lot of members.
Second, speaking on policy, custom avatars are a privilege used to denote status. They are given either to those who are helpful or creative or to those who volunteer their time.
Third, aesthetically speaking, we have made the decision that all of our publicly-available avatars would be based on the Artix Entertainment games. This is an Artix Entertainment forum. If you're not satisfied with the choices, submit your own AE-related avatars or earn the privilege to upload your own.

Being used to denote status (forum staff, titled, etc.) is definitely part of it, but not the sole part. I don't disagree that it would be fun to allow people to use their characters as avatars, but there are practical reasons for disallowing it.

None of these apply to character page avatars though.

We already have a page for everyone's character, and even if we didn't hard drive space is stupidly cheap nowadays. You can get a terabyte of space with what you have in your pockets.

True custom avatars would still be a privilege because normal posters are only able to use how they look in-game while staff could use any image they wanted.

They would still be AE related because they are taken straight from the games.

As for the matter of the update itself, forum technology has been evolving for years now. It's very likely that most if not all off the custom changes that would take so much time are either baseline or no longer needed on newer frameworks.

< Message edited by Phlynch -- 8/7/2017 21:30:13 >
Post #: 7
8/13/2017 14:55:47   
Gandiral

I agree no doubt that the forums need to be reworked so it's more user-friendly. As well, it may be worth considering, as mentioned before, to rework the forums so that it looks more modern and less prehistoric like MSN. I think moving to mobile would allow for the forums as a whole to be more user-friendly and can create an active audience once again. Forums no doubt need to be reworked for a more modern look.
AQW  Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [AE Forum Resources] >> Forum Support and Suggestions >> It's time for a forum overhaul.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition